Proving it to the Master - Naddali, Samheen 25, MT

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Sevti
Retired staff

Proving it to the Master - Naddali, Samheen 25, MT

Post by Sevti »

One week after the old druid's death, someone came to see Naddali. The old adhiel claimed that he had been a friend of Shaper Fiorin Tyrol - as Naddali now knew the old druid had been called - and had been going through his things after his death. A letter had been left for her, he explained, found among Shaper Tyrol's things. With a bow, he handed her the letter and handed her the letter and left.

It seemed that Shaper Tyrol had listened to her as much as she to him and sought to help her become a battlemage. He had written her the enclosed letter of introduction to one Battlemage Royal, who could be found at the Great Palace. He was difficult, the letter warned, but the best there was. The letter would get him in his door but the rest was up to her. He wished her luck and left a promise that, should she need him, she need but return to the woods to visit him and he would do what he could.

The letter was dated the day Shaper Tyrol died.

[hr]

The Great Palace of Kislovan is perched on a small hill overlooking the coast on the eastern side of the River Cerl. Its colonnaded approach runs up the hillside through terraced gardens, kept lush and gorgeous by the Shaper Royal, Master Bandir; nature and artifice beautifully entwined. The sounds of bird song fill the air, even as the heady fragrance of tropical blossoms drifts on the warm breeze.

Surrounding the walled palace, in truth a highly decorated castle, is what at first glance appears to be an ordinary small lake, as if it is merely a large reflecting pool in the gardens. However, it server a definite defensive function, for it is a moat, crossed only by a red and black lacquered wooden bridge which could apparently be retracted if the palace were to come under attack, although the mechanism for this was well concealed. Yet the simple beauty of the lake and bridge in this setting obscures their practicality.

The high, unyielding exterior walls are softened in appearance by plaster in off-white, and topped with large half-circles, painted in patterns of blues and purples. Here is one place where vegetation had not been encouraged, or even allowed, to grow. The barbican can be sealed off, as is evinced by the ivory tips of a stout wooden portcullis showing across the top of the broad opening. This traditional gateway opens into an inner garden court, rather than a bailey; a more intimate floral experience than beyond the walls. Tropical birds and blossoms abound; a wondrous experience for the senses.

The palace itself is of several storeys, differing from point to point, making it a cacophony of varying roof-lines, including several domes of varying sizes, plastered and painted in blue, green and gold, as well as tiled roofs. The walls are also plastered in off-white and decorated with painted friezes in geometric designs in brown, red and blue. Plants seem to be growing on parts of the roofs and on balconies, making it look as if the structure is alive with vegetation.

Long, broad steps lead up to a colonnaded entry that appears to be formed by trees forming a canopy above the huge wooden double doors. The gilded doors soar well over twice the height of the average Adhiel, and stand open during public hours, welcoming visitors into the vast entrance chamber known as the Great Hall. This chamber, its ceiling forming the first dome, is a huge open space, broken only by plastered and painted columns. Clerestory windows bathe the space in natural light, augmented by lamps hung on the columns. The Great Hall’s walls are hung with brightly coloured fabrics, depicting historical and mythological scenes; works of great art and craftsmanship. Potted trees and flowering plants flourish even here.

Here the nobility and wealthier merchants and artisans mingle, the buzz of conversation rarely pausing during public hours. Deals are struck, fortunes made and lost, as the vague scent of incense and the nearly invisible servants weave their way through the chamber. Not all who gather here are awaiting a royal audience. Indeed, there are those who merely come to see and be seen, or hear and be heard.[/hr][hr]

“Eabh ta seodhiu inaidha,” a young woman called in greeting, sweeping into an appropriately gauged curtsy. She was clad in the traditional sari, and the pale green of the cotton fabric declared her position as a servant of the palace. “How may a Page of the Great Palace be of service to you?” she asked, with a polite smile.[/hr]
Last edited by Sevti on Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"First let's just unzip your religion down" - [i]Crazy[/i], Tori Amos
Tickle-fight champion.
[i]Avatar is At the Edge of the World by Electra[/i]
Vesatra Ruis

Post by Vesatra Ruis »

Naddali curtsied in acknowledgement of the woman's greeting and looked about her at the immense beauty and grace of the surrounding area. Her sapphire eyes nearly doubled in size as she took in the surrounding architecture and landscaping that surrounded her. She felt extremely awkward in her plain attire, even moreso as she approached the woman who had greeted her. All her life until now had been spent in a small village and the woods surrounding it. Traveling from an area of familiarity to a place where everything was so grand and opulent shook her resolve and made her seriously consider returning home. 'If I leave now I will never know my true potential. This may all be new and foreign to me, but eventually I'll get used to it.' Shaking herself mentally, she steeled herself for the events ahead and did her best to look confident.

"Namaste," she said whilst finding the strength to smile warmly, "Please excuse me but could you possibly tell me where I might find the Battlemage Royal? I was close to a former friend of his and would like to speak with him, if I may." She knew as she spoke the words that her fear and intimidation were evident, but there was no helping it. All she could hope was that the woman wouldn't have her removed for looking and sounding like a peasant. Almost as if it were an after thought, she removed the letter that Shaper Tyrol had written to her from her backpack. She had read it over many times the day she received it, and each time she read it she could almost hear him speaking to her. Holding the letter gently in her hand, she showed the seal to the woman to prove that she was telling the truth. "I also have this letter to deliver to him. It is very important that he receives it." She sounded confident as she spoke, and she felt more confident. The letter had given her the courage to come this far, it would be an insult to her friend to not take the chance he had given her.
Last edited by Vesatra Ruis on Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

While the woman's smile never wavered, her eyes held a slight scorn when Naddali started speaking. She obviously recognized the young adhiel for the peasant that she was, but did give her the opportunity to speak her piece before deciding just WHERE she would direct the girl.

The look didn't change when the letter and the seal were shown, but surprisingly, she did not show her the entrance once more.

"Gladly, Madam," the woman replied. "May I first inquire your name, to give to Battlemage Royal?"

She waited, hands folded behind her back.
Tickle-fight champion.
Vesatra Ruis

Post by Vesatra Ruis »

Her confidence wavered slightly when she saw the scorn that showed in the woman's eyes. She was a peasant asking to see possibly the most important person in Kislovan. Nevertheless, she was here. She had made it this far, there was no way she was not going to see the Battlemage Royal. "My name is Naddali Ruis, a friend to the late Shaper Fiorin Tyrol. It was his wish that I meet with the Battlemage Royal." Feelings of discomfort and fear started to eat at the edges of her mind, but she batted them away and focused on the situation at hand. She smiled to herself as she awaited the woman's decision. 'I trust in the Father and in my friend. They will not lead me astray. On the wings of eagles I will find my path and follow it until the end of my days.' Hope filled her as she finished her silent prayer. Now all she could do was wait.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

The woman's eyes widened slightly at Shaper Tyrol's name, Shaper Tyrol, friends with a peasant like this? Well, it's for Battlemage Royal to sort truth from lies, she thought as she curtsied again.

"Then this way please, Madam," she requested, leaving the letter in Naddali's hands.

She led Naddali through a large, pillard main hall and through one of the many arched corridors that moved away from it. There were doors spaced at intervals along the walls, some with labels that indicated their occupants, others remaining blank. Most likely, it seemed, she was being brought through the administrative section of the Palace.

Soon they were standing in front of a set of highly decorated arched doors. The woman rapped two staccato taps on one of the doors. A voice from the other side called out, "Come," and she opened one door enough for her to speak with the person on the other side.

"Someone is here to see Battlemaster Royal. A Naddali Ruis. Is he in?"

The voice on the other side of the door answered in the affirmative and Naddali's guide opened the door wider to admit the aspiring battlemage.

Immediately inside the room stood a writing desk, a smiling older woman seated behind it. "Madam Ruis," she greeted the young woman the moment she was in sight. "Welcome to Battlemage Royal's office. How may I serve you today?"
Tickle-fight champion.
Vesatra Ruis

Post by Vesatra Ruis »

Relief flooded through her like a wind through the trees. Her confidence had proven well-placed as she followed the woman through the arched corridors. She let her thoughts wander as she walked, finally relaxing as she passed her first obstacle. 'I wonder what the Battlemage Royal is like. Tyrol had said he was difficult... I wonder what he meant by that.' She shrugged off her musings as the woman opened a set of imposing but beautifully decorated doors. Words were exchanged and Naddali was allowed to enter.

Her heart began to race as she stepped across the threshold. All kinds of thoughts raced through her mind in the second it took for her to enter. When she saw the older woman smiling at her, she settled down some. Not wanting to appear shaken, she smiled to the older woman and said, "I have a letter from the Shaper Fiorin Tyrol to deliver to the Battlemage Royal. It is very important that he receives it." She hoped she didn't sound haughty or anything remotely similar to it. All she wanted was to meet the Battlemage Royal and see for herself if she had what it took to be a battlemage.

'Father help this humble adhiel have the courage to go through with this! My friend, I only wish for you to be there with me. I know with you there I will have the strength to not fall apart. Why must I be so afraid? I'm not about to face a god, I'm about to meet a person. Get a hold of yourself, Naddali. FOCUS.'

She took a breath and focused her thoughts on the present as she waited for the older woman to answer.
Last edited by Vesatra Ruis on Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

The woman's smile never wavered as she listened to Naddali's reply. This... girl... comes from Shaper Tyrol? With a letter for the Battlemaster Royal? I know the man had strange tastes, sitting in the woods for days on end. He may have met her there. Or she could just be trying a desperate measure to see the Battlemaster Royal for training. She wouldn't be the first. And she certainly looks nervous enough. There are ways to test her.

"And how is Shaper Tyrol of late?" she asked, almost conversationally. "It's been some time since he's visited Battlemaster Royal Falgan. I hope all is well?" She held out one well-manicured hand for the letter that Naddali held so she could inspect it herself.
Tickle-fight champion.
Vesatra Ruis

Post by Vesatra Ruis »

When the questions registered to her, a feeling of intense pain swept through as if she had been kicked full-force by a Kislovan warhorse. Her mind swirled slowly with memories and emotions still too fresh to be controlled. It had barely been two weeks, but this was not the place nor the time to mourn. Her voice wavered as she spoke, but she did her best to sound calm. "I am sorry to be the bringer of such sad news, but Shaper Tyrol passed into the god's keeping barely two weeks ago. He was greatly mourned for, and is sorely missed by many who knew him." It was too soon for her not to have felt immense sorrow over the loss of her friend. They had spent five years in each other's company exchanging stories and wisdom. When she closed her eyes at night, She could still see that quirky smile of his.

Regaining her composure through sheer will, she slowly handed the letter to the older woman. She fervently hoped that she wasn't wrong for coming here. So much so soon... Maybe I should have waited to come. There are so many reminders of him here. I just have to get through this meeting, then I can sort out all of this. There's so much to sort out, but so little time to do it in! Naddali took a second to quell her emotions and put forth a calm demeanor as she waited for the woman's reaction.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

The woman showed no surprise or dismay at the news. It was as though she either already knew or was very, very good at hiding her emotions. At least the girl didn't lie, she thought as she took the proffered letter from the adhiel in front of her. If she is lying, she at least has the sense to do her homework. And is a netherbound good actress. I could almost believe those tears.

Still seated at her desk, she glanced at the unbroken seal and nodded once, recognizing the seal as Shaper Tyrol's. Setting it on the desk before her, she steepled her hands, elbows resting on the desk. "And when did Shaper Tyrol ask you to give this letter to the Battlemage Royal Keallach Falgan? Have you been holding on to it since his before death several weeks ago when it's possible it may have been of much more importance than that? Did he even tell you what it was about to let you make such a decision on your own?" The questions were asked softly but there was challenge in her voice. She truly was the asp that guarded the lion's den.

Her nails clicked against each other one after another as she drummed her fingers together, bright green eyes carefully studying the girl before her, waiting for her answer.
Last edited by Sevti on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tickle-fight champion.
Vesatra Ruis

Post by Vesatra Ruis »

She calmly locked gazes with the older woman as she began to realize that she was being tested, and failing all at the same time. The time for tears would have to wait. If she wanted to become a battlemage, she would have to start showing those around her that she was capable of it. First off, she had to answer some questions.

"I received this letter as well as another about a week after Shaper Tyrol had passed on from a adhiel friend of his. The two letters had been found amongst his things shortly after his death. One letter, a letter of introduction, was meant to give me a chance to meet the Battlemage Royal. It also explained that the Battlemage Royal could be found at the Great Palace. The other was a personal letter wishing me luck in my future as well as continued friendship and hope. The letters were dated the day he died. As for the time differences, It takes more than a couple of days to travel on foot between regions in Kislovan. As you can most likely see, not everyone is lucky enough to have excess money to spend on travel."

Her words answered the woman's challenge better, she thought, than any tearful monologue could. She wanted to tell this woman everything about her time with the old druid who had become friend, father-figure, and mentor to her all in the span of a few days. The years they had together in company were the best she could remember. Never had she enjoyed the company of one as calm and compassionate as Shaper Tyrol. She would always remember him with fondness and love.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

(OOC: In my cleverness to be... clever, I realized that I forgot to add an important detail. So... correction to the Battlemage Royal's full name in the previous post to match what I'd sent you in PM earlier. Just for your own future reference.)

Green eyes narrowed. "May I see the other letter, please? If it's not too... personal? It, too, could be of interest to the Battlemage Royal," she asked, sweetness hiding steel. Her hand was outstretched for the second piece of parchment.

There was no flaw in Naddali's tale, but it was obvious that this formidable woman was the guardian of the Battlemage Royal's time for a reason. She trusted little, and probably with good reason. The Battlemage Royal's time was precious, and always pressed upon. He was the most famous of the Kislovan Battlemages, the one most sought after to be teacher and mentor. Many with no potential and no introduction failed to make it past her sharp eye.

And also, or so rumor would have it, were many potential assassins stopped due to her efforts. Just what those efforts were though, no one would say.

While she waited, she picked up the sealed letter, ready to bring them both in for the Battlemage Royal to inspect.
Tickle-fight champion.
Vesatra Ruis

Post by Vesatra Ruis »

Naddali nodded in assent, removed the other letter from her pack, and then handed it to the older woman. She didn't want to be curt with the woman, but it seemed the only way to make a point in this place. Everything was so different from what she had grown up knowing. She knew that these obstacles she was having to pass were set in place for a reason, but it still vexed her to have to pass them.

'There is so much much that I have to learn. Politics has never been a strength of mine, so how can I make it in a place where politics determines everything? I wish you were still here, my friend. Know that you are sorely missed.'

Calmly focusing on her present situation, she waits for the older woman to act.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

A smooth hand reached out and took the parchment from her and silently read over it, nodding once or twice at some point brought up in the letter. As she reached the end of the letter, her lips pursed together. Consistent. And it does look like Tyrol's writing, from the informal correspondence he'd sent to Falgan. But the Battlemage Royal is far more familiar than I. She glanced up as she folded the letter once more and slipped it into her other hand atop the sealed introduction. But it looks like this one might be for real. I wonder if she can handle it?

"I'll bring these to the Battlemage Royal, Madam Ruis," she finally spoke aloud, crossing from behind her desk to the doors beyond. "And then he may see you. You may have a seat while you wait." She nodded to a padded bench behind Naddali. Without another glance to see if Naddali accepted her offer, the adhiel silently slid open the door, slipped inside and closed it firmly behind her.

For several burns, Naddali waited alone. No sound came from the corridor. The room beyond was equally silent. Naddali had only the sound of her own thoughts to comfort her.

Finally, the door to the chamber beyond opened and the Battlemage Royal's assistant returned, her lips curved into a friendly smile. "The Battlemage Royal will see you now," she informed the young adhiel. Her demeanor had changed completely, warm and friendly instead of brusque and challenging. She held the door open for Naddali, the door to the inner sanctum of Battlemage Royal Falgan's office.
Tickle-fight champion.
Vesatra Ruis

Post by Vesatra Ruis »

After the woman had disappeared through the doorway, Naddali walked over to the bench and sat down. It was comfortable for her, seeing as she was used to mostly wooden furniture. As time passed Naddali smoothed out her clothing and let her mind wander through the events of the past two weeks. Images of a funerary march, forest landscapes, and the vast gardens of the Palace passed across her mind’s eye as she waited.

‘So much has happened in such a short amount of time. I’ve gone from being the only daughter of a common family in the woods of Caliboirneabh to sitting outside the door of the Battlemage Royal’s office in Cerleann. All in the span of two weeks time!’

She shook her head at that thought. So much had happened, yet here she was calmly sitting down and letting her mind wander at its own ease. Naddali reigned in her thoughts and considered what she knew of the Battlemage Royal, which was very little. She wondered about how he would react to her, whether he would accept her as a student, if she would make a fool of herself after all of this… Her thoughts raced as the marks passed.

Finally the door opened and she was allowed to enter. She smiled to the woman as she passed her, relieved to have passed her test yet all the more nervous because of it. Now, she had to face the Battlemage Royal himself. She knew as she passed the door’s threshold that she would need all the self-control she could muster if she wanted to make a good impression and not waste the chance Shaper Tyrol had given her.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

On the other side of the door was a short corridor, bright sunlight shining at the other end. Where Naddali entered was covered in shadow - the only light to the corridor currently being that which naturally filtered in. Along the walls hung a few small paintings of exotic locations around Tazlure - one depicted a desert landscape after a storm, another an imposing castle, a third a wild forest. Something to capture the eye and the imagination before arriving to meet the great battlemage himself.

The corridor opened into an atrium, a common feature at the centre of a smaller building, or a section of a larger one. Here plants flourished and birdsong filled the air. Open to the sky, sometimes several stories above, an atrium offered fresh air and full light, with the benefit of cool shade, thus making it a virtual architectural necessity in the hot, humid climate of Kislovan. Here was no different, and several chairs and many large cushions offered placed to relax and contemplate a reflecting pool at the atrium’s heart.

"Welcome, Naddali Telerati Ruis," a baritone voice boomed as she stepped into full sunlight. "Fiorin speaks highly of you in his introduction. Of course, one must also see how highly you can speak of yourself. Come, have a seat and we will talk."

Seated in a large chair near the center of the atrum was an average looking adhiel of indeterminate age. Chestnut hair was bound behind him into a club, pulled straight and smooth atop his head. Hazel eyes pierced her from behind bushy eyebrows set in a strong, full face. That was the only clue to his build, as the rest of his frame was hidden by his mass of robes.

All except his hands, which were folded on his lap, long fingers covering the open introduction and Naddali's letter. He raised one to indicate an empty seat near him. And all the while, those watchful eyes studied her closely.

The true trial had begun.
Tickle-fight champion.
Vesatra Ruis

Post by Vesatra Ruis »

When she passed the threshold of the door, she had to wait a minute for her eyes to adjust to the dim lighting. After her sight adjusted she took a second to examine the paintings as she passed them. All three were beautifully crafted and looked extremely life-like, especially the forest which beckoned softly to her. It brought back memories from her childhood of long talks by a forest stream and afternoons spent exploring the many trails amidst the trees. A smile crept across her delicate face as she passed the painting by and made her way to the corridor’s end.

The scent of herbage and the sound of bird’s singing sweetly filled her heart like a cool breeze on a hot summer’s day. Peace and a sense of belonging filled her as she looked around the living atrium. She closed her eyes a moment to bask in the life around her before she heard the Battlemage’s welcome. Opening her eyes slowly she took a second to really look at him. The fact that he was an adhiel somewhat surprised her, for she had been expecting him to be an older human as Shaper Tyrol had been.

She could feel his eyes studying her closely, as the older woman had before him, and she began to feel nervous. ‘Now is not the time to fall apart. Just talk to him. If he doesn’t accept you, then at least no one can say you didn’t try.’ Not wanting to make the Battlemage wait, she walked to the seat he had indicated and sat down. As she looked to the Battlemage, her thoughts went blank. Before she had entered there were so many things she had wanted to say. Now she couldn’t think of a single word to say, nor would her mouth open to speak them even if she had something to say. She felt like a deer trapped in a hunter’s sights. Fear gnawed at her mind, even though the calming sights and sounds of nature eased the tension out of her muscles. ‘What do I say to one as learned and knowledgeable as he? It would be a mistake to just sit here and not say anything. He might think me frightened, even though I am...’

"Thank you for taking the time to see me, my Lord. I know you must be quite busy and you time is worth much. I can only hope that I do not waste it."

There, she had said something. Weak though it was, it was how she felt. She did not want to waste the Battlemage's time, and she was all too thankful for this chance to meet him. She sent a fervent prayer to the Father that she would find the courage and confidence to pass this test.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

"I'm sure you won't, my dear. I'm sure you won't," he replied, patting her leg at about mid-thigh. His hand lingered there possibly a flicker more than was proper, but his face held only a friendly smile.

Smoothly, he moved from Naddali's thigh to lift the letter of introduction from his own lap and glance over it. "Shaper Tyrol speaks very highly of you, of your intelligence, your determination and your drive. He remarks, 'I've been very lucky to both teach this young woman as well as learn much from her. Being a battlemage is her heart's desire and I think you could do much worse than to train her to do so. She might even teach you a thing or two.'"

Green eyes moved from the parchment to capture hers steadily as he set the page back down. "So... he had much faith in you, but I still need to be convinced. Just what makes you think you would be a good battlemage? Why is it your heart's desire? And just what do you think you could teach me?"

His left hand rose, cupped upward and a ball of light appeared flickering, golden light playing over his pale skin. Then it rose quickly, straight above them, and streaked off behind the nervous young adhiel. With a smile he explained, "Do not worry about the light, my dear. I'm just summoning us some refreshments."
Tickle-fight champion.
Vesatra Ruis

Post by Vesatra Ruis »

Naddali listened to his words and thought for a few moments on his questions. She followed the light he summoned with her eyes, more curious than worried. Shaper Tyrol had been able to summon such lights, though he never taught her how to summon then. Shifting her thoughts from the light to the questions at hand, she paused. The questions he asked her were hard to answer, yet she knew how she would answer them. She would speak the truth, and let him decide whether the truth was acceptable or not.

“Why do I want to become a battlemage? To protect those I care for. I grew up with mostly human companions, so I’ve always been seen as the one in need of protection. Never was I seen as one who could take care of themselves. I want to be able to defend myself as well as those I care for. As an adhiel I’m not built for strength, so magic is the only area where I could possibly excel. Why do I think I would be a good battlemage? I have an understanding of the basics of magic which were taught to me by the Shaper Tyrol, but most importantly I have the want to learn. Many who enter into the training for a profession don’t truly want to learn about their craft. They merely want the title so that they might earn some money. I want more than that. I want to learn all that there is to know about magic and its application, the world we live in, and the people that inhabit it.”

She stopped herself for a moment so as to not seem like a zealot of some kind, although she feared she had already made that impression. When she started to speak again, her voice was calmed and controlled. “As to what I could teach you, I would not know. I know very little about neither you nor what you know. Only time would tell if I have anything to teach you, although there is much you could teach me.”

Having spoken her piece, she waited patiently for the older Adhiel’s reaction.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

The battlemage sat silently before her, fingers steepled, as he listened to her replies. My little servant didn't impress her. More's the pity. Tyrol must have been showing off for her. I wonder... Could he have been....? She IS pretty enough. The sly fox. No wonder he died so early. Ah well, I'll have a chance to impress her with more soon enough, if she proves worthy.

He remained impassive before her as she replied to his questions one by one. The only indication he gave that anything affected him was when she spoke of her human companions and being "protected". The corners of his mouth curved slightly as his lips pinched together. But it was a fleeting reaction, soon gone, and once more the stoic listener.

When she paused to gain her composure, something behind her momentarily distracted him. He gave a nod to someone there before turning his attention back to the petitioner before him.

During her reply to his final question, a sari-clad servant arrived, carrying a small tray loaded with a carafe of Kislovani White, two glasses, and a small spread of cheeses, crackers, and fresh fruit. Silently, the woman placed the items on the table before the pair, with the carafe and two glasses nearer the Battlemage Royal and the plate of edibles nearer to Naddali. She paused for a moment when finished, the tray held before her, until Battlemage Falgan nodded his permission for her to leave.

Falgan picked up one of the glasses before him and poured a glass of the semi-dry wine before handing it to the young woman beside him. While pouring the second glass, he began to speak. "At least you didn't lie to me, which is for the good. You wouldn't believe how many come in here, posturing, trying to make me think they know more, or have more power, than they actually possess. Just yesterday, a petitioner had the gall to threaten me as I sat listening to his petition. Expected me to blast him where he stood, I think." He took a sip of his wine then tsked softly. "Never do what is expected. It throws them off."

Snatching a large slice of cheese from the plate, he settled back into his seat once more. "Now, to you. As I said, your answers weren't lies, which does endear you to me slightly. However, some of your answers did... concern me a little. Such as why you should think you have no power, particularly when it comes to dealing with humans? They may be physically stronger, but that doesn't mean we are weaker. And when it comes to your desire to learn... that is important, but not as important as having actual magical APTITUDE. Have you any of that?"

He paused for flicker, studying her closely once more. "Now concentrate," he barked harshly. "Close off everything around you - the sound of the birds, the feel of the light, all but the sound of my voice. Find your center and settle yourself there." His voice became softer. "Relax and concentrate until you feel that you know every aspect of what your body is doing, from the breath in your body to the blood coursing through your veins. Once you know that, stretch your senses outward and tell me what you see. If you remember, there is a plant to your left. Tell me what your senses make of it."

For a long moment - which could have been a few flickers or could have been a few yahren - the battlemage remained silent. Then his soft voice could be heard once more. "Whatever you see will be individual to you. How you see and percieve these energies will depend on what lies at the center of your being. The importance isn't in how you see it but the fact that you see these energies at all."

Then he retreated into silence once more.
Tickle-fight champion.
Vesatra Ruis

Post by Vesatra Ruis »

Naddali accepted the cup from the Battlemage with a shy smile, all too glad to have something to drink even if it was wine. She took a small sip of the wine, finding it to be a little too dry for her tastes, although that didn’t stop her from taking a few more sips as courtesy demanded. Placing the glass on the table, she listened to the older Adhiel’s words about previous petitioners. Her attention never wavered and she listened all the closer as he spoke of her words and her misgivings. She lowered her face slightly when he mentioned his concern about her words concerning her experience with humans. It seemed logical to her that Adhiel would be inferior to humans in brute strength since Adhiel were more delicately structured, but then again there were many successful Adhiel warriors in the world… She silenced her thoughts and returned her attention to the Battlemage’s words just in time to hear his concerns about her magical aptitude. Her thoughts looped as he instructed her to essentially prove whether she was capable of using magic.

This is it. If nothing happens… Don’t jinx yourself. Focus on the task at hand and everything will work out. After a few moments of calming her thoughts and letting her muscles relax, she closed her eyes.

The sound of birds singing and the feeling of the sun on her face began to change. As she focused on her center, everything outside of her began to lessen in intensity and clarity. The sunlight felt less warm and the sounds of the atrium became a silent hush until finally there was silence. All she could hear was the sound of her breathing, and after a few moments it too became silent. Slowly the darkness around her began to shift and change. It started out slow and subtle but with time began to churn and swirl. Colors that had not been there before mixed with the black that dominated her limited sight until it dissipated into a landscape of color. She put out her hand and gingerly touched the threads weaving before her. What had been an atrium of sound and light had become a weaving of many threads of different colors connected by the hands of some greater being.

He had mentioned a plant… She looked to the left of where she sat, looking for the plant he spoke of. What she saw, was the largest array of shades she had ever seen. Greens, blues, and browns of every shade imaginable were curled together in a living, almost vibrating image of life. Reaching out with her left hand, she softly touched a single thread of a deep emerald color.

For just a moment, she hesitated. She had not viewed the Aether many times before, and most of those times had been closely supervised. Never had she actually manipulated any of the threads she saw before, and neither had the Battlemage requested that she do so. She pulled her hand away from the collection of colors with a mixture of sadness and elation. A small part of her wanted to grab a thread and make it grow, wanted to learn all she could from the energies present. The part of her that was aware and more controlled reigned in her thirst for knowledge and focused on returning to a normal state of being.
Last edited by Vesatra Ruis on Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

As Naddali reached out for the one thread of emerald green, the other threads nearer her fingers moved aside easily in a fluid movement. The one she sought refused to remain still, darting away from her fingertip half a flicker before she would have contacted it. Manipulating these energies would not be an easy task. No, unlike their mundane counterparts, these threads had a mind of their own, a will of their own that prevented them from being easily captured and used. Her own will would need to be greater for her to harness and use what they had to offer.

Before she had a chance to let the Aether fade around her, the Battlemage Royal's voice sounded sternly in her ears. "I did not tell you to return yet. There is one small task for you to complete while you still remain focused on the Aether. To your right are two candles - one lit, one unburned. I simply wish you to move the flame from the one candle to the other, using the power of the Aether before you."

In the area he directed, Naddali would be able to see two long tapers made up of very muted threads that she had learned to identify as life energy. There was little power there for her to seek, though some did exist. Atop one of the tapers, however, were the bright reds and oranges of fire, moving and shifting as they intersected with the threads of air around them. Here was where the the true energy lay.

Before she had a chance to move toward it, Falgan spoke once more, his words flowing over her like a cooling mist. "First, however, you must ground yourself. Reach toward the flame, concentrating hard on the thread you wish to grasp. The more you focus upon it, the slower it will appear to your eyes to move. This is the difficult part - the initial grasping. Then the actual grounding is simple. Throw it toward the sky or down toward the earth. The threads will naturally want to do this. Then you will be grounded and can proceed to move the flame as required. If you do not ground first, any excess energy you draw will have nowhere to go but into your body. In this instance, it would be a minor burn of pain. But if you are trying to draw something greater, such as the flames from an inferno, all of your hopes and dreams of becoming a Battlemage would be nothing but ash."

He lapsed into silence once more, allowing his potential student a chance to complete the request with no further instruction.
Last edited by Sevti on Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tickle-fight champion.
Vesatra Ruis

Post by Vesatra Ruis »

Naddali was about to return her vision to the Tether when she heard the Battlemage’s commanding voice. She had thought he would ask her to do something while she was viewing the Aether. As to what he would have wanted her to accomplish she now knew. Fear and a strange sense of giddiness pervaded her as she looked to her right. The candles themselves were a dull, muted mixture of browns and whites. As she looked up to see the flame upon one candle, she smiled. The little flame looked to her as a small ball or thread woven from every shade of red imaginable. The threads were intricately woven together and danced about as she watched it. The energy it gave off was not exhorbitant, but it was enough.

Naddali had never manipulated energies before. Fear gnawed at her thoughts as a sense of elation at being able to see these energies at all filled her with a gentle warmth. Bringing to mind the Battlemage’s words, she focused on a single thread. The threads that made up the small flame moved aside as she focused on a single, ruby red thread. At first the thread danced its way about trying to evade her gaze. The longer she focused on it, the slower it began to move. After what seemed like an age, the aspiring battlemage was able to reach out her hand and grasp the slight thread. She studied the thread for a moment, feeling its energy in her hand. After the moment had passed, she threw the thread toward the ground in a single fluid motion.

Once she had grounded herself, she proceeded to move the thread towards the second, unlit candle. The thread resisted slightly as she moved it, but she managed to connect it to a short thread atop the candle. Once the threads had been connected, the red one she had moved began to grow and weave about until a new flame was formed. Its intricacy was similar to that of the first flame, but as with all things it had its own unique qualities. No two things were the same no matter which realm you viewed them in. A shy smile crossed her face as she watched the new flame dance upon the candle’s top.

Maybe this is not such an impossible goal after all.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

"Very good," BattleMage Falgan's voice rang through the air tinged with pleasure. "Very good indeed. You may release yourself from the Aether - as carefully as you entered it."

When Naddali finally came fully back to the Tether, she found herself fatigued. The work of moving such a small flame took a great deal more energy than one would expect for such a small task. It was as though she had spent the last mark running through the woods with a pack of rocks upon her back. Her energy wasn't depleted by any stretch of the imagination, but the task had definitely taken it's toll.

Falgan remained sitting where he had been when she started the exercise, though his wine glass was once more in his hand. He gestured for her to once again drink from her own before taking a long draught from the goblet he held.

"You did very well," he remarked as she rested. "Though you've still a very long way to go. But at least you have the foundation down, which means you will only have to learn rather than unlearn when it comes to magic.

"Of course," he continued, reaching down to pull a grape from the bunch in front of him and pop it into his mouth, "magic is not the only part of being a battlemage. There's also the ability to fight. It is as just as, if not more, important than the magic. Because as you can see from your brief demonstration, magic can sometimes be more taxing than just doing it." He leaned forward to the candles before the aspiring battlemage and lit a small stick with the flame from the lit candle. Putting it to the other wick, he waited until the flame had taken hold there before shaking the flame out from the stick and then carefully pinching out the first flame between his two fingers.

As he leaned back in his seat, his eyes rested on her pack and he nodded once. "You've brought with you a bow. Excellent. It's not the weapon of choice, but it will at least show me whether you have any talent for battle under certain conditions. Take up your bow and rise now."

The conversation took no more than a few burns, not nearly enough time for Naddali to recover her lost energy. Yet the Battlemage didn't seem to care. Without waiting to see if she would obey, Falgan sent forth a burst of light that coalesced into the form of a small hawk. It swooped and rose over an area of the atrium where no pathways interrupted the bright colors of the flower plants. "You are to hit it three times before this part of the test is over," he instructed her, settling back to watch how she would handle this next task.

The light hawk seemed to move of it's own volition. There was no pattern to it's movements, swooping here, then darting quickly there, wheeling around to swoop once more. It wouldn't be an easy target to hit, but nor would it be impossible.
Tickle-fight champion.
Vesatra Ruis

Post by Vesatra Ruis »

Naddali leaned back into the comfortable chair, relaxing her muscles and letting her mind take a break for a few moments. She wasn’t completely exhausted, but neither was she at her normal level of activity. Picking up her glass from the place where she had set it, she took a few sips of the cool wine, feeling it diffuse a bit of warmth through her muscles. It helped to calm her thoughts and let her relax after her time looking through the Aether.

Who would have thought it would take that much effort just to light a candle. She almost chuckled at this thought, but out of respect for the Battlemage she kept her mouth shut. She nearly let out a sigh of relief when she heard the Battlemage Royal approve of her efforts during the task he had set for her. Once the Battlemage moved on from her previous task, she focused her attention on his words.

I knew there would be a physical aspect to this. After all, they’re not called Battlemages for nothing. When the Battlemage took notice of her bow, she nearly died right where she was sitting. She wasn’t the worst archer out there, but neither was she the best by any stretch of the imagination. She rose from her seat as the Battlemage Royal had bid her and removed the bow from her pack. It had been her father’s bow when he was her age and an apprentice to a local ranger. The wood around the middle was worn into smoothness from much use by both Naddali and her father. Quickly she strapped the quiver onto her back so that she could remove the arrows with her right hand easily.

As the Battlemage created a small hawk from pure light, she nearly groaned in dread. Not nearly enough time had passed for her to be up to this. She was still tired and sore all over. It took a second for her to shake off her negative thoughts, but she managed somehow. Watching the hawk fly about in some of the oddest and most random patterns, she heard the Battlemage’s instructions. So, I have to hit it three times. No patterns to movement, very small size, and really fast. This is going to take a while. Silently coming to terms with the idea that the Battlemage liked torturing those who looked to him for training, she removed an arrow from its quiver and notched it.

She didn’t take aim just yet though. Her father had taught her the two most basic(and important) rules of hunting. First, never rush your shot. Always take the time to study your target and get a feel for its movements. The more you understand the target, the better your chance of a successful shot. Raising her bow level to the hawk’s general vicinity, she pulled the arrow back and held it. The hawk flew in loops and made impossible turns in a flurry of random directions. She watched it as the hawk flew about, waiting for it to slow a little or to fly straight for a moment. After a couple of burns, the hawk did slow its hurried movements. Seeing a small opening, Naddali sent a silent prayer to the father before letting her arrow fly. Had she loosed the arrow then prayed she might have hit it. Unfortunately, the arrow missed by a miniscule fraction of an inch. The hawk resumed its swift movements, and Naddali mentally cursed herself for being so slow.

She reached back and removed another arrow from its quiver and notched it. This time she didn’t hesitate to aim. The second rule of hunting was to never give up. You might not make the shot even after careful study. That doesn’t mean you won’t ever make it. Take your time and try again. Eventually your hard work will pay off and you’ll make the shot.

Again she watched as the hawk flew about the atrium’s ceiling. One moment it was here, and then it would be a few feet away in the blink of an eye. Patience was on her side, and soon the hawk grew complacent and began to slow. Without a second of hesitation, she let loose the arrow and watched as it flew straight through the light construct. If it could have made a sound, she imagined it would have let out an indignant squawk her way.

Keep your eye on the target and your thoughts centered. You’ll get through this. Removing yet another arrow from its quiver, she notched the bow and aimed all in one fluid motion. The next two shots took more than a couple of burns to complete, but it wasn’t too long before the third arrow made its way through the light construct. All in all she hadn’t done too badly, especially for an amateur archer. She had missed about five or six times, but at least she made the three shots required of her. Thank the Father I practiced a lot before I came. Three out of nine is better than one out of eight, and then that was with a stationary target! Looking to the Battlemage for his opinion, the thought crossed her mind that mayhap she had taken too long to complete the task. Nervousness began to set in as she waited for the older Adhiel’s response.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

This time, Falgan said nothing, his face impassive as she completed her task. Pouring himself another glass of wine from the carafe, he let her wait for a burn before he even looked in her direction.

When he did, it was with glittering eyes. "Now the final contest. To first blood." He waved his hand in the direction of the hawk and settled back into his chair, one leg crossed idly over the other as he took a sip of his wine.

And on his command, the light hawk dived for Naddali. It seemed to take on a new solidity in it's form, a new sharpness to it's beak and talons. And it definitely seemed to take this contest most seriously as it looked for any weakness in Naddali's defenses, ready to swoop in and take advantage of them at it's earliest opportunity.
Tickle-fight champion.

Return to “Kislovan Archive”