Grand Conjunction: Voyage of the Laika

Moderator: Mods

Galliban

Post by Galliban »

Galliban took the greasy pieces of cloth and wrapped the loose ends around the arrow shaft as quickly and tightly as she could, then handed the arrow to the captain to light. She quickly grabbed another arrow and tied more of the cloth around the arrow, again wrapping the loose ends around the shaft tightly.
folderol

Post by folderol »

The Captain replied to Val. “We’re getting the fire arrows ready as quickly as we can.”

Valsert continued to shoot. He heard the scream of another pirate as one of Val’s arrows found its mark.

Captain Andrenescu lit the arrow, and tossed it over to Val. “Hot one coming your way!” He called to the archer by way of a warning. “Send it high, into her sails and rigging.” He advised.
valsert
Sergeant of the Purple Guard

Post by valsert »

Val was not caught totaly by surprise when the captain tossed him the arrow, altho he had to react quickly to keep from grabing the wrong end and scorching his fingers.

As he notched the arrow the heat from the flame matched the suns heat on his neck and back bringing even more sweat to his brow.

"Yes sir, to the windbag it goes.."

Ducking low, he moved to a new location. Then poped up enuf to aim at the center of the main sail where the mast stood behind it, in the hopes that if his shot were to be off he would at the least put fire to the sail itself.

With the twang of the bow string came an instant cooling to his face as the arrow left. Ducking down again, Val noticed for the first time his right inside forarm was scraped and bleading, altho not uncomon for bow work, the sting from the sweat in the wound was still an uncomfortable nucance.

With the seting up and fireing of the flame arrow, Val quickly fired a few more shots at the attackers themselves, trying to keep them surpressed untill he could fire another firery missle.
folderol

Post by folderol »

Val’s arrow shot through the mainsail. The fire arrow left a scorched hole, but did not set the sail ablaze. He saw one pirate climbing high into the rigging. Arrows continued to land around the Laika. Val sent arrows back at the pirates.

The captain yelped as an arrow landed into his shoulder. “The vile bastards hit me!” He called out.
valsert

Post by valsert »

Val scurried to the captains side and evaluated his wound.

"Sir, i think i can pull this free.." Grasping the arrow firmly with bothe hands, he begain gently but steadyly pull the missile free.

"You should probly stay low, and continue with the lited arrows...if you can sir. Maby Gillaban can fire them as i attempt to pick off any who try to put out the flames. I can see no other choice, they will surely attempt to board us soon, and we may not stand a nats gerth of a chance when they do!.. "

Val paused while he tryed to some up with some sort of plan..

"sir..is ther e any way to disable there ship? other than raming yours into it?."

while talking, val notched another arrow, and took air... then fired.
folderol

Post by folderol »

The captain screamed out in pain as Val pulled out the arrow. His face became very pale, and sweat broke out on his forehead. He leaned back against the wheel house. “No, I can’t think of any other way to disable thir ship. If we can catch their rigging afire, that could work.” He answered.

Captain Andrenescu set up his lantern on the deck beside him. His arm hung limp at his side, and blood flowed out of his shoulder in a steady stream. “I will try to keep handing off fire arrows.” He said weakly.

The pirate ship continued to close the distance on the Laika. The constant noise from the hail of arrows became a thrum in the background. Gallibran managed to hit another of the pirates with one of her arrows.
valsert

Post by valsert »

Val cursed underhis breath as he saw the blood streaming from the captions wounds.

"We have to stop this bleeding....or it will not matter if they catch us or not.."

Val cut two strips of his shirt off, and used one as a bandage, and the other he wadded into a ball. he then put the wadding directly on te wound, and tied it inplace with the bandage, then turned back to the fight.

bowing his head, Val said a quick prayer to Pan, asking for his guadance, and the stringth to hinder the pirites and the god Ithrainne.

"sir... how close are we to Pans isle... if we are closer, then we couldchange course and attempt to find help."

Keeping his prayors to Pan firmly in his mind and soul..val aimed and prepared to fire again.
valsert

Post by valsert »

Val fired a few more shots as he waited for the next flame arrow. Then taking the fire arrow, he notched it and aimed at the suggested target of the rigging for the sails.

He took careful aim, ignoring the sweat which rolled down his face and driped from his brow and nose, then let loose his shot and ducked quickly behind his cover without even checking to see if his mark was hit.
folderol

Post by folderol »

OOC - Sorry Val, I thought I posted a reply last week. :oops: I will try to do two this week. Hopefully things will slow down with work, and let me post more often.

===

Val ducked behind the wheelhouse after he fired. The captain crawled back to the wheel. “We should change course. Right now anywhere is better than here.” He said weakly, crawling on his knees and elbows to the wheel.

Val heard a great shouting coming from the pirate vessel. The rain of arrows hitting the Laika began to lessen. Sneaking a peek, he saw that the pirate ship’s mainsail was sprouting tongues of fire, and the orange waves danced across the surface of the sail canvas. The pirate ship glowed in the light of its burning rigging. Val could see pirates running across the deck of their ship, frantically trying to cut down the sil, and extinguish the flames.

The captain called out from the back of the wheelhouse. “We’re pulling away from them. Keep firing, Val! Keep up the scare in them, and we might just live through this.” he yelled excitedly.
valsert

Post by valsert »

"Aye aye sir!" Val said with a grin "and thanks to you Pan" he whispered.

Still crouched, val noched an arrow. Then raising, he took aim at one of the men trying to get to the flames.

If i can just keep some of them off from puting out the flames maby i can keep them running. he thought.

He continued to fire, then drop low and scramble to a new location after each shot. Not only for his safety, but he was sure the enemy did not know just how few were on board with him.

"Sir, you know these waters. We should head to a friendly city port or area which may be active with any friendly ships. May be we can find some help, or atleast find a place to restock our weapons."

Val took a quick check on the number of arrows remaining, then begain to tell Galliban to fire the flame arrows as they were made, but remembering there fight the last time he tryed to give an order (back when the house landed) he rephrased and adjusted his tone.

"Galliban, you think you can put more fire in that ship?"

o.o.c: Well boss hehe work pays better than Tazlure..so i hope your work hold out strong! :) the game can wait. Is it down to just me and the captain? i thought i saw Gall post somewhere during the week, but could be wrong :P

hehe in game tho, if i ever make it back to the purple guard, i wonder how on earth i will explane the loss of so many members who have just gone away :P hehe i cant say they are dead.... or do you think i will have any problems with that?

anyway, i have no probs if you cant get here to post, im semi hyperposter if given the chance, i check in each day, some times more than twice lol.... ya just have to ignore my coffee driven over posting!
Last edited by valsert on Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Galliban

Post by Galliban »

OOC: Sorry I haven't been posting, life is rather hectic right now.

IC: "These arrows are as flamable as they will get while still being useful. If you want more flame, fire at an area in the ship that is easier to burn." Galliban said as she handed Val another prepared arrow. She seemed tense, to say the least, but one could hardly expect anything else considering the situation.
folderol

Post by folderol »

OOC – Sure Val., I thank you for your patience.

“Captain Andrenescu replied, “Yes, but we are about as far from our destination, as we are from our starting point.” He grinned when he heard the scream of another pirate. “Good shot, Val. Another one on target!”

Val could see the pirate ship’s flame covered sail crumple down tot he deck as they managed to cut it loose. The Laika started to leave the pirate ship behind. Val continued to fire, until the pirate ship began to fall back out of range. Soon, there were no more of the pirate arrows landing anywhere close to the Laika.

“I think the pirate’s are dead in the water.” The Captain said. “It will take them a while to raise another sail – if they even have one.” He explained. “We did it!”
valsert

Post by valsert »

Valsert knelt, with his bow arm dangling loosly at his side, and staired at the other ship as it sliped further and further away.

Droping his bow to the deck, he turned and slid down the side of housing, exhausted from the constant momentom of the battle.

"Sir." he said in a tired voice. "What sort of salves do you have which we can put on that sholder of yours?"

"Hey Galliban, are you ok? any scrapes or burns from those arrows, that need attention?"

Then raising to his weary feet, he began to search for the ships healing packs so as to do his best at playing doctor.
folderol

Post by folderol »

Captain Andrenescu took the helm. “There are healer supplies in the locker next to the galley. I do not have a lot, but there must be something useful there.” He offered.

On the horizon, beyond the pirate ship, clouds raced across the sky, occluding the stars. The moon was almost half, reflecting on the choppy sea.

Val quickly found the locker that the captain mentioned. Inside were a few jars of various types of salves and creams, a basket filled with bandages, and some sturdy sticks for use as splints.
valsert

Post by valsert »

Val did not know much of healing, nor could he read any lables on the jars, so he brought up all he could carry.

"Sir, i am sorry i do not know more of healing, but if you will instruct me, i will do my best....altho i can splint that sholder and arm. It will heal faster if you are not useing it."

He did his best at puting on the healing ointments, then searched for a bucket and brush to clean away the blood and sweat from the deck.

Lowering the bucket by its rope, he filled it with the sea's water, and hoisted it back up. As he washed, he counted the enemy arrows as he pulled them from the ships wood.

"By the Grace of Pan! with this many arrows shot at us, it is a wonder we excaped with the little damage we did!"

Val regreated his words instantly, for in his mind excaping with little but scratches while his captains wounds were more serious held little to be thankful for.

o.o.c. i was about to put in a request that my char sheet be updated...from the loss of all my stuff in the fire an P.Guard HQ, But i wanted to make sure first of what i have on me and what was given to me in the bags when we left the count.

what i think i have: are my clothes including one lilac uniform.
my sword, bow, quiver.
some paperwork explaning where i have been, and sealed by the count.
and what ever else was in the bag, im not sure if there was any money or not. Or if there were any other things of intrest there.

sorry for my mixup

Val
Last edited by valsert on Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
folderol

Post by folderol »

OOC: I’ll give some thought to what possessions Val would have. It was one of the things I had intended to do before, but it completely slipped my mind. My apologies.

Edit: Ok, I updated some fo the inventory and skills for Valsert. I still have to try to add in the monetary gift the Count gave you. (Troubles with the program.)

Val cleaned up over a hundred arrows that landed into the ship. The captain commented, “My goodness, I had no idea that they shot so many. We were indeed lucky, parhaps the gods are looking out for us.”

Val set the basket on the deck beside the wheel. “Just cut away the shirt, and rinse off the extra blood. But, you need to be careful around the wound itself. Do not brush it with the stiff bristled brush, or I might just have to do something drastic like throw you overboard.” He said through gritted teeth.

The captain gave Val directions on what needed to be done, then went into details step-by-step. After a half candle mark, the captain stood at the wheel, faint, but surviving, with his arm bound to his chest in a sling. When it was all done, he asked Val, “Why don’t you head down to the galley, and see if there is anything to eat? I think we could all use some food, and maybe a little grog.”
Last edited by folderol on Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
valsert

Post by valsert »

Val smiled at the captain when he mentioned drink and food, then headed swiftly for the ships kitchen. He gathered what easy to eat food he could find and took it back to the deck. Seting down his load, a thought struck him, and he went to his bag to pull out the drink the count had given him as a gift.

"Well sir, i dont know how this will taste" Val said with a smile "but its sure to help ease the pain in your sholder!"

Val opened the container and sniffed at its contents, raising his brow high in a comic way to indicate poticency before handing it to the captain.

"just be careful sir, i would hate for you to get drunk and force me to do something drastic......like toss you overboard" he joked, playing on the captains earlyer words.
Last edited by valsert on Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
folderol

Post by folderol »

Captain Andenescu sniffed at the flask. “Ah, slivovic,” he commented before taking a hefty slug. “Oh yeah, that’s some good brew!” He said with a gasp, handing the flask back to Val. “I do not know if you are familiar with this drink or not. It is a little bitter, but very potent. We call it slivovic, it is a plum brandy."” He explained.

“No need to worry about having to throw me overboard. I’ll just drink enough to dull the pain.” The captain agreed.

The Laika continued to sail into the night.
valsert

Post by valsert »

Val took the offered flask then took a mouthful, and held it to fully enjoy the sensation of the liquids spices before swallowing. The taste of the drink, and the warm burning in is stomach brought a smile to his lips.

"mmumm.. Yes it is very tasty indeed. Slivovic you say?" Val said, letting the drinks name roll off his toung. " I think it is a great name, for a great treat!"

Val held the open flask, letting the scent of the brew linger in the air as he stared out at the beauty of the nighttime sea. The view of the ocean pulled at valsert’s heart, bringing memories of his lost friends to his mind. Loosing control of his normal stoic manner, they broke free from his grasp and swirled inside him.

His face showed no more emotion than normal, but the spiritual awakening inside him was a ragging torrent of mixed pain and relief. The years of pent up emotions took shape, and he saw every bad memory from the loss of his friends, to the last look of his fathers face flash by.

The memories flew from his heart to his mind and gathered there. He imagined them taking the form of the enormous shadow with dragon’s wings.

As the flood of thoughts poured from his heart, the space was instantly filled with what felt like silvery mist and Valsert’s soul soared with the power of an inner calm he had never felt before.

He closed his eyes, and basked in the new found balance of his self.

{Great Illuminatus, I thank you for teaching me the value of my past, and even more for giving balance to my existence at long last. I will be yours always, and fight always as your wisdom guides.}

Val opened his damp eyes, and looked briefly again at the sea. He did not know if he gods had heard his prayer, nor did he care, for he now knew his own worth and the path which he needed to take in life.

He looked again out at the sea, then took one last drink in salute of his past. Then capping the flask he turned to Captain Andenescu.

“Sir, if you think the weather will stay calm, maybe I should take a turn at the helm and let you rest for a while. You can sleep here above deck incase I need your assistance.”
Last edited by valsert on Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
folderol

Post by folderol »

OOC – Sorry for the long break. Between Thanksgiving and the flu, I forgot to post last week. I could have sworn that I posted a reply, but that might have been the fevered haze. I am doing much better now, though.

OOC 2 – This post will also be posted back in the Citadel forum as well.

OOC 3 – Wow Val, after your last very impressive post, it seems so fitting to do a fade to black, then cut scene to the Laika docking… matter of fact, I think that is what I am going to do. It has been a long story, but I feel that this portion of it has come to a close. The strange storm took several of you from the Purple Guard. You then journeyed through the wilderness and into a foreign land. Your path led to the sea, and finally home…

=.=.=

Captain Andrenescu slept through the night on deck, with Val at the conn. The next day, the captain altered course a few points to the south. Their new course, and favorable winds would land the Laika back at the Citadel in a few days.

The days passed without incident. Val helped the Captain sail the small ship, and tended to his injuries as best as he was able. During those days, the captain’s health improved, but Val spent more time at the helm. Perhaps he new found peace came from his time staring into the vast distances of the sea, or perhaps it was the clean sea air and simple but necessary tasks.

=.=.=

The Laika bumped lightly against the pier as the Captain tossed the line to the dock hand. At long last, Val could look up the rocky cliffs, and see the bulk of Citadel Island. Once ashore, he was less than a league from the gates of the Citadel itself.

The Captain finished locking the line into a cleat, and turned to his protégé. “I was not sure if I would be able to land you back at the Citadel or not. But, as you can see, here we are. It has been a pleasure having you as a member of my crew. If you ever plan on changing jobs, you are always welcome back to join me as a sailor.” He reached out to shake Val’s hand, and send him off.
felis catus

Post by felis catus »

Sorry for posting in the thread, but I was unable to find a continuation. can you point me, please? I really had fun lurking here, and got kinda attached to the characters.

Return to “On the Water Archive”