Hey its good to be back home again - Jy 31st - ET

The glorious Summer City upon the white cliffs of the magical Mer de la Luna in the Western Kingdom that harbours many nobles. Home to the Summer Palace of the former King as well as vineyards that produce the city's famous wines. Anything is possible here, if you are willing to bring the right sacrifices.

Moderators: Ashari, Haikan

Motley
Fool

Hey its good to be back home again - Jy 31st - ET

Post by Motley »

The Summer Palace was a much smaller affair than the Royal Palace in Kings Court and did not resemble it in the least. Instead of a fortress it was a building full with glass and light, with big terrace doors opening to the wonderful palace gardens that ended in the d'Avennes at the back, and a nice wide veranda on the front, overlooking the white cliffs that Roque d'Ancourt was so famous for. The building was created out of sandstone, and it had coloured darker at the edges and into the curves, some of the sculptures getting a sinister effect in the dark.

It was a tad larger than a manor house, with two large wings on either side, and yet it could almost pass as the house of a minor noble if it were not for the details on the sculptures, the excessive glass work and the very, very nice location which in itself must be very expensive. There was a large iron gate on a path of gravel that took the travelers up and past the cliffs before approaching the house.

Outside the right wing of the palace stood the Portal. The portal itself is a marvel of engineering, and is one the largest of its kind ever produced by the Nashorn Institute. It is almost broad enough in diameter for a full carriage to pass through. A ramp with a shallow gradient leads up to its rippling surface, and at the top of the ramp stand two guards in their rust colored uniforms. At the bottom, a gaggle of lazy guards and functionaries wait to take the details and the coin of those who come and go, stifling yawns and bored expressions as they wait.

Through this portal came the hideous little man known as Motley. The ugly bard had called Roque d'Ancourt his home for nearly all the yahren of his life, and now he was returning to it once again from far away lands, and once again it was under less than ideal circumstances. The vision he had while on the island of Sierra had frightened and disturbed him, and he was now hurrying home to be certain that everything and everyone was well. He felt guilty and ashamed at leaving Morgan, Becca and the expedition behind, and he swore to himself that once matters were settled, he would write them a long letter of explanation. Right now that was in the back of his thoughts as the safety of his adopted daughter and his friend Alazandra were in the foremost of his mind.

His hair was still wet from the bath he had taken to clean himself up. The tunnels and such that he had been scurrying through had been filled with rotting vegetables and other garbage, and there was little chance he would or could travel covered in it and smelling like he did. Instead of trying to clean his clothes, he purchased new, and threw the others away. His ill fitting shirt hung loosely on him and his leggings were rolled up several times at the bottom so they wouldn't drag. He bought a new pack, abandoning the old one to the stench, and sadly tossed the remains of his broken lute on the community fire in Realt. A new one would also have to wait.

He approached the guards to pay his fee and present his credentials for his return to the city. With a heart full of anticipation and nervous angst, he awaited his turn to gain entrance into the city once more.
[b]Putting the "Imp" in impassible since 2004[/b]

[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=428][b]Motley's Compendium[/b][/url]
Haikan
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Haikan »

As Motley approached the guards, he might've noticed they were asleep. The three guards on duty at the palace were all unconscious, apparently bored from little work requirement of late. One man stood wide awake and staring off into the distance with a cold look on his face. His eyes did not twitch from staring at the Palace, and he therefore did not notice his sleeping companions.

The palace was quiet, and the Bazaar was moderately crowded, nowhere near it's normal bustling mob. The guard finally turned because something was out of the ordinary, something wasn't right behind him.

There was the voice of a young girl, screaming in the distance. It wasn't too shrill, for it was far away, at least it seemed so because it happened in the Bazaar, and the milling people muffled the sound which came from somewhere in those streets. Few people turned to care, for their capitalistic indulgence was their only concern.

"Clayton! Dammit wake up! Sounds like someone just witnessed a damned murder, go check it out!" Clayton ignored his fellow officer's shouting, evidently the backs of his eyelids were much superior at garnering his attention.

"Dammit all to the nether, I can't just leave this station unattended... The captain is going to hear about this... Slackers, all of you!"
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

Motley's mismatched eyes traveled from one guard's face to the next.

Asleep. Asleep. Uh... Gods only know where... Asleep.

My guess is things have been rather quiet around here since I've been gone.

It was at that moment that Motley realized that he was mistaken again. A young girl's scream sent horrified shivers down his spine.

No! No! No! I can't be too late! Dear Gods above and beyond, please don't let me be late...!

The officer began to rouse his men and Motley was torn between bolting into the city in the confusion, or waiting until they processed him back into Roque d'Ancourt properly. He closed his eyes and dropped his head, wracked with grief and madness over what to do. He shifted his weight from one foot to the other, and shuffled with indecision. His eyes opened to follow the events and he caught a glimpse of something that made his decision for him in an instant.

His twisted and malformed lower half filled his vision. There was no way he could outrun the guards. Even though he knew the city better than he knew himself, his body would betray him and he would be caught and thrown in a cell. Then he would have no chance to help or save anyone. He simply couldn't run, but he did have other methods to get him into the city faster.

With a deep, cleansing breath, he cleared away his anxiety and centered his mind and emotions. Then he summoned a bit of his arcane craft and spoke to the guard in a calm, measured tone, with slight emphasis on certain key words that he hoped would help the guard make up his mind quickly as he planted his subtle suggestion.

"Officer. You don't have to leave. Let your men hurry for you. Captain Markham will be proud that you remained steadfast and that you can do your job so well. She will be proud that you were able to process the line and manage the crisis at the same time, without too much of a rush."

[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=428][b]Motley's Compendium[/b][/url]
Haikan
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Haikan »

"Maybe I should stay... No! That's not what a good soldier would do! I'll wake up the rest of the guard, so they can watch the shift here, and then we'll go find where that scream came from. Yeah, I'm going to take that fancy statement of yours there as a volunteering, buddy. Hope you don't mind but I don't have time to wait for one of these idiots to wake up and get back to the land of the living, and competently provide backup for me." The frazzled soldier took the butt end of his spear and jabbed the guard to his left in the gut. The spear pinged off his armor, but managed to jar him awake. "Wha, wh- who? Aw crap I'm in trouble now."

"You're not in trouble. Not yet, just be a gent and wake the others, I'm going to go catch a crook, and this little guy's coming with me. Gimme your shrill piece." The superior officer held out his hand, and the sleepy comrade nodded blankly, pulling out a small clay ornament which had two holes in it. The better of the two turned to Motley and handed him the item. "This thing'll shriek like a banshee if you blow in this hole right.. here at the front. If you find the crook before I do, use this and I'll come arrest him.

"Don't worry, you'll probably get a bounty from the captain for this. She's a big fan of justice and I'm not- Dammit we don't have time, just come if you're brave enough." The guard immediately turned and began to hustle as fast as a man in fully plated armor can comfortably move. About twice normal walking speed he headed in the direction of the Bazaar. He'd barely made it ten paces when he turned around to face Motley. "Oh and thanks for the suggestion, I think this is a better idea though. Call me Rigby." And he turned to go again.

"W... Why would a civilian help out a... Gyuh... I'm tired." The remaining guard slowly shuffled over to another and he slapped him in the face. "Wake up, apparently something's happening." The lazy soldiers continued to go about their business, but in the Bazaar the scream occurred again, and as far as Motley could tell, the vision from Sierra had been accurate. It was doubtful that he had much time.
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

Motley's mismatched eyes traveled from one guardsman to the next. He had clearly not intended to volunteer to help.

"Sir I..."

He was going to have the guard take a closer look at him, to clearly indicate that he was no fighter, nor even very good with any sort of weapon, so him being a part of some patrol to catch a criminal was a lost cause. But Motley's mind was an ever swirling whirlpool and he realized that having the backing and assistance of the Roque's might be all the martial help he needed to save his daughter if that's what this was coming to.

"Lead on. I follow offic.... er Rigby."

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt”