Rylas & Tayknot: The thief within

Moderator: Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Rylas & Tayknot: The thief within

Post by Maeve »

OOC: This is a private training thread taking place in between the two Gem threads. It will cnncentrate on several thieving skills.

IC: Busy as the duties on board the Lady Rose kept them, there was still leasure time at odd moments in the day. It was one of those moments that found Rylas and Tayknot on deck enjoying the Jygyst sun, with several fellow sailors lazying about. Some of the older hands had a few ropes they were mending, but it was for show only.

"I can open any door or chest within a burn or three," William Anderson, a young redheaded boy with freckles, bragged. Anothir Sealeaf, one of the few elves on board, with the characteristic blond hair and ice blue eyes, laughed "What good will it do you. If you take that long, you will be whisked away to the darkest dungeons while you are still figuring out the lock."
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

Rylas was on his way to the stern of the ship when he overheard the conversation between the two shipmates. The topic made him think of his own skill at lock picking. He could remember picking locks around his fathers store yahren ago just because he could, but he had never thought about how long it took him. If he ever urgently needed to get something unlocked, his fate would probably be similar to what the elf described...

Always looking to absorb information here or there, Rylas strode slowly closer to the two to listen in.
tanoshimi

Post by tanoshimi »

Tayknot was already there, when Rylas arrived. Just lingering and smoking his pipe, now openly listening to the boy's bragging.

The boast made him smile - it reminded him of a funny story concerning such activity. The halfling was no pro at feeling the lock himself, and he'd be happy to learn more - he only wondered if the boy was one to be teaching him.

Other things aside, the thieve's small hands were itching. He hadn't lifted anything in days, and today he was determined to get his hands on a loose pocket soon.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Anothir proceeded at length to lecture the youngster on his sillyness. The boy looked sullen, and unwilling to accept the wisedom of the experience. Finally the elf put down the rope he had been mending. "How about we sweeten the deal. I will teach you the fastest way to open a few basic chest locks. But in return, you gift me with an item out of the captains chest." The freckled boy wrinkled his nose, and looked about to refuse the offer.

Meanwhile Tayknot saw plenty of oppertunities. More and more people were concentrating on the elfs rant on picking locks, and thus losing their attention for their surroundings. There may not be rich pickings among sailors but there were plenty of pockets.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

Rylas was intrigued. While pilfering from the captain's chest sounded like a grand way to get thrown overboard, it would certainly be worthwhile to learn more about making one's own entrance into things...

Rylas crossed his arms over his chest and stepped closer to the center of the group, choosing over his words carefully. "Isn't that risky? To be sure, there isn't exactly anywhere to run to that doesn't end with one being eaten by sea creatures. Suppose you should get caught with this...gift?"
tanoshimi

Post by tanoshimi »

OOC: I don't know what Rylas is wearing and such, so I'll be a little vague.. but specific enough to get 'something done' I hope..(?)

IC:
Tayknot saw indeed that the opportunities began coming in, however what he wanted was a challenge and a laugh, not the loot itself.

As more onlookers crowded round, Tayknot scooched up closer to Rylas, as if trying to get a better view of the conversation. He scanned Rylas' pockets closest to him, with twinkling halfling thief eyes, and waited until a suitable occasion presented itself - someone behind him pushing to get closer or a rustle in the group.

It was then that he would slip his small hand into the desired pocket, bidding the palm to be swift and light as a feather, quickly retrieving whatever treasure it found and securing it under the halfling's cloak.

Other mischief aside, Tayknot wanted to see the deal unfold, as well.
BardicPup

Post by BardicPup »

The lad chuckled at Rylas's mention of going overboard. Don't worry so much, it doesn't befit a thief. Trust in yourself, and the good lady luck, and you'll be fine. I'm sure you'll find some 'reason' to be in the captain's quarters at some point. And with my teachings you'll be in and out before he is any the wiser. "

Will watched Tayknot's hand flick into Rylas's pocket and emerge with three lance. The movement had gone unnoticed by Rylas thanks to a bump from a passing crewman. Will silently indicated he wanted one of the coins in exchange for his silence in the matter.
tanoshimi

Post by tanoshimi »

Tayknot silently acknowledged the boy's demand. But he wasn't really planning on giving him any coin, because the money was in fact going back to Rylas. The halfling was just trying to think up a slightly spectacular way to do it.

He decided to handle it right away, before Will started throwing his mouth off, and the halfling would have to pay for his deed.
Assuming Rylas was a man rather conscious of his pockets' content, he would realize what happened, once the halfling rang the bell. The others, if bright enough, would get it too - and hopefully wouldn't take it too seriously.

"Rylas", Tayknot adressed him casually, "I think you might've dropped something", he said showing him the coins on an open palm. Tayknot smiled his crooked grin and added cynically, "I realize perhaps you're a carefree man, but that's no reason to throw your money around like that".
BardicPup

Post by BardicPup »

Will chuckles, dispite the fact he won't be getting any coins through blackmail. Young thieves often were a constant source of amusment. He waited for Rylas's reaction.

Post by Guest »

Rylas looked down, eyes narrowed at the halfling. Then, as he thought he understood what had just taken place, Rylas glared and snatched at the lances, but kept his silence.

It burned terribly to think that he had been caught unawares, even if only to the loss of three lances. It was three lances worth of flawing in his discipline, and he felt that he would have to remedy it somehow. Have to work on it, get sharper...

Grabbing his money pouch, he figured from now on he would have to keep a hand on it whenever he wasn't alone. He also began trying to think of a more secure place to keep his belongings when he was asleep...
tanoshimi

Post by tanoshimi »

Tayknot wasn't surprised at Rylas' visible irritation, but he hoped that his companion wasn't going to take it so hard.
Nonetheless pleased with his accomplished jest, the halfling nudged him and said, "s'allright lad. Don't get all sour. T'was only a joke. I snook a steal from you.. and you'd probably down me in a fair blade fight. So we're about even", he grinned.
"Now what's this about pickin' a chest?", Tayknot asked, a notch quieter.
Last edited by tanoshimi on Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BardicPup

Post by BardicPup »

Will grinned. Ah, the brotherhood of thieves, what a difficult, and rewarding, brotherhood. Those that claimed there were no friends among thieves did not understand the complexities of the brotherhood. It was like having a older brother that tortured you to no end, or a younger one that was always getting under your skin, but gods help the fool that stood against one, for the other would jump in in a second, all past forgotten, for the moment.

"Yes, the chest. Its in the captain's cabin, at the foot of his bed. It has a simple lock, simple for a thief like me, anyways. With my training, it should take no more than half a burn to open it. Mind you pick something nice, I'm not training you for a blanket, you know. "

Post by Guest »

Rylas, hand clamped around his pouch, looked down thoughtfully. His encounter had made him even mre skeptical than he had been. "Well, it seems strange to me that someone with a mastery of the art such as yourself would get someone else to do it anyway. You're sure to get something you want if you choose it yourself.

"Seems to me that it'd make a great story for your mates, how you pretended to teach some newblood some things then watched and laughed when they were skinned and cast from the ship for trying it out," Rylas said in a serious tone, without the usual mocking that could be expected in such a statement. In fact, if the idea didn't make him one of the targets, one could be misled in to thinking he was possibly suggesting the idea.
tanoshimi

Post by tanoshimi »

Tayknot was a little confused, thought he didn't show it of course. First some elf offered the boy a deal, now the boy was lecturing them..?

Anyway, he was becoming less interested in this game. No master at it, but Tayknot could pick a lock himself. He looked around at the spectators and others near - wondering if he would spot an attractive female, besides Guen of course. You just never know. And whatever happened to Captain.. Blood, was it? She was somethin'.

Tayknot remained to see how this would unravel, not really eager to get involved. Later, he wanted to challenge someone to a knife-throwing contest.
BardicPup

Post by BardicPup »

Will chuckles. "Come to think of it, thats not a bad idea. No, really, I offer that as a optoin of payment. I doubt you have anything of any interest to me to pay me with. Besides, money is cheap to a thief, its rare items that interest those that have mastered the art of pickpocketing even slightly. Its up to you if you want my training or not, but I don't want coins as payment. "
tanoshimi

Post by tanoshimi »

"Somehow I just don't know if this is worth the hassle, comrade", Tayknot stated plainly.
He shrugged and looked at Rylas, expecting commentary. "Y'all can do what you wish, I'll remain 'ere fer now.. I will try find a spot and practice my dagger throws."

"Anyone here good wit' slinging a blade?", Tayknot asked generally looking around, "I'll bet ya. Surely there's someone here who can outdo me..", the halfling grinned convinced that coin was always sure to convince someone.

Post by Guest »

"Well, I'm not yet convinced either way. We'll have to speak more in detail about what you do want for payment."

Rylas was very leery ofthe situation. It seemed too high risk for his taste, but it would be handy to learn more about lockpicking...
BardicPup

Post by BardicPup »

Tayknot's challenge peaked the curiousity of a passing female crew member. She made her way toward him with an easy step. "So, you think your something with throwing knives. Care to make a wager? How 'bout first to get three daggers within two inches of that door handle over there wins two lance? To make it more interesting, we both throw at the same time, from fifteen paces. You game? "

Will whispered to Rylas "It looks like details will have to wait. You skilled with a knife? Why don't you join the wager? I'm gona. "

That said, Will steps forward. "Mind if I join? Pool is one lance each, winner take all. "

Post by Guest »

Rylas shook his head. "No, I believe not," he said flatly. "I do not consider myself a...betting man."

Rylas stepped back to watch what he considered to be the ensuing nonsense. What is it with pirates and their egos? he thought, which placed a little smirk on his face.
tanoshimi

Post by tanoshimi »

Damn, fifteen paces.. That'll be a tough mark, he pondered as he looked at the female. If he she were an attractive one, Tayknot would look her in the eyes, and smile his half-smile. To him that was almost like an instinct.

"Make that two lance each", the halfling corrected, "though I don't know if we'll live to spend it", he said smiling as he took out his wager money.

Casually he positioned himself next to whoever else was in, took out his trusty dagger, weighed it properly in his hand and adjusted his grip. "Ready? On my go..".

The thief focused all his attention within that small space around the door handle. As always he relaxed slightly, but strained mentally to become one with the dagger and when he almost felt as if freeing it from his hand would be just like extending another limb, he said, "now!", and commited the throw".
BardicPup

Post by BardicPup »

The woman is quite attractive, by all but the most classy standards. A somewhat feral grin and her clothes the only things not appretated in finer circles. Tay's half smile elects a smirk in return. It seems it will take more then a lopsided grin to win her affection.

At Tayknot's command, three daggers flew towards the door. They flew in surprizing semetry, forming what could best be described as a perfect triangle around the handle. All three had struck within two inches, and Will looked surprized at the fact all three had flown so perfectly in relation to eachother, though he would never admit it. The woman simply reached for another dagger.
tanoshimi

Post by tanoshimi »

The halfling only smiled wider upon the woman's smirk. He relaxed after releasing his dagger and only chuckled at the outcome of throws, with a hint of surprise. "Well now..", Tayknot remarked under his breath.

He decided to follow the woman's lead and took out his smaller dagger. "Same routine?", he glanced at his rivals.

Tayknot judged his first throw as much better than he expected, so his confidence was up. This only boosted his focus.
BardicPup

Post by BardicPup »

The woman nodded, drawing a second dagger. Will also prepared, shifting his stance slightly. At Tayknot's command the daggers flew again, this time in a random pattern. Will's dagger struck just within the two inch marker, as did Tayknot's. The one dagger of interest, however, belonged to the woman. It had not only embedded itself within the two inches required to score, but also struck Will's last dagger, working it free of the wood and dropping down to the deck.

Will looked at his dagger on the floor, dumfounded. A moment later he was in animated discussion with the woman about the rules on such a throw.

Post by Guest »

Rylas was only half watching the contest, though he was surprised at Tayknot's proficiency.

Though when an agrument broke out between Will and the woman, he spoke up, if only to try to speed up the progress of the little game.

"Had the door been a man, or other real target, he would've been just as dead by Will's throw, so I say it still counts."
tanoshimi

Post by tanoshimi »

Tayknot stood arms akimbo, shaking his head in surprise. "Well I'll be..", he spoke quietly to himself.

He nudged the woman, breaking into their conversation, right after Rylas' comment. "I say both throws are good.. but two more lance says you can't do that again.. Hit your dagger and make it drop away like the last one, and all I've bet is yours", he grinned daringly, yet light-heartedly.

Return to “On the Water Archive”