Plots and Plans - Loraith

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Sevti
Retired staff

Plots and Plans - Loraith

Post by Sevti »

The Kislovani achadhiel has returned home. Not quite by the means he intended, let alone the glory he was hoping to achieve. Still, according to the player, he has a lot of plots and plans for himself.

First and foremost, upon arrival, he wants to seek out the compound for his family and be welcomed into the bosom there. One problem - none of them have ever met him before. So he's going to have a bit of a time proving that he is, in fact, who he says he is. This COULD go either way, but between Syra and I, we've got a feeling that it might fail. He'll have to be pretty charming for it not to.

As such, if it DOES fail... one thing the player seems to have forgotten regarding his own backstory is that he is wanted by the authorities for the time he spent as a con artist before he fled Kislovan the first time. As a matter of fact, the fact that the authorities were seeking him out was the purpose of his leaving Kislovan so hastily a few moons back. The statute of limitations hasn't run out on this warrant, so there's a strong possibility of someone from the household, who no doubt would have been visited by the authorities a few moons back when he was being more actively sought, will be sent to bring the good Guards to apprehend the scoundrel that tarnishes their good name.

I'm not quite sure what they'll do if they DO apprehend him... haven't quite thought that far in advance. Though I do suspect, knowing the player and the plans he's outlined, that he'll ask to see the Queen so he can try to charm her. The liklihood of it actually happening is pretty slim. I'm up for any ideas on where to send him from here.

Another possibility, should he escape the authorities, was an expressed interest in joining the Firelords. Should he attempt it, he'll find out first hand just how prejudiced they are against anyone that cannot claim full-blood. It'll be a good fuel for the race riots we'd talked about at the next Synch Event.

So this is what I have for him at the moment. Any comments, questions and suggestions, please let me have 'em!
"First let's just unzip your religion down" - [i]Crazy[/i], Tori Amos
Tickle-fight champion.
[i]Avatar is At the Edge of the World by Electra[/i]
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

Loraith is now meeting with his cousin, the Lady Rilana (detailed information about her can be found in the Nobles sticky). She doesn't believe him, doesn't really trust him, but thinks he could be useful. Her story of needing him to be a face at Court does have a nugget of truth to it, but there's more that she needs from him - not assassination or anything as crass as that. No, she's got some information that she'd like him to... obtain... from the Royal archives. (No, I haven't figured out this information yet. It was brainstorming with Syra that got me this far. Gavin, if I haven't gotten to that point in his threads by the time I go on hiatus, come up with whatever seems good to you at the time.)

His time in the Palace is going to be something of a test. The information that she'll need must be sensitive and is NOT supposed to come into the hands of their House. Whatever it is will give them a very large leg up on the other Houses and will be able to help bring them back to prominence. If Loraith screws this up, the Family is NOT going to come to his rescue. They'll just point to what he did in Cit and say his time there must have caused the already unbalanced line of the family to become even more unbalanced. If he succeeds, it will bring him up in his cousin's estimation and there will be other such "assignments" for him to complete for her at Court. If he does this right, he can find the head of his family line owing him a LOT.

Part of the reason for throwing him at Court and the archives in particular is that the player has expressed an interest in some PC/PC threads, particularly with meeting the twins. Since Alu is in the archives working, it's a good way to get them together and see what goes on from there.

I need to do some more brainstorming (anyone have ideas?) to come up with what exactly he's looking for in the archives, but at least it gives a direction. I haven't yet decided whether Rilana's going to ask a favor of having his record "lost" temporarily or whether she's going to throw him at the palace with his still being wanted.

She IS going to warn him not to announce his half-human heritage because if that gets out... *shudder* But, it does give a good jumping off point if it DOES get found out (which is actually likely because anyone new coming into Court will have some using everything at their disposal to find out what secrets they can about the newcomer for either blackmail purposes or to specifically bring them down). It would help be a great lead-in for the race riots on the 28th as there are sure to be more than a few pure bloods that will resent someone tainted setting foot in court.
Tickle-fight champion.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Alright. I think I have this sorted out. I'll do a sort of a roundabout story, but I will get there eventualy.

I see this as a bit of a political and economical rivalry. We have two prominent noble families: Cullàmh and Daethandir. The Cullàmh are known for their fleets and their trade earned riches. Or rather they were. The pirates made an end to that. Now, they are desperate to turn their fortunes. Now, the question is how do they do that? Well, they might do it slowly and over a long period of time. Or they can bring someone down and use their misfortune.

Now, the Daethandir are the perfect prey. Immensely rich and without a trading fleet. But, renowned for their wineries and their skill at horse. We shall let them have their horses. And we shall take away their wineries. Or rather take away their trade. Everyone in Kislovan makes wine. So, that is not much of a market. But, the exported wine is much more expensive and this is where the true profit lies.

Now, say 25 yahren ago a contract was made by all the noble families, that the export of wine was free. It was ratified by the Queen and placed in the archives. Now, that is such a long time. People forget how long it was supposed to be in effect. And since that period is 50 yahren, it will be another 25 till someone can get an age in the trade. Unless, the agreement goes missing. And someone comes asking about it and finds out it is no longer there. And makes a plea with the Queen to be granted exclusive export rights.

Now, this is where Loraith comes in. He expressed a distaste for sneaking around. So, we shall grant him his wish. No more sneaking. Let us do a little diplomacy. The task Rilana will place before him will be simple. Go into the archives and steal the contract. And then destroy it. Now, this sounds simple, but first he needs to find it. And for that he needs someone to help him. And that someone needs to keep his mouth shut when Daethandir's find out that they must sell their wine to Cullàmh's or leave it to just lie there. Cause there is not much of a market for it in Kis. And, if they try to smuggle it, well..... We might even involve him in the negotiations about the new exclusive contract once the dirty did is done.

Of course, Rilana is not so foolish as to propose the contract herself. Rather she has a deal with another house (any suggestions here?) who will propose the contract and get it in exchange for an exclusive shipping rights for the Cullàmhs. This is not quite finished, but it crossed my mind and now Loraith pointed that flaw in the plan.

Sevti suggests we use Althaluin family. And I agree wholeheartedly. Both families are in dire straits and conveniently Althaluin family rellies heavily on the non-noble mercantile families for support. Just a perfect set-up. And they are a long time rivals of Anghiril family. This could turn into a real free for all conflict if the plot succeeds. Adhiel versus adhiel. And all starts with an upstart half-breed. Just perfect. And if someone were to find out. Race riots would be a child's play.
Last edited by Gavin Tylvan on Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

alright, just adding a pair of NPCs to the lot.

First is Ertan, head serf of the Cullàmh family. He manages the estate in a way.

It was an aged human, with graying hair and a slight bald pate on top of his head. Clan shaven, and with an eagle beak of a nose, thin lips and clear gray eyes, his face was an expressionless mask. Thin and wiry, he looked almost feeble, especially with his slightly sunk cheeks. His back was straight even as he bowed, almost like he swallowed a stick.

For now I don't have much on him, and he won't appear in this thread anymore, but I envision him as a cold and detached buttler type of serf. Very profesional and experinced. More may follow.

The other is Alyn, young human boy.

Soon, after that a young boy came in. He could not have been more than fifteen yahren old. A mop of curly blond hair adorned his head and he had full rosy cheeks and a boyish blue eyes. He seemed a bit lost and probably a bit scared as he entered. His dhoti was also green, as were the dhoti of the two man who brought the tub in. The boy stood at the door expectantly holding a few sheets of paper and writing equipment in his ink stained hands. His voice was still not completely formed and sounded a bit high pitched.

This is an NPC I might use extensively in the future. This is at first glance a simple boy. But, it is not so simple. The boy can read and write and is quite intelligent. His purpose is to help Loraith in any way he can, but he is also there to spy on him. The boy will report everything of interest to Lady Rilana. He is playing the role of a shy boy as instructed, but if there is a real need he will step forward. He is not much of a fighter, but he is fairly good with words. More might be added later.
Last edited by Gavin Tylvan on Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

*bounces with delight*
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

(avatar by Talon Yoseijo)
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Post by Sebastian Beauvais »

Loraith's latest idea is to obtain some sort of animal companion, ostensibly to act as guard and friend, though I suspect he really wants something to show off to Cerleann society. Ideally he is interested in a large jungle cat or something similar - very exotic and dangerous, of course.

I have created NPC Cellyn Terynel, a master of animal husbandry/training in Cerleann, to treat with Loraith and discuss his desires. However, despite Lord Kasvenir's wants, there is only so much the trainer will be able to provide. Trained dogs will be available, and take little time for him to master. Trained exotic animals, like a jaguar, will not be easy to come by nor to bend to Loraith's will. And of course, cost will be very expensive.

Where this leads will depend on Loraith's reaction and commitment to this cause. Either he will settle for a dog, and a nice mark-up of course, plus upkeep and potential damage to the house, or he'll stick it out for the cat, and a huge price and even more mark-up, plus potential damage to the house and staff! Rilana will be thrilled in all cases ;)
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

If you were not a dirty Oneist I could hug you. Bear in mind that Rilana did leave him a bit of money, but not much. And it is to be used for food and stuff. If he spends it on jungle cat then..... Ah, but you know this already.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

PMing between Seb and I, regarding Loraith's latest wants, needs and desires. (Posting here so we have it on hand.)

Not sure if you are aware, but Loraith has expanded his wild animal approach to try and incorporate a hunt for a mythical, fantastic creature - his attempt to become famous overnight by killing a sasquatch, or yeti, or Loch Ness monster.

This is not a bad idea in and of itself, other than such a quest would almost certainly be a solo thread and therefore time consuming for his handler. But it also requires a mythical creature to be present on Kislovan for him to hunt, and I'm not sure if you are interested in subscribing to that as part of the history of the island.

Furthermore, it has underlined the lack of background material we have covering the flora/fauna of Kis. Even the natural wildlife is not detailed to any level, meaning lions and tigers and bears (oh my!) could be present, or not so much. Maybe we can set aside some time to brainstorm in chat and then we can get something in the Dev forum, and added to the bestiary.

Let me know what you think. For now I'm going to put Loraith off on that angle, in a suspicious manner so that we can keep the door open if we choose later on to let him have his quest.

Hugs,

Steve (Seb 'n Brann)

Gods, he always DOES want the Get Famous Quick schemes, doesn't he? *sigh* My first instinct is to say the damned thing doesn't exist because it makes more work for us in the long run and, honestly, I don't know how much time any of us have to devote to running Lor off on his own. I know that I don't, since I'm working all of the magic threads, plus trying to get things set and ready for the Lillies. And I know that both you and Darti have limited time as well.

However... I CAN think of a way to get him embroiled into the racial tension/Fire Lord/Brotherhood of the Wolf theme using this. If the Brotherhood used the rumor of a dangerous mythical creature to keep people away from their hide out. I know Darti's working on the Brotherhood as being started by a pirate, which also weaves it into the pirate attacks that are happening, as well as using that way to get "recruits" from the slaver ships that the pirates may attack. If Loraith decides to go pursue whatever the hell we decide this is, he can stumble across their hideout and wouldn't THAT be a lovely pickle for our favorite achadhiel to get into? We'd have to flesh it out more, but it could work.
Tickle-fight champion.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

A new twist in Loraith's get rich quick schemes:

1. Any family heirlooms he can appropriate, to up his status. I believe he's after fancy signet rings, perhaps an ancestral sword, something of that nature.

Currently, I am not planning on giving him anything more than perhaps a ring. Something dear to Rilana, perhaps her father's or grandfather's, that will incense her to find on Loraith's finger.

2. Praying to K'Tan and offering his services in return for good fortune in his social climbing. Loraith has asked for help and in return offered to do the goddess' bidding if she would but tell him what she wants him to do.

I am going to give him a message equivalent to "god helps those who help themselves" and leave it at that, at least until there is some demonstration of true and lasting piety, and not just lip service to the deity as a way to secure personal gain.

3. Loraith has asked that Alyn scan through the library for info on mythical beasts, tomes on magic, family heirlooms and information, and any other important topics of use. Two questions immediately pop to mind:

- can Alyn read?
- if he can, as a servant loyal to Rilana, what will he pass on to Loraith?

My thinking here is that the story will be better off if Alyn can read. Alyn will want to give Loraith help if it will help the achadhiel secure the trade agreement Rilana wants from the Archives. If it is trivial information for Loraith's personal gain, he will be more stingy, and if it might put Rilana's position in any jeopardy, or unnecessarily link Loraith to her, Alyn will hide the information from Loraith.

I'm open to comments on all three items here, as I won't be replying to Lor for another day.

Seb
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Post by Dartimos Hammer »

I would absolutely believe that Alyn can read. He is an important family retainer that has been given the job to keep an eye on our boy, which may well include reading his mail. Now, wether or not he lets Lor know that he can read, may be another matter entirely. :P
Comfort Level =D / Age = 41 (Gasp!!!)
Posting 1-2 times per week.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

As I said, you are getting close to being hugged.

I will point out one very important aspect of it all. Alyn can indeed read as he is the one that wrote the letters for Loraith. The ones he sent to Citadel. You can find those in his old thread Prodigal Son....

Alyn was envisioned as Rilanna's spy. He will appear to be doing Loraith's bidding, but if he goes too far in his schemes he should intervene. The exact nature of it is entirely up to you. He migth send a message to his mistress or foil Loraith's plans himself.

I like the idea of the mystical beasties. Loraith is very eager to go up quickly. We spoke in chat at length and for some reason he dislikes the trade agreement idea. So, if it is not fun maybe he should not be pressed upon it. He DID however promise to Rilanna that he will do it. And she WILL come back. So there should be some consequences. Rather sever ones.

So, yes. Alyn will remind Lor of his task. Just to make sure e is not working on it. Once he knows for sure, you an imagine what might happen.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

Since Darti & Gavin have replied to the Alyn thing, let me just make one note on this:

Sebastian Beauvais wrote:2. Praying to K'Tan and offering his services in return for good fortune in his social climbing. Loraith has asked for help and in return offered to do the goddess' bidding if she would but tell him what she wants him to do.

That's one way to go with it (and one that works well). Another way, if you want to be truly evil, is to HAVE K'Tan lead him, and then exact a pretty high price. You want something that will make you great? Then you need to basically be a savior for my people. Do something to stop the Oneists from taking over (because Kis WILL be on their 'Round the Empire Take-Over Tour'). Bring peace between the humans and the adhiel of the island. Something that would be impossible for one man to do alone but if he'd get his head out of his... uh-hmm... if he would learn to cooperate with others rather than try to manipulate them would be possible to affect some real change.

I agree not to push him to do Rilana's bidding, but he DEFINITELY needs some kind of consequences if he's going to ignore it. Particularly if he's going to continue to pretend to be Lord of the Manor. I'm thinking having her come back on or about Sam 28. (Maybe Sam 29). Give him another day or two game time before she returns, expecting her bidding to have been completed. Then let the chips fall where they may.
Tickle-fight champion.
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

Dunno if Loraith has discussed any of this with you, oh lovely Sevti.... But I thought I should cut and paste his dialogue into here, fyi. ;)

[00:49] <Loraith> Finn I need a very brief bit of help!
[00:49] <Finn> okey, wassup. :)
[00:50] <Loraith> Loraith is going to become rather....underhand quite soon and I would like you to reccomend a good thread of Finley's for me to read to get some tips of being all streetwise
[00:50] <Loraith> if you would not mind, or if such a thread exists
[00:50] <Finn> uhhh.
[00:50] <Finn> hmmm.
[00:50] <Finn> well, I don't really... know about that? XD
[00:50] <Finn> hold on, let me think.
[00:51] <Loraith> So Finley is not streetwise he just kills people and steals stuff? :D
[00:51] <Finn> hold on.
[00:53] <Finn> Well. To be brutally honest... I don't... uhhh. Spend a lot of time thinking about it. ;)
[00:53] <Finn> I just... play the character, and that's what he's like. I never particularly thought of him as streetwise before...
[00:54] <Finn> though I suppose he is, in a way.
[00:54] <Finn> he's just a crook. *shrugs*
[00:54] <Finn> I'm... not sure how to explain that. ;)
[00:54] <Loraith> it is not so much that, it is just that Loraith needs to recruit some toughs soon and I dont want him being all "Ah my good man, I need a word"
[00:54] <Loraith> and he was once a smuggler so I should make it authentic, but I shall check the archives and stuff so thanks anyway :)
[00:55] <Finn> okey. ;)
[00:55] <Loraith> if you were wondering Loraith is going to try to be the Tom Crane/Donald Trump of Kislovan
[00:55] <Finn> oh really?
[00:55] <Finn> and how's he going to go about that?
[00:56] <Loraith> yah, I am gonna stoip winging about how Loraith cant meet the Queen and instead am going to focus on the advantages Loraith has
[00:56] <Finn> *grins*
[00:56] <Finn> good plan.
[00:56] <Finn> I gotta dash, Loraith... bedtime for me. ;)
[00:56] <Finn> but, see you online later!
[00:56] <Loraith> so he will take over the family shipping business and uisng a lot of his old underworld friends start a nice trading cartel
[00:56] <Loraith> bye!

Wish I could have spoken to him longer, but I really do need to get to bed! XD night!
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

I don't know if he spoke to Seb about it, but he hasn't said anything to me.

It's good to have goals, but he's GOT to realize that it's going to take some time to realize these plots and plans. *sigh*

Thanks for keeping me posted, love. Now go get some sleep! :p
Tickle-fight champion.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

In fact, we have had a discourse over the past couple of days, off and on. Here is an edited chat summary of the main details:

16:24] Loraith: Loraith Kasvenir: Goals:
[16:24] Loraith: 1.Take control of the Kasvenir trading cartel from his father and expand it with the help of Rilana.
[16:24] Loraith: 2.Increase the wealth, military power and political might of his house.
[16:24] Loraith: 3.Enter an administrative command position of a military organization, perhaps city militia or watch.
[16:24] Loraith: 4.Relocate to own estate in the docklands in House docks to better co-ordinate trading interests.
[16:24] Loraith: 5.Negotiate with Broken Isle pirates to allow House ships to pass freely. V.Imp!
[16:24] Loraith: 6.Use hired thugs and smugglers to extort businesses in the docks hence increasing wealth.
[16:24] Loraith: 7.Invest in useful business in the city.
[16:24] Loraith: 8.Use smugglers to gain quick money and import rare illicit items.
[16:24] Loraith: 9.Obtain exotic items to help goals, rare animals, items and so on.
[16:24] Loraith: 10.Generally become a nasty piece or work concerned with money above all else.
[16:24] Loraith: basically he will start a large group called the Kavenir trading cartel
[16:24] Loraith: What I hope will become a very powerful trading ring

[16:29] Loraith: well first off I have to speak to Rilana, basically Loraith wants to take over his fathers trading concerns (a branch of the family trading) he will move to the family house in the dockland and secure a role in the guard in the dockland, so to turn the guards attention away from his illegal concerns

so Loraith shall get back to his roots, contact his old criminal chums, his smuggling frinds and whatnot
[16:38] Loraith: and form his own brothels and things

[16:43] Loraith: two things I want from Rilana are any family heirlooms and for her to get Loraith the role of captain of the Waterfront watch

This begs a bunch of questions, which perhaps Sevti can add to and Darti or Gavin comment on. The ones that immediately come to mind are:

- exactly what was Loraith's father's business? Is it still in existence?
- what were Loraith's underworld connections (mentioned in his character background). Are they still active?
- What underworld exists in Cerleann? We have the pirates on the outlying isles, but they must deal with someone in the city. Plus there's the slave trade.
- Who are the main NPCs in this shady world?
- Is there anything but the City Guard that looks after enforcing laws in the docks?

That's what pops in my head for the moment. Much to think about, and even more to develop! I shall sleep on this and hopefully have better brainstorming thoughts for tomorrow.

All in all though, I am pleased since Loraith at least seems to have conjured a rational plan toward which he can work. This is definitely better than his "please drop something in my lap" approach he has used lately, so I want to provide some successes here to encourage more of the same behaviour.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Post by Dartimos Hammer »

I am writing this on my PDA so it will be short.

1 Cuhir is current head of slaves trading on Kis.- Possible links back to the twins?
2 The dock workers loading the slaves are the one telling the Wolf to be ready for them.
3 This will certainly put him on Argil's radar.
4 He might actually become a hero for busting up the slave trade.
Comfort Level =D / Age = 41 (Gasp!!!)
Posting 1-2 times per week.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

Note for Sam 31:

Loraith has sent three notes by boat. He will need to remember to post them to Citadel on Sam 31 so they don't get lost in the Aether.
Tickle-fight champion.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Okay. In chat today another plan sprang up.

[15:09] Loraith: Btw did the Caesar did of natural causes?
[15:09] Loraith: Anorchim?
[15:09] Kerensky: Anochrim was poisoned
[15:09] Loraith: by who?
[15:10] Kerensky: unknown to players
[15:11] Kerensky: and it shall remain so until someone finds out
[15:11] Loraith: known to you I suppose?
[15:11] Kerensky: of course
[15:11] Loraith: bah Loraith should find out, he was related to Aorchim after all
[15:11] Loraith: Isnt Anorchim's body in Kislovan now?
[15:12] Kerensky: yup
[15:12] Loraith: could be a nice little quest for Loraith to undertake not relating to him getting ahead, more working out the death of an extended relative
[15:12] Kerensky: why
[15:12] Kerensky: IC reason?
[15:13] Loraith: Well for one thing they are related, I mean I would like Loraith to pay his repects anyway
[15:13] Loraith: obviously he does not know Anorchim was poisoned so I would not undertake the quest
[15:13] Loraith: but might see if I can have him peer at the body at some point
[15:14] Kerensky: funeral is over
[15:14] Kerensky: he is buried already
[15:14] Kerensky: I think
[15:14] Loraith: isnt his body kept someplace?
[15:15] Kerensky: I don't know
[15:15] Loraith: I would have thought they would preserve him for a bit
[15:15] Kerensky: Kis is not mine
[15:15] Kerensky: ask Seb or sEVTI
[15:15] Loraith: wwell if he is buried than I wont persue the mystery since Loraith knows of no intrigue
[15:15] Loraith: I suppose the mystery will never be solved

Just a heads up.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

The newest bit in his plots and plans...

[09:17] <Loraith> Aha just remembered I have a question for future reference, if you dont mind?
[09:17] <Sevti> Go for it.
[09:18] <Loraith> the body of Anorchim, would it be buried or sort of kept preserved via magic?
[09:19] <Sevti> Preserved by magic, most likely.
[09:20] <Loraith> So a fellow like Loraith in the right circumstances could visit?
[09:20] <Sevti> It will be guarded, but yes.
[09:20] <Loraith> they are related after all, albeit distantly :)
[09:21] <Loraith> At least I presume all the noble houses are related to the royal house
[09:21] <Sevti> Very, very distantly.
[09:22] <Sevti> But anyone would be able to pay respects to the body.
[09:22] <Loraith> But Loraith is justifed when he claims to be a relative of the Queen ;)
[09:22] <Loraith> And that is the important thing
[09:23] <Sevti> Anyone can claim it. Most would not believe it. Not an achadhiel.
[09:24] <Loraith> well if Loraith manages to get a position in the royal guard then methinks he shall pay a visit
Tickle-fight champion.

Return to “Kislovan Archive”