Eastern Seas meet Western Trees (Jygust 30, late MT)

Moderators: Syra, Mods

Morg

Post by Morg »

Aonail's eyes had lost a little focus while he was telling his tale, and did not regain it. "There were once many who wanted to fight," he reflected. "Most died at God's Peak. Others died when the darkness came. Still more were killed resisting the Oneist occupation. There are few here now with the will to keep fighting." He gestured vaguely in the direction of the forest beyond Kes'Levy. "Those who still have the fight in them are out in the deep woods somewhere, trying to carve out new lives for themselves. As for the majority of us, who remain here, we are committed to nothing more than trying to salvage what small comforts we can for the rest of our long lives."

Nephe'line emerged with another glass of the sparkling wine, handing it to Aonail. This time she could not resist commenting. "Achla ninadhiel, do not believe everything that he says," she warned Hue. "Truly, life under the men of the West is not so bad. We still have our homes, our lives and our livelihoods. And trade is flourishing!"

Aonail rolled his eyes. "I am a bard, Nephe'line," he murmured in response. "Telling stories is my trade. And I was merely relating the tale of our people to this woman of the East, who is new to our land." Nepheline replied by giving him a flat look, then glided off to serve the cluster of soldiers.

"So this Seraphine you met," the bard continued, "is probably trying to make the best of a bad situation. At the Apostolic Institute they try to teach us to worship the Mad God." He frowned. "But to do so we must forget the great wrongs he has done us. Perhaps Seraphine has chosen to forget, but that is a step I could never take, not while I carry the stories of my people round in here." He tapped the side of his head.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue listened thoughtfully to Aonail's words, finally remembering her water and taking a small sip from it. Nephe'line came again, handing another glass of some sort of alcohol to the other Adhiel before turning to her. Hue's eyebrows lifted slightly at her words, though she said nothing in response as the two Elves spoke and Nephe'line went on her way.

Inwardly she chided herself. Yes, the story was tragic, but Hue needed to learn more before she chose sides. And even so, this was not the main reason she had come to T'aquar, and she shifted the subject without warning.

"I have heard that the Elves have a skill with nature here. I believe it is called shaping? Is there anywhere I can learn more of this?"
[size=84]"We cannot see our reflection in running water. It is only in still water that we can see." -- Taoist proverb

[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=15174]Hue artwork[/url][/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

Aonail actually smiled at Hue's question, a contented smile as if she had proven his point. "Shaping... Would that you had arrived here a yahren ago," he mused. "Shaping is a type of knowledge that the Oneists despise. I think it is because in their heart of hearts they know that their Mad God plays no part in it. Shaping is an old magick, older than Dominicus."

The bard picked up his lute and began running his fingers over its wooden surface. "Until the darkness came, it was taught at a school in our capital, Taloh. That school, known as the Bhiradun Aidhiquir, then moved to Kes'Levy, where it was housed in one of the four great ironwoods." Again he gestured towards the mainland. "But when the Oneists came, the library of Runya was dispersed and the teaching of Shaping outlawed. The Tree of Shaping now stands abandoned. A friend of mine in the Skywatch once told me that she heard it cry out in pain, at night."

He sipped his wine. "To learn more, you would need to find a Shaper, and they have all fled to the deep woods or else are in hiding. If you look hard enough, though, you should be able to find one." The stout bard smiled. "You are human, but I see already that you are not of a kind with these foul men of the West."
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue blinked slightly at Aonail's words, slipping between them discreetly and grabbing at the unseen things hidden there. Dominicus has not always been around? Can gods be...created?? What a strange idea. I shall have to ask An.

Aonail continued, and Hue left her thoughts to follow along with this words, listening closely. When he made his observation, Hue hummed softly before shaking her head. "No, it seems the people of the West have forgotten how to look beyond themselves. There is a balance in all things that has been lost here, but perhaps can be found again."

Hue gazed thoughtfully at her water for a few flickers before looking up at Aonail once more. "Where is the Tree of Shaping? I would like to see it. And can you tell me where to look in the deep woods?"
[size=84]"We cannot see our reflection in running water. It is only in still water that we can see." -- Taoist proverb

Morg

Post by Morg »

"You are full of questions," Aonail murmured with a grin. "But it is better to be on the receiving end of a question than of a command." He gulped some wine down before answering. "The Tree of Shaping is in the south-western region of our city, or perhaps it would be more accurate to say that it is the south-western region. I do not know what you will find there apart from unhappy memories, but there are surely worse places to look. Such as the deep woods."

The bard's expression darkened. "I do not know where to look, but if you go out there, you will not need to find them. They will find you. The problem is that many of my kin who still resist the Westerners have developed a hatred of all things human. Head out into the deep woods and you are as likely to be found by a barbed arrow as by a Shaper." His green eyes were serious as he added "Even some Adhiel are hesitant to go there, these days."
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Post by Ly Binh Hue »

Hue smiled gently when Aonail pointed out the many questions she asked; but An had said she was to tell him what she had learned. Wishing to please her teacher (and satisfy her curiosity), Hue intended to learn as much as she could. But Aonail didn't seem to truly mind talking to her, so Hue continued to be attentive, memorizing all that she could.

Her eyes darkened as well, however, when he told her of the dangers of the deep woods. I could be killed immediately? She wanted to think badly of the elves for acting so brashly, but after hearing Aonail's story she could not begrudge them their hatred of humans. Would they be as ready as the bard to recognize that Hue was no ordinary human? Somehow, she didn't think so. If only Rioja had come with me.

"Maybe I will find more answers in time. I thank you for yours, respected Aonail. You have taught me much, and for that I am grateful." Folding her hands at her chest, Hue waited for any final words Aonail might give her, ere making her way back to the boat. It did not occur to her to leave any coin on the table; she'd had only water and had never been to this type of establishment before.

Morg

Post by Morg »

Aonail's cheeks reddened in a blush, though that was perhaps more a consequence of the quantity of wine he'd knocked back in the brief time he'd been talking to Hue. "A pleasure," he murmured. "Ta ealiu*, Ly Binh Hue. I hope you find the answers you seek."

Outside, Khar'Ione was reclining in the sun. The tall ferryman usually had little to do during the day, and was happy enough to take Hue back to shore, for, perhaps unlike most, he was a simple adhiel and loved his job.

Back in the inn, Nephe'line noticed that Hue had left without paying, and frowned. Aonail noticed this, and pushed a few banner across the table towards the barmaid. "For her," he explained. "Never let it be said that the hospitality of the adhiel is diminished, even in these dark times."

The soldiers at the other table continued to drink and joke, unaware that the seed of mistrust had been sown in yet another.

* May you go with the light

(OOC: I'm closing and locking this here, so as to avoid accusations of storyboarding and to allow you to get some skilz. :) Start up a thread elsewhere in Kes and I'll be with you shortly!)
Morg

Post by Morg »

Summarised and skilled! :)

Skills awarded:

Conversation +** (to Apprentice)
Language [Adhiel] +*** (to Basic+***)
Language [Common] +** (to Basic+**)
Pray +* (to Basic+*)
Theology +** (to Basic+**)

New skill: Debate (Basic+*)
New skill: Oral History [T`aquar] (Basic)
New skill: Philosophy (Basic+*)

Return to “T'aquar Archive”