The Bazaar - Samheen 24th MT (open to all)

Moderators: Tristam, Mods

Tristam

The Bazaar - Samheen 24th MT (open to all)

Post by Tristam »

The bazaar was the focal point of commerce in Gulanadur. Anything, from socks to servants, was bought and sold among these squares and streets.

The merchant houses that practically ruled the bazaar displayed their emblems proudly either on stone storefronts or on the sides of majestic tents of rare silks. They were truly easy to see for they could afford mage lights to illuminate their wares and attract the attention of the passerby.

Of course, some preferred to do their business in the darkness, in squat little stalls and tunnel that were lit only by the flashing green eyes of the glow rats or the dull red glow from the fire beetles.

---

On this day, the marketplace was packed with people not so much seeking goods as they were for gossip or information. The question could be overheard on everyone's lips high born and low alike. What did it mean that a great black tent had been erected in the bazaar with the symbol of the Queen upon it?
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

An Achadhiel, on the cusp of adulthood, strode down the road, soaking in the sights and sounds. Dressed in the clothes of a beggar, he hefted all of his belongings in a worn cloth satchel, hopeful of what the future held for him. Waiting for a sign from the Gods as to what to do next, the lad's thoughts were rudely interrupted by an impatient growling eminating from his gut.

Chuckling to himself, he placed a hand to his midsection. "Perhaps you are right. I am sure the Gods are not so impatient that they would mind me stopping to eat."

Turning to the stalls lining the streets, the Half-Elf caught scent of a nearby food vendor. With saliva rising in his mouth, he pulled some coin from his pouch and, after a short bit of haggling, paid the merchant his fee. Raising a piece of flatbread, gratuitously smothered in succulent meats and gravy, Rylagh savored the taste, not only of his meal, but also of his newfound freedom.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Roasted bat in gravy on a mushroom bread was simple fare but surely better that what his former master used to feed him. It was hot and fresh and not just scraps.

A low horn note blew over the crowds of the marketplace and every head turned towards the source of the sound, the black tent.

A muscular adhiel stood before it on a raised stone platform, raised only a few moments ago if Rylagh's memory serves. He wears a suit of dark chain mail brightly polished and under it an outfit of finest leather. He was a Dark Knight, one of the Queen's and Gulanadur's protectors.

"Citizens of Gulanadur!" His voice boomed out over the crowd carried farther than anyone's lungs should be able. "I have been charged by her Majesty, Queen Ser'raquine, to bring you grave tidings. It has never been our way to care much for the events of the upper world, but some things cannot be ignored!" He thundered.

"You all know how our people disappeared." He continued. "How we awoke from our beds and found lovers, family and friends had gone. Even the gods were silent as to why and to where they were taken. Until now." The crowds truly began to thicken around the tent at that.

"Anasati, Molten, Moonlady and others summoned the chosen adhiel to a desert above. There they were confront a god gone mad. They were to save us from those that just as soon see us dead." He paused for a moment. "They failed." His voice cracked on the words.

"A mountain sits coated in glass entombing the bodies of adhiel that dared to stand against the abomination that calls himself Domincius." He continued more firmly. "This outrage cannot go unanswered and now the opportunity is upon us!"

"We do not concern ourselves with the events of the world above but some things cannot be ignored!" He repeated. "Pan's Isle has been invaded! The Oneists have taken the main port and scattered the followers of Pan to the winds. The centaurs that guard the route above have withdrawn to face this threat. The way above is clear!"

"Now is our time to ascend. For revenge, for glory, for conquest, now is the time to ascend!" He thundered once more. "Her Majesty Queen Ser'raquine commands us to take to the surface once more and offers you all a piece of those lands! She urges every able bodied man and woman to lend their skills to this great venture and reap the rewards that are surely to come. Recruitment for the Great Ascent has begun!"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

For the first time in his life, Rylagh felt as though everything had clicked together, forming a pattern of perfect clarity and vision. All his life he knew he was destined for something more than the paltry servant's life he led before. The Gods act in mysterious ways? Bah! There was no mystery in this Achadhiel's heart; the path to greatness was plainly laid before him!

Quickly finishing his meal (for how can one do great things on an empty stomach?), Rylagh pushed to the front of the crowd, his stride filled with nobility and purpose.

"By the Moonlady, I will aid my people in this hour of need!"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Well not exactly the tip top recruit I was hoping for but the boy is willing and eager. That I can work with. None of those thoughts were clear on his face. On the contrary he greeted Rylagh's outcry with a wide smile.

"And in the name of the Queen, I will accept that aid. See people of Gulanadur. This young man offers all that he had in the service of Queen and country. Will you offer less?"

Rylagh soon found himself guided into the tent by a young soldeir in the same uniform as the Captain who continued to harrangue the crowd. A long line began to form behind him emboldened by Rylagh's example.

The tent was filled with tables each with another soldier behind it waiting with paper and quill to process the recruits. Rylagh was led to the first of the tables and the soldier nodded to him.

"Welcome recruit. I'll need your name and a list of what skills and resources you bring to the venture." He instructed.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

"Uhm, I am not sure what you mean by skills and resources, sir, but my name is Rylagh. I ask only to be given a chance to prove myself. I am a quick learner and a good reader, and you will not have to worry of me being a nuisance; I can stay out of sight and hearing and will not be in the way."

Though nervous about his uncertain future, Rylagh pushed his emotions to the side, then took a deep breath and focused his will on maintaining an aura of resolve.

"I will not be turned away sir. It is my destiny to be here, and I am not one to question the will of the Gods."
Last edited by Guest on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The Gods chose a man that doesn't know the word skills. Lucky us. The soldier thought to himself. On the form he simply wrote, literate.

"If we wanted you out of the way, we would have left you out of the tent." The recruiter said dryly. "By skills, I mean what can you do. Once we know that, we'll know where to assign you and what training you need. Can you use weapons or fight barehanded? Any other," he paused a moment as though doubting the fitness of the question, academic skills besides reading? Tell me how you best you think you can make yourself useful around here."

After Rylagh had answered those questions, the soldier went on. "Now by resources, I really mean money." He said bluntly. "The Queen will of course outfit you and take care of all your needs in return for your loyal service. Your generosity however can help make this venture more comfortable for yourself and others should you choose to donate."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

"I have been a servant for most of my life, sir. Unfortunately, during that time, I spent more time cleaning the latrines than learning the myriad skills of warfare that I am sure you know. Though, as I said, I can read, and I am ready and willing to learn the skills that can be taught here.

"On the subject of resources..."

Rummaging through his belt pouch, Rylagh pulled out several coin. Laying the sum of four Crown, two Coronet, two Circlet, and two Banner on the table, he said, "This is all the coin I have, though if the Queen requires it of me, she is welcome to it."

A whisper in his mind warned that giving this coin away would leave Rylagh penniless, but the lad suppressed the idea, pushing it to the back of his mind. 'Faith is what has brought me this far, so I shall put faith in the path before me,' the Achadhiel assured himself in thought.

"Will this be enough, sir?"
Last edited by Guest on Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The recruiters eyes lit up at the unexpected amount of coinage that emerged from Rylagh's pouch. Swfitly he reached out and collected the four Crowns and left the smaller change for Rylagh.

"This is most generous of you, Rylagh. Your Queen appreciates it. You may be sure of that." The words 'Generous - 4Cr' appeared under the term literate on Rylagh's form.

"Well you have no need to worry about training. In fact, your donation has opened the door to any path you would choose to follow within this enterprise." The recruiter smiled at him. "If you wish to enter the military branch of this venture you can be trained for combat. We have need of general soldiers, archers, and scouts. However, your skill at letters would also make you useful as a runner or quartermaster or similar support positions."

"Or you could come with me." A deep voice cut in from his right. The recruiter turned with angry look to see who had interrupted him. The adhiel that stood there had an angular look to him. His knees and elbows jutted out from his body in a scarecrow type manner. He wore a black robe with silver trim at the hem and cuffs. He moved without the natural grace of the adhiel as if the action pained him but he never let that discomfort show. Only steely resolve showed in those gray eyes.

The anger drained from the recruiters face and he swiftly dropped his head in a nod of resepect. "Magus." He muttered in greeting.

"There is a glimmering of power within you, boy. A spark of potential." The adhiel termed Magus intoned. "Have you the courage to fan it into a flame? Or do you fear to be consumed by it if you try?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Rylagh focused his mind to a forced calm, fearful that his voice might show weakness before this being of power, though he could not help looking somewhat bewildered at this opportunity. He had known his fate would bring him somewhere, but never in his wildest dreams did Rylagh even imagine being chosen for the Mages' Guild. Why would the Gods select one from the lowest dregs of society for such a lofty station? But if this was Their will, then so be it.

"Forgive me if I offend, but I did not come here simply to hide with my tail between my legs upon meeting my first difficulty. And while only a fool feels no fear, I rule my fear; I do not let it rule me. I will accept your offer, Magus, sir. My name is Rylagh."
Last edited by Guest on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Brave words." The Magus said with satisfaction. "Let us see if they lead to brave acts. Rise and follow me." The Magus turned stiffly and began walking slowly towards the back of the tent. He did not look to see if Rylagh followed. Obediance was assumed.

"Tell me Rylagh." The Magus spoke. "Have you ever seen anything that could not be explained by your normal sight?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Rylagh paused for a moment, deep in thought. "There... was a time...

"Magus, before today, I was an indentured servant to an Adhiel. He... he would often beat me for even the slightest infraction. Sometimes, I thought I could almost see colors dancing around him, whenever he was very angry, but...

"I always thought I was seeing things, because of the pain, but could this be something like what you mean?"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Yes." The Magus hissed. "Yes that could be exactly what I meant. Anger and fear are very potent forces boy. I think that was your spark ignited. Untrained, even unknowing, part of you reached out for the energy around you for escape maybe?" The Magus slowed even more and looked back over his shoulder. "For control? For revenge?"

"Tell me Rylagh." The Magus instructed. "Had you reached out for power and found it there at your fingertips, what would you have done to your cruel master?" Rylagh could not see the eyes of the Magus from the depth of his hood, yet he could feel his gaze upon him none the less.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

"I am not sure, Magus; I hated him, more than I thought possible. But there was a maid there that cared for me, treating my wounds and cleaning me up before we would go out into the public."

A hint of a grin crossed Rylagh's face at the rememberance of pleasant memories. "The old one would read to me every night, and even taught me my letters. She always said that the master would someday reap the cruelty that he sowed, and that through kindness we would someday have kindness done to us in return. She said that was the way of the Gods, to test us and refine us in pain to make us stronger."

Rylagh's expression then grew quite a bit darker. "But if I had the power, I think I would want my master to hurt as I had. I couldn't kill him, for that would be wrong, but I would want him to fear me, at least enough so that he would beat me no more.

"Though now the point is moot... Tell me, Magus, was it... was it my fault he was killed? Did I somehow... will the assassins to come?"

The mental dam of resolve that the young Achadhiel had been keeping suddenly broke under the flood of his emotionally turbulent past, and tears started to well up in his eyes. "I did not want him to die, Magus! No matter how much I hated him, I never wanted him to die!"
Last edited by Guest on Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

A New Destiny

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Why are people not going up there?! Ssinith screamed in his mind.

"I will go!"

It took him a moment of prayer to decide, but the lad who longed to become Molten's Sorcerer had set forth on his holy quest. He stepped forward from the crowd to meet with the soldier before him. He bowed respectfully before the soldier, a tinge of nervousness in the arcane lad's eyes. He still had his sash around his chest to go to the Mage's Acadamy.

He was well dressed, and silently praised Molten that he decided to go out for breakfast to hear this. Perhaps people would be swayed by the fact that he was a well-dressed Sorcerer, his sash still across his chest.

"I offer my faith in Molten and my prowess in magic! Will I have time to prepare for war, or is Her Royal Highness requesting my presence now? I have coin to fit myself with, or perhaps fit someone else with."

He turned to the crowd, knowing he was good at talking in faith. Closing his eyes, he gave a quick prayer to Molten for wisdom, and spoke firmly and with heart, a slight choke in his voice as she eyes watered. This was somewhat of a sermon, but of the spirit, not of a god.

"I could not let this man give everything he had alone. For all I know, he could be leaving loved ones behind and soon they would be mourning him as many of us mourned when the initial dissapearances happened. I, too, will be leaving people I love behind... but whatever god you worship, all of us will be under attack."

He paused, tears falling from his face.

"Pray all you will for the gods to save us all... pray that the mountain that lies before us will be moved... but I... I pray not that the mountain be moved, but that I might have the strength to climb. Our nation... our GODS need all of us! Whether you can wield a sword, forge one... or maybe all you can do is offer an extra hand in carrying supplies from one area to another! I... will... NOT allow some surface-dwelling, maggot-infested, false faith set one foot on my doorstep!"

He was livid... furious... sad... frustrated... he was just blowing up. These bastards were not going to come near his people and home! He was going to let the world know it, too!

"Anabh Ninadhiel!"
Those heathens!

"I ea seodhiel sanaianabh, i ea ninadhiel seodhiel sanaianabh, i ea dainibh seodhielibh aidhanabh nin"

May the gods damn them, may the heathen god be damned, may the gods know them not!

"And may I be a tool in their damnation... who is with me?!"

((Nice way to introduce the character?))
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Most Heroic Male PC (2008)
Most Religious PC (2008/2006)
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Rylagh

The Magus reached down with his hand and cupped Rylagh's chin. The skin of his hand was rough and hard. Points dug into his skin as the Magus lifted Rylagh's head to look into the depths of his hood. Pale glimmering eyes stared through Rylagh's tears.

"You waste your tears on scum like he." The Magus told him flatly. "You owed him nothing. If you must weep, mourn the fact that the hand holding the knife was not your own and justice for the crimes done upon you is ever beyond you now."

Abruptly, the Magus let go of his chin and turned once more. "Sadness and pain are potent forces, Rylagh. Do not waste them." He repeated. "Your master own actions doomed him. Your actions may do the same someday if you do not learn perception and control. That is what I shall teach you Rylagh. Those shall be the first lessons and the ones you will practice again and again every day of your life hoping to finally get them right."

Ssinith

People had been trickling in after Rylagh's entrance. His bravery inspired many of the common folk of Gulanadur to join up and the nobles and merchants were satisfied to let them do so. Why should they bear the brunt of the dangers and difficulties when it would be their coin supporting the venture. Surely that was enough.

Then Ssinith made his speech. His outrage and passion thundered forth over the astonished crowd. Then shock turned to shame and shame turned to righteous anger.

"Damn the heathens! We are with you!" The cry went up from the crowd and Ssinith found himself at the forefront of a horde of people descending on the recruiters that vainly tried to orderly funnel people towards the waiting desks and scribes ready to take their information.

Ssinith was led directly to the Dark Knight in charge of this venture and he offered Ssinith a handclasp and delighted smile. "Not even in this a flicker and you contribute more than anyone I have seen. Pray tell me your name, sir, such that I know who to praise before Her Majesty for his service this day."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Whoh...

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

He just stood there dumbfounded... he had just changed the course of history by expressing his anger. Breathing hard, he was trembling as he just watched and smiled. It was then he was led to the knight as the crowds filtered in to help... he was barely concious of being moved, the mob just rushing to aid.

He accepted the hand, wiping a drifting tear from his eye and across his cheek with his crimson sleeve. Tremors still came after giving off all that anger and rage into his speech. It took him a moment to focus his eyes on the knight captain.

"Ahh... Ssinith D'Illil, sir." He replied meekly. "But truly, the one who went first before me is the real hero. If he had not have stepped forward, I may not have gone up myself... one would think that he alone would be enough to sway the heart of our people. I... got so angry."

He caught enough of his senses to gather himself, looking the knight straight in the eye. The youth was nervous, but his aqua eyes reflected a heart and soul of iron.

"How much time do I have to prepare for war, Sir Knight? I am a Sorcerer. I must get combat-orientated supplies and study material. I must also inform my professors that I will be leaving."
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"There will be enough room in this venture for many heroes, Master D'Illil" The knight offered while shaking his hand. "No need to not take your fair share of the spoils." He chuckled.

"I am Aukon D'tar-Devir, Heart Keeper for the Great Ascent." Heart Keepers were soliders dedicated to keeping the troops morale up, literally to keep their hearts focused on the tasks before them and see to their needs. They are half quartermaster, half confessor and the second-in-command to balance the War Leader.

"If you wish to leave with the vanguard ascending now to secure a base on the surface, then you have marks only." Aukon informed him. "Most of these recruits will have to be trained and equipped and will not ascend for a few days. Those already skilled such as yourself can ascend whenever you choose. There are other sorcerers from the guild going with the vanguard. You may find the kind of equipment you need already on our supply wagons. Of course, I appreciate how particular mages can be about their components and the like so take what time you need." Aukon smiled in understanding. "And do not trouble yourself too much about mundane equipment. We are sending our troops well provisioned and you are welcome to our stores."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Marks...

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Marks...

Ssinith looked at himself up and down. He would need to take clothes that he could easily manouver in. Alchemical substances, definately! Since mundane equipment could be provided it would be some of those rarer materials that he could need.

"Thank you, Sir Aukon. If you have Alchemical tools which are traveling friendly, then it would save me some time and I could bid farewell to my family and friends. I will merely get what reagents I can..."

Ssinith bowed his head in thought for a moment, gazing over his tall and lanky form. He also imagined a soldier attacking him when most of his energy was spent from using magic all day. He lifted his head back up to the good knight, putting in all the factors of war.

"It may be wise, however, to learn how to defend myself. Using magic takes an abundance of energy. If I'm spent and I get attacked, I will be far less useful to the queen dead. A weapon can get disarmed easily, though, in the quick time that I have to learn it. Do you perhaps have martial arts training?"

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Most certainly!" Aukon smiled. "The Dark Knights are trained in all forms of combat. Finding you an instructor will not be a problem. In fact, I'll do you one better. I can assign you a bodyguard who will train you until you can defend yourself to your satisfaction. Is that acceptable?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Whoh!

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

"You are most generous, Sir Aukon." Ssinith replied. "I will be on my way, then, to prepare for the Ascention. I have one last important errand to run at the Temple of Molten. Will I see you around mid Trade Tide, then?"

((This doesn't really say if this is early morning, so I assume that's enough time to get ready))

~S'sinith

NOMINATION

Post by Guest »

The youth let out one final sob, and when he looked to the Magus, he wiped his tears away and was refreshed. It felt almost as if the Magus had channeled all the fear and hate, all the negative emotion, out of him.

"Thank you, Magus," was all the Achadhiel could think to say to bring to words the appreciation he felt for his freedom, not from the mundane chains of his life of servitude, but from the chains of his own mind.

As the Achadhiel strode forward, in quick tow of the Magus, one could almost see a spring in Rylagh's step, as though a great weight had been lifted from his shoulders, ready to face whatever the future had in store for the Servant Boy Turned Magician. Or at least Apprentice Magician.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Ssinith

"We leave at the first mark of Eveningtide, Sorcerer." Aukon inofrmed him. "I will see you then."

Rylagh

"There is something you must know, Rylagh." The Magus announced. "There are three kinds of magick in this world. The first belongs to priests and their ilk and I have no more to say about it." The Magus turned his head and spit into the dust. "The second is sorcery as you would likely know the term. Powers summoned and harnessed by voice and gesture. Once more the Magus let his hand slip from the sleeve of his robe. Rylagh could see the muscles strain as the Magus moved his fingers. "My body no longer moves easily and my voice," He rasped and then fell silent. "I will not be teaching you sorcery." He said with finality.

"Then there is the third magick, Rylagh." The Magus said with reverence. "Never again will you have to rely on anything outside of yourself. Within you there is the potential for limitless power. A spark as I said. We shall fan the flames. It will be hard, Rylagh. The obstacles to power will be all your faults: lack of vision, your fears, your hopes, your loves. All will have to be faced and overcome. Everything that you are will become the power you wield, so the only road to more or deeper power will be to change yourself. Do you understand?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

"I think so, Magus. But I am willing to follow the path before me, no matter how difficult it proves to be.

"Magus, you said that we would be 'fanning the flames' of my inner spark. When I was a servant, sometimes I would fetch fuel so the other servants could stoke the fires for cooking and heating my... former master's bathwater. You said there would be obstacles, and I think that would be something like dealing with wet fuel. But one day I heard that one of the kitchen maids had been careless with tending the fires, and they got out of control. We eventually stopped the fire, but not before the maid had been very badly burned. Even with healing herbs, her pretty face was forever marred with disfiguring scars.

"Tell me, Magus: what happens if the fire within me goes out of control? What then?"
Last edited by Guest on Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Then you too will bear your scars, Rylagh." The Magus answered simply. "Only yours will be on your mind and soul. Rylagh as you know him would be forever lost and whatever remained I would put out of its misery." He said coldly.

"I do not offer you safety, Rylagh, but neither would I waste my time on you if I expected that to be your fate." The Magus went on. "We shall feed your fire slowly to be sure you can stand the heat." They had finally reached a far corner of the ten which was cut off from the rest by a drape of cloth, a tent within a tent almost. Only a pair of chairs and large book on a stone lectern was within. "Time for your first lesson Rylagh. The first step into a wider world. Close your eyes, Rylagh. Breath deeply. Focus on your chest rising and falling. Hear the air enter and leave. Slow down and pay attention to your body. How it feels. How it sits and moves. Every little pain and sensation. Teach yourself about you. Do you understand Rylagh? Concentrate until you feel you comfortable with yourself and then nod your head slowly."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Gulanadur Archive”