Samheen 24th - Searching for new aquaintances

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Samheen 24th - Searching for new aquaintances

Post by Guest »

“Eabh ta seodhiu inaidha,” a young woman called in greeting, sweeping into an appropriately gauged curtsy. She was clad in the traditional sari, and the pale green of the cotton fabric declared her position as a servant of the palace. “How may a Page of the Great Palace be of service to you?” she asked, with a polite smile.

-----

"Namaste!" Irdzenhil bowed his head in acknowledgement, hand lowering the hood of his cloak. First impressions mattered, and he must be careful to maintain the dignity that was his if he expected any respect at all. He had set aside a set of clothes in his trunk specially for today, they had been worn only once before. Yet still he could not help but gaze with slight awe at the Great Hall. He had struggled ill along the coast of Kislovan, bearing the letter that promised a fresh start. As he had travelled, his mind had often returned to the stories he had heard as a child, of the city of Cerlean. Now he was entering its heart. "I am Irdzenhil Kasvenir from Caliboirneabh, and I am here to see Battlemage Royal, I believe he is expecting me."

He had a second letter of introduction in case the first had 'not arrived'. If this sorceror was anything like the ones he knew as a child, then he would be unlikely to welcome him just because some noble family has sent him. He had been thinking carefully on the forthcoming meeting, when not distracted by the palace gardens rejoicing in the soft rain. He was not even certain what was in the letter sent ahead, and in any case, some determination was required to ensure he got help. Hopefully he had fully recovered from his illness.

Caliboirneabh has never left his mind since he had left it, the secret vales, hidden forest clearings, the great beings who walked its vibrant soil. He dreamed of weaving magic like poets words...he dreamed of being able to be able to go back home and sit amongst its greatest, and to have earn their respect, that would be truly worthwhile.

It was time to start this new episode of his life, and start to discovering the secrets of the art of magic. He was in the palace of the Queen of Kislovan, and power radiated around him. Smiling, as he had not smiled for months, he finished "please show me where he is, acha."
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

“Ah yes, Master Kasvenir, gladly” the servant responded to his request, as she gestured for him to follow her. “Please come this way.”

The servant led Irdzenhil through the vast, pillared main hall and down one of several arched corridors that wandered away from that fundamental chamber. Doors opened off the corridor at intervals, some of which were labelled to indicate the occupant of the chamber beyond. It appeared that the serving woman was leading the man through the administrative offices of the palace.

“Here we are, Master Kasvenir,” the young woman declared, gesturing with a graceful sweep of her slender arm at a highly decorated set of arched double doors. The young woman rapped upon one of the doors before opening the pair wide and stepping aside to let Irdzenhil pass by.

A woman sat writing at a desk almost immediately inside the doors, but looked up from her scroll as they swung open. Streaks of grey in her brown hair and laugh lines on her face hinted at the advanced age of the Achadhiel woman. She was immaculately robed in the traditional garb of mages; hers a deep, rich burgundy.

“Namaste, good sir,” she greeted Irdzenhil, as her assessing gaze took him in from head to toe and back again, the quill still in her hand. “Welcome to the offices of the Battlemage Royal.” Without asking why he had come, the woman sat with an eyebrow quirked, as if expecting him to supply the answer to this unspoken question.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

(avatar by Talon Yoseijo)

Post by Guest »

As the servant led him down the ancient corridor, and deeper in the heart of the Adhielan Palace, he kept resisting the urge to ask her to stop. The beauty tapestries that covered the walls, the intricate carvings of mysterious creatures and pillars shaped like ancient trees, were crying out to be examined. Yet the size of the corridor told of the power of those mysterious occupants hidden behind their oaken doors, and he hardly recognised half the functions written on those door. This was not the time. Anyway, the servant's brisk pace meant they were very soon at the right door.

Barely were the words "thank you, acha" out of his mouth, before the doors were fully open and a wizened old mage was greeting him. His mind was still distracted by a particularly stunning tapestry that had caught his eye on the way in. The tapestry was of a jungle, and a great cat was pulling down a small spotted dear. The cat's jaw was clenched over the dear's throat, and its great paw was pushing downs the prey's back. It was the eyes, however, that caught your attention. Both pairs of eyes stared out, one showing fear and pain, the other showing frenzy and delight. As a result, he did not react to the mage for a few seconds, then he hurriedly bowed.

"Seodhiu ta eabh inaidha, Daini. I am Irdzenhil of the house of Kasvenir and I come seeking the wisdom and knowledge of the Great Mage of the Palace. I have hear a letter of introduction," he pulled it out from with his cloak, and stepping forward, held it out, "and I believe a letter has already been sent ahead of me, directly from the house of Kasvenir."
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

The servant woman slipped quietly out the double doors, pulling them closed behind her, as Irdzenhil addressed the mage at the desk. About the room several plants flourished, despite the lack of natural light, and punctuated the walls where doors were not present. Doors, however, were plentiful, making one wonder how so many rooms could be connected to this one chamber.

“Ah yes, Master Kasvenir,” responded the woman, Irdzenhil’s name causing her eyes to light with obvious recognition. “Battlemage Royal Falgan is expecting you, but he is with someone just now. Please take a seat,” she said, gesturing to a chair to Irdzenhil’s right. “He is not likely to be long.”

With that, the venerable mage turned back to her paperwork, the scratching of her quill the only sound to break the resumed silence.

Post by Guest »

Irdzenhil, now no longer under the obvious gaze of the mage, took the chance to examine the room as he sat down. He was not at all happy about now having to sit down and wait. He had waited too long already, he had spent much of his journey to the capital analysing what had already happened, his experiences since he left home. So far, however, almost no thought to what exactly he expected to achieve by his visit. It was only clear to him that his mind needed something new to work on, some new power to grapple with and hopefully learn to control.

Years had been spent in an aimless exploration of the lands of Kislovan, and this was well and good, he had learnt much. He did not care either for the superficial achievements some of the family expected of him, a rank in the army, a place at court or even a business. That bored him. Yet the words of Anila were bitter, her harsh opinion hurt not because he felt it true, but because, if he was not careful, that’s what most people would think. He had to have some security from the filthy world his half brother had introduced him to. The scratching of the pen had a hypnotic affect...

Anila...the fair ninadhiel, how was it a human could be so entrancing? The first human he had taken to his bed. It lasted during the three months of winter, when the storms had been too violent for even the smugglers. The storms kept everyone stuck indoors, but not that he had minded.

It ended once winter was over, and new men came to town. She had grown bored of him. It was a standard tale of first love rejected, and that’s what made it worse. He hated its base, stale normality. She had thought him not much better than any other, and that he would most likely die in a gutter by some human thug in a brawl trying to steal some drugs he could not afford. At night, before closing his eyes, he could sometimes still smell her. Automatically, he grabbed the wooden desk of the secretary, to send the bad thought to the earth.

Realising, suddenly, the violence he had grabbed the table with, he muttered apologies. Once again he had returned to the past. Rising, he started to pace. The future needed to see him rise in power, skill and respect. He must learn as much as he could from this Falgan, and from others. He took a deep breath, and turned to the secretary,

"pray tell me, Daini, has the Achroiliel Falgan been Battlemage long? His name is well spoken of in Caliboirneabh, yet it was only recently I heard the title of Battlemage Royal..."
Last edited by Guest on Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

((OOC: I'm joining two threads here for a bit.))

In the atrium, Ashtallion was taking his leave of the Battlemage Royal.

“Goodtide to you then, Lustros,” Falgan bid him, before bending to retrieve the tome he had been reading when Ashtallion arrived.
<hr>
Meanwhile, as Ashtallion made his way back to the reception room, the old mage regarded Irdzenhil with thinly veiled surprise as that young man suddenly gabbed hold of the edge of her desk. Nodding at his muttered apology, she then watched out of the corner of her eye as he began pacing. She would not ask about his agitation, but she would certainly make note of it. It was one of the things expected of those who ‘did a duty shift’ on the reception desk. It was tedious work, but it had always been that way in living memory, and she and the other elderly mages saw no reason to change what had ‘always been thus.’

“Ah, but he is not and Achroiliel, young Master Kasvenir,” the old woman corrected with the pedagogic tone of a long-time educator.

She was about to continue, when a young man in a pale blue mage’s robe entered the chamber through one of the several doors disbursed about the walls of the room. A tall Adhiel stood before the reception desk. Both young men were of about the same height, although one had golden hair and blue eyes, while the other had brown hair and dark eyes. It seemed as though the golden-haired man might depart immediately, but then he stopped at the large double doors and turned back to address the mage at the desk.

At Ashtallion’s question, the old woman replied, “Certainly, Master Lustros. But there is a note here for you,” she added, rising to reach for the bell-pull with one hand, while holding a folded and sealed parchment in the other. “It was left here only burns ago,” the woman smiled, as she reached out to give the note to the young man.

Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

His eyes lit up with unconcealed surprise and interest as he reached out and deftly took the parchment from the older woman, " My thanks Lady. ", His blue and gold eyes flicked to Irdzenhil, taking in the dark haired young adhiel, " Namaste. ", his head lowered in friendly greeting as was only respectful of strangers, before he quickly turned his gaze back to the note, swiftly devouring the words upon it with eager, fire fueled eyes.

The Pelegrim still hung around his waist, the golden hilt catching the light and glittering with deadly beauty, by the slightly worn appearance of the scabbard, the blade had the tell tale signs of being used often enough.

OOC: Hi Irdzenhil! Oh, and as I don't know what the letter says, I will leave anhy reactions to my next post. :wink:

Post by Guest »

Typical, one asks a question of a mage, and one only gets a grammar lesson in return. He had been too long from their company, and he had to remember that they did not bother to answer question on topics that did not interest them. Hopefully, the fact that he was not a noble and had reached this position would not be a disadvantage, still, what did the other nobles think of such high positions to non nobles, was this normal? The biggest disadvantage at this moment was his ignorance. He must find out more, much more.

Smiling sadly in acknowledgement of his mistake, "I am painfully ignorant of the court, hopefully, soon enough that shall change..."

Yet before he was able to continue, the next door opened and through them entered another Adhiel. His eye momentarily rested on the blade he wore, it was well worn. Perhaps this young Adhiel was also new to the capital. Returning the greeting with another "Namaste" and acknowledging nod of the head, he was however, more interested in going through to meet Falgan. Anyway, the mage was obviously engrossed in his letter. Pointing his hand in the direction of the half open door, he turned in askance towards the mage at the desk,

"may I see him now?"

OOC: hey! pleased to meet you even if our characters aren't bothered, yet.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

The parchment note held the seal of royal family, although not of the sovereign. Within it Ashtallion read:

Dear Lustros,

By now you must have learned that I am niece to the Altaroien. I apologise for the deception, but I slipped out alone to have a few burns of privacy before joining the funeral procession. As you can guess, I am not generally allowed such luxuries. I do hope that you and Lustra will forgive me for deceiving you there.

To make it up to you, I extend this invitation for you and your sister to join me and my dear brother for the Eveningtide meal. Just show my seal to a page and they will show you to our apartments. My brother is as eager to meet you as I am to see you again.

Warmest regards,
Idris

As Ashtallion was reading his note, the woman smiled at Irdzenhil’s eagerness. “Just a few flickers more, young man. I shall announce you,” she replied, shaking her head, before turning to depart the way Ashtallion had come.

Flickers later, the double doors opened and a young woman, with honey-brown hair and wearing the green sari of a servant, entered and then curtsied to both young men. “How may a Page of the Great Palace be of service?” she asked, her voice carrying the musical lilt of the Peaganabh foothills.

Post by Guest »

The mage was obviously not as great as a mage as Mage Falgan. If that had been the case, Falgan would have seen him to the door, nor have been addressed as Master or have not known his way out. So while the mage went off, Irdzenhil turned to the Adhiel who the mage had called Lustros, and asked,

"Are you also to study under Mage Falgan?"

When the page entered, the sound of her voice reminded him of the hills in the north...the hills of his homeland. Perhaps there were others from Caliboirneabh? Contacts, even if it only provided him with better food (in his unbiased opinion) would always be useful. Returning the page's curtsy with a bow, and smiling with as much charm as he could, he tried to find out.

"Thank you, acha, it was not I who called but I hope Master Lustros will not mind if I ask ask, where in the gardens can one find a spot like in our northern forests? ... Perhaps you could show me? It has been a long time since I left home."

(OOC Twilight: not sure how the whole time thing works, I imagined it would take at least a few minutes for the mage to be ready to see me :D but if I haven't time to do all this then I will just delete a bit.)
Last edited by Guest on Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion suppressed the urge to laugh at the sheer luck of it all, yes he had guessed she was of some standing, but to have become aquainted with someone of such a high station. He could only pray to the Father for looking on him favourably. But, reading of her apology, the adhiel mage lost some of his own luster, knowing that his own deciet was far worse, and would increase even more so. It was needed for now though, a time would come when he would be powerful enough not to lie to further his own ends.

Looking to Irdzenhil, Ashtallion smiled, obviously whatever was in the letter pleased him greatly as the royal seal flashed once before he secreted the note away in his sash. " Hopefully, yes. I am Lustros Goldeneye, I have skill and power, yet there is always more to learn, so much more. ", the golden eyed mage looked at the page, waiting for Irdzenhil to finish speaking.

" That would be myself, young one, I am new to the Palace and would greatly appreciate a guiding hand to the main entrance..... I fear I would become lost in the corridors and halls. ", he smiled to the page and made to leave, but not before turning to Irdzenhil, " Oh, my apologies.... I did not ask your name? I pray all goes well with your own meeting with Mage Falgan, no doubt we shall meet again sometime soon. ", eyes and hair glittering, he allowed time for Irdzenhil to reply before letting the Page show him the way out.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

ooc Ooooh guess what, I'm gonna do a little tie over...please pm me and help me out...what's going on in this thread?
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

The young page waited patiently for Ashtallion -or Lustros as he called himself. After all, she did not know any better- to finish his little conversation before taking any action. From her stance it was obvious she was used to waiting, her delicate hands folded behind her back and her eyes modestly down as not to interrupt anything these gentlemen were discussing.

Young Mathma had taken great care to land this position and the blond woman was not about to give it up because she could not curb her unbridled curiosity. It was just about the most perfect place she could think of with all the interesting people walking in and out, not minding the servants because they were supposed to be invisible.

It was the invisibility in which the true power existed. If people forgot about her presence, Mathma would learn the most delicate details. Besides, with the female wizard off to warn Falgan, these men might just say things they'd otherwise keep inside!

It was hard not to start grinning right there and then. Instead the green-clad servant simply stood...and listened...

ooc
Waiting for Irzdenhil to make a final reply before we move on, if you dont mind :) just getting the hang of things!

Post by Guest »

Irdzenhil could not help but be somewhat surprised at being completely ignored by the page, perhaps it was just customary that the pages only responded to the people they were sent to aid...but Lustros had not minded. It was curious, but this was neither the time nor place to be childish and get upset with a servant. He was about to see Falgan, making a fool out of himself and making an enemy of the servants (who could make his life a misery) was not the way to go. Nor was it the way he was brought up. In any case, finding out about the Caliboirneabh and Northern Kislovan community in the capital could wait for the moment. Instead Irdzenhil turned to Lustros, shaking his head in mild amusement and grinning slightly,

"Pardon me for not introducing myself, Irdzenhil Kasvenir. Ibh ea fiadhea ta ealiu! But no doubt we shall meet again, that is unless Falgan, despite your best wishes, takes a disliking to me." Irdzenhil resisted the urge to shiver at the memories of how mages back home found 'amusement' with people they disliked. Then as the two turned to go he added, with an overly controlled and formal note, "farewell to you too, acha."

After they left, he quickly checked that he was presentable. Straightening his robes, swiftly combing his hair with his fingers and quickly wiping the dust of his boots, he waited to be called into Mage Falgan's study.

ooc: twilight and loraith were discussing what noble house irdzenhil and loraith should be connected to, if you wouldn't mind sorting it out that would be great, really want to be able to say Irdzenhil Kasvenir of the House of ...
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion, still beaming nodded towards Irdzenhil as he departed from the waiting chamber. With that, he turned to the Page, " My thanks for your patience, please, after you. ", he gestured to the main entrance, allowing her to proceed before him, after all, she knew the way out, he did not!
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Mathma blushed, having made a crucial mistake in all her self-absorbed thinking. Ignoring one of standing was close to immediately loosing her job! It was sheer luck there was no one around to see her bumble this!

"Good lord," She turned to Irdzenhil with a curteous bow. "You will forgive me for my lack of answering. My task lies in showing the lord Lustros to the door, but if the good sir has a moment after his appointment with master Falgan, I would be glad to show you." Mathma tried to make up for her oversight.

At the same moment those doors opened and a familiar greyhaired woman appeared. "Mage Falgan is ready for you now, lord Kasvenir. Please follow me."

The greenclad servant waited for an answer indicating whether she had made up or whether she would have to remember this moment in order not to repeat it.

Once she was sure Irdzenhil followed, the older mage put a bit of speed in her pace. Mage Falgan was a busy man and did not like being kept waiting in between appointments when he was ready for it. A little smile played around her lips, wondering about all these new arrivals. A fresh wind was blowing, that much was for sure.

The corridor opened into an atrium, a common feature at the centre of a smaller building, or a section of a larger one. Here plants flourished and birdsong filled the air. Open to the sky, sometimes several stories above, an atrium offered fresh air and full light, with the benefit of cool shade, thus making it a virtual architectural necessity in the hot, humid climate of Kislovan. Here was no different, and several chairs and many large cushions offered placed to relax and contemplate a reflecting pool at the atrium’s heart.

"Another welcome arrival." A very average looking Adhiel greeted Irdzenhil as he walked up to his guest, the deep voice resonating through the room. There was age in his eyes and voice, yet his demeanour was far from old. "A busy day today...please, tell me what brings you here?"

ooc
Asht, lemme know where you wanna go from here so we can start a new thread.

Post by Guest »

Taking a deep breath, and with a quick and final check of his robes, Irdzenhil strode on after the grey haired lady. Behind his back, he crossed the fingers of his right hand briefly.

Any fears he did have, were instantly relaxed by the atrium, a beautifully constructed oasis...almost as beautiful as the ones at home. Visibly happier, he bowed and started to say his half practised piece as eloquently as he could,

"it is an honour to meet you Mage Falgan, thank you for seeing me. As my letter I hope stated, I am seeking knowledge, as much as I can learn about the art of sorcery and magic. Being brought up amongst the mages of Caliboineabh has meant I have always wanted discover and play with those powers. In other words, I am hoping you, the Great Battlemage Royal, could teach me. I think you will find me a very able student, and that I will value your knowledge."
Last edited by Guest on Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Syra
The Chocolate Game Designer

Post by Syra »

"Letter...." A small frown. "Ah yes, your letter. Very interesting, but not very informative just yet." The mage pointed Irdzenhil to a chair, taking his own seat as well. His robes hid most of his figure, but the voice made up for all what was not to be seen, demanding all attention to be focussed on one matter alone: the discussion at hand.

In the background birds decided to start up a little contest to see who could reach the highest note. It did nothing to divert Falgan's attention. "You realize of course how many petitions I get during the yahren? You realise I am also just one person? Ah, magics are great, but it has not yet come to my attention how to split one person into two. So if you please: convince me why I should take on two students on the same day."

The baritone voice was not unfriendly, merely curious. His previous visitor had carried a powerful letter of recommendation, making it very hard for him to refuse anything. Yet this man would have to get in on his own word.

Not very fair, but life was never fair. If one wants to become a battlemage, sacrifces have to be made. Let this be your first battle...show your prowess!

"Your words so far are nothing new, I am sure you will understand. I hear them every day. No, what I want to know is why I should take you on. What makes you stand out over all others who come here? What makes you different?"
[size=75]Chocolate is not an addiction, it is a way of life.

[/size]

Post by Guest »

Irdzenhil glanced irritably at the birds as he accepted Falgan's offer of a seat. He had not expected it to be easy, in fact he mistrusted the contents of the letter. So the further questioning was reasonably expected...damn that Lustros fellow...calm. He must be settled. He had played with the idea before this moment, of trying some simple bold open statement or futile threat at the beginning. Yet, he knew he could not pull it off, that if he was trying to be a student he must show a calm, focused and planned argument. So, summoning his powers of persuasion, ensuring every key word was subtlety emphasised, and to speak not be too fast, in order to allow the arguments to sink in, nor too slow to make himself appear dumb.

"It is your wisdom that attracts so many students, like an oasis desert dwellers, but I think your rare and valuable knowledge will certainly not be wasted on me. I was brought up amongst many great mages, and I know that many of their virtues I can claim; patience and calm, a strong mind which will not only memorise but understand the deeper meaning of what I perceive, a curiosity which knows few bounds..." Here he paused very briefly, not more than half a flicker, these arguments had been used before, he let them be reinforced before continuing with a different angle.

"When young I fed my curiosity with lore of faeries and demons, I was not an idle child. Sometimes it was not permitted and I was forced to learn clandestinely. I have travelled, some have travelled further, at my age and younger, but my journeys were not the easiest. These travels developed my physical resilience, is not magic physically draining? I have the physical stanima. Yet I know too, of what sort your last visitor was." He paused again, briefly...made sure he was smiling, he must be show that he was in control of his argument, that he was confident. The next bit too had to be carefully put, he was not threatening, but it could be misinterpreted if badly put. Threatening a man as powerful as secure as Falgan would just be amusingly pointless and offensive.

"Yes, some of this you may have heard from Master Lustros, perhaps even his prior experiences may have given him some magical knowledge already. Yet two things he does not offer are firstly, all the above and the benefit of the house of Cullàmh. I dislike politics as a rule, but I know the more politically secure I am, the less I have worry about them. Life may be unfair at times, I have learnt that much in my short years, but good family has given me a leg up. The knowledge you impart to me will be not wasted I assure you, instead I am in a very good position to use your imparted knowledge to maximum affect."

Now came the final part, the he could not resist. He said it as calmly as he could, consider the circumstances, and gazed squarely at Falgan. This was no time to be staring at one’s feet, or suspiciously avoiding eye contact. "I want to be your student, and if you refuse me, I am planning to learn as much as I can about eliminating a pest. I know I am as good as other people you have taught, I am not going to go with a simple refusal alone. At least I will have learnt one spell, the spell you use to blast me away."

Back straightened, shoulders back, perhaps he was spoiling for a fight with the man he wanted to teach him, but he was a ready as he could be for whatever hit him...
Last edited by Guest on Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Syra
The Chocolate Game Designer

Post by Syra »

The mage remained silent for several flickers, looking his guest straight in the eyes as his fingers folded under his chin. The birds fell silent, leaving only the sound of water falling somewhere.

"Well now..." The deep voice started calmly. "And tell me, Irdzenhil of the house of Cullàmh...if you are so convinced you can find someone to teach you enough to eliminate me, what are you doing here?"

And that was it.
No blast, no pillar of flames, no insults or threats.
[size=75]Chocolate is not an addiction, it is a way of life.

[/size]

Post by Guest »

OOC. :shock: :shock: :shock: No I meant when he was kicking me out he would use some spell, not me use a spell! Sheesh no! Just a friend of mine got into a uni that rejected him by simply saying he was good enough and would not leave till they let him in...after a while of sitting outside their office they let him in. I am not using a spell, I was just waiting for either this guy to see I was determined or else blast my character out the room and then I would have at least learnt the spell he used on me!
at least I am going to learn one spell, the spell you use to eliminate me
Last edited by Guest on Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kislovan Archive”