Lamb of God (Jygust 30, TT)

The glorious Summer City upon the white cliffs of the magical Mer de la Luna in the Western Kingdom that harbours many nobles. Home to the Summer Palace of the former King as well as vineyards that produce the city's famous wines. Anything is possible here, if you are willing to bring the right sacrifices.

Moderators: Ashari, Haikan

Arnholt
Civus

Lamb of God (Jygust 30, TT)

Post by Arnholt »

"Alfie," Arnholt read, "had always been the littlest sheep in his flock. When he was born, even his own mother thought that he looked more like a bit of fuzz from a dandelion than even a very little baby lamb..."

It wasn't exactly the sort of reading material that he usually preferred. Nor was this the sort of audience that the cultist usually targeted. Ushiya saw potential in the monastery's rag-tag pack of orphans, and so did he, but he was reading to the little ones, right now. This lot was far too young to be of any use to Righteous' cause for many a yahren. Arnholt guessed he had to start somewhere, though. Working his way up the ladder: that was his real agenda here. He was pretty sure if he put in enough marks working with the children he would eventually be tapped to teach in one of the monastery's classrooms. From there he would be in striking distance to start weaving Righteous' spell over the nobles' brats who attended class here. And converting even one nobleman's son or daughter would be an enormous boon for the Righteous Order.

"...And so all of the other little lambs laughed at poor Alfie," the disguised cultist went on, affecting a solemn tone. "And that made him so sad that tiny little tears welled up in his tiny little eyes. And those tiny little tears ran down his tiny little cheeks to fall to the ground... which, since Alfie was so very small, wasn't all that far to fall..."

And then there was Ushiya herself. As she had said before, Fullys was keeping her busy these days. That could make communication among the First Circle difficult. Luckily, Arnholt's supposed interest in the young orphans gave him a fine excuse to hang around here whenever he had something important to tell her. The new revelations concerning Righteous certainly qualified, as did the dark power the Goddess of Justice had granted him. The cultist priest was quite certain that Ushiya could embrace Righteous' 'holy' hatred as well. And of course she was the perfect candidate as far as the Goddess's commandment about sharing Her secrets was concerned. Ushiya was, after all, the second most senior cultist of the new Righteous Order. She was his successor in waiting, by unspoken agreement. If not her, then who?

"...Because who was it that lead the other little lambs to safety when they were lost?" Arnholt concluded rousingly. "'Alfie!' And who was it who helped Old Father Ram pull his poor, stuck hoof out from between the rocks in the middle of the thunderstorm? 'Alfie!' And who was it who saved the flock by scaring away the Wicked Old Wolf? 'Alfie!' the other sheep all cheered. And from that day on, Alfie was no longer called 'Alfie, the Littlest Sheep,' but 'Alfie, the Sheep with the Biggest Heart.' The end."

Hopefully now he'd have a chance to draw Ushiya aside for a while. Surely Fullys owed him a moment's peace for his having kept the little fuckers occupied with the story for this long?
Haikan
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Haikan »

Both Sister Ushiya and Fullys were there as Arnholt was finishing his work with the orphans, though Fullys seemed as if she had some place to be. "Well sister Fullys, do take care of that and may the One bless you. Do you not have to oversee a new class that is starting today?" Ushiya asked. And with that, Fullys looked around and left in a hurry, having forgotten entirely of her responsibility during their chat.

Ushiya looked at Arnholt with a gleam in her dark brown eyes and a slight smile on her lips, and she tilted her head to the side. "Well, Brother Beacon, how has your day been, we've not spoken in awhile." She ushered for him to walk with her, down a hallway towards a series of private worship rooms. "Come Brother, talk with me. Unload your worries in the name of the One."
Arnholt
Civus

Still alive.

Post by Arnholt »

"I'm quite well, sister," Arnholt replied.

He snatched up his quarterstaff as he rose, using it to help lever himself to his feet. He carried the weapon nearly everywhere these days, using it as a walking stick, which was pretty much all it was these days anyhow. The cultist had never got around to learning how to wield the thing properly. He hadn't had much need for weapons at all as of late. But that, of course, could change at any moment... and he was pretty sure that he could beat the shit out of a man with the big stick if he ever really had to.

"No worries, sister," he went on as he proceeded down the hall with Ushiya. "But there is one thing on my mind. I've gotten a letter from mother."

In the Order's cant, that meant Direct contact with Righteous has been established. Which, for Ushiya, ought to be an astounding revelation. Just yesterday, the Voice of Righteous had been a purely metaphorical notion. Now it was reality. Henceforth the Goddess of Justice would be their guide in the literal sense. And more than that, the bars of Her prison had apparently been pried open wide enough to let some of Her power flow through. Power that Arnholt could channel, with a little effort. He was certain that Ushiya could learn to do the same.

Having captured Ushiya's attention (probably?), Arnholt wasted no time in ushering her to one of the private worship rooms. Preferably one with a door that they could lock behind them. Inside, he stalked around the borders of the room, eyeing the walls for any signs of hidden panels or peepholes. He had never really forgotten his initial reception in the monastery. Everyone was watching everyone, here. Always. Sometimes innocently but sometimes not. If the room seemed clear, the cultist finally swept back to the door, fixing his staff across the door frame to further obstruct anyone from entering. He stalked back to stand by Ushiya, leaning so close that they were almost nose to nose.

"Cherish Her," he said in a low growl, "So that You may hear Her voice. That's how our prayer goes. Well, I hear Her now, sister. I hear Her voice quite clearly. That book Velvel found held the key we needed. Do you understand me? Righteous is here. She is with us even as I speak."

That, or Arnholt had lost what remained of his marbles earlier this trade tide. A possibility which, he realized, might be occurring to Ushiya just now. Perhaps a demonstration, then. He dipped a hand into a pocket of his robes, producing the small, tattered prayer book that he had carried with him for most of his life. It was one of the last relics of his childhood faith in the One God. Also the last memento he had of his father and his old life in King's Court. But perhaps it was time to turn the page on the past. If not now, when?

"To think of all the years I pissed away believing in this crap," he murmured, waving the book slightly, and then dropping it to the floor (which was hopefully bare stone, given what he had in mind). "All the prayers I offered to Dominicus? Makes me sick to think of the breath I wasted on deaf ears. The priests always said he loved us. Loved us. And the worst part was... I actually believed it, when any fool can tell... the One God loves only himself!" He ground his teeth hard at that, calling on the power of Righteous (Hatred, She called it) for all he was worth as he stabbed one accusing finger at the battered Oneist book.

"Goddess of Justice," he hissed, "hear my prayer. Erase the lies of the One God in a miracle of lightning!" And Arnholt released whatever power he had managed to store, directing it as best he was able at the offending document before them.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Ushiya seemed a bit skeptical at first. It was too soon, there was no way... Was there? She followed him nonetheless, and she helped him secure the room. As he fumed, oddly nothing happened, until he focused his hatred quite enough that his pointing arm went numb and fell limp to his side. The boiling rage whirled through his mind, and his arm was suddenly erected in a straight line towards the (now glowing) object of his hatred. For several flickers, his arm stood erect, and burning, as if it were a livewire, and blue jolts sparked around his arm until at last, he felt the euphoric release as the bolt blasted toward the heavenly book. The lighting was not a terrifying plume, but it was about as thick as a candle and it was more than enough to blast the book back a few paces and spark a flame. Arnholt's ecstasy was superior to that provided by any drug, despite the fact that his focus was weaker and therefore the bolt less powerful than the last time he used it.

"Brother, you idiot! Put that out!" She whispered venomously, as smoke would clearly draw attention. While she acted furious, deep down, she was delighted. "I understand your excitement, but we can't yet be so reckless. Let's discuss this... And be patient. Her will is certainly not for her followers to be discovered and destroyed!" Ushiya quickly stamped out the burning prayer book, and wondered if Dominicus himself would notice them... She hoped for the sake of Justice, he wouldn't. Softly, she whispered.

"A Righteous Miracle indeed... This is perfect, what we have found is surely key to our victory."
Last edited by Haikan on Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

"So I tipped over a votive candle," Arnholt told Ushiya dryly. "So it landed on my beloved prayerbook." His shoulders rose and fell in a dismissive shrug. "The One God will forgive me for my clumsiness."

He would have put the little fire out, but the achadhiel beat him to it. That left little more than a whiff of smoke and a singed prayer book as evidence of his feet of daemonic magic in the One God's own halls. Arnholt figured the danger of exposure was minimal, compared to the importance of demonstrating Righteous' power, and the possibly dire consequences if he'd just let it go sparking everywhere without a target. Still, Ushiya's point was well taken. The power the Goddess of Justice had granted him gave him a feeling of invincibility... but the cultist knew very well he was far from that. The Righteous Order was as vulnerable as ever. Overconfidence was a luxury he could ill afford.

"We now have a weapon that the Oneists cannot parry," he whispered back just as softly. "But it will take time to learn how to use it to best effect. Now more than ever, we need to find a secure location to put Her shrine together. Of course we need it for the great summons to be completed. But we also need a place where we can call upon Her power at will, so that we can learn its use, in order to strike down Her enemies... when the time is right." The cultist priest reached out to grasp Ushiya by the shoulder. "We, Sister. You and I. It is the will of the Goddess that I share the entirety of Her sacred knowledge with one other. With the aid of Her holy Book and the Eye of Righteous, I am sure that you will learn to embrace the power of Justice as well."
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Very cunning... A candle has spilt indeed...

"..Now I cannot help but ask a few questions... Why has She chosen us? Are you sure that I will also be able to perform such wrathful magic?" She did not read the book, and she'd heard nothing about the double apprentice. As you are an apprentice of Righteous Herself, so must you in her image take on your own apprentice... The pendant was glowing, and the words so recently read flashed briefly in his mind, in fiery red script.

"Also brother, is electricity the only miracle you can call? Will mine be the same, supposing I learn to wield Her energy? Such things need addressed if we are to wield this weapon proficiently." She wished to learn, her heart desired the honor and wrathful power. Her eyes gleamed with malevolent joy, and a smile broke out on her lips.

"We shall not hesitate to move forward in this area, my brother."
Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

"Righteous has chosen us, sister, because we have chosen Her. We heed Her voice. We carry the spirit of Justice in our hearts. We kept Her faith alive, when others turned their backs on Her. More to the point," Arnholt went on, "someone had to be chosen. The miraculous Power of Justice is, as you said, the key to Her ultimate victory. At present, a mortal vessel is needed to make use of it." At Ushiya's second question, he flashed his easy grin. "I am certain, sister. I have every confidence in you. Have faith. This is the will of Righteous." He pulled out the chain around his neck to produce the holy talisman, allowing its daemonic light to glitter between the fingers of his cupped hands. "Surely you feel it? The Eye of the Goddess is upon you. And I think that She likes what She sees."

All true, of course, albeit phrased diplomatically to sugarcoat the unflattering truth. As far as Arnholt could tell, the main reason that Righteous had chosen him was just what he had said: there really wasn't anyone else to choose from. Arnholt was about the best hope she was going to get, and Ushiya... well. Ushiya was the best candidate for cultist priesthood that Arnholt knew. In part that was due to the leadership she had displayed in rallying a few of the surviving cultists, even picking up a new convert or two along the way. But it was also because of Aylmari. Always Aylmari. Arnholt knew for a fact that Ushiya's desire for Justice... for vengeance... was at least as strong as his own. Possibly stronger. Definitely strong enough for her to call upon the power of Righteous.

"At present," Arnholt said, "lightning is the one miracle that the Goddess has granted to me. But so far I have read only the first chapter of Her holy Book. A single chapter, Sister Ushiya, and Righteous has granted me the power to summon miraculous lightning from my fingertips. That, and the promise that the power granted me will increase with my understanding of Her holy word... and with my adherence to Her will and to the cause of Justice. In time I think She will lend me the use of other miracles, as well." Carefully, he made to hand over the Eye of Righteous and the holy Book with which he had first inadvertently summoned Righteous' Voice and Righteous' Power. "If you wish to be a vessel for Her power, sister, you'll need to know the secret lore of our Goddess. I suggest you hold the Eye and read the first chapter of Her Book. Now. Take the first step... and let us see where our study of the liturgy of the Goddess will take us."

It was, of course, entirely possible that Ushiya still held a grudge toward Arnholt due to his unwitting role in her innocent sister's capture by the Inquisition. If that was so, then her embrace of Justice... of 'Hatred,' as the Goddess unfortunately put it... might well result in Arnholt turning up mysteriously dead after being struck by lightning. Ushiya would inherit the title of priestess, the de facto leadership of the cult, and the possession of all of Righteous' holy artifacts in one fell swoop. But none of that really mattered. Only the will of Righteous mattered. If Ushiya could not only master the miracle of lightning, but also destroy him with it, than she was certainly better equipped than he to lead the Righteous Order. And if the Goddess of Justice decreed that he be sacrificed to Ushiya's vengeance, so be it. He would be content with having done his part to further her own destiny. With or without him, Righteous' work would be done. The Oneist Church would fall.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

As Arnholt spoke, Ushiya nodded. Arnholt's past follies weren't even entering her mind; all she could think now, was of the justice she may wield. She snatched the tome and the Eye and immediately turned to the first chapter. "It... it doesn't... oh!" Her eyes grew wide and she took a deep breath as the words rearranged in blazen text. She read dutifully, turned the page, and in silence, her lips moved along with the words she soaked in. Greedily, she looked ahead a little, and took a bit longer than the monk would probably have liked. After what seemed like a decently long time she shut the book and glanced at Arnholt.

"You know what this means... Your power isn't completely controlled by you... You have to watch what you Hate, brother. I mean, this is just speculation of the student... But I have reason to think..." She opened the book and held the Eye up, rereading a few of the passages.

"...I have reason to think that the object of this Hatred will be struck, if you cannot will away the contempt... Allow me to try," She was far from self consciousness at the moment, and she took her robe off. Beneath it she wasn't wearing anything more than typical female undergarments, aside from a leather garter that held a dagger to her thigh, but she didn't think Arnholt to care. She threw the robe onto the floor before her, and asked Arnholt to do the same.

"If you don't mind, I would like to try something... I know you are to be my master of this magick, but humor me... I am going to imagine that my robe is the person I hate the most... Then I will try to use that energy to shoot lightning at yours. If mine is still struck, we will know the extent of our control is limited, and that this is going to be much more difficult than typical hocus-pocus."
Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

Arnholt stood with his arms folded into his sleeves and his back to the door, keeping an ear out for anyone passing in the halls. He said nothing, allowing Ushiya a bit of privacy as she made her own communion with the Goddess and Her sacred text. Likewise, he heard her out when she offered her initial thoughts about the nature of the divine magic. It seemed reasonable to him that the miraculous power might not be entirely under the mortal user's control. After all, wasn't it Righteous' power, to begin with?
"...I have reason to think that the object of this Hatred will be struck, if you cannot will away the contempt... Allow me to try," She was far from self consciousness at the moment, and she took her robe off. Beneath it she wasn't wearing anything more than typical female undergarments, aside from a leather garter that held a dagger to her thigh, but she didn't think Arnholt to care.

Ushiya was only mostly correct about Arnholt. These days, he was a true monk at heart. But he certainly wasn't made of stone... which is what he'd have to have been to completely ignore the sight of an attractive woman stripping to her underthings in front of him. The cultist arched an eyebrow slightly, and took a flicker to look the nearly bare achadhiel woman up and down appreciatively. He couldn't deny feeling a stirring of desire. Perhaps even a twinge of regret, when he thought of how long it was since he'd last been with a woman. If things were different... well...

Well. "Mostly correct" was still mostly correct. Arnholt had chosen long ago to devote his life to Righteous and Her cause. He had sworn an oath in the monastery, and while it was the One God's name that he had spoken, his fingers had been crooked in his Goddess's sign. Justice mattered. Righteous mattered. And thoughts of the flesh swiftly fled.

Still standing fully dressed, he remarked aloud, "You may very well be correct. When I first released the Goddess's power, it struck the doorknob. But since I was focusing on the Church of the One itself... if the door hadn't been in the way, I wonder who or what I might have struck instead?" He stroked his fingers through his beard thoughtfully. "Do watch how much power you channel. A few scorch marks aren't much of anything. A robe that's been charred to cinders will be rather more difficult to explain away." As bidden, he doffed his robe, after first removing the original Book of Righteous and carefully setting it aside. Underneath, he wasn't wearing anything more than Ushiya was, but like her he stood quite unselfconscious. All business.

"There's no need for us to stand on formality," Arnholt said... somewhat ironically, given that they were both standing half-naked. "It doesn't matter who's the 'master;' only that we both master the power of Justice, to work miracles in Righteous' name. Come. Proceed."
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Ushiya's thin, hourglass figure erected into upright posture as she closed her eyes and focused. Arnholt may never have noticed before, but she was an extremely attractive woman, aside from her mean scowl which was quite unappealing to most men. She didn't care what he thought of her though, for all she wanted now was to share Her power. Her back was arched as she cupped her hands together, and her lips began to move in a chanting motion. After several burns, her eyes shot open and she thrust her arms toward Arnholt's robe. "...serve Justice!"

...And nothing happened. "Fuck." Suddenly, her face turned red and she was a bit embarrassed- an emotion that she'd never displayed before. Soon after, she even giggled and turned to Arnholt. "No worries! Her Justice will come in time! Holy Fuck I feel good!" She took two steps toward him and kissed him on the cheek. "You will teach me in time, Brother! I have to say, I can't help but no longer think you are the idiot I once saw you to be!"

Bouncy, happy, flirtatious. That was not Ushiya's behavior.

She's done it... She can wield my power, and she has no idea. The sadistic voice whispered in Arnholt's ear, amused. The room was slightly colder than it was before- not that Ushiya noticed. She was giggling and blushing. Arnholt however could notice that the ground beneath Ushiya's robe was shiny and darkened.
Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

Giddy as she was, the achadhiel might not have noticed the clinical way that Arnholt was looking at her now. It was as if the Ushiya he knew had vanished and been replaced by a stranger. Under the circumstances the peck on his cheek did nothing for him. But Righteous's words did bring a slight, wry smile to his face. No wonder she's suddenly acting like a drunk. She is drunk. Drunk on power... and doesn't know it.

"You feel good," he told her, "because you have been a vessel of Righteous agony, sister. Release the Goddess's power, and you have a moment of... euphoria." Again, he gave a slight shrug. "It's best not to get too attached to the feeling. As the Book says, no power comes in joy." Arnholt nudged her discarded robe aside with one booted toe, indicating the darkened section of floor. "More importantly, the Goddess of Justice tells me that your effort was successful. She has granted you a miracle after all."

A miracle of ice, he supposed, based on the dark and shiny patch of ground, not to mention the chill in the air. Gathering his own robe in his hands, Arnholt leaned over the darkened area to see if his first impression was correct. Whatever the case, at least one or two questions had been answered here.

"Clearly there is more than one miracle that Righteous' power can summon. And it looks like you were right, before. The object of our Hatred will be the one that is destroyed, regardless of where we attempt to aim the Goddess's miraculous power. Important to know, of course. But Righteous knows I won't have trouble hating anyone who I'd want to strike down with Her miraculous lightning."
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

As Arnholt attempted to kick over Ushiya's robe, it did not budge. It was frozen to the floor. As the fellow cultist pointed out her foolish reaction to the bliss, she felt sufficiently embarrassed, this time for an entirely different reason. Her scowl returned and she hissed. "I meant nothing of that kiss, Brother, it was the folly of a beginner- that is all." She soon realized that her almost completely naked state wasn't likely to change too soon, seeing as her robe was frozen to the floor. She didn't care, in another life she was proud of her attractive body, but today she only cared about the miracle she'd been blessed with.

"So cold is my blessing... Not too bad a contrast to your hot lightning..." She shivered as the room grew cold and she looked up at Arnholt, whose warm hand felt quite good on her freezing shoulder. Through chattering teeth she spoke. "I suppose I should call you master now, since you are to be my mentor. Well, for Her sake I will follow you, brother. After all, you and I- and everyone else in the circle, are all One under Her justice. You are me, and I am you. We will work together like a well-oiled machine, and therefore will not fail as Her last following." Her face grew... seemingly not hateful- at least not towards Arnholt. They were family now, and she had to put her aggressive and even angry feelings toward him completely behind her.

"But don't think I won't question you still, if you do something stupid."
Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

Her scowl returned and she hissed. "I meant nothing of that kiss, Brother, it was the folly of a beginner- that is all."

And who said anything about that? Arnholt definitely did not utter the thought aloud. Maybe Ushiya was protesting too much, but Righteous knew, this was an argument that he had no interest in whatsoever. And since there really wasn't any reply he could have offered that would calm the achadhiel down, he didn't say anything at all. Happily Ushiya was too practical to dwell on the subject for long.

"I suppose I should call you master now, since you are to be my mentor. Well, for Her sake I will follow you, brother. After all, you and I- and everyone else in the circle, are all One under Her justice. You are me, and I am you. We will work together like a well-oiled machine, and therefore will not fail as Her last following."

"Master?" Arnholt asked, and flashed his trademark grin. "I don't think so. Brother will suffice. As to the rest, you're quite right, sister. I couldn't have put it better myself." His grin didn't falter at her promise to question him if she thought he was doing something stupid; if anything, it only grew broader. "No doubt you will, Sister Ushiya. I'm be depending on you... and Brother Velvel... to help guide the Righteous Order."

When all was said and done, though, they were still standing in their underclothes in a now-chilly room, and had exactly one robe between them... the other robe being stuck to the floor in a manner that was guaranteed to raise many interesting questions if any of the true Oneists discovered it. Since blasting the damned thing with lightning would only make more of a mess, it seemed to Arnholt that their options here were rather limited. He could put on his own clothes and leave to go find Ushiya a spare robe. Of course that would leave Ushiya shivering and mostly naked in this cold prayer room until he returned, and even then, one of them would have to wait around until the miraculous ice melted, to keep the door locked and make sure no one stumbled upon the suspicious scene. Or...

Since leaving King's Court, Arnholt had become quite the bullshitter. He usually knew pretty well when he was bullshitting himself. In this case, there was little doubt in the cultist's mind that if he'd been in here with Velvel, he would damn have well left the man to freeze his ass off while Arnholt went looking for a change of clothes. And Ushiya was a tough cultist woman. She could take the cold. But seeing her standing there, shivering in the cold... and with her very attractive curves on nearly full display... by Righteous! Only a yahren ago he would have killed to be in this very situation. It had all the makings of the sort of brag you told in bars forever, even though no one would ever believe you. And, Priest of the Goddess of Justice or not, Arnholt melted. Just a little.

"We can't leave that ice for the Oneists to find," he said. "One of us will have to stay here until it melts. And since we have only one robe between us, until your robe unfreezes..." Arnholt stepped close again, putting one arm around Ushiya (if she would let him) and draping his own robe around them both. As a blanket it wasn't much, but combined with their shared body heat it ought to keep them at least somewhat warm. "Come, sister. Sit with me away from the ice. Since we seem to be stuck here, for now, we may as well make the best of it."

And Arnholt held up the Book and the Eye of Righteous. "So let's go on and read the next chapter." He was not kidding about that at all.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"I hate to admit it, but you're right." She welcomed his arm, for she was cold, and he was glowing with warmth. As they sat down, she pulled his arm over her even more, so her neck and right arm were shielded from the cold by his draping limb. "Indeed, let's read on."

Dishes that are best served cold!

Woe to those who oppose themselves to Ye, who are One with Her!

Thy Righteous might, shall overwhelm any who are against ye!

Fornicating pigs, are those that worship the fat fool, Dominicus!

Pigs, that eat their own feces, and bow to a childish and immoral god!

The best dish, is cold, discrete, death!

Any Dominican, or any man or woman in a conflicting faith to Righteousness should thank ye for ending them! Meaningless and empty is their existence. Darkness rules the world, but all darkness will scatter when She returns! Until then, you are Her symbol of might, and the power that will serve Her wrathful cuisine. Silence and discretion are thine weapons, teamed up with whatever of the blessings She may give you!

Her favorite toppings on Her prey are Thunder and Fire! Do not forget though, that Cold is the key to executing Her death warrants discretely and without flare or discovery. Only a woman who hates as She does can understand her Coldness, and yet only a man who shares Her ambition can crack Her Thunder. Her Fire can only occur when these two disciples understand each other, and Her, as themselves. When that happens, the buffet of eternal enemies is forever thine for the reaping!

Righteous' appetite grows! Her need for Justice is insatiable. Go! Serve Her plate, and she will bless you even more than She has! The ancient following hath foretold: Nobody outside Her will is thine friend. A Dominican man who walks hand in hand with the governing bodies, will betray you! Before this can happen you must betray him first, crack open his ribs with thine Bolt and serve his spirit of defeat to Righteous! The will of Righteous be blessed forever and ever!
Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

As for Arnholt, he couldn't help but think that Ushiya felt mighty nice, huddled up against his side like that. Except that the woman was as cold as a fucking icicle. In any case, the holy word of Righteous was soon absorbing the majority of his attention, their unusual circumstances notwithstanding.

The Book of Righteous was enlightening as always. As before, the cultist was left thinking that the Goddess's holy Books always left Her sounding borderline crazy. Not to mention practically foaming at the mouth for the blood of the One God's followers. But, as before, Arnholt also thought that those things were understandable, giving that Righteous had been trapped in the Nether for a thousand yahren and Her followers all murdered by the Oneist hosts. Was it any wonder She sounded pissed off all the time? The important thing was, She seemed to have it under control.

The talk of a man and a woman wielding Thunder and Cold in the Goddess's service brought another faint smile to Arnholt's face. It seemed to fit him and Ushiya very neatly. As if their coming was the result of Righteous' divine prophecy. But was this really what Righteous's holy text had always said? He honestly wasn't sure. The Goddess clearly had the power to alter the appearance of Her holy Book. It wasn't hard to suppose that She could make it say whatever damn thing She wanted it to say at any given moment, changing the words according to Her own divine whim. In this case Righteous might just be telling them what She thought they wanted to hear. Not for the first time, Arnholt realized that was serving a Goddess that he respected and admired... even loved... but also one that he didn't entirely trust. While he didn't hold Righteous' daemonic side against Her, it did tend to add a note of skepticism to his faith.

Well, it hardly mattered. The Word of Righteous was the Word of Righteous, whether it had been inscribed by Her mortal priests over a thousand yahren ago or she'd just thought it up right now. What did matter was that Righteous apparently liked the idea of both a male priest and a female priestess calling upon different aspects of Her power. Besides which, Her vague remarks about Fire seemed to indicate a way forward with their exploration of the power their Goddess lent them.

"So," Arnholt said at last. "It seems this was meant to be. You and I, serving as the mortal vessels for Her power... exactly as the Goddess intended. I'm not entirely sure what this part means..." With his free hands, he pointed out the lines concerning Righteous' Fire, and the need for them to understand one another and the Goddess in order to summon it. "But it seems we are on the right track, and I am sure we will find the answer in time. There is, however, another thing we needed to speak of. The Goddess's thoughts on the Oneists reminded me."

It would be hard to imagine a more compromising position they might be discovered in: huddled together in their underwear, not far from a patch of unnatural ice which they had summoned through prayer to their daemon-Goddess, whose holy Book they happened to be reading. Nonetheless, Arnholt leaned even closer to Ushiya as he continued, whispering with his lips quite close to her ear.

"The first Book of Righteous... the one that Carminello had. I've told you before that it describes rituals for summoning daemons. That it's the key to summoning the Righteous Herself. Well... recently, I finished decoding the last part of the summoning ritual. As I thought, we have most of the necessary items already. We still need a place to build Her shrine, of course. That, and one thing more: A sacrifice. Righteous needs the blood of the Unjust, sister, in order for the summoning to proceed. She needs the life of an accursed enemy. Completing the shrine must therefore be out first priority. After that... I think it will finally be time to eliminate dear Brother Gentus."
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"We have to... Understand each other and Righteous as ourselves... Then we can use Her fire... I don't know what that means either. But either way, I suppose we should get to know one another better, brother. If I were to die, you should know what I would do tomorrow. Perhaps then we can wield Her fire." Always insightful, Ushiya had completely forgotten the coldness as they discussed their religious affairs. There were footsteps outside, but only in passing and despite Ushiya's jumpy reactions to the footshadows outside the door, nobody entered.

"Brother Gentus is a tool, through and through. I look forward to his removal as much as you, but perhaps he can be very useful to us. I think he'd even be willing to help us, if he wasn't a hundred percent aware of the details." With a sadistic wink, she licked her lips, beginning to feel the hunger for Justice that Righteous preached. She hated the patience they had to show, but she had a strong will, and she could easily overcome her anxiousness.

A cool trickle of water made its way to Arnholt's feet and towards the two of them as they sat there.
Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

"There is certainly a great deal we have yet to learn about each other," Arnholt agreed. "And Her. We will need to meet regularly to practice drawing on the Goddess's power, and to study Her Book in order to learn Her own heart better. We can certainly use that time to get to know one another better as well."

In any case Ushiya was quite correct. The major point in having a Circle of three leading the Righteous Order was that it made any one of them redundant. If one fell, two would rise to take his place. If two were caught up in their enemies' snare there would still be one left to fall back, regroup, and rally the surviving cultists. There need be no secrets among the First Circle.
"Brother Gentus is a tool, through and through. I look forward to his removal as much as you, but perhaps he can be very useful to us. I think he'd even be willing to help us, if he wasn't a hundred percent aware of the details."

Arnholt regarded her somewhat curiously at that comment. "We need the life and the blood of one of our enemies in order to summon the Goddess from the Nether. A monk of the false god must die, sister, and I see no better candidate than Gentus. But if you can think of some other use for the man in the interim, I'd like to hear of it."

At present Arnholt really couldn't think of anything that Gentus was good for, aside from being gutted like a pig in the cultists' circle of summoning. The needs of the Righteous Order were fairly straightforward at present. They needed a place to build the Goddess's shrine. They needed a great many new cultist acolytes. And they needed a particularly obnoxious Oneist to die in order for Righteous to walk the Tether again. Arnholt didn't see any way that Gentus could contribute to either of their first two major goals, but it was entirely possible that Ushiya had seen some other opportunity that he hadn't really thought of yet.

The cultist priest gave a grunt at cold water started to puddle up around his feet. "The Goddess's miraculous Ice seems to be melting, sister. Which means we had better see if your robe will unstick. Righteous knows, the faster we get dressed and get out of here the fewer people will start wondering where the fuck we are."
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Hold on Brother, I'm not done yet. Hang my robe on the doorknob to dry, a sopping wet robe may not be too difficult to explain, but it will add to a pile of suspicions that we can't afford to start building now." She rose to her feet and stood perfectly erect with clenched fists, and her eyes locked with Arnholts.

"Brother Gentus may be a prime tool for Her resurrection, but not in the way you may think. Brother, he is charismatic and he knows people in high places. The nobles take a shining to him and Rohan, so who better to help us funding a 'new place of worship'?" Her fingers were crooked in the symbol of Righteous.

"Once we've used him to our advantage, the summoning rites will be our next bridge to cross, and believe me, I would love to see him as a feast for Her. Still, let us worry about the first steps before the last."
Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

"So you're suggesting we build the Goddess's shrine right out in the open," Arnholt mused. "Taking refuge in audacity, one more time."

Per Ushiya's request, he'd tossed her soggy robe over the doorknob. After that the cultist had remained on his feet, mostly because Ushiya had risen too, and all thoughts of equality in the First Circle aside he wasn't going to sit there and have her look down on him. He put his own robe back on as he contemplated the achadhiel's suggestion: now that the room wasn't so cold, there was no more need to huddle together for warmth. Nor was there any more need to stand around in his underoos just because Ushiya was; far as he knew, the adhiel didn't share such quaint notions of chivalry anyway.

His own plans for Righteous' shrine had called for finding some hidden place in or near the monastery itself. Sure, it had been a long time looking for a suitable spot, but their discovery that the pagans had managed to build a whole fucking temple to their Earth Mother practically underfoot had breathed new life into his efforts. Of course Ushiya's idea was not without merit.

"I would be safer having Her shrine completely separate from the monastery," he said pensively, straightening his own robes around himself. "And the new push I'm proposing to normalize relations with the pagans would give us some more cover. Not a new church necessarily but... a mission, perhaps. Located deep in adhiel territory in the city, and supposed to help cope with refugees coming in from T'aquar and like that. While presenting a friendly face to the Church, of course, and giving the pagans a chance to convert to the One God." By now Arnholt was thinking aloud, even as he tucked Righteous' holy relics away into their hiding places in his robes. "In light of the sensitivity of the mission's location, it will naturally be staffed primarily by our adhiel and achadhiel brothers and sisters. But there are only nine of us. We'll need to take on volunteers from outside our ranks... from the adhiel community, and the monastery itself. We'd need to build the Third Circle."

It could work. In fact, it fit in nicely with Arnholt's overall plan. A charitable mission would make a fairly good staging ground for rallying his proposed "Third Circle" of dupes and potential cult converts to their cause. It was hardly perfect, but then, they were hardly living in a perfect world, either. And as Ushiya said, they had to take things one step at a time.

"I think, sister, that you are probably right." Folding his arms into his voluminous sleeves, Arnholt gave her a bow that was only slightly ironic. "In any case, Father Rohan has made it clear this morning that he would like Gentus and I to become... good friends and work together." Even now Arnholt had to fight back a sneer at the thought of that. He really did have the most visceral dislike of Gentus. "In truth, I thought myself that cozying up to Gentus would help avert suspicion should he meet with an accident later. And we did agree that he owes me a favor..." The cultist bent his head slightly, his hood falling over his face as he ran his fingers through his beard. "...But such a large favor. And to gloss over the differences between us will take time. Not to mention that I fucking hate the motherfucker," he muttered. "I'll be needing you and Velvel, sister, to help win him over."

Velvel was, after all, a better actor than Arnholt was. And Ushiya seemed to have thought this through already. "Perhaps you had a plan for that, as well?"
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"He would happily assist us in building a haven in the name of Dominicus. Once he and Rohan have used their pull to build our shrine, we turn on the fucks and feed them to Her." It was Ushiya's sadistic hatred of Gentus matching with Arnholt's that brought a smile to her lips. It seems we know each other pretty well in at least one aspect. We're learning to hate in the same ways... Maybe that's the secret to the magic.

"We will make Her proud, I am certain of it, Brother." Ushiya's eyes were growing quite heinous, for the magick she'd used was taking a toll on her state of mind. She liked the power. A lot. And, she was enjoying Righteous' favor. She would be honored to think and act just as Righteous would at this point. Ushiya was an ever changing person in this cult, but her keen intellect was just the same as always.

"Any objections, Brother?"
Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

"We will make Her proud, I am certain of it, Brother."

"Of course we will, Sister." Arnholt's lips bent again in a faint smile of his own. "One day Her voice will be heard across nations, and She will rise again."

All the same, he was looking at Ushiya a bit oddly. Seeing her in a whole new light... again. While the achadhiel was thinking of how similar they were in their hatred, Arnholt was thinking how different. That difference being mostly with regards to Rohan. The cultist priest recognized Father Rohan as an enemy, of course, but he harbored no personal hatred or even dislike toward the man. It was a little surprising to find that Ushiya did. Hating the Oneists as Righteous bids us. Hating as the Goddess Herself would. It seemed that the cultist priestess was a little farther along than Arnholt himself was in that regard.

Interesting. Perhaps it was simply that Ushiya's grudge was greater than Arnholt's was. After all, it had been Ushiya's sister who had been captured; Ushiya's close friends who had been murdered by the Inquisition. Arnholt's anger at the Church, while strong and lasting, might simply not be able to stack up. Whatever the case, Ushiya was certainly closer to the Goddess... no. She was certainly closer to that aspect of the Goddess of Justice than Arnholt himself was. And why not? After all, "Only a woman who hates as She does can understand Her Coldness."

For Arnholt it was a little different. His hatred, his desire for vengeance, was quite strong, of course. It was strong enough for him to devote his life to the cause of Justice. Strong enough, even, for him to summon Righteous' miraculous Thunder when he needed it. But that wasn't the only motivation, or even the first motivation that drove him. Even before learning of Aylmari's capture, he had been prepared to take up Righteous' banner... because, as the Goddess put it, he shared Her ambition. Righteous wanted to be worshipped as the Goddess of Justice, and Arnholt wanted that for Her, too. Legions of followers. Temples to the Goddess in every city. Her name on thousands upon thousands of lips, and Her voice heard across the world. And... Arnholt could admit it, to himself... he wanted his own name inscribed in a place of honor on the Goddess's banners, listed high among the "chefs who have come before." Like Righteous, he wanted to change the world. And, also like Her, he wanted his share of the credit afterwards.

So then. He shared the Goddess's ambition, while Ushiya hated as strongly as Righteous did. But for the power of the Goddess's divine Fire to be summoned, they would need to understand one another... and Her. Is that it, then? Ushiya to look forward to Righteous' future glory as strongly as I do... and I to hate our enemies as thoroughly as she? If nothing else, it was a theory he would have to suggest to Ushiya, next time they met. For now he thought they had spent quite long enough time together, lurking around out of sight.

"Any objections, Brother?"

"None."

While he didn't hate Rohan the way he did Gentus, Arnholt was a practical man. And the Goddess's instructions were what they were. One way or another, both men would have to go, in order for Righteous to hold sway.

"There is one thing more, sister," he said in closing. "The chapters we read... all this talk of hatred. We have to understand it in its proper context. Righteous is the Goddess of Justice. If She says that we are to hate our enemies, no doubt that is because our hatred is what they deserve." Arnholt folded his hands piously. "Of course, hatred is but one weapon in Her arsenal; it's part of Her nature, but certainly not the totality. We worship Justice... not Hate. So I'm sure you will understand," he went on, his voice hardening slightly, "how important it is that we do not confuse Her followers as to the Goddess's true intentions. If the Second Circle knew what powered Her divine miracles, they might... find it disturbing. Or worse, they might be encouraged to hate outsiders indiscriminately, misunderstanding the true nature of the Goddess we serve. We cannot allow our purity... our focus... to be compromised. Therefore, only the First Circle need know of Her holy word as it is written here." He tapped at the Book of Righteous in its hiding place under his robes. "And I will continue to spread Her message to the faithful in a manner less subject to misinterpretation. Don't you agree?"
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Ushiya stopped, and her hand clenched. She had become so swept in the hatred that she had in her heart, that she'd almost forgotten that Righteous was a goddess of Justice, not hatred. "You... Are right, Brother. I have gotten carried away. I will make sure that my hatred is my own, and that I do not infect the second circle with the malevolence that I only possess because it was dealt unto me so thickly. That is my burden. I suppose that's why I need you... You will keep me from getting carried away and fucking up Her will." She bowed her head slightly.

"Until I can get a grip, I'll continue to leave the message spreading to you. The time for the children is obviously not yet, and I'm not inhuman. I can still feel compassion for those who are deserving, and adoration for the young children." She punched her fist into her palm. "..But I know which emotions are expendable in crunch time. Righteous' agenda comes before my own, and I will continue to do as I should." She crooked her fingers and her lips formed a smile.

"If I am boring you with my monologue, deal with it. Righteous Herself said we have to get to know each-other, right? So from now on, you're getting 100% of me when we meet, and I expect the same from you. Soon enough, if I were to die, you'd know enough of me to carry on my nature and my dreams in my absence, and vice versa!" She cackled, coldly but almost cutely. Her strange behavior could probably be tallied under the overwhelming information she'd just recieved, but nonetheless she diligently donned her robe- which was only a bit damp at this point - and turned to go.

"Until the next ingredients are ready, try not to use the kitchen too much, Brother."
Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

She punched her fist into her palm. "..But I know which emotions are expendable in crunch time. Righteous' agenda comes before my own, and I will continue to do as I should."

"I'm sure you will, Sister," was Arnholt's reply. "And have no fear. Your anger will help keep our Order strong. How could hating the Oneists and their false god be wrong?" He gave another faint shrug. "It cannot be. Especially since the Goddess wills it. If Righteous councils us to hate, sister, embrace hatred we will... including the Second Circle, in time. But I'm glad you agree that we must not allow ourselves to be ruled by hatred. Only by Her." He smiled thinly. "After all... even these miracles of Thunder and Ice... impressive though they are... are merely a fraction of Righteous' true power. And you and I could blast and freeze Oneists to death every day for a hundred yahren, and still never put a dent in their numbers. Hatred will make us strong, yes. But only our Goddess will bring us victory."

"If I am boring you with my monologue, deal with it. Righteous Herself said we have to get to know each-other, right? So from now on, you're getting 100% of me when we meet, and I expect the same from you. Soon enough, if I were to die, you'd know enough of me to carry on my nature and my dreams in my absence, and vice versa!"

"You are never boring, Sister Ushiya." Which was all that Arnholt had to say on that subject. At the achadhiel's parting remark, he grinned faintly. "I don't imagine I will. There's too big a risk of being burned. Tonight, though, we'll cook at least a small meal for our friends, to encourage them in their efforts... and whet their appetites for the great feast to come." While they probably weren't ready for the Goddess's brutally honest explanation of how Her magic operated, a show of miraculous power would certainly do wonders for the junior cultists' morale.

For now, however, Arnholt had his real monkish duties to perform. First among those being the first meeting with the pagan priests living under the monastery. It might have been the continued glow of the Goddess's power making him optimistic, but somehow he had a feeling that that, too, would turn out pretty well.

Yanking his staff free from the door frame, Arnholt set off, a whistle already on his lips. It was probably time to collect Velvel and Shiera, anyway.

Fin.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Locked for Skilling.

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt”