The Task [Draydis TT 25th]

Moderators: Syra, Mods

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

"It was Kormus that ordered the heads to be put on the walls. He is the general of the Thorns...a group that was until just recently allied with the demoness against the adhiel. He is a very cruel and immoral man. He put the heads on the walls despite the rest of us telling him not to. To me, it is not an honorable thing to do to the bodies of your enemy."

He listened with interest to the information about the Red Orc clan. "You suppose the Red Orc clan would have an interest in helping to destroy the demoness? I have had a significant bad history with orcs myself, but if the follow the Mother, then they are my allies." It suddenly hit Dray that he had just said what he did. It surprised him so much that he was silent for a while before speaking again.

"Perhaps we could visit them while the Master Smith is working on the sword." The guardsman continued to scan the woods for signs of trouble. He all but ignored the insults and rudeness of the faerie. It would be of no use to provoke her or try to change her, as it would only make it worse or make her leave.
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

She stopped and turned to look at Draydis. “Cruel and immoral? Who are you to take the high ground?” She asked fluttering close to him. “That is right bloody hypocritical of you isn’t it. She told me of your hate for orcs. Have pretty necklace of their teeth still?” She shrugged. “So quick to pass judgment on those who do not do as you would do, you ass?

She arched a brow. “I would think you would be happy to see orcs treated so badly. My concern would be if you could contain yourself around the Red Eyes. After all, I think your sister may be someplace in their tribe.” She turned and fluttered away continuing on her way. “You really think you are ready for what the Mother wants of you?”
Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis said nothing as the faerie scolded him. As she flew away, he reached into the pouch at his belt and pulled out the necklace of orc tusks. Many memories coursed through his mind immediately. The rememberance of his family, the orc attack, and even his imprisonment all raced through his mind. It was then that he realized that even he was guilty of holding on to hate.

He tossed the necklace to the ground and began to dig a small hole with his long knife. Once the hole was complete, he put the necklace within and covered it with dirt. "Perhaps if you would not be so quick to judge yourself you'd understand more. I don't need that reminder of the death of my family anymore. I have moved past the point of revenge...I have a new family to protect now, and hate will only weaken me."

He thought for a moment and then continued. "I told Kormus to not put the heads on the wall, as it would only provoke our enemy to the point where they would become an even stronger force to deal with. I know that carrying that necklace put me in the same category as well. I've grown a lot since the day when I put it together...even though I'm sure you don't understand."

He looked around at the woods surrounding them. "You are quick to write me off. I think that I could just surprise you about many things...after all, I've put up with your jaded comments so far. If you feel the need to test me, let's find the Master Smith so he can get started on the sword, and then take me to the orcs. If they are as you say they are, we will have no problems with them."

For a moment then, the guardsman knelt over the small mound of dirt covering the teeth of his enemies of the past. He closed his eyes and prayed. ~Mother, forgive me for bearing these symbols of hate. I now attempt to walk along a path which would make you proud. Though the orcs in my past acted as they did, allow their souls to rest and find peace.~

He then stood and looked at the faerie...waiting for her to continue leading them towards the smith.
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

She shrugged. “If you say you have, I guess you have, asshat.”

She kept moving through the day, stopping near a stream come sunset. She sat down on some branches that were shaping to make a small hammock like bed. “You are not so bad, I mean for a young one. I mean you have a lot to learn, but then anyone your age does.”

He leaned back and pulled out some dried fruit from a small sack on her side. “So, you think you can beat this demon? Then what will you do about Dominicus?”

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

As the day wore on, Draydis began to keep an eye out for anything that he could eat. The faerie said that enemies would possibly be about, so he knew a fire would be too much of a risk. So berries and plants would have to make due for the night. As he collected them, they went into the pouch at his belt...he hoped that the pouch would be full by the time they stopped for the night.

The faerie surprised him with the compliment she gave. "Thank you. I know I have much to learn, but I'm hoping that my journey to become a better follower of the Mother will help me to lead better in the future. There have been many mistakes made by myself and my people. I'm hoping that we can learn from them and cease harming the world around us. I just hope my people are not too proud to admit that they could learn from others."

As they stopped, and settled down for the night, Draydis pulled out the collection of food he had managed to scavenge during the day. He gave some thought to the question posed by his companion.

"A few days ago, much to the surprise of the demoness, I was able to put an arrow into an image of her. I know that it was the Mother blessing my shot, but with the Mother keeping watch over us, I do believe we can stop the demoness. I know she leads a terrible army, and I know that even if we do win, another war will shortly follow. Against Dominicus, I believe we will be harder pressed to achieve victory...but I have faith." He smiled at the faerie and thought for a moment longer. "The forces from King's Court and the adhiels were allies for many yahren. A series of misunderstandings has now destroyed that alliance. I'd like to think that it could be rebuilt if both sides were able and willing to understand each other again. It seems like it is a senseless war..."

The guardsman trailed off and began to eat his food. He knew that two wars being fought so close together would not be good for the adhiels. "We need more allies in these wars..."

He then remembered the holy symbols found after the orc attack as the adhiels reached their new home. "There were some orcs that carried the holy symbols of the Mother that attacked our people when we reached our new home." He thought for a moment. "I was not there, so perhaps it was our side who were the first aggressors..."
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

The little creature simply laid back and closed her eyes, her body glowed in the darkness of the night. “Well, mother-fuckers, the lot of them. I would not want an alliance with a bunch or dick-brained humans. You ask me, your alliance should be kept at a liberal arms distance, and keep them out of the forest.”

The night carried on, the darkness coming almost as soon as the sun slipped away as if it was all to willing to claim this woods. In the distance sounds could be heard, moaning and wailing as if a person were being slowly tortured. Words only half made out in the distance, as if you listened hard enough you could know what they were saying, but the harder you listened, the less you understood.

Everything felt different, the forest was colder, the air thicker. The little light of his guide faded a little as she went to sleep. The hair on the back of Draydis’s neck stood up, this was a dangerous place, not like the wilds out in the world. This forest was alive, and aware, it knew he was here, and it was watching.

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

"Perhaps you are right. They so easily turned from our alliance to begin with." He smiled. The communication with the faerie was becoming easier, and it seemed as if he was slowly beginning to understand her.

The tiny creature then went to sleep. It was peaceful as her soft glow faded into the night, but that was quickly replaced by a tension brought about seemingly by the forest itself. Draydis pulled one of his long knives from its scabbard and knelt in the center of their camp. He carefully drew a holy symbol of the Mother into the ground, knowing that his faith was one of the only comforts he would have on this journey. The Avatar was right...it did seem as if he was travelling alone into battle.

A slow walk around the perimeter of the camp helped to ease his nerves somewhat. He knew not what was within the forest, but something alive was definitely out there. His hands traced the length of the bladed staff as he walked. Many fights had been won with a similar weapon, and it was beginning to feel more comfortable in his hands.

As Draydis walked, his eyes scanned the forest. He did not know if the faerie would wake to keep a watch as he slept, so the adhiel kept an eye out for a safe place where he could sleep in hiding and relative safety.

Thoughts went through his mind of the Avatar's statement of him returning successfully and being a paladin of the Mother. Draydis thought about the responsibilities and what that title meant. It would mean a change in his thinking, his duties, the way he treated others, and even how he approached his position as commander of the Guard. A smile crossed the face of the guardsman. He looked forward to the comfort that would surely be had at the shroud of protection his faith would lend him when he attained that position. It would be good to serve as an example for others and to help them grow in faith of their own.

The circles around the camp continued...continually searching for the danger unseen and unknown...

DMD Member since 2005
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Draydis watched the forest, the feeling of eyes on him growing more and more intense as he grew more and more wary. He found a safe place to rest, the tree was to his back, and large roots rose up on either side of him, hiding him from anything but a direct assult.

As he sat there, thinking and pondering the words of the Avatar he saw it. A shadow in the shadows. Blackness that was slightly darker then the darkness that surrounded it. Then the eyes flashed, large and bright, catching the moonlight for just a flicker, what little filtered through the trees. It was moving closer, hunched low and smelled of death, now that Draydis could pick up the smell. Deep inside, the very primal part of him wanted to run, to scramble up the tree, “GET OUT OF HERE!” it screamed in his head. His training could keep his feet from fleeing.

“What prey is this that sits so ready for the kill?” A growling voice asked him from the darkness. “What meal does not give me the honor of the chase, are you so sick, or so old you cannot run?”

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

The sick feeling that Draydis had in his gut was confirmed when the figure approached and spoke. Though his instincts were probably right to encourage his body to run, his training and more importantly, his faith, told him that he could fight.

Before answering the rhetoric presented to him, Draydis spoke silently first to the Mother. ~I was sent on this mission to find a blade that could assist my people in defeating the demoness that ruins these woods. If it is my purpose to do so, I know you will give me the strength and wisdom to persevere. I serve only you, and my faith is absolute. In dark times such as this, I know your loving eyes watch over me. Shrouded in my faith, it is now that I ask for the ability to fight. Alone I will not survive, but with you guiding me, I know I will live to see another sunrise.~

Draydis studied his opponent as it approached in the darkness. It moved as nothing else he had ever fought, and it spoke as if it were a master hunter. As far as he knew, the faerie still slept and was unaware of the danger. He finally spoke to the enemy in the darkness. His words were strong and loud, as Draydis hoped the faerie would hear them and be alerted to the presence of the creature.

"I know not how I taste, though I would reckon that I am a bit on the crunchy side. I would also like to warn you that I had some bad food for breakfast, and I'm a bit gassy. Maybe you could eat me tomorrow...I'm sure that I'd settle much better on your stomach then. Besides, I'm a screamer."

His hand tightened slightly on the bladed staff, reassuring himself that the weapon rested by his side. He had known that the woods contained danger when he had found his resting place, so the weapon had yet to leave his hand. A quick move of his arm would bring the tip to bear and it could be used to impale an enemy should they charge. However, it was never wise to fight from a prone position. Unfortunately, this creature had gotten the drop on him. To win the day, he would have to be clever.

"How about you get out of the Mother's forest and I will allow you to live. Unless you'd prefer live out your afterlife knowing you became a codpiece. I just hope that your stench could be scrubbed off."

The creature was likely highly intelligent, and Dray knew that if he could taunt it into a fury, it would be more likely to make a mistake. He prepared for the attack, but hoped for additional time to parlay. His ears were kept sharp for sounds of additional combatants who would enter the fight. The guardsman hoped that he would face only this one opponent tonight. If the creature would charge, Dray could set the bladed staff against the base of the tree and let his enemy impale itself. From there, the roots of the tree would block his escape, so he would be committed to the melee.

It was then that Draydis allowed his fear to bleed through the confident appearance he was trying to maintain. If the beast saw him as being fearful, it might also give the aspiring paladin an opportunity to take advantage of a mistake....hopefully the dark creature would be a bit more careless if it knew that its prey appeared to not be a great challenge...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

There was a deep feral growl from the creature as it started to pace side to side, watching Draydis as he spoke. “This forest is my own. My Mother needs killers as well as healers.” It sniffed a few times. “You do not smell foul like the goblins and others of the dark forces at work on my home. But you do not smell like one of the true folk, like Little Bud over there.” He sniffed a few more times.

“You are adhiel. What are you doing so deep in the forest?” He asked softly. He turned, looking at the sleeping faerie. “She took you on this path? Trust her not to warn you of me.” The eyes moved back to look at Darydis. “Not many truly understand the fullness of the Mother and all she commands. This forest is a place of life and of death. For those who cross the Mother, they find me on their trail.” The creature stepped closer until Draydis could see him. The head was that of a wolf, and the body was like a man, but covered in a thick grey fur. Two silvery eyes studied him, flickering with the moonlight. He wore a loincloth and a half dozen spears lifted from a quiver like pack on his back, the tips jutting just over his shoulder. “I am the Howler. Who are you, prey?” He asked. “And why are you in this forest?”

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis slowly stood as the Howler paced back and forth. He left the bladed staff on the ground by his feet. As it spoke to him, he relaxed a bit...but was still uncertain about his relative safety. "As you know, there is a demon in these woods that is bent on destroying all we know...even the Mother's tree has been attacked. I was sent on a mission by the Avatar, and after praying to the Mother for guidance, Little Bud appeared and has been guiding me since." It struck him strange how the Howler spoke of the faerie. "Is the path upon which I am traveling the correct one?" He studied the creature in front of him as if attempting to ascertain the truth.

After a reply was given, the adhiel continued. "I know not why the demon is here, or why she seeks to destroy the forest and the adhiel, but I do know that I will fight with every ounce of skill and life that I have to stop her."

As the wolf-creature stepped nearer, Dray had to actively force himself to stand firm and not show fear. Though the creature appeared to serve the Mother, he was imposing all the same. "I am Draydis Quinn D'Anorre, but some call me Wolf. I am questing to become a paladin so I may better serve the Mother and protect those that follow Her."

He studied the Howler for a moment and then continued. "I know that my path with the Mother is still new, and I have much to learn. With the present dangers in our woods, I understand that now is the time for me to act as the sword of the Mother instead of the shield. If it is the destruction of her enemies that She commands, I am happy to engage those that stand against Her. I pray that She continues to accept me as one of her own so I may dutifully continue to serve." The Howler's speaking of the darker aspects of the Mother fully intrigued the adhiel warrior. "Can you tell me more about how you serve the Mother? Perhaps we are more alike than what readily appears. Would you be willing to teach me what you know?"
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

“Paladin is such a human word.” He said in a growling guttural voice. “I would use the word Champion.” He sniffed. “Are you on the right trail, the correct path. The path through these woods are not for those who would question where they go. I think the question you need answered is, are you sure you are doing what you need to do.”

He looked over at Little Bud. “She knows these woods better then any in them. She will lead you true, if you can stand her bitter mouth.” He made a sound that could have been a laugh, if a laugh sounded more like a growl.

He looked at Draydis. “You want to travel with me, to learn from me. Do you really think you could keep up?” He challenged the adhiel standing before him. “If you think you could come with me, you are welcome to. Remember though, if you start on this hunt, there will be no turning back, Champion of the Woods.”

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis listened to the words of the Howler. Though he just appeared to be a beast, his words indicated that he possessed great wisdom. "I believe Champion does sound more accurate of what the Avatar told me of my responsibilities. As for doing what I need to do, you are right. I know the Mother listens to me when I ask for Her help...I just do not know yet if I am doing all I can to serve Her. I do not however even begin to doubt that I am following the right path."

Draydis chuckled at the joke uttered by his new acquaintance. "She has a good heart, I believe. I am beginning to understand more about faith. I must admit that I've been plenty guilty about judging others before by mere appearances. I am starting to learn that allies and enemies are not known merely by their appearance."

He shrugged at the thought. "Speaking of that, what do you know of the orcs that follow the Mother? I fear that the adhiel might have crossed them as we moved to our new city, and many died on both sides. I'd hate to think that the adhiel were the aggressors, but the more I think about it, the more I think that is how things went down." He shook his head, looking a bit sad, "I just hope that my people are ready to accept those that are different as allies. If not, I fear we have already lost the war."

Dray looked over at Little Bud. "She guides me towards a destination that I must still reach. I seek out an individual that can help to bring about the destruction of the demoness. The Avatar gave me this mission, so I must hold true to her command. If I go with you now, I will need to be back when Little Bud wakes so I can continue with my mission. Perhaps I could travel with her during the day and hunt with you during part of the night? I do not know how many days I can keep up with the limited amount of sleep that I would get, but my goal is to learn all I can about serving the Mother, and I know she will lend me strength where mine begins to fail."

He hoped that he had understood the Howler's words. If he had assumed correctly, the Howler was an assassin or something of the like for the Mother. Though Draydis knew of the love and kindness of the Mother, it was the darker aspects that were of true interest to him. He was a warrior...and he had tasted the life of a killer when he traveled through King's Court on the way home from finding Princess Elevie; and he was good at it. The Avatar's words of Draydis joining her to destroy the enemies of the Mother followed this thought as well. Draydis would be the sword of the Mother. He enjoyed the challenge...the hunt. He smiled. Where he would be a terrible enemy to those that he was not sworn to protect, he would also continue to be a shield for those that followed the Mother. There was balance to it all...even in the darker aspects of the Mother. At this moment, Draydis began to understand how a loving Goddess could be so even in times of war. To best protect those that She loved, sometimes a bit of blood had to be spilled. To the tattooed adhiel, he knew this was his path. The Mother's love would give him control where other assassins were merely unrestrained killers.

The student of the woods then bent over to pick up his bladed staff and held it in one hand in a non-threatening manner. He focused his thoughts on drawing in and focusing his energy. It had been a long day, and he knew that only by an act of will and faith could he travel during the night as well. Some sleep would need to be had, but for now, his duty to the Mother was to learn at every opportunity he had.

The commander then smiled a sly smile at the Howler. "I know that the Mother is teaching me how to walk along the path of enlightenment in her world. I have seen much about Her love...but I know there is need for other means. I believe I have certain aptitudes that would allow me to serve Her as both a shield and a sword. So far, I have made every effort possible to be a shield to those that follow the Mother. But with the enemies that enter Her woods, I know I must now become something more...something more dangerous. I know the Mother has darker aspects to her, and it is upon that path that I want to travel. To that end, if you'd teach me...let's hunt. Just give me a moment." He gave the Howler a slight bow out of respect. There was much to learn, and he opened his mind and body to receive anything that would be taught.

Draydis wanted to make sure that he was following the path the Mother wanted him to travel upon. Something twitched in his gut as suddenly all the events of the past few days came together. The woods had never before been dangerous, yet soon after the Mother's tree had been corrupted, it was now a dangerous place. Even the Avatar had seemed to change...she had told him to be prepared for war, yet he knew if he had fought the Howler, he would probably not have survived. And the Howler himself...seemed to emit evil...his smell, his appearance, his mannerisms. What of the words the Howler spoke of the faerie. How Dray should not trust her to warn him of the Howler? Draydis attempted to calm his thoughts and focus on the Mother. He needed her guidance to make sure that these thoughts of mistrust were not leading him astray. ~Mother. I ask you now to provide a path to me. It is only you that I seek to serve. The world is full of corruption now, and many things are not clear to me. I ask you now to guide me so I do not stray from your path and fall from grace. I will do as you bid.~ He then opened his mind and listened...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Syra
The Chocolate Game Designer

Post by Syra »

AaaaaooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOW

The cry vibrated through body and soul, touching fears and nightmares instilled on every child by their well-meaning parents. It came from the left, no, the right. It echoed between the trees and hit the nightsky. Rustling all around Draydis signalled little Bud retreating quickly where she could not be found by the source of that agonized cry. Howler growled, his canines showing as he squinted his eyes.

His head snapped up as he answered the howl with one of his own. Where the former had sounded pained, this was the clear call of a hunter. Immediately the forest fell silent. A soft breeze tried to hide between the branches, a waft of the wild quickly evaporating before it could be named.

"YOU!" Howler jerked his head back to Draydis. "That one is not mine. Remember what we talked about. Remember appearances can deceive...but can also speak the truth more clear than a thousand words." He jumped into the undergrowth. "The hunt is yours." The wolf's words reached the man while he took off at great speed, leaves swinging shortly where he'd touched them.

Silence again.
Alone.

AaaaaooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOW

Not quite alone.
Last edited by Syra on Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[size=75]Chocolate is not an addiction, it is a way of life.

[/size]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

All the hairs on his body stood on end. Never before had Dray heard such sounds. It was exciting, terrifying, happy, sad, and a multitude of other emotions all at once.

Remembering his prayer that was given just moments before the howl, the tattooed adhiel managed to pull together his thoughts and emotions. A slight chuckle came from the commander, ~Mother, I hope that's your doing, as the message is loud and clear on this end.~ "You are so going to have to teach me how to make that sound," he said to the Howler; low enough for only present company to hear. A wicked smile was flashed on his face. Those that know Draydis would know a plan was in the works.

It was time to hunt...it was time to prove his faith...it was time to earn his rank. If the other wolf creature was anything like the Howler, this would be his greatest challenge ever. Armor was in place, weapons were all at the ready. Now for the plan...

Within an instant, he decided to use one of his favorites. The Howler had made mention of something that gave the adhiel warrior his inspiration. Leaning heavily on his bladed staff, as if it were now a walking cane, Dray hobbled in the opposite direction of the echoed sound. He remembered from his childhood learning to hunt from his father that the origin of sound could be traced if you went in the opposite direction from where the echo comes. Though he faked being lame, walking with a limp and holding one of his arms close to his chest, Dray was prepared. His senses were on high alert, and he was ready to strike with ruthless efficiency at the enemy he now hunted.

Though he appeared to be the Prey as the Howler had originally named him, Draydis was indeed the Hunter. Dray was the Wolf.

Before the guardsman left the camp, he spoke out quietly in the direction where he thought the faerie had gone. "Be well, my friend. I will be back in the morning." He then went on in the direction where he thought he could find his opponent.

As he walked through the woods, he did so in a manner that would indicate he was scared. He looked about in all directions, as if he were nervously trying to determine the source of the threat. His movements were as quiet as possible, but he tried to make it look like he was hurrying, despite how injured he acted. He twisted his face into a look of pain, growing more intense every time he took a step. In all, it was a ruse that he hoped would draw out his opponent and force them to make a mistake. ~Just one mistake...just one opening.~

The woods were dangerous, and Draydis immediately remembered many lessons his father had given to him as a child. How to walk to reduce sounds, how to spot prey among the thick coverage of the woods, how to smell the air to determine if something else was about, and how to let your non-visual senses help when on the hunt. The bow strapped across his back was the only possession he had that belonged to his father, and it was a constant memory of the bond they once shared. Somehow it seemed appropriate that at this time Dray and his father's bow were once again on the hunt.

As memories of his youth ran through the guardsman's mind, he focused his thoughts on the image of his father. A face full of kindness, yet one that could turn equally stern when Draydis had made a mistake. 'Mistakes are only made once, my son.', his father would tell him. It seemed much more true now than it did when they were merely hunting rabbits or searching for berries.

~Father, now I hunt once again. I seek an enemy that I may not recognize. I hunt them without knowing if my cause is true to the Mother's wish. My faith in Her grows only stronger by trying times such as they are these days. I thank you for the skill you imparted upon me, and I wish that I had only learned sooner so I may have been able to save you and the rest of my family. I hope you have found rest now, and that you forgive me for my inability to act. You are missed, and I will carry you with me always. If you are watching over me, as I hope you are, know that I live by the lessons and morals that you taught me.~ His thoughts paused for a moment, as if searching for just the right words. ~I know you will help to guide me through the rest of my days, and I look forward to the day that we can once again be reunited.~

At the end of his mental conversation, Draydis felt better. It was as if a burden had been lifted from him. He realized that he had been carrying around the weight of painful memories caused my him not being able to say goodbye to his family. Strange how in these dangerous woods, where he was on the hunt for an unknown enemy that he would have the opportunity to do what he had needed to do for such a long time. Where hate had once been present, patience was slowly starting to build. Where rage had once been ready to consume his actions, wisdom was ready to take its place. Though it had all happened inside his mind, Draydis suddenly felt stronger...more able.

Remembering that his ruse was to draw out his enemy, Draydis began to cough and wheeze a bit. He wanted whatever it was to think that he was becoming so crippled that its guard would be lowered considerably. He hoped that his opponent would forget to remember that an injured animal is often the most dangerous...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:07 am, edited 4 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Syra

Post by Syra »

However closeby as the howl had sounded before, right now all was silent again, save Draydis himself. No matter how silent his practiced body moved through the undergrowth, right now even a heartbeat sounded too loud. Nightbirds held their breath while the hunters stalked the forest. They would not get caught up in the fight that might ensue.

Crrrack!

To the left!
Quickly a porcupine scurried out of the way. Nothing else moved.

Clouds obscured the shining beacons in the sky for a few burns. The darkness grew more intense as the trees drew together in clusters. Their foliage would shield most of the forestgrounds from any rain that might fall, yet right now all it did was keep any of the residual light from reaching Draydis' path. His other senses ready to take over there was a faint smell of sweet water in the air, too cold and steady to be the prelude to rain. Earthy moss mingled with the scent of the wild as the Adhiel moved on.

It was a strange combination to want to hide and stealth while playing the wounded creature. Since his plan was to draw the creature in, his body leaned towards a little deliberate clumsiness in his steps, making more noise than a hunter would prefer.

Krrrrrrrt

Something in the branches!
An offended chirping revealed the small woodowl hiding between the leaves. It clapped it's wings a few times to appear considerably larger than it was and went back to spying.

Sniff....sniff....

The scent of wet hair.

Rrrrrwwwll

A low grumble, vibrating right through the ground.
The owl took off.

Hrrmpff...

Circling...

[/size]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray continued to hobble forward for a moment, and then stopped. He clutched at his chest as if pain was hitting him with renewed force. A gasp for air sounded from the guardsman, and he remained where he was...trying to catch his breath.

He knew that the creature was out there. It was stalking him...circling him. The ruse was working, and his opponent thought it was the hunter. It was toying with the guardsman...watching...looking for the best time to strike.

Dray let his non-visual senses take over for his eyes. He stared at the ground and focused on what he heard and smelled. Trying to spot his opponent with his eyes in the darkness would be all but futile, and would also alert them that Dray was not nearly as harmless as he appeared.

This was the place where the stand would be made. He appeared to be wounded. He gave the impression that he was physically exhausted to the point that he could not go on. The weight of his body was leaning heavily on the staff he carried in one hand...the other still held close against his chest as if it were broken.

Remembering the night when the demon dogs attacked Taloh, and Draydis became blinded, he remembered how he was able to listen to his enemies and determine roughly where they were located. With faith in his skills and the protective eye of the Mother, Dray allowed his eyes to close once again. He focused on the sounds of the forest around him. The animals fleeing told him where his enemy was likely at...they were fleeing from the fight that would happen soon. Every single sound was recorded in his memory of how the woods appeared to him before he closed his eyes. He created a mental picture of the woods...every sound changing that picture slightly.

He remained casual, as if not knowing there was a threat in the area. To any watching him, he wanted to appear oblivious to the danger...he was just resting during a trip back from a fight in which he did not fare well.

Inside he was smiling. The Howler was right. Sometimes an appearance was truly deceiving. He hoped that his plan would prove that he was in fact more dangerous than he had appeared...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Syra

Post by Syra »

Sniff...sniff...

No blood.
No sweat.

Sniff...sniff...

No fear!

"Rrrrrrrrrrwl...HRRRgrr..."

Trap.
Man trap.
Eager. Hunter.

A snarl on it's face as it made it's final circle.

Better prey.
Easy prey.

It moved away, disappointed.[hr][/hr]Sight did not matter anymore. Other senses took over completely, Draydis' skin extremely sensitive under the sensation of moving air. The scent of the wild became hauntingly strong for a few flickers.

Sniff...sniff...

And it moved away, it's motion touching the hunter's skin ever so slightly.

Sniff...sniff..."Rrrrrrrrrrwl...HRRRgrr..."

A difference in the growl, no longer menacing but...shocked?

Immediately the eerie feeling of being watched disappeared together with the strong smell of dog's hair.

Leaves whispered.
Silence.

[/size]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

It came closer...closer...its smell permeated the air. Its presence was felt on his skin. The guardsman held his position...fearless...knowing that he in fact was the hunter and not the prey. He appeared weak and injured, but he was coiled as the serpent; ready to strike with deadly precision. And then it happened...

His enemy went away.

With eyes still closed, Draydis listened to the leaves. They were tell-tale signs of where the wolf creature passed and how fast it was leaving. He had learned how important it was to ignore the deceit that his eyes would have given and instead really listen to the world around him with his other senses.

Draydis remembered the words of the Howler. 'that one is yours.' He could not fail. He had asked to be shown the ways of the hunter, and it was his task. Failure would not be looked upon kindly, the adhiel speculated.

With a sudden change in posture, the hunter turned towards the direction where his opponent last made any sounds. His eyes flashed open, their cold color barely visible in the darkness of the woods. He secured the bladed staff in its holder on his back, and readied his bow. The many days of hunting lessons with his father came to mind once again. He remembered how his father had first taught him how to hold the weapon, how to aim at his target, and how to relax right before firing so the arrow would fly more precise. A smile crossed his face. Though his father had died, he was right there with Dray still...his memory would always be with him. ~Thank you father.~

His smile quickly faded as the shadows crossed over his face once again. It was time to hunt the prey that thought it was finished with the adhiel warrior. He tested the air once again for sounds and smells and then silently as possible gave chase. He knew that the opponent he now actively hunted had amazing senses, and would likely know it was now being followed.

Draydis kneeled and gathered up a handful of leaves. He rubbed them over his face, neck, and hands in an effort to mask some of his natural scent. The leaves were then rubbed firmly into his clothing so they would take on the scent of the woods as well. It would not be perfect cover, but hopefully it would help.

He knew basically which direction his opponent took, and he looked out for tracks. It had just left the area, so spotting it directly with his eyes would be the most likely way he'd find it. The smell of dog hair re-entered his memory, and Draydis knew he'd have to rely on the smell and sounds much more than his eyes...especially in the darkness of the night. His nose tested the air for the dog scent, and he made the effort again with every few steps. It was likely that his nose would find his enemy long before his eyes did.

Dray had attempted to trick the wolf creature, and now it would likely try to do the same. He checked the position of his short swords just in case they needed to be drawn in a hurry. Once satisfied that they were within easy reach, an arrow was readied, and the hunt was on...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Syra

Post by Syra »

Draydis' eyes opened.
A faint, blue glow lit up and disappeared as his sight adjusted to the surroundings. It ran through the outer leaves, touching every nerve before vanishing.

Gone.
Dark.

Ooo
Oohooo

Up flew the nightowl again as the Adhiel started to move. He looked back with obvious irritation, seeking a meal elsewhere while wolves and bipeds spoiled his hunting grounds.

The staff slid in place, still reaching well over Dray's head. The bow replaced it in his hands, still in fine shape. Leaves and dirt left traces and stains. Skin blended in with the night, scent taking on the more dominant tones of green.

There was no path to follow.
No visible path.
And then there was the flexible branches that gave way so much easier than those left alone for longer periods of time, the smell of cold water growing stronger with every move.
No path...but a trail nevertheless.[hr][/hr]Hunt is on.
Time to feed.
Burning...yearning...blood runs stronger.
Prey hunting. Hunter prey. Smells green. Smells warm.
Warm.
Meat.
Closer...run slow...make it come closer...
Close now.
Yes...

Eyes narrowed and the creature lept from the darkness, going straight for the throat of it's Adhiel prey.[hr][/hr]AAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaah

A cry in the night!
A hare shot off before his feet.
Everything around Draydis stilled as somewhere in the forest the creature found more accessible prey.
Last edited by Syra on Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[/size]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray watched for a moment in amazement at the blue light streaking through the leaves. He pondered for a moment what strange power it could be. The light tracing across the surfaces was beautiful...peaceful...

...and then his thoughts were broken by a scream. Somebody else had just become the prey.

His ears and nose let him know the direction from which the scream came. Instinct told him that if the creature was eating, it would be less alert to his presence. The way the scream trailed off told him that the victim was likely already dead. A quick end...probably for the best.

Draydis began to slowly make his way towards the sound, letting his balance adjust to the weight of his armor, pack, and weapons. The steps were taken with care to not create any excessive noise. Trying to avoid large piles of leaves, twigs, branches, and anything else that would make noise, the adhiel picked his way through the woods; keeping his senses sharp for signs of his target.

The pursuit was cautious...casual...relaxed. He had a target, and would not rest until his mission was successful. He would search for and eliminate the creature.

An arrow was at the ready. He just needed one chance for a shot. Draydis remembered the fighting with the demon dogs in Taloh a few nights prior. Their hides were tough beyond reason, and his arrows had done little against their torsos. He remembered how soft the underbellies were though, and decided a shot into a leg or the stomach would be enough to cripple his target...and the rest could be handled with swords.

As he stalked forward, the bow was kept at the ready. With a simple release of his fingers, the arrow would be in flight. As he scanned the woods for signs of the enemy, the aim of the bow followed his eyes.

His nose picked up on the natural scent the leaves had left on his own clothing and body. They mixed with the smell of cold water, he became very comfortable in the darkness of the woods. It was as if he were truly becoming a part of the Mother's woods. Though the situation would have normally made him tense, the guardsman was relaxed by the scent of nature masking his own natural odor. He was comforted by the raw smell of nature filling the air.

It was then that he became aware of another lesson his father had given him as a child. When hunting, he was always told to watch out for the wind, as it would carry your scent to your prey. Draydis kept this in mind, and did his best to keep any breeze that was present going into his face. He knew it might take longer for him to find his target, but if it meant he had to circle around so he could retain the element of surprise, then that is what he did. He did not want to fall into the ambush of his opponent....one death by its hands was enough for this night...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Syra

Post by Syra »

The scream had come from the same direction as the growing sense of water. Slowly the scent mingled with that of other moist, moss soaking up whatever was convenient and soft drops falling on the leaves from time to time.

Drip...drip...dripdrip...

Draydis' staff tapped the branches directly overhead. It was surprisingly hard to take the extra height into account. Gathered drops slid down the staff, disappearing into the canvas of his sack while his boots made less of a crunching sound, replaced by squishing as the forestgrounds started to adapt to the soft rain.

Dripdrip...drip...drip...

It didn't sound like a storm would break loose. This was a typical after-summer rain, falling at leisure wherever the foliage allowed. The forest was peaceful, the feeling of immediate threat gone as soon as the cry had sounded.

The constant readiness of his bow was strenuous, the arrow begging to be released at every shadow or moving leaf. Soft squeaking in the undergrowth, rustling up ahead. Everything alive was still moving away from the stream.

Drip...drip...drip...

The breeze played tricks between the trees, bouncing off and finding corridors from different angles. A general direction could be determined, making it possible for the Adhiel to choose his path. The water was moving over rocks and leaves audibly now, the stream drowning out most other subtle sounds.

Yet it could not mask the smell of death.

There it was, right next to the water: a wolfish creature, too tall to be a wolf. Hunched over it was ripping flesh from it's prey, making little growling sounds and checking the surroundings every so often. The snout lifted while it smelled the air blood dripped of it's fangs, yellow eyes piercing the undergrowth. It had not spotted Draydis just yet, but the question was, when would it?

More rustling from the right while the stream moved forth on his left. The forest was full of life, it just didn't care to show much of it in the face of such brutality.

[/size]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

The noise his feet and staff made were thankfully covered mostly by the sound of the water flowing. Draydis made a constant effort to remember the added height that the staff gave him as he attempted to move silently though the woods.

The target of his hunt finally came into view. The guardsman was repulsed at how it ate the innocent victim so easily...without any visible remorse. With care, he trained the arrow on the lower back of the wolf creature. It would not be a lethal shot, but it was the dead center of his body, and would be harder to dodge than a head shot would be. With patience, Draydis waited until it was taking another bite from its victim, and then released the arrow...quickly pulling another from his quiver and letting it fly as well.

The rustling from his right told him that something else was present. His ears alone would have to give him warning of other threats in the area, as he had to keep his eyes focused on the enemy that was in the open.

Further shots were held until Draydis could tell what his opponent would do next...

DMD Member since 2005
Syra

Post by Syra »

The creature tore at it's prey, dislodging a large hunk of bloody meat. It was happily oblivious, enjoying a meal well earned. A dark little stream from the body joined up with the clear water, mingling into innocence.

Rustling from Dray's right.
The wolf looked up.

"NO!" Someone jumped the Adhiel from the side.
The arrow flew.
A snarl.

"GET HIM!"
More voices.

A huge shadow loomed over the scene as an impossibly big person crashed out of the cover of the trees. Whoever had tumbled over Draydis went straight into the water, quickly climbing out and disappearing into the woods again, leaving a faint memory of lillies behind.

Blood.
Torn limbs.
A head stared up at the newcomers.

An Adhiel stepped from behind the tree of a man. "K'Tan's blessings...this is ugly." Immediately more scouts stepped forward to grab Draydis' arms, preventing him from shooting anyone of their party.

Of the wolf there was no trace left.

[/size]
Lallana

Post by Lallana »

‘There was no reason to shoulder me! I can handle myself!’

“Ving, the wolf!” Lana gasped her eyes drawn back towards a disappeared path. ‘There’s no chance a wolf would be wandering alone, packs are useful in predatory states!’ In another moment, Lallana glanced at the stranger only to smell the distinct coppery slime of blood. Her stomach turned as sweat was formed slightly. She felt clammy and awkward.

Lallana listened only to hear the soft prayer of another deity. In a moment’s notice Lallana had already forgotten her prayer to the Mother Earth and bit her lower lip as her honey eyes stared out on alert until things started to calm.

“What’s the information on the stranger?”

Return to “T'aquar Archive”