Tuirdhiel’s Tavern - Jy 30th - MT

These estates surrounding the larger cities of the WK include Pax Balthasar, Brie and several other smaller grounds. The barons rule supreme and intent on holding on to their belongings.

Moderators: Vanadius, Morg, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

Dray listened intently to Ulder's words.

"I suspect the creature that comes is a wolf of darkness. With the warning I received, I doubt it will be like any wolf that most have seen before. I hope you are wrong about the presence of other military forces and somebody controlling the beast."

He thought for a moment about the words Ulder spoke about the Honestus standing down and other soldiers in the area.

"How can I help? I consider you a friend and I believe that our ideals are similarly situated. My interest is in destroying the wolf of darkness, but if what you say is accurate, the fighting will involve much more than just one beast. Once my mission is complete, I would be happy to support your cause however I can."
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

"About the other force, I can say with a reasonable amount of certainty that it exists. I've had too many reports from too many different sources to say it doesn't. It's actually not that there is a force at all that I question, it's the intention of that force that has me concerned. I was merely thinking out loud about someone controlling this wolf. That it is supposed to come tonight, at the same time the rest of this is happening seems oddly coincidental. Maybe this beast thrives on conflict. Maybe it's coming to stop it. I don't have any idea, but knowing it's coming is a huge advantage, and for at least that much I thank you."

The Commander's question provoked a certain thoughtful hesitation from Ulder.

"I have to be a honest with you sir. I'm not sure our ideals go in the same direction. If they were, I would have seen you here in town, helping the people of this community fight danger, starvation and oppression. Forgive me sir. Perhaps I have too much of my father's outspoken way and blunt nature. But I have needed your help for weeks and months, not just tonight. I have needed a strong and intelligent leader of people to help these people survive. I have needed someone that the people can put trust and hope in, but you have been nowhere to be found."

Ulder shifted his feet.

"Commander, I truly believe that you care about these people and their well being and I honestly think you want to see them succeed and thrive. I would be skeptical and doubtful of anyone who told me otherwise. But these people don't see it. They can't know it because they don't know you. You have been largely absent, and that vacancy demonstrates to me, and to them, that other things take priority over them. I know you are faithful to the Mother, but what in your actions proves it? I know about the Mother, my wife is devout follower as well, and has a connection to her that is unbelievable, even to the faithful. The Mother's doctrine is one of wisdom and family. Of fruitfulness and abundance. But your absence has not spread any of these things. Families come together in times of crisis, but you have been nowhere to be found."

Ulder glanced down at his boots. The last time he confronted Draydis didn't go well. Now he was treading the same path, and he stopped himself.

"Look, to be honest, you and whatever mission you've been on may be closer to her will than I can ever imagine, and it probably is. But like many of the people in this town, I base my opinions on what I see, and what I've seen is a town that has desperately needed your wisdom, your experience, and your leadership, and it hasn't gotten it from you yet. There is something to be said for being there when the final battle is fought. That's better than nothing at all, but I hope you will understand that we have needed you and missed you. If you want to help, jump in and roll up your sleeves and get to work. Defeat this wolf thing and make this town safer. Do whatever you can. We need it."
[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=404]Ulder's Compendium[/url]

[size=67]Avatar by permission of Amok. http://en.amokanet.ru/[/size]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray listened to all the words of Ulder before he made any reply. Ulder spoke openly with words and emotions he felt were true. It seemed that both of them remembered their prior conversation and the split it caused.

The commander felt his blood begin to rise at some of Ulder's words, so he took a moment to focus his thoughts on the present goal and his Mother. It allowed him to clear his mind and calm himself. It was a new feeling for the commander, to pause as he did, so he could keep a level head. It seemed that there were more changes than he knew about from his experience in the woods.

"We should find a private place to speak. There are reasons for my absence, reasons that words alone cannot adequately describe. I mean no harm and I know that you are busy, but if we could find a private place to talk, I can show you something that I have shown no other. Though I've known you only a short time, I know I can trust you with a secret that could likely mean my death should any other learn of it. I risk sharing it with you only so you can see that while my heart wanted to be here to help the people, to lead the Emerald Guard, and to help the Mother with healing these lands, there was a good reason for my absence. Once you see what I have to show you, I would hope that you would recognize that you have just spoken without knowing all the facts of the situation. I would also hope that you could help me with my secret."

Dray's words were calm but did have a hint of his anger remaining in them. They were much different from the enraged words he spoke at Ulder the last time they talked.

"I am disappointed that you would make assumptions about my ideals without bothering to know the entirety of the situation and why I've been absent."

He smiled, though Ulder did not see his face from beneath his hood.

"Soon I hope you can correct that oversight."

Dray looked about for an adequate place to continue their discussion, but was not satisfied with what he saw.

"If we may, could we go to your camp so I can be assured that only you and I see what it is that I have to reveal?"

He waited for Ulder to reply...

"As for help, I have made contact with a few that I know in town already. Months ago, I had met some local misguided youth that indicated they would help and learn the ways of the Mother, but they are not ready in the slightest for the kind of combat that we will see this day, and I will not jeopardize their lives and lead them to their slaughter. I can tell you that those who are still with the Guard will fight on the side of justice, truth, and freedom. I assume that makes us allies, so I only need to know where you need us once the fighting begins. Before then, I am happy to help as you need. There is no time for me to create any proper strategies and learn of apparent enemy positions, so I will rely on you for guidance if you will give it."

Dray's words were now strong and full of energy. His tone was no longer anything other than friendly. Whatever had happened in the past few months, Dray had seemingly found some peace. He was still strong in his presence and words, but the reckless emotions he once exhibited were now more in check.

"I do regret my absence, but that very absence has given me the ability to help with the present. I just hope that in time there can be universal understanding."

It wasn't readily clear what Dray meant by these last words, but soon Ulder would know once the commander's secret was revealed...

DMD Member since 2005
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

The former Captain found the reply from Commander Draydis interesting, and more than a little cryptic. There was a great deal of talk of secrets and not knowing everything, which Ulder felt he had already admitted to.

"Very well. Come this way please."

Ulder lead Draydis back to his makeshift camp headquarters. It was really nothing more than a tent, but its position against the white wall, and surrounded by the cookfires and other tents of the Swordmark, it was about as private as he could muster in this day and time.

He walked inside, held the flap for the Commander, and once they were inside, he let the flap fall closed. Inside was a low wooden desk, a few maps of the surrounding environs, and a rack for his armor and weapons. This tent served as his command post, he had another that he shared with Elaine, but he knew they would not be disturbed here.

He turned to face the Commander.

"I'd offer some food or drink if I had any. Alas, much of those comforts don't exist here. I think I could manage some water if you wish."

He let the offer hang, thinking Draydis wasn't here for pleasantries. He seemed far more interested in sharing his secret, whatever that was.

"Now then..." He prompted.

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray followed Ulder to his command tent. He shook his head at the offer for water. "No thank you, sir."

He grew slightly apprehensive at sharing his secret, but knew that he could trust Ulder with what he would reveal.

"You are the only one that will know this secret. I will show you only because I feel that you may be able to help me...and I know that your word is worth more than any treasure."

With that, the commander pulled his cloak from his body. The steel-like leather armor of the hunter was worn with his Emerald Guard commander's tunic over it. As usual, his quiver and short swords were strapped securely in their place on his back. The pair of strange looking axes hung from his belt at his hips.

All seemed normal except for the places where his armor did not cover...which was largely his face and neck. His long black hair had become more like a mane, and his skin was now covered with gray and black striped short fur. His nose and jaw had elongated slightly, and a pair of canine teeth were quite obvious. The dark color of his eyes now were reflective with a yellow hue that danced as the light within the tent reflected from them. His muscles had become stronger and his frame seemed taller and more stout.

Obviously, Draydis had changed significantly. He was now more like the wolf that had formerly only been his nickname.

"The change started several months ago. It happened over the course of the months that I was gone, and involved many days of confusion, pain, and prayer. The Mother was with me the entire time."

Dray smiled at Ulder hoping that his friend would understand. At no time did Dray make any indication at all that he was even thinking about his weapons. He pulled one of his black gloves from his hand and revealed that even his hands were covered in the same fur. At the end of each finger was a claw where the nail once was.

"Prior to joining up with you, the Guard fought against a creature called the Hunter. He was once a noble creature of the Mother, but became corrupted and dark. We defeated him and his pack of demon wolves only days before we met you. If you recall, many of us were bandaged with recent wounds. You now know the reason for that. Once we defeated the Hunter, he held up his heart for us to take. Thrandil and I shared the heart...and we consumed it. I prayed to the Mother at that time to make me strong and cunning like the Hunter and to grant me the abilities of the hunt. She blessed me with this form and made me her champion of the wild."

Though he was fearsome in his appearance, Dray's eyes reflected kindness towards his friend.

"As you can imagine, my appearance would likely strike fear into those that would see me, and they would demand my death. I came back here as soon as I was able, and have not yet figured out how I could possibly be welcomed as I am. I do have plans to at least make a new uniform with a mask that would completely cover all of my body, but even with that, in time, I am sure that my secret will be revealed to all."

He smiled as he thought for a moment.

"I thank the Mother for Her blessing, as it allows me to serve Her in greater ways. I am not ashamed of my appearance, but do not want to cause panic and alarm or generate hate. In any event, I hope now you understand the cause for my absence, and accept my apology for not being here to help you. I give you my word now that I will do everything I can to set things right and earn back your respect and trust."

DMD Member since 2005
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder watched carefully as the Commander began to uncloak himself. Ulder had thought all the heavy disguise was merely to keep his presence anonymous in the town and that the Adhiel's "secret" was something else entirely.

What was revealed to him was something entirely different.

Ulder's first reaction was one of horror and shock. His sword was unsheathed in an instant, and he held the naked steel in front of himself protectively.

"Holy Gods!" Ulder swore, clearly horrified.

As Draydis began to explain, Ulder relaxed his stance a little, but he still held the sword low and ready. The Adhiel had spoke of some wolf creature that was coming to the village, and now here a wolf creature stood, so he was taking no chances. Ulder's battle with the Changer had given him a great deal of experience with creatures of the Nether, and the tricks they could play. Until he had more to go on, he would remain on guard and cautious.

"Commander, clearly you have been infected by some sort of disease or corruption. It seems to me this Hunter's taint has spread to you as well. We need to get you to a healer so we can figure out how to cure you."

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray slowly released the buckle holding his axe belt, his swords, and his row of throwing knives...allowing them all to drop to the ground. The bladed staff and bow were already against the inside of the tent where he had set them when he first walked in. "You can hold my weapons if you wish. I have no wrong intentions towards you, Ulder." The commander then held up his hands in an effort to show he meant no harm. He fully expected this kind of reaction, even from Ulder.

"That, my friend, is why I told you I had to stay away for a time. You can only imagine the shouts of pain that I let out as my body reformed itself. If I had been in this town during that time, I would have been put to the stake for certain. I had to show you because I intend on fighting alongside you this day....and possibly in the future."

He thought for a moment before continuing.

"I am not ill, nor do I wish to be cured. I prayed for the Hunter's gift...for abilities that would make me a stronger hunter. The Mother has provided me with this blessing, and it is a gift that I cherish. Everything that I was able to do before has become much easier. My senses are all sharper, my muscles are stronger, and I am faster than I ever have been."

Dray knew that Ulder cared little about it all at the moment.

"Here, look...it's still just me. Remember how I was covered with my tattoos of stripes and adhiel runes? They are still here." Dray rubbed the fur on his forearm in a backwards direction so the runes underneath the fur were partially exposed.

"The taint that covered the Hunter was vile and evil. He corrupted all that he came across. His wolves were the twisted bodies of his fallen enemies. I may look like a wolf, but my heart is still good...I am still the warrior of the Mother that I was before...I am just better able to do what I do now."

Draydis did his best to smile, which was a bit awkward due to the fangs in his mouth.

"Ask your wife to come here. She won't be able to see my body, but will be able to see my heart...my spirit...my pure connection with the Mother. Her opinion of me will not be tainted by her eyes."
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder visibly relaxed, sheathing his sword and standing more at ease, but his expression was still troubled and concerned, not of attack, but for the life and well being of the Adhiel Commander. The words Draydis spoke were deeply worrying to the former Captain.

"I must confess Commander, that I am worried for you. Not because of this... change that has happened, but for the reasons why would you embrace it. I am wondering what happened to you. Long before there was this wolf-thing, long before there were the tattoos or the Emerald Guard, there was just Draydis, the Adhiel, the man. Something happened back then that made you want to change who you are. Something happened that made you want to quit being that man, and be anyone or anything else. What happened to you where you have seemingly abandoned that man? Respect and honor start within. Are you so intent on living for the Mother that you have forgotten about you and your life? What about you and your desires?"

Ulder swallowed and fell quiet for a heartbeat, before he continued.

"I know its still you, but armies live and die in their trust of one another. The greatest forces ever assembled never doubted, never hesitated, or never questioned one another. I have to be honest with you sir. This constant need to serve the Mother, this steady fire to always be removed and different from your fellow man will make it difficult for anyone to trust you. Fellowship's foundation is commonality, but when you're so far different and distant than anyone and everything else, you've reduced trust and confidence to mere words. I'm not talking about your appearance sir, I'm talking about your intentions. You serve the Mother, yes, but what of serving your fellow man? You do her bidding, but you have abandoned everything you are and were to do it. This has nothing to to with the way you look, and has everything to do with your actions. It will take everyone time and effort to get to know you. It will take time and effort for everyone to learn what you appear to be, and what you actually are, are very different."

"You may seem your time away as necessary to complete this change, but while you were gone, we've been hard at work to bring some sort of safety and security for these people. Now you show yourself again, regardless of how you look, and they don't know you. I don't know you. Our last experience with you was one of chaos, infighting and a complete lack of discipline and respect. They can't trust you because I don't trust you. I hear your words and I believe you mean them, but lone avengers have little place here. We need people working together, building trust, building confidence in one another. The will of the Mother may not coincide with the will of the people of this town. What if what the Mother wants is far different from what the people need? Will you abandon them like you've abandoned yourself?"

Ulder shifted his weight again, knowing all to well that his words would be difficult to hear.

"I'm not trying to tear any alliance between us apart. I do want to work with you. I do want these people to see who you really are. I've wanted that from the very beginning, or else I never would have asked you to join me. But what you've shown is that serving the Mother far outweighs everything else. Listen to your own words. This isn't about how you look or what you say. Its about what you've demonstrated to the people of this town. We came through the portal, and you nearly killed one of your own people. You had an altercation with other members of the town. Then, you disappear. Please understand sir that I'm not trying to dig my spurs into you, I'm trying to help you understand that your actions, as much as anything else, have alienated you from the people of this town, myself and the Swordmark included. Trust will come. But it will take time. And I'm fully aware that it won't happen tonight. Fight your wolf creature. Do the Mother's bidding. Follow your instincts. Fight your fights. But until the people of this town see that you are fighting for them and their future, I would expect difficulty and mistrust at every turn."

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis made no reply. He simply kneeled down to pick his belts back up and secure them in place. He pulled his cloak back around him so his appearance was masked once again.

It was clear that Ulder did not understand his life, his faith, or his actions. Perhaps after the battles that were soon to come they could reach a better understanding. If not, Draydis would go on his separate way...at this point, it truly mattered little to him. Ulder had been far more judgmental and far less understanding than the commander had anticipated.

He began to speak to clarify a few things that Ulder had spoken wrong, but Draydis knew it would be pointless to argue. Instead, he slipped from the tent without another word. It was time to prepare for a fight that evening instead of talking without hope of resolution...

DMD Member since 2005
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder looked on as it seemed Draydis had something to say, but the Adhiel said nothing and put his disguise back in place and walked out without a word. Ulder pulled back the tent flap and watched him retreat into his precious, brooding solitude once more.

That is why you're doomed to fail Draydis. Everything you need, the fight, all the skills, fortitude and resolve is like a deep well inside of you. Yet no matter what, you won't drink from it, because deep down inside you're scared of it. You're forever chained to the belief that you must be feared and awed to be respected, and you've become a monster on the outside rather than face the monsters inside, and it's costing you every friend you ever had.

I wish you the best of luck Draydis. My friend, my fellow warrior. I know you are desperately trying to be a good man and a servant of God, and I pray that She will show you that love and honor for your fellow mortals is far more powerful than their fear. That is the zealots of Dominicus' way, not Hers.

I pray that She this path she has you on will lead you back to the man you're trying so hard not to be...

Ulder shook his head sadly, and returned to his preparations for the festival, and what lay beyond.

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray walked out of the camp of the Swordmark without a word to any of the men there. He was largely disappointed. It seemed that Ulder was too focused on judging, insulting, and voicing opinions instead of truly listening and accepting others. Ulder spoke as if he knew all the secrets of life and had all the answers, but he was truly just another narrow-minded human.

It was twice now that Dray had attempted to approach Ulder and twice that Ulder had decided to criticize Draydis instead of accepting him as he is. A third time would not happen. The Commander would fight the wolf this evening, and he would perhaps even help to defend the townspeople. Time would tell what he would do after the battlefield cleared.

The commander had been bothered by how he had handled his first meeting with Ulder. Draydis had lost his temper and withdrew from those that fought with Ulder. He had vowed to approach Ulder for another conversation so they could speak without losing control of his emotions again. It was sad how Ulder chose to only focus on insults and attacking Draydis, when Dray had come in peace and to offer his aid. Instead of firing insults back at Ulder, Dray decided it was best to simply leave. He knew when he was not welcome. He had hoped the meeting would have been positive, but sadly it was not.

As he walked towards his next destination, Draydis thought about the battle that would happen this night and whether or not he would aid Ulder should that opportunity present itself...

(ooc: Please consider Dray as done with this thread.)
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

OOC: I think I'm finished with the thread too. Thanks Guido, thanks Dray! :)

Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

Locked for skiiling and all that :)

Return to “The Baron Estates”