War of the One: Life of a Soldier [Sam 26]

Moderators: Syra, Mods

Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

Ah, the darkness. Somehow the dark of night always made Brytan feel at home, as opposed to the darkness they were supposed to combat while here. The silence of the city as night fell over Roque always made him feel at ease when sculking around the houses and corners of dark alleyways, training on rooftops or scavenging for open windows and the loot behind them.

"Nobles are so sloppy."

Brytan never got disappointed by noblemen, and women, but more often the men. They always fit his idea of nobles to a T, and in this war, run by nobles, again he wasn't disappointed. They seemed to care less for what happened to the common soldier who stood at the front and gave their lives in the fires they set.

All thoughts quickly forgotten as they got up and moved from their restingplace. Brytan felt much better and the darkness brought out his will to stretch his muscles which were a tad sore from sitting on the ground for so long. He moved with Cryden to the guardpost, walking as silently as possible. The ground beneath him no doubt proving a new challenge for his stealthing ability as he was more used to the cold stone and sand of the city streets.

"SHIT!"

Cryden let out the cry at almost the same instant as Brytan noticed the group rushing towards their encampment. The silent man bolted for the trees and Brytan followed suit, acting on instinct. Looking for cover. As they made it to the trees Brytan crouched down and peered through the dark of night to see what it was that was coming towards them. "Armor, weapons. Not ours, the army hasn't moved a meter since the fire started." Brytan whispered to Cryden.

"What is that running in front of them?" Brytan dared to venture a guess as the group got closer to the treeline. "Looks like they're chasing someone."

Brytan prayed they hadn't heard Cryden's outburst. The group looked large, maybe ten or more, heavily armed. It would take only burns, maybe flickers for them to reach the trees. No way they could take them alone. He looked around the post to see if the guards whom they were supposed to relieve were still there, that would help. If not he checked for a horn or anything to signal incoming danger. "No way those bloody nobles would put us here without a signal?"

"Cryden, I hope you're good with that bow. I'll check for a signal to call for backup. Once that group gets within range, start shooting at their back runners, that should distract them. Just pray their nightvision sucks as much as ours does."

"The enemy of the enemy is my friend. We have to save that one they're chasing."

Brytan checked to make sure his weapons were ready, he did his best work in the dark. "If we can just get that group to scatter and stop running..."
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Dranlen

Post by Dranlen »

The night passed slowly, the gentle rustle of the ash as it blew across the stark landscape whispered lullabies to Dranlen. Yet tired as he was, he did not fall asleep. His mind was alert and he soon found tricks to keep himself awake, judging the distances ahead of him, learning the sounds of this landscape, looking both into the darkness ahead and at Langredoc, conscious that even the dim glow of the camp behind would ruin what little eyesight he had made him rarely turn to look behind with more than a single eye.

He did not converse much with Langredoc during the night but did move closer to ensure both him and the other man were alert. Not to converse perhaps, for the ash got everywhere and had a bitter taste. He did not hear the approach of the relief but he did hear the exclamation and the approaching creatures whatever they were would be upon them soon, this was real, this what what he had joined for.

A moment of hesitation was followed by the need to shout an alarm, perhaps there were only a dozen, but if they were competent they could kill many if the encampment was still asleep. It would give his position away, but then he knew some help was at hand and Langredoc was close by. Perhaps if he could distract the enemy from Langredoc, the warriors contribution would be move effective. It was foolhardy but the tactic had worked before and his defence had been tested before by multiple opponents.

"ALARM, AWAKE."

He drew his sword and waited conscious to keep shouting, drawing an enemy he nothing of nearer. he tried to distinguish them as they drew closer, perhaps the one ahead of the chasing pack was hunted, perhaps one of their own. Certainly he tried to distinguish what he was being attacked by.

Perhaps Dranl;en was being naeive, but at least an admonition for waking them up would be better than the opposite, and unless this attack was an illusion the clash of arms would soon announce that this would be real. It certainly seemed real enough.
Last edited by Dranlen on Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

"SHIT!" from aside followed by a loud "ALARM, AWAKE." from Dranlen's side did two things for Langredoc. It made him jump about a meter high and he became aware of the movement of a group creatures pursuing a ..... someone.

Reflexes took over for the first flicker, his weapons appeared in his hands while he made his body position itself for defence. While his stomach went back to its rightful position he quickly tried to determine the real situation.

Because Dranlen made so much noise he knew that the creatures would have noticed him... or them because he was close to the man as well. Not that it really mattered.

The weapons felt good in his hands while he counted. About ten creatures... armour.. heavy weaponry.. fast.. what meant that they where strong. A grin appeared on Langredocs face. The figure in front of the creatures was smaller.

If they would attack the campment which such a small group it would be suicide so he concluded that the person in front was being chased by the creatures and before he knew it the words left his mouth..when he shouted towards the fleeing person.

"THE WARRIOR STANDS !!! MOVE YOUR BUT OVERHERE !!"

He groaned inside when he realised that he had just given away the battle cry of the Red Warrior, the warrior stands. It was so logical the person would know that he was given protection by the red warrior, but not so smart when surrounded by ...... others.

Then he just shook his shoulders and hoped that the others would join in soon as well. While he prepared to attack if the person would not be able to make it to them. His longsword moved towards the sky to salute the enemy, while his short sword moved backwards in preparation.

Then he said calmly to Dranlen, "Prepare for battle" while he felt the tension in his body...maybe it was a good night to die.. Nah, not with those smelly creatures he concluded.
Last edited by Langredoc on Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote]I am the warrior of the raven, traveling from war to war feeding on the dead and the living alike. Until darkness fall's.[/quote]

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"What the..."

A cry tore through the darkness, coming from behind and to the side. Some of the other soldiers noticed the oncoming enemy? Good. "Saves me some work."

Brytan pulled out his weapons and readied himself under the cover of the trees. He whispered to Cryden; "Looks like the alarm is taken care of, let's provide some cover for the runner."
His mind was racing. The shout may have distracted attention away from the clump of trees, but their attention was most likely still fixed on their target. What he wouldn't give for a length of rope and some time to set up a proper trap. He had no means of attacking at range. "Something to learn, I guess." so Brytan bided his time, observing the incoming group closely for an opportunity to strike.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Dranlen

Post by Dranlen »

With Langredoc's battle cry ringing in his ears, he did not recognise it but it certainly wasn't one associated with Dominicus Draneln edged close to the seasoned warrior. The advantage he had sought for his companion was gone, the enemy would be upon them and if they stood together they would have a better chance.

He knew he need to allow the warrior enough space especially in the opening seconds, but they might need to fight back to back once they were surrounded.

As he moved closer he spoken, quietly but with no trace of nerves.

"I always found attack to be the best start to any battle, right left or just straight ahead."

He paused, he, like Langredoc thought the lead figure might be fleeing, but it could be a forlorn hope of sorts, but he had no idea what the other man thought.

"Is the one in the lead, friend or foe?"
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

The shout for alarm came from near where Brytan stood. While it was dark under the trees, darker than elsewhere. Figures were visible in the darkness, but it was obscured. Dranlen's shout had an immediate effect. Most of the back group changed their direction and rushed towards the trees. The forerunner still made its way towards the camp. Shadowed by a pair of larger creatures.

Camp was a mess. Shouts rose from the sleeping soldiers. Contradicting orders were issued. It was chaos. Sleepy eyed soldiers stared in confusion. Sergeants were shouting. Corporals were interpreting their orders. Flap of the King's tent flew open and light spilled out. Two pair of eyes fell upon him. The paladins that guarded his tent already had their swords drawn. They could not see what caused the alarm, but they were ready.

As they neared the trees, it became evident that the enemy was not human. They were simply too large to be so. Neither stood at less than seven feet tall, even though their shoulders were bent a bit. Nearer and nearer they came. Their armors glinted in moonlight. Each carried a weapon. Axes and curved swords all. A few had the shields. An arrow whizzed past Brytan's ear, striking one of the attacker into the left shoulder. It merely grunted, staggered for a step of two and picked up the pace.
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Dranlen

Post by Dranlen »

Clearly these creatures were not human, Dranlen was please they had managed to divert most of the group towards themselves initially and he hoped the camp would be ready to kill the other two. He jumped as the arros whistled past him, but realised that there were at least three of them and possibly four against six.

Time seems to stretch as he waited for the moment to attack, the creatures were well armed and clearly threw off blows easily. In the darkness he tried to see whether the wounded one had been discomforted by the arrow wound. Certainly closing in two closely would be lethal and yet he feared that the axes would be wielded as the swords judging by the size and demeanour of the attackers.

As he waited for langreod's response to concentrated on seeing what arms his first opponent or opponents would have wield against him.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Brytan glanced over his shoulder quickly to note Dranlen and Langredoc standing with him and Cryden in the patch of trees they had holed up in. "Good, some backup at least." The larger portion of the group was diverting to where they were, but the runner was still being chased. Their enemy was obviously fierce and Brytan had never before encountered such creatures. Their element of surprise used they had forsaken their edge against these numbers, but two of them were still occupied otherwise.

"Cryden, I'm going after those two."

It was impulsive, but Brytan always acted on impulse when the heat was on. His odds were far better in dark solitude and the patch of trees had become a hotzone for orc attention. As quickly and silently as he could he darted low out of the cover of the trees, away from the group approaching them, circling around to flank the two still trailing their target. Daggers at the ready, bent to strike swiftly. If he could at least take one of them down, the runner might be able to help with the last one.

He hoped...

"Dominicus, guide my blades."

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

"RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!" A mindless and bloodthirsty scream echoed in the night. Yellow lower canines flashed in the light as the creatures closed on the small copse of trees. One more arrow whizzed out, this time taking the lead attacker in the throat. Again it moved on. This time only for a couple more steps. It fell down with a dull thud, that went unnoticed as the others crashed through the trees and undergrowth.

Brytan was indeed noticed as one of the creatures gave chase. It panted loudly behind the human. It was tired. Just like the rest of them. Though the march was not easy, Brytan was faster and in mere burn would close the distance to the slower of the two creatures pursuing the smaller figure in the front. Their breaths whizzed in the dark, as ashes blew into the eyes of all five of them.

The trio in the trees found it a convenient cover. What little growth was left obscured them from the creature's sight and only Langredoc found himself under attack for now. A creature easily a foot taller than him leapt into the air a wicked looking curved sword held high in both hands. It came whistling down towards the Dortman's head, its notched blade covered in dark splotches. The tall man had merely a fraction of a flicker to respond.

Dranlen was in luck. Passed by both sides by the creatures, he had a clear line of sight to them. Confused they stopped and squinted into the dark trying to find some enemy. To his right another arrow pierced the air, its impact rewarded by a scream of rage. A hiss that followed was the sound of Cryden pulling his knife free ready to take on the attackers.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Brytan could feel the adrenalin surge through his veins. Speed being his ally and darkness his cover he felt like a hunter closing in on his prey. He could hear deep breaths behind him, the breathing of a tired pursuer.

"Good, they are tired."

Eyes focussed on the two in front, one slowing down as it seemed equally out of breath, Brytan knew that his attack had to be a good one. The dark obscured any clear openings in armor, and metal was never good to penetrate. The neck would be his best bet to get a clean one-shot-one-kill, so he focussed on the neck and upper back of the orc in front of him.

"If need be I'll stab him in the back first and use the dagger as leverage to pull up to his neck." His mind was racing with vicious thoughts, blood was what he envisioned and a wicked grin formed around his lips as he went for his mark. If his God favoured him this evening he could make up for the loss of one life by saving another.

"Eye for an Eye." He lept, not screaming or shouting, but silently and swiftly. Once his mark was within range he had but a flicker to take it down and these were sturdy opponents.

And there were two more...

Dranlen

Post by Dranlen »

Their confusion was a bonus and Dranlen was certain they would soon discover his location. Moving right his blade swung up and down towards the neck of his intended opponent seeking to slay one of them at least before the odds could count against them. He was aware of the fetid stench of the Orc's breath filling the air and hoped that there would soon be one less of the the evil creatures.

Stepping forward as he did so his movement added to the impetus of the blow and he hoped to turn, placing himself ready to defend himself against the orcs who posed him the greatest threat.
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

Life is all about intentions, and the the intention of the large creature with its wicked looking twohanded sword was pretty clear to Langredoc. What actually made life a lot easyer to him.

A fearless grin appeared automatical on his face while his longsword sword searched for sparkling contact with the enemies blade. Measuring the size of the enemy he just concluded that it would be stronger then him, so blocking would not be his favorite option and his reflexes beaten in to him by the old warrior and survival took over. This was a bear and cat situation, so he just moved down to the ground, granting the enemies sword the space it needed to move. He wanted to keep his own sword near the enemies weapon while he guided it towards the tree stump. If the creature would be stupid he would embed its weapon in the wood and otherwise ..... well it would grant him time to adjust to the creatures tactics..and then slash out with the short sword towards the wrists of the creature.

He could still hear the voice of the old grey warrior in his ears saying "Lad, I am sure of your ability to fight, its your ability to kill that I worry about.... Now repeat after me... "

A growl left Langredoc's mouth while he felt his muscles strained and he started to control his breathing. While the voice in his head went on.

"The strong protect those who can not protect themselves ..."

Sweat flowed over his face while exchanging blows with the creature, its strength and size a clear advantage.

"The sword of Fear, kill's you when it is in control, The shield of fearlessness shall kill you because your blind to danger"

Sparks lightened the darkness while the swords touched eachother.

"Skill shall always win over brute strength..."

Langredoc made sure that his feed where steady..

"The Red Warrior rewards those who take care of themselves...and others.."

He sure hoped that the creature would have less stamina then strength..while he moved again.

"The choice between death and duty is a simple one."

More drops of sweat followed a trail over his back..

"THE WARRIOR STANDS"

automatical he repeated the words again .... "THE WARRIOR STANDS !!" the short sword slashed out like a cats pawn..
[quote]I am the warrior of the raven, traveling from war to war feeding on the dead and the living alike. Until darkness fall's.[/quote]

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

The creatures had armor only on their fronts. Their back were bare and vulnerable. Orcs were not known for their defense, but rather for their attack. Not that anybody could say they were orcs in the rush of the night. Brytan caught up to his target in flickers. Dagger sunk into the flesh easily. The creature tried to turn to swat the human off, thus exposing the side of its neck. It glanced off, without doing any serious damage. Or rather that is what it looked like for a flicker.

A spray of blood gushed out, covering Brytan's face and upper torso. The now dead orc fell, continuing to spin around its axis, neatly jerking the dagger imbedded in its back fro its killer's hand. They both hit the ground. The only difference was that orc remained there limp, while Brytan rolled a couple of times before coming to a stop. The ground under him reverberated from the footfalls of the creature closing in.

Dranlen found his foe an easy target. It cut cleanly into the side of the creature's neck. Biting deep, it stuck in there, jerking itself from the warrior's grasp with a painful jolt to his wrist. The foe was down, but it let out a gurgle as it fell, blood filling its lungs rapidly. It was dead before it hit the ground. It did manage to warn its companion to the now unarmed Dranlen's presence. Without thinking the orc swung its axe towards Panling's head. It was not a pretty swing, and it was a bit high. It left Dranlen half a flicker to react and save his own life.

Langredoc was not very lucky. The ground around his and his opponent was bare. No tree stumps or anything. It was a good tactic however. Sparks flew as the curved blade slid down the longsword. The foe's face was visible. It was an orc. Foam at its mouth, blood shot eyes, breathing heavily. As the crude weapon hit the ground, short sword slid along the evil creature's wrist. There was not much blood and no way to judge the damage. Effect was instantaneous. Letting go of its sword, the orc lanced its left hand towards Langredoc's throat. Constricting with considerable force, it closed off the mercenary's air flow, while the right hand went back and then raced towards Langredoc's head. The orc needed no weapon to kill his opponent.

Cryden was busy as well. The foe he managed to shoot with an arrow, now fell upon him. It still had strength in it. An enormous looking axe it swung only added to the effect. With his knife, there was not much that Cryden could do, but dodge and leap out of the way. One time he tried to attack nearly cost him the arm. So, he just tried to stay alive hoping someone would come to his aid soon.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"Roll, grip, orient, attack."

Brytan rolled away from the limp corpse of his mark, coming to a stop a meter or two away, attempting to rebound to his feet as he had been taught, staying low, looking for the attacker he could hear trudging after him through the dark of nighttide. His face was sprayed with blood, though as far as he could tell it was not his own, no pain save for the jerk to his arm as he had to let go of one of his daggers which now protruded from the back of his first mortal strike.

Adrenalin surged through his mind still, Brytan did not have time to contemplate his actions as he only had flickers to respond to new threat. One of his foes was down for the count, another coming at him, a third still on the pursuit.

"Their backs are open for attack, good."

He stayed crouched down, eyes on his opponent. "Wait until you can see the whites in their eyes." Words resounded through his mind, recalling marks and marks of combat training. His opponent was big, tired and disoriented. Brytan was well rested, alert and ready to strike. He waited until the large foe started his attack on him, slowing down to strike, so Brytan could roll along and behind his mark on the upswing, turn and get up on the downswing and nail him between his ribs as his back was turned. His attacks required exact timing and precision, but he felt the eye of Dominicus upon him as he waited, waited those long flickers until his foe was close enough to start his own attack.
Last edited by Brytan on Sun May 07, 2006 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dranlen

Post by Dranlen »

Ducking down Dranlen rolled under the axe blade and sought the hilt of his sword. Stepping onto the dead orc he used his weight to to help free his own blade from the spine of the loathsmoe creature. The iron rich tang of blood rose from the corpse and subconsciously he realised he had killed his first foe. He needed to free his sword though lest he become a notch on someone else's. The size of the aze his opponent wielded meant that it was slower than his own blade but he would need to be careful using his shield. He wanted to glance about to seek his companions but knew he must concentrate on his own enemies first for without a weapon he had little hope.
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

Luck has nothing to do with losing.... Langredoc concluded while being aware that the sword of the creature dropped from the hand that now went for his throat. The grasp around his throat was tight enough to stop airflow and to bring him in a bad situation.

Then he became aware of the fist speeding towards his head. With a grimace on his face he slammed the short sword's blade into the arm pit of the creature, if it was not a one piece armour there would be a open space there. The other weapon would do nothing in this situation except.... when he would bash the hilt into the creatures face. And so he did... lets see how strong this bastard really was.

Today losing was not a option. Maybe tomorrow.

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Brytan might have succeeded if his opponent was human. Slowing down to attack was a human reaction. The orc was lost in the rage. He chased the girl through the night. He nearly got her. And now this tiny whelp dared stand in his way. Dropping his sword the creature launched itself at the human and impacted him head on. Into the roll they went once more landing with Brytan atop the orc, while the huge hairy beast clutched his throat. Vice like grip robbed him of the air supply in an instant.

Langredoc's plan worked perfectly. The short sword sunk in deep, emerging from the orcs chest only to be stopped by the armor. The hilt of the sword impacted on the orcs nose, making a sickening crunch as something was bound to be broken. But, that was about it. While the blow to the head was not perfect missing the ear by mere inches it still impacted hard. The grip on the mercenary's throat did not loosen and now the free hand crept along his face, the creature's filthy fingers seeking the human's eyes.

For Dranlen it was not looking good. The axe orc wielded was big and heavy, but so was the orc. It was a slow weapon, but not as slow as it would have been in the hands of someone smaller. The roll did give him several flickers in which to retrieve his sword. He managed to do that, albeit partially. Half a foot of steel remained lodged in the creature's spine as the tip broke off. He was armed once more, though he won't be doing much stabbing in the near future. Grunting something incomprehensible, the huge orc advanced once more, this time swinging the axe in a lower arc aimed at its foe's midsection.

Cryden was sorely pressed. Blood was flowing freely from his thigh and from a cut on his belly. He was still holding the orc at bay, but for him the battle would be lost soon. On the other hand, Laendral came to a stop. Turning, she pulled the bow back to her cheek. One last arrow left. Mother, make it count. Listening to her heartbeats, she concentrated on her breathing, making its rhythm match that of her heart. The arrow flew, catching the orc in the throat and dropping him in its tracks. Letting out a yelp of joy, she rose once more and pulling the knife at her belt ran towards Brytan and his foe.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

OOC: I'm going to assume the orc isn't wearing full arms and gauntlets of mail/plate, if that's wrong let me know and I'll correct.

"Gah, an orc?! By Dom..."

The impact of the creature took Brytan down again as he prepared his attack on the second orc, rolling with it as it grasped him in the fall he ended up getting choked by the massive hands of the beastly figure below him, holding him up.

"Ggg, must...breathe..."

The orc had no intention of letting go willingly it would appear, and Brytan was starting to feel lightheaded as the flow of oxygen to his brain was getting severed more and more with every passing flicker. He had to act, now!

He pulled back as much as possible, trying to get the orcs arms leveled. With a flick of his wrist he turned the dagger which was still left in his hand over, and with all the strength he could muster he rammed it down through the creatures forearms in an attempt to cut the tenders and relieve the pressure on his throat. Getting the orc to die was secondary at the moment, staying alive was far more important.

Dranlen

Post by Dranlen »

Broken! His sword broken in his first battle. His fathers gift, had killed one opponent, but clearly had not been as well made as he had believed. With little more than a couple of feet of sword left, and no longer able to use the point, his tactics would need revising. The axe blow that was threatened to cleave him in twain however was no idle threat, and judging by the power behind the blow his shield would be of little use against it. However the very nature of the blow would he hoped give him an opportunity.

Dranlen jumped back away from the blow with the intention of an immediate response. He aimed to land ready to lunge forward once the blade had passed and slice the arm as the orc spun from the violence of his own blow. Dranlen knew this would not be a killer blow but hoped that it would cripple the Orcs arm and allow him to retreat out of reach of the axe that would hopefully be less effective.
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

The sounds of fighting behind Langredoc almost distracted him, but the smell of the creature prevented it very nicely. His head started to explode because of the hold of the creature on his throat.

Being aware of the second hand moving towards his eyes the had to act quickly so released his longsword, to have at least one free hand. And with it he grabbed the creatures neck.

Then he pulled up a leg and placed it not so carefully in the place he hoped where the groin would be, just to be able to pull him and the short sword lose. A old soldier saying always said, a bleeding wound kills faster.....

He gurgled "Tgggg Warrior SStands"

So with all his strength he kicked....

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Dagger was meant to stab and thus it served Brytan perfectly. Not only did it loosen the grip of the creature, it also pinned it's arms together. It would not be without considerable pain that the creature could pull them apart. Then again, this would not be an orc if it let a little pain stop it from fighting. With an unholy scream it let go of the throat and pulled his hands apart. They flew to both sides, enabling a dagger to land into it's throat rather nicely. A woman crouched over it's head ending the creature's life with a savage jerk of her wrist.

The kill would come, Dranlen would learn with time. Fighting was all about patience and not getting hurt. Hurting the opponent when it was safe to do so. The orc missed by a mile. It was tired and angry. Dranlen's sword sliced neatly through the flesh on the creature's arm and scraped against the bone in a sickening screech. Luckily it did not get stuck for the second time. The orc let go of it's weapon and clutched the wounded arm, presenting a fine target for the human. For a flicker it was facing somewhere to the side, seemingly oblivious to anything but it's wound.

Langredoc had no way of knowing his opponent was already dead. The grip on his throat was only a reflex reaction of it's muscles. So were the searching motions over his face. Involuntary muscle spasm of a dying body. There was no resistance to the kick. The creature flew away to land on the back, though it's nails left a trail on human's throat. No sounds of battle came. Even Cryden stood over his foe, covered in blood, but alive. Hilt of the dagger was sticking out of the orc's eye. A lucky blow. Nothing more.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The effect of the dagger was surprisingly in tune with what Brytan had imagined. Dominicus did indeed seem to favor him tonight as he watched the strange woman quickly end the orc's life with a rapid strike to it's throat. She had appeared out of nowhere, or so it seemed, and it was hard to tell if she was another recruit assisting, or not.

"The enemy of the enemy is my friend."

"Nice one." The words came out rather coarse, as Brytan's throat had taken a good beating the past few tides, what with the smoke and fire and now the passing orcs. He looked around for further threat, not ready to assume they had fended off the attack entirely, he tried to see if the others were ok and if the orcs were dealt with. His daggers lost somewhere on the dark ground, sticking out of the remnant corpses of the two orcs (or parts thereof), he pulled them from the bodies and wiped them on his tabard as soon as he had determined the area was clear.

Still rubbing his throat he looked at the woman before him. Was this the one the orcs were chasing perhaps? "Are you ok?" His eyes still peeled for a possible attack he turned some of his focus to the woman. If she was indeed the one they had been chasing...

Dranlen

Post by Dranlen »

Opportunities such as this should not be missed and the hours of practice recognise that the orc would receive his death blow next. The wound had disarmed and distracted the Orc, but the scything slash to its neck would, he was certain end its life, and if not separate head from shoulders. Dranlens thews rippled as the horizontal blow ripped through the air with an intent to end the orc's life. He was still unsure though how many were left and was still wary that these Orcs seemed at the end of their stamina, they had been run a long race by their prey and were not putting up as much as a fight as he had feared. The problem was they might only be the scouts for a larger force, if so, he would need to find a better and longer weapon soon.
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

The kick pushed the creature away, ripping the skin of Langredocs throat while being forced to release it. Langredoc staggered back while clinging to his short sword. The weapon was covered in the creatures dark blood, just like the hand holding it.

Then he noticed that the eyes had broken, so with a quick scan of the surroundings he forced himself to pick up the dropped long sword and to be ready to help his fellows.

He felt the blood poor of his neck but, now was not the time to bother about it. Dranlin should be nearby so he turned to face a new enemy if needed. He became aware of Cryden, Brytan and someone else......

With a very hoarse voice he spoke towards Dranlen "Dranlen.... all ok ?"

Then he spat some blood on the ground that had collected in his mouth.

The warrior stands he thought, damned this is going to be no fun....

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

It was Dranlen who ended the combat. The orc never saw the blow coming. A sharp crack as the creature's spine was broken. The sword lodged in the bone again. Severing the head in one blow only happened in fairy tales. Once more the soldier was left weaponless as the already broken sword was jerked out of his hand once more. The orc fell to the ground with a dull thump and did not move.

No more orcs. Eight of the beasts lay dead. Two more were far away by now. Choosing to save their lives the cowardly pair was well on it's way towards the fire in the distance. A strong stench filled the air as dead orc's muscles loosened. It was over. Torches approached from the camp. Hundreds of them. Shouts pierced the night as the Sergeants shouted their orders. The army was slowly waking up and reacting.

Brytan found himself face to face with a girl. It was hard to judge her features under a layer of ash mixed with sweat. She was grey and wore no armor. Laendral managed to escape with only the bare essentials. A bow was slung over her back, while an empty quiver rested on her hip. Of other weapons she had only the knife she used to kill the orc. Ragged clothes revealed quite a bit, but she was pretty decent and in a pretty good shape considering all. "I'm fine. Who are you? And who are all those people?"

Return to “T'aquar Archive”