Seeking Tutors - Barrett

Moderator: Mods

Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

Hattark's words were obviously designed to harm or plant doubt in Barrett's mind. What they roused however was his anger. Had he an animal's instinct, he would have struck out at the man. As it was he did not have the energy to spare, nor the inclination to succumb to such goading. He was relieved when the sorcerer left, but he held fast to the staff and used it to hold himself upright. Only when the paladins arrived did he relinquish his grip on the wood and sink wearily to the ground.

He awoke in a room that was not his own. Sunlight filled the room and made tiny dancing flickers of the particles that floated in the air near the window. Barrett spent a moment just observing the play of the light before his attention was drawn to the garden view.

The sound of a voice caused him to try to turn toward the speaker, thus proving her advice before it had left her lips. Barrett settled back down and took stock of his various aches and pains. He remained still while his attendant applied salve to his face.

"Where is Asran? Is he alright?"
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

The woman frowned. "Yes and no. He is alive and kicking, unlike you, but... well, it's hard to explain-"

"I'll explain to him myself, Nima, thank you." He took a seat next to Barrett's bed. "You look badly messed up, young man. But the healers say you'll have your baby face back when they're done, so don't worry. I figured it was possible that you had some questions left about the past few days. So I thought... let me pay that good boy a visit."

Though he didn't look quite as pale as he had just after the confrontation, but his color was certainly not very lively either.
Verum et factum convertuntur.
Avatar by the Artist Currently Known as Eira.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Relief filled Barrett and he tried to sit up to greet Asran despite his pain.
"Master Asran! Are you well? What does she mean? Where are we? Is the cult broken? Hattark came to me before he left. He came before the paladins. I'm not sure how... or why? Asran, who or what is Hattark? He told me some things..."

Barrett was as certain as he could be that he had made the right decision, but the sorcerer's words had raised many disturbing questions within him.

"What is going to happen now?"
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Stay where you are, you young fool!" Asran apparently didn't manage to put real anger in his insults towards Barrett anymore, hence he sounded more playful than he had before. "The summoning was prevented, though it was a very close call indeed. I asked a friend of mine in the temple of Illuminatus to send their paladins, but he said he didn't thought he'd be able to convince his superiors. Luckily, he did manage it in the end."

"Hattark Öçal was once one of the most influential High Priests of the cult of Aurelius. He has written many brilliant articles and books on about every subject you can imagine. He introduced dark lores in the training of our novices, saying that knowledge was never good or evil, and that one has to know the enemy in order to combat him. I believe his intentions were pure, at the time.

He found some of the rules of our order rather restrictive, and the order thought some of his experiments were going too far. Though there is no formal institution in our order to nominate or denominate priests or high priests, it became pretty clear that he wanted to follow a different path than the majority, so he quit. I filled in his position. The cult of Aurelius has strange ways. He who sees himself fit to call himself a priest, is a priest. The same goes for High Priests. It is strange that we do not have hordes of incompetent ones running about, but off course Aurelius selects his flesh pretty well." He winked.

"Anyway, over the last several yahren, he has done more and more dangerous things, the summoning of two days ago being the climax, at least for now. It had been a while since I met him, but he has clearly gained tremendous skills as a sorcerer. I know he has developed some kind of ultra-relativistic philosophy, and that he is prepared to force it's consequences upon the world. Either he is truly mad, or he sees a truth that is to difficult for me to see. I don't know; but instinctively I feel nothing but disgust for his ways. That is, in short, the story of Hattark Öçal.

'What is to happen now?' I believe that is always the question, isn't it? Oracle's Isle will remain safe for quite a while, though many of the Orders bring tidings of ill things to come. I don't know how reliable these rumors are, but they lead to grim expectations... As for me in person, I shall not be here to witness it all, I am afraid. As the healer has told you, my condition is not optimal. Though I have no external wounds, I have absorbed many repulsing energies that are making me ill right now. If I were a third of my age, I would stand a chance, but I am no longer up against this, so say the people who can know.

In other words, I shall not be around for too much longer. It is funny that you would pose your question that way, though." The man picked up a heavy old book he had hidden up till then. "My house here on the Isle has been cleared out already. Most of the things there belonged to others, as I myself always have had something against possessions. The house itself I cannot give you either, as I have a different cause in mind for it.

But this, I can offer you. It is a so-called Book of Answers. It is said that it holds the answer to every question. I thought you, nosy brat, would like it. Mind you, it is an old thing, and it's powers are nearly depleted, as this whole demon-thing has required a lot of reading in it. There is enough energy left for three more consultations, though." The man put it on his lap, smiling. "I'm sure you'll know how to use it wisely. Just consider it... a compensation for the trouble I caused, the effort you made, the lessons I will not be able to give you."

"So, young man. You think you're ready for what lies ahead then?"

OOC: I added the item to your inventory. Could you please check whether your total money is correct? I'm afraid i messed it up a bit :oops:
Last edited by Finodborn on Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Nothing that Asran said of Hattark came as much of a shock. But what was revealed of the order of Aurelius was rather interesting. It seemed rather frustrating that they would have allowed the renegade to retain an open position of respect and power. But there were factors that Barrett knew he was not qualified to judge.

The priest seemed calm for one who knew his remaining days were numbered. Then again, Barrett supposed, knowing one's end was near allowed for preparations to be made and panicking would only waste precious time. He felt both honored and touched that Asran would bother to spend some of that time and energy on him. the book was troublesome. Barrett was not certain he wanted such a grand possession. Still he might have need of it if things continued as they had started here on the isle.

"Ready? The best I can do is keep a clear mind and meet what comes as I am able. I fear there is still much in what has already happened that I will take yahren perhaps to see the full meaning of. You've already taught me much by example whether you intended it or not. If there is anything I can do for you... well, you know."

OOC: Err, the money looks okay... If it's wrong there's no big deal as I have plenty more than I need just now. (I hope.)
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

OOC: Yes, the money is correct (now). I recalculated the whole thing, and it's like it should be.

The man laughed out loud. "Yes, I am sure I set a fine example as for how not to do things. No, there's nothing you can do for me. Just rest, so that you may recover well.

I am going now, and I'm afraid we will not see each other again. Don't change too much, Barrett. You're fine the way you are." The man winked, not awaiting further response, and went.

OOC: I am going to close this thread and skill it, 'k?
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett allowed Asran to depart without further questions. Being only recently awakened and having so much to fill his mind, he could not compose any sort of appropriate farewell. He was certain such words were unnecessary in this instance.

Two days?
The thought brought his mind around to his own state of health. Instead of worrying, he turned his gaze to the garden view.

With so many thoughts floating around in my mind, the only thing to be done is to clear it.

OOC: Gotcha. Thanks :D for not feeding me to the demon- yet.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

This is what I found:

Conversation +**
Logical Analysis +* (New skill)
Rote Memorisation + **
Literacy (human) +**
Detect Truth/Deception +** (New skill)
Pray +*
Meditation/Centering (New skill)
Resolve (New skill)
Running (New Skill)
Magic [Shielding]

If you think I've overlooked something, just let me know, alright?
Last edited by Finodborn on Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Oracle's Isle archives (old)”