Cruinnium - The Gathering

Terra West is the continent that stretches from the rolling grasslands of the Western Kingdom, the icy peaks of the Howling Ice Mountains hiding the Kingdoms of Khan and Kaza Rhun to the dragoninfested desert of Terra Incognita. To the North one can find the woodlands that house the mysterious Adhiel and the swamp that harbor Orcs. T'aquar is open as a starting location for players.

Moderators: Vanadius, Morg, Mods

Thrandil
Hunter, Lieutenant Emerald Guard

Post by Thrandil »

The Adhiel fighter ran, slowing down only to pick a bow and a handful of arrows from the ground. He would keep dashing going forward, stopping now and then to loose an arrow at the back of an Orc. It wouldn't be too hard since they didn't know when or from where it was coming, be it that they were on a full move. He had to put all his effort in his shot to make sure not to miss.

As he was out of arrows, he increased to a full spring through the forest, if need be, dashing amidst orcs, dodging their weapons, bringing down as much as he could with his own sword as he tried to get up with Eldan.

Then the second horn sounded. His body fully focused on dodging branches and trees and orcs, his mind raced to distinguish whether it was friend or foe.

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

The Orcs were a running, chaotic horde, screaming for justice for their fallen leader, and lost in the berserk rage of bloodlust and fury. Thrandil managed to injure a few more as he ran, the frantic pace not allowing for proper aims or strikes. Eldan could see and feel the Orcs pounding through the forest all around him, their crazed eyes searching for him or signs of any other living thing to slay in their rage.

The second horn sounded, and then a few flickers later sounded again. The deadly whisper of arrows cutting through the air began to rival the howling bloodthirsty Orcs. The lethal murmurs of the bolts began to fell the Orcs where they stood, as they stopped, blinking in confusion.

A handful of Orcs began to retreat and withdraw, running as fast in the other direction as they were moments ago in their chase of Eldan, their now fearful and frightened grunts carrying them away into the darkness as other Adhiel tracked them in close pursuit.

Lighted globes of gold and green began to appear in the trees as the Adhiel revealed themselves. The horn belonged to E'uinn, Elevie's brother, and the men he had taken with him away from the gathering at the River Gate. It hung loosely on a baldric of dark green that he wore. E'uinn was tall for an Adhiel, standing at least a handspan larger than any of the Warders that surrounded him. Close to his side, was the leader of the Raidhiel, a thin, whispy fierce Adhiel named Qurraine. Qurraine was dark haired and dark eyed, a stark contrast to the fair E'uinn, who looked much like a male version of his sister.

The Achlaroiliu and his close friend Qurraine appraised the situation with troubled stares as they began to assess the many dead and dying. Along with two score of the Raidhiel, they picked their way back through the woodlands to the scene of the worst of the fighting. Qurraine knelt next to Kormus, holding the warrior's hand and whispering something for his ears alone.

A Raidhiel nimbly made his way to E'uinn's side and reported.

"My Lord, there are a handful left, running north and east, back towards their borders. There are two squads in pursuit. Elevie has taken the boats south. There are no signs of Theorn or Grittain."

"Presumably they will be with her, or else they all better be dead." The Achlaroiliu replied calmly. "Bind the wounded and burn the dead. We'll be following the Awyl to find my sister. Once she is safe, we'll return to the Evergreen."

"As you command my Lord." The Warder bowed slightly and ran off to carry out his orders. E'uinn made his way over to Qurraine and Kormus, a look of sad resignation crossed his face as he bent over to look at his fallen comrade.

OOC: This thread is now passable again. Well done!
Eldan
Civus

Post by Eldan »

The horn sounded again and the Orcs pursuing Eldan began to die. For that he was grateful, and he whispered a quick prayer to the Mother in thanks. His saviors revealed themselves, the rest of the Adhiel from the River Gate.

He went with the other Adhiel back to the battle site, looking to retrieve the horn he had seen earlier on the staring dead orc, and to place the sword back into Ami's hands. He wasn't really sure why he did either, but felt like it was the right thing to do.

Noticing E'uinn and Qurraine gathered over Kormus, he made his way to them, softly speaking. "He fought bravely and skillfully my lords, against the duo that lead this warband. Truly a hero."
They will all pay, in blood, for what they did to beloved Taloh...

Posting Availability: Just about every day, unless work prevents it.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

While the rest assessed the situation, Thrandil went directly to Kormus. They had not been on the best terms in the past, but they had fought the same enemy and he had died an honourable death. He placed his hands on the head of the man, citing a silent prayer before closing the Adhiel's eyes. As he rised up again, Qurraine was approaching.

They passed each other, as Thran made his way to E'uinn, greeting the dark haired warrior. He kept silent as the Raidhiel reported to E'uinn. "E'uinn, I can tell you that Grittain and Theorn indeed were with your sister. They got away from the Orcs pursuing them, that I know for sure." he said, not mentioning his deeds in that matter. That was not important, the Princess' life was. It was saved. Pan knew it, the Mother knew it, Elevie knew it. That was all he needed.

"If I may be so free, Sir, the Adhiel that spotted them," he continued and pointed at Eldan, "has played a significant role in the fight against these Orcs. Were it not for him, one of their leaders would not have been slain and many more would've perished." He praised the new recruit, for he had been important and put his own life at risk.

"If you would excuse me, I have work to do." the warrior said before turning around. He walked over to the corpse of an Orc, trying to search it for anything of value to them. Specifically if they were carrying any divine items, like the holy symbols the Orcs had carried when they invaded Taloh Tel'Amrun. Apart from that, he tried to discern their tribe too, if he could by signs or symbols. He would keep searching Orc bodies, especially that of the leader, until he would be commanded to do anything else.

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

When Thrandil placed his hands on Kormus' head, the Warder's eyes fluttered open. He coughed and gurgled, blood splattering from his mouth and lips. He could not speak, but his eyes were still alert.

Qurraine approached and took the Warder's hand. His gaze was hard and cold towards Thrandil and Eldan.

"He's not dead. And he's not going to die. You will stop speaking of him as if he's gone." He said fiercely. "Begone!" he said with a wave of dismissal.

The Raidhiel Commander snapped his fingers and a couple in his charge quickly approached.

"Bind his wounds. Get him to my wife as quickly as possible. Aoife the healer. Quickly!"

The two knelt down and began to wrap the man from head to toe in a blanket and bound him tightly with belts and ropes. Blood could be seen soaking through the thick cloth, but Qurraine seemed satisfied with their efforts.

E'uinn nodded as they worked and helped with a pair of spear shafts as a litter was made. As the men carried Kormus off north, the Achlaroiliu turned to watch Thrandil and Eldan picking through the bodies.

For Eldan, finding Ami and returning her sword was an easy process. She lay somewhat removed from others, and somehow didn't even look like her anymore. The horn was easy to find as well, it was laying on the ground in a heap of weapons and other effects as the Adhiel scavenged through the corpses, gathering items that might be useful.

For Thrandil, many of the Orcs were tattooed or marked with a crude symbol of a fist. If they were wearing any religious symbols, none were apparent to him or were unrecognizable as such. Several other Adhiel were gathering weapons and equipment or supplies from the bodies, but it was doubtful anything had been taken without his knowledge.

After a few burns, a pile of items laid in a chaotic jumble at the feet of the Achlaroiliu He wordless poked at a few things with the toe of his boot before nodding in Eldan's direction.

"You there. Am I to understand that you slew one of this tribe's leaders and warned of their ambush? Is that correct?"
Eldan
Civus

Post by Eldan »

Poor Ami. Eldan whispered a prayer as he returned Ami's sword, closing her hands on its hilt. The horn he stuck in his belt, a momento to his first battle, and a reminder of the horrors of war. But his spirit was lightening. They had survived. A horrid price was paid, but they yet lived.

He was standing around watching when the Achlaroiliu addressed him. "My lord, I'm sure sounding of their horn warned the others, but I did happen across them while scouting. As for their leader, the Commander Kormus was battling the two leaders, and I just snuck up and surprised the beast. That's all, my lord."
They will all pay, in blood, for what they did to beloved Taloh...

Posting Availability: Just about every day, unless work prevents it.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil watched Eldan as the pile got bigger. Sentiment... he thought as the Raidhiel returned the sword to his fallen comrade. He would've made a good Guardsman. Involuntarily he felt for the missing ring on his left hand. He hadn't missed it for a few months until now. Somewhere, it was like he had lost his family and was building up a new one. The Swordmark seemed to be the start of it, but in order to find himself again, and to be able to fight the same cause with different means, he had to go back. And look where it had gotten him... Orcs on one side, humans on the other. Would there ever be a peace in T'aquar again?

As E'uinn spoke to Eldan, Thran moved towards the pair, enabling himself to hear what was being said. As the Adhiel finished, the former Lieutenant walked up to him, placing a hand on his shoulder. "You did more than that, tuirdhiel. If you did not intervene, the Captain would not have only lost his arm, but his life to them." he spoke to the unknown fighter. "Forgive me my intrusion, E'uinn." he then said, letting go of Eldan's shoulder, bowing his head to the Achlaroiliu. "Is there any service you request of me, Your Highness?"

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

E'uinn seemed pleased at Eldan's response and quick thinking.

"Very good. Very good indeed. You probably saved many lives here today..."

He paused, looking around at their fallen comrades.

"... despite the appearance otherwise."

"As for the sword, I would keep it. You've earned it, and Ami no longer needs it. It would honor her to know it was carried beyond her." The Adhiel leader suggested. It was clearly not a command, and it showed a certain heart and connection with the fallen Warder woman.

As Thrandil approached, the Achlaroiliu gave him a strange look. It was something of deep hurt mixed with equal parts relief and fear.

"Greetings to you Thrandil Mael-Muire. I salute the world in you." He said formally. "No, nothing this instant. I would very much like for you to return with us to the Evergreen. This ambush by these unbelievers has our forces in the south weald ragged. We will need to fall back and assess how best to restructure."

E'uinn called out to Qurraine as if he was suddenly reminded of something.

"Qurraine, let's get the wounded home, and make our prayers ready for those who will be crossing over tonight. We'll let Theorn and Grittain get my sister home. We have a long way to go, and much to do before we go."

Qurraine nodded and began barking orders.

The wounded were tended to in the best manner possible, and they had priority over everything else. Next the dead were gathered and arranged carefully in neat rows. It was a ritual that Thrandil had seen before, but the Raidhiel seemed to tend to it more formally, more carefully than he had ever witnessed before. The holy words were spoken over the fallen, and green boughs were laid over them to safeguard their crossing from the tether into the spirit realm.

When all was complete, they shared kind words for the dead, lest their spirits forget what friends and loved ones they were leaving behind. When all had a chance to say what they wished, the Achlaroiliu gave the quiet command to return home.

For the most part, they quietly walked north, back to Llèrionn bir Uilisruth, the River Gate. Back to Siorigaichiu , the Evergreen. They carried those who could not walk, and assisted those who could just manage. Occasional crying and sniffling could be heard, along with gentle words and even laughter as those who were not returning were remembered in low conversation.

They walked for marks, back to a home that few knew.

OOC: Thanks guys! We'll be starting a new thread from here. Well done!

Return to “Terra West”