The final result of Project Elf

Moderator: Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

The final result of Project Elf

Post by Maeve »

After many months Project Elf has finished. We are proud to present the results.

So what has changed? What has stayed the same? And what are the consequences for your PC? Read on and you will know.

1. The Race Write up
The Elves are henceforth known as the Adhiel, and the half elves as Achadhiel. The racial write up for the Adhiel and Achadhiel has been simplified. No longer do we recognize the separate subraces, with the exception of dark elves who have dark skins due to a curse. What is left is the differences between cultures of Adhiel, just as with humans. Some will live in the woods, as others will prefer cities.

We have put bigger emphasize on some of the shared characteristics for Adhiel.

Adhiel are caretakers, nurturers, gardeners. He/she adapts to their surroundings by utilizing it, reshaping or influencing it where needed. Adhiel are not builders but re-shapers. They do not destroy the natural environment. As a people, the elven ideal is to literally live in perfect harmony with the natural world around them, adjusting both themselves and that world with subtle, almost minor changes to make that possible.

In addition to being nurturers/gardners of their environment, Adhiel are very traditional and resistant to change. This leads them to be internally focused on their own culture, viewing things outside their own culture with suspicion in varying degrees from being indifferent to outsiders to being outright xenophobic (actively stopping/reducing outside influence).

Advantages: Adhiel enjoy a much greater eyesight and hearing compared to most other races. In addition to this, they are inherently nimble and swift in reflexes.
Disadvantages: Adhiel are generally weaker and more fragile than other races, both in bone structure and in endurance. This is coupled with a reduced tolerance for toxins.

Note that both advantages and disadvantages have consequences for Elven warriors and their preferred style of fighting. Stealth and Martial Arts to be preferred over Melee. No broad swords but light weapons. No heavy armor. Mithril is discontinued, with nothing to replace it as it is not a natural material, and Adhiel will avoid the use of steel in general.

We have decided that Adhiel will age normally instead of logarithmically, getting rid of the comparative tables. So.. you can have an 18 year old Elf or an 18 year old Human. Adhiel grow wiser with age though, and as they do they surpass Humans. Adhiel live to the ripe age of 300 yahren, while Achadhiel can become up to 150 yahren.

You can read the complete new write up for the Adhiel and the Half Elf, Achadhiel, in the Race database in the World Guide.

2. The Language
Since our early days we have been using Quenya (originally created by Tolkien and believed to be shareware provided you do not have commercial intentions) as the Elven language. This has led to several complications:

a) Despite our best intentions we have not proven beyond a doubt that Quenya is shareware for non-commercial ventures. Therefor, under our own copyrights policy, we had to discontinue it.

b) Whereas Quenya always played a minor role in Tazlure, since the LOTR movies we've been facing a steady stream of self declared Quenya experts using so much of the language it is proving an hinderance to moderators. It pulled the focus off the story and plot which is where we want our spotlight... not on linguistic exercises or who has a better grip on the pretend language.

In response to this dilemma we have created our own Tazlure Elven language. You can find the new Adhiel Phrases in the Tazlure Lexicon in the World Guide so you can use them for flavor in your posts. However, we are not publishing the grammar rules to avoid a growth of its use beyond mere flavor. Be sure to provide a translation with your posts if you use any of the phrases. New phrases can be added on request, but we will limit the amount.

The discontinuation of Quenya has caused some adaptations of the names of NPC's and locations though something closely resembling the old names was chosen.

3. Changes in the settings
The IC events of most of the Elves being transported to the Oasis, has given us the excuse needed to change the existing settings to reflect our new emphasizes. In the coming days and weeks you will see the closure of the Oasis and the relaunching of the Elven locations.

The most important changes are:

Gulanadur
The general layout of this underground city and its main institutions has remained the same, though descriptions may vary. Emphasize is on the dark elves desire for pleasurable things and a tendency to be decadent, without being inherently evil despite the fact they have this ancient curse hanging over them. The harsher aspects of the Adhiel write up (closed to foreigners, strong on tradition) certainly apply, but slavery has been discontinued. Due to the challenges of its geography Gulanadur will rely strongly on trade rather than being a place for hunter/gatherers. The most important change is that from now on dark elves will be allowed to gain access to the world above.

Taquar
Formerly known as the proud Elven nation TAQ, Taquar has only one forum to start with. Some locations and NPC's have been renamed. Adjustments have been made in the military structure of Taquar: the Emerald Guard now being solely an elite unit, specializing in certain missions and not used for general defense nor that often in direct combat. The Emerald Guard will be the only swordcarrying unit, and even they will have to limit themselves to light versions. The Temple of the Mother no longer has its own warriors. Taquar is a rural setting, with only the capital itself being a city, and even that is adapted to the woods. The focus of Taquar is very much inward, with a strong oral tradition.

Pan's Isle
Pan's Isle, home to those elves and fae gifted by Pan himself, is shaping up to face the darkness. While exotic elements, and all kinds of creatures besides Adhiel, will remain an important part of this setting, the "sex, drugs and rock & roll" elements will be less pronounced. There will be IC events that will help this. Some locations have been renamed.

Kislovan and the Eastern Empire will remain closed for now, but their write ups in the World Guide will be adapted.

4. Roleplaying Elves

To help both moderators and players we have created a document that gives you some tips on how to better role play Adhiel than simply humans with pointy ears. This article will apply to all elves, regardless of their location. You can find it in the Players Guide, right here.

5. Grandfather clause

All names of PC's will be accepted on face value. Nobody will be asked to adjust their name to a non-quenya version (though if you want to do this regardless, contact your mod).

We do not think the age issue is providing any problems, since time in Tazlure evolves very slowly and Adhiel by nature are young of heart and mind. Therefor no adjustment to age is necessary, but you can request one if you want to.

If you are playing in a non-Elven location you will notice little or no change in your surroundings and issues surrounding your PC. You are now known simply as an Adhiel, instead of a high, sylvean or wood elf, but that is about it. We do point out that the Adhiel advantages and disadvantages will apply. If you have been using heavy armor and/or weapons a moderator should have pointed out to you before that this was not realistic even under our old system. If you are not following a standard elven concept in your charactersheet according to our role playing tips you may wish to adjust part of your character concept. Discuss things with your moderator if you think there are any problems.

If you are in an Elven location, or used to be before it was closed, you will notice a few changes to your surroundings when you get back. Most of this will be explained away IC by the Exodus of Elves and we will gloss over some of the name changes. The Adhiel advantages and disadvantages will apply. This will have consequences for all Elven warriors and the way their plotlines will be shaped from now on, including the Emerald Guard. In addition to that you might need to adjust part of your character concept if your sheet doesn't adhere to the new standards of what is an acceptable career and/or personality for an elf. Contact your moderator how to deal with this problem.

FAQ sheet

Q. My PC is in the Oasis. What will happen to him?
A. That depends entirely on the behavior of your PC. Your moderator Grant is working on a grand finale to bring closure to the Oasis, and afterwards it will be up to your PC to return home if he so wishes.

Q. When will I be able to see the details of the Elven locations?
A. In the coming days and weeks all existing Elven locations will reveal themselves, updating the information in the World Guide as they go. This means that new PC's will be able to start in those locations.

Q. Can I retire my current Elven PC and start a new one?
A. Yes, if you so wish you may always chose to retire a current PC, and this time is no different.

Q. But I have High Elf stating on my charactersheet.
A. Check again. Our webmaster has changed all elven descriptions in the database to list either Adhiel or Achadhiel.

Q. My Adhiel PC is not a nurturer/gatherer/gardener type. Is this a problem ?
A. No. As long as your Adhiel PC's personality is not in direct contradiction to the Elven concept, and lives in a human area, then this is not a problem for your PC would have been 'humanized' somewhat by living in such close proximity to the other races. Unless you really want to make changes, you can grandfather in minor details. If you are unsure, contact your moderator.

Q. Does my Adhiel PC need to adjust IC play?
A. That depends. As long as you know to avoid concepts that are truly alien to Elves a mod will not ask you to adjust your behavior. We believe that the majority of elves were already more or less living up to these concepts, and they have only been clarified for easy reference.

Q. My Adhiel PC owns heavy armor, mithril, heavy weapons, has skills in heavy weapons/armor. Is this going to be grandfathered in as well?
A. No. This is considered too alien for elves. Discuss with your moderator how you can replace the heavy items with something more appropriate, or post a request in the Approved Sheets forum. Your skills will need to be substituted with something appropriate as well. The Emerald Guard will be issued new standard weaponry and armor to solve the problem.

Q. Wait a burn... my PC's background states my Elf is a weaponsmith/armor smith/anything with great musclework. Can this be grandfathered in ?
A. No. It would be very illogical for an elf to do such muscular work, though exceptions can be made for half elves as they lean towards their human ancestors. This means that Adhiel with such an alien concept in their background need to adjust. Could he have started out as fletcher instead? How important is the muscular work? Discuss this problem with your moderator and adjust your sheet. Note that Achadhiel have nothing to worry about.

Q. You abandoned Mithril, why?
A. Because in our new concept of elves we have taken out contradictions, such as heavily armored Adhiel using "trick material" to bypass their weaknesses. Adhiel are no fun without their weaknesses and disadvantages.
In our view on Adhiel they would not use much steel willing as it
a) requires muscle to work it into something usable
b) is expensive to obtain
c) is heavy to wear (note how mithril neatly bypassed this weakness by being super light)
d) is not a "natural" material as such, being contrary to the whole way of life of elves

Q. But my PC has items made of Mithril. How will you deal with that?
A. Discuss this with your moderator. We suggest you replace it with a light form of armor. Yes, it will be less invincible, but that's just the way it is.
The Emerald Guard owns state issued mithril armor. They will be issued new material.

Q. What do you mean when you say that Half Elves will lean to their human ancestry? My PC was raised among elves.
A. Half Elves still have some human genes and more importantly human muscle. This means that some of the disadvantages to adhiel will not apply in full to achadhiel, nor will the advantages btw.

Q. My PC's name has very specific meaning in Quenya. Do I need to change my name? What if I want to keep the meaning?
A. Nobody is obliged to change their name. However if you want to adjust the name of your PC to make it sound more like the new version of Elven then ask a moderator to assist you.

Q. Is there any logic to this new Tazlurian Elven? Can I learn to speak it? What if what I want to say is not in the lexicon?
A. There is logic and coherence to Tazlurian Elven, and moderators have access to a set of grammar rules so they can create new words if necessary. However in the interest of limiting its use we are only providing the lexicon. The use of Elven should never take away from the storytelling. If you want to make a speech in Elven simply state: Adhiel said in Elven " bla bla bla".

Q. I only see male versions of words in Tazlurian Elven. What about the females?
A. Elves in general consider male and female as equal, except for the dark elves of Gulanadur who put women on a pedestal of power. So, in the Elven language there is no difference between male and female except in a few noted cases.

Q. Suddenly my elf is no longer the young boy/girl I thought he was. Is this a problem?
A. That depends. Do you think it is a problem that your Adhiel now has a right to some maturity and wisdom, even if this is not reflected in skills? If you are truly bothered by this ask a moderators help in adjusting your PC's age. We won't make a problem of it though, unless you do ;)

Q. Why all of this for Elves? What about Half Giants, Gnomes, Dwarves and Halflings?
A. Considering the number of players who chose Elves as the race of their PC we thought they should have priority. Changes and similar additions (possibly with language additions and roleplaying tips) to other races are on our list for development.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]

Return to “OOC Archives”