From Far They Came [Entrance Thread]

Moderators: Vanadius, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

The soldier waited with reasonable patience for Zander to complete his scribbled note, and then eyed it slowly, and mouthed to himself, "...Wolds.... Moth...?" He glanced to the side at his female companion briefly and then eyed the young man suspiciously for a moment, "Cat got your tongue, kiddo? Or just choked up with the excitement of your new home...?" He spoke with a little sarcasm for the last part - gesturing at the basic huts, the half-built fortifications, the churned up mud from passing travellers - Pax was certainly not luxury. It barely ranked as a town at all. He might have continued in this patronising tone if the woman he'd addressed as Mirya had not intervened smoothly and without appearing to notice she'd interrupted at all.

"You alright, sweety? Ignore him - he's got his records now, and he's just grouchy 'cause I won't let him get at my apples..." She gave Zander a small wink and rested a hand on his shoulder encouragingly, turning him to lead him into the small, growing village.

"Hey, hold on a second! I'm not finished with him yet! Here..." The soldier virtually leapt to his feet and shoved a piece of paper entitling Zander to his own plot of land into the young man's hands, before turning to his lady friend, apparently not keen to let her wander off just yet. "Uhh... Mirya... you're... uhh... off into the village...? Uhm. Coming back this way...?"

She laughed at his rather pathetic display, and touched him lightly and flirtatiously on the nose. "Later, soldierboy." And then she turned and looked up to Zander with a smile, "Coming? I can show you round if you like. Or - just walk you to your new home...? I know the way, and I'd hate to see you all wandering around alone..."

OOC: And with that, you're into Pax! You're welcome to talk to Mirya some more if you like, or just take your leave of her and go where you will... Have fun! - Finn
Winn

Post by Winn »

Things had gone badly aboard the Opportunity. The meddlesome halfling, the crazy gnome, the even crazier "captain." Winn could not decide which had been the worse: serving as crew upon a vessel suddenly gone pirate or the firey death rained down by Master Ebinisto's unstable experiments.

The half giant had tried to face his obstacles with honor and wisdom, but in the end all had turned into chaos and disaster. Many had died, more than a few by his own hand. Ironically, his struggle not to be turned into a villainous pirate had led him instead to be labelled a murderer. Never mind that his fight was just. A peaceful prosperous Roque could not afford the presence of a murderous heathen giant running about and stirring the citizens into a panic.

He had been taken, stripped of what few belongings he had salvaged from the ship, and imprisoned while the guards decided how to dispose of him. Winn expected they would either kill him or set him off on a ship bound far away. He had not heard of the King's proclamation about a city for heathens. So, when they had led him not to a gangway, nor to a chopping block, but instead to the ... twisted, unnatural shimmering of accursed magick, he panicked from certainty that he was being sent straight into the Nether.

Thus Winn arrived at Pax: a giant, half-clothed, fearsome figure roaring in outrage and freshly bruised from the heavy poles that had been used to force him through the portal.

(OOC: Technically I'm waiting for permission to transfer here, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to start the process. If anything needs changing, please let me know. :))
Zander Xelrad

Post by Zander Xelrad »

Zander Xelrad knew that this man was making fun of him, so he just make a fake smile. His scarf slips a bit for only a second before his hand reaches up to cover the pinker slit of scar tissue that had breifly been exposed. He focused his attention to the woman as his smile turned genuine. He had a look of thanks for her for interrupting the condecending soldier.

When she speaks he nods at her, his head tilts in a curious gesture as she refers to her apples. He then turns to the soldier as he blurts out that he isn't finished, he grabs at the paper, being careful not to wrinkle it. He turned around as he closed his eyes and rubbed at his forehead at the man's desperate attempt.

He smiled at...Myra, was what the soldier called her. He nodded to her first question and held up a single finger before following her out of the building.
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

(OOC: hey Winn, yer in. ;) May I direct you here? http://www.tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=11112 A Provost Office thread at the time of your arrival. You'd still be expected to "register" with the Pax Honestus at the Office, but there is currently something of a argument going on. Have fun!)

Post by Guest »

Ryax retched.

Bloody damn portals. I don't know why they have to bother me any, everyone else seems to pass through just fine.

Another heave, but this time it was dry, and Ryax broke into a coughing fit.

This is where we are supposed to be. Inane McGregory Clan, and forces of Muchislie. This treatment is unlawful, and it serves no good. Where the hell was the rest of the world to see that?

"They sure the nether aren't here..." Ryax said to himself checking his hair to make sure he hadn't retched in it.

Look at the size of thie portal, I bet they bring the poor bastards in by the wagon. I could probably just stand here, and unleash a few arrows, and do the world a bit of good.

However, Ryax, new that would end this journey far too quickly.

The tall human looked around, looking for anyone of importance around the portal. In a place as controlled as this, he was almost certain there would be some stupid log to sign.

Fucking politics and beaucrats, messing with the world.

"Hello?" He asked turning about, doing his best to avoid retching again. "Anywon in chahge?"

Gods blasted--need to calm down this accent or no one will understand me. As if they will here anyways.
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

Samheen 27th, early MT

The portal itself lay just within the strong walls of Pax Balthasar - huge, curved walls of a complex design that seemed a little out of place in this otherwise simple and practically constructed town. And what was more, unlike the small wooden buildings and the muddy streets of Pax, which all appeared very new (and with good reason, since none had been here for longer than a week), the wall itself seemed to have sat there for yahren - moss and vines grew on its rain-worn stones, and here and there grasses and small, clinging flowers nested in the cracks between.

There appeared to be no obvious gateway through this wall and out of Pax anywhere nearby.

However, near the portal a small, squat wooden building stood - two stories with a little wooden veranda to it, and a newly painted wooden sign that said simply 'Provost Office'. Outside the front porch a soldier stood, idily picking at his teeth in a bored sort of way - apparently it had been a slow few days at the Office, the initial rush of traffic slowing to an ebb. Guard duty outside the office was boring - but after the incident the morning before, all the Pax Honestus considered it very necessary.

The soldier did not notice Ryax immediately - apparently ingrossed in his own thoughts too deeply and hardly expect much custom through the portal this morningtide - but at the stranger's yell he looked up in only mild interest, Ah, another pagan refugee. Finally something to do... and strode across to Ryax with an easy pace - nothing hurried about it.

"Alright, mate? Portal get to yer stomach did it?" The soldier noticed Ryax's queasy expression and the recent evidence of such a thing on the muddy grass and wrinkled his nose at it. Not that he was so squeamish of vomit himself - a soldier spent a great many of his leisure hours persuading his stomach to do similar things with the aid of alcohol, after all - but the sight and smell of someone else's vomit so early in the morningtide was never pleasant. He noticed this - but apparently overlooked the stranger's accent. They'd all seen so many strange accents, races and peoples in the last few days as to take every one as commonplace by now, "All new arrivals report to tha Provost Office, hokay? Sign in there, an' yer get yer plot a' land an' all..."

Post by Guest »

Astoundingly keen sense of the obvious in these lands.

Ryax thought as the solider mentioned his vomiting.

"Apparently so..." was all he said in reply.

Ryax listened, as his nostrils grew accostomed to the scent of his vomit, that or the wind took it away. He didn't have much to say, just doing his job.

The tall human finally straightened himself out, standing fully erect and looking around for the 'Provost Office'. Then nodded at the guard.

Fucking politicians.

Then he thought he heard something not quite right.

Wait, what the hell? Land, don't ask about that. Just take it and go, you'll need it for your deeds, even if yer just workin' it for the ones that dress all pretty, and salute each other, or give each other long salutations.

Don't ask about it!

"So, wha' do ya mean, land?

You failure!

Ryax mumbled inwardly at himself, but just continued on towards he was directed scarely allowing the guard time to enter.

When he got to the office, he opened the door, and looked around for someone of importance, or at least some damn book to sign.

Better not sign that last name--I'm sure that would go over well.

"Yeah, McGregory, you know the clan of Islay that hunts Oneist. Cheery fellows with a good disposition once you get past the murderous prejudice towards the One."
Ryax monolouged in his head the conversation he would have to have if they found out.

C'mon, who's running this place?
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

"What do I mean, land? Oh, I dunno, just the land every pagan gets when they move here, is all...?" What are ya, some kinda moron? Or just get lost on yer way to World's Mouth, or something? Step in the wrong fuckin' portal? Whatever, let the Provost Marshall deal with 'im... The soldier's tone was more than a little condescending, and he seemed just as eager for Ryax to be on his way as Ryax himself - he held the door open for the tall human, and then left him to it.

Of course, one of the major factors in the Oneist soldier not wanting to interfere was Ryax's sheer height. Guard duty was boring, sure - but it was far preferable to be bored than... involved in some scene of excitement. No, they simply didn't pay him enough to deal with it - but the Provost Marshall, they paid him more than enough. At least, in the soldier's opinion.

Inside, the Provost Office was a small, practically built wooden building with very little to recommend it. A ratty-looking wool rug had been thrown on the floor near the entrance in a vague attempt to brighten the place up, and make it more homely - but it failed miserably in the sheer plainness of the rest of the room. Wooden boards, wooden walls, wooden beams, no windows to speak of - here and there a cheap candle or travelling lamp burned, giving the place a musty, sticky smell that mixed with the scent of fresh, damp wood. Near to the entrance, on the right hand side against a wall, a middle aged woman with her greying hair pulled back into a tight bun suited the room as much as she could, in her plain, practical clothes and plain, practical hairstyle. As Ryax entered, she looked up from a desk smothered in a mountain of paperwork and smiled as invitingly as she could manage - which was a tired, strained-looking smile that had had much of its cheer leeched away by the sheer volume of new arrivals in the last few days. Apparently she was not hugely keen on being interrupted right away - but knew the sooner she dealt with the new arrival the sooner she'd be left alone to get on with her other work.

"Morningtide to you, stranger. New here, are you? The Provost Marshall is somewhat busy at this current mark, I'm afraid - but I can deal with all the paperwork for you in just a flicker. If you'd like to take a seat?" She gestered at a small wooden chair on the opposite side of the desk, a chair that had no doubt seen a great many seats in the past few days - an fact reflected by the mud tracked across the floorboards, across the tatty wool rug and up to the chair.

Post by Guest »

"Give over. I didn't know." Ryax shot the words back over his shoulder.

No reason for him to talk like that to me. A damn One loving solider of the one. You would be quite the bag, and make the clan proud. One at a time will eventually show these pagans they outnumber their keepers.

"Alright, yes." He said to the fellow about having a seat and then lowered his large frame down onto a chair, and put a hand over his lips in thought.

Couldn't bag him here. He thought while looking the direction of the solider, even if he couldn't see him. I couldn't claim him, and of course, there would be a few objectors. I wonder if there is cover out there to even tag him? That would make it much easier. Still can't bag him there though!

"Do I need to see the Marshall, or can you just take care of things? Seems like you are well enough in control. I mean, we are just talking formality here, and you seem the type to know a quicker way about things."

Why do I want to bag him so bad? To what end? What about just the kill?
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

If Ryax appeared at all distracted, the woman in the Provost Office took no notice of it - she had far too many concerns of her own to be worrying over every new pagan that stepped through her door. And she was a very practical woman in all ways - if slightly overworked at the present time.

"Oh, I can take care of all the paperwork, Mister....?" The woman looked up and over her stacks of papers and ledgers at Ryax for a moment, leaving the sentence hanging and her pen poised in order to record his name. "The Provost Marshall technically deals will all new arrivals - but he is also the current leader of our small community, and like all of us his work load is large, so..." She shrugged, as if that explained his absense. Of course, he's also gone missing, which makes it impossible for you to see him anyway... Though that is of no importance to you, stranger...

"Hmm, okay, so - apart from your name - which you will spell for me, please - I also need your... occupation... place of origin and..." The woman sucked on the end of her quill thoughtfully for a moment, leaving a small smudge of ink on her bottom lip as she did so and licking at it subconsciously, "And your religion, if I may. After this, I can arrange the deeds to your new plot of land, and supply you with your entitlement of food and essentials - the same amount every pagan arriving here receives... Okay...?"

Post by Guest »

Ryax stood up to speak, his black leather trousers giving off the sound of newer leather garments. He had some reservations about one of the questions: his name. Though the fact that he techinally belonged to the McGregory Clan was not revealed in his name. He was still hesistant, yet, he gathered that there were many pagans here the 'overseers' kept a wary eye on.

"I was sure I be right, you are the one in charge around here, for now anyway. My name, miss, is, Ryaxim Meldon Underson." He then spelled it out for her. "However, I am mostly know as just Ryax, for your future reference, and less work for ye tounge." It was clear that Ryax was still trying to supress his accent and dialect.

"I was born in Islay, but as new'rborn babe, I was on ship to Muchie. That is where I grew up, and spent most of my life."

That was a lie. Ryax had spent the first twenty yahren of his life in Islay, before moving to Muchislie where in the last months before he planned his crusade to Pax he tried to pick up the local dialect and accent.

"I have no religious affliation t'all, miss."

If he kept this up, he soon would have great gaps in his teeth from the lies that past between them. If anything, he would say he worshipped 'Lumi, the most promient god of Muchie, but his devotion wasn't stong, it was only based on the search for truth which he found an admirable trait.

Ryax adjusted the long bow, shouldered across his back, as if to accent what he was about to say next, "I be a hunter, miss, and a tracker. Hunting the average game to feed myself, while I usually lend out my tracking skills to find lost souls in the wilderness--though of course, most my tracking does go with finding my game. However, if there be work for one in the skills of tracking down those that are where they shouldn't be or just plain dumb enough to get lost in the woods, I prefer the work."

Oneists

"I hope they be an adequate description of what you need."

And I hope you choke on that ink.
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

The woman behind the desk recorded all Ryax's declarations in small, neat handwriting that would have been quite impossible to read, upside down and from the angle at which he stood, even if he'd tried. Indeed, she wrote for rather longer than it might've taken simply to record what she'd asked for: name, religion, place of origin... it was a few burns until she seemed satisfied with her work, and then she paused, read it over once quickly, and then looked up at the new arrival with a pleasant but obviously well-practised smile.

"Wonderful, well, that part's done. All that's left is to give you your new plot of land - this will be your new home. Each pagan arriving in Pax receives a small plot with a wooden home, just enough to get you started, as well as two days' worth of food and some firewood. Any preference at all to the position of your plot, or would you simply prefer to be on your way? I have one residence remaining on main street... but perhaps you'd prefer something closer to the forest's edge, if you intend to hunt." The main street property was probably better reserved for someone intending to set up a business of some kind in Pax, after all - and though she'd not been doing this job for long, she was a shrewd and intelligent woman with a natural gift at placing people well, and these talents had been quickly noticed. This was how she'd ended up stuck in this stuffy office with mountains of paperwork. Sometimes it just didn't pay to be good at your job... Work hard, and what you get is rarely thanks and a day off - no. What you get is more work...

Post by Guest »

Ryax nodded to the woman, "Of course, of course, a plot of land near the forest would suit me just fine. And be quite benefical to my trade."

Wow, she is shallow, but she knows her job.

"And I suppose there be shops on the main street that would buy my game. I understand, there is a shortage of most things around these parts, though I am sure everyone does what they can. Do ya know of a place that would be interested in hiring the one that can hunt and track? I know that not be your job, but something that be helping me to get on my own two feets would be grand. Just a point in the general direction is all I need to someone who knows a thing two about a thing or two. Supposed I could always just go explorin' the street."

Chokin' on that ink yet?

Ryax gave his own well-practiced half smile in return.
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

"Businesses...? I suppose you could ask Melissa LaRouge over at Nether's Gate - that's the... ahh... tavern just across the way..." She hesitated from mentioning its other trade, for a practical Oneist woman like herself found the whole subject rather embarrassing. This Ryax will no doubt find out for himself in due time... "I hear she's buying hunted game - she has a tavern kitchen to run after all. Though she's less likely to hire you, and more likely to simply keep a tab of what you bring in versus what you spend there..." Meat for meat, I believe it would be... The woman blushed a little at this very improper thought, and paused, studying her notes intently for a moment until she was quite certain the flush had passed from her cheeks.

"Ah, also you might have a word with Kaelara, who runs Kaelara's shop - on main street, just down the way. You can't miss it - she's painted herself a sign... She's a trader of sorts, though we have little coming in these days, and she might trade you game for basic supplies. I believe she stocks most things... Though..." The woman pondered for a moment, sucking again on the quill pen, and, despite Ryax's fond wish otherwise, not choking on the ink at all. "I have seen a few hunters through this office in the past three days, and no butchers to speak of. Perhaps you might do good trade if you considered opening one yourself, Mister Underson? Just a suggestion, of course - but if you think it good, I can give you that plot on main street that I still have remaining."

Of course, it was in her best interest to encourage new businesses in Pax - the town was still lamentably small and struggling to remain on its feet, and any form of food distribution would do very well, she was quite sure. A butcher would be ideal, with the number of hunters looking to sell game, and the winter setting in.

She gave him a moment to consider, and then shrugged, "Up to you, naturally. Well, I believe that will be all, Mister Underson - welcome to Pax, you are now registered. Supplies are in the backroom - just behind me, look - the door's not locked... help yourself to a crate, and I'll write out your deed for you, okay...?"

Post by Guest »

"I doubt I will be spending much time there, and even less money>"

Very wrong. Ryax will probably look there for his entertainment and relaxation from when he spent a great deal of time in the woodsl That long in the woods also made Ryax yearn for the 'Ole In-Out'. It was a natural action, and being in nature for that long...well. Back to the point of things, Ryax only lied because he hated the assumption.

Then a curious hair was tickled with in Ryax. Something that doesn't happen very often to be honest, for he's had a few cats--and they tasted terrible--but he was curious about this oppurtunity on main street. Besides, one doesn't wash out of the Muchie Marines three times without losing a little fear of failure, and learning to whet some appetites for coin, by placing intriguing amounts in the palm. The size of the bribe was just as important as how it's given, it's a whole game within itself.

Ryax mused about bribes in his head, while he thought of this 'Nether' place, perhaps he could find the other hunters their. Might not be a bad idea to start a guild per se, and then he could start to be a proper butcher.

Then the unthinkable, two curious hairs in a row, but this one he could not explain. For some reason the solider outside was just enraging him, and so was this woman, and made him all the more ready to get this darn buthery up and running.

"Yes, miss, I think you be giving good information, and I be liking the offer of a main street plot just fine. I'll come up with permission to hunt on another's land somehow. Yes, yes, main street it is."

That's it! Poision in the ink! Perfect.

Ryax smiled broadly, "A butcher I'll be, and I think I will have you to thank for it."
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

The woman smiled at this ideal resolution of the situation, "Wonderful. I'll make out the deed to the main street property in your name, then..." And she proceeded to do so, pleased that she had been able to help not only this young gentleman, but the whole of Pax, and in the space of a few burns' conversation. "Although...." She continued, in slightly more distracted tones, writing and speaking simultaneously, "...you... aren't going to need permission.... from anyone to hunt in the forests around here..." She looked up at him with a pleasant smile, "The forests are the land of no man, up as far as Brie, where they become the estate of the Baron - although he's been dead for at least a tenday, from the rumours I've heard, and as of yet has no successor. So I doubt you'll be challenged if you hunt in the forests as our other residents are doing."

Contrary to popular opinion, the Baron of Brie did indeed have a successor - a young man by the name of Sebastian Beauvais, who had been in residence at the Brie Manor for the past two days already. The woman in the Provost Office did not know this, however - the rumour-mill not quite as efficient over long distances, for obvious reasons - and therefore what she spoke was the truth as far as she was aware.

She completed her paperwork briskly, sorted it neatly, and then smiled at him once more, "That all seems to be in order, Mister Underson - it only remains for me to welcome you to Pax. I do hope your business is successful." She handed him the deeds, and having already given him permission to pick up his own supplies, Ryax's entrance to Pax was officially complete.

-----------------------------------
OOC: Allow me to repeat the words of my NPC - welcome to Pax, Ryax! You are now free to post wherever you like. Have fun. ;)

Oil my kingdom for some oil...

Post by Guest »

At last the unsettling experience ended and the young dwarf stumbled into the well trodden path in front of the portal. Blinking Stahl surveyed his brand spanking new surroundings. Busy, bushy..., were his first thoughts.

Anticipating more arrivals he stepped away from the mirror-like surface that had just granted him entrance to Pax. Trying to calm his nerves and stomach his stubby little fingers grappled for his beaten up pipe. Slowly he forced some waddles of bad reeking tobacco into the branchlike contraption. With a trembling sigh he lit the weeds and took a giant puff from the pipe.

Coughing loudly, Stahl'Or readjusted his faded blue backpack and strolled towards the Provost Office. For the first time he noticed the hellish screeching produced by his suit of armour. I'd really shou' ge' some nice fa' grease to oil meself up! Already too conscious of his appearance, the desperate wailing of his attire didn't help. Within seconds his head had turned the same colour as his beard and his nervous wheezing worsened.

I'd be''er ge' this over wi'! As the bearded dwarf neared the squat, wooden building his nerves ran him down, and almost forced Stahl to swallow his ugly pipe. Coughing as if his guts where on their way out, the 4'1" dwarf peered up at the guard, his vision misty and teary. "Prggrrlll..." *hiccup* "Gree'ings." *cough* "T'is tha place to be fer a new'rival?"
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

The guard wrinkled his nose distastefully - first he'd had some giant of a man throwing up all over the portal, and now this dwarf was apparently coughing up a lung right on his clean shirt. Guard duty was usually long period of boring punctuated by short periods of work, but this was just ridiculous. At this rate, the next person to tumble through that portal would be... on fire, or something...

"Yeah, uhh... this is the place for new arrivals. Right through there, mate," The guard gestured to the Provost Office just behind him, with an expression of slight distaste on his face - it was clear he wanted to get the stranger out of his way, preferably before he expired at his feet.

The Provost Office, located immediately behind the guard, was indeed a squat, wooden building, with a short veranda out front, and a door to the interior, where the Provost Marshall and his staff dealt with a number of things - and among those duties, registering new arrivals and allocating each pagan refugee with a plot of land and food for two days, as agreed. Just beyond the Office, and circling both Office and portal neatly, before meandering off in a sinuous manner to surround the whole of Pax, a long, elegant wall of strange, foreign design provided a sturdy backdrop to the small, practical wooden buildings. Oddly enough, the wall looked a great deal older than the buildings themselves, and was built from stone, not only practically, but with a certain grace and beauty to it. Moss and lichen grew on it, and small tufts of grasses between the carefully cut but somewhat worn stones.

The Provost Office itself was fairly shabby in comparison - obviously built for practical reasons rather than with any sense of style or taste. Pax had, as yet, no cobbled or stone streets, and mud had been tracked over the boards of the veranda, making an obviously well-travelled path inside, over a tatty looking wool rug apparently designed to cheer the place up somewhat, and towards a small, paper-covered desk. The interior of the building was gloomy - no windows to speak of, only a few lanterns to shed any light on it - and simple, and smelled of new wood and damp. Beside the desk was a short wooden chair of simple design, and behind the desk a middle-aged woman, ink stains on her fingers, her hair pulled back into a style as practical and unattractive as the building she worked in. She seemed entirely absorbed in her paperwork, and in reducing the stacks of it through much hard work and dedication - and did not look up as the dwarf entered - her quill scratching over some no doubt important document relentlessly.

Post by Guest »

Through a thick cloud escaping from his father's old pipe Stahl caught a glimpse of the distaste clearly showing on the guard's face. In no mood to start a squabble right then and there, the dwarf chose to ignore the feelings of hurt pride rising up in his galloping heart. After all he must look rather scruffy and perhaps even on the edge of meeting Molten in person. With a simple, but courteous nod he ambled towards the uninviting door of the Provost Office.

Bone weary the little dwarf kept his sights securely aimed at the servicable entrance. None of the rather interesting surroundings - especially for one slightly versed in the art of stone masonry and architecture - registered. The dwarf was hugely relieved to finally have reached the doorway; to Stahl'Or it had seemed he had travelled several markers from where the guard had talked to him.

Feeling more than seeing the mud trail leading the way, the heavy footed youngster slithered to a halt before the opening. Peering inside, Stahl noticed the faint smell of fresh cut timbers mingled with mouldy mildew.

In the faint light of some thinly spread lanterns he hesitatingly stepped forward. Unsure what was expected of him next the dwarf's gaze wandered the interior. It halted abruptly when it reached the hands of the Provost. They were dotted with dark stains and one was scribbling away on some document. Seeing the stained fingers Stahl - rather absentminded - glanced at his own hands. Looking back at him were his steel plated gloves. He blinked and looked up at the woman again, involuntarily an half swallowed cough escaped his lips.
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

The woman started slightly at Stahl's cough, peering over the rim of the paperwork at his short self and then flushing, and pushing aside a great stack so she might address him properly. "Good tide to you - I'm so sorry about that. Work, you know..." She said, rather vaguely, actually somewhat peeved to have been interrupted again so soon after the last refugee - she had registered a man named Ryaxim Meldon Underson barely burns before, and had been hoping for a relatively quiet morningtide on his departure, to somewhat decrease the vast stacks of paper that threatened to overwhelm her at any moment - or so they seemed to do, in this dark, quiet building, alone.

She had spent some time hoping for the appearance of the Provost Marshall this morning, in between hoping for all paperwork to be banned under some new law - but neither looked like they might be happening any time soon. And while the Provost Marshall's absense might be considered fairly worrying, he had not been gone long enough just yet to be officially classed as missing - and so what registered was more annoyance than she had to take over his duties in Anarion's stead.

"Please, take a seat," She added, somewhat distracted by this wealth of thoughts, "And we can have you registered directly. You're a new arrival, correct? I just need to record some information..." She dug out a thick bound book from under a pile of papers, and flipped it open to the nearest half-empty page - meticulous records of all who had migrated to Pax in the last few eventful days. "Now... if I could begin by asking your name, sir. And also your birthplace, and religious practice...."

Post by Guest »

A bit guilty that his cough seemed to have startled the weary looking woman, he listened to her greeting. "Work, you know..." Looking blankly at her he had to admit to himself that he actually didn't know. The stacks of papers littering the desk were in their own right pretty impressive, but the Provost seemed to know her way around them. Well, at least she should do, as she probably would be paid for it.

After what seemed to be an eternity to his tired legs she offered Stahl a seat. Unused to such a welcoming gesture from a Provost he barely managed to squeeze out a mumbled 'thank you'. Slowly he bend down to take to the offered perch. During this manoeuvre - which it really was in his fully plated state - a drum-splitting squeak escaped his left knee-joint. In a reflex his hand clasped it in a vain effort to drown out the annoying sound.

Too conscious of his shabby state, he stumbled over his own tongue in an effort to divert the woman's attention to his words instead. "Or...Stahl'Or, dwarven..." So much for stating the obvious you fool! "Err...born...errr...yes...Nazareen!" Having said this the auburn haired dwarf spread out his arms, broadly gesturing. Some people might recognize a kind of wavy motion perhaps faintly reminiscent of mountain tops. Most, probably, would be too distracted by the high peel of metal grinding against metal. Quickly Stahl'Or stopped his movements and slapped his hands together, holding them there. "SWEET MOTHER OF...", he stammered, "Errr... The sweet mother of earth...is...errr...my religion."

Having said that the young dwarf clamped his jaws shut and waited for a response. Fool, you handled yourself like a moron. Stupid, stupid... He gazed over at the Provost before him and a shy smile split his tomato red head into two, revealing his shiny, white teeth.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

The woman winced, painfully, as Stahl's armour groaned in protest - but a glance at the dwarf's beet red face and embarrassed expression was enough to make her bite her tongue. Commenting on something that, unless stone deaf (and he didn't seem to be), he was no doubt entirely aware seemed little more than rubbing salt into the wound, and she had never been a cruel or rude woman, priding herself on her good Oneist morals and manners. Besides, she'd seen a good many strange people arrive through the portal and file past her desk of the last few days to be surprised at this strange, scruffy little dwarf, despite his apparent self-conscious attack of the nerves.

No, instead she waited patiently, trying not to grimace too obviously at the shrieking and whining of his plate armour and offering him, when he was done, and soft and encouraging smile meant to reassure him. She was not a beautiful woman, by any means - time had robbed her face of beauty yahren ago - and nor did she appear particularly motherly. But her face was a kind one, the lines in it showing she was a lady much accustomed to smiling.

Or perhaps, until recently - until she'd moved to Pax and all this godforsaken paperwork - it had been.

"Let me just check I had this down right," She murmured, looking from her notes to his face, offering him the warm smile once more and checking over what she'd written - for he had been, at best, slightly vague and interrupted frequently by the armour, which seemed to want to have its say quite vocally. "Stahl'Or, from Nazareen, and your religion is.... the mother...? Well, that all seems to be in order. Now - each new citizen of Pax receives a plot of land and a home - in which you may set up a business if you so desire. You will also receive two days' worth of food and some other basic supplies, such as firewood. I can organise all this for you now - or, if you'd prefer, you're more than welcome to have a look round our little town and decide where you'd prefer to have a plot. I have one or two near the forests' edge remaining, as well as several near the bottom of town and, hmm... I'm not certain. One moment..." She checked through a pile of papers, flipping between them rapidly and pulling out a checklist of sorts, written in her own small, neat handwriting, "I believe all the plots on Main Street and near the River Clearwater are already taken, I'm afraid."

Post by Guest »

The soft and reassuring smile appearing on the lady's well used face, gave Stahl a bit more confidence. She seems nice! Perhaps not all provosts are bad news, he thought as the official read his own statements back to him. With a faint half smile fighting his, still nervous, lips to let it pass, the bald dwarf nodded his consent.

As the middle aged woman checked her list and prattled on about the possible location of his new home and lands, Stahl tried to work out a way to formulate his request. When the loverly provost finally finished her explanation and peered at him waiting for his reply, he slowly voiced his question. "Mrs. Provost...err...would it be possible to build me own house? You see I'd be a stonemason by trade and it would kinda be a nice billboard for me trade...a self-built house I mean... And for the plot of land...are there any rock-faces or quarries nearby? Then I wouldn't have to carry the stones too far, you see..."

At exactly that moment his - until than well-behaved - tummy decided to butt in. With an unmistakable roar it announced it's presence and apparent lack of sustenance. Stahl's hand shot up and pressed his belly to calm the monster inside down a bit. Of course this was to no avail as his sturdy, body-armour kept his hand from reaching beyond. So as an afterthought the noisy dwarf announced with a timid grin: "The food would be very welcome indeed!"
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

"Build your own house...? Why, certainly it is possible. I have a couple of plots of land that have no buildings on them, or I can arrange one if we have none..." The woman searched through her papers, briefly and efficiently, "Mmm, that should be no problem whatsoever. There's one... here.... mmm, down near the woods on the south side of town. Near the... the wall..."

Now, should she say anything about that? It seemed foolish to, to be honest - it would not do to go worrying new arrivals with tales of miraculously appearing walls. No, it was better to say nothing of it at all - he'd no doubt hear the tales from the other citizens in good time. Something of her worry concerning this might have slipped briefly into her voice from the mention of the wall, but it was little more than a passing moment, and she did not let it stop her in her important work.

"Of course, you'd need shelter until then. Nether's Gate may have rooms, or Kaelara's shop may be able to provide you with a tent of some kind... and your supplies will be in one of the crates out back." She gestured to small, unlocked room behind her, in which one or two crates of carefully divided supplies remained. "So please help yourself..." She murmured this last part as she filled out a small slip of paper - his deed to that land. Ink stains on her fingers and lips implied she spent a great deal of time doing exactly this, or very similar.

"There you are." She added, once finished, and handed him the deed. "That should all be fine. Now everything's in order, I have only to welcome you to our town Mister 'Or. Is there anything else I can do for you, before you go...?"

OOC: Welcome, Stahl! Wonderful to have you. You're now free to post in Pax wherever you'd like. Timestamp is: 27th MT. - Finn

Post by Guest »

What a friendly lady! An impish grin skimmed the surface of his worn out face, hinting at the usual lively soul underneath and it's well hidden youth. Stahl was overjoyed as the lady-provost didn't seem to mind his enquiry for a self-built. The spot she offered him sounded perfect! Near the wealth of the forest and next to the sturdy safety of the wall. Great! Young as he was, he still thought he heard something odd in the drawn out word 'wall'. Why the emphasis? A wall is a wall after all. Without further thought he shrugged it off. Must be me tightly strung nerves pestering me again.

"Thank you very much, me'lady! That sounds grand, indeed." His muttered response was riddled with little tremors, betraying his pleasure and eagerness. After what he had been through he was looking forward to some honest, hard work. His stonemason's skills had been neglected for too bloody long.

The sound of buying a tent sounded like the best option in the dwarf's hairy ears. A bit of peace and quiet would suit me jus' fine right about now! Stahl'Or figured, the hustle and bustle of an inn would be a bit too much for his exhausted mind to cope with.

Barely audible the auburn bearded dwarf murmured: "Kaelera's shop, a tent, sounds good." However the busy woman before him already had a midweeks lead on him. She waved vaguely at the back room and Stahl's tired, bloodshot eyes followed the gesture. As he noted the lack of a lock, he felt safer right away. If even the provost thought locking up a needless exercise, she certainly must have a tight reign on Pax Balthasar.

As Stahl thought on this, the lady had finished drawing up his deed and was waving it in front of his face. With a small smile his stubby fingers took the paper from her. "Thank ya very much." He was about to turn around and walk out, when the middle aged woman offered her further assistance. Mother of glaciers and mudslides, she really is very nice...for a provost.

"Err...as a matter of fact... Could I ask a favour of you, dear lady? I was wondering if I could leave me supplies 'ere for the time being. First I want to get me a tent, until then I don't have anywhere to put the supplies anyways. Do ya think that's possible?" This was the longest monologue the woman had heard from him since he'd arrived. In an owlish attempt to be charming, the bald dwarf let a faint smile wander the edges of his mouth.

OOC: Thanks for the nice welcome! I'll do my best to flavour the town a bit. :twisted: I'll go and post in the Shop-thread. This one will be wrapped up in a few posts I'd imagine.

Return to “The Baron Estates Archives”