The sword and the pen - Galliban Tyren

Moderator: Mods

Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

The effect was amazing. Not only was the young imp forced back, nor was it merely killed. It was totally incinerated, and Damrod would later only find some very fine ashes on the floor of The Cot.
Galliban's lash did even more than that, however. For just half a flicker she passed out, but when she was back, the stones of The Cot were red hot like those in a wood oven. For a while, it looked like Galliban was going to be fried inside, but Damrod quickly dragged her out. It was a mystery how the source of the heat hadn't affected her.

"Well well, quite uhm... heavy. I'm afraid you've also purified the smell of this little chamber; And to say I have been working on it for years. Have you had... any magick training before, Galliban?"

Whereas the power had been racing through her only a very brief moment ago, Galliban was totally empty now. Both physically and mentally, all her energy had been drained by the blast.

"You were only required to scare it away with your aura, my dear. Anyway, I can't really consider this a failure, now can I? I suppose you feel quite rotten now? What would you like to do, Retreat to the dormitory? Go to the gardens? I advise you to meditate, it will charge you up a bit."
Verum et factum convertuntur.
Avatar by the Artist Currently Known as Eira.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

When Galliban regained consciousness after passing out for that brief moment, she had trouble moving. Not only had the blast knocked the wind out of her, it felt as if her body weighed a ton and a half and all of her mental energy had been sucked out of her. She saw the stones in the room glowing red with heat. She would have gotten up and ran for the door, but her body would not move.

Within moments, the door swung open and Damrod dragged her out of the room. When they were safe outside the room, Galliban used her arms to push herself up into a sitting position. She caught her breath quickly, but she remained in a bit of a daze for a few moments. She still tried her best to listen to what Damrod was saying.

"No, I haven't had any magick training before," Galliban replied to his first question. Galliban put her right hand on the wall to help support her then slowly got to her feet. She normally did not need to use her hands and arms for support as she got up, but she still felt weak and a little shaken up besides. "Perhaps I should go to the garden to meditate." she said to Damrod after she had gotten to her feet.
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear."- Mark Twain
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"I see." Damrod frowned. "We shall have to find a way to harness all this energy then. But those are concerns for later. Come." He gave her an arm.

Not much later, they arrived at the gardens. Damrod dropped her on a comfortable chair. "I shall go get Helen to care for you. I myself must return to my students." And even before Galliban could respond, the man was gone.

After a few burns, Helen arrived with a worried expression on her face. She carried a tea pot and a mug. "Drink this, Galliban. It shall reinforce you a bit, and make the numbness diminish." After that, she took position behind Galliban and started massaging her neck and shoulders. "No headache?"
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban took the mug in hand and took a few sips. The warm liquid soothed her weakened muscles as she enjoyed the massage.

"No, but I do feel a bit light-headed. I shall be fine," Galliban replied. A moment later, she spoke again. "I think that I shall have to learn to control myself. I am fortunate to be alive." she said, clearly thinking aloud. The next time she would see Damrod, she would likely thank him profusely for dragging her out of The Cot. She would also readily apologize for putting him in danger.
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear."- Mark Twain
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Helen laughed out loud in response. "Well, Damrod's methods are a bit experimental, but they pay off. I think the central issue here is that there hasn't been an acolyte for yahren who displays such a gift for the wielding of divine power. Indeed, you'll have to learn how to channel it, but there are techniques for that. I'm sure you'll master them in no time. At which point you shall have potent powers at your disposal, if it pleases Lumi." Helen stopped massaging her muscles.

"Anyhow, time goes on. I'll leave you here until you feel recovered a bit. As soon as you feel up to the job, come see me. Lana of The Red Warrior has arrived to help me with your training. Do not make haste, however. Training you in an exhausted state is -for now- not very useful."

After that, Helen left the garden, whistling some tune and enjoying the sensation of grass peering in between the leather of her sandals.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban watched as Helen walked back into the temple, whistling as she went. When Helen was out of sight, she put her open hands on her thighs and took a few deep breaths. She closed her eyes and tried to put any troubling thoughts out of her mind.

Gaalliban closed her eyes and retreated into herself and searched for her core as she had done before. She let her thoughts flow as Damrod had told her to do. Once she found her core, she focused on it and felt how the Light of Illuminatus supported her. She continued to concentrate on it as the rest of the world seemed to melt away.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

The light filled up all sources and wells that had been depleted, but it did so gradually, for the pits were deep. Her meditation sessions were clearly becoming more intense.

Some time later, she was distracted for a while by a thing with wings that bumped into her forehead. It moved very nervously and seemed to deliberately disrupt Galliban's concentration. It did not bite, on the bright side.

It was a plain, average moth, attracted by the light, for as such is the nature of these little animals. Night had fallen already, and the garden's wonderful colors were all cloaked in the big black gown.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban opened her eyes when the little winged creature bumped into her head. She brushed the moth away and went back to her meditation.

When Galliban was finished, she got up from her chair and took a deep breath of the crisp night air. She strode across the garden and entered the temple, then proceeded to Helen's quarters. The young half-elf knocked on the wooden door a few times and waited patiently for a reply.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

By the time Galliban arrived at Helen's quarters, she heard loud laughter. She arrived just in time to see a stern looking old man in night gown, banging on Helen's door. "Sister Helen! Good you please be so kind as to keep down the noise a bit!!" The 'please' wasn't very credible.

Helen opened the door. "Oh, I'm really sorry, friar Broderick, we'll calm down, it's a promise."- "Some people in this order get up at daybreak, you know" commented the monk, but he was already on his way back to his quarters. It was only then that Helen noticed Galliban.

"Ah Galliban! You're finally there. I've been waiting for marks! I guess the meditation required even some more time than expected. Anyway, you still have but three marks or so until daybreak, so I advise you to go and sleep now. However, you should meet Lana first. She's been a life-long friend.

Helen practically dragged Galliban into her chambers. "Lana, this is Galliban, the girl I told you about."
"Oh, so it's you we're going to teach double sword? Your mentor has greats expectations when it comes to you, I hear. How have you experienced the stern order of Lumi so far?" Lana looked like a very young, outgoing type. She had blond curly hair, and almost archetypical big blue eyes. It looked like the pair were slightly drunk, but there was nothing but a big pot of tea on the little table.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

When Galliban got to the door and saw the monk banging on the door and shouting, she assumed that Helen and Lana had been making noise for quite some time. It seemed a little inconsiderate in the middle of the night.

Galliban didn't say anything when Helen answered the door and received the brunt of the old man's lack of sleep. She watched the monk as he left and turned to Helen as she greeted her. Galliban nodded to her and let herself be led into the room to meet her mentor's lifelong friend. Galliban greeted her with a more formal nod.

"I do not mind it at all." Galliban replied to Lana's question, keeping her posture as straight as could be. She was finding the behavior of the pair a bit peculiar and thought that they may have been a little drunk. Even though Galliban herself hardly ever had a drink and had spent her life around people who did the same, the symptoms were known to her. Of course, they could simply be acting oddly due to factors such as fatigue and humor, which Galliban thought to be more likely since only a tea pot was present in the room. In any case, she made no mention of their behavior.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Lana's face lost some of its brightness. She was about to respond, when there was the noise of fighting coming from the garden. Lana and Helen both reached for their swords instantly, and ran off, leaving Galliban to decide for her own course.

She could hear the two yelling "Alarm" in the hallway, as well as the furious responses of friar Broderick. Nobody took the pair very serious, apparently.

OOC: If you choose to go to the gardens, you may post in the other thread again. You may assume to find Thean lying there on the ground, Barrett, Lana, Helen and one decapitated man. If not, you may continue to post in this thread.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Galliban, I skilled this thread as follows:

Meditation +*
Inner Calm (New Skill)
Manipulation of Energy: Faith (New Skill)
Pray +*

But one address for all your questions :wink:

Return to “Oracle's Isle archives (old)”