Searching the docks ~ Teras, Samheen 24th

Moderator: Mods

Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Searching the docks ~ Teras, Samheen 24th

Post by Syrawenn »

Samheen 24th, tradetide

An abundance of sun played with the waves, turning them a pleasant gold for those who had the time to watch them rise and fall. Merrily decorated vessels danced lazily with the Mer de la Luna on one side of the docks whereas workmen on the other side were loading and unloading, burdening their precious ships until they danced no more.

The salty air mingled with that of a well populated city, waking up to the sound of seagulls and rolling carts. Some people watched the smooth merchant vessel sail in. Most simply continued with what they were payed to do.

Rising slowly from the villagechurch to the citywalls Roque d'Ancourt presented herself, further up to splendid houses shimmering in the last whiffs of the mist and disappearing in a line of trees at the most upper levels. Clearly built on plateaux the long forgotten -but well visited- city presented a picture of wealth and abundance...

If one was to forget the simple life of the workers down below.

Admittedly: they were easy to overlook as Teras and Nazife had their own things to do. It had been an easy road back through the gates and down the road to the docks. With a citizen of Roque d'Ancourt with him, Teras was not questioned once why he would leave the city so soon and was even greeted cordially by one of the armoured guards. A reply from Nazife explained the man was a friend of her father's.

Once surrounded by busy men and wondrous ships the girl sighed. "If only he had told me the name of the ship! Where would one start...search every captain of every ship seems a bit...overdone, don't you think?"

With eight ships being loaded, six obviously here for pleasure and two on the side it was going to be an interesting job.
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities

Post by Guest »

<p>The sea..the sea. That was the only thing that Teras could see for long moments as he strolled with the young las not to far away from him. He was aware of why he was here, yes, and he was at least trying to keep his eyes on the area around him, looking out for signs of trouble as he was suppose to be doing. The fact that he had a beautiful woman beside her, one with new mysterious swirling around her since the incident at the gates of the city. He did'nt question her though. His eagerness to get down to the docks for the first time in was too much a part of him to talk. <p>It was'nt until he had breathed in the rich salt air and heard the voice next to him, one seemingly full of consern and uncertainty that he let himself be satifyed for the moment, the sea was..well it was'nt going anywhere to be sure, just like all the other wonders of the world he planed to behold before his dying day.<p>The young man turned a bright smile in Nazife's direction as he looked from her to the area around him. A moments consideration and he gave a soft intake of breath, an idea already formulating in his mind.<p>"It seems to be, that the city would have 'someone' in charge of this place. If they went so far as to take my name and business as I entered and write it down for record keeping if nothing else, I suspect they would do the same for the ships, and hopfuly those aboard. I don't know 'who' to ask but, certainly we should find that person who serves as the clerk of this place? It will be worth asking them about your friend, maybe they know his ship, its due date or reason for delay. Better, he might have left word for you with them, in one way or another."<p>He pauses then, eyes scanning the area, clearly he was happy to get started as soon as possible, there had to be someone around here who looked like those whom he had greeted and spoke too at the gates.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Some of the ships simply had to be for show alone, completely decorated with colourful ribbons and strategically placed lanterns that might light the ship up like a faerytale in the dark. Well-carved mermaids and birds in flight fought for a place in the wooden decorations, matched by exotic names and markings.

"Oh my..." Nazife stared at those festive ships, following the merry people who went on and off the boat with some envy. From the hungry looks on some of the gentlemen going on board one might conclude other business than a simple look around, but of course the girl was not going to breach that particular subject.

Other vessels were clearly seaworthy, much more plain although well cared for. There was a bit of a fuss at the 'Lady Rose' where a drunk was obviously getting the better of a young sailor of sorts. Yet it seemed to end fairly quickly with the sailor walking away and starting his chores.

"I don't think we should interfere there." The girl gulped, staying half a pace behind Teras. Her eyes were most definitively not on the Mer de la Luna, despite all it's wet splendour. "But you're right: they would keep records here as well. Maybe I could ask at the gates and you could find the harbour master around here? Surely if people payed their docking fees there should be a central person or place? Oh God, I have lived all my life in Roque and haven't set foot here before! Isn't that silly?"

The girl was obviously aiming to get behind the safety line with the people she knew at the gates, hoping Teras was going to explore the actual docks. She was not at ease in this altogether different world.

In the meantime Teras' observant scan gave him a few options, his eyes making out several well-dressed men who handled themselves with such ease as if they owned the very harbour. Two of them were actually in a discussion, using heavy hand gestures to make their point. The third was walking up and down the planks, hands behind his back while surveying the crowd.

Post by Guest »

Teras gave a slight shake of his head at the young womans reaction. "Come now, you've been waiting for your young lover all this time, a bit of uncomfortableness must be worth seeking him out eh?" He gives her his best encourageing grin before giving a soft nod of his head. "If you truely wish to headback though, I will do my best to find your young gentlemen for you, or news of him, but you would be the best one to give his name, what he looks like that sort of thing. And if he 'did' leave a message for you, it will just require me to come back to get you, don't you want to get this over with?" <p>This done Teras looks around him, he studys the layout of the place, a soft shake of his head. "I get the feeling a number of the boats never leave dock, except when someone decides to raid them for the den's in ininquity they seem to me to be.." He sighs a bit. He did'nt have anything against such places himself, indeed had he known he might have even gone into one just to say he had but, in the eyes of a lady..well one had to act proper now did'nt they? He tryed his best to make his sudden distaste seem real, quickly changing the subject. "And I think I see whom we need now anyhow."<p>He did his best to get her to come with him, trying to snatch the young girls hand before she could change her mind and run off he strolled over towards the man walking the planks surveying the crowd. He raises his hand in greeting then, calling out as he does so. "Excuss me, good Sir! Could I perchance get a moment of your time? We are looking for someone and could use a bit of help finding him."
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

The girl had the decency to blush again. "I apologize. We barely met and already I'm trying to get you to do the work for me. You're right. I'll come with you."

Nazife took a deep breath, looked at the arguing sailors on the Lady Rose and shook her head. "His name is Leonard, Leonard Mattin. He's about...well, I think he's a bit older than you. Blond curls, brown eyes." A smile took her face from insecure to beaming again. "About your height, maybe a bit shorter. Oh wait!" She laughed.

"You meant I should give the description to the man in charge! Sorry! I'm being a bit silly right here." She squeezed his arm in an apology and kept walking next to Teras while he made his way to what might just be the harbourmaster. She discreetly ignored the entire bit about the pleasureboats, shuffling her feet in discomfort as they got closer.

The fighting sailor on board cast several looks at Nazife, none of which she acknowledged.

The older man looked up. "Young sir? How might I be able to be of assistance? You're looking for one of the men here?"

"No," Nazife hurriedly interrupted. "Perhaps not here. His name is Leonard Mattin and he was supposed to dock here some time ago."

"Hmm. Ship's name?" Dark eyebrows shot up.

"I don't know..." The girl hesitated. "I know it was not a pirate ship or anything!" She hastened to assure both men.

"Well...first of all, name is Farnon. Talks easier." The man grinned and offered his hand in greeting. "Follow me, you two, let's see what the logs have to say." And after the introductions he walked towards a little building, allowing them to enter.

The wooden shelter housed a sturdy chest, which the man opened to get out one of the heavy books stored in there. "Let's see..." He said, getting a pair of spectacles out of his pocket. "Mattin, Leonard....not the captain, I reckon?"

Nazife shook her head with a shy laugh. Farnon nodded, chuckling. "Gathered as much, or you would have known the ships name. Hmmm...not that long ago? Let's see...Samheen...."

Dutifully the man went down the rows of names and dates.

In the meantime the row outside only seemed to intensify, one of the sailors actually leaving the ship. Nazife was not paying attention.

"Got him. Yes, he came in at Samheen 14th. Ship called 'Selene'. Trader's vessel. Hasn't left port, it seems. Yes, it's still there. You see?"

At the confirmation the girl jumped, grabbing Teras' arm. Yet at hearing the date her shoulders slumped again, disappointment obvious on her face. "That long?" She whispered.

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt Archive”