Ye Ol'Dungeon: Left Group (closed to new players)

Moderator: Mods

Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

"If we would believe that which Anarión brought," responded Ami, holding up the roll of paper he had brought to her earlier, "then we might find a circular pool at the center of this place. This is a place of worship, and this alter should lie there as well," she said, rising, and grasping her wet hair in one hand such that she might bring it under some control. "Let us move onward towards whatever awaits us down the hall, and perhaps we will find this circular pool of water before long."

Her mind flashed back to other pools she had visited, memories that brought a flush of nostalgia and embarrassment. Taught by the dragon of the waters, she had learned to swim in a similar pool, though swimming was only the beginning of what they would teach each other. The dragon who would be human and would foolishly become a djinn, she thought, taking up her spear once more and raising her veil to shroud her face again. And I would see my own world ruined in favor of the beast.

Moving upward beyond the door, Ami joined those that watched the hallway here and cast her own gaze onward, seeing the illumination that reached them from beyond. "Here I see light ahead. Would this be those from whom we separated earlier?" she whispered, glancing back at her comrades. "Let us move forward to find out. Perhaps the most silent among us should go first," she finished, nodding towards the elves in their party.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

As the group made their way down the corridor towards the light, the illumination grew so that by the time they reached the entryway into the next cavern, their lantern sticks were not necessary.

Larger than any room they'd visited yet except for the garden, this room was made of two circles that intersected one another. The walls had been made smooth, obviously by hand and given the unusual construction of the area, perhaps the whole thing had been carved out. Centered in the circular area they entered a round pool constructed of dark blue tiles held water that appeared to go much deeper than floor they stood on. To the left of the pool was another tunnel that held a yellow glow and the air coming from that corridor was much warmer and drier than the rest of the air. North of the pool, was the beginning of perhaps another corridor which was blocked by a locked door after several steps.

In the other circular area, the roof was dome shaped and in the center of the circle, a skylight captured sunlight and beamed it down onto a circular altar that appeared to be made of gold. South of the golden altar of light was another dark cooridor that ran back into the temple. It smelled of the damp and dank they'd found earlier with the soft sound of dripping water echoing faintly down the hallway.

The golden altar had six round depressed areas forming a smaller circle in the center of the altar, each with a different symbol imprinted on the bottom of the circular area. Closer inspection revealed that a simular figure was found on one of the arm bands they had retrieved, one to match each of the six circles.

There were four other circular indentions set at each point of the compass, each marked with a symbol in the bottom, one that clearly represented each of the elements, earth in the southern recess, air in the northern, fire in the east and water in the west.

In the center of the altar were words written in elven.

OOC: Words to come real soon. ;)
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin seemed lost in though for some time. As soon as the other overtook him, he fell in line and silently went ahead. He smiled at his companions. They were a nice group. Resourceful and smart.
As they entered the large room, he walked slowly acrossthe floor to the locked door. All the while he kept his eyes on the other corridor that led from the room.
"It might be wise to place a watch at both entrances. Maybe you would keep a lookout on the one we came through, Theodred? I'll just check the door to the north and then take my place at the left tunnel. But, although the door looks securely locked I think someone should be posted there too."
With that he walks to the northern door and places his ear on its surface.
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Anarión Herunna

Post by Anarión Herunna »

The golden altar of light, and places for each of the elements and the jewelry. The arm bands taken from the priests earlier. Every object had it's perfect position. But what would it unveil? What would happen?

So far the companions had not encountered any evil demons or any ghosts? Nothing very unusual, except a few unfamiliar creatures and bugs. They could be inhabitants of the caves and have lived there since the priests vanquished. The companions had disturebed them in the creatures' own habitat and were attacked.

Anarión was stunned. The hall displayed magnificent craftmanship of someone very gifted. And the golden altar of light centered in the cave. Now they could only place the objects in the depressed areas and wait for the consequences.

"Ami, let us see what is written on the altar. Maybe it can give us a clue of what will happen," Anarión spoke to Ami while he walked to the altar to translate the elven words. It might be difficult for the elven Vanguard for his reading skill might not be sufficient to understand the meaning.
felis catus

Post by felis catus »

For a moment, Theodred felt dazed with the place they entered, and he gaped openmouthed at the altar. but Gvain's words brought him to his senses. he unsheathed his sword again.

"Sure, gavin", he smiled. "I'll watch our backs. Woudn't be fair for some enemy to surprise us now, that we obviously reached the place we were looking for."

Resting his back to the wall, he took a comfprtable postition, leaning on his sword, and casting looks down the corridor, while not observing the actions of his companions.
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

Ami nodded and followed Anarión to the alter, comfortable that whatever dangers might find them would not take them by surprise. Kneeling down at the alter, she collected her items and considered the construction carefully. "I know not these words. They are wetlander, perhaps of your people," she said, glancing up at Anarión. "If you might speak them, perhaps they will show us what must be done, then."

One at a time, Ami collected the bracelets from her bag...the ones with the large stones set within...and placed them into the depression appropriate for them. The earth she placed at the southern-most depression as well. "We need air, fire, and water, here, here, and here," she continued, uncertain how they might put air within a depression. Perhaps we need nothing here, for air would live all around? she thought, though she could not believe this completely.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

As the adventurers touched the altar, the rhyme rang in their thoughts again.

Ancient of time, the Grandfather comes
O'er the land where darkness has run.
Trapped here now, six spirits roam
Til brave hearts are found, to release them to home.

One for them all, the earth power stone
Six for them all, something they owned.
Placed on Light's Altar, set in the round
Worship words sang in a holy high sound.

Each of the elements, bring with you there
Recite the bless'd canon and darkness will tear.

Matching the bracelets, each with a different colored stone and symbol, was easy enough as was depositing the earth. Water would be easy enough to come by, given the pool in the other room. They still needed to gather fire and figure out what to do with the stone they had taken from the neck of the first priest.

The elven script on the altar was old and somewhat archaic, but decipherable.

Ancient of time, dear Grandfather come
Listen to our hearts, enter our homes
Bless our fields, watch over our hearths
Come Grandfather Kennis, we call you forth.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Anarión Herunna

IC: Anarión slowly mumbled the words to himself.

Could the objects and the elements somehow summon Grandfather Kennis? The God was connected to these caves and now the companions needed him to banish the evil; the evil which now lived here.

The elven Vanguard focused on the words again. The two swords at his back. He stretched his arm to feel the cold steel against his fingers. It was comfortable to know he was not unarmed, but what good could they do against a God or a powerful evil...?

Anarión spoke gently to the rest of the group. In awe of the holy place, he did now want to disturb the piece here, "The text says the following,

I think maybe we are to summon Grandfather Kennis to save the temple."

OOC: Actually I did recover water, in my bottle. Or at least I tried to. You can read up on it on page seven; where I gather both the candles and the water.
Last edited by Anarión Herunna on Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

OOC: Anarion- yes, but they are all still in your hands. You didn't put them on the altar. Only Ami put the dirt on it and considered how to do the air part. ;) Unless I missed something. :D
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin turns suddenly. He was not paying much attention to the conversation behind him, but something filtered through to him. Someone said something that triggered a response within his mind.

"Ami, check if the first rock is hollow. Maybe that is the air we need? Trapped withing the stone."
Anarión Herunna

OOC: You are right, of course. I just had the impression you thought we needed to return to the room to collect water.

IC: The companions were scattered far from each other in the large room, but Anarión still heard Gavin's words and acted quickly. He walked briskly to the indention to the west. The symbol represented water.

Anarión slowly spilled water into the depression, only about half of the liquid. If they didn't succeed he wanted to have water left to try again. Finally he placed the bottle, now half-full with water, besides the indention. Ami had almost finished with her objects, and the earth.

"You may be right, Gavin," Anarión hurried to the northern post and closely searched it.

While searching for a loose rock, the elven warrior emptied his pockets. To complete the mission they still needed fire, and he had only the small candles. But without a spark they could do nothing good.

"I have a few candles here. If we could only set one of them on fire," Anarión hinted to the rest of the group. He was uncapable of this himself and searched for help among the adventurers.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin removes his backpack and shakes his head slightly. The inside is a complete mess. With a sigh he starts digging through the contents and tries to find the flint and steel without the need to empty the backpack completely. He fails miserably and starts removing various items from the leather pack.
A second change of clothes, a blanket torn to strips, some dried herb with a strong scent. And finally at the bottom of the pack, his flint and steel.
"Here you go, Anarion. It is almost brand new. You should have no troubled with it. I never tried lighting a candle with one myself, but you could start a small fire and then light a candle that way. Call me if you need any help."
With that done he starts packing his things back. This time he pays more attention to stacking and finally smiles when the packing is complete. It is not as full as it was before and now he knows where everything is.
Anarión Herunna

IC: Anarión accepted the flint and steel with a warm smile on his lips. The elements finally came into place and now all he needed was some dry grass or wood. Both things should not be very difficult to gather, and the elven adventurer knew he could find it in the dormitories they had recently left.

Soon it will come together, and we will see what the temple's magick can provide. Grandfather Kennis, an evil spirit, Anarión could only guess what would appear. For now the companions could only wait.

"I will return to the dormitories to gather wood or grass to light a fire," Anarión proclaimed. He brushed past Theodred and hurried back to the the small rooms.

After a few burns the elven ranger returned with an armful of old, dry wood. He slumped to the ground and placed the wood in front of him. The flint and the steel. He hit the two pieces together hard over the wood and hoped for a spark to set the wood on fire.

OOC: I might have assumed a little too much, if so, please correct me. I am a little unpatient. And Shae, do read both my posts. I have poured water in it's directed bowl.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

OOC: ACK! I am sorry... I keep forgetting to look here now that it was moved down from the top. If I go missing for more than 3 days again.. someone please poke me!! ;)

No, you didn't assume too much. The items had already been defined as being in the rooms. Though in a regular thread, I would give you more trouble trying to start a fire just with a piece of wood and a spark. That would be very difficult to impossible. However, as this is a dream and we often do in dreams what we cannot do in life... we'll go forward. :)

IC:
Though the wood wasn't that dry, given the dampness of the caves, it mysteriously ignited into flames easily enough making the task of lighting a candle to place on the altar simple.

With the four elements and arm bands from each priest in place, the only piece of the puzzle still missing was the earth power stone mentioned in the rhyme. However, there were no other indentions in the altar to indicate where it might go. The only other stone they had acquired during their march through the caverns was the one Amica had retrieved from the neck of the first priest locked inside the room with the chests full of coins.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Anarión Herunna

OOC: Thank you, Shae. Igniting fire is not really my strong side. Never been a true woodsman myself.

IC: The elements were placed correctly in each bowl. Earth, wind and fire. And water. With the jewelry also positioned by the altar, the companions only had to find the earth power stone and wait.

But wait for what? So many possibilities and so few clues. All or nothing.

Anarión approached Ami. His task had been completed for now. He watched her carefully place each bracelet into their appropriate depression. And the earth in the southern bowl. Did she have the earth power stone? He could not recall anything which might resemble an earth power stone, but neither did he know what to look for. The last puzzle, but he could not figure out where to begin.

"Ami," he whispered, not wanting to disturb the large cave with the holy altar and surroundings. Anarión did not worship the Gods here, but he was in awe of the mysterious and strange place. A voice in the far end of his conscience told him he was an intruder in someone's home.

"The earth power stone? Do you have any idea what it can be, or where to search?"
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

(OOC: Sorry for the absence! Thanks for the heads-up, Anarion. I thought I had missed the finale while I was away!)

I don't understand, thought Ami, as she knelt before the alter to consider it closely. We cannot carry air with us anymore than we can place it within this vessel. If it might be held, then it could be placed, she thought, pursing her lips as she considered the riddle. The shaman was comfortable with the remainder of the alter, as well as the script that was carved into it's surface, but the idea of providing the air eluded her despite Gavin's suggestion. Perhaps the truth will come to us? she decided, recovering the stones from her bag along with the earth.

"Perhaps this Earth Power Stone is the alter itself? Or perhaps the riddle would describe these six stones each as the same? Let us place what talismans we have, and hope that fate will smile upon us," she said in response, her eyes never leaving the alter.

She placed the stones one at a time until the outer six depressions were occupied, placing them in the order they had been recovered. Emerald, dark green, dark blue, yellow, green, and purple... Once the stones were in place, she piled a handful of the collected earth into it's depression as well. Once the burning candle...fortunate he collected these...and the water was in place, she pondered upon the last depression with some exasperation.

Where can one see or feel air? It can be seen when it rises in water, and it can be felt when the wind blows, she thought, staring at the symbol at the bottom of the vacant depression. I was mistaken. We do carry air with us...we carry it within us. Perhaps only this will bring the alter to life? she rationalized, cocking her head to once side as she did. "Be ready to chant the lines should the alter show any change," she said, hoping that her logic was sound enough for the great spirit they sought to invoke. Leaning forward, Ami blew what air she held in her lungs upon the alter, her eyes locked open for any signs of change.
Last edited by Amica on Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anarión Herunna

Bump :wink:
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

OOC: Sorry for the delay and thanks for the bump! ;) I am also sorry for taking over PC actions but otherwise this would be short post and then having to wait for you all to start chanting. I will just assume you do so as Ami suggested. :)

IC:
The stones and elements all in place, the air took on an almost electric quality that announced itself in the prickly sensation of tiny hairs standing on end. A very faint humming sound drifted around the room as if the source were moving while the stone on the chain from the first priest's neck began to pulse with power that those sensitive to such things could easily detect.

Easily, the cadence of the chant fell into rhythm with the humming sound and soon the air began swirl around the circular room, a soft breeze at first that quickly became enough to disrupt hairstyles and would have caused capes to flap in the wind. Above the golden altar of light, a tiny stream of light appeared from above, shining down onto the middle of the surface as the wind began to tighten its revolutions until it was centered on the altar as well, strangely not affecting the elements on the altar. The shaft of light widened until it covered the entire outter circle. From within the whirlwind rose an unearthly shreik, a sound that began small but grew in volume until it was painful to hear.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Anarión Herunna

The companions had triggered the mechanism to unleash... whatever it was. The elf continued to chant until the awful shriek began to rise. For a short period he struggled to repeat the words over and over again, but it was futile. Again and again the elf attempted to chant the prayer, but he failed miserably. He managed only to breath the words silently.

Listen to our hearts, enter our...

Listen to our...

Listen...

His words and ability to speak were taken. Anarión clapped his hands to his head to cover his sensing ears. A desperate attempt to regain a hold of himself. Time slowed impossibly and the elf became more aware. Not only did he see the light, illuminating the room, and the high-pitched shriek, he saw also his friends. He claimed they were his friends no matter the earlier arguments. Without each other the quest would probably have been in vain?

But what have we done? What powers have we here? The elven ranger breathed was irregular, and he watched the scene in front of him. Stunned by the light and the sound, he was unable to move or talk.
felis catus

Post by felis catus »

"In the name of Dominicus!", Theodred exclaimed, making a sign against evil. "Sounds like demons from hell!"
not that he knew how demons from hell sounded. Nonetheless, the young peasant's son knew what it meant when hairs on his neck stood upright. Forgetting his duty as backguard for a second, he raised his sword in a two-handed grip, as if preparing to ward of an attack. For a moment he seemed frozen in that pose.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin just stood and waited. He already saw the the most terrifying sight he could imagine in the bowels of that ship. He knew what it felt to see your death coming. But, this sound was unbearable. His head felt like it was going to explode and his face twisted in agony.
He almost expected for his ears to start bleeding. His breathing became shallow and he started to go down on one knee. Then, clenching his teeth he forced himself upright and tried to will the pain from his body.
"There is no pain. There is only the weakness of the flesh. And I am not weak." - he whispered as he strained to remain standing and upright.
Slowly he lifted his gaze and surveyed the room. And smiled a grim smile. 'Come now. Show yourself. This is not working anymore.'

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”