War of the One: Life of a Soldier [Sam 26]

Moderators: Syra, Mods

Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

wow

Post by Brytan »

Brytan took the garments and dressed himself as instructed. He had to admit he admired the colours chosen and didn't feel bad about putting the garb on over his regular clothing. He regretted the fact he hadn't had the chance to go home and suit up in his leather armor, but at least he had his daggers along for the ride.

Among the other soldiers he attemped to gather some padding to protect him from what was to come. He felt comfortable wielding just his two small blades, but going onto a battlefield wearing nothing but cloth made him feel slightly uneasy, so he looked around to see if anyone could help him with that problem.

As the makeshift torches were handed out he took one as they prepared for battle, and when the king arrived in full suit, displaying a tremendous charisma as he appeared in his pristine white armor, Brytan couldn't help but feel like he was in fact doing the work of Dominicus. He was in Taquar apparently to do good.

But he wasn't about to get mesmerised by words. There would be darkness ahead, and Dominicus might be powerfull with them, but Brytan didn't feel the need to go visit him in the Aether just yet. He didn't question yet, it wasn't the time. The army was too massive and no orders had been given. He just hoped that he wouldn't end up as cannon fodder...
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Dranlen

Post by Dranlen »

Dranlen struggled to find a uniform to fit his large frame as it seemed that they were few size to choose from, if any. He was grateful however that it wasn't the blue and black of the soldiers who had recruited him but the red and black of Pax Honestus. He knew he would wear the uniform with pride even if it didn't fit him perfectly. He listened to the advice that the older soldiers gave and though he had no need of extra weapons he made sure that some of the other recruits each had a weapon as well.

He tried to identify the names of the sergeants within the group and to see whether any provisions were to be handed out, for although he had eaten some of the recruits may not of done.

It was the first time that Dranlen had seen or heward his king, he was not disappointed. Dressed in white that gleamed with the pure light of Dominicus even Dranlen wondered about whether his doubts about the one god and his nascent interest in Pan was well founded. For it seemed that Pan could not save the forest of Taquar from the nether and yet Dominicus surely would have that power.

When the adhiel woman materialised he could not hear her words, but her unnatural beauty haunted him.The question was whether she was a memory of the Taquar or but a ruse of the nether to dissuade or trick the king.

With a sword, shield and armour Dranlen was happy to fight in the front line and if it was sensible he would also carry a burning torch in his shield arm. Whilst talking to the soldiers he also asked them what they faced, unaware that they themselves had just arrived. He knew little of the nether sand would seek to know more of what they might face.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Brytan managed to secure some padded armor, while Dranlen made some quick friends sharing his own weapons. There was clear anticipation in the air, heightened by the appearance of the king. Draftees, especially untrained ones that were likely to die in the first mark of a battle, were not the most motivated legionaires, but even the most grumpy of men couldn't help but be touched by Balthasar's boyish bright charm.

Every legion got back into shape, preparing for attack. Most had both cavelry and infantry, but the newly shaped Pax Honestus was consisted mainly of infantry and thus was at an advantage. Michel found himself in the frontline with his troops.
Last edited by Maeve on Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Dranlen

Post by Dranlen »

The events unfolding on the plain to their front with their commander, the King and the Adhiel spirit seemed to transfix several of his comrades. Dranlen was himself agog at the woman's ethereal beauty and her voluptuous curves. However he was still finding his way within this new family. Where were the sub units, where would he stand, with whom would he fight and would he fight something that was natural that day. The stories of the nether from his childhood were few, most of them were, if not terrifying then certainly disturbing in nature.

It seemed the portal had brought them into a war zone, and perhaps unlike the veterans he was eager to proove his metal in battle, naievely perhaps, but he would no doubt learn.
Brytan

brytan

Post by Brytan »

Brytan felt better now that he had secured some armor that suited him good. He had never worn metal armors as they restricted his movement and he had always relied on speed and agility rather than strength. As he checked his padded leather and strapped it to suit him, adjusting his regiment colours to fall over the padding, he felt a rush of blood as the king was halted by the mysterious adhiel woman.

"She must be something else to have such powers." He thought as he watched the scene, not at all at ease by what she seemed to represent. Magic had never been something he was at all comfortable with, and he hadn't forgotten what had befallen his sister and how odd the circumstances of that happenstance. He readied his weapons.

At that moment their commander went forward and closer to the conversation taking place. He even got in between the king and the woman at some point, shouting over the wind. This wasn't good. He moved to the right flank of the regiment, and then forward some to have some freedom of movement should things go awry. He wasn't about to get struck by any spells today, not if he could help it. His hands got sweaty as he gripped the handles of his daggers. By Dominicus, what did he get himself into?
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

The waiting was the most aweful part of war. Waiting endlessly for things to move forward, without being able to catch half of what was going on. Knowing that you could die at any flicker, just not which flicker.

The forest of Taquar beckoned omniously in the distance, an evil that needed to be banished. A religious fervor had taken hold of the Royal Troops, even those that hadn't in truth converted to the One were resolved in this moment that they were fighting a just cause, even though it meant such a horrid thing as burning a forest that was alive, moving before their very eyes, shimmering in and out of their conciousness, movement at the corner of their eyes that they just couldn't catch. There was something there, and it emitted almost a stench of evil.

Behind them the portal was still operational. Even when the first legions moved forward they were still pulling people in from all over the kingdom which gave the whole scene something choatic. Organized chaos, but nonetheless not the strict order that one would expect of the military, as if at best the King was improvising as he went along.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Brytan

ah

Post by Brytan »

"Shadows, more shadows."

The forests ahead loomed ominously over the horizon, promissing death where once life had been prevalent. It dawned on Brytan at this point that indeed a great evil was at work here, an evil that should be stopped. His faith in Dominicus had always been strong, and now in that faith he felt a cause. A light he should struggle to protect, a darkness to be combatted in the midst of the ancient trees of the Adhiel realm of Taquar.

He moved with his batallion, blades at the ready in their sheaths, a torch unlit in his hand. Whatever should befall them, he had Dominicus behind him, he could feel it in his blood more strongly than ever.
As the trees came closer though, shadows moving between the trees, he could not help but listen to the small voice in the back of his mind telling him to get out while he was ahead, to run, to flee, back to his family, his parents, his sister.

No.

He was here now, and he would finish what he started, even though at first he didn't start it at all willingly. This was a chance to do right by his god.

He did however note to himself that he would be no good to The One if he were dead...

Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

Langredoc was happy when the attitude of the harbourmaster changed from lethargy into something that looked like sympathy. Then the man showed him the way towards ...... yes what actually ?

When they stepped into the man's office he knew he was in trouble..

The draft officer, a blond man who was slightly balding grinned as the harbormaster approached and announced "Here is one, fresh out of Dort, searching for the One." "Right lad, you are drafted. Welcome to the legions of the King."

Maybe, just maybe the remark to hide his religion had not been as smart as he expected it to be..... Langredoc sighed. He concluded that he had just jumped hard on the tail of a dragon and it had swallowed him whole........

He realised that even when he would run, and escape those five very experienced looking soldiers, he did not know where to go and how to hide... So for now he just had to be a happy piece of battle meat. He made himself no illusion about his situation when he walked apparently happy and inwardly a..... tat frustrated. It seemed that his only freedom so far was to be able to take the a ship from Dort, just to end up being trapped in a army he probably would dislike even more then the last one. At least among the mercenaries his religion was respected, here it was non existent, or worse.

He send a heart felt THANKS !! towards the Red Warrior. Then decided that he better waited until he could jump the army. After all, a army mend at least, food, a roof above your head and maybe even some money. beside that it could take months before some action would happen. Enough time to train and learn.

.........wrong........again.....they gave him a uniform of the Pax Honestus, red and black, not all that bad, at least the red part. The bad thing was that he had left Worlds Mouth by something magical, a gate. And now he was on a plain full of dead meat, with some experienced soldiers mixed in the middle. He decided to quickly change his clothing for chainmail and the uniform, war would start sooner then he had anticipated. And it was not even his own war. And he had no intension to die in it, for the wrong king, the wrong god and against the wrong enemy.

Feeling very uncomfortable in the uniform he walked towards the unit that he was told to join. He would have preferred to have joined a cavalry unit. But spare horses where even in good times hard to find, and expensive. Too expensive to waste on a foreigner. At least his swords felt comfortable on his back.

The target of the legions seemed to be the massive forrest ahead. He swallowed a lump when he concluded that the army would fight Adhiel....something he dreaded.... arrows..... and even worse.... not his enemy.

Then he arrived at the place he was supposed to be. And the drafted, unmotivated untrained warriors made him feel really annoyed. Especially because they had to keep themselves and him alive. And like this they would die as corn before the farmer. So in a few burns he offered to tell them how to hold their weapons, keep close. And to support each other, just to get some organisation that would save their, and his own life.

This looked for now, a even worse place to be. He wished that he was back on the ship. But after a flicker he sighed and smiled, confidence was the first rule. And battle was calling, the Red Warrior would be proud. Then he asked the most important question.

"Is there something to eat around here ?" somehow considering the rest of the chaos he did not expect a positive answer. So he just checked that his weapons where ready to be used. He would see who would like some support in handling their weapons.....poor buggers. He hoped that they had put some money away to pay the ferry man...
Last edited by Langredoc on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
[quote]I am the warrior of the raven, traveling from war to war feeding on the dead and the living alike. Until darkness fall's.[/quote]

Dranlen

Post by Dranlen »

"Only what you brought with you, I've not seen anything approaching rations yet." muttered Dranlen to his new companion.

The unstained tunic was as familiar as his own, clearly another new arrival, but at least this one wore armour, so he clearly had some martial experience.

"Where did you pass from? I came from Roque a short while ago, clearly the recruiting officers aren't slacking in their desire to bring reinforements to this war. I wonder how many will survive whatever forces the nether bring against us. I'm called Dranlen by the way."
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

Langredoc was a bit surprised by the quick response by the tall man standing nearby. His first judgement was that he stood out compared to the others. First he was tall, taller then him selve, and muscled. Second, he looked like a more experienced soldier.

But the remark that their where no supplies yet, confirmed that this war was not the best arranged one.

Then the man said "Where did you pass from? I came from Roque a short while ago, clearly the recruiting officers aren't slacking in their desire to bring reinforements to this war. I wonder how many will survive whatever forces the nether bring against us. I'm called Dranlen by the way."

After a flicker Langredoc responded with a smile at his lips. "My name is Langredoc. Pleased to meat you. Just for the record, I just got kicked to this place from Worlds Mouth. And looking at those tree's I would say Adhiel, and that means a lot of arrow's. If I had to guess, I would say that we are needed to shield the more important forces...we are the expendables. Besides that, we better get some water. To many have torches...and tree's burn. You seem to be more experienced then the rest..what is your background ?"

Langredoc's mind wandered a bit while thinking about this place he swallowed away a lump while watching the tree's. Adhiel, the realization suddenly did sink in. He had met Adhiel before and he liked them. especially the one female one who taught him how to read and write..and the art of lovemaking. He still wondered why she left so sudden, only saying goodbye to him. It could have been connected to this. The idea of fighting those people was not something he enjoyed. Especially not their females....

The relax a bit he took out his sword and concentrated on some sword mastering. Position of cat...swallow...hawk..hawk..cat.. Taking his sword sword. Double block, with cat.....swing of hawk with cat.... Slowly he focused back to his weapons, preparing for the battle...the dance with Goddess death...as the reprecentation of the Red Warrior.... noone shall pass....the warrior...
Last edited by Langredoc on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote]I am the warrior of the raven, traveling from war to war feeding on the dead and the living alike. Until darkness fall's.[/quote]

Dranlen

Post by Dranlen »

"Well met Langredoc, perhaps we will face Adhiel, but I have a feeling that it will be much worse than that. The king has faith in Dominicus that he will see our side to victory, yet we face the nether so who knows what things we will face.

I suspect everyone is expendable at this time, it seems to me that they make a desperate gambit to defeat the threat. Many of these appear to have no training, or even weapons. It is as if they think that mere numbers will defeat the enemy. We have already taken casulaties though from bolts of lightning, see there that scorch mark and those injured. What worries me is that we face a foe, we might never see or cross blades with.

I agree about the water, but I'm not sure we should break ranks and I have a feeling we'll be seeing water soon enough in the forest."

You seem to be more experienced then the rest..what is your background ?"

Dranlen would have laughed if they had been in an inn, but he barely broke into a smile due to the seriousness of the situation.

"Trained, I suspect so, experienced, I doubt it. I'm not sure that this whole regiment isn't new. Even those who were here before have fairly new uniforms. It doesn't strike me as a veteran unit, so perhaps you're right, we are the expendables. This is my first war, but not my first fight, I had been looking to join a mercenary outfit when I suddenly found myself beholden to my King and a member of his army."

He decided not to expond on his inexperience any further but to ask the same question in return, clearly Langredoc had some experience, and he certainly seemed travelled.

"You're not from Wolrd's mouth though are you, have you fought in such a campaign before?"
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

"You're not from Wolrd's mouth though are you, have you fought in such a campaign before?" where Draylon's words and they brought a smile on Langredoc's face.

"I don't think anybody has fought in such campain, Sir Draylon....anybody who lives I mean. And for me being experienced...I did spent most of my life growing up in a mercenary camp in Dort. So yes I have seen and participated in more then my fair shair of slaughter. Mercenary life is far from ideal. But at least you don't starf to death...."

After a pause of a few flicker's he resumed "I just wonder what, what they call Nether, really is.... From my point of view it just seems that these men are more a sacrifice then a army...and it makes me....uneasy. Do you have a large shield Sir Draylon ? I think that soon we could need one. And we better get these guys a bit....prepared. So they don't panic and get themselves killed at the first moment something happens."

Langredoc scanned the horizon in search of answers to the questions that bothered him.... "For who are we actually fighting ? The person I mean.."
Last edited by Langredoc on Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Brytan

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Brytan was looking at the army around him stand to a halt as the king and their captain were discussing pleasantries with the shady figure of the adhiel as behind him several men started discussing the state of this army. It made him think. "Aye, this isn't a well prepared army. We might as well go out there and be fed to dragons in the pit directly."

He turned to see who it was that was spouting the doubt about this whole operation and viewed the two men from a slight distance, listening in on their debate as to how they'd go about training an entire army division single handedly two flickers before battle.

"Silly people." Not that he'd know better. They seemed more skilled in battle than he was for sure, but doubt wasn't something that helped in the heat of battle.

"It's that one, over there." Brytan said to Langredoc as he pointed to King Balthasar, obviously poised at the front rank in his shining white platemail. "They call him King Balthasar, never heard of him have you?"

Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

Langredoc nodded towards the other man. "Yes, I have heard about him.....Sir." Being unsure about the status of the man, he decided to grant him a title.

King Balthasar, Balthasar the hero.... Balthasar the mad man. Time would tell. he thought.

Then he waited again for the response of the man called Dranlen.

He watched the king in his shining armour. Thinking that the men made a great target...

Dranlen

Post by Dranlen »

"Whom is it that we fight, we know not yet. Our commander and the king converse with the Adhiel image yonder, but whether she be a true spirit or whether a trick of the nether I know not. You are right to be uneasy, we might indeed be seen as a sacrifice, but we can at least fight back and where there is life there is still hope.

I have a shield Langredoc, but not the largest kind, in woods the trees will help I expect and too large a shield might be more cumbersome in such terrain anyway.

The problem is we are the recruits and there seems to be no one in authority who, other than tell us to share weapons or grab a stick has told us anything of what to do, what we face or even how we should fight. In a few minutes we will advance as little more than a rabble into battle against our unknown foe.

I know nothing of the nether and what it contains, other than what you hear in tales to scare children. Can you enlighten us sir?"

His last question was directed this new man had attempted to join in the conversation.
Brytan

hey

Post by Brytan »

"No need to call me sir. I am no knight, just a draftee like yourselves. I am Brytan of Roque d'Ancourt." He figured an introduction was in order, since he prefered knowing who he was talking to, it made sense the same went for others. "And all this sir business is making me feel old."

"As for the Nether, I don't really know anything about it, just that it's something you'd wanna stay far away from if possible. Recently I've seen a little too many things which hit a little too close to home. Magick can be foul business to say the least."

Brytan was edging to the thorough conviction that magick and the Nether were unmistakeably two sides of the same coin. A shudder went through him as he had kept eyeing the treeline for the entire duration of the conversation and watched the mysterious shadows creeping amongst the brush in the distance.

"Apparently though, that's not something we'll be able to do. But as with all things dark, light tends to be very effective against it. Setting the forest alight seems fitting somehow..." he checked the torch he had been handed, still slightly dripping with the oil it had been submerged in. "...yes, may the light of Dominicus shine on us all." he repeated below his breath.

Dranlen

Post by Dranlen »

"So we fight darkness with light Brytan, that certainly seems apt, though I wonder what nature of creatures, if any we will face. I cannot se our swords stopping much magic, nor our shields for that matter. I cannot understand what the Adhiel would have with the nether, surely they would fight it as well rather than protect it.

It will be sad to destroy such a majestic forest but if that is the only way to cleanse the land of the nether then so be it, though I wonder for the aftermath. Fire is destruction which is surely the nethers greatest tool, if the enemy, whatever it is survives the fire then it's might grow with the destruction that we wrought."

Dranlen was putting to thoughts from his head into the conversation and letting his words flow, not worrying too much where they took him at this point. It seemed as though they would have a long wait before they actually saw any action.
Nemesis
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Nemesis »

OOC: This really has no bearing on your thread, but you would notice it.

The sword stood where the swing stopped, it's point firmly in the middle of her neck. she looked down at the sword then back up to meet Michel's angry glare. There was what looked to be a pout on the woman's face momentarily. The pouty lips then changed to that of a grin, twisted and maniacal. The adhiel woman began to laugh, mocking Michel in all his fury.

"Ahhh hahahaha," she cackled, "you fool." The woman that stood before Michel, with the crown of the tari of Taquar upside down on her head began to change. Her soft passionate eyes were replaced by cold, empty, black orbs. Her teeth grew into large menacing fangs. The skin of the lovely woman looked as if it was being burned away as it began to boil and fester before Michel, and everyone else's eyes. Her pristine face transformed into that of the true form of their enemy, the chaos demon Blayvanna.

Stranger yet, Michel could see that the blade of his sword was beginning to glow. Orange at first then red as the color wormed its way up the blade. At the same time both of his hands began to get warmer and warmer. The longer he held the weapon, the hotter his hands got. "Your steel is worthless mortal," the demon image bellowed out. "And you will die just as the adhiel have perished," the demon then said.

Far away from the battlefield, unbeknownst to all, a small child was playing inside while his mother busy outside their little house hanging laundry to dry. The child's innocent playing went on unnoticed by the mother. So did the candle that he knocked over.
I see the future, and the future is bleeding.
Brytan

demon spawn

Post by Brytan »

Brytan turned as he heard voices from the ranks of soldiers spout curses and disgust as they watched the scene of their Captain. He noticed the demon change into it's true form and he almost threw up at the sight of it, barely managing to compose himself.

"So this is what we're facing? May Dominicus have mercy on us all."

He turned to the two men he had been speaking to. "That's one ugly demon. I hope and pray there aren't many more or we won't have a chance." He looked across the mustered forces, which were present in numbers greater than he had ever seen. But magick was something that no amount of men could battle, his father had said. "When you face magick, you either run away, or get them while they're not looking."

Brytan made a solemn vow that he wouldn't run.

Dranlen

Post by Dranlen »

"Perhaps we will not face the adhiel after all, though I am not sure I prefer this foe. All we can do is follow the battle plan and return these things to the nether for good."

Dranlen was being pragmatic, he was a soldier, this is what he had resigned himself to being, or perhaps in fact looked forward to it. Until he could make a difference there seemed little point in worrying over much. At present these actions unfolding before him were the psychological battles that went on before many battles. He was perhaps not used to the scae of them but he did recognise them for what they were.

"These are merely ruses to influence our minds Brytan, the enemy seeks to break our leaders morale and ours, however it is by fire and steel we can win this day. This magic will play a part no doubt, but it is outside my domain, I have no skill at it, nor am I sure I would want it.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

The scene that took place was disturbing to say the least. The words did not reach the troops, but they did see their Captain drop his sword. But, he did stand his ground and it was the demon that disappeared. There were a few whispers and one in particular caught Brytan's attention. "He banished the demon. Dominicus is on our side." And it began to spread around.

Then the King spoke in a display of magnificence. "That is what we face. That is what we fight. Darkness has many faces and some are not so obvious. Tricks will not sway our path. We will show no fear. We bring the light. We are the Light. Demons, heathens, heretics. They shall all fall. For Dominicus." The words had impact as many a grim scowl soon emerged. Fear was not the dominant emotion. Anger was. And as their sovereign started his slow march, Sergeant snapped a sharp command nearby. "Alright, you worms. Move out. Keep the line or I will make you. MOVE." And the entire army started a slow march onward.

The forest loomed ahead as ominous as ever. And with each step it grew larger. The darkness beneath the trees seemed unnatural. And people could almost swear they saw shining eyes in that darkness. Yet, whenever they tried to focus on that spot there was nothing there. Still, they all had a crawling sensation that they were watched. By whom was still a mystery.
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Brytan smiled. Dominicus was with them, he nad no doubt. Whatever darkness lay in wait for them in the looming forest ahead he did not know, but he would face it as he had in the confines of Roque d'Ancourt. He would face it to do his father proud, he would face it and survive.

He moved with the rest of the army, trying what he could to keep enough room to decide on his own movement. The trees came closer, as came the sense of evil the Nether had sent upon them. The torch he had been handed was still in his left hand, ready to be lit when the signal was given. The light of Dominicus would right this evil. And if it didn't, Brytan would have his blades lend a helping hand.

Dranlen

Post by Dranlen »

"At last" thought Dranlen, it has begun. The sergeants word clarioned loud and he moved in pace with those near him on the front line. There were dangers ahead and he was not a little apprehensive, but adrenalin surged through him at the thought he would soon be fighting, able to put into practice the hours he had spent trying to learn his chosen profession. Conveniently he forgot that the bruises now faded would this time be replaced by wounds that might not heal so fast.

With a shield in his left hand and sword in his right, he stepped forward ready to fight any who came against them, to protect those who carried the torches. He was wary, hunching down slightly as they approached the edge of the forest, that any missiles would surely be amongst them soon, should they be launched.

Looking left and right he gauged his companions, to see whether they were veterans or not, whether they knew their trade and what weapons they carried, now was not the time for idle chat for he would need to listen for the commands issued and for the enemy.

He hoped that Dominicus was with them, even though he still doubted to himself that there was only one god.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

No arrows came. In fact nothing happened. The trees loomed higher and closer with each step. And with them the unnatural sense of dread. Dranlen could see the unease in people around him. In the way they held their shoulders hunched. The way their eyes darted over the darkness under the eaves of the forest. The way they shifted the grips of their weapons. Even the Sergeant seemed ill at ease, though he hid it well. But, even he could not help but scan the woods for any sign of enemy.

A shout was heard to the side and soon, Brytan saw a boy of no more than sixteen years running in front of the lines with a lit torch. He paused at each torchbearer and lit their torch. He paused at Brytan's side and huffed a bit until the oil caught the flame. It crackled a bit and then the flames leapt into the air. A thick black smoke rose as the oil burned and then the flame cleared a bit. It crackled as they walked and came closer and closer to the forest.

"Halt." Ordered the Sergeant as they came within twenty paces of the forest and waited for the line to stop. "Torchbearers. Step forward. To the forest. Let it burn. Cleanse the pagans and the demons out of it." And the man started their wary approach. One in about twenty carried a torch and they stepped forward reluctantly. Yet, still there was no attack. And with each step they came closer the forest seemed to grow darker. Only the light of their torches penetrated the darkness a bit. But, all around those circles of light there was only darkness. And the only sound was the crackling of flames. No sound came from the forest.

As he approached, Brytan could see more clearly what awaited them. Big, thick and dark trees whose leaves shaded all the light. The leaves seemed to dance in the wind and whisper to him as he approached. And bellow the trees stood what seemed like impenetrable wall of bushes. Chest high they were and there seemed to be no way through. No path. No way in.
Last edited by Gavin Tylvan on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Dranlen

Post by Dranlen »

Dranlen halted quickly on the order, unnerved by the strangeness of the woods ahead he was privately pleased that he would not be the first to approach so close. He wondered though how easily the forest would burn. He seemed to recall that unless a tree was timber dry it was not the easiest thing to set alight, if it were that dry then the danger of the grass upon which they stood catching seemed as great, if not greater.

He tested the wind see in which direction it caressed his face and watched carefully lest any creatures erupt from the forest to harm his new companions as they approached the edges of the wood, most of them it seemed with trepidation.

Return to “T'aquar Archive”