Just Another Day on the Job - Jarius, Sam 26 MT

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Sevti
Retired staff

Just Another Day on the Job - Jarius, Sam 26 MT

Post by Sevti »

Jarius left the Safe Haven early the next morning for the docks. It was a clear morning, a bit of wind but it looked to be the start of a beautiful day. The streets were starting to fill, but the young man recognized no one as he made his way to his job.

The morning passed fairly easily. The work was hard, but time had helped build up the right muscles for Jarius to lift the boxes coming into and leaving the Kislovan docks. Usually, it was mindless work. These boxes come off the boat from Citadel and go to Merchant Kyriel and are stacked there. Those boxes from Master Jivan's plantation go back to Citadel on the ship.

It was when Jarius was moving one of the boxes in the later set that something strange occurred. It was a square box, wide enough that he can pick it up with his hands shoulder-length apart, marked simply "Fruit" on the outside. When he tried to pick it up, it seemed a little heavier than such boxes normally did, but not more than the ex-warrior would be able to handle with a little extra time. From inside, there was a soft thump and a small "uh", a sound not usually associated with fruit on Kislovan.
"First let's just unzip your religion down" - [i]Crazy[/i], Tori Amos
Tickle-fight champion.
[i]Avatar is At the Edge of the World by Electra[/i]

Post by Guest »

Jarius had gotten a very good sleep the night before, something that wasn't common to him as of late due to the hard work and poor sleeping conditions. However, now that he was much stronger and able to sleep in a nice warm and comfortable bed, Jarius was what you could say rejuvenated. Plus, he had met his first acquaintance and possible friend of Kislovan last night, and she was very kind to him and had made him sleep much better.

After doing the normal morning routine of dressing, eating, and then the normal walk to the docks Jarius quickly fell in line at work and the morning routine of lifting crates off of the boats and putting them into carts and storage areas, Jarius was feeling good and entering the second half of his day. It mostly consisted of fruit, well actually it was nearly always fruit and rarely anything else, that went from Master Jivan's ship onto the ship for Citadel.

Things went smoothly, as usual, that was until one crate was much more heavier than usual, but of course nothing he couldn't handle. It was as he was lifting the crate into the air that he heard a noise from inside the crate, at least he sure thought so. He didn't think he was going crazy and he knew he sure hadn't drank too much last night. Looking around for a moment Jarius made sure no one was looking and then sat the crate down upon the ground. Acting like he was tired he wiped his brow and got on a knee as he took a drink of water from the canteen he had.

Talking softly while trying to look through the gaps in the crate, he sure hoped he wasn't going crazy but he was sure he heard something, he said, "I know someone....is in there, what are you doing in there." Looking around for a moment he took a swig of his canteen and then wiped his brow again. Trying to look into the crate again from an angle that the sun may shine through and illuminate the inside, Jarius wanted to see if there was indeed someone inside. He dared not open the crate, for the sake of the stowaway, that is...if there was one.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

The space between the slats of the crate were very thin. Even with light shining into it, it was difficult for Jarius to make out anything specific within, other than an occasional sense of movement. The movement was too big to be a rodent, trapped away with the fruit. Actually, the more Jarius strained to see, there didn't seem to be fruit in the crate at all. Just the shadowed movement, crouched into the small space.

Then a ray of light hit at just the right angle. He could see a bright hazel eye and part of a bruised cheek. The eye was held open wide - though without seeing the rest of the face, it was difficult to tell if it was in fear or surprise.

A low female voice, harsh with neglect, whispered, "Please. Please help me."

And then there was silence.
Tickle-fight champion.

Post by Guest »

Jarius was quite amazed to see that there was no fruit at all and after looking more finally he got the light he needed to see inside. It was a young girl, he believed from the facial features that he saw, but because the person was small he figured it could have been a young boy as well. Still unsure what was going on Jarius looked inside intently until the wide eyes fell on his and looked back at him as he looked into them. Alittle taken back because there was emotion there Jarius looked around once more when suddenly he was interupted.

The voice of a female who seemed scared and hurt called to him for help. Not too sure what to do as helping her could be a big mistake, especially if she was a slave. Slavery was illegal, at least he sure thought so, and thus this business could be very profittable and any threat to it would be dealt with swiftly and harshly. Rubbing his brow with his hand Jarius knew what he was going to do, but he still needed to take that moment to think again. Looking around, as he had done time and time again, Jarius finally picked up the crate again and carried it off to the side, looking for a place of some cover.

Looking for a place with a host of many boxes that stacked into the air Jarius would place the box among them and open it. Covered by the other boxes the view would surely be blocked and from this no one would see the person in it appear. Once he got her out of there he had no doubt that she would blend in with others as the docks were usually a place full of many people, many children running about getting in trouble, many people getting off and on ships, and many others who Jarius really had no idea why they were there. The dock was a very busy place constantly, and because of this he hoped he wouldn't be noticed helping a stowaway, or whatever she was, from the box.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

It took Jarius several burns to find a place to open the box, but there were a pile of similar crates nearby that had yet to be loaded onto the boat. They were stacked five crates high, eight across making a small alcove where only one or two boxes waited behind them. With the addition of the warehouse wall they were stacked against, it gave Jarius shielding from view on three sides. The fourth, however, could present a problem. Currently there was no one coming from that end of the dock - there were no ships waiting to be loaded or boarded there and only one business run from the warehouse at that end.

The trick, of course, would be getting there without being noticed. If Jarius were correct in his assumption that this were a slavery operation, moving the crate anywhere other than to it's outbound ship could cause some uncomfortable questions. Such as from the foreman that seemed to be heading in Jarius' direction as he bent to lift the crate once more.
Tickle-fight champion.

Post by Guest »

After having looked around for so long Jarius almost thought that he was indeed wrong and there was no place to take the box and get this girl out of it without being seen. But, his luck held up as he saw the warehouse and the crates along it that allowed for almost a fully hidden area where he could drop the box and get her out of it and out of here. Looking back and forth Jarius made sure no one was heading to the area, there wasn't anyone, and only one business was done at that end of the warehouse. It was definately the best place, if not the only as well.

Bending down to pick up the crate Jarius knew he should have looked behind him before he tried such an operation. But, he lapsed in judgement and as he was bent down he could hear footsteps coming behind him as he had been bent for awhile now thinking his plans over again and again. Looking back and forth thinking what to do a plan suddenly came to him and he stood up slowly and arched his back slightly as he placed a hand on it.

"Damnit, what a bad time for a cramp," he said as he was facing away from the foreman, but said certainly loud enough for him to hear. Turning around he saw the foreman approaching, as he had figured. "Sorry sir, stupid back cramps. There is definately no bed like your own sir, these inns have the lousiest beds I have ever slept in. Plus, it seems Master Jivan surely had one heck of a harvest, there are certainly more fruit than normal and he certainly made sure every last space in these crates was filled. Master Jivan is a great man, lucky man too to have such bountiful land."

Looking past him at times as he still rubbed his back Jarius looked for other workers who were doing something that would warrant the foreman's attention. If not, Jarius would continue to talk, however if there were multiple slaves in the crates he did surely doubt the foreman would continue to pay attention to him when all crates were highly valuable and would need to be watched. A stolen slave crate here, a freed slave there would be very bad for business and the foreman, if he even knew about the slaves, would be in big trouble. Would he even be informed that they were shipping slaves today and not fruit? Jarius just didn't know, he did not know the foreman all too well and his background.

He could also always lie to the foreman, tell him he saw kids wandering around the crates at the far end of the section of the crate area or anywhere that would give him enough time to carry the crate over to the warehouse area quickly and then replace it with another crate of whatever, and put it on the ship hiding the fruit identification label. Although, it would certainly be hard to notice the fruit identification label when no one was really checking such things, he thought, as everything being loaded was fruit, or suppose to be, from Master Jivan.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

The tall human foreman had been about to step away at Jarius' first muttered words of a cramp when Jarius caught his attention once more with his explanation. He raised an eyebrow as he turned back around to face the young worker.

"Aye, Master Jivan is a great and lucky man. Pays a part of your salary. Which you won't get if you don't get back ta workin'."

A sly smile crossed the large man's face. "Unless those crates are too heavy for you... I can find someone else to take this part of the dock and you can load the bolts of cloth from Mistress Sylva's shop instead."

Carrying the relatively light bolts of cloth was the job Jarius first had upon working at the docks. It was reserved for the weakest of the dock workers, until they could prove that the heavier crates were in no danger of being dropped by a frailer worker.

The foreman's black eyes shifted between Jarius and the crate at his feet. Stealing? Or is that one of the special crates of Jivan's? Either way... He remained where he stood, waiting on Jarius' reply.
Tickle-fight champion.

Post by Guest »

Jarius looked directly at the man as he replied, but didn't act like he was nervous, because he really wasn't. Not yet at least. Looking about as the man talked acting like he was just checking out the action on the dock, Jarius finally turned to him with a smile and a laugh about the comment about working on Mistress Sylva's cargo. Looking at the foreman as he then looked down at the crate Jarius got a sneaking suspicion he knew what was in there.

"Sir you know I'm not that weak, it is just a cramp, that's all. And, you do know that these crates are much heavier and precious than usual," he said looking at the foreman with a nod and a wink. Jarius wanted to give the foreman the idea that he might know what is inside the crates as well and like he was in on it. If questioned about it later he could always deny and act like he had no idea what the man was talking about.

"I better get back to work, we got to get this fruit out of here before it goes bad. No one wants bad fruit," he said with a sly smile. Stretching his arms quickly he acted like he was going to bend down soon hoping the foreman would get out of his way and hopefully walk away and tend to other business such as the other men who were busy with the other crates.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

The foreman listened blandly, his arms crossed, as Jarius spoke. Through the younger man's wink and nod, his sly smile, his vague references, the boss stood stonily watching and listening.

When Jarius bent to pick up the crate, the large man took a step backward, away from Jarius' path to the ship, but didn't walk away. "All of Master Jivan's cargo is precious," he told the dock worker. "An' if it's heavier than usual, then maybe his own foreman wasn' keepin' close enough an eye on his workers." A nod and the fact that he remained where he stood were the only indications he gave that he would not have that problem with his own workers. He stood far enough back that he wouldn't impede Jarius' progress toward the ship, but it was also very clear that he was keeping a close eye on the man who had recently caught his attention.
Tickle-fight champion.

Post by Guest »

With no other options Jarius picked up the crate and carried it onto the ship, taking as much time as he could to hopefully bore the foreman so he walked away. Once he walked up the ramp of the ship he figured the foreman would finally walk away as there was nothing he could do with the crate besides put it onto the ship. However, for Jarius this was really his last option to get her out of the crate and to safety.

He surely hoped the she could swim, because that would be the only option now for he escape. But, first Jarius would have to find a hammer or something to remove the bolts, nails, or whatever kept the would-be slaves in their crates. Setting the crate down on the ship where he had set all the others he made sure to put it closest to the opposite side of the ship where he boarded.

Immediately afterwards Jarius looked for a hammer, and if not on the ship then on the docks where surely a hammer would be laying around to seal crates that hadn't been sealed properly. Jarius had few options if this didn't work, but whatever happened he would not let this ship leave with her, or any other slaves that were on board.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

Once Jarius was half way up the ramp, a noise from the other end of the dock caught the large man's attention. A fight had broken out among two of the workers - from this distance it seemed to be a human and an achadhiel that seemed to always be at odds with one another. It was only a matter of time before they'd come to blows.

The foreman, it seemed, must have been expecting this too. With one last look at Jarius to make sure he was still continuing into the ship, he turned around sharply on his heel and strode back down the dock. "You two! Break it up! This isn't a fighting ring!"

The inside of the ship was empty of any other workers, which gave Jarius the opportunity to place the crate against the far wall. There were enough crates placed earlier that he was able to get the same kind of semi-privacy here within the ship that he would have had in his chosen place outside.

It took about a burn for Jarius to find something to pry the crate open. It wasn't a hammer - no one was careless enough to leave one of those around. But there was a long, thin crowbar that was used for straightening some of the higher-placed boxes. It wouldn't be as subtle a tool as a hammer, but it should be able to get the being inside the crate out with the proper amount of force.
Tickle-fight champion.

Post by Guest »

Glad that the foreman finally left his side to break up a fight that was occurring between workers down the dock Jarius continued his trip forwards with the crate onto the ship. Carrying the crate to the place where he had set the others Jarius set it down and then quickly looked for a hammer or something that would be able to break it open and release the woman from her confinement. Not running about like a crazy man with little time Jarius acted like he was remaining busy, but on the job.

Finally, finding a crowbar Jarius held it along his left side as he walked back to the crate with the right side of his body facing the docks. As he made it to the crate Jarius knew that taking his time to pry open the crate would only take longer and usually caused more noise, so instead of taking his time he jabbed the crowbar quickly under the lid and pressed down quickly at spots that would break the seal and allow for the crate to open. Jarius surely hoped the woman could swim, because it looked like that was the only choice at the moment, well the safest choice for himself and her.

Granted she could act like a child that often infiltrated the docks to cause mischief as she was surely small to fit in the crate, but Jarius was under much more scrutiny.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

As the lid came free from the crate below it, a small whimper sounded, quickly cut off by the person inside. The light in the cargo hold of the ship was low, yet still good enough to see what awaited Jarius inside.

A young human woman sat cramped in the small space, long, thin legs pulled up tightly against her chest. One arm was thrown up before her eyes, as though even this low light were too much for eyes now sensitive to almost complete darkness. Hair black as midnight hung in long straight planes around her shoulders, the tips just touching the topmost curves of her small, tanned breasts. Her other arm lay around her knees, pulling herself into an even tighter ball, though whether to hide her nakedness or out of fear it was impossible to tell. Her skin was an even tan everywhere visible to the naked eye - expect, of course, for the obvious cuts, burns and bruises that littered her body from collarbone to toes. In one corner of the box, near her feet, lay a battered waterskin, mostly full, and a small, closed container. Otherwise, the crate was empty.

After a few flickers, she pulled her arm away to reveal a tanned, angular face. Unlike the rest of her, her face was unmarked, as though trying to keep that beauty, at least, intact. Her thin, pale lips quivered as she turned dark, fearful eyes surrounded by sooty lashes toward the top of the box, uncertain who - or what - to expect waiting for her. Smudged tracks of dried tears ran down her thin cheeks, though no tears were currently in evidence. Only fear remained in her eyes as she watched Jarius warily, speaking no words until she knew what was in store for her next.
Tickle-fight champion.

Return to “Kislovan Archive”