Waking Up [Entrance Thread for Drinyr Karet'lorin]

Moderator: Mods

Drinyr Karet'lorin

Post by Drinyr Karet'lorin »

The girl's awe diminishes a little as she flushes a particularly bright shade of red at the correction. Nevertheless, she raises her chin with a hint of defiance. "I know who I mean, my lord," she replies with stiff pride. "K'tan is Protector and Wise One and Father also." At least, most people back home referred to K'tan as the father almost as often as anything else.

But then she shifts her feet almost bashfully, conceding hesitantly, "Though I know the Heavenly Father is also called the Father, and I am sorry if I confused, my Lord."

She is silent for a moment before she continues quietly. "I would serve K'tan however He wishes me to serve..." She smiles hopefully. "Though I would like to be His paladin."
Last edited by Drinyr Karet'lorin on Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The elderly elf smiled, although the smile did not seem to actually reach his eyes.

"My child, I am not you Lord, merely a tool for him, and although many refer to K'tan as the father, there is only one Father, as there is only one Mother, although most gods are an aspect of one or the other."

His eyeslids slowly slid closed before opening again suddenly. "So another Paladin do we have. Tell me young one, what do you believe sets a paladin apart from any other two bit warrior?"
Drinyr Karet'lorin

Drinyr bowed her head, biting her lip slightly as she accepted the rebuke. She had not missed the way he had smiled and was mortified that she might have offended him. "I apologise for my presumption, m'..." She stopped herself before she said 'my lord' again, blushing. "I am young and have much to learn."

At his question, she looked up again, silent as she considered his words. "The ordinary warrior fights for mortal gains, whether that is for gold, or for home and heart, or for nation, or for honour. He may fight for good or evil, but usually, the purpose he serves is his own.

"The paladin, on the other hand, dedicates her life and soul beyond the mortal world, to the causes of the divine. She serves a deity through her belief, her trust, her words, her actions and her blade. Where the god wills, is where the paladin goes, and what He wills is what the paladin does. She is...an extension of His purpose on Tazlure, if that is the right word--and glad to be so, and she fights in His honour against those who would be His enemies, and spreads the wonder of His name."
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The older elf nodded his head again, but this time the look of agreement reached his eyes as well. "An excellent answer young one, nad clearly one carefully thought through.

"So, knowing what you expect a paladin to be, what do you believe the Isle has to offer you?" The older elf had cocked his head slightly to one side and was offering Drinyr a quizzical look as if trying to evaluate her potential.
Drinyr Karet'lorin

Drinyr gazed back at the older elf with solemn blue eyes. "Currently, my knowledge is lacking. In every respect and particularly, as you have shown me already today, the basic mysteries of K'tan." The elf girl smiled ruefully before she continued.

"I believe that I will be able to remedy at least some of this on the Isle so that I may be better prepared to serve the Protector."
Last edited by Drinyr Karet'lorin on Wed May 07, 2003 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The older elf nodded his head before continuing. "It is good to met one who does not profess to know the mysteries of the gods. Too many believe they hold the knowledge they seek already.

"But, the Isle and those who reside here are only the conduits to what you seek. Much of what you need is within you already. Go now and seek your future."

And as the old elf spoke the mountain seemed to dissolve under Drinyr, the last thing she seemed to remember was the elder speaking, seemingly directly to her mind. Remember this place, and where you found me. You can always find me here if you need my help.

Suddenly the young elf found herself submerged in cool water, and struggling for breath.
Drinyr Karet'lorin

Drinyr bowed her head and murmured a soft, heartfelt, "Thank you." Then the world faded beneath her feet and the water enclosed her once more. Fear lashed her again, not as strong as that first encounter with Vargaz, but suffocating all the same. Struggling towards the light and swallowing plenty of water in the process, she broke the surface, choking for breath.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As Drinyr swallowed a mouthfull of water she suddenly realised it was fresh water not salt water. As she broke the surface of the water, her next realisation was that she was standing in about 4 feet of water, in actual fact she was in the pool on the Oracles Isle.

Standing watch was the old lady she had met earlier, surveying her as if she had only entered the water the minutes earlier, rather than the extended time Drinyr had experienced herself.
Drinyr Karet'lorin

The elf's panic subsided rather quickly when she realised that she was back in the pool. Though she did spend the next few minutes shivering and coughing out water, waiting for her rapid pulse to subside and her breathing to return to normal. She dashed the water from her eyes with the back of her hand and ran long fingers through her hair, squeezing out the worst of the wet.

It took her a good moment to realise that the old woman was still there watching her, and Drinyr felt a sudden flash of vertigo. It was almost like a dream. But it had been so real... She'd spoken with K'tan! Well...not K'tan, but his mouthpiece...? But it was Him anyway, wasn't it? But from the confusion, elation welled up into a rare, unguarded grin as the elf waded slowly back towards the edge of the pool and clambered out, dripping like a half-drowned rat..

"I...I am going to be a paladin to K'tan," Drinyr breathed, half to the old woman, half to herself in wonder.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The old womans reply to Drinyrs announcement was a raised eyebrow and a dry "Really." Before a gentle chuckle escaped her old parched lips.

"Well child even paladins must eat, and I would hazard a guess that you're quite hungry about now.

"Come cloth yourself and we will have something to eat before I take you to K'tans temple. I assume that is where you wish to attend?"
Drinyr Karet'lorin

Drinyr was too excited to take offence at the gentle teasing and beamed back with a vigorous nod. "Oh yes, Lady, I do want to go to K'tan's temple." She hesitated as she considered passing over the food so she could see the temple straight away, but her stomach disagreed with a conspicuous gurgle.

"And I am a little hungry," she confessed as she reached down and dragged on her breeches. "Food would be lovely, thank you, Lady." She made a slight face at the unpleasant sensation of the material against her wet skin. The elf squeezed her long hair out again before she put on her shirt, so her clothes weren't totally drenched, but damp patches rapidly spread through the fabric. The only thing remaining were her boots, and those she donned quickly before swinging her pack up onto her shoulder.

As she padded over to the old woman, a thought occurred to Drinyr and she frowned a little before asking curiously, "If I may ask, Lady, what is that pool? Was the place I went to real?"
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The old woman watched as Drinyr clothed herself and walked over, content to allow the honourific of Lady for the present.

At the young elfs question, a playful looked crossed her acient visage.

"One question at a time child. This pool is the Oracle, those who are chosen are able to tap into some of its mystical presence and experience, somerthing.

"As for whether your experience was real, only you can determine that. What is reality and what is fantasy. Are we await, or in an elaborate dream?

"For myself I think there are multiple realities, and maybe you just visited another one. Come let us eat," and with a swift turn belying her undoubted age, the old lady led Drinyr towards a small door to the side of the pool.
Drinyr Karet'lorin

Mulling over the old woman's reply, Drinyr followed her almost absently. So the mysterious Oracle was a...pool. But where did its power come from? She shifted her bag across her shoulder. She also found the concept of multiple realities mindboggling. She derived much fascination from physical sensation, the simple pleasures of the world, and the thought that it could all just be a dream was...gah. Her head was beginning to spin.

Better just to think about food.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As the old lady led Drinyr through the small door, the young elf suddenly found herself confronted by a riotous array of colour and smells, as shwe surveyed sveral tavels laden with a variety of fruits, nuts, breads and juices. Several empty plates were in evidence, as well as several assorted chairs scattered around the medium sized room.

"Help yourself my dear, I'm sure there is something to your liking here, I do believe cook has catered for every possibility of the seven Isles, " and the old lady shook her acient head smiling at the array of food before them.
Drinyr Karet'lorin

(OOC: Sorry about the late reply...had a lot of schoolwork recently and been feeling rather creatively dead)

Drinyr's eyes widened at the sight of the food, her stomach murmuring again with appreciation. She inhaled deeply the delicious scents as an expression of delight transformed her face.

"It looks wonderful," the young elf murmured, smiling. "Your cook must have been quite busy, preparing this meal." She moved toward the table and picked up a plate, then looked back at the old lady. "Could I get you anything?"
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

A look of mild surprise crossed the old ladies wizened features, in all her time on the Isle, very few offered her food at this stage.

Through a gently smiling face she replied, "Some of the red apple there," and she pointed to some sliced apple, 'some of the soft chees and a glass of water would be wonderful.

"Thank you child, your consideration is most appreciated.

"I know as an elf, the servie of K'Tan is not unusal, do you come Kislovan, or do you follow him for some other reason?"
Last edited by rhoddin on Wed May 21, 2003 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drinyr Karet'lorin

Balancing the plate comfortably on her left hand, Drinyr selected the fruit and cheese with care, avoiding blemished pieces. Then, having filled a glass with water, she returned to the old woman and offered her the place and cup. "You are welcome, Lady," she replied with a smile.

Upon hearing the question, she raised her head. "I was born and raised on Kislovan," the young elf confirmed with pride. "Near Cerleanne." She smiled again. "And yes, I suppose you could say that I was also raised to honour K'tan first of the other gods."
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The old Lady nodded her head gently, whilst surveying the young elf before her. "Do you know much of the history of your Isle, and of K'tans struggles over time?

"It is a unique past that most of the elves of Kislovan share."
Drinyr Karet'lorin

With the plate and cup still resting in her hands, Drinyr tilted her head slightly. "I know some, Lady," she answered carefully before she added with a hint of self-deprecating humour, "Though I imagine it is not half as much as I thought I knew before I stepped into the pool." She smiled. "There's always so much more to learn and so much wonder to experience."

The young elf fell silent for a moment, considering her encounter with K'tan and the thankfully brief one with Vargaz. "All my life, I had been told of K'tan's struggle against the sea, against Vargaz..." The god also of the chaotic mass that was humanity. A frown wrinkled her forehead. "And I had feared the ocean too. We elves of Kislovan are people of the earth, not the sea. But I never realised how...powerful that struggle is, and how wild and cruel the enemy is." A shiver ran through the girl, part fear and part adrenaline and large part awe. It was this that she would battle against for her god.

"I'm sorry, I ramble." Intense blue eyes rose to look at the old woman before her who seemed to radiate such wisdom and power from her aged body. It was strange that she seemed human. "You must have seen many like me, Lady, who have come to the Isle seeking to serve the gods."
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

A gentle smile crossed the old womans face as Drinyr described her reply as rambling. "My child, after so many years on the Isle, the idea that you ramble is quite laughable. You will find many well praqcticed ramblers in this place, but I digress.

"I am more interested in your understanding of the relationship between the elves of Kislovan and the outside world. Those I have met from the Isle have a different view of the outside world than many others.

"For instance, what do you think of men, or dwarves? As a paladin for K'Tan you will come across many different races. What did your parents and forefathers tell you of the outside world?" Her keen eyes watched Drinyr carefully looking for her reaction to the rather pointed question she had been posed.
Drinyr Karet'lorin

OOC: *gives up on studying for the night*

Drinyr inclined her head in a slow nod as the old woman clarified her question, her manner withdrawing a little, blue eyes cooling. "If I may...?" The elf set the food down on a side table before she straightened, slender fingers linking in front of her as she considered her next words.

"Forgive me if I misinterpret your words, but the way you say 'outside world' seems to suggest that we Kislovan Elves live in a world of our own like the kingdom of Tel'Aranae'Quessir which is almost entirely Elven." A large majority of her kin would undoubtedly like to live in a place with a similar population to that faraway kingdom in the West, but alas, it's not quite polite to say so. "I have not had the...pleasure of venturing beyond Kislovan before coming to this Isle, but we do live amongst other races at home."

She pursed her lips slightly. "Perhaps the race that I have had most contact with other than my own, is that of humankind. They are...different to us. Aside from their tendency to be somewhat...coarse in their mannerisms--and I do realise that they are a young race and can learn in this respect--they are...short-sighted. We Cala'Quessir are a people of long memories, though it might be more correct to say that the other races have short ones due to the brevity of their lives. They forget so quickly the mistakes they and their forefathers make in the past and in general cannot see beyond their own short lifespans if they can see so far at all. And they live accordingly.

"So rarely do they stop to consider the longterm consequences of their actions. It is the profit in the here and the now that they keep their eyes on, for example, they may set down their houses right beside the river so it is more convenient to retrieve water or cut down the trees by the bank because it is then less work to float them down to the town to sell the wood. They do not realise that their own waste soils the water that others depend on, animals and people alike, that there are fish who depend on the shelter of the roots that will now be washed away with the bank as heavy rains come and the trees are no longer there to hold it together. Nor do they care so long as there is profit to be made."

The young elf's frown deepens. "Perhaps it is this same lack of thought, this short-sightedness and this uncaring increased to a terrible extent that led Malagath to murder his own father for the sake of power. Charlesmagnes fell for what? For one human's pride."
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The older woman nodded her head. "It is true child, humans are impulsive, and they do tend to be short sighted, but have you considered the converse of this?

"They are able to make decisions quickly. They are decisive, even if sometimes wrong, they are able to act quickly. As you well know, for the elven council to decide may take months for what humans can decide in a day, or even an hour.

"Your first lesson, look at all the strengths and weaknesses of any given situation, not just the point of view you may be comfortable with, or wish to be true." The old lady indicated Drinyrs food, motioning her to continue her eating.
Drinyr Karet'lorin

(OOC: No more exams! Should be able to post more regularly now :))

The elf considered the old woman's words almost reluctantly before she nodded again. "Thank you, Lady," she murmured, though it was clear from the doubt in her eyes that seventy odd years of racial prejudice was unlikely to be mollified so quickly.

She turned back to the table and picked up a plate which she began to heap with food. There was a mild conflict between her desire to eat quickly so she could see K'tan's temple and her eagerness to taste the delights prepared by the cook.

Common sense won out. The temple was not going to disappear. Food, however, was more transient and someone had obviously put a lot of effort into preparing the feast.

Drinyr took a little bit of almost everything. Varied as the morsels were, she managed to maintain order on her plate with quite an attractive arrangement. Wedges of fruit (prettily colour coordinated) clustered petal-like around slices of breads with nuts garnishing the edges.

Once she had poured herself a glass of apple juice, it was all set. The elf took her time savouring the myriad of delights in Seven Isles' cuisine, the day's hunger only serving to heighten the sensations and her enjoyment of the meal was plain.

"That was the most wonderful meal I have ever tasted," she said, when her hunger was satiated and taste buds saturated and not a crumb left on the plate.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The old lady nodded her head at Drinyrs response, it was at least a start, even if it was a strained one. She continued to watch as the young elf arranged and ate her food, not eating herself, but drinking some water as she waited.

Once Drinyr had finished, and offered her thanks, the older woman rose from her seat, and indicated for the young elf to do likewise.

Opening a door at the opposite side to where they had entered, she ushered Drinyr out of the room, and onto a path the appeared to be made of crushed quartz, or some other whitish rock, walking with a firm, but measured step, she set out towards a low bridge, and a cluster of divergent buildings beyond the bridge, rather than following the path along their current side of the river.
Drinyr Karet'lorin

Pushing her chair back, Drinyr stood and followed the old woman out of the room. She walked lightly, the path crunching quietly beneath her feet, and surveyed her surroundings with bright eyes.

Return to “Oracle's Isle archives (old)”