The Battle of Islay (Samheen 27th )

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Doran
Civus

Post by Doran »

Doran bent down looking at the parchment and the sword hardly paying any attention to the surrounding chaos around him. He only had one question on his mind for that moment and that was is Ymir's name on that hit list or not ? If the sergeant's name was on that list there's good chance he was captured. If it wasn't well most likely he was traitor and a spy.

Doran just couldn't get himself to think that Ymir was a spy. Why remove such well position spy he thought to himself? This would be best chance for Ymir now if indeed he was a spy. He would more than likely be promoted and be able to lead the the whole camp including the Count to there deaths on coming battle. On the other hand this attack is way to get an well accomplished spy back to home to report although a costley one. Doran couldn't help but think what his father use to say. He say Doran humans only thing you can count on from them is to steal you blind and leave you for dead can't trust none of them. Doran shook his head and hoped his father would be proved wrong.

Doran mind ran back to his comrades and hoped they were ok. He looked up at the Count wondering what he was thinking. The Count hadn't spoken to him since he told him he had fought well. "Sir (addressing the Count) if you have no more further need of me I like to go back to my squad and check on my comrades. I know at least one them was hurt in the battle I don't know about the rest. Unless of course you have more orders for me sir?
Last edited by Doran on Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Vale gave a solemn nod to Enzirou as he made effort of lifting Tin’s body. With some effort it was possible to lay down the patient upon its side and then starting the procedure. When that was all done a simple slash with a flint knife made sure that the arrow shaft would not protrude when removing the hauberk. “Easy now tuirdhiels we cannot bare to cause additional wounds when removing the mail from your comrade.” With additional effort Vale removed the helmet and moved the hauberk over the head to make Sevti’ilan be able to treat the arrow wound. Locks of blond hair fell along side Tin’s shoulder when the helmet was removed but this did not cause much trouble for Vale.

Vale looked a bit strange at Enzirou but was too tense to be speaking out. The hauberk became lose as the healer had unbuckled the belt. The pack was already lying near Tin’s head suggesting that Vale had already made an attempt in comforting his wounded comrade. It made a good rest position for Tin to rest upon and the hauberk came of relatively easy being it was loosely worn. The healer spoke softly when he noticed that long cloth shirt was worn under the ring-layered quilt. “The wound is rather deep as far I can see the arrow had an amazing velocity so deep it is more like a bolt… It went straight through the ring, quilt and padding without being slowed down at all… I seen a many abnormal wound today; it would almost suggest that faith is against us young achalaliels.” The white cloth had a large stain of blood going down the left side of the back. Vale placed down the blanket close to make sure Tin would be warm when the final layer of clothes would be removed.

Vale now nervously spoke out to Enzirou as he held Tin’s head wrapped in the topside of the blanket. “Can you remove the shirt I will then wrap in the blanket while you make sure the Tin’s upper body does not topple over.” Both Vale and the healer were treating Tin with the utmost of care and it was up To Enzirou to remove the long shirt. It was connected with a simple strand of cloth around the neck and wrists and it seemed Tin quickly got dressed as it was sloppy.

Sevti’Ilan had all the tools out he would need to cut the wound open and draw the arrow out. His famous balm was lying at the side with colourful bandages and other medical equipment. Vale was holding Tin closely and Enzirou could use whatever means needed to remove the bloodied shirt from young Tin.

Post by Guest »

“Can you remove the shirt I will then wrap in the blanket while you make sure the Tin’s upper body does not topple over.”

Enzirou quickly unkotted the strands of sloth around the wrists d neck, he then pulled them out to their maximum size which would manake it easier to take the shirt off. He began to roll the shirt up to Tin's neck, "I can't mess this up". The shirt was now rolled up to Tin's neck, Enzirou gently pulled his uninjured arm out of the sleeve and then pulled the remainder over his head.

With some effort he then mangaged to gently pull the shirt off the arm which was on the same side as the injury. He put the shirt aside and looked gravely at the healer, "Now it's up to you".

Post by Guest »

The strands came off with relative ease even one was barely tied suggesting Tin dressed in haste. Sevti’ilan made sure his removal did not brush on the short arrow shaft and Vale who kept the blanket close by and the head in place maintained stability. The shirt was easily widened and slipped easily off the unconscious youth. Now Tin lay there almost bare-chested and that was only the starting amazement.

The healer was already starting with dislodging the arrow from the wound, when it became apparent to Enzirou’s eyes. Tin was built quite different then any warrior seen in the Dort armed forces. Wide hips, slender waist and milky-white soft skin made a pleasant appearance. A simple piece of cloth would’ve been wrapped around the chest of Tin, alas it was been moved out of place. The warrior was facing directly at the symbol of womanhood; a breast the size of a man’s hand belonging to a maiden not much older then fifteen or sixteen autumns old…

It was not hard for Phillinie to view the spectacle as well from the angle he stood he could easily see Tin lying while tended to by his comrades. The atmosphere in the camp was tense but treatment of the injured was not hindered in any way. From his angle the show was even easier to observe and when the cloths were removed he saw a young maiden revealing her bosom. Tin had the build of a lass used at living on the farm and would be quite desirable too most men…

A lot of things would finally fall in place or did they not?

Post by Guest »

Startled and amazed Enzirou looked up at the rest of the group. He stood up and walked away from the scene in where the injury was being treated. He looked over the battlefield where the bodies of the dead were being laid out and where soldiers marched about looking for friends. " What other surprises are we going to have today". A small smirk slowly made it's way onto his face and that smirk turned into a small, silent laugh.

He made his way back to the area in which the group was located and sat with his back towards the medical scene. He looked up at Vale and Phill who seemed to still be amazed by the fact that the 'he',being Tin, was actually a she.

He closed his eye's briefly and mentally stored the looks on both of their faces, "Whenever I need something humourous to laugh at I'll just remember how amazed we all were" . He smiled cheekily and then looked up at Phill, I see your just as surprised as I am". He looked into the distance and smiled once again, something unexpected, had in a way, lightened the atmosphere despite all the violence and betrayal which had occured a short time ago.
Phillinie

Post by Phillinie »

Of all of the revelations, Tin being a female was the least on his mind. In the back of his mind he had had his suspicions, nimbleness, frying up a good breakfast out of nowhere with herbs, and not the least of all how he/she had mother henned him on the wearing of his armor. It was not the first time he had experienced women trying to pass as men. There had been several instances while he was aboard his ships where new "crewmen" were found to be crewwoman. The results of these encounters rarely turned out well for the woman. The luckiest were kept as pets by the Captain, or were able to jump overboard and try to swim for their life. The memory of the screams of those less lucky were firmly scarred in Phillinie's memory. His suspicions however, did not stop him from gaping like a fish out of water when the truth of the matter was presented to him.

Closing his mouth and coming back to his senses he said," Namaste, to you healer." turning to his companions, "Can we get some cloth over those before we have a whole camp staring. If we are going to keep as a squad the last thing we need is to be defending her virtue at the same time we are trying to fight the enemy. I would think it best if this little secret didn't fly about. Being under Ymir's command is going to give us enough scrutiny. By the way, anyone seen our sargent or did he disappear with Ymir? We need to get ourselves and our gear ready to go. With all of the i fighting I would not be surprised if some of the men turn against us. At a minimum I would expect some questioning to be coming our way."

Turning back to the healer,"If there is anything I can get for you or do to help Tin's recovery please let me know. She...he will be in my prayers."
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

Doran

The Count looked down at the hardy dwarf warrior and clapped him warmly on the shoulder.

"I think Willows and I can take it from here. Although I would like you and your squad to join me tonight. There are tough decisions to be made, and I want some men I can count on to carry them out. Bring yourself and your squad, including whatever commander you may have left to my tents after our march. We need to move away from here and regroup. Tell your friends we're going to have a rough day ahead. Tomorrow after we have gathered our wits and pulled ourselves up from this...setback. We are going to re-take the city!"

All

Ymir's name was not on the list, but all of the dead leaders were, indicating without doubt that the large, burly man had not been what he had seemed. The anger at his betrayal went through the camps like a wave. Ordered was forcibly restored by the Count and his men. For more than two marks, questions were asked of all who had been in contact with Ymir. They were grilled over what they had seen, whom Ymir had talked to and associated with, whom did he shy away from. Witnesses were brought forth to vouch for them. Craigh had been located and brought forth to speak on their behalf.

After the wounded were tended to, and the dead all accounted for. The Count spent the better part of the morning replacing his commanders. Sergeant Craigh was named to replace Ymir and promoted to Lieutenant. He chose the close band of his former squadmates as his own. Because of their actions in raising the alarm, and helping fend off the attack to save the Count, they were named as part of the Count's personal retinue and given the Count's standard to bear into battle.

There were some repercussions of being closely allied to Ymir the spy. Many of the other squads shunned them and some accusations of being spies themselves still fluttered about the camp. This talk was quickly put down by Craigh and Willows and before long the open talk soon dimmed into distant grumblings.

True to his word, the Count gave the orders to march, and the army limped up to the doorstep of the town of Islay. What should have been a day spent in retaking the town with honor and glory, was instead spent with bickering and fighting in the morning, and ending with the bitter grumblings of a disheartened force.

As night fell once more, Craigh summoned his squad, including the wounded Tin and Vale as well, and brought them to the tent flap of the Count. They were quickly ushered inside. The Count sat on a cushion on the bare earthen floor, a low table big enough for ten men to sit and eat comfortably around it stretched out in front of him. Willows sat as his right hand, and another Captain, unknown to them sat at his left. There were other waiting cushions for anyone else. The Count raised his eyes to the newcomers and smiled weakly.

"Please, join us. There is food...and wine. Enough for all. Please. Sit."

Sergeant Craigh wasted little time. Dining with the Count was a rare opportunity, and he decided to take advantage of it in an instant. Captain Willows looked up as well, expectant and waiting to see how the men under his newly formed command would handle themselves.

Post by Guest »

This was a day of surprises for Enzirou and he was sure that the rest of the group felt the same way. He was displeased by the fact that the army had considered him and the rest of the group spies as they were formerly under Ymir's command but also he was confused about how Ymir had decided to betray the army in which he had grown a good reputation with. The image of Ymir’s sword poked constantly at Enzirou’s mind, “Traitors sword” he’d branded the blade. The sword that had betrayed it’s allies, he grimaced at the thought of Ymir yet he still felt some loyalty towards him and in his mind he played out the scenario of the group eventually having to fight and possibly kill their former commander, the only question that remained was that if the scenario occurred would Enzirou be able to go through with it. The fact was that Enzirou, like everyone, else had weaknesses and one of his was loyalty, would he be able to fight and kill Ymir? The thought would have to remain secret for now he didn’t want the group to be wary of him at this point in time.

He was pleased by the fact that the Count had recognized the groups’ efforts but he wondered what the Count’s next move would be. He wondered what a man with such power had to go through each and everyday, making decisions on behalf of his people and army. “ He must have it tough, though a man who can get up each day and continue to make good decisions and keep the interest of his people at heart deserves loyalty”. But even thinking that Enzirou’s loyalty to Ymir still held strong despite his anger towards him. He looked at the group and then back towards where they were headed, “I wonder if they’ll understand how I feel”. He pushed the thought aside and tried to focus on what was going to happen next.

"Please, join us. There is food...and wine. Enough for all. Please. Sit."
Looking around at the rest of his squad he saw that none of them had made a move. He stepped into the tent and followed Sergeant Craigh's lead. He took a small amount of food and wine so he didn't seem greedy and sat down on one of the cushions that was towards the end of the table. He watched the Count with quiet curiosity and waited to see why they had been called into the Counts tent.
Doran
Civus

Post by Doran »

Doran smiled up at the Count and then bowed "I'll tell my comrades of your orders and we shall see you tonight sir". With that Doran turned and headed toward what was left of his tent and squad.

As he was walking back Doran could not get Ymir's treachery out of his head. All he could think about was how if he met up with that traitor again he was going to take his head. To dishonor himself and his squad like this was totally unforgivable act. Doran ignored any slurs that were coming from the other squads as he headed back. All there insults just added fuel to his hatred toward Ymir. He shook his head Ymir will pay for this if not by somebody's else hands definitely his own .

After making his way back to what was left of his camp he saw the make shift tent and part of his squad Phillinie, Enzirou,and Vale. Doran gave a tired smile up. "Glad to see all you are safe and sound how is Tin?" by curious expression's on there faces that he read wrong he ducked quickly into the tent. He saw Tin standing fully dressed and gave a sigh of relief. He quickly got down on one knee and asked " Tin I beg your pardon for leaving you injured and going to help the Count. I figured that I had the best chance to help the Count and the others would get you out harms way. I am glad I was right ,but still was risky move on your life and I oppoligise for my actions." Without giving Tin chance to respond Doran stood and headed out of the tent.

"The Count says we are to march out to safer territory and we are to dine with him tonight. He says he needs men he can trust to do something for him." Doran said this to the others without actually looking at any of them. Now he thought if I am to dine with the Count I need to get some of this blood off myself. He turned to see his few belongings still intact then looked over at Vale because he was last one out the tent Vale must of been the one to save them. Doran clasp Vale on the back "thankyou for keeping level head in this mess and saving what little I have from being roasted I owe you one." With that said he turned and started rummaging through his pack.

After few minutes he gathered up bucket of water and some rags. He had taken of his breast plate and with his hammer he retrieve form his pack he began to try bang few of the dents out of his armor. After few minutes he was satisfied with his work and started washing of the blood off his all his armor and his axe. Not quite getting all the blood off at least it would not stink off death he was thankful for that. At last he washed his face and hands in the remaining water he managed to have kept clean in the bucket. After he decided he taken more than enough time cleaning up he put his breastplate on strapped his axe to his back and put his backpack back on waited for order to move out was called.

After awhile the call to stop was called and he helped reasemble his camp for the night . Offering to help Tin when ever he could. Knowing he was still weak from his injury. Wasn't long before Lieutenant Craigh summonded them to join him and the Count in the Count's tent. Doran followed Enzirou in looking over at the Count he smiled and glad he at least made a good impression on him. He looked over at the two men seated on each side of the Count one was newly ranked captain Willows and the other one he did not know. Doran sat down on Enzirou right side and waited for Count to start eating before he took any food after all the Count was head of this table. He watched a few men eating rapidly and said nothing only when the Count started eating would he fix himself a plate he did not want to appear rude or that he did not know his place here.

Post by Guest »

The whole medical procedure was done for the most away from prying eyes. Tin slept the whole time and Vale merely had wrapped her in with the green quilt blankets and then left matters to Sevti’ilan. Everything would turn with no lasting damages, but the healer did exchange some words with Vale who nodded. Afterwards Tin was left in Vale’s care within a small tent and that was the end of things. The battle had been tense sapping the strength and zest of many a men and those who lived wondered if finally their luck would return.

Doran’s little jump into the tent was barely noticeable to Tin who was in no condition to speak. Now fully dressed and wrapped in her own quilt coverage she replied not all at and used the remainder of the day recovering from blood loss. The farm girl had known that it was best to take the day resting it was equal when a cow or horse got hurt and lost blood. The well skilled healer had placed a good herbal patch, which would speed up the healing considerable. She would be as good as new in a couple of days but for the time being her left arm and shoulder was feeling numb, responding very sluggish and painful.

They all had gathered under the count’s command and she felt for the most not at ease between the men. Vale had suggested that wearing the tight garb of men’s clothes she possessed would not be useful. So she had gone for what she would wear when defending the farm against marauders. A thick padded and stitched battle dress was her best bet and it covered her up from neck to just above the ankles. Designed for under the quilt ring-mail her father had made, it was far better designed to take the impact then her a regular men’s shirt. She got hurt due to breaking the rules he had taught her so long ago… Shame of her womanhood had almost gotten her killed and that was not going to happen again.

Vale did similar as Enzirou starting out with a humble bit of food then fiddling a bit with it and staring around at everyone. He was neatly dressed in his famed jacket, his hair tied backwards with cloth lint. Nervous he was in appearance looking as if he preferred someone else to break the silence and start talking.

Tin sat away from the others giving a blank stare forward as if watching through the count and his officers. Hands covered by gloves and a shawl around the neck, shoulder and head she was a very modest site. Her blond curls were barely visible and she made a secluded and withdrawn appearance enhanced by her silk cloak. Her clothes were made from silk, as she knew dining with nobility and it was well tailored and very sturdy. Still… it was if the old Tin had died and now a maiden was sent to replace him… in a way he had died that misty morning at the hands of a zealous clansman’s arrow…
Phillinie

Post by Phillinie »

Phill attempted to help the healer with Tin's procedure in whatever way he could but mostly felt in the way. Vale seemed to have the situation well in hand. Phill thought the wound looked serious but barring flesh rot Tin would probably be ok. He thanked the Adhiel for his service. Just before he left Phill remembered that this was the same healer that Ymir had seen not a few days before.
Phill hesitated and asked "Excuse me, but when you were treating Ymir for his burns, did you happen to notice a copper torc around his neck?" Phill waited expectantly for his reply he still held out hope that Ymir may not have been the trader he was rumored to be.

OC: We can have this brief conversation thread off line or I can just post results in future dialogue.

It did not take long for the story of Ymir's name not being on the list to reach Phill's ears, and he could see Stares as cold as the northern nights from the others in the company. The news of moving out was on everyones lips so he took the time to clean his weapons, straighten his pack and get ready for the march with his new Lieutenant Craigh.
It was a big surprise to Phill that his group was made part Count's personal retinue and given the Count's standard to bear into battle even after Ymir was branded a traitor. Maybe he did it just so we would be safe from the other troops. Not likely they would attack the Counts personal men lightly, he thought to himself.

While the march was miserable with bickering and infighting it was is good that the formation moved slowly and that there was not far to go.

Tin does not look all that well for travel, Phill thought and he took Tins load with him to ease, his/her burden.

The biggest surprise of the day was held in the evening when their new Lieutenant Craigh told them they would be dining with the Count. Phill took a few moments to straighten his outfit and make himself presentable. He decided to go with only the Hunting Knife tat he had picked up during his scouting excursion. It was secured openly on his waist looking somewhat ornamental. It had been a quick ride from entering the city just a few days before to dining with the Count. Phill was feeling a bit swept up by events and a little uncomfortable.

Phill had tried as they were getting ready to convince Tin to keep up the facade of being a man but he was unsuccessful. There were not many women in this company and the few he had seen were relegated to healer positions. At least she could wear the cloths of a warrior. Instead she was dressed in what Phill considered to be finery. A shawl for gods' sake. I would hate to see her leave, she looks like a great asset in battle.

As he approached the tent flap with the rest of his squad feeling nervous he began to give himself advice. Act like you belong and you have done this before. If you look like you know what you are ding people will assume you do. Show respect but do not kowtow. Walk proud but not haughty. Speak if spoken too and always look them in the eye.

With the invitation to come an join the Count, Phill followed Craigh in and sat next to him. It was likely any information from the Count would be directed at Craigh and Phill wanted to hear it first hand. As was custom Phill waited until the Count, Captain and lieutenant had taken of the food and drink before putting a portion in front of him. Phill felt tension in the air as he awaited the conversation to begin.

Post by Guest »

Noting how the squad sat fairly far away from each other Enzirou’s mind began to wonder, “What’ll happen now? The events of today seem to have pushed us apart”. He sat as quietly and as rigidly as everyone else did. He thought about breaking the silence but waiting for the count to address the communion, as a whole seemed to be the right thing to do.

The air was thick with anger, fear and a strong feeling of betrayal, which he himself could easily relate to. The food on his plate began to grow cold as time trudged on and on in the tent. He nudged Doran and smiled weakly, “It’s good to see that we all made it out safely”. He looked at his food once again then whispered to Doran, “What do you think will happen now? So much has happened today, the skirmish, finding out Tin’s…well…. real identity and…the betrayal of Ymir”.
Doran
Civus

Post by Doran »

Doran looked at Enzirou curious then smiled and whispered back " I'ay good to see you all made through alive as well". Then Doran started speaking Elven " its lucky we acted so quickly or we could be having our last meal tonight instead of eating with Count. Ymir's treachery will not go unavenged I assure you of that."Doran's eye's gleamed with hate when he said that. "If wasn't for Count,Captain Willows, and lieutenant Craigh the rest squads would have surely killeds us all. Still might if we show any sign to follow Ymir's path."

Doran speaking still Elven "What do you mean Tin's true identity who is he really?" With Doran being away and with Tin being covered and not speaking to him he still had no idea that he was a she.

"We were lucky come through this alive today. I think if Clansmen would have attack us in full force there be few survivors and what few there were would be heading back to Dort without pay or a Count." Doran sighed "This rabble were traveling with are acting more like scared unprepared children than troops and mercenary's." Doran remembered the old farmers and the boy's he seen on first day of arrival to camp. The walking dead they just don't know it yet he thought.

Doran started speaking human again and whispered. "I think the Count summoned us here, because he truly thankful to us for standing our ground and doing our duty. He might possibly have something important for us do and wants men that will keep there head in a conflict. Although he could just want us to be his new personal guard." Doran chuckled a little at that. "Your best guess is good as mine." Doran smiled up at Enzirou again " its good you all survived even if you are all a little under dressed for this war." He chuckled once more and was quite glad he kept his armor when he left Nazareeen. "Besides I hate to lose my first friends I made in Dort. Maybe someday I try make you decent armor when this over with." Doran looked at Enzirou. "maybe" he chuckled.

Post by Guest »

The whole atmosphere was tense and all Vale did was listen too small chitchat building up. He wanted too bound with his mates too, speak out a little of ye’ old tongue. Armour made sounded nice and he would enjoy a little scale underneath his jacket. Add a tad of a gorget, fancy helm and other things, ye’ he could certainly dig that idea. He looked around seeing a cheerful chat had emerged, still he preferred listening for now rather then join in.

Tin however had no intention being jolly and bright. The pain her shoulder was agonizing even though the farm lass did as if everything was without trouble. Underneath the cloak there was a wide cloth band visible. She could rest her arm if the weight became too much, for now however she preferred placing it in her lap.

The idea troubled her… she could be send away for masquerading as a man. Ymir understood it; then again he turned about to be one with the clan. These same clans gave women opportunity to explore more active duties in life. She heard the many tales from the old days when the clans ruled all. It was a long time ago when the lands were young and ‘uncounted’ for. Women could even become heroines, fighting strong and she listened those tales wishing with passion.

She gazed at Phillinie who had earlier pleaded to dress up as a boy again. She had been uncertain if that was meant as an insult or sign of care. Vale was a bit wiser and knew that man’s clothes weren’t designed for women. The place the wound was located asked for a roomy coverage and a man’s shirt was too tight for her… Again she did not wish too bleed again just because she refused to wear with her own mother made for her. She looked at her right hand covered by glove, the fine woven silk made her feel at ease.

She stared at Phillinie for a while displaying a soft smile, a bit unsure of what comes next. Tin’s mouths slightly opened for a flicker as if she wished too speak. However she closed it again slowly uncertain what too say. Still Doran and Enzirou had a nice talk, the stout dwarf even speaking elfish. The maiden wanted to talk; alas she just did not know what too say.

It was amusing however hearing that the dwarf was absolutely clueless. Her garb was feminine with an edge, the strong woven tight and ready for combat. She thought about Doran again and the lands he resided from. In Dwarven society likely they had equal rights for men and women, so much easier to do as one pleased. It was time to act and Tin decided to start talking too Phil from across her seat. Anyone else could easily pick up on this as well though.

“Namaste…my friends”

It was filled with an accented undertone and spoken like a proper lady would. She rarely used it and only learned it because of the diversity of people living in Dort. She just hoped the count would not lean to heavy on her for the whole disguise idea. Courtesy was a good thing and a strong woman would not be afraid to start a conversation.

OOC: Great going guys, let’s start a little chitchat and get some heads together.

I’m proud of ye. -)

Post by Guest »

Enzirou smiled at Doran’s suggestion of making him some good armour, “Some good armour…would be nice”. He still felt hot and sweaty in his armour and suddenly became conscious of the fact that he hadn’t been able to have a decent wash in the past few days. He looked over at Tin and saw that she’d begun to talk to Phillinie, he small smile of relief tugged at his lips, “Good, she’s talking again”. He then looked over at Vale and speaking in elvish he said quietly, “ Friend, why don’t you come and talk to Doran and myself?” His stomach growled gently as the smell of the food on the plates began to waft into his nose. He ignored it and looked at Doran again with the thought of Ymir still in his mind, “What do you think they’ll do with his sword? Will they melt in down and turn it into something else?”
Phillinie

Post by Phillinie »

"Namaste, my friend," Phill replied to Tin. "You clean up well and color is returning to your face that is good. It is amazing how much stuff you have packed in your pack. All this finery, and a cooking set, let a lone all your gear. You must show me that secret sometime. Or maybe you hae one of those magical bottomless bags. That would come in handy. " Phill attempted to keep the conversation both low in volume and light in content. It appeared to Phill that the squad, like him, was not totally comfortable with dining with the Count. A little light banter might allow the tension to be broken.

Phill was also observing the interaction between the Count and the other officers gathered in the tent. You could sometimes tell by the tone of voice or type of comment which people had the confidence and support of leadership ad which were dismissed out of hand. There was information to be gathered here and Phill knew it was normally knowledge that kept you out of trouble and skill that saved you from it.
Doran
Civus

Post by Doran »

Doran looked back up at Enzirou "well if I have my wayabout it they'd keep it and use it chop off his treacheris head. Then they can mount it above gates of Dort for a warning to all." Doran didn't know if Enzirou or any others listening would be shocked at his comments or not. Didn't matter best to express his opinions of the matter openly.

"What's you say about it Vale?" Doran trying to draw Vale into some kind of conversation. He has been unusually quite. Would expected Vale to be carrying on 3 or 4 conversations at once by now. Maybe seeing Tin getting hurt got him rattled some. The possibility of him actually getting hurt may come up in his head.

Doran looked over at the Count who is yet to eat or drink. If he doesn't get some thing soon I'm going forget my place and fix me something to eat. He turned his attention back to Tin "Namaste to you as well." Well he appears to be she this did not really surprise Doran to much. He had noticed that every once in while her actions tended to be more Feminine in nature just kept his opinions to himself. Didn't matter to him she was a capable fighter and could handle herself in battle. that was only thing that mattered.

Post by Guest »

Vale chuckled a bit louder then normal would be allowed. It was a sign of loosening up and he looked around with a funny smirk. He was feeling a bit skittish of the whole scene for reasons unknown. Hearing Tin made a relieve feeling, even though he knew she been hurt bad. You had to admire a gal from Dort they were tougher then on most isles.

“Namaste my allies, nice to be here and I wish all a good dinner. Yep Doran, Armour is nice, armour is good, armour keeps you alive, and Vale loves a good suit. However Vale is a bit tight on lance to buy a good one…”

He laughed a bit embarrassed true he was rather purse emptied. It was the reason he had joined the forces but he hadn’t seen a single coin yet. Ignoring this fact he did make relaxed nature and started nibbling on a piece of meat on his plate. Careful he nibbled around the edges like a mouse keeping the juice centre for last. *Tasty*

Tin had a faint amusement on her face trying to hide the fact her shoulder was pulsation. She felt pleased about it knowing that it was a process of healing and in a while an awful itch would soon set in. She preferred hearing the bag remark, which was funny and she giggled too herself.

“Tuirdhiels, enjoy your dinner… I’m going just to…”

Tin took a bit of fruit of the table and took a knife to start peeling the pear. Slowly making the circle smaller she did this with some delicacy and left a perfect tin ring of peel. She smiled to anyone watching her peel the small fruit.

“My shoulder is a bit better, I’ll be better in some days. Phil, about my bag the secret is good folding and organizing, my mother taught me that. You can store twice or three times more things if you fold well and place them in right order.”

She became silent hearing of Ymir and had a peculiar look upon her face as well.

Ymir… the thought of Betrayal… the blade of treason… The hate caused by Ymir…

Vale mumbled silently trying to get the talk back on path too something cheerful… Mumbles of meat and potatoes could be heard from his now soft rambling.

OOC: Both Vale & Tin speak elven in which Vale is well versed, while Tin's is quite basic. I understand everyone wishes to be speaking it, unless the count tells otherwise. ;)
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

When they arrived and began to sit and eat, the Count resumed his conversation with Captain Willows as if they had been there the entire time. They were talking about the outlying terrain around the town of Islay and where it provided any strategic advantage or was actually a hindrance. The consensus was that given the size of their force, and the recent fires from the attack, that their presence was already well known and that any sort of hidden approach was simply not possible.

As the companions began to softly converse in the Adhiel tongue, Willows and the Captain fell silent, uncomfortable silent. The Count addressed this when a pause in the conversation was apparent.

"Gentlemen... and lady." He acknowledged the newly revealed lady in the room with a nod. "There have been enough secrets in this particular force to last us all a good long time. Although I admire your knowledge in another tongue, I would prefer that we keep our conversations open for all to participate in, lest others think we have more ugly surprises in store."

The Count stood, clearly irritated.

"But now that I have your attention, it's time we discussed the reason for my invitation. After dawn tomorrow we will be setting foot in the town of Islay to reclaim it. Lieutenant Craigh chose you, in repayment and to honor your service today, to be the squad to carry our banner into the city. Given the events of the past day, this would likely have made you a target for our enemies and I'm sure you would have accounted yourselves well. Alas, this was not meant to be."

He reached down and picked up his cup, taking a long drink before replacing back to the table.

"When we march into the city tomorrow, we must be prepared for just about anything. The clans have had a good long time to prepare for our coming. They could have any number of traps and ambushes awaiting us. I mean to retake this city. This is my home, and was for many yahren. I mean to have it back under the Duke's control at this time tomorrow. I intend to be the point of the spear in that operation. We will ride into the city, and take it by force. But you will not be a part of this mission. I have a different mission for you to complete, one that is likely far more dangerous."

"We have been a force invaded by spies and other treachery. Willows has assured me that he believes Sergeant Ymir was likely acting in concert with a small band, none of whom have been accounted for since the ambush this morningtide. We believe it was a small cell of no more than four or five people. Craigh has reported that although all of you associated with Ymir in different ways, it is unlikely that any of you had anything to do with our betrayal. Furthermore, I believe him."

"Because of your knowledge and association with Ymir, I find you to be the ones that knew him best. You knew his tendencies, his habits and his reactions. From what Craigh has told me, he taught you a great deal and there is knowledge and power of his thoughts and inclinations in those teachings. Enough power to necessitate a whole new mission. Traitors against the Duke will not stand. They must not stand."

He paused as he evaluated them with silent glances around the table.

"Your mission is to hunt down the traitor Ymir and bring me his head."

Post by Guest »

"There have been enough secrets in this particular force to last us all a good long time. Although I admire your knowledge in another tongue, I would prefer that we keep our conversations open for all to participate in, lest others think we have more ugly surprises in store."

Enzirou dropped his head slightly in embarrassment. He looked the Count and the face, “My apologies sir, we meant no offence”. He fell silent and waited for the Count to continue his speech.

"Because of your knowledge and association with Ymir, I find you to be the ones that knew him best. You knew his tendencies, his habits and his reactions. From what Craigh has told me, he taught you a great deal and there is knowledge and power of his thoughts and inclinations in those teachings. Enough power to necessitate a whole new mission. Traitors against the Duke will not stand. They must not stand."

Enzirou stared at the Count and began to wonder where the Count was taking his speech. The man was not pleased and Enzirou began to grow apprehensive for reasons he himself to understand, “Where is he taking this? Surely a man of this stature must’ve looked at the clansmen’s side of the story, they wouldn’t be fighting like this for no apparent reason”. The suspicion began to force thoughts into his mind, “Ymir has now turned out to be a clanman and he wasn’t barbaric or uncivilised.” The thought refused to be pushed away and throbbed in the achadhiel’s confused mind.

"Your mission is to hunt down the traitor Ymir and bring me his head."

At that statement Enzirou sat and stared blankly at his plate of food, his eyes were wide and it looked as if he was in a state of shock. Sweat began to break onto his hands making the inside of his gloves moist. He swallowed what little saliva remained in his mouth and looked around at his companions he knew many of them would easily do what the Count had ordered without a second thought but for him it was different, this wasn’t some unknown clansman this was Ymir; the man who’d helped and trained them in their first days of joining the army. He looked up at the Count and masked his shock, “Will they not give the Clanmen a chance to voice their reason for fighting and how am I supposed to bring myself to kill someone who’d helped me so much…someone I am still loyal to despite his betrayal”. He looked around the table and saw that no one had said anything, “That is our mission…we will not fail you”. He looked down at his food and then back up at the Count , Captain Willows and Liutenant Craigh, “Excuse my rudeness but the events of today have tired me out may I have your permission to be excused?”
Last edited by Guest on Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doran
Civus

Post by Doran »

The Count stood, clearly irritated
"There have been enough secrets in this particular force to last us all a good long time. Although I admire your knowledge in another tongue, I would prefer that we keep our conversations open for all to participate in, lest others think we have more ugly surprises in store."

Doran listened to Count intensely and waited for his turn to speak.
Doran couldn't believe his ears the Count wanted them to hunt down and kill Ymir. Doran smiled to himself,the Count is giving them great honor and a extremely dangerous mission.

Doran stood up after Enzirou spoke "My oppoligise as well we meant no disrespect " Doran bowed his head and lifted again. "We are truly honored for giving us the chance bring Ymir's crimes to justice. Although we would have been equally honored to carry your banner into the city. If that would have been your wish" Doran paused then filled his glass with wine and raised." To the death of Ymir and all the traitors to Dort. Then he tipped his glass and drank heavily and sat down and fixed himself a plate. than drank the entire glass at once.

Doran eye's gleamed of vengeance and hoped Tin's shoulder healed quickly so they could set off. "Sir (addressing the Count once more) if you give us the names of the other suspected traitors we would see that they are brought before you."Doran then turned to his plate and started eating and thinking about how to proceed.[/i]

Post by Guest »

The scene gave some comfort too Vale who found in Ymir a man with no courage. The count wishing his death was a bit unsettling but he didn’t show that all. He let everything just slide past him and concentrated upon the task ahead. Again that was only a mere flicker cause more concentration was much to hard for edgy Vale.

“You are right Doran we must reclaim our honour and bring him down to size! A toast to success and the obliteration of the filth that tries to stop us! Wahoo let us gear up tomorrow and do some ruff and tumble!”

As Doran did he shared in the toast with much vigour to the seeming approval of all gathered. He gulped quick and steady at his red wine and smiled with a mouth half full. Many toasts would be shared Vale reckoned and he wondered if not he woke with a hangover the next morning. He would really approve with the armour promised by Doran, still likely it had to be made first…

Different then others Tin looked more startled then cheerful with the notion. She bit he lip acting as if she couldn’t toast. Fact remained she stayed away from wine, knowing it would cloud the mind and thinner the blood. She knew Ymir for almost an entire yahr and he had kept her safe. If not had ranged alarm she would’ve been unharmed and her mind saddened at the notion of his demise.

Ymir had helped her when men for enlisting the Dort militia troubled her. He kept her safe and taught her much of the wild lands, movements of combat and perseverance. She would have had a horrid time, becoming cold, over cautious if he didn’t show her the ‘keys’.

“A toast yes… I have to pass I believe that wine is not so healthy right now, the doctor advised against it, comrades. I will stick to my pear, bad arm and all…”

The maiden gave a nervous smile, her tone filled with anxiety uncertain to be positive or negative. Truth was that Tin could not be able to lay down a man of whom she learned so much. He had been like an uncle to him, looking past her gender and little traits so fitting with a woman. Now they planned to kill that man… her mind got empty maybe she should’ve stayed at the farmstead.

If her brother had not gotten hurt she would’ve never made the journey to far away Dort… Still he was in no state to do civil duties let alone join the armed forces. Tin wanted adventure, see the world and be free… She got a little more then she bargained for.
Phillinie

Post by Phillinie »

Phill was a bit surprised by the Counts comments. An educated man would no how to speak the basics in Adhiel. I could understand it if he didn't speak dwarven or gnomish. he said to himself. Be that as it may, he would speak in the common human tongue so he would not offend his host.

I may be thick headed he was thinking to himself, but this could easily be a set up. Why if he was so embedded in the troops would Ymir leave then. He could have easily gotten even higher in the ranks if he had stayed. Ymir would have been in the perfect position to ruin any of the Counts plans. It is also hard to belive that he would leave Esmarelda behind and the healer noticed no copper torc around his neck when he was treating him. Somethings did not add up and Phill was not quick to judgement. Phill could not bring himself to say these things in this forum. It was clear that the mood in the tent was calling for Ymir's blood and did not want to hear ideas to the contrary. It also might get him branded as a traitor as well.

Best tread lightly with these thoughts.

But when raising his glass for a toast he could not bring himself to call for Ymir's head.

"May justice be done" Phill said and drank his wine. He would need to talk to his squad mates and work out these ideas.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Enzirou was released without comment as Craigh nodded his approval. They then drank to Doran's toast.

The Count gave each a level, measured gaze. There was a great deal of malice in his eyes, not at them, but at the thought of what traitors and spies had done to his army. It was a look of defiance and unfulfilled vengeance. When he spoke, it was in the clipped and curt tones of man barely containing his fury.

"Eat. Drink. Rest and relax. You will set out at dawn tomorrow."

Lieutenant Craigh and Captain Willows also looked on. It was Craigh who spoke up.

"As you command my lord." He said simply, almost sheepishly.

In response, the Count emptied his cup and stormed out of the tent. Captain Willows stood politely as his liege departed, but the act went unseen except by those in the tent. Willows took a deep breath and sat back down.

"For what it's worth, it did not take a lot of convincing for the Count to believe that you were not part of Ymir's band. He believes that you are, and were, innocent of Ymir's treachery. This mission to reclaim Islay has not gone well for any of us, and he is in a rage because of it. He is grateful that you have served so well thus far, and he has entrusted you in avenging his honor. I have given Craigh all the resources he needs for you to succeed."

There was an empty moment as Willows and Craigh exchanged glances.

"I understand this may be difficult. I know the value of a friend and what it is to be betrayed by them. You all served under Ymir and likely viewed him as an ally, someone to be trusted. It will be best if you forget those feelings. Ymir's treachery was of the highest order. He targeted the leadership of this army, all the way up to the Count. If you are having difficulty with that concept, I suggest you walk over to the healer's tents and view the bodies of the men he had butchered. Men with wives and children. Families that will never see their loved ones again. If you will not hunt his head for your sake, I suggest you do it for them. They are owed vengeance. They are owed at least that tiny bit of justice."

Willows wiped his mouth with a napkin which he promptly tossed onto his plate afterwards. He stood and looked upon them.

"Now if you will excuse me. I have some final preparations to make for tomorrow's invasion. Good luck to you in your mission. I wish you success." With that, he walked out of the tent.

There was a flicker or two of silence before Craigh spoke up again.

"If any of you are having second thoughts about this mission, now is the time to speak up. We all be dead if you aren't totally committed to success, and so I need you to talk about it now if you're not. It's not too late to make some changes, but I need to know where your intentions lie. Speak up now, or hold your peace."
Phillinie

Post by Phillinie »

Phillinie still had his doubts, but the tone and the manner expressed at this dinner told him not to voice them. He had always been one to not believe anything until he actually saw it for himself. But if Ymir was in fact guilty of all that was claimed, it was high treachery indeed and he should be brought to justice.

"Sir there was mention of Ymir and a small band of others, 4 or 5 that are not accounted for. Do we have their names and descriptions so we can root them all out? And do we have any indication where they are hiding. Ymir was a good scout it may be hard to track them if they don't want to be found." Phill asked.

Ymir had taught Phill everything he knew about tracking and being a scout, which truthful at this point was not much. He was going to be at a strong disadvantage when it came to finding this band of traders and bringing them to justice. He would definitely have to rely on the skills of others to help.

Still torn between what he wanted and the expected reality of Ymir's faithfulness Phill thought to himself, "Also if Ymir did not go willingly then he will have left us a clear path to follow, else we will know he was part of the treachery. Just need to have confirmation in my mind. Either way there was clear treachery and someone must pay for it."

Return to “Dort Archive”