Starting a New Life - Delanedra (Samheen 22, late Tradetide)

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Twilight
Retired staff

Starting a New Life - Delanedra (Samheen 22, late Tradetide)

Post by Twilight »

With the exception of the few exclusive shops that skirt the edges of the Gardens, the Market District lies to the west of the River Cerl, joined to the upper city by three impressive bridges that span the river and separated from the seashore and the bustling docks by a number of warehouses. The district ranges from small workshops selling fabrics, leather goods, pottery and the like, to the open air market stalls at the heart of the district, where all manner of food stuffs can be found.

The buildings of brickwork generally house shop owners and their families on the stories above the street, with employees generally coming from homes in the Peasant District to the west and north. Shops are usually marked with a brightly painted sign; Adhiel always featuring more prominently than Human when text is included. The more prosperous shops, or those that hope to cater to a better class of clientele have painted plaster borders around doors and arched windows to decorate the otherwise plain brick exterior.

Even here, trees and other plant life abound, and the scent of tropical blooms mixes with the aroma of spices, roasting meat and fish, baking, and the less pleasant odours of the unwashed populace and horseflesh. Serfs, vassals of the Crown, work though to keep the cobbled streets clean and inoffensive to both eye and nose. There is a ceaseless cacophony during the daylight hours of the babble of business and the music of street performers, often punctuated by the calls of various tropical birds, and yet a few burns of respite can be found in a tavern or inn.

There is much to see here, although not all is pleasant. The ever-vigilant mounted City Guard, in their traditional dhotee of red linen, wrapped and tucked to form shorts, with black fabric criss-crossing their otherwise bare chests, and soft Adhiel half-boots on their feet, cannot completely rid Cerleann of crime. Still, or sometimes as a result, one can usually find what one seeks here.

The black-haired young woman found herself at the centre of the Merchants District, still bustling, even late in Tradetide. At this time of day, several street vendors were offering sweets or savouries to tempt an early appetite. Two such, who were obviously in competition, waved fresh, fruit-filled pastries beneath Delanedra’s nose.

“Mistress!” declared one enthusiastically, “the best in the city! Sweet citrus and papaya to ease a late Tradetide hunger,” the fellow described, as he held out a sample to tempt her.

“Citrus is nothing special!” retorted the woman. “I have black berry! Last of the season and worth savouring while you can, Mistress!” said the other, waving her own sample beneath the young woman’s nose.

The sweet, fruity aromas of the pastry wedges were divine by any measure.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

(avatar by Talon Yoseijo)
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Once she passed through the gates her eyes, green as emerald or fresh blown glass light up, just as a stain glass window would do were the sun in all its glory behind it. "Lovely." she said in the human tounge. Delanedra walked a little ways, looking at the various merchants, her pack and lyre strapped across her back.

The cool morning air blew with it the few loose strands of hair from a young Achadhiel.As the merchants called out to her she followed her nose, and stopped by female merchant's stand. "Any apple?" she asks in human, her wide green eyes are fixed on the different fruit pastries.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

The two vendors looked to one another in surprise, just as an ancient voice chuckled behind them.

“O’ course apple,” the old Human woman laughed, bringing forth a selection of well-stuffed wedges of flaky pastry in a shallow basket. “The young miss has a taste for the good ol’ apple, an’ rightly so!” she declared, as if this made Delanedra especially wise. The old woman held out the basket for the Achadhiel girl to make her choice, as the other two vendors turned their attentions toward new prospective customers.

“New to the city, are ye’, m’dear?” the wrinkled and tanned old woman asked, as she waited for Delanedra to make her selection. “Don’t recall yer face, an’ I know most here abouts,” she declared conversationally.

Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra nodded quite. "Yes." she says a bit surprised. "Was it that obvious, ma'm?" she quietly hand the woman three banners. "Here you go."

The Achadhiel takes a single pastry out of the basket. The apple pastry was pretty and smelled delicious or so Delanedra smiled as she took a small bite of it and looked beyond please. "This is wonderful." she took another bite, a larger one this time but still small enough that it would not inhibit speaking.

"I only arrived this morning." she tells the woman shifting her backpack and lute. "My name's Delanedra." the Achadhiel says conversationally.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

The old crone chuckled as she accepted payment for the pastry, slipping the coins into a hidden pocket within the folds of her pale pink cotton sari. The apple pastry, made by loving and skilful old hands, was indeed delicious and was flavoured with a hint of cinnamon and perhaps another spice or two.

“Namaste, Mistress Delanedra,” replied the old woman, setting her basket on her stall, where a wide variety of other baked goods were displayed. A young girl, perhaps a granddaughter, assisted other customers as the old woman spoke with the Achadhiel girl. “I am Laksha, and I have lived here all my life,” she declared with a toothy grin of pearly white teeth; nearly a complete set.

“What brings you to the capitol, young miss?” Laksha asked, nodding and waving to a couple of passers-by who called out in greeting to the old vendor. “Family hereabouts?”

Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra nodded to the woman, as she watched the other people shop for goods. "It is niced to meet you Laksha." she replied taking another bite of pastry. She smiled as tasted the various spices used to flavor the fruit pastry. "Family... no." she said simply. "I've only come to look at the world, see what was outside my own door."
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

The old woman chuckled good-naturedly, patting the young Achadhiel maiden on the arm.

“Well, the world you shall see in this city, young Mistress,” she replied. “But take care, Mistress Delanedra, for there be both kind and cruel, honest and deceitful in this world. A pretty young lass can n’er be too careful, you know,” Laksha advised. “I know of which I speak, m’dear, for I was once quite the looker in my youth.”

“She was too!” piped up a young voice proudly from behind the stall. “And I’m going to be as pretty as my Gran,” the dark-haired girl declared, before turning her attention back to serving another customer.

Again the woman chuckled, smiling indulgently at the girl.

“My youngest grandchild,” Laksha explained. “And best o’ the lot,” she declared as proudly as the child had spoken of her. The bond of familial affection was obviously strong between them.

“But have you a place to stay then, Mistress Delanedra?” the crone asked, turning her attention back to the young woman. “My son and his wife have an inn hereabouts called the Safe Haven. Decent place. Clean, and a good price too,” she added, nodding sagely.

Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra smiled at the girl. "I bet your Gran was." she added. Delanedra paused. "A place to stay no..." A smile exploded on her face as an in was mentioned. "Safe Haven..." she breathed as she commited the name to memory. "Thank you for, that bit of information." she says passing the woman a small bit of coin in exchange.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

“Well, thank you, Mistress Delanedra,” the old woman replied, accepting the coin and deftly tucking it away. “May the Mother bless your time in the city.”

The crone then gave the young woman directions to the Inn, which was not far from where they now stood. A brief walk two blocks toward the ocean and one to the west would lead her to the inn door.

Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra smiled. "My thanks." she said as the clean Kisovalanian air whipped against her. She closed her eyes and took in the smell of the sea. "I hope so." she murmured as she headed towards the Inn. She peeked around at the girl and smiled and then turned to the old woman. "I think I'll stop by every once in a while." she said before heading towards the Inn.

It was a long walk, the two blocks to the inn. She took in the sights and sounds, and even the smells of the City.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

The little girl smiled and waved, and her grandmother bade Delanedra return as often as she wished. Then their attention was swiftly claimed by potential customers, even as other venders attempted to draw the Achadhiel maiden to their stalls and shops.

Birdsong blended with the music of street entertainers playing such instruments as flutes, pan pipes and hand drums. On one corner there stood a small puppet theatre and an amusing puppet play was well underway, drawing in a large crowd of children and not a few adults. Trees grew in almost every conceivable space that was not required for foot or cart traffic, casting welcome shade upon the streets and buildings alike.

Some of the red and beige brick building had painted plaster facades, but this was mainly limited to accenting around the arched window-wells and doorways. It was a pleasant stroll along the streets, as the business of Tradetide slowly wound down for another day, and it was not difficult for Delanedra to locate the Safe Haven.

This unassuming brick establishment was marked by a wooden sign with the name painted in Adhiel and then again in Human, although many of its patrons would find either a challenge to read. A plain wooden door with a small window on either side, as well as several more on the floor above, were all that met the visitor’s eye from the outside.

The inn offers the local peasantry a place to gossip and relax in the taproom amongst their own, and travelers of modest means a reasonably safe bed for the night. The clean, simple inn is run by a no-nonsense Achadhiel matron and her Human husband, although it is Maina who is considered the proprietor by the authorities, who consider her husband, Vince, a mere employee. Rumour has it amongst the peasantry that one can make connections to both the Brotherhood and various nefarious seafaring types through the Sure Haven. Such gossip has never been substantiated though.

The taproom opened onto a central atrium garden, with the bar and the kitchen and alley access beyond. Natural light flooded the atrium and the room that occupied three of its sides, even in late Tradetide, and simple but clean tables and chairs beckoned to patrons in both spaces, many of which were already occupied with visitors and locals alike. Candles and a few small lamps stood ready to take up the task of illumination after dark, when the place would take on a distinctly intimate atmosphere, more conducive to private or even secretive conversations.

A flight of stairs across the right-hand wall of the taproom led to the balcony that overlooks the little central garden on all four sides. From the balcony at the front and rear, doors open into the small guestrooms of the upper floor.

“Namaste,” the barman called from behind the bar. He was a well-tanned, middle-aged man, of average height and build, with salt and pepper hair and hazel eyes. “What’ll it be, Mistress?”

((OOC: Oh! Long postie. Sorry. :oops: ))

Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

The inn offers the local peasantry a place to gossip and relax in the taproom amongst their own, and travelers of modest means a reasonably safe bed for the night. The clean, simple inn is run by a no-nonsense Achadhiel matron and her Human husband, although it is Maina who is considered the proprietor by the authorities, who consider her husband, Vince, a mere employee. Rumour has it amongst the peasantry that one can make connections to both the Brotherhood and various nefarious seafaring types through the Sure Haven. Such gossip has never been substantiated though.

The taproom opened onto a central atrium garden, with the bar and the kitchen and alley access beyond. Natural light flooded the atrium and the room that occupied three of its sides, even in late Tradetide, and simple but clean tables and chairs beckoned to patrons in both spaces, many of which were already occupied with visitors and locals alike. Candles and a few small lamps stood ready to take up the task of illumination after dark, when the place would take on a distinctly intimate atmosphere, more conducive to private or even secretive conversations.

A flight of stairs across the right-hand wall of the taproom led to the balcony that overlooks the little central garden on all four sides. From the balcony at the front and rear, doors open into the small guestrooms of the upper floor.

“Namaste,” the barman called from behind the bar. He was a well-tanned, middle-aged man, of average height and build, with salt and pepper hair and hazel eyes. “What’ll it be, Mistress?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standing beside the bar, and turning her head slightly to appraise the barman- though her green eyes weren't critical of the man, her eyes are appraising of the place. "Well, I was planning to get a room." she murmurs in a lowered tone hoping that no one would think a woman- an achadhiel at that -traveling alone was strange. In another louder voice she said "What sort of drinks do you have?"
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

“Ah yes, young Mistress,” replied the man, grinning his understanding as he motioned her to step up to the bar where they could speak privately. “We have a room in the corner up front there,” he explained, his eyes flashing up to the corner to which he referred. The door to the room was almost exactly opposite the top of the stairs, on the far side of the balcony, and was almost obscured from view by the banister, which seemed to be made from vigorously growning ivy vines. The barman then listed the drinks available in a more clearly audible tone, before adding in a quieter voice once again, “I can have my wife, Maina, show you the room, if you’d like, Mistress.”

Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra noded. "That will work out..." she says looking more at the surrounding area than at the room. She nodded. "Please do." she shifted her bag and her lute, then ordered a small drink. She looked at the room curiously though. "Vines, almost as if the room itself was attempting to hide." she mused.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

The barman smiled and poured Delanedra a beverage. Placing the glass on the bar, the man smiled and then went off to the kitchen, presumably to call for his wife. The drink had a rum base and was cool, refreshing, and fruity.

Around the young Achadhiel, the buzz of general conversation continued uninterrupted, and punctuated from time to time by good-natured laughter. Now that Delanedra had a burn or two to look around, she could see a couple of brightly coloured parrots in the atrium, sitting on a strong branch, woven into the general foliage to appear as if it was growing there. One had bright red cheek feathers, while the other’s were green; otherwise they seemed an identical pair. A young Human man was offering them bits of dry flatbread, trying to tempt one of them onto his arm. His companion, an Achadhiel man seemed quite amused by his companion’s lack of success.

The Barman soon returned, preceded from the kitchen by an apron-clad Achadhiel woman, dressed in a simple cotton dress of western style that covered a slim but sturdy frame. She had a mass of long, curly chestnut hair that she wore wound into a great bun at the nape of her neck, and she wore a warm, welcoming smile that lit her slightly almond-shaped hazel eyes.

“Welcome to the Sure Haven, young Mistress,” the hostess greeted Delanedra cheerfully. “I am Maina, and that charming fellow there,” she gestured to her husband, who was once again at his post behind the bar, “is Vince. May I show you to your room now?”

Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

A warm smile issued from the Achadhiel woman. "I'm Delanedra." she said warmly. "Please." she said in answer to the questions.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

Maina smiled and produced a ring of keys from a pocket of her dress as she led Delanedra up the staircase.

“Breakfast is included with a night’s lodgings, of course,” the woman explained, sounding as though she was speaking by rote, which she was. “Baths are extra, but we have a goodly-sized tub and plenty of hot water, with enough notice. Got a nice lavender and hibiscus soap too, for just a little more,” she added with a wink, sure that such a luxury would tempt any young lady.

Removing one key from the ring, the Innkeeper unlocked the door and swung it open wide for the young woman to enter first. A sturdy bed, almost wide enough to comfortably accommodate two people stood to the right of the door, with a small table just inside the door and a chest at the foot of the bed. The bed was covered with a bright red and yellow cotton spread, with clean white cotton sheets and two small pillows.

Upon the wall above the head of the bed, hung a candle holder, supporting a pair of tallow candles, which would provide the room with its only source of light at night. On the far wall was one arched-top window, veiled with thin cotton curtains of bright yellow. A red cord hung on either side of the window to allow for the curtains to be tied back on either side.

At the flicker, the room was moderately lit by sunlight, but cool enough to be comfortable, thanks to the drawn curtains. It appeared clean, if somewhat sparsely furnished, and the faint scent of lemon hung in the air.

“If you’re content, Mistress, I can give you this key right now,” the woman said, a note of pride in her voice.

Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra's eyes took in the whole room. The sturdy bed, almost wide enough to comfortably accommodate two people stood to the right of the door, with a small table just inside the door and a chest at the foot of the bed. The bed was covered with a bright red and yellow cotton spread, with clean white cotton sheets and two small pillows.

Upon the wall above the head of the bed, hung a candle holder, supporting a pair of tallow candles, which would provide the room with its only source of light at night. On the far wall was one arched-top window, veiled with thin cotton curtains of bright yellow.

"Its... I'm more than content." she said her excitment flowing in her voice. She took a few steps into the room and turned around in the open spaces, and examine every nook and cranny like a child would. "It's wonderful, I'll take it... and a bath." she smiled. "Since you did tempt me, mo-" she started to say Mother, but she quickly saved herself, "ma'm." she stopped and looked back at the Adhiel woman, who in her opinion looked a good deal like her mother.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

“Very good, Mistress,” replied Maina, grinning broadly with pleasure at Delanedra’s apparent approval, as she handed over the iron key. The lock could be set from either side and appeared reasonably stout.

“Did you wish the bath now then, or this Eventide before bed?” she asked, stepping back through the door and out onto the balcony. The woman did not appear to notice the young Achadhiel woman's slip of the tongue.

Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra had to consider it. "Later, before Eventide." she said still letting her eyes wander around room. I hope she didn't notice. The Achadhiel woman thought to herself. She tried to hide an embaressed blush as she took the key. "My thanks."
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

The Innkeeper smiled warmly and nodded. “I shall leave you to settle in then, she replied, as the soft sounds of a pan flute floated up to the second storey from the open barroom below. “Do just let Vince or me know if you need anything.”

With that, the woman bustled off along the balcony, leaving Delanedra to the solitude of her tidy little bed chamber.

Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra nodded. She sank down on the bed and removes the ribbon from her hair. She removed her traveling pack and quietly looked the simple room over. She stodd up and set her lute over in a small corner of the room, only to return to it a few moments later. She picked it up and turned it over in her hands. <i>Chiara...</i> she thought, quicly running her fingers over the strings, unconsiously playing a melody. The door to her room was pretty much wide open, so the music drifted out. Her fingers walked over the strings as she recalled her mentor. Her mind drifted, and without realizing it she began to sing.

"When the Faith and seal are broken
Broken like a crystal shard
The Maiden will awaken
Coming from a strange, forgotten world

The Maiden's Sword in rock and stone
Choose a wielder all your own
Be she brave, and true and kind
Seek your wielder's heart, in thine

On her forehead; the mark of a Maiden
Time shall pass with lessons learned,
But in her heart she shall learn
That love can break the bonds of time

Dragons Watch and Dragons Wait
Help the Maiden except her Fate
Shift her form, unite the lost,
Time and Trust
Shall ease her heart's great loss

Maiden heart with love pure and strong
Break the evil Goddess's Thrall
On Kingdoms'long forgotten Thrones

Peace shall be her want
In her shall all Hope lie
Love of Warrior Revealing
Revealing the Maiden's Gifts on high

The Day shall come when a choice
Is made, will she stay or will she go
Either Choice will bring great woe

Daughter of the Maiden
Sunrise to all
Moonset to none,
Ever lasting peace…

She continued to play for a while longer loosing herself in the music as she was prone to do. Her fingers moved across the strings, for a little while longer, still deeply lost in thought. She smiled, and carefully setting the lute aside to finish unpacking her things. She glanced around room once more, <i> I'm going to like it here.</i> she told herself. She headed towards the door.

((OOC:The song above is mine. :) All original))
Last edited by Delanedra on Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

The beauty of Delanedra’s song drifted out through the open door of her chamber with each note, gently falling down into the atrium. At first, the melody was greeted with a hush from below, as the patrons gradually began to turn their ears to hear the words that sprang from her heart and lips. But then the voice of a flute entwined with lute and word, softly weaving a descant to the Achadhiel woman’s melody.

As the last notes of the song faded, there was an awed pause, and then the patrons below in the barroom burst into appreciative applause. The unique acoustics of the atrium did not carry voices up from below, and the applause was merely background sound, not likely to break through Delanedra’s deep thoughts. Yet, as she stepped out onto the balcony, the young woman would hear the last of the patrons’ appreciation far more clearly.

Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Stepping outside- the applause of the patrons below gave the Achadriel a start. She took a step back but then nodded and proceeded foreward. <i>Nothing wrong with a little praise,</i> she beamed a little bit more towards the crowds, <i>Just as long as it doesn't got to my head.</i> She walked down the steps slowly. She took in the subtle details of the room,now- the way it was formed the walls and wood grain, the tables, the chairs, the chair's occupants.

She nearly bolted back up the steps as she reached the bottom to retrieve the lute, but she didn't. She walked towards the bar, and then stopped. Her green eyes focused on the door. She rubbed her slender hands together trying to make a descesion. She smiled at the patrons, they had seemed to love her performance.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

Warm green eyes watched Delanedra’s descent. As the young woman gazed at the door, someone stood and approached her, a flute in hand. Despite ageless, almost effeminate facial features, a testament to Adhiel blood somewhere in his parentage, he was certainly male and held a natural allure. With long, wavy, honey-brown hair, and a fit, almost wiry physique, he was perhaps more beautiful than handsome, and he appeared to catch the interest of patrons of both sexes, as he crossed the room.

“Might you be our songbird, Mistress…?” the man asked with a captivating smile, as he reached Delanedra’s side, letting the last of his sentence fall off in an invitation to the young woman to provide her name.

Return to “Kislovan Archive”