The Dark Heart - Part 3 (Samheen 24th TT/ET)

Moderator: Mods

Grant
Retired Game Designer

The Dark Heart - Part 3 (Samheen 24th TT/ET)

Post by Grant »

More properly called the Office of the Chamber, or the Lord Chamberlain's office, the Major Domos operated here, high above the courtyard below and well within the staggering fortress that was, by rights, his home and his responsibility. While the Major Domos had very little power in the affairs of the Empire in general, within the walls of the actual Citadel, his power was absolute, and his position answerable only to the Caesar himself.

Flanked on either side my numerous smaller apartments, offices, and meeting rooms, the Major Domos' office was the heart of the Chamber, the institution charged with running the Citadel's day-to-day operations. He or his representatives administered lodging, managed expenses, commanded defense, and controlled access to the Ceasar and the Ceasar's family, giving him enormous additional power in local government.

The room itself featured smooth, polished floors, covered with a patterned carpet of old, mottled wool. Casements filled the back wall of the office, casements that held countless books, scrolls, and curios of a well-travelled man, as well as gifts sent by foreign dignitaries or powers, possibly to maintain the Major Domos' good graces. The large, oaken table that dominated the room was clearly imported, and its surface was kept nearly clear of all clutter; no ink well, blotter, or curiosity cluttered it's unmarred surface, though a dark stain of spilled ink stained it's otherwise unbroken appearance. Besides the high-backed chair behind the desk, two other chairs were within, each thickly cushioned and placed in discrete corners until they might be needed.<hr>It had been a very, very long day for many in the Citadel, and for the new Major Domos Andolin Azarin, that day hadn't come close to finishing. With his newest protege in attendance, he had ordered a shift of clothes and a bath draw to his offices while he and Fauna awaited the arrival of Elaine and her mysterious accomplice, the pair having infiltrated the central heart of the fortress itself, the mysterious "Heart of Tribus" around which all the Citadel's defenses were constructed.

The carpets, currently red and stained, were already slated to be shifted once again, and the Purple Guard had already placed a massive portion of their dwindling portion to defend the entrances of the dungeons themselves, though even know the true horror of the riots in the Outer Ring were dealing an unfathomable blow to that organization that might indeed spell the doom of the paladin's order forever. The precious few Purple Guardsmen left on duty within the Citadel were silently bolstered as off-duty soldiers were called up to man the walls, both here in the Citadel as well as the Patrician's Ring, but no one from the service dared to bring such news to the Major Domos. No doubt he would have his own burdens to bear...and indeed he did.
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin was struggling to maintain his calm. He knew from everybody elses point of view that his and Elaine's claims would seem slightly ridiculous, and were he in their shoes he might share the same opinions. However, he knew what was coming and what iit had done to the Purple Guardsman and what it had undoubtedly done to Bregana by now. At that thought his whole body tightened, and his gait stiffened for a moment. He had to banish such thoughts. If he lingered on what might be happening to his friend, his companion who had followed him to her doom, then he would be no use to anyone.

It was not possible to speed the guards up as they marched him to the Major Domos- their pace was not slow, but Corbin could feel fate hanging heavily over his shoulders. Every moment they wasted in discussion rather than action was another moment for the demon to continue its malevolent and insidious plans. It was quite possible that it was already in the Citadel - after all Corbin had seen it hide itself.

Entering the Major Domos room was scant satisfaction. He knew he and Elaine now had to persuade this figure of what had happened. They both looked extremely disshevelled - and that was a massive understatement. Elaine was still near naked, and Corbin was wearing less clothes than he had when he had set out - he was down to his undershirt, which was nevertheless tattered and bloodstained. For a flicker he considered the difference between his appearance now and at the grand balls of Roque d'Ancourt. There was certainly a great, great difference.

A brief hint of recognition skipped over Corbin's face as he saw Fauna. She was one of the few students at the University that he knew - having given evidence at her tribunal. He quickly masked his face again and stood silently, back straight and his head held high. He decided that a figure such as the Major Domos would quite rightly consider it his prerogative to open the conversation, and so Corbin remained attentive, but quiet, whilst he waitd to be addressed.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Zimphander.
She knew that name.
A friend, someone to trust. One of Ulder's best friends.

Floating was so nice, feeling the support of kind arms and just...letting everything go for a while. Not having to think, not having to act, just...float.

She remembered the first time she felt like that, although that had only meant surviving an inner demon as she gave herself up to a real kiss in Ulders arms.

"Ulder." A happy sigh. How she wanted to sleep in his arms, only to awaken to a new day in which new help could be found to follow the thought that had made so much sense when she was down there.

Down there.

Shivers through her body. Her hands clenched to fists.

Scent changed from doubtful to fresh, new things. Clean water was near, the blind woman could smell it through the haze. How she ached to be clean again, to be able to think.

Just a few more flickers...just grant me a few more...so tired...
There is so much to see, yet so few willing to.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Corbin was not the only impatient person in the room. Andolin was not a patient person by nature anyway, but he too felt as if there were not enough grains of sand in the hourglass to do all he wished to accomplish.

"Elaine," he uttered with interest. "It came to my attention that you fell into trouble in the dungeons. I sent guards to aid you. Sadly, it appears that they failed. I believe that I know the nature of the creature that dwells below and I have already taken steps to combat it. The priests of the Light and the most reknown mages have been summoned to a conclave at the first mark of morningtide to aid in .... resolving this matter." He tried to keep calm. There were guards present and there was nothing to be served by panicking the guards, who would spread the panic throughout the Citadel.

"I have ordered a bath and new clothing to be summoned here so that you could clean the ... grime from your body as you provide your report. I will dismiss the guards while you bathe, if you wish, but you should know I suppose that you are already largely unclothed."

"I think we should refer to the creature below as simply ... the creature." It was a clear signal to her tired mind that he did not want the name daemon mentioned in front of witnesses. It was a name that would cause fear. "I should tell you also that Fauna Witherspoon is here as well. I have given her the position of my assistant for magical affairs. I would have you introduce your ... colleague ..." he looked at Corbin, and tell me how you were able to escape ... before we discuss more the nature of the creature and how we shall defeat it." Again, his voice was intended to sound full of confidence, even if it was feigned.
[i]Someone has to be in charge, so it might as well be me.[/i]
Andolin Avatar by the Nice GD

Post by Guest »

Before Elaine has a chance to answer, the door slammed open with a good deal too much force than was entirely necessary, and before anyone had time to react a stream of words followed the slam without a space for half a breath, "Gods! I came as rapidly as I might, considering - my lord Azarin," Here the skinny stranger performed a hurried and slightly sloppy-executed bow to the Major Domos more as a reflex action than anything else - and the man continued in a rapid voice as if airing all his thoughts before they could creep away unvoiced, "Apologies - some other paperwork had me somewhat distracted and you know how time gets on, it just seems to ebb away unnoticed for me, I never know quite how that happens - but as soon as I received your message I made my way directly here."

He certainly seemed distracted - he waved his hands slightly overmuch as he spoke, and seemed unaware he'd interrupted at so crucial a moment - clearly too wrapped up in his thoughts and worries to delay himself with formalities, though his own words got in the way of that admirably - meandering as they did off on courses of their own. Despite this, his eyes were sharp and their gaze rather intense, as if the man did think deeply about a number of things and once under his consideration a matter might be picked apart in every conceivable way until he was satisfied.

"Now, I know little about the reported goings on in the dungeons and lower levels of this place, but what I have heard worries me to no small degree - it is essential that you give me as much information as possible if I am to be of any help in this matter - so I will respectfully ask that you do so with all haste."

And then the man paused - no doubt, for breath - and looked keenly at the Major Domos as if he expected the information to be delivered as rapidly as his own speech and with as little hesitation. He clearly seemed to be eager to get on with it - and did not even seem to have time for proper introductions.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Words, words, words, words, flood, words, blablabla.

Too much, too complicated, too soon. The girl was not even half awake when brought into the room. Some words registered, but entire sentences just fell away on her distracted ears and spent mind. There was no up or down and somehow people seemed to be talking to her, expecting her to answer, most probably.

That was going to be interesting...since it was very hard to form a rational thought and work it into spoken words. A door slammed. Her head throbbed. Her body hurt. Her spirit wailed. More words followed, draining every bit of attention the girl tried to conjur up.

Noah...please...I don't know if you can, but I need to focus. I need to...gods I am so tired. Noah, help me. I must explain, somehow. We must leave this place. The rosestone. Corbin. Everything. Help. Just a few moments longer...help me be focussed just a few moments longer.

"Morningtide will be too late!" She croaked, feeling like a bad actress in a worse play. "It's after me!"
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Post by Fauna Winthrope »

Everything was turning upside down, or so Fauna thought, she could sense the impatience and stress in Andolin’s words although he kept it hidden so very carefully. One must be careful in these dark times and she fully approved of that matter. What she didn’t approve was how he was handling Elaine. Elaine was a woman, and like every woman, they were emotional and like any emotional beings, if further poked and stressed, they’d go wild. It was time for her to intrude and take the matter to her own little womanish hands.

Men! How unperceptible they were! She sighed and looked heavenward.

Gracefully, she gently reached for Andolin’s shoulder, and giving him a look that she’d currently handle Elaine personally while he dealt with Corbin, the Purple Guards and the apparently looking wizard that barged in.

“Allow me to clear things, Lord Domus.” Elaine heard the familiar, soft voice of Fauna Winthrope, a voice that brought her back to the old days were everything was innocent and happy. “My name is Fauna…” She introduced herself, mainly for the wizard's sake and trailed off, unsure of her last name now. She wasn’t sure if Lord Andolin's mind had a lapse of judgment for he had introduced her with a new different last name. But she would let that pass, it might be possible that he was hiding who she really was, it wouldn’t matter anyway as per Corbin and Elaine knew who her. “And this is Master Corbin, a student of the University Campus, we have met before.” She introduced the student mage to the Lord Domus and to the one who barged in.

“Gentlemen,” She continued as she imperiously walked from behind the Lord Domus towards Elaine, looking at the three men with womanish manner. “I believe Lady Elaine would like some privacy first while she compose herself.” She was mainly looking at Lord Andolin, a look that said she’d handle Elaine delicately and that she’d report everything she could find directly to him while he takes care of Corbin and the other wizard.

“Elaine,” Fauna’s voice held, friendliness, care and sympathy. “Would you like a bath first and compose yourself? I’ll help you if you want?” She reached for the bard's hands and enclosed it inside her own. “Come, a luxurious bubble bath will clear everything away. You are safe, the Lord Domus had sent all the great minds of Arcane and Divine to take care of things. You are safe with Lord Domus. Come, the bath is waiting for you.” She gave the Lord Domus 'A Trust Me' look while she swept Elaine away from the room into the bathroom, covering Elaine’s semi-nudity with her own body, but she waited for Lord Domus’ approval before she and the blind Elaine could go out to where the bath tub was.

“I believe Master Corbin could tell Lord Andolin what was really the matter first while we go on ahead and take care of you, Elaine.” She looked at Corbin. “Would you like a brandy, Master Corbin. I believe, judging from your state, that you will be needing it. I’m pretty sure the Major Domus would not object of you sitting down as well.”
Last edited by Fauna Winthrope on Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Cruelty has a Human Heart,
Jealousy a Human Face,
Terror the Human Form Divine,
and Secrecy the Human Dress."

-- William Blake
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin remained impassive as events moved rapidly around him. It appeared the demon was now to be referred to as the creature. This was most likely to avoid frightening those who may not know what lay beneath the Citadel, but in these closed walls it appeared something of a silly precaution. They knew of what they were speaking, and to name it anything other than it was seemed unnecessary. Still, he was not dictating the terms of the meeting.

It surprised Corbin that the demon was already known, and he wondered just why it was that Professor Moore had sent him and Breganna to search out the demon when there were obviously more powerful wizards available. Could it be that Professor Moore was not aware of the other investigation? That seemed unlikely - word must have spread through the University. Was it then that he did not trust the Citadel to deal with the demon? He had spoken of enemies - could it be that one of the people in the Citadel was in league with the demon, after all, someone would have had to have summoned him and it could not have been an easy task to penetrate the depths of the Citadel.

The arrival of the new gentlemen through more doubt over the matter. He was obviously an important man to be able to burst in to this office, and he spoke as if he was aware of the goings on, but with no introduction Corbin was unaware of the man's rank or position.

Corbin felt for Elaine, as she spoke - she was obviously hideously traumatised from her recent experience. He was sure that the suggestion of a bath and relaxation was a good one, but whether or not she would submit to that, or even be able to relax was another matter.

The presence of Fauna was another shock, given that the last thing he was aware of was that she was being watched by the University due to suspicions of dark magic use. That did not bode well now that she was in close proximity to the demon. That said, there had been nothing proven and he was in no way convinced of her guilt. Still, the old adage involving smoke and fire played through his suspicious mind. He could not tell if she offered Elaine kindness, or sought to take advantage of her weak state. He hoped the former, but the possibility of the later was playing through his mind.

"Your offer is generous," Corbin said "and I would be grateful for a glass of brandy." He said, though he did not plan on drinking much of it at all - he was not in the mood for brandy, he was in the mood for demanding urgent action. "At your pleasure I will advise you of my recent activities underground, but I would advocate swiftness in all our actions - the creature is close at hand." He said in warning.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

If only she could stop shivering! It would make things easier. Words registered through the haze, something about baths, creatures...

Is he still trying to stop a panick? What does he think this is, a minor rat infestation? This deserves a panick! People need to leave!

Fauna...she's here too. Privacy? Who cares about privacy! Oh Mother, I ache for a bath, but there is no time!

Pure survival instincts gave her the strength to react. "Lord Azarin...either you get those guards out of the room RIGHT now or they will hear exactly what you need to know...what you will listen to and what you will realize has to be dealt with not tomorrow, not the day after, but today."

No way she was going to let Fauna take her away from the conversation she needed to lead. The half-naked woman put her arms around herself, clenching her fists while she gave the Major Domos a few flickers to make up his mind. Whether or not he responded to her advice, she moved on to the topic at hand after that short time.

"It is the same creature that was conjured up by the coven. I am sure of it now. It feeds on emotions, most strongly on very heavy negative emotions and is strengthened by the rift which exists left-below from the stairs...which probably no longer exist." A violent shudder drew through her tortured body as Elaine found shelter against the wall.

"I want to bathe...gods, I'd love a bath...but we have to get out, all of us. Everyone in the palace is in danger. This thing is after me, whether you believe it or not. It wants to use my Song! I can't let it!" There was still a clear hysterical ring to her tone, which made her cringe and hope they would still listen instead of discard it as the ramblings of an overwrought woman.

"Bregana...the companion Corbin lost down there...she did something to push it back momentarily, but as we found the ladder, it was already moving again! By now it might well have found another way in and whatever guards are posted closeby will be the first to go! It uses every live being in it's surroundings...please, I have an idea how to weaken it so it might be vanquished. Can I just...can I please just wash up real quickly and then leave? We must get to the archives before the demon does. There is something there which I think will silence his ties and with it his source!"

She did not care whether anyone would freak at the mention of a demon. They SHOULD freak out. Either Andolin had sent the guards out or they would finally know what was going on inside their palace. They deserved to know, they had to evacuate as well.

"Fauna, please, show me where the water is. I want to get this filth off me. After that we really, really ought to leave this place and if you do not agree, I will go alone! I am not going to stay here while that thing comes closer with every flicker you hesitate!"
Last edited by Elaine on Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Andolin
Caesar

The Captain of the Titanic

Post by Andolin »

OOC~ Unclear whether Andolin recognizes the Imperial Thaumaturge, but I will assume for expediency purposes that Andolin has seen the man before and knows who he is, even though they have yet to meet.

IC~

The arrival of the Imperial Mage caused Andolin to breathe a bit easier. At least some magical assistance was in sight. Fauna's attempt to interpose herself in the whole affair was amusing to watch. Andolin paused to see if it would work, though he was not a man who liked to sacrifice control over the situation.

As Corbin requested brandy, Andolin poured some for him and handed him the glass. He would have offered a glass of brandy to Elaine to calm her nerves, but he expected, by her utterances, that she was far past it.

"Ah, milord, thank you for coming," he noted to the Mage. "The Imperial Thaumaturge is always welcome here." It did not hurt to be nice to a man he needed. As Elaine continued her hysterics, Andolin uttered to the guards, "gentlemen, would you please wait outside and give the lady a moment of privacy." It was not a request.

Once the door was closed, Andolin began, "what happened to you is horrible Elaine. I believe you." She had made statements inconsistent with being possessed, so he was willing to believe, for now, that she might be intact. "Take your bath and realize that all shall be done as quickly as can be done. We shall have you on your way to the archives, or we can send Corbin to fetch the item you seek, and return. If the creature is after you, I shall move you outside the walls of the Citadel. You can have my former house for your use," he assured her. "We must keep calm so that we can think clearly. I cannot expect to pull all of the major priests of the Light into the Citadel in but a mark or two. Even if I wrote that the world was ending, some would not come, fearing I was but speaking in hyperbole."

"No, with the rising sun, so shall we strike. This creature seems to have found a rift and is bringing the netherwold into our own world at an alarming pace. The Citadel is quite old and full of charms and wards. It should slow the creature. If the creature can be here in burns, then it will overcome the surrounding city in a shorter time than it will take to visit each HIgh Priest. The gods will aid us in closing this rift. Lady Rioja has been consulted and concurs."

Turning to the Imperial Mage, Andolin asked, "milord, is there anything you might do to seal the daemon into the dungeons for now? There are very few entrances and exits, and we only need barriers that can hold for a few days. I have sent for the Lectors from the University as well. They should arrive at the first mark as well." Again, Andolin acted collected, hoping the mage could comply. "Anything else you would recommend?"

"Have you used your song against the daemon Elaine? Did it work to thwart it?" he asked as he eyed her in her bath preparations. He did not make eye contact, for her eyes were dead and it would have been useless. Besides, his eyes might be better rewarded with what the blind girl's nakedness revealed ... not that he looked in an obvious way, of course. That would be impolite.

Post by Guest »

Simon Ginneke - for Andolin had correctly recognised him as the Imperial Thaumaturgist and head of the Imperial Magi within the Citadel - had apparently been listening very closely to all their words, and if anything he seemed more distracted that ever. He chewed at his fingernail - a nail already bitten to the quick - but seemed entirely unaware he was doing it. When he spoke his voice was less rapid than before, but thoughtful and had a certain intensity to it, reflected in his expression, that implied he'd turned the thing over several times in his mind and found it a hard task to answer.

"This... this creature you speak of - it resides under the Citadel currently and... hmm. Yes. Yes, we can erect some form of barrier to contain the thing, some wards of sealing. It is possible - but they will not hold for long. In truth, I do not know how long we would have. Though I would spend much thought on it I fear we do not have such time, so I will do as I can, and directly." Simon looked up at Elaine, a searching look in his piercing blue eyes, and hesitated as if unsure of which thought to voice first.

"It would be wise to evacuate the Citadel - we cannot have a creature which feeds on emotions in contact with fear of any kind, and that's exactly what it will strive to provoke, if I have any understanding of their kind at all. And I admit, all understanding of daemonkind is limited, and scarcer than it should be for our purposes. But if Lady Bannon has an idea, I would be keen to hear it..." He stopped again, as if he wished to add to this but held himself back. As if he had an idea of his own, but wished to see what she would say first, to see if their thoughts tallied.

"The creature will not be destroyed until the rift is closed," He added, finally, turning his sharp gaze to Andolin, though the words were intended for them all, "The wards and barriers should be our first task, the rift our second." Simon seemed to pull himself together visibly, wrenching his focussed mind from his thoughts to action with an expression like a man waking, only far more slight. He took his leave of them with distracted politeness, and as he left swiftly through the same door could be heard muttering to himself under his breath, as if pondering the problem further, though the words could not be made out.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

OOC~ I am assuming that ordering the evacuation of the Citadel would cause a time knot -- given that you have a tribunal for the Purple Guard happening the next day in the Citadel. So I am resisting the call IC.

IC~

Andolin nodded at the Magi's words. "Perhaps a partial evacuation ... of some servants and non-essential persons," he murmured.

"Then it is the Rift that we shall attack on the morrow. With the combined power of the gods of Light and the magic of yourself and the University, surely we can create a circle that even this creature cannot conquer. We will close the rift, deprive it of its energy and then we shall destroy it or send it back to the nether," he uttered with more confidence than he felt.

"Do what you can milord. We could ask no more. Purchase us whatever time you can," he called out to the retreating form of the mage.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Elaine couldn't believe her ears. Alright, so he was willing to let her leave, but everyone else was expendable? They were still aiming for tomorrow morning? Almost she broke into the conversation between these two authorative figures.
Almost.

But then the Thaumaturgist spoke releaving words. There was possibilities for barriers. It was possible, if only for a short while. They would have a little respite and that small bit of hope allowed her heart to calm down for just a while.

Eyes closed she took a deep breath and released it. Before she got a chance to explain about the Rosestone the man named Simon was already gone! For one who believed they could wait until dawn he was surprisingly hasty.
Not that she minded!

"Fine. I realize time is not to be folded, no matter how much I'd like it to be possible." She sighed, a hand going to her sore head. "I was warned against the stone in the archives. It is called a Rosestone and it came from the Oasis where Finodborn resided. It...has the uncanny ability to shut down all ties to the sources around you. I could not hear Mother's Song anymore. It was terrifying." A new shudder, as much from the memory as from exhaustion and cold.

"I believe this stone to be able to cut the demon from his ties as well. It will leave him vulnerable. He draws on the nether energies. He can't if the stone is close. Draw your conclusions. Yet, master Barrett told me something about an Adhiel needing to handle the stone, although he was not sure why. There was a danger involved, but he did not get the details on it."

She wanted that bath. The girl did not care about the onlookers. They had seen her naked anyway, and why would she care? It was just her body...a filthy body. Quickly she finished what she needed to say, afraid she'd simply fall asleep in the warm waters. "That's the stone we need to get into safety. I am not going to stay here, but I don't know how safe the archives are...knowing that demon he will not go near that stone because it will rob him from his power, but he can work on his surroundings, make stone into fluids and all. He can bar our way from the one thing that might hurt him right now!"

She had decided the demon to be male. Her experiences were simply too...specific, to be able to call it anything else. "As for my Song." Her voice broke again. This was painful. Very much so. " It might have done something to change his twisted melodies...but in truth I believe he took it and changed it himself. I could not reach Mother down there. She was too far away. All that was left was...darkness. And I drew on the wrong strand."

Elaine did not feel like getting into that any further. That would mean telling about her time in that creatures claws. She wanted that bath now!

"If you don't mind...washing up? Anyone point me, please?" She hated being without her wooden eyes. It was terrible to have to depend on others again, feeling as she did right now.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Fauna half-listened to the conversation around her, she was trying to see if there was something wrong or strange with the blind bard. Besides, she have heard this conversation before, conversations about warding and sealing the dungeon, she had counseled the Lord Domus about that and she approved that it was finally going to happen.

What had really happened below the dungeon? Was this the REAL Elaine? Perhaps she was, perhaps she wasn’t, only time would tell. It would be better if someone would watch out for her and see if she would be acting strange in the future.

“Mi’lord, perhaps I should go as well and help Lady Elaine get comfortable. Would you mind if I watch out for my friend Elaine here? She would need someone very close to her right about now, I can be her companion in her new domicile, and she would need company. I hope you don’t mind, Elaine, I’m just worried about you.” She asked the blind bard, but her eyes were looking at the Major Domus, seeing if he should approve.

Would you be all right here? Was the look she gave the Lord Domus.

“I believe we would be needing a carriage and a small contingency of guards at your place, Lord Azarin if…” She trailed off, not wanting to say it out loud. She wanted protection herself against Elaine if she was feeling strange, but Fauna could handle herself, she had dealt with a Daemon before and she knew Elaine still had the full faculty of her mind, partially, she thought. Besides, this was a good time to study Elaine, alone with her in Lord Domus’ house and perhaps, tap into the power of the Nether herself. Furthermore, she would just be in the way, this job of sealing was for the high standing Mages and Fauna admitted that she was still an apprentice, she would just be underfoot Andolin (figuratively speaking, that is). But she wasn’t sure if Andolin would need her further service.

“Come, Lady Elaine, let us go and have you cleaned over, would you mind if we go directly to Lord’s Domus’ house and have your bathe there? You would be totally protected there or would you like to have a bath first?” She gave the blind lady a reassuring squeeze of her hand, showing that she was beside her.
Last edited by Fauna Winthrope on Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Plots within plans within plots within plans. There were so many undertones in the current conversations that the unshielded Achadhiel tired from just listening to them. She was beaten, filthy, deadtired, chased by a demon who actually wanted her alive and they were discussing details...

No, I'm not going to wait. I know there is water here, I can smell it. 'My friend Elaine'? Dear Fauna, I have not forgotten your strange behaviour at the tourney.. not at all...but yes, I need someone around. I'm scared to be alone right now, scared to sleep. I need to sleep. Good Mother of all I don't think I've ever felt like this before.

"No, Fauna, I don't think you're just worried. But if it makes you happier, we'll pretend that that's just all you meant." Elaine responded with a tired voice. "If you think I am going to travel to a strange place feeling like this, you have another one coming. I am going to wash up now whether you are going to show me that tub or not. And you can both stop wondering about how bad I must feel about being in the nude in company, because that is the least worry on my mind right now!"

Arms stretched out to the sides the blind woman started to find her way through the office to the bathtub which held the longed for warm water. If Fauna was going to assist her after all it was all fine, but Elaine was not going to wait for a flicker longer when she could be washing off the ooze already!
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

What does that mean?

Fauna mildy arched an eyebrow and gave the blind woman a curious look. She was trying to help, and if helping seemed to have offended the blind woman... The young blond sorceress sighed and let that pass, hoping that the blind woman was just tired and the events of what had happened had addled her.

"Here, Lady Bannon." Fauna tentatively took the woman's hand and led her to the bath, lacing her words as if she was deeply injured by the blind woman's words. Well, she could act and she was acting that she cared for the blind woman.

ooc: I don't get it, is the bath in THE same room? or is it in the adjoining room?

Gently, Fauna helped Elaine, she took the cloth that was covering the woman and threw it away. "We'll get you clean in no time, Elaine." Fauna murmured in seeming sincerity and took the soap and handed it to the woman and splashed the water for the blind woman to hear.

"I'll atleast draw a covering around us, Elaine, for your sake while I help you bath." Quickly, she delved into the Aether, tapping those colored hues around them and tried to weave an illusionary thin curtain of darkness around them.

"Here, I'll scrub your back to get these filthy ooze off you." She was disgusted by it and she shudder as she touched the grime. "Oh, Elaine! What have you been doing to yourself?!" Fauna muttered sincerely, her voice filled with care. "Last time we met, everything was alright and now, things are going down the drain. First, it was Lady Florentina..." She murmured, her voice showing alarm. "Now you, and now a deamon... What's next? What's happening to Tazlure now?"
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Even a man with little understanding of women would know that there was some tension between Fauna and Elaine. Andolin, of course, liked to think that it was because they both wanted to impress him. A worthy goal. Unfortunately, he knew the blind girl's heart was with the dashing Captain Ulder. Of course, that only meant that the Lord of the Chamber would need to order Ulder into the dungeons to save his beloved from the daemon. Surely they could spare the good Captain.

Andolin's brow furrowed as Fauna sought to take ownership of Elaine. He needed no intermediary to deal with Elaine. She would become his creature in time, with or without Fauna. Worse, Fauna sought to shield Elaine's nakedness from him.

It was important, to himself, that he watch Elaine very carefully. He needed to determine for himself whether she might be possessed. To do that, a visual scan would be important. Okay, perhaps not important ... but it could not hurt. Perhaps it had mutated something on her. Since it was a daemon of passion, it would no doubt attempt to taint those very private parts of her body. As such, it was his duty to scan her naked privates as best he could ... for telltale signs of course. Already, he had managed to determine that her breasts seemed uneffected by the daemon. He, of course, needed to scrutinize them carefully, free in the knowledge that she would not see him being so improper. Perhaps he would need t examine Fauna that way, in the future, to determine whether she was free of taint as well.

When Fauna wanted to insert a partition, Andolin frowned. "There is no time to have a partition brought in." That was his simple way of stating that there was no way he would have something brought in that would impede his view of the tub. When Fauna offered to scrub her back, Andolin grimaced. I should have offered to do that.

"Now, tell us anything else we need to know Elaine, while you bathe. Should we send Corbin or Fauna to the archives now to find the Rosestone, and bring it here?" He looked at Corbin briefly to see if the man would volunteer.
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin watched the interplay between the characters present with a feigned disinterest. Elaine was quite obviously greatly fatigued, Fauna was seemingly eager to help and the Domus was, well, he was obviously enjoying the fact that Elaine was naked in his chambers, an opinion confirmed by his insistance on no partition. Corbin naturally kept his eyes averted from Elaine as much as possible, though he tried not to make it too obvious. It seemed to Corbin that there was too much emphasis on getting Elaine scrubbed clean, and not enough on trying to control and destroy the demon that could already be within the Citadel.

He was pleased, then, when the prospect of venturing to the archives to fetch this Rosestone was revealed. He was intrigued by it, after his conversations with Elaine about it, but still vague as to what it actually did. Still, he was quite willing to venture down to fetch it, though he did suspect it may be a ploy to get Elaine on her own - but then again he could quite easily do that by simply ordering Corbin from the room.

"I would gladly fetch this Rosestone, though if what Lady Bannon says is correct we would need an Adhiel to accompany me to actually handle the object." He said quickly.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Water, finally! Elaine felt the shivers travel over her body as soon as she stepped into the tub, shivers which were being chased away by the luxurious warmth around her. Corbins clothes, Zimphanders tabard, they were thrown away, leaving her to finally get the last of that horrible being off her body.

With every stroke and every bit that disappeared into the water the girl felt better, simply by being rid of the terrifying slimy touch. Right now she did not care about Fauna, even could not care about the overly helpful young woman as the soft touch of water surrounded her and tried to draw her into sleep.

A soft 'ooh' escaped her lips when her shoulders too went under in the comforting warmth, enjoying Fauna's scrubbing at her back. She started to feel alive once more, a good feeling since there was so much left to be done. Fatigued or not, sitting down in the warm water made it a lot easier to talk, although she did not wish to think about having to move again.

"The stone should be handled by an Adhiel, Barrett told me, so please take care that such is done. I don't know why. Yes, get the stone and please, allow it to travel to whatever place it is where I may sleep. Master Barrett hid it deep in the palace for a reason, so I should think people need to keep their distance if it concerns greater periods of time. But again: that's theory."

She dipped her head back, the blond hair waving on the water surface. It was so tempting to just let go of everything and fall asleep right here as the warmth seeped through her exhausted body.
So easy.

No! Quickly she sat upright again. She had to share as much information as possible so people could act on it. Yet a nagging feeling in her gut told her she was afraid that these were not the people who would act on it...save Corbin, who had already showed he wished to resolve the matter now.

"The demon..." She gulped. "It spoke of taking over the Tether through my song. It took over people who were down there. Corbin encountered one of those, I met another. Whoever was sent down there for a longer period of time, is lost. Dead or...used. Even the rats acted peculiar. Bregana, she pushed the demon back, I don't know how. I just know that you should get everyone away from that room, from any exit. It will take them and use them!" An edge of hysteria crept into her voice again, much to her dismay. Elaine needed them to believe her.

"Corbin, this entire story must reach the university. I don't know why this man left so fast. I hope he understands the full scale of it. Surely they must be able to help in combination with the Rosestone?"

All the time the girl kept washing. Everything needed to be clean. Even though she had planned a quick wash up and an elaborate bath once she was away from here, it was simply to good to loose the feel of that ooze on her sensitive body. Everything still tingled in the aftermath of what the demon had put her through. The blind Achadhiel could not get her mind wrapped around what exactly it had done, she only knew she did not want to think about it anymore lest she might be tempted to give in to those feelings...and with it to the demon itself.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin listened carefully as Elaine spoke about the Rosestone, then about Bregana. A pang of guilt shot through him, a feeling he was doing is utmost best to suppress - he was aided a flicker later by a sudden thought.

"Wait a minute. Only an Adhiel can handle the stone?" He asked with concern. "And the demon may well be aware that this stone could be a risk to him. He obviously can't go after it himself, exactly because it's a risk to him. Plus he is not Adhiel. Bregana, however, is or was. If the demon has taken over her body like he has done with those people we eoncountered, is it possible he would send her after it?" It was certainly a sobering thought. "Even if the demon doesn't know whether she can handle the stone, it probably wouldn't care risking her. If she got it and destroyed it, or hid it we would be back to square one. We need to fetch this stone, and alert the University - Professor Moore needs to know. I can do one, but not both. Which would you have me do?" He said turning his gaze on the Domus, he was eager to be active again.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

A satisfied smile greeted Corbin as he agreed to go after the Rosestone. It was frustrated by the need to have an adhiel handle it. He listened silently as Elaine enjoyed her bath. His mind raced to recall if any of the Purple Guardsmen outside was an adhiel. If so, he would send them with Corbin.

"I will order a partial evacuation of the Citadel. I will order the guards away from the sealed entrances," he began as he fetched paper and quill again. "Corbin and an adhiel guard will go at once to the archives to retrieve the stone and watch for this woman. The stone will be brought to my house outside the walls. Fauna will escort Elaine there as soon as she is done. Corbin, you are then to proceed to the University to tell them what you witnessed and add urgency to the summons that they must meet in Caesar's meeting chambers at the first mark of morningtide." He spoke in a confident and commanding tone, as this was his element ... power and command.

"Fauna, the creature wants Elaine more than it wants me tonight. As such, I would like you to stay with her this eveningtide to protect her." It was a way to give Fauna something that she apparently wanted as well. For some reason she had appeared very protective of the woman, as if she could do Andolin a favor by watching her. "We will also ask Captain Ulder to stand guard over her this evening," he announced to reassure Elaine. He assumed Ulder would appear there anyway. A horde of daemons would not prevent him from being by Elaine's side in her mark of need.

As for Andolin, a night locked in his study might give him an opportunity to do something he had not done since Thorkatla had left -- summon a demon. With the nether so close, it would be very easy to accomplish. He thought of Nimtola, the demoness that his father had summoned. They had been very close. It had been over a month since he had fled from the tower of Balik. Perhaps there were things that she could tell him. Perhaps.
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin's mission appeared to be the most inefficient that could be managed. He was to proceed to the archive to get the Rosestone - a task that could prove to be somewhat troublesome if his suspicions proved correct. Then this was to be brought to the Domus' house and then he was to go to the University? Several thoughts rushed through Corbin's mind. Why did the stone have to go to the Domus' house - it was surely better to focus the defence in the Citadel, and summon as much force there s possible. Secondly, why the devil could a messenger not be sent to the University to summon Professor Moore and whoever he saw fit to join him?

Corbin resisted the temptation to bridle under the Domus' command. Instead he nodded his assent to the man - it was better he spring into action now than wait for conversation and argument to stall the progres they were making.

"As you wish my Lord. May I beg of you two things? The return of my sword and directions to your domicile? It would not be wise of me to seek out the stone without a physical, as well as a magical defence - and it would seem advisable that I know where to deliver this artifact as well." Corbin said calmly to the Domus.
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Now that Elaine was able to take a bath, Fauna stood, wiped her hands upon the tabard and turned to look at the Major Domus and Corbin. She nodded her demeanor grave and imperious at the same time, at the commands of Andolin. It wasn’t as much as a favor to Andolin but more of an interest for herself, she wanted to see and study the blind achadhiel, to know for herself how the Nether will work inside a mortal being. She imagined the power she could perceive if she could wrestle the Nether energy from the blind woman. And being alone with Elaine for the night would give her the opportunity.

“Yes,” Fauna murmured, “I shall be guided by you in this, Lord Domus.”

Why was Elaine being hysterical? Could Elaine not understand that this new power was a gift and not a curse? Or maybe she was just being theatrical? Purely dramatics to hide the fact that she was wallowing with the Nether power, that the blind achadhiel herself seduced the Nether Creature to be the vessel of their essence and vast power.

Whore! It should have been mine! But her face remained impassive, as she gently looked after the tired Elaine, wanting to strangle her pretty, little, harlot neck. “Yes, I will protect Elaine with my very life.” She reassured the Major Domus. Of course she would, the blind bard was her new project now, if only she could write a thesis about her, she would have done so.

But she was worried about Andolin, he was going to stay here in the Castle. Well, he was a grown man and he could handle himself, she shrugged mentally. It was good that she’d have to be alone tonight with Elaine, she wouldn’t have to follow the Major Domus around, she could act alone and there was a lot of things to ponder, including Tarrant, how he had manifested himself to her and tried to help her. Why? Would she be able to summon his tainted spirit? Would he come? She would have to find out. And being in close proximity with Elaine, the new bride of the Nether would be interesting enough, there was a close Nether energy to tap from.
Last edited by Fauna Winthrope on Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Evacuations.

The word played in her head as some kind of medicin to a great part of the frustration pent up in her body. Closing her eyes the blind woman allowed the water to swallow her for just a flicker or two, emerging again when every inch of her skin felt warm and familiar instead of cold and sticky.

The stone...there were so many reasons to place it here or there. It could not stay here, that was for sure: the demon might know by now and could indeed send Bregana if she was an Adhiel as Corbin stated. Elaine bit her lip.

Poor Corbin! I cannot imagine how he must feel! Yet, the Rose stone...to have it where I will spend the night....is this smart? It might protect, yet....argh, I can't think!

"Wait, Corbin! The mages need to know everything in order to battle this thing! The stone had best be brough to them! Maybe they will decide...maybe they will act sooner. I mean...Gods, a whole night...I hope their barriers will hold."

Shivering again the girl decided it was time to get out of the bath. The initial washing up was done. She'd be more at ease away from this terrible place. It was hard to keep thinking straight when all she wanted was to lie down and when everyone around her was so...busy with other things.

Doesn't anyone care about the Citadel???

Maybe she was just too tired to be rational about anything. All these feelings jumping through the room, there was so much hostility, greed!

"I would like to have captain Ulder warned indeed." She answered, unable to stop a smile, even though she knew he would not be there. A secret mission...nobody would be able to find him save Sosa. And in order not to compromise that same mission, Elaine was not going to be able to tell them this. She needed him so badly and yet she was going to have to get up on her feet alone again. Fauna's presence was dubious, but Elaine had little choice. She could harldy start accusing the other woman of things when she was more than a little hysterical herself!

Drying off the blind Achadhiel wondered...

"Ehm, someone mentioned dry clothes?"
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

To Corbin's request, Andolin nodded. "Yes, you shall have your sword returned. The house in question was my former residence. It is the house closest to the main gate of the Citadel. It should be mostly vacant now. Servants will still be there packing my things to move into my quarters here." And it has a secret passage into the Citadel. There was no need to tell them that just yet.

A smile greeted Fauna as she simply complied with his wishes. Why were not so many others so reasonable?

Elaine's point about the Rosestone made sense. Originally, he thought that Elaine would wield the stone as she sang; but, then he realized that she was only half adhiel. "Yes, perhaps the University," he agreed, "or Vanir!" The adhiel priest of Pan was a creature that understood passion and would be inclined to avenge Isa. He thought the man largely useless, but now pondered whether the stone would be better in the hands of a priest. "Yes, separate the stone from Elaine. Make the creature seek two objectives." It was also possible that Elaine was under the influence of the daemon. Her suggestion was wise.

As Elaine looked for the clothing, Andolin smiled at how useful it had been to summon her clothing here. Of course, he would not mind if she stayed naked a bit longer. "Yes, I had a dress of yours brought." He looked to see if Fauna would hand it to her. His new assistant seemed very protective of Elaine. He supposed that was a good thing.

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”