[Sierra] Of Maps and Advice (Explorers Guild) - Jyg 30th MT

Dort, Aveas and Sierra form the most important triangle of the Seven Isles. Magick and trade are their core business.

Moderators: Adanedhel, Brytan, Mods

Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

Scarlet would have smiled, she would have hugged her newly warped sister, she would have laughed, danced and celebrated her coming of age - but this was not the valley village.

"Do we take them with us, leave them here, or silence them?" She voiced, wrapping a clean linen strip over the shallow cut to her palm. "The way I see it we'd move faster without captives, but then again this is the only port on the isle so we can't leave a trail of bodies..." She glanced from Xen to Muraco, curious to the other's thoughts.

She sidled over to Kytani and gently let her hand rest upon her dark and glossy haunches. She grinned as she felt the heat and the power beneath the skin, she smiled, it had been a long time coming.

"Though I hate to cut this experience short for you Kytani...
Do you want to change into something less eye-catching?"

Her eyes drifting meaningfully towards the pelts that bedecked the room. In truth she wanted to warp herself and run free through the jungle with Kytani, moving swiftly over vale and track with that easy loping power of the predator. Yet, Kytani was going to have to warp back before they could leave this building, unless she wanted to be trussed up or caged.
Now there was only the pup left.
[url=http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Isle_Cat]Isle Cat[/url][size=75][color=darkred]

I'm not here to play who's the better killer.

[i]But it [b]is[/b] my favourite game...[/i][/color][/size]
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia's keen eyes watched Kytani as she moved. She noted the quiet way in which she thanked Scarlet; the gentle nod to Muraco. There didn't seem to be any aggression in those feline muscles, but perhaps Kytani was as good at seeming calm as Xenovia was. She hoped not.

As Kytani approached her, Xenovia moved out from behind Jamail, so that there was open space between them. Her Inner Animal fluttered quietly -- what bird wouldn't panic in the face of such a big cat? -- but Xenovia stood calm and resolute. The bird warper had no idea what to expect. Would Kytani kill her? Perhaps wound her? Show Xenovia that she needed to watch her back now?

Or perhaps just threaten me, Xenovia thought as she stared down at Kytani's newly unsheathed claws for the first time. Yet as they came down to the floor, followed by Kytani's nose, Xenovia almost fell over.

She's yielding, the bird realized.

For a few brief flickers Xenovia stood in stunned silence, unable to believe it, sure that at any moment Kytani would strike at her. Then, slowly, Xenovia lowered herself to the floorboards and placed the blades at her sides, bowing her head low in a display of equality. It was true that Xenovia was the leader, but she didn't think of herself as any better than the rest of her kin. She wanted Kytani to understand this.

"Thank you," she murmured softly. Some of the rarest words to ever leave her lips.

After a couple flickers of silence, Xenovia's hands took the hilts of the blades again (were they hers now?) and she stood, her gaze passing over their captives.

"They have seen nothing of any real consequence, but we can't leave them here. So I suppose it is their choice."

Her voice broadened, and Jamail and Baylan could tell she was addressing them. "We didn't want this to happen, but you were unfortunate enough to nearly witness something your eyes should never see. Now that we have had to bind you, we can't have you telling others who might hinder our progress. Will you come with us into the jungle? If you refuse, we will have to kill you."

There was no malice or anger in her voice now, despite her rough treatment of Jamail. She didn't want to kill them, she would simply have to. It was regrettable that they'd had this setback. Hopefully Kytani has the strength to warp back. Well, if Scarlet had managed after the ordeal she endured, Kytani would likely be fine.
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][i]"When the sun is gone I see you:
beautiful and haunting, but cold;
like the blade of a knife so sharp, so sweet --
nobody knows your heart." - Princess Mononoke[/i][/size]
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

Jamail heard Xenovia perfectly well. He had no idea what had happened, other than the fact that all the ruckus had stopped but a few burns earlier. His eyes were covered still and even though he was no longer in the direct presence of Xenovia, he still was quite certain he had no chance to get out of here with the big guy at the door outside and these people crawling around inside.

He also got the distinct feeling there was something else in the room. His vision switched to the Aether, he sought a connection with the world outside the Tether, and the first thing that jumped out at him were the aura's of these people. The dwarf was quite normal, a mundane aura. But the others were quite something else. Especially the one whom he had seen be covered by the blanket earlier. She appeared to have...transformed...

"No way! I never thought I'd see the day..."

His attention was drawn back when Xenovia finished her threat. He wasn't about to let himself be killed, and he held these people quite capable of doing just that, especially if his hunch was correct. Not that he would share it just now ofcourse...

"I'll come. What choice do I have?"
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Kytani Hajgomb
Civus

Post by Kytani Hajgomb »

Kytani gave her best attempt at a smile as she nodded her head once toward Xenovia and retracted her claws, keeping her throat stilled at the thought of making an already bad situation even worse by alerting the captives to a truly animal presence. It was time, she decided as she rose once more and padded on past Xenovia after her fellow Kanthrop had risen and begun to speak to the others, to follow Scarlet’s advice and warp back even though every flicker in her panther form made her long to stay that way. To lie in a warm sunbeam and experience the world in this new way, to perhaps take down a gazelle – or whatever prey the island had to offer – and bask in her feline nature for a bit.

No…it was time to put away her new ‘toy’ for now, and the former kit knew this as she continued to move toward the back room, sniffing at the pelts as she walked and clutching one within her teeth after a last-flicker thought of how they had reacted when she had partially disrobed before.

Granted, ‘human’ skin, no matter how young , silky, and invitingly nude it was could hardly veil the fresh memories of how remarkably non-human it was, even if Kytani had even the slightest shred of narcissism to think that it would. No, it was best to wrap in furs once the warp was completed, retrieve her bag, and then change once more into a fresh, unshredded, kanthar rather than sashay out in the buff as she would have had she warped on Ursa instead.

Once alone in the back room (allowing for Scarlet or whomever to join her if they wished), Kytani lay down upon the floor and focused her eyes on her forepaws even though her effort was focused upon her body as a whole.

Time for change…

As she was still new to the process, Kytani found the change back to be just as difficult and long as the initial warp, but ten to fifteen burns of effort soon found her rising back up onto human legs which seemed, due to effort and exertion, to be as frail and gangly as those of a newborn fawn’s, the only ‘fur’ left on her body, upon inspection, being the light triangle at the uppermost meeting point of those shaky legs which had pre-dated the warp by a few yahren.

Soon, even this ‘fur’ was gone – not warped away, but rather covered by the fur of some sort of predator – her panther’s pride had not allowed her to choose the pelt of a creature of prey even though the fact that the pelt was not still in use by the animal who had grown it hinted at the fact that even predators can be prey at times.* Once sufficiently clothed to avoid the outsider’s stares, Kytani made her way back out toward the others.

* Unless, of course, someone brings her bag to her, in which case, she would put on clothing and not use the fur.
"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior." - [b]Hippolyte Taine[/b]

Totally [i]EPIC[/i] avatar by Funky!!!
Muraco
Civus

Post by Muraco »

It was not long, but by the Nether it sounded painful. To Kytani, the fifteen or so burns it took for her bones to acquire their new shape and the panther within to fully supplant her human form must have seemed as yahren. It sounded painful, it sounded violent, yet he could not take his eyes off of her. Baylan was motionless and completely cooperative, which was immediately preferable to the myriad of alternatives. When all was said, done, and decided he watched as Kytani opened her eyes. Inwardly he rejoiced her progress and in an awed silence he watched as she approached Xenovia. The air was charged, not with aggression or violent intent but a sort of crouching anticipation.

Muraco’s wolfish eyes went from Xenovia to Kytani and back again a handful of times. This was momentous, perhaps even monumental. World shaking? Maybe. Completely unexpected? Definitely. The panther’s gesture spoke volumes. It meant much and the ivory maned kanthrop was glad to see Xen accept her gesture. If his ears weren’t deceiving him, and they rarely did, she even said thank you to Kytani. It was a leap in the right direction and one that was overdue. Muraco smiled for Kytani, because despite his want, his need to attain his first warp the tall kanthrop was quite happy for her. As his newly warped companion retreated to the back room, Muraco turned to Baylan and to hear his answer to Xen’s ultimatum. It seemed a simple choice, live or die. Things couldn’t get much more complicated than two sleepers being dragged along through the jungle with them.

"Can we trust them not to bolt or shout out when we depart? What if they decide to simply tell us what we want to hear? The last thing we need is to rouse any more suspicion, least of all that old man," stated Muraco. Xenovia would know of whom he spoke, the old hunter from the reeking building. Looking skeptically from Baylan to Jamail, he wondered if they would ultimately cause trouble to their cause.
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

They needed to leave, and soon. While she was glad that Kytani had achieved her first warp, Xenovia had not forgotten Calraen's words. Vanquisher has already been taken. We are burning daylight.

Muraco's words seemed barely to phase her, and the shrug that rolled off her shoulders showed a lack of concern. Her tone was flat and merciless. "If they cause us trouble, we will kill them. Then, we will kill the people of this town one by one, until everyone is dead or we die ourselves. They may not worry about their own hides, but perhaps they'll think twice about endangering others."

She then turned back to Jamail, removing his makeshift blindfold now that Kytani was hidden, and freeing him from the prison she had made for him. "I am trusting you, now." Her gaze lifted to the others in the room, though she spoke loud enough for Kytani to hear as well.

"We don't have time to waste. We leave in half a mark. Be ready."

With that, she began to gather her things, wondering idly if Calraen had sheaths for the blades he had given her, or if she was expected to carry them bare. Things were quiet outside, so she assumed the watch was going well. But had someone heard the racket? How much longer did they have? It seemed like many things were going wrong; what was next?

Tension rippled through her muscles. We're not even in the jungle yet.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

OOC: Taking OOC control of Baylan only as long as need be.

Baylan had sat through the ordeal stoically. A huff left his mouth as he was poised with the question. A choice between death and captivity. be he a true dwarf or a mouse? Whatever the case may be, there were strange things going on with these women and their hapless gentleman companions. And on top of all that, there was treasure at the end of the rainbow. After all, he had come here to find treasure, and it sounded like these characters were looking for something.

"I'll come. I'm not going to risk death by your hands lass."

Calraen had not returned inside. One could only assume he was outside guarding the door.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

Half a mark? I'd be gone now.

Scarlet's eyes flickered from the dwarf to the scholar they had... aquired. Her brow furoughed. On one hand she was happy Jamail would now be accompanying them; his local knowledge would be invaluable, however she did not trust him to act faithfully under threat. He would have to be watched. She took a few moments to help Kytani gather her things together, offering a few words of congratulations as well as a heart-felt smile as she did so. It felt right that her big sister had finally warped, now at last, Scarlet felt some of the burden of responsibility shift. Muraco was the only kit left, but for some reason it seemed Xen was the one that needed most of Scarlet's attention. At least with Kytani come of age she felt she could perhaps share that burden, the quest not withstanding.

"Whilst I commend your enthusiasm Xenovia - I doubt wholescale massacre will be neccessary. I'd suggest we just hide out in the jungle and then return in the night to murder the kith and kin of any soul that lets slip a single word."

There was no threat or venom to her voice, it was an honest suggestion. She tugged at the cloth strip that bandaged her hand and pulled it tight with her teeth before cleaning the dagger and easing it back into its sheath. Obsidian would not rust like metals would, but it was important for a hunter to take care of their gear or it might easily fail to take care of them. Scarlet grinned to her kin and collapsed by her pack, folding her legs beneath her in a fluid motion. Given a longer respite she would probably have curled up and gone to sleep but there was little point in napping.

"Anyone going to fetch chuckles from outside? Figure he'll have something to say." She began idly checking the fletchings on her arrows, she had the thirst for meat.[/i]
[url=http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Isle_Cat]Isle Cat[/url][size=75][color=darkred]

Muraco
Civus

Post by Muraco »

So engrossed was Muraco in his thoughts of cowardice spurned treachery from Baylan or Jamail that he neglected removing the dwarfs blindfold immediately. As the small man spoke, the kanthrop looked at him absently for a flicker before he was pushed to set the man free. A deft slice of the bonds on his hands and he allowed the dwarf to remove the cloth about his eyes. Xenovia did have a point, they would have no choice should either of them raise a cry. With a village full of humans they could fall against their numbers but there would be comfort in the fact that the two traitors would die within flickers of crying out. What made Muraco grin was the evidence of the bond forging in their rag tag group. They would perhaps never be like litter mates or lifelong friends but through this adversity they would come together. Muraco felt that a broader spectrum of inner animals could not be more represented unless Jolace had come along with them. The tall kanthrop was a gentle soul yet Muraco could easily admit that he would not have minded the company of the Orca warper.

When Scarlet spoke of retrieving Calraen, or chuckles as she had so dubbed him, Muraco felt the need to get a breath of air so he rose immediately. The dreamweaver would not enter the building, of that much the wolf kanthrop felt certain. If Xenovia and he could barely stand them, one could only imagine how a being as aged as Calraen would feel. Suffering the stifling, closed in, rank...Muraco almost made himself dry heave with the thought of it all. The white haired kanthrop opened the door and took a lungful of air and sighed heavily. Looking to his left and right he looked for tall figure of the dreamweaver.

"You have the right idea, their smell is everywhere in there," said Muraco, looking out toward the jungle with a wrinkled nose, "the human and the small one have agreed to come with us. Then again, their options were limited."

It was his first time speaking with Calraen directly. It surprised him to realize this but he did not think to dwell on it. There was too much else to occupy ones thoughts.
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia hardly acknowledged Baylan's assent. Naturally he had agreed to come. That tiny little man stood no chance against the pack of Kanthrops, as far as she was concerned. Scarlet's words were met with a small shrug. The intent was to frighten, she was making no real plans. Either way, a lot of blood would be shed, and plans for such things were not necessary at the moment. No, her focus was on Kytani. Xenovia was a caged bird, trapped in this human box until the feline warper was ready to depart. All she could focus on was their departure.

Finding herself a window to stare resolutely out of, Xenovia waited impatiently for the group to ready itself to leave. If it took less than half a mark, so be it. She had simply wanted to give Kytani enough time to collect herself after the ordeal of her first warp. Xenovia wanted nothing more than to warp into her osprey form and soar into the skies until this consuming claustrophobia left her trembling muscles.

No one ever said this would be easy, but I didn't think it would be this hard either.

As always, Xenovia mulled alone. Perhaps the pack was knit more tightly now, but she did not intend to pour her heart out to any of her kin regardless of what happened.

So much fucking waiting!!!
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Are any of you waiting on me in this thread? Jamail and Baylan will remain obedient and fleeing into the jungle will happen without incident. We can jump forward in time a bit if it would help jumpstart things.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

ooc: was waitin on kytani :p

Kytani Hajgomb
Civus

Post by Kytani Hajgomb »

Kytani was a little numb to the world as she emerged from the back room, re-clothed but shivering from both exertion and delight. She looked about and saw that all were waiting on her, a soft flush hitting her cheeks as she realized the metaphorical toe-tapping which was - among other things - her doing.

"Apologies, kin..." she muttered with a small, informal bow.

Her apologies were meant for more than just holding up their departure, but those were best explained when non-Kanthrop ears were more distant.

OOC: Sorry for my tardiness in here as well. Thought we were fading to black or something.
"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior." - [b]Hippolyte Taine[/b]

Totally [i]EPIC[/i] avatar by Funky!!!
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Calraen stood outside and nodded at Muraco's comment. He felt no need to reply directly, but he felt the intention of the pup was genuine, even if it was somewhat misplaced.

Jamail and Balan grumbled at the notion of being prisoner to these strange people. Balan was already pondering his options, but the call of finding potential treasure was greater than that of the call for freedom. Jamail resigned in his fate, or so it seemed at least as the little group left the Guild and made for the vast expanse of jungle that lay before them.

OOC: Locking the thread for skilling.

Return to “Triangle Islands”