The dream of the Seer : Rebellion against the Tyrant Sam 26

Moderator: Mods

Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

Syra was stirring in her sleep, still caught deeply in the nightmare of her dreams. Sevti noticed the tightly clenched hand, knuckles white with the pressure of holding on to some imaginary thing. And she heard the words murmurred by the fevered girl.

"G-Gavin…dead….all…dead…won’t…stay…Sevti run…run Abeo…dead…m-my fault…s-s-stupid.” Another convulsion knocked the breath right out of her. “Dead…all…d-dead…I'll f-f-follow…screw you, Noir…"

Sevti put a chilled hand against her friend's hot cheek. By Pan's blood-stained axe, no wonder this dream has her caught so tightly! Sevti knew she had to try to coax her out of the dream, into the reality where they all lived. Even if the girl didn't wake at the moment, the priestess knew that just finding her way out of the nightmare would help her heal. She wouldn't be fighting both infection AND dispair.

Hitching her chair closer to her friend's head, the Panling pitched her voice low, soothing. "Syrawenn, it's Sevti. I'm here. Follow my voice, Syra. Listen to my words. See me as I am in your mind. I am well. I am truth. Listen to the words I say and know them for what they are."

With gentle strokes, she caressed her friend's cheek, letting the cool touch leech some of the over-whelming warmth from the younger woman. "Gavin is not dead. He is not harmed. He is, at the moment, sleeping off the exhaustion that the fight has brought to him. But I have seen to him myself and I promise you, he IS alive and well. And waiting for you to awake. He needs YOU well and awake, Syra."

For a brief moment, she moved her hand from her friend's cheek to rest it atop the snow, letting it chill back again. She continued speaking to Syra in that low soothing voice while she waited for the chill to penetrate her hand. "Abeo is alive. As am I. We are all here in the Keep. The Keep we have defended and drove Noir from. Even Noir is here, though chained and guarded and being left for you to deal with, if I know Gavin. No harm has come to any that you care about, Syra. We are all here, we are all well, and we all want you to come back to us. Listen to the truth of my words, my friend. Listen and come back to me. Heal, Syra. Heal and be well, body, mind and soul."

Pulling her hand from the snow, she laid it beside Syra's cheek once more and started speaking her words again. "Syrawenn, it's Sevti. I'm here. Follow my voice, Syra. Listen to my words. See me as I am in your mind. I am well. I am truth. Listen to the words I say and know them for what they are..."
"First let's just unzip your religion down" - [i]Crazy[/i], Tori Amos
Tickle-fight champion.
[i]Avatar is At the Edge of the World by Electra[/i]
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Gwayne of Vendeling »

While Gavin was sleeping and Syrawenn fighting the fever, that was trying to destroy what was left of her ravaged body, silence was laying a blanket over the stronghold's wall's.

Meanwhile several riders left the stronghold in different directions. And some riders arrived from other places, most carrying the red flags of the Red Warrior. Warriors who did hide for years now returned to join Lord Gavin.

Also the warriors of some nearby clan's arrived and got stationed in the stronghold, swelling the number of warriors inside to near fifty.

Abeo made sure that all was arranged, the flags on the buildings where replaced. The building was cleaned up. It would take several days to repair all the damage, but for now all the bodies and blood where removed.

Abeo joined the warrior for a mark in Ambers room, where they talked a bit. The man was chosen by the other followers of the Red Warrior to be their spokesman. He was standing in front of the window, watching the large funeral fire outside where the bodies of those who served the Red Warrior went up in the flames. Other fires where visible in the distance...warning fires lit on towers and fortresses to warn the country.

"What shall we do with the Assassin ?" Abeo asked. "At least take her weapons away, she would kill Gavin in a flicker."
The man did shake his head slowly. "We do nothing, and no we don't take her weapons away."
"Why not ?" Abeo resumed. "Because she did not kill me.." the man answered. "Her body shall heal fast enough, and then she shall fix her mistakes...but if you wish, and Gavin wishes.." Abeo shook his shoulders.
"I just wanted to tell you that so far twenty Red Warriors have entered. I have put them on guard. Some have left the stronghold with fresh horses to call in others."
"Thank you for the information." the man said. "We all talk tomorrow, enemy forces shall move in the weeks to come.... but now better get some rest Lord Abeo."

Abeo nodded and left, making his way to Syrawenn's room where he joined his wife. Exhausted because of the day he fell asleep in a chair beside her.

The man could not sleep, pacing up and down Ambers room. And sometimes watching the flames outside the window, sometimes sitting in a chair watching Amber, he waited for morning break. When Amber showed signs of a nightmare pushing away her blankets he covered her up again.

The sounds of roosters crowing signalled the morning, although the heavy snowfall refused the sun to show its face.

All over the stronghold movement started, fires where kindled and food prepared.

Syrawenn's fever had broken, but when she woke up she felt very weak.
Amber's side had gained some colouring during the night, now showing yellow and green where it was bruised. Gavin had gained much needed strength. Abeo refused to wake up anyway and Sevti, had somehow some hidden pockets of strength, because she felt ok.

[hr][/hr]

Far away from the stronghold survivers of Caesars army moved towards ford Illdan. Watched by eyes from the hills. It would take them at least three days to arrive.
Last edited by Gwayne of Vendeling on Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Goddess is at my side, until she decides to leave me...

Posting on possible days Avatar from our lady Finley.. a mistress of capturing dreams and nightmares in word and pictures.
http://pixieface.deviantart.com/
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

His own sleep was one without dreams. He pushed himself too hard and even had his body been at its best he would still be overtaxed. Seeing how he managed to age almost thirty yahren in a single day, he got dangerously close to simply collapsing. And when he awoke he had no idea how much time had passed. A faint scent of smoke was drifting in through the window and his eyes snapped open Without any movement the big man moved only his eyes around, trying to remember where he was and when he was. And it took him a good ten flickers to realize that. "Syrawenn." he whispered and was fully awake.

Slowly he rose and sat on the edge of the bed, rubbing the remainder of the sleep from his eyes. A mighty yawn followed and a bit of stretching was accompanied by a lot of his joints cracking. He felt refreshed and walked to the bucket he left in the room when he went to sleep. The snow was melted now, and he used the water to wash his face. And only then did Gavin see his reflection. "So, this is what caused those reactions. Darn, I do look old. Grey wolf indeed." And with a chuckle he rose and sought some clothing for him to wear.

It took some digging through the wardrobe, but soon he found a suitable set. "Noir's probably, but it will do nicely." And then his eyes fell upon a backpack and a wolf skin next to it. For a few flickers he was stunned and then slowly reached towards it and touched the skin. These are Syra's things. He brought them to his own room. That bastard. He picked the pack and the skin up and placed them on the bed as he dressed. His armor needed cleaning, but that could wait.

So, without much care he kicked the armor pieces that were used as a makeshift alarm away and opened the door to his room. The big man smiled and nodded to the guard in front of his room. With practiced ease he fixed the sword onto his back and picked up Syra's pack and the skin. "Go get some rest. I'll be up and bout for the rest of the day. No need to stand guard over an empty room." And then the big man was moving down the hall. A few questions told him the strange man that stopped Noir was in charge while he and Abeo slept. And he learned that he could be found in Amber's room.

Yet, no matter how important the man's word might be, he needed to do something first. And so Gavin sought the room where Syra was. A peek through the half opened door and then he was inside and in a few long strides stood next to Sevti. Syra was still feverish and asleep. Without a word he leaned closer and planted a kiss on her cheek. The heat that emanated from her startled the big man a bit. His lips touched her cheek for a few flickers and then he stood. Leaving the backpack at the bottom of the bed, he took the skin he wore for so many years and covered her with it.

Then he crouched next to Sevti and watched for a few burns as the girl he loved slept and dreamt violent dreams. His arm wrapped around Sevti and he hugged his friend in silence for a while before he even gazed at her. A weak smile was on his face as he looked at her before he spoke. "Take care of her for me. I am needed elsewhere, but send for me as soon as she is awake. And, don't let her get out of the bed. I'll come later to check up on her. Thank you. For everything."

Then, without a word the big man rose and left the room. Now, I can handle this rebellion. See how things are. See if we can win. Within a burn he was outside Amber's room and sent the guard to fetch Langredoc. "Thank you for taking care of our endeavor while I was asleep. Could you give me the latest news so I could take over?" And he listened to the report. No questions were asked as the other man spoke. Only an occasional nod was offered. "Good. Well, done. I have a few more tasks for you. Send messengers to the Clans holds nearby. Tell them that the 'Peacemaker' is seeking to undo the peace he forged. They will understand. They are to send representatives here. A war is coming and to win we need an army. A large army. Do that and then get some rest. That's an order. I'll watch over Amber"

He waited until the man departed before he entered the room where Amber slept. Only she was not sleeping when he came in. Moving the chair closer the big man sat and smiled. For a few flickers he merely watched. "Good morning, sleeping beauty. Feeling better? I am so glad to see you. But, a few things bug me. A few questions that are left without an answer. I can't find those alone I need your help. Perhaps you can help me." And here his smile disappeared. "See, my dear friend, I wonder where the heck did you come from? And how did you find me? And most importantly, what did you mean by You are dead.... last night, just before you passed out? And don't try to deny it or write it off as a hallucination. You were aware of what you said. So care to talk?" And he just sat there waiting.
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

A hand keeps her from the ultimate release. A cry of despair pierces the air. It takes a while before the girl recognizes her own voice. With the knife gone she is without help. She refuses to open her eyes, afraid to see Noir's face and the promise of a whole new world of pain.

Despite the darkness the pain is still here. It gnaws at her from the inside out. If only there is a moment without agony, she might be able to fight back. The constant attacks on her frail body are too much. There is no hope of things getting better. There is no hope of the pain ending.
There is no hope.
No hope.
No.

"No...please...no..." Syrawenn groaned, trying her best to push away the hands touching her. She tossed around, evading the blankets holding her until energy ran out again and the young woman fell back into deep dreams.

He should not touch her. The girl is dreading the moment he will. So many yahren with less than kind men and all her self defense mechanisms are gone now that she is confronted with the one man it all started with. He can't touch her. She has to keep on fighting, but why? Everyone is dead.

"You well and awake, Syra." A voice. A woman. "Alive am I in the Keep. No Gavin. Heal Syra."

No.
No more healing just to start all over again. No more tricks to have his fun. Death is the final station. Death it has to be in order to find peace.

Again the blankets were thrown off.

"It's Sevti. Follow my voice, Syra."
Sevti?
Not dead?
The girl turns towards that voice. Is this another trick to make her malleable to Noir's plans?

"I am truth. Listen and know."

She wants to believe.
She needs to believe.
If there is nothing left, what is lost by taking a risk?
Nothing.

Syrawenn opened her eyes. Through a haze Sevti's familiar face filled her vision. A cry came out as she flung herself in her friend's arms. "Get me out...please!" She whispered, shivering and sweating at the same time. "Get me out..."

Back she fell into the pillow, worn out with the effort. Her eyes remained fixed on the priestess by her side, not believing what she saw. "What is the dream?" She urged. "Which one is the dream...where...what...Thirsty..."

Silence.
The girl slept.

The remainder of the night and the beginning of the morning were spent asleep. There was less tossing although her murmurs never really stopped.

She was vaguely aware of something heavy being drawn over her resting body. Slowly but surely the cold was chased off until there was only comfortable warmth soothing the aches.

Syrawenn woke up, forcing out a shiver. She drew up the covers and took a deep breath.
Pain.
She winced in silence, letting her breath go slowly.

There was light and fresh air. Her eyes scanned the room. Sevti. No Noir. A wolf's pelt on the bed.

Wolf.
Gavin.

"GAVIN!"
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber almost, almost smiled as Gavin spoke to her. He had never been easy to fool. She did look like she was asleep, but in fact, she hadn't been asleep since her dream. She was tired, but rest eluded her. Her green eyes opened slowly, and her gaze was already fixed on his. A strange light burned within them, one that he would not be familiar with, not in her anyway. It wasn't hatred, but neither was it love, or fear, or anger... it would have been hard for even her to describe.

"I'll live," she said quietly, her eyes never leaving his. "And as always, you ask a lot of questions." She sat up slowly, wincing as her brusied side sent lances of pain through her body. "As for where I came from, like you, I have always been here. It's just that you were so busy with your... plans... that you didn't notice me around. Which is understandable. We are both busy people these days, and I must admit I wasn't exactly keeping close tabs on you either. And then you disappeared, and I thought maybe I sould try to find you."

She smiled a bit, although it wasn't a partciularly pleasant or friendly expression. "As for how I found you, well... it wasn't hard. I just had to follow the parties sent out to track you, and then once I got close enough, I started toward the massive bloodbath, thinking you'd be in the middle of it. And I was right. I found you."

She was silent for a moment, and finally looked away, gazing out the window in the room. When she looked back at him, her eyes were a bit sad. "I've missed you," she said quietly, and there was no deception in her voice.
Cowgirls Exotica's "Queen of Hearts" - 2008
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

The priestess' patience paid off. Syra's eyes openned, still wild with fever but focusing on the young panling. ""What is the dream?" Syrawenn urged. "Which one is the dream...where...what...Thirsty..."

"Shhhh...." Sevti quieted her friend, continuing to brush a cool hand across her brow. "This is what is the reality. Everyone is alive, Syra." Taking her hand from Syra for a moment, she poured a mug of water from the pitcher at the bedside table. Then, snaking an arm under her friend's head, she helped her to rise just enough to slowly quench her thirst.

"You're going to be ok, Syra. We all are. You need your rest. Your body, mind and soul all need your rest. So go back to sleep." Sevti smiled, a gentle curve of her lips, as she lowered her friend back to the bed and placed the mug back on the table. "I'll still be here when you wake again. However many times you wake. And when you're feeling a little better, I'll send someone for Gavin."

Just before Syra drifted back into an uncomfortable sleep, Sevti rose from her chair just enough to place a cool kiss on her friend's forehead, hoping that it, too, would ease her slumber.

It was about a mark before her husband came in to join her, exhaustion lining his face. The priestess looked up at him with a soft smile filled with love. "Rest, Faliou," she told him. "You've had a long day." Much like she had kissed Syra's forehead to send her into peaceful slumber, she did the same for her husband - though this time the gentle kiss was placed directly on his lips and her dark eyes shone with love as she watched sleep overtake him.

For several marks, she watched her friend and her love, both lost in slumber, though Syra's was far more fitful than Abeo's. Most of her time was spent exchanging the cool cloths on her friend's forehead, but every once in awhile, she would rise from her chair just to stand close to her husband, gently touch his cheek, and be grateful that this day saw them all ready to face another one.

It was a mark after sunrise when Gavin entered. Like she, he was keeping a silent vigil over Syrawenn from the moment he entered. He's aged so much, Sevti thought, taking her eyes from the younger woman to study the man that loved her. In many ways, it's like his body has now caught up with his soul. He's been old for so long. Yet... now that he has Syra, now that she's safe, there's something young about him again. This is far from over, but I worry less.

She watched him kiss her cheek, saw the surprise in his eyes at the heat still eminating from her skin. With great gentleness, he placed his large wolfskin over the girl's sleeping form and Sevti smiled. Yes. I worry a lot less now that he's found her and she's safe.

She sat beside him in silence as he crouched, watching Syra's slumber. The Panling was a little surprised when his arm encircled her in a wordless hug. She'd honestly thought that he was so concerned for his love that the fact she was there did not register - and she wouldn't have expected less. She'd been much the same the one time Abeo had been seriously injured, several moons ago.

As Gavin turned to her and spoke, she returned his smile, much stronger and full of understanding. "I will, Gavin. You have my promise. And she's better than she had been. Her dreams are still bad, but not nearly like they were earlier. She woke briefly and I hope my words helped her through the roughest part of the dream."

She placed a soft hand on her friend's cheek. "She's going to be well, Gavin. Physically, definitely. And for everything else... we'll see her through it."

She watched him rise and leave. Then went back to her own vigil.

The priestess didn't even think of her own energy levels, being held high as she watched over this small domain. The fact that she had been awake for the last day didn't enter into her thoughts. All that mattered was that Syrawenn was safe and getting better, and that Abeo regained his own lost strength through his deep sleep. He hadn't even stirred when Gavin entered, didn't even realize that which was going on around him.

Lost in her own musing, she didn't notice her charge's eyes open and glance around the room, fever broken. She didn't realize Syra was awake until the single word errupted from her friend's lips. "GAVIN!"

Sevti turned back from where she had been watching her husband to quickly take in her friend. She looks better. The fever is gone. Thank you, Pan, for helping see her through this safely.

"Syra, Gavin's fine," she leaned over to rest her hand on Syra's shoulder, gently keeping her pressed to the bed. "He stopped in a mark or two ago to check on you. There are some things for him to attend to here, but he will be back. I promise." She kept her voice low, soothing. "He even asked me to send someone to get him when you woke. Which I'll do. But YOU need to continue to rest. You're better, my friend, but you aren't well yet. Noir - and you - did a lot of damage to you, no matter how someone tried to heal you in the meantime. You need to heal."

She paused for a heartbeat, her dark eyes searching out her friend's, refusing to look away until Syra met her gaze. "All of you needs to heal, Syrawenn."
Tickle-fight champion.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

"Good, good. I was worried for a while that your wound was worse than it is." He awaited her answers patiently and uttered not a word as she spoke. Yet, her answers were not what he sought. She is hiding something. The answer to the last question. Let us see if I can make her slip up. And a smile returned to his face. "There was a reason why I left you in the Citadel. Our current Caesar made me do something I never did before. He made me break my word. Or rather he broke it for me." He gazed into her eyes and the smile was gone once more. "I gave my word to your mom that I will see you safe. And I battled a demon and went to war for you. I gave my word to Syra that I will never leave her, and look at me now. I offered my soul, but the spirits were kind. They only took my youth."

For a few flickers he was silent and his face was slowly getting flushed. "I promised I would get my revenge on Silk and look at me now. I am a rebel and an outlaw." A deep breath that was meant to calm him down and then a smile returned. "But, I am glad you found me. I could use your help. And more than that I could use your company. My friends are few. My enemies are many. I need my friends. I need you." And this was where his plan shattered. What was meant as a trap, trapped him instead. He really meant those words. He really needed her.

Yet, he was Gavin. And if he was anything, he was disciplined. The words stopped as his jaw tightened and she could hear his teeth grinding against each other as he tried to force the words he needed to say out, although he did not want to. "One thing still remains unanswered." And his eyes narrowed to a pair of slits like dagger wounds as the big man leaned closer. "What.... did.... you.... mean....when.... you.... said....You are dead.... last..." Each word was followed by a short pause and there was no mistake he was very serious. But, he never finished the question. A scream was heard and his back straightened. Syra. Something is wrong. And without knowing he rose and turned drawing his sword out, ready to rush to the other girl and make sure she was safe.
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber's eyes were unreadable as Gavin spoke to her. It was amazing she thought. Seven years, and aside from the sudden aging he'd just suffered, he really hadn't changed a whole lot. He was still spewing that whole "we're friends, and friends need each other" nonsense. Once, when she'd been just a girl of 17 years of age, innocent, naive, not really knowing anything about how the world worked, that had been enough. But as she'd grown and matured and understood more about the world, she knew it for what it was. He'd used her and others like her to help him rise to power, and then when he thought he had a chance to take over the Caesar's position, he'd rebelled. Only things hadn't gone his way. And she'd make sure he didn't get another chance.

She never even flinched as Syrawenn's scream echoed thorugh the fortress. But as Gavin straightened and turned, rising and drawing his sword, Amber moved with the fluid ease of a viper. She rose up on her knees, one arm reaching up to wrap around his shoulders before he could rise fully and move away from the bed. From within the sleeve of her longsleeved shirt, a long, slender blade appeared, so thin it was almost a needle; it had been hidden in the hem of her sleeve, and would not have been detectable with a regular search.

As her left arm tried pull him off balance back toward her, her right hand darted forward, and attempted to plunge the razor thin blade between the ribs of Gavin's right side. It wasn't a fatal blow, but it would make any movement extremely painful, designed to paralyze her victim.

"You are dead, Gavin Tylvan," she whispered in his ear. "You just don't know it yet..."
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Abeo slept on the floor in Syrawenn's room, sometimes a soft snore could be heard. At the moment that Syrawenn shouted he opened one of his eye's concluded that all was well and slept on. If he was needed, Sevti would tell.

Some food and warm drinks was brought in by the servants. Time to talk as Syrawenn felt a lot better, but very weak.....

[hr][/hr]

Amber had learned a lot in her years. And her stab to paralyse Gavin was sure and true as it pierced his body with remarkable speed. Gavin was older and slower then he used to be, but nothing was wrong with his reflexes and resolve. In a reflex his fist lashed out at Amber hitting her where it would hurt most, hammering at the wound in her side, causing a explosion of pain. Then he staggered backwards, his mind forcing his body to move, although the dagger had found its mark. He could force it to make some steps, to collapse against the back wall of the room.
Last edited by Gwayne of Vendeling on Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Posting on possible days Avatar from our lady Finley.. a mistress of capturing dreams and nightmares in word and pictures.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

His mind was focused on one thing. Syrawenn's safety. And thus the attack came unseen. And he almost died. The girl was good. But, so was he. She knew him once. And he knew her. Both came a long way since that day. Long past were the days when he had to plan his moves. His body did the fighting now. And so it reacted when she struck. His right side was limp, but his left was still mobile and so his left hand lashed back.

His index and middle finger came together and he struck the spot where he saw the paladins axe strike. And as soon as her grip loosened he moved forward. His right hand and leg were useless. But, Gavin still had his left hand. And he was armed. She was not. A spasm gripped his right side and the right hand twitched finally settling in a claw like position. He knew he was bleeding. And he knew he was hurt. But, he could still fight.

Leaning heavily upon the wall he straightened his body a body, dragging his back across the cold stone. The sword rested in his left hand, big man's grip a bit awkward, but still firm. There was a taste of blood on his lips as his eyes sought Amber. And for a few flicker he merely watched his breath coming out in ragged wheezes. Another effort and he moved a few inches up, but that was all he could manage. He had strength for one more strike and he was content to wait for her to come. He might die, but so would she.

He only needed to provoke her to come closer. Sure, he could have called a guard. But, this was personal now. She would die by his hand. Here and now. He only needed her to come closer. A feral sneering split his lips and his canines flashed in the dim room. "I... do .... not..... die.... so..... easily....." A few flickers more pass as Gavin steadies his breathing and when he speaks again his voice is steady once more. "Once I had a friend and her name was Amber. I would have done anything for her. I faced a demon. I went to war. I would have died for her." The grin slowly melts and a look of sorrow is in its place now. "I see my efforts were in vain. She died long ago. I tried to save her body, yet it was her soul that died. All Silk touches turns to dust. Even my friends."

And suddenly he knew. He knew what she was all along. Knew that this was her destiny. To kill from the back. To betray. Or so he thought. "It was him that sent you, wasn't it? Our glorious Caesar? No matter." The Dortman gritted his teeth and pushed himself up a bit more. "You choose you own loyalties. Just tell me something. Why was he better than me? What did he offer you? What have I done wrong? What have I done to earn this.... this.... this treachery? And do not deny it. You betrayed me. I never betrayed you." And for the last time he pushed himself a few inches up more and waited for her strike. Waited for her to burst into rage as she always did when provoked. And then she would die. Even if it was his last act upon this world he would kill her. And her blood would mix with him. We shall be friends once more, Amber. Death will cover the gap between us.
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber's first thought as her blade struck home, exactly where she'd intended, was one of triumph. At long last, she had Gavin Tylvan right where she wanted him: bleeding and cornered! Now she could have her revenge. Now she could destroy the traitor and end his little rebellion, and return with glory to her Caeser.

Then he hit her, which he was definitely not supposed to be able to do. She shrieked in pain and rolled away, clutching her side and panting in pain as Gavin stumbled away against the wall. He was well out of arm's reach, but not out of reach of most of her remaining weapons. Oh yes.... she had more. She growled in anger as he spoke, and immediately, another razor thin blade, the twin to the first, appeared in her left hand, out of her other sleeve. All she had to do was get him down, and then the garrot hidden in the collar of her tunic could finish the job. Not even his strength would be able to resist the razor wire...

"Once I had a friend, and her name was Amber...."

She paused in her retort, and shivered a bit. She remembered those words, almost as if she'd heard him say them before. Then she remembered that he HAD said them before, seven years ago.... when he'd brought her back from the brink of despair, and helped her fight again. She shook her head, fighting off the memories, memories that started to make her feel something she hadn't felt in years.... guilt.

"I am not dust," she replied angrily, bitterly. "I am a representative of the kingdom you are trying to bring down! But it wasn't the Caesar that sent me. No... no I came of my own accord, to finish you off myself." She paused for a moment, considering his question. She came up with a hundred venemous responses, but none of them were true. Finally, she had to admit the truth. "He was never better than you, Gavin," she replied, and she realized that it was the first time she'd spoken his name in years, except when asking about where she could find him during her hunt. "He was never better. Not as a man. Maybe not even as a ruler, a leader." She drew a deep, shuddering breath, and tried not to cry as she started to tell Gavin why she was going to kill him.

"But when I first started to serve the Empire, it wasn't to serve Silk, it was to serve a dream. A dream to unite the lands and peoples under one banner, one common cause, one future of peace and prosperity. And that dream started to come under attack. People wanted to ruin it. And as I started to fight for it, it became my dream. I came to love it more than life itself. Almost as much as I loved you." She smiled then, a sad, bitter smile as she looked away from him. "You didn't know that, did you?" she whispered. "That after all this time, after all this time you've been with Syrawenn... I still loved you. Still you wished I could have been yours, just like she is now. But I was content to let that go, to let you love her, as was your right, because I had my own love: that dream. Then you turned away from the dream, and started fighting against the man who stayed the course. The Caeser is still trying to unite the lands. And here you are, fighting against that. You betrayed my dream Gavin. And that is a sin I cannot forgive." She was crying freely now. This wasn't supposed to happen. She wasn't supposed to be explaining herself to him, wasn't supposed to be feeling terrible about what she was going to do.

"I'm sorry if you felt I betrayed you," she whispered. "But there's no turning back now. It's too late for you... for me. Maybe for all of us. Too late. But what choice to I have? You told me yourself all those years ago... I have to fight..."

She drew her arm back, ready to throw the knive that would bring him down...
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Unaware of the drama playing out in the other room the weakened girl scanned her immediate surroundings. Abeo was sitting in a corner. Sevti was closeby, much to Syrawenn's surprise who somehow had thought to be alone.

The cry was not out of her mouth or she felt accutely uncomfortable...and nauseous. Holding herself upright on trembling arms her pale face turned towards Sevti.

"Where is he?" The girl asked hurriedly. "Is this the dream? Is it?" The fever was gone, but a haunted look remained in her grey eyes. "Are you okay? Are you all okay? He looked so old, Sev, so old...what did he do?"

Rest...She felt worn out, burned up. Things were not as they were supposed to be. Are you sure this is not a dream?

Noir....
Eyes darkened and turned into stone walls.

"I'll be fine." Memories slipped away into the safety of darkness, leaving only the now to deal with. Yet she had to know: "Is he...dead? What happened?"
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Outside the room Langredoc leaned tired against the door, having a talk with the guard before going to bed. He would never be able to sleep anyway if he would go to bed directly. Suddenly he got a feeling that something was wrong , maybe it was the sounds that came from the room or just a gut feeling. The guard asked what was the problem, but Langredoc ignored him while he turned towards the door. He bashed the door open who clashed against the wall. Then he dove inside the room, where Amber threatened to throw a second knife at Gavin.

He knew that he would be to late....he would never be able to close the gap before she would throw the dagger. So he just shouted "Please, NO !!!!" strangely enough he felt betrayed by Amber, and his eyes showed that....if she killed Lord Gavin..he had to kill her...

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

As she spoke his sword weaved a pattern before his body. It looked as if he was having trouble holding it, but he was far from that. With care he positioned it so it covered his neck and his heart, so even if Amber threw the dagger, he would probably live. And if she did try strike again, he was quite ready to call the guards. She deserved such a fate for what she did.

The words she said made short work of all the love he felt for the girl. How can she be so confused? So stupid? So.... jealous? Because that was just what she was. Jealous. Now I know I made the right choice that day so long ago. The choice itself was an insult for Syra. This bitch was never her equal. Not even close. And to think I almost chose her. Almost. How little it took for him to hate her. How fast she managed to destroy all he ever felt for her.

And to think he was ready to forgive her everything. Even that backstab. To think he valued her safety more than his own life. To remember all the things he did for her. Rage twisted his face and even if she did not attack he was going to do it. Even if it killed him she was going to pay for all his wasted feelings. For all he ever sacrificed for her. Every ounce of pain he suffered for her sake. His teeth were gritted and he was ready to spring forth as soon as she moved.

As the door burst open, he did not move. He did not even look that way. He merely stared at her, ready to strike back if she moved a single muscle in a way he found hostile. Ready to leap and crush her life with hat last sweep of his blade he could muster the strength for. He knew he could not fight. But, he could strike once. And he had to be sure. He could not afford a miss. And so he waited, waiting to see what she would do now.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

Sevti kept a light hand on Syra's arm - not too confining, but enough to hold her back if the girl decided to try to rise any further than she currently sat. "Everyone is fine, Syra," she reassured the younger woman. "Gavin is fine. I'll send for him in a few burns. Abeo, even though he's sleeping, is fine. I'm fine. You don't have anything to worry about. The biggest worry we've had was you." Her voice remained calm and soothing while she smiled softly.

"Noir is being held for you to end his life," she continued. "I don't know where, but Gavin will. I'm sure he'll tell you when he gets here. But," she cautioned sternly, "You're not in ANY shape to get up and take care of this at the moment. You're better, but you aren't well. If this doesn't need to be done at the moment - and with the guards Gavin has put on him, I doubt very much that it does - let yourself heal a little more before you put yourself through any more."

She paused a moment, trying to find the right words to tell her friend what Gavin had done. "Gavin... is old and gray. I don't know exactly what he did. He waited until Abeo and I had gone to bed to try whatever it was. The only thing I can guess would be an appeal to a God. Which one, I don't know. And, from what I've been able to gather from some of the things I've heard him say, he'd planned on sacrificing his life to get you out safely. From the fact that he just got older instead, I'd guess that it was Pan's intercession that kept him from being a total fool rather than just part of one. But I don't know for sure." Her dark eyes sought her friend's. "I don't know what all the consequences of this will be, Syra. I don't know if even he knows that. But it was the price he was willing to pay to see you to safety. And you ARE safe now."

With her free hand, she reached over to gently squeeze Syra's, a reassurance that she were there and would not be going anywhere. She had a feeling it was something the girl would need to be convinced of if she was ever going to answer the question Sevti was about to put to her. And, knowing the stubbornness of her friend, there was no guarantee she'd get an answer right away. But Sev needed to try. "Syra, what did Noir do to you while you were here under his control? What horrors are you face from this man?"
Tickle-fight champion.
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

It wasn't supposed to be going this way, an angry voice screamed inside her head. Kill him, kill him now! But Amber was frozen with indecision, torn by sudden grief and regret, terrified at the look on his face. She'd never seen that look before. She wasn't afraid of it because she thought she might die, but because in that look, she finally saw who the true betrayer was. It was her. She was the traitor.

"Gavin, I -" she started to say, but then the door suddenly burst open.

She shifted slightly to face the new threat, and before she could stop herself, she hurled the blade in her hand toward the new target with all her might, before she even saw who it was. Automatically, she changed her position, fluidly going into a roll that carried her to her left, farther from Gavin and Langredoc. She came up in a defensive position, coming up in the ready stance of the hand to hand combat form that was taught to all of the Royal Assassins.

"Stay away from me!" she warned, not even sure yet if she'd hit her new target. "Please... don't make me do anything more..."
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

Without thinking Langredoc moved his head hearing the dagger whistling by. It would have burried itself in his eye if he would not have reacted by instinct.

"Stay away from me!" Amber warned "Please... don't make me do anything more..." Langredoc froze in his tracks, exchanging glances with Gavin. The sound of the dagger skitting over the stones in the hallway triggered the guard the respond and follow Langredoc inside the room only to be stopped by a arm.

"Thats a bloody caesar puppet !!!" the man growled. "They are responsible for the deaths of most of us, since caesar more or less outlowed the Red Warrior. A hand like that was also responsible for your death LANGREDOC......"

Langredoc just calmly responded "She is a friend, go for a lady healer let her come to help Lord Gavin. And tell the kitchen to prepare a breakfast....deliver it here in a mark.

"I am in front of the door..." he remarked towards Lord Gavin and stepped backwards closing the door again. His eyes fixed at Amber while he left.
[quote]I am the warrior of the raven, traveling from war to war feeding on the dead and the living alike. Until darkness fall's.[/quote]

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

A snorting laughter shook Gavin as Amber scrambled away. He almost jumped at her, but realized he would never get to her fast enough. He took a breath to shout for the guards, but then heard the dagger clatter to the ground. And only then looked to the side. Langredoc. And the man looked unharmed. A grim smile spread across Gavin's lips at the guard words. Hear that, girl. You are a puppet. You killed Langredoc.

And as Langredoc turned to leave Gavin motioned for him. "Wait. I am leaving too. I have nothing to say to traitors and backstabbers." He waited for the other man to help him leave and as he left turned to Amber and with a cold and impassive face snorted. "When I have a problem I speak to people about it. And if they are my friends I ask them to help me. I don't stab them in the back with a knife. Not even if they refuse to see things my way. Good bye. We are through. Forever." And then he turned and left the room.

"Take me to Syra." And with a final glance at the door behind he spat on the ground. "Bloody traitor. And I was happy to see her again. I fought a demon for her. I would hev given my life for her. Once. Not anymore. She is lost. I hope the trade was worth it. I hope she is happy with her Caesar." He hobbled along and paused after a few steps. "She is yours. Do whatever you want with her. I don't care anymore. Just don't get her in my sight. Or I will kill her. Now, let us go. I have lost plenty of blood as it is." And he let the other man take him to the healer.
Last edited by Gavin Tylvan on Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

At Gavin's remarks made Langredoc stop the guard and revoking the earlyer orders and just ordered him to guard the door.

"Ill return with your food, in a mark Lady Amber..." he said.

Then he started to close the door.
[quote]I am the warrior of the raven, traveling from war to war feeding on the dead and the living alike. Until darkness fall's.[/quote]

Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Hand on her arm, keeping her from moving.
Syrawenn flinched, immediately covering her reaction up with a scowl as she drew her arm back. "Nothing to worry bout? If Noir is alive we have something to worry about. He...he's screwing around with potions and magics and dark creatures! How can you say guards are enough?"

Breath was running out, eyes glistening dangerously. "He's gotta go. Now. He needs to be dead NOW."

The information on Gavin's deal did nothing to soothe the woman's mind. "His life..." She mumbled, running a shaky hand through her hair. "His damn life...and how exactly did he think I'd be grateful for that? What exactly is this life if he ain't here? Damnit, I should have known."

Anger and pain rushed through her as the girl fell back into the pillows. "No good deal...safe is not good without him. If he...if he'd payed with his life, I'd have gone after him, bloody bastard deciding over my life...I don't think so...I don't...think so."

Sevti would not stop about Noir. It was irritating, especially since Syrawenn needed to figure out how to tell Gavin that his altruistic plans would never succeed. Getting pulled back into dark clouds was not the way to move on.

She turned to the priestess. Several flickers passed without speaking. "I won't think you're stupid, cause yer not." She finally started. "You saw the marks, no doubt. Let's leave it at that."

A last spark: "And I was NEVER under his control! Give me my knife and I will end him now."
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber was in shock. She had thought that killing Gavin would bring and end to her troubles, and that somehow, her world would suddenly be right again, that all would be well. That once the traitor was dead, it would all be over, and she could go back home and continue on with her illustrious career. But Gavin wasn't dead, and now, as she stood facing him and Langredoc, she couldn't make herself try to kill him. She couldn't even move. She knew if either of them attacked, she'd be dead. But as Gavin spoke to her, she knew that at long last, it was truly over between them. There was no going back now. No forgiveness to be had. All those dreams she'd had, dreams in which she'd gone to him and joined him, in which they had fought evil together, just like the old days... they were all shattered in that one, brutal instant.

As the door closed behind the two men, she slowly sank to her knees, and felt hot tears spilling down her cheeks. She didn't remember starting to cry, wasn't even sure if she wanted to cry. There was just a huge emptiness inside her. A great dark void. The realization that she couldn't go back now.

"What have I done?" she moaned to herself. "What have I done?" Her voice rose into a scream. "Oh, light, what have I done!?"

She'd ruined it all. There was nothing to go back to. She couldn't go to Gavin; he would kill her. She couldn't go back to her Caesar; she'd disobeyed his orders by hunting Gavin down, and when she returned empty handed, she would have proven him right by allowing her emotions to get in the way. She'd be cast out from the Assassins, or worse, executed for treason. She could run away; she knew the island well. She could hide for years, live as someone else. But no... She'd always been Amber Kynterle, and she didn't want to leave herself behind. Couldn't leave herself behind.

There had to be some other way. Her right hand came up and brushed against the collar of her tunic. There was another way. Her fingers could feel the heavy wire of the garrot coiled up inside there, cunningly hidden. Her eyes drifted upward. There were small iron loops embedded in the beams of the ceiling, likely meant for hanging wet clothes from, or perhaps curtains to temporarily divide the room in two. But they could be used for something else today. Something that would make a difference. Something that would make the world a better place...

Trembling with the knowledge of what she was about to do, Amber Kynterle stood and dragged a chair over beneath one of the beams. Then, she carefully pulled the garrot from her collar, and glanced up at the ceiling. It would take some doing, but it could be done. And it would be quick. Not very dignified, but then, an Assassin lived with the knowledge that her death could be brutal, bloody, and painful all the time. This was no different. At least she would die before there was nothing left of the Amber that had once walked the earth, smiling and laughing in the company of her friends, looking forward to the next adventure. There was still a part of her left, deep down inside, and she watched silently, longing for the final release...
Last edited by Amber Kynterle on Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

A huge yawn and a stretching movement from Abeo, made clear that he was awake. Slowly rising from the floor he dryly remarked "Well my dearest, this discussion shall have to wait." A smile appeared on his face. "She would never tell you anything with me around anyway, if I know her good enough."

Abeo thought... If she would tell anybody. But the marks on her body told a lot, and my dear did see them as well.

Sevti looked up and smiled towards her husband then she turned to Syrawenn and said "Noir is a prisoner in this castle, waiting for his judgement..."

Abeo stepped forward and swept Sevti of her feet. "So dear, now its time for you to get some sleep. Ill stay with you, but you have taken care of almost everybody in this heap of stones. So now its time for you to dream. Gavin shall join Syrawenn soon enough."

Although Sevti complained that she was not ready yet, that Syrawenn needed attention...that several people had to be checked. Did it turn out that she had no choice, because Abeo just closed her lips with his and walked on, towards the room they shared.

[hr][/hr]

Langredoc went to the kitchen with Gavin where a young lady treated the wounds of the lord.

Langredoc also told Gavin that by now almost sixty Red Warrior followers had reached the castle. Many with their families, after many years of living in hiding. All of the kitchen staff had been replaced by the women of these warriors, to make sure that poison would not be the easy way to get rid of him or the others. The meeting of the clan leaders and others would now happen here, in the castle. Some of the priestesses also had already arrived under the cover of the night. The rest of the servants where being checked to see who could stay and who had to go.
They also had released about twenty six prisoners, several of them where abused women and girls.

Langredoc guided the man back to the room of Syrawenn, where two guards eyed them first suspiciously when they arrived. Langredoc waited until Gavin had entered the room, then returned to the kitchen to get the breakfast he had promised the woman called Amber.

[hr][/hr]

Balancing on a chair Amber did throw the garrote over the beam just to find out that it was just to short the serve its purpose. So she had to make it longer with pieces of the bedcover. The now enlarged noose would serve fine. So Amber balanced again on the chair, grabbing the noose to place it around her neck.

But this day the Gods or Goddesses had clearly a different idea of her being alive or dead. The chair he used, was a old one and had to be repaired, something that was known to the carpenter of the stronghold, but not to Amber....until now.

Crack

Amber tumbled to the ground, even her well balanced reflexes could not stop her head from hitting the ground. A with stars mixed darkness engulfed her vision...

A splitting head age was the first thing she noticed. The fact that she was in a bed again, and that something cold was covering her head was the second. That she was naked below the blankets was the third.....

"Well, the warm parts of your breakfast are now cold, I have to say." A voice remarked dryly. A voice she recognized as from the guy named Langredoc.

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin was exhausted by the time they reached the kitchen. He was sweating profusely and just collapsed into a chair and let the woman Langredoc called tend to his wound. His vision went black for a few flickers as the blade was pulled out and blood gushed out through the hole. He lost sense of time and only the sight of woman preparing a bandage told him it was mere flickers. The entire right side of his body was numb, but the curled muscles relaxed as the blade was pulled out.

He was a little worried at the lack of feeling in that side as all the muscles went numb. With a grunt he tried to laugh. "Well, I'll admit you one thing. That bitch got me good. And she managed to surprise me. What a fool I am." And then the feeling started to return to his right side and he regretted it. The pain was excruciating and his eyes were closed as he listened to Langredoc's report. It was almost two burn before the pain subsided enough for him to open his eyes.

"Okay. That was not pleasant. Good thing I did not try to pull it out back there. I would have been at her mercy." With a nod he smiled at the woman as she finished binding his wound. "Thank you. I'll try not to require this sort of attention too often." And only then did his attention turn to Langredoc. His face became serious again and he nodded once. "Alright. I know I don't need to remind you, but send the scouts out. The retaliatory strike will come soon. I want to be ready when it comes. Make sure we have plenty of supplies. And seal the secret passage. They are bound to know of it. We might have to leave the Castle depending on their strength. But, I would rather keep possession of it."

A slight pause as he gathered his thoughts. "The priestesses.... See if we can find a suitable place for them. If they want they can set up a temporary temple on the grounds. While I am not a very religious man, so of the people that will join us are so better to make sure they have a place to pray. And we will need every help we can get. Even the Gods. Get me a complete list of supplies. And get someone working on the forge. Fix the broken stuff and make new weapons and armor. Gods know we will need every weapon we can get our hands on." Another brief stop and then another list of instructions. "I told Abeo already, but we need to fix that door. Also, see if we can salvage some equipment from the battlefield. Strip the enemy troops of their gear before you bury them. I don't have to tell you what funeral to arrange for our men. Burn them in full battle gear. Now, if you'll excuse me I am going to see a certain girl and lie down a bit. Loss of too much blood makes me a bit dizzy."

And with a grin he allowed the other warrior to guide him to Syra's room. He did stop before the door and shooed him away. "I can handle it from here. Go and do something useful." And with a deep breath he opened the door. She was alone. A single step forward and he realized he was limping. Darn. Oh, well. I shall have to tell her sooner or later. A meek grin spread over his lips as he shuffled forward and collapsed into a chair. A few flicker passed before he spoke. "Heya. Feeling better? Now, before you ask anything, lemme speak a bit. Yes, I am limping. I just got stabbed in the side. And I am pissed. Amber did it. Remember her? Well, she works for the Caesar now. And she kinda backstabbed me. When I was not looking. Almost got me. I am fine now. Or maybe not fine, but fine enough. I think I will be okay."

A brief pause as he scowled a bit at another wave of pain and then a smile formed on his lips once more. "Now, I don't know if they told you, but we got Noir. He is tied up tight and two men are guarding him. And by that I mean watching him at all times. He is yours. He hurt you. Now you get to hurt him. Fair?"
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Dammit! That was Amber's last thought as she smacked her head on the floor and blacked out. She couldn't even kill herself right, let alone anyone else...

She woked up with a soft whimper, inhaling sharply in pain as a white lance of agony shot through her head. It felt like her skull was going to explode, but instead of doing so, it just kept hurting. It felt like there was a cold cloth over her forehead, but it wasn't helping much. She tried to open her eyes... and nearly yelped. That was a mistake. The light was too bright at first, and she had to blink for a long time before she could see anything besides blurs and a big cloud of white. She shifted a bit in the bed, and that was when she realized that she wasn't wearing her clothes anymore. She was naked beneath the blankets. She figured it was probably a smart move on the part of her captors; she'd had several more weapons of various sorts concealed in them....

The voice of Langredoc startled her, and she suddenly felt vulnerable. She curled up protectively beneath the blankets, despite the fact that he couldn't see her. But he had seen her, if he was the one that had removed her clothing. She shuddered a bit at that idea. She started up at the ceiling, refusing to look at him.

"Fuck breakfast," she muttered softly. "I won't be needing it..."
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

That voice!
He was alive!

Syrawenn sat up straight as the limping man found his way to a chair and crashed in it.

He is alive!

Her heart was ready to burst, relief washing over her so strongly that tears were ready to spring to her eyes.

No.
No more tears.
Ever.

She needed something stronger to keep them from falling.
Anger.
She needed lots and lots of anger.

Working herself up to exactly that state she listened, the story of Amber's backstabbing fuelling what she had initiated herself.
Angry.
Very, very angry.

And here he was: tired, grey and wounded.
But alive.

Mixed emotions fought for a place. She was stunned at knowing the reason for his appearance, angry at him daring to think her life was worth a banner without him in it, overjoyed at seeing him, horrified at the thought of Noir alive in this castle, scared of anyone asking her about it and again anger...at everything she could not grasp or understand.

The blankets were thrown back and with some nervous anticipation the young woman got to the side of the bed and put her feet on the floor. Her ankles were stiff. She frowned and put her weight on them, trying to use her breath to regulate the sharp stings that shot up from her feet. With a few careful steps she was at Gavin's side, going down on her knees next to him while her hands were on his knees.

"You...alright, you don't deserve to be backstabbed, but by everything that is....well, by everything that exists, you damn well deserve a kick to your BUTT!"

It was so convenient to be sitting down again. The short trip had taken most of her breath away again and sitting was...bliss.

"Where do you get the nerve to decide what's right for me, eh? Yeah, I heard...I know that aging was not the plan, but death was. I'll tell you now: had that happened, I'd have joined you in the afterlife! So much for safety! I don't WANT to be safe if that means you croak!"

Breathe....breathe....oh bloody hell, I'm dizzy.

"Forget it for now. It didn't happen, lucky you. And I won't kick. Yet. Yer wounded, you need to rest. And I need your knife. Got some unfinished business to take care of."

And how are you gonna get to Noir, eh?
I DON'T CARE! He should not be alive a flicker longer than absolutely necessary and I don't want Gavin there! I don't want him to see...I don't want him to know...This is my fight and nobody elses' business!

Return to “Erulzat Archives”