Pax : Forest Gate (Jygust 30, early TT)

Moderators: Vanadius, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Tink
Civus

Pax : Forest Gate (Jygust 30, early TT)

Post by Tink »

The main gate to Pax is known as the Forest Gate. It is usually manned by two bored looking guards of the Pax Honestus, the legion formed to keep order in the new outpost. Apart from the usual farm traffic that comes to and fro on a regular basis, most new arrivals come through the portal and the gate guards have little to do save stare into the nearby forest. Paths from the gate lead down into the forest and the River Clearwater.

The most notable thing apparent to new arrivals is not the gate or guards but rather the long, high, elegant walls of the town. The Wall (Pax) has an air of balance and grace to it, despite the fact that it also looked sturdy enough to withstand whole armies - and its design was somehow foreign to the eyes - unlike everything else in Pax, which was simple and functional and the very opposite of beautiful, the wall was built to some completely different standard. As if it had been plucked from elsewhere, from another city, and simply plonked here without thought. Or as if it had always been here, in spirit.

The dapper looking Sergeant Caverton often tends the gate. He is assisted by Private Jarren Youngblood

The early afternoon sun shone down, filtered by the forest canopy above. Tink could hear faint birdsong in the distance, and the occasional rustle of wildlife in the underbrush off on either side of the path. He always enjoyed summer time in the mountains, a brief respite from the snow and winds. Summer in Pax, however, was apparently a bit warmer than Tink was used to -- he had shed his tunic early in the day and the shade in the forest was keeping the temperature quite pleasant. Back home he'd still be wearing his tunic, especially in the shade!

The light gradually grew brighter as the trees thinned out. Tink urged his pony to pick up the pace a touch, "Come on Lazy, we're almost there!" He was getting excited at the prospect of reaching Pax Balthasar, though his excitement was flavored with a hint of apprehension -- Tink was just about out of food and his meagre supply of coin was dwindling fast. He continued chattering to his pony as they left the forest and approached the gate to Pax Balthasar.
"It's about time too, don't you think? I'll be happy for a bed to sleep on, a roof that doesn't leak, and maybe even a meal I didn't have to cook for myself. Not that your meals are cooked anyways, but you know what I mean. Or at least you would know what I meant if you could understand what I was saying..."

As they came closer to the guards at the Forest Gate, Tink smiled brightly at the older guard, and started talking...
"Hi, my name is Tink, but you can call me Tink. I'm from Khan! Well, I was born in Khan, and I grew up in Khan too, have you ever been to Khan? Maybe you met my Dad, his name is Dinkum, but anyways, I'm coming from Killem'toh, that's where I went after Khan, I was apprenticed to Frederick Hailstish, he's an astronomer, and he lives in a little cabin up on top of the mountain there, though he spends most of his time on the observing platform, rather than in his cabin. Have you been? It's amazing! You can see all kinds of crazy things in the sky, things I never knew existed, do you know what a Nebula is? I do! Well, really, actually, I don't know what it is, but I know what it looks like! I've seen it! I drew a picture of it once, but Frederick threw it in the fire and made me do it again. And again. And again. And that wasn't much fun, but I did it anyways, but looking for new things in the telescope was much more fun than drawing pictures of the same stupid thing over and over again. But anyways, that's what I was doing in Killem'toh but I'm not in Killem'toh anymore, I'm on my way to Pax Balthasar! Actually, I suppose I've arrived at Pax Balthasar, this is Pax Balthasar isn't it? That's what my map says it should be, want to see?"

At this point Tink paused to take a breath, and began fishing around in his saddlebag, looking for his map.
Last edited by Tink on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

The road through the Gate was extremely busy and it took a little time before Tink found himself before two soldiers both wearing the uniform of the Pax Honestus Guard. The sergeant in charge, one Norville Caverton, was a lean man of medium height with a well-established jet black moustache. He was immaculately attired, making even his modest uniform appear to an elegant garment. In contrast, his companion was a scrawny youth wearing an ill-fitting uniform that had obviously been put on in great haste.

As the young gnome approached the gate, the dapper looking sergeant made to speak but before he could do so, Tink began to chatter. A bemused grin of resignation appeared on the sergeant’s face. The One save me from these gnomes. Always chattering inanely, blowing things up and scuttling around the place.

The sergeant tapped one hand on the side of his thigh as he continued to listen impatiently. When the young gnome had finished, the guard turned to his young companion who was holding an open ledger and writing implement. “Apparently this fellow is called Tink; occupation, talking rapidly; religion, the God of confusion.”

The young soldier duly wrote down the information in his book. “’Ow do you spell conffussion, serge?”

Caverton raised his eyes to the heavens before returning to the gnome who was busy searching for his map. “Are you here for the festival? Or, are you looking to reside here? Perhaps set up a business? If you let me know your intentions, I might be able to assist you.”
Tink
Civus

Post by Tink »

Abandoning his search for the map, Tink turns back to Caverton to answer his questions.

"Oh, a festival? There's a festival? I didn't know there was a festival, but it sounds like fun! I love festivals! Actually, I've never been to a festival, or at least not a festival in a real town like Pax, we had feasts back home in Khan, is a festival much like a feast? There was lots of food, and pretty girls danced, but Ma' made me go to bed before they got finished. I was only a kid then, and haven't ever been to a festival when I didn't get sent to bed, that sounds like it'd be great fun!"

In an amazing display of lung capacity, Tink continues talking without pausing for a breath...

"Oh, you want to know why I'm here though don't you? I'm thinking maybe I'll look for a job, since I ate the last of my food this morning and I'm nearly out of money, and it's hard to buy more food without money, I suppose I could try fishing in the river, and actually I might do that anyways because I like fishing, do you like fishing? My Da' said it's a waste of time but I like it anyways. Anyhow, yeah, I think I'll stick around awhile, and see if Pax agrees with me! Killem'toh didn't agree with me, actually, Killem'toh was fine, but Frederick didn't agree with me so much. I don't know that I could set up a business, but I'd like to learn how! Actually, I'm not sure I'd want to run my own business anyways, it seems like it'd be pretty boring, but who knows! Before I can think about that though I think I need some food, and a cold drink, and a soft bed, and maybe a bath. Do you think I need a bath? Ma' always said we should get one every week, but Da' said twice a year was all he ever needed! Do you think I stink? I don't think I stink. I think my pony stinks, but I can fix that when I brush him down, except I don't have a brush to brush him with but if I put him in a stable they'll probably have a brush and maybe they'll let me use it, he's got burrs in his tail too, did you see? I can't see them but that's because I'm sitting on him, but when I get off I can see them, and I'd like to get them out, because they'll just get more matted and then it'll be almost impossible to get them out and then I might have to cut them out and that would look silly!"

Finally, lungs exhausted, Tink pauses to take another breath.
Guido Cercatoro

Caverton sighed as he listened to the gnome. He could get a job powering an airship with the amount of hot air he’s producing. It’s a good job it’s festival day and I’m in a good mood.

“Most places are full with people arriving for the festival,” explained the sergeant in a patient voice. “However, you might still find room at the Gate tavern, which is the biggest inn in town. Or, if you prefer there is the Father’s Grace where many gnomes congregate.” And cause a bloody nuisance. “The festival is in the field behind the barracks and starts this eventide. If you want to inquire about jobs, try the Merchant’s Hall; if you want a plot of land or other accommodation, you might try the Provost Office but things are difficult what with the refugees..”

“Now, is there anything more I can do for you?” Before I kick you through the gate.
Tink
Civus

Post by Tink »

"Thank you, you've been very helpful! Do you think Father's Grace will have any rooms? I think that's probably where I'll go first, but if they don't have any rooms I can go try the Gate Tavern, hopefully they'll have rooms but if they don't have rooms then I'm not quite sure what to do, though I suspect what with the festival and all there will be lots of people who don't make it back to their rooms tonight! Not that it really helps me any since they still paid for their rooms so noone else gets to use it, but I suppose that's the way things, go, isn't it? How long is the festival going to last? Is it just this eventide or will it be going on several days? I rather hope it goes on several days, though maybe if it ends sooner a room will be available sooner, but if I can find a room anyways then it doesn't much matter. I think I'd best hurry though and get to Father's Grace before anyone else gets there looking for a room since they probably don't have many left if they have any at all, don't you think? I'll check Merchant's hall after I secure a room I think, or maybe the provost, or probably both! Where is the Merchant's hall, or the Provost for that matter? I suspect I could find the Gate Tavern if it's the biggest in Pax since I can see it, but I'm not sure where to find anything else."

Tink paused a moment in the hopes that Caverton will give him the directions he asked for. He took the opportunity to look around at the gate and noticed the peculiar nature of the town wall, which somehow he'd managed not to notice until just now. Perhaps he was too busy talking to pay attention.

Now that his attention was drawn to the wall, Tink hopped off his pony, and kneeled next to the wall, completely absorbed in what he was seeing, and completely oblivious to any reply Caverton may have made. He began talking to noone in particular, perhaps to himself...

"How peculiar! One of these things is not like the other..." Tink ran his hand along the stone wall, and peered through the gate at the town within. "I wonder who made it? It's most marvelous! Much better than anything we had in Khan, or even in Killem'toh"

Tink looked up at Caverton, and started firing questions off rapidly -- "Where did this wall come from? Do you know built it? Do they live here? I'd like to meet them if you know where they live? Where did they get the stone from, it's not like anything I'd expect to find here in Pax... I worked with a stonemason, you know, and I know stone!"

While Tink had, in fact, been apprenticed to a stone mason, his knowledge of stone was fairly limited. However, his faith in said knowledge was apparently quite extensive. He looked up expectantly at Caverton, glancing back and forth between the marvelous wall and the irritated sergeant.
Last edited by Tink on Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Cercatoro

Once again, the sergeant listened to Tink’s babbling in silence. “The Gate tavern is in the Main Street, you can’t miss it. And the Father’s Grace is just to the north in the gnome quarter.“ Caverton gave brief directions to both places.

Tink’s questions about the wall were the final straw. The sergeant went red in the face as if he was about to explode. “I know nothing about these damn walls. They just appeared overnight. Ask a stonemason or the Provost or some other poor bastard.”

The sergeant grabbed hold of Tink’s left ear and pulled the gnome up from his knees with a sharp yank. “Now, take your cart; take your animal and take yourself through this damn gate. And if you ask one more question, by the One I’ll kick your backside all the way to the Father’s Grace. Do I make myself clear?” He moved out of the way to allow Tink to enter the town.

(OOC: you are now allowed to pass and make/join other threads if you wish)
Tink
Civus

Post by Tink »

Tink yelped as he was pulled to his feet, glaring at the sergeant. Although Tink was outraged, the top of his head didn't even reach Caverton's waist, and the sergeant was armed to boot (not to mention trained in the use of his weaponry). Although his first instinct was to launch into a diatribe at his ill treatment, Tink had a modicum of sense, and self preservation trumped indignation. Continuing to glare at the sergeant, Tink grabbed his pony's bridle and silently led him into the city.

I've been kicked out of plenty of places... this is the first time I've been kicked in!

Amused at the irony, Tink let the scowl fall off his face, and jauntily led his pony down the street towards Father's Grace.
Guido Cercatoro

Caverton was tempted to give the departing gnome a kick up the rear but the talkative gnome was saved by a new arrival, a rather well-dressed fellow who demanded immediate attention. Consequently, Tink was allowed to enter the town without further incident.

(OOC: fin here methinks)
Guido Cercatoro

Locked for skilling
Guido Cercatoro

Skilled and archived

Return to “The Baron Estates Archives”