Familiar, Unfamiliar - Alustariel [Samheen 23rd] Early MT.

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Familiar, Unfamiliar - Alustariel [Samheen 23rd] Early MT.

Post by Alustariel Urdil »

Alustariel's eyes opened. She was on her back and her head and back ached slightly. She remembered stepping through the portal and arriving in a place she did not recognise, yet was this a place in Kislovan. Had the Registrar set the portal right?. When she had arrived she could not see Ashtallion anywhere, and was not sure if he had yet stepped through the portal behind her. Scared and unsure, and uneasy from the strange passage, Alustariel had collapsed in a state of fatigue and relief that she had escaped the Citadel.

Only now she awoke. Alu sat up, she had no idea how long she had slept. But she wished that her pleasant dreams had lasted longer.

Alu had dreamt of the Mountain at the center of Kislovan. She was walking its mighty side hand in hand with Ashtallion. They were smiling and the sun shone on them. Alu had danced and laughed....and then woke up.

"Asht?" she called shakily.

She hoped some reply would return to her ears. Alone and afraid, she wraped her arms around herself. I feel....weak she thought ....perhaps thats the way you feel after your first portal venture.
[i]Abara kadabara, alakazaaaaam![/i]
Posting on Tuesdays and Thursdays
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

The enclave of the Kislovan Adhiels’ beloved deity is surrounded by a tall, lush, dense hedge that serves as a living wall. An arch and double gate of wood seem to be growing right out of the trees that form the supports at either side. Only in times of trouble are these gates closed. At all other times, they are swung wide open to welcome all who seek the goddess and the wise council of her priests.

Within are three flourishing gardens, separated by shell-covered paths. The air here is fresh, with the soft fragrance of the abundant blooms and soothing with scent of herbs. The atmosphere is tranquil and contemplative, but welcoming. Bird song is the music here.

Each of the three garden features an altar, dedicated to an aspect of K’tan. To the east is the alter to the Maiden Warrior, an image of the armed and armoured goddess holding back the sea carved lovingly into the wooden pillar altar, formed from huge tree stump. To one side of this, in a little alcove created by bowing Yews, stands the shrine to Madeliefje, featuring a bronze scupture of the Bard, with Daisies and Forget-me-nots growing at her feet. Directly ahead is the altar to the Mother, a topiary trained into the shape of a woman tending the garden that grew around it, with a concave-surfaced offering stone at her feet. To the west is the altar of the Matron, with a large up-ended stone, its jagged top resembling the peaks of a mountain, and a small tree stump forming a low altar before it.

Either of the paths, beyond these three garden rooms, leads to the temple at the heart of the enclave. The open air temple is circular, approximately a dozen paces in diameter, with columns of plastered and painted brick supporting a domed roof. The columns are painted to appear as a continuation of the garden landscape, and the domed roof resembles a myriad of leaves.

The temple is flanked and backed by the living quarters, and meeting and study rooms of the priest of K’tan, in a u-shaped configuration. Although there is a small guest dormitory, only students and clerics have access to the meeting and study rooms, expect by permission. Only clerics have access to their living quarters. This u-shaped structure is of the usual brick construction, with a tiled roof, but vegetation provides its decoration, rather than plaster and paint.

It was in the vegetation near the circular temple that Alustariel awoke as the sun began to warm the eastern horizon. Not far away, the Adhiel could make out the outline of a prone figure, also partially hidden within the lush bushes that grew with such vigour within the Enclave.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

(avatar by Talon Yoseijo)
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

As the sight came to her eyes, Alustariel felt inner contenment. How can Adhiel choose to live elsewhere when there is this awaiting them came the involuntary thought Because love for another often overrides instinct she answered her own thoughts.

Alustariel got to her feet.

"Ugh"

She grunted out loud, it was only know that she realized just how much she ached. Her head felt like it was pulsating under the effects of a grand migraine.

But almost as soon as she realised it, the smell of the garden wafted over her senses and eased her discomfort. The Dawn light slipped through and shone upon Alu's face, she sheltered her face with her hand and looked over towards the revealing sun.

Where is he? Doubts started to flow around her head. What if the portal had sent them somewhere different, what if it had sent them to two seperate places, what if Asht had been captured before he had come through.....what if Asht chose to stay behind. SHUT UP Alu roared inwardly and silently. She breathed slightly, her anxiety mounting.

It was then that she saw the prone figure, obscured by the growth.

"Asht - Is that you?, Dont play games!"
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

Ashtallion rose, his legs threatening to give way at any moment. He moaned loudly, the pain in his head thundering against his skull, beating relentlessly. " I'm here Alu....though maybe not in one piece. ", he staggered towards his sister, offering a reassuring smile, " I'm here. ", he said once more in a lower voice, comforting and soothing. " A pleasent trip all round then. ", the sarcasm was not to be lost.

To get his bearings, Asht surveyed the Enclave to K'tan, musing on the indivdual statues and gardens. " So, Kislovan.... ", though he looked at the gardens and the Warrior aspect of the Goddess, his mind may as well have been wandering with the stars. " Are you well enough Alu? I think we should start out of here before we are spotted by too many people, and find a place to stay for now... ", he placed his hand on the hilt of the Pelegrim, for his own reassurance.

Desite the enclave being a thoroughly enchanting place, the battlemage did not want to linger too long in its confines, however welcoming it seemed. Such beauty would have once stole his heart and he would have answered its captivating call. But horrors and darkness have a way of hardening even the warmest hearts. Sighing, he glanced once more to Alu, " Shall we venture out my Silver Sister? "
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

The clouds that had rolled in during the night defused the first light of day. The pair had arrived during the night; during the vigil for the Caesar, and yet they had managed to go unnoticed thus far. It seemed that the ‘unofficial’ use of the portal, which had been much active in the past marks with mourners returning to the Citadel, had actually opened outward, rather than into the temple as it usually did. It had covered their arrival, as they had collapsed immediately into the shrubbery.

Now though, there was little opportunity for them to move far, as the enclave suddenly sprang into activity. From their concealing vegetation, the pair could see the Purple Guard, standing as an Honour Guard around the altar, upon which lay the body of the Caesar. They were now joined by an Adhiel woman of great presence, followed by four more women bearing torches, all with hair unbound and wearing white saree. A half dozen young men, clad only in simple white dhotee, then moved to place the linen-wrapped figure upon a wooden litter, and hoisted it up onto their shoulders. The Honour Guard situated themselves around the bearers, and then began a sombre procession toward the gates of the enclave.

Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Alu could barely contain her relief, she threw her arms around her brother and sobbed silently. "I am so anxious these days, It simply will not do!". She breathed deeply and looked Asht in the eye "Aye my Golden Brother" she joked "The world is our oyster now and we are free". Alu stopped short and almost choked on her words. For behind her she could see the entourage....with an all too familiar body carried in their midst.

"Oh...." Alu whispered hoarsley though calmly "Looks like we're not out of the frying pan yet Asht" she said pointing towards the procession. "Look" she motioned towards the short elderly adhiel "Altaroien Calmeann... Queen of Kislovan." Alu remarked at how sombre the Queen looked, very little difference from what she recalled when Alu and Asht were last in Kislovan.

Hopefully, there would be no trouble in Kislovan. The people following with the Caesar were close compatriots to him and were unlikely to have any ill will towards Asht. Alustariel's fear was still that the Coven or some such entity was behind the dark events of late.

"I suppose we'd better slip out quietly?" Alu suggested softly to her brother, "somewhere where we can plan our next move"
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:35 am, edited 6 times in total.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

" Indeed I concur, Alu. ", his eyes, as he spoke, remained on the procession. He had not expected to arrive at this precise moment, the funeral procession of the Caesar, the adhiel whom until recently had been Lord of the Seven Isles, and in some small way Ashtallion could not help but feel he was responsible for the legendary figures' death. Turning his golden hued eyes from the sight, holding back the thundering emotions that burned in him, the strongest of which was unbridled rage.

Rage.

At being used like some paltry instrument and tool. He was no ones 'Tool'. A mage of some skill and an intelligent person, Ashtallion made a silent vow to find out who it was that had used him, but for now he prayed to the Gods that he would be left alone to pursue what he needed first of all before returning to the Seven Isles.

Power.

Sighing, allowing his control to sooth the thoughts running through his head unchecked, Ashtallion spoke, " Come, we should find a way around the procession, and remain out of sight, I wouldn't want to risk any noticing us least they bomdard us with questions! ", he remained still for a moment longer though, " Or do we wait for them to pass...? ", or should he try a spell. Not something he wished to try within the Temple Grounds, besides, what spell did he know that would conceal them?
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Alu placed a hand on her brothers back and rubbed gently as he sighed. She could not fathom the deepness of his thoughts - but she had a good idea what he was thinking as he watched the procession. Asht was the unwitting scapegoat, in the wrong place at the wrong time. Vengeance would be had....but how do you exact revenge on a phantom?.

" Or do we wait for them to pass...? "

"Please dear brother, I do not wish to delay my bath and massuese longer than I need to" she laughed in her quiet and fey chuckle.

"Relax. We'll be fine" Alu winked at her brother and tugged her cloak's hood over her silver hair. "They're pre-occupied, so they may not notice, but in any event lets be discreet".

"Come on" she whispered to Asht "Theres got to be another exit"

Alu stepped out of the shrubbage and walked rather innocently and keeping her distance from the procession. She kept close to the shrubs. As she moved she made small reverent signs to the Mother. She was acting like a pilgrim. Her eyes darted everywhere, calmly searching for somewhere where they could leave in a hurry and not be afraid of trailing or running into the procession.
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

The entire enclave boasted lush vegetation, and the temple beside where the pair hid stood at its heart. The open air temple was circular, approximately a dozen paces in diameter, with columns of plastered and painted brick supporting a domed roof. The columns were painted to appear as a continuation of the garden landscape, and, even in the first light of day, the domed roof resembled a myriad of leaves.

From this central point, three paths of crushed shells, dimly lit by tiny lanterns, each led to a separate flourishing garden room to the south. Behind the temple, in a u-shaped building, were the teaching and living quarters, which showed the occasional window lit from within. Because of the abundant plant life, neither brother nor sister could see the outer walls of the enclosure, and, so far, no-one was appearing to have seen them.

Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

He followed his sister, silently. Eyes darting to any shadow or leaf that moved, every rustle seeming to startle him. Yet Asht did not allow this to deter him. Why would anyone find them suspicious, two Adhiel here to pay respects to the Leader of the Seven Isles.... he stood with Alu, watching the surrounding area. " Looks like we have the all clear, Alu. ", his golden eyes wandered once more to the paths, " Perhaps one of these will lead us from the Temple grounds.... I wonder if there is a Place of Sorcery here in Kislovan, my memory does not stretch so far back as to recall one being here on our last visit to the Great Homeland. "
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Alu removed her hood as she stood in the open space. She was not as worried now - the tranquility here seemed to make fears seem distant, and she doubted they would meet too much resistance here.

"Yes" she replied to Asht's question of sorcerous institutions "I would like to see if one does exist, for my training has only begun".

Alu moved to the cracked-shells and looked to the south "Your probably right, I'm guessing these might lead outside" she gazed back at her brohter "But even if its not, I'm not upset and walking leisurely through this hallowed place"

She stretched out a single index finger which bore her simple gold ring and went from left to right and begun to chant in a sing-song voice.

"Beenie, Squiney, Hiney, Ho, Catch a Satyr by the toe, if he squeals, let him go, Beenie, Squiney, Hiney, Ho" her finger rested on the left path. "Shall we?"
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion nodded in response, " One seems to be as good as the other, Sister... ", he looked behind him, " For some reason though I have a desire to stay and watch the remainder of the procession, after all I caused the Ceasar.... ", stopping, Asht shook his head, " No, I caused nothing. The furture is ahead, not behind. ", he smiled to Alu, and started down the left Path.

" I wonder if it would have been prudent to ask for directions first, we know not where this path leads, and I doubt we would have drawn too much attention to ourselves. ", the rustle of his robes about his feet whispered softly as booted feet thudded on the path of crushed shells.
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Alustariel turned and glared at her brother. Her eerie blue eyes seemed burning with indignation, yet the voice she spoke with was controlled, yet stern.

"You caused the Caesar nothing!" she whispered "There is no way you could have caused what befell the man. The Caesar had many enemies, and you were not one of them"

"One day we will return, and we will be more powerfull than before, and we shall extract payment from those who intended to burden you with a crime that was not yours....even though" she paused and her vigour seemed to have run out "Even though we have no idea who they are".

"If not for that reason, we shall return for Rilintar and Elamshin, our beloved parentals. The Citadel will darken, you yourself have encountered Demons....beneath the very University of Magick - which I might add, is supposed to be impregnable - and with the Caesar dead....the Parliment will fight over the throne, and by many rumours that body is rotten with the Agents of the Coven"

Alustariel sighed "By the Mother I wish I could silence myself sometimes" her look softened towards her brother.

"I know I do this often, but forgive me Asht, when I dwell on thoughts, It is hard to keep them silent from you, you who I trust and love more than any other".

"I dream of greatness, where we shall return to the Citadel as imposing figures of the Weave, and then we shall take our vengeance".

"But for now we must walk, perhaps we should ask for directions, as you can see - it is perhaps time for me to rest awhile".

Alustariel craned her next to look around them for a wandering priest or supplicant, she also had no idea where this temple stood on the face of Kislovan, were they in Cerleann, or in some provincial area?
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

The path, dimly lit by the first weak beams of early morning light, led to a glade in the garden, in the centre of which stood the alter to the Maiden Warrior. An image of the armed and armoured goddess holding back the sea was carved lovingly into the wooden pillar altar, formed from huge tree stump. Around its base sat tiny garden lanterns, nearly burned down to their last.

To one side, in a separately lit little alcove created by bowing Yews, stood the shrine to Madeliefje, the lost love of Anochrim. It featured a bronze sculpture of the Bard, with Daisies and Forget-me-nots growing at her feet. It was fitting somehow, that the pair would find themselves here, as Alustariel spoke of greatness.

The garden-room appeared empty, but a softly whispered chant suggested that they were not entirely alone.

Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

His back straightened as the sound of the soft chant reached his ears, one hand hovering over the hilt of the Pelegrim. A stupid move and notion....they were in Kislovan! They were Adhiel! Nothing would harm them whilst they were in their Homeland. " Come, Sister, I think it might be best that we make our presence known to the source of that Chant, he or she may be able to help us. Hopefully. "

Starting off in the direction from which the sound came from, Ashtallion uttered softly so as not to alarm the chanter. " Excuse me, I mean not to intrude...my sister and I are lost, could you per chance help us? "
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

((OOC: Was going to wait for Alu, but we might as well move on.))

A little figure knelt near the shrine to the Bard, head bowed in prayer, as it chanted quietly an entreaty for Anochrim to be reunited with Madeliefje in death. In the early morning light, it was difficult to determine the small figure’s gender. Long silvery hair gave no clue, but, as the figure rose at the sound of Ashtalion’s voice, the white sari of mourning revealed this to be a small woman.

“Oh,” a youthful female voice replied in surprise. A saline breeze played with strands of her long silver-blond hair, and she absentmindedly brushed them from her face with long, elegant, but slightly trembling fingers. “Well, this is the shrine to Madeliefje, beloved of Anochrim. He was my… cousin,” she explained, misunderstanding Ashtalion’s meaning. Her words were clear enough, and yet it seemed that she had exchanged her final word for another, left unspoken.

Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Alu watched the timid little woman who was trembelling slightly beneath the shrine of Madeliefje.

"Calm yourself child" Alu said with a touch of a smile "Though you speak of the Caesar? Are you in mourning?" Her soft words she filled with as much care as she could.

"My brother and I are lost here in this Temple, and we wish to find our way out and on the Cerleann" Alu moved closer to the girl.

"My name is Lustra Silverhair, and this is my brother...." Alu lied sweetly, still wishing to keep her name secret in these lands. She coughed quietly in Ashtallions direction begging him to do the same.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

Trying to surreptitiously wipe away a tear, the woman nodded in response to Alu’s question. “I mourn, indeed,” she replied, barely above a whisper. Her grief, however, seemed far more personal than that of a subject mourning the passing of a ruler.

“Oh, yes, well these gardens are quite large, are they not?” she replied, her tone one of shared experience. “Especially in this half-light. The paths all appear the same.”

“Pleased to meet you, Lustra,” the woman answered Alu’s introduction politely. “I am Idris Kisl… Kisidh,” the young woman quickly amended her family name. It seemed that the twins were not the only ones to wish their true identity to remain hidden, although the woman was obviously not adept at such subterfuge.

Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion's eyes widened somewhat, yet he regained his own control, glittering golden eyes watching the comely woman intently. Cousin? Best I keep my part in his death secret, of course you idiot, as if the Ahdiel here would take kindly to my being a part of his death!, he offered a warm and perfectly genuine smile, " I know of your grief, Sister kin, I have felt the same though the time for my tears has not yet come. They are for a later date. It is an honour and pleasure. ", he bowed his head slightly.

He glanced to Alu, Aptly named!

" Lustros Goldeneye, my Lady Idris, at your service. And as my sister here has stated, we are somewhat lost in the Gardens, this being our first visit....in some time. Could you possible direct on which path to take? "

Would she believe them? Why not? It was not as if she would have reason to doubt them.
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Lustra looked to Lustros, Alu was quite impressed that quick wits were bred in the Urdil family.

Well done Ashtallion, Lustra Silverhair and Lustros Goldeneye, so we shall be for a time unless we meet close friends. Alu thought

A kind smile played onto Alu's lips as she looked once more to Idris. Something wasnt right in her tone - she had appropriated her surname - but seeing as Alu and Asht were playing at the same game - it would be highly hipocritical to point her out. Instead, it seemed all three Adhiel standing in the grove were content to play this little game of white lies and still be comfortable with each other.

"Perchance you would walk with as a while, Idris, for we know little of where the nearest city is - and whether or not we will find there what we are searching for" the woman posing as Lustra said - in Lustra's deep alluring voice, not unlike Alustariel's
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

Idris smiled at Ashtalion and replied, “Pleased to meet you as well, Lustros. How well-named the two of you are,” she commented appreciatively, apparently sensing nothing amiss. Then her own dissembling made her cast her eyes to the ground for a flicker or two, as she fidgeted absentmindedly with her hands.

At Alustariel’s offer to accompany them, the young woman looked up, smiling once more, and replied, “I should be joining the procession eventually, I suppose, so I can walk with you to the Gardens.”

The Gardens was the upper class district of Cerleann. This district, along with the Great Palace and the Enclave of K’Tan, comprised the city on the east bank of the River Cerl. The actual Gardens were a park-like area, flanked by upscale businesses, with homes beyond. These all lay within the protection of the castles fortified outer walls.

“The gates are this way,” Idris explained, gesturing to the south, as she began to lead them to a path away from the shrine to Andolin’s beloved. “All Cerleann’s in mourning, of course, so everything will seem rather strange to anyone who is not familiar with the city,” the little silver-haired woman commented, seeming a little puzzled by Alustariel’s words. “But it is said that ‘you can find anything you seek in Cerleann’,” she added, quoting the old cliché.

Alustariel Urdil
Civus

"You must forgive us, Idris" Lustra smiled broadly "We must seem somewhat outlandish, Lustros and are not used to many ventures - the catch-phrases of Cerleann are not known to us" Lustra cooed.

"Our last visit was brief, and we did not even see the spleandours of the capital - but now we may be here awhile, and above most things we would be looking for a residence and somewhere in which we could further our studies in magick or a tutor who would help us so"

Or at least me... Alu thought glancing an admiring look to Ashtallion.

Real estate was not something she had discussed with Ashtallion, but Alu thought it would be preferrable to have a place where they could talk openly and make their plans - without prying ears or the fear of intrusion. At least somewhere they might be able to rent.
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

In the half-light of early dawn, Idris’ eyes gleamed pearly grey as she looked up into Alu’s face at the mention of studies. Having spent most of her sheltered life in pursuit of knowledge from her books and various tutors, the young woman was immediately intrigued to find herself in the company of like-minded folk.

“Well, I don’t imagine that finding a place to live would be a problem,” Idris replied, dismissing this concern with a wave of her hand. Never having had such concerns, she had little concept of the possible difficulties others might face. “But I know many scholars in the city! I’m sure I could help you find a mage to study with!” the little lady declared with conviction, smiling despite the sadness in her eyes.

“And I am sure you will come to love Cerleann as I do,” she added, turning to include Ashtallion in her comment with a glance, as they emerged at an intersection in the winding, shell-covered path. Now, the broad gates of the enclave were visible to their left, and Idris instinctively turned without thought toward them.

The gates, formed of woven bows and vines, stood open, as they commonly did, as if beckoning visitors inside. Beyond the gates, the cobbled street wandered down a gentle slope, entered the city through a lacquered gate, and disappeared from sight among buildings.

Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Alustariel clasped her hands together with a quiet clap.

"Well, Milady Idris, you have proved most helpfull - and may be so to us still if you know of a good tutor" Alustariel smiled.

Lustra is pompous indeed, and she smiles too much, Alu thought, I am going to love playing her

"Lustros" Alustariel looked to Ashtallion "Perhaps we should set down to business, I can wait for a good massage and pampering once we are comfortable and set up in Cerleann"

"Why dont you find a good inn....Idris do you know any?" Alu's flashing smile leapt onto Idris again "I will search for our home, I may not have enough to purchase - but I'll see what I can rent. Perchance you could look for our new tutor based on Idris' suggestions. When all is said and done, dear brother, we will meet back at the Inn"

Alustariel looked back to Ashtallion "Do you think so, dear Lustros? If you want to stay with me, I'm sure I would value your input in house-hunting - it is up to you"
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

He looked to the Lady Idris, and then to his sister. " Hmm, I shall look for a tutor, best that we find both accomodation and a mentor a soon as possible. ", his own golden blue eyes gleamed with an inner hunger, a furious fire wanting to consume. " Besides, it will allow you two ladies to become more aquainted. ", Ashtallion lowered his head slightly to Idris, " You're help is greatly welcomed Lady Idris, coming to Kislovan, while exciting, has also proved somewhat vexing, so to find a friendly face upon arrival.....well it helps. "

He looked down the path, " Any scholar or mage you could introduce me to, Lady Idris, would help....I'm not sure as to the forms of sorcery studied and taught here. ", he paused for a moment then regarded the Lady once more, " Do you know if Battle Magery is taught in Kislovan? It is what we both studied at our previous magical institution. "

Return to “Kislovan Archive”