Entering the Bardic School (Samheen 26)

Moderator: Mods

Soleil

Entering the Bardic School (Samheen 26)

Post by Soleil »

On the same square as the Red Rose Guild and the Temple of Pan, The Bardic College stood, as it had for many yaren. A small doorway off the street led into a brightly lit antechamber dominated by a dark wooden desk. Behind the desk several doors opened into other parts of the college. The air of the chamber was scented with the fragrance of lavender, and something a bit sweeter, a light citrus smell of sorts. The walls were hung with a variety of tapestries, most depicting bards in various poses, but some showed battles of the past and other glorious events. The sound of the feet of those entering was muffled by the deep pile of the rug throw over the cold flagstone floor.

Sitting behind the desk was small birdlike young man, busily scribbling in a ledger opened before him. Behind the desk the young man looked up from his scratchings, a look of mild surprise on his face. It seemed that he was not expecting visitors, or perhaps he had just been so engrossed in his work that he had forgotten where he was.

"Welcome to the Bardic College of the Citadel. How may I help you?" he asked, but then added quickly, "There are no concerts today."

Soleil walked in the streets of the Citadel for what it seed like hours, but it couldn't be more then half an hour. She asked a few people until she found her first destination in this rocky isle - The School of Bards. She sniffed the air with a small smile, admiring the soft smell of lavender. Her eyes wandered around the room as she brows on the tapestries. The rug, under her feet was soft and worm.

After a few long minutes, the light-brown haired female moved to the desk who was in the center of the room. Her big brown eyes looked at the birdlike man quietly until he noticed her arrival. She considered his words for a moment and then said, in perfect Elven, "Good day, dear sir. Would it be possible for me to join your school to learn a few lessons? I am Soleil, by the way."
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Well," replied the thin man, his expression one of thoughtful patience that came from being generally unaccustomed to the adhiel language. It had long since been relegated as a novelty since the human tongue was elected the Imperial language of choice, and few in the Seven Isles had any great concern to use it. Oh, it was still taught...and a few of the more rural oddities even used it routinely...but even the adhiel living in the Citadel didn't routinely converse in the language anymore.

In addition, while Soleil's question was hardly difficult, it would require a very complex answer. Licking his lips quickly, the footman tried to phrase his answer in the most adhiel way he might, though it was clear he lacked the depth of vocabulary to properly express himself. "This place is...not one that you might join, madam. Masters we have, and they often teach others, of course...but there is nothing to join, as you suggest. We do employ certain individuals...caretakers and the like...but even they do not live here. You see, we have...a refectory, several classrooms, meeting rooms, and it is here where the esteemed Bardic Guild meets to issue Bardic Permits...but this place, the Bardic College, is more of an...association or cooperation than any real institution."

"Now do not be low in spirits, madam! If it is training you seek, I'm sure you can find it and negotiate a fair price with your instructor...but you must understand that we...do not have rooms or facilities to house people here. In fact, the greater number of those studying here often earn their fees doing labor elsewhere," finished the little man, waving his hand as if his gesture might help demonstrate his point more clearly to the newly-arrived adhiel.
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Soleil

Post by Soleil »

Soleil nodded her head thoughtfully. It seemed that this Bardic School was different from what she had thought it would be. Also, it seemed that one of the first things she would have to do would be to improve her human. The experience with the guard at the gates taught her that. Here it seemed the same, but at least this man know some elfish...

"I would love to join your association of bards, good sir, but I am afraid I would have to learn more before I would be in the appropriate level. Maybe you need a worker in the refectory? I know the basic way of cooking... It will also improve my human. It seems that not many in those isles know elfin, except you, of course..." with the last sentence, Soleil smiles to the kind man and continued "If human is the common language around those parts, maybe you can find me a teacher who would be willing to improve my human? I would like to be a writer, but writers needs to be understood, so I think I would have to write in human..."
Last edited by Soleil on Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Ah, you see..." grimaced the footman. "My adhiel requires some education as well. It is not...refectory for eating, but...conservatory? Ah...a place for music...where we hold...musical concerts," he stammered, his adhiel rather poor both in vocabulary and in pronunciation. "The College employs perhaps a dozen people to act as curators for maintenance and the like, and I'm afraid we have all we need. I am myself an employee of the College directly, but I know of no positions available at the college just now."

"But do not lose hope just yet, madam! You see, each of the Masters or instructors here might take employees of their own. It is...precious rare, and you may be far more fortunate seeking employment outside the college, but it can happen given the right opportunity. The best place for a job, especially for a newly-arrived traveller, would be the Burpin Dragon. I've heard recently that Bill has been inquiring for a few positions in the city, some for himself and some for the Citadel itself."

The footman...and he was no footman in truth, but his position was quite similar to a footman...gave Soleil an appreciative smile. "You needn't worry overmuch about your human tongue, madam! A few days here in the Citadel, and no doubt you'll improve quickly. Indeed, human is the most common tongue here, though for more classical studies, adhiel is still quite...often..." (he clearly sought and failed to find the word frequent in his adhiel vocabulary) "...and so, the upper class do indeed speak adhiel more routinely. As you wish to write, you will find both human and adhiel to be quite acceptable for literature, as the more refined, learned among us...those that can read at all...tend to be educated in both human and adhiel as well as a scattering of other written languages."

"If I might be so very bold, madam...about what do you intend to write? It is a very noble art to commit oneself to a written work, and I have known many a scholar to attempt it, some of whom were known here or perhaps the Repository nearby. The...Repository is a library, of sorts, though it collects all manner of...unaffiliated scholars in the city."
Soleil

Post by Soleil »

Soleil was disappointed but she didn't lose all hope. Listening to the man in front of her, she nodded her head and pushed back her brown hair.

"I love to write stories but my real Passion is poetry, good sir. Do you think that I should look for an instructor in that area to improve my work? I will try to search for employment in the Burpin Dragon... Hmm, is Bill the owner of that place?"
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Bill? No, but he is...he runs the place, you see," replied the footman quickly. Bill the Dwarf had quite a reputation of his own, a reputation that began with his name. Clearly, Bill was not the only dwarf in the city...in fact, there were dwarves in government that held a much more prominent position...but Bill had a lengthy history to him that entitled him to the title of the Dwarf, a man from Dort that quickly took up control of the city's most popular and successful pub for the older couple that owned the place. In these days, Bill was as much a part of the Burpin Dragon's legacy as the timbers, plaster, and stone that made the place...and as most newcomers to the city found their way to the Dragon...and to Bill...the affectionate title of "Bill the Dwarf" seemed to cling to him well. "He knows all that happens at the place, and since it remains our most popular pub, I've no doubt he'll know much of what happens in the city. The Burpin Dragon, if you are indeed interested in the place, can be found at the end of Temple Lane...this street here...where it converges with Imperial Way."

"When you do wish for training in poetry...perhaps reading or history...you might inquire here tomorrow, for the Masters should be in. Being Rasday, there's precious little activity here today," he offered, though he was not convinced there were people that might train in poetry. Oh, they had poets...and they had those that studied them and read them...but studying poets and poetry wasn't always a fair way to help one actually write poetry. Still, Jacob didn't actually know a great deal about it...he was a musician himself, and a rather passable one...and only just better than illiterate. "If we can't help you with such writings, perhaps someone at the Repository could help you? Sadly, poetry is a very mysterious art, and most poets are quite...exotic people, I find."
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Inactive/locked
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

No skill advances awarded.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.

Return to “Inner City Archive”