Preparing for the Festival - Valley Village - Samheen 27th

Moderator: Mods

Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Preparing for the Festival - Valley Village - Samheen 27th

Post by Brytan »

Samheen 27th - Morningtide

The sun rose sooner. Or did it only seem to have done so this day? No, for the past few days, ever since the tremors started, the days seemed to come faster and end later, lengthening themselves as the tides progressed. The tremors which have been disturbing day to day life on the island had also increased in intensity this morning, as a particularly nasty one shook the tent posts.

Events had been passing each other in rapid succession. Ever since the Akanthan, Analor Goldenback summoned for the Eyes, having arrived through Ursa's Heart late tradetide of the previous day, there had been turmoil among the elders. Until late gravetide they debated and argued, the Kanthan and the Shaman pondering the meaning of the odd events taking place around them. Tides had been spent around the fires in Valley Village by the town's inhabitants aswell, trying to work out a reason behind the tremors that shook the island now and then, but always present as a distant shiver in the ground these days.

The day of the start of the rituals. For a long time have you been looking forward to this day. The day your Kanthan declares you fit for your final trials, the trials of Awakening. You never imagined the day to start like this though, as another tremor rumbles through the village, disturbing your already restless sleep.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Niamh Windwalker
Civus

Post by Niamh Windwalker »

A restless night and the flailings accompanied by unsettling dreams woke Niamh just before dawn, her blanket twisted roughly about her slender limbs. It was an abrupt awakening, one moment she lay in semi-peaceful slumber, her eyes well-shuttered against the glimmerings of dawn.

The next, she flung herself from the low-lying cot, the blanket hampering her frantic motion, one tangled corner wrapped about her neck. Despite eyes still bleary with sleep, her long, slightly knobby hands grabbed at her assailant, ripped it free and flung it to the floor with a hell-bent screech, "Kee-ya!" Her heart pounded, an odd-tempoed flutter that pulsed blood quickly through her veins, aiding sleep's departure as she blinked, suspiciously, at the offending item curled up on the floor. A few flickers later, realization dawned ... followed moments later by a quickly stifled peal of laughter. <i>That better not have woken anyone else... or I'll never hear the end...</i> Her dark eyes, the blacks of her pupils rimmed with the pale yellow of her eventual shape, cast a thoughtful look at the door - and she listened, head cocked, sensitive ears focused on the sounds beyond her four walls.

Whatever images had disturbed her sleep were fading swiftly as she pulled on her sandals, the thin leather straps fitting neatly between the tan lines as she laced them securely up her ankle. As she rose, the ground lurched, it's undulations flinging her across her tent. Closing her lips around a screech of fright, she dropped to a crouch, the poles and slender logs of her home rattling together, despite the cured leather stretched firmly along it's outside. A deep rumble echoed up through the earth, stretching up through her toes and making her very bones vibrate.

Once things quieted down, she bolted beyond her leather door-flap, flinging it to one side as she perched just past the doorway, her eyes scanning for other's reactions to an increasingly unsettling occurence. <i>Too much talk, close around the fires... tired old folk who think they've seen everything...</i> Niamh felt an idea spark in her mind, and her eyes flicked to the other initiates spaces, wondering if the they could be cajoled into joining her on an exploratory venture. <i>The rituals begin soon, but perhaps there's time enough in between...</i>

Post by Guest »

Ardal hadn't been sleeping well lately. He usually slept rather fitfully, but the recent happenings on the island managed to disturb him even in his normally peaceful sleep. It was a good thing that he lived alone; his increasingly frequent nighttime pacing did not bother anyone.

A violent tremor served as a nasty wake up call for Ardal, and probably a few others, that morning. As the quake began, his eyes shot open and he bolted to a sitting position. It was fortunate that he slept on the floor, as that particular tremor might have shaken him right out of a bed.

"By the Silver Fox's tail!" Ardal growled as the quake began to die down. When the ground stilled, the young kanthrop tossed the blanket from his body and stood up.

Why this morning of all mornings?

Ardal ran a hand through his messy hair as he looked around the tent for his comb. He didn't use it that often, but that day was a special day. After finding it, he fixed his hair and dressed himself in a green kanthar, a brown shirt, and a pair of sandals before pushing back the flap of his tent and stepping outside.

Ardal scratched his chin as he surveyed the village. It was early, but there would undoubtedly be a flurry of activity soon after that tremor. He caught a glimpse of another kit coming out of her own tent. He recognized her as Niamh, that older kit who was always playing pranks on people. Ardal wasn't feeling particularly sociable that morning, but he thought that it would be rude not to acknowledge her. He waved at Niamh without much enthusiasm.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eidolon Myrlin

Post by Eidolon Myrlin »

"Wotcha!" The cry was soft, but still came out of the blue, ringing in the air somewhere in front of Niamh's tent, right beneath the overturned tent flap. Someone's hands fumbled around the heavy sheet of leather that had landed in their owner's face - in a few flickers they grabbed hold of one side of the soft "door" and pushed it away. A narrow face appeared, a mop of untidy, sandy hair falling into the Kanthrop's eyes, narrowed with fury. However, even though Eidolon - for it was him - was evidently quite angry, his round eyes calmed down the vicious stare and gave the kit an ever-present look of surprise.

"Niamh, Niamh," he scolded, teasing her a little. All anger had seeped out of him barely two flickers after it had blazed up. Eidolon wasn't one to hold grudges; he fired up often but calmed down in a few burns, even flickers. Why, afterwards he was even surprised to find his friends or companions still seething with fury!

"Did the trembling knock you out of bed?" he asked, raising his eyebrows. The morning light fell on the dark rings beneath his eyes. As if suddenly conscious of their visibility, the youngster placed one hand over the bridge of his nose, hiding his cheeks from view. It wouldn't do for him to admit he hadn't slept a wink that night. Kanthrops are calm by nature, but when one's unlucky enough to have a weak stomach, no inner equilibrium can help.

He followed Niamh's gaze, scanning the little village. Ardal was standing in front of a nearby tent, his hand raised in a half-hearted greeting. Eidolon had no idea if the gesture was directed at him, but waved back none the less, a big grin spreading over his face. He fingered the flute around his neck and blew a few odd notes, shrill enough to wake up a sleeping elephant.
Niamh Windwalker
Civus

"Eido... Eido..." she scolded back with her musical voice, amused, her initial discomfiture at the quake ebbing away as her desire to appear self-possessed returned. A hand lifted to ruffle her own short locks, thick and svelte about her ears, though a few of the strands to the back were flattened and disarranged by sleep. "That's what you get for sneaking up on an innocent kit..." There was an impish twist to her hawkish features, the high cant of her cheekbones casting a mischevious glint to her expression.

Catching sight of Ardal, she let fly a greeting flap of a hand, taking the other's half-hearted gesture as a result sleepiness. Still, she couldn't help but snicker an aside to Eidolon, a hand wafting a non-commital wave of invitation to the other kit as she picked her way a little down the path to the central cook-fire. "Look ... Ardal's already up, every hair in place, not a layer of cloth misfolded..." Niamh didn't bother with such perfection this early in the morning, it was too much to ask before one was even properly fed! Perhaps this contributed to the slightly askew wrapping of her Kanthar, an otherwise respectable pale purple cloth, with a few artistically died dapples of greens and blues. "Knock me out, well, at that I suppose it flung me more than anything!" Her dark eyes twinkled merrily, unease forgotten now that the ground had stilled and the sun glimmered briskly down from the heavens.

Her distracted manner didn't necessarily decrease her eyes note of details, so the depths of darkness smudging below Eidolon's eyes were quickly observed. A playful whack of a hand slapped his upper arm, "don't tell me you're worried about the Rites? Or is it guilt robbing your rest?" Though she had never been troubled overmuch by guilt, she had a healthy acknowledgement that some were a bit more conscientious than herself.

"Ho, Ardal the prompt! Ready for the Rites I see!" The rich tones of her irreverant greeting rolled up easily to the (in her opinion) slightly hide-bound kit. It reminded her suddenly of an excursion a few weeks previous, which in turn, reminded her of her idea. Thoughts momentarily occupied by what ways she might induce the others on a foray into the mountains, she kicked aside some debris from about the ring of stones that encircled the cooking fire. A long slender stick lay nearby, it's end singed and blackened. Scooping up the item, she prodded the layer of dust and ash to see if any embers remained from the previous evening.

"So who's cooking this morning?" She eyed the wooden water pails and the thick black cooking pot with slightly pensive curiosity... yesterday she'd made breakfast... when she had awoken before all her companions... she'd even added a few choice 'delectables'. Of course, at least one kit had upended the revolting contents <i>on</i> her, but it had been a good laugh anyhow...

If Eidolon had followed her down closely, she murmured so softly she hoped Ardal would miss it... "Say, Eido... you have any of those pinecones we found yesterday... those ones full of sap?"
Catherine Durenne

Post by Catherine Durenne »

As was her custom Catherine had woken before the first rays of sunshine touched the tents. The solitary kit had spent those first few hours of the day training her reflexes. She revelled in the dance of movements that had such deadly potential.

She approached the others from the treelines, her movement showing the subtle grace of a predator. "Good morning," she spoke softly. None of them could remember that Catherine's voice had ever risen above the level of a normal conversation. As a matter of fact, a decrease in volume could be a very dangerous thing indeed...

"This is going to get interesting. A day of change," thinking back to the tremors she added, "I sure hope not too much of a change..."
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Activity around the village definately increased after the last tremor. All around, the recently roused kit could see tent flaps and curtains drawn back and tossed open to reveal their fellow tribesmen and women, alert and wary. The cooking fire in the middle of the town was still empty as Niamh and Eidolon approached it, with Ardal at a modest distance near his own tent. Soon however other people approached the fireplace and set about making some breakfast for themselves.

Niamh noticed Allaeya going off in the direction of Paw Lake. Most likely to get water for her family. Trehu, the "grumpy old man" as the kit called him, seemed to stumble out of his tent a bit precariously, holding himself erect with his handcarved cane, snarling viciously at anyone who attempted to smirk at his clumsyness. The remnants of his left leg hidden in leather wrappings as always.

As Niamh and Eidolon started plotting their pinecone scheme, they heard a scuffle behind them, followed by an upbeat "Good morningtide young ones, slept well have you?" Kaila passed them, carrying a basket of fruits and some bread, looking at them with the tell tale look that she was keeping her eye on the two rascals. Kaila was a kind woman, eyes of a hawk and capable of staring right into the souls of men, or so the men in the village claimed. It had been a right many times when she had been the one to point out the dramatic error in the ways of Niamh and Eidolon, or the error in their plans so they could adjust them. She winked and carried on with preparing some breakfast at the fire along with a few others.

Ardal
watched from a modest distance still as he was beckoned to join the others at the fireplace, where someone had just started a modest fire. He could clearly watch Catherine as she approached the village from the treeline to the northeast, although it was hard to make out what she was saying, she was never one to speak up.

Some tents remained closed still, even as another tremor shot through the island, and diminished to the same constant shiver they had felt seething in the soil for several days now. The sun rose over the Skymyst mountains, modest cloudcover shielding the villagers from it's still not too powerfull rays. "Today will be a nice day for the rites, young ones." Kaila spoke. "Have Oni and Petran spent any time preparing you for them? The council has been very disturbed by the tremors. I hope they won't forget about the festival in all the commotion." Several other women around the fire were eager to fall in with this sympathy, and quickly the talk was all about the endless debates the council had held in the cabin of their Akanthan, of the rituals performed in Harmony Circle and how it would be a Mother's honest shame if the Kanthans forgot about their pupils.
Last edited by Brytan on Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

Ardal heard Niamh murmering something to Eidelon, but he didn't pay it much mind. He could conceivably have been able to discern what Niamh was saying had he made any attempt to listen, but he was distracted with other thoughts.

They are probably up to something again. Just as long as they leave me out of it.

Ardal wasn't wholly unappreciative of the pranks perpetrated by Niamh and Eidelon. In fact, they could sometimes be funny. Ardal didn't lack a sense of humor, he just preferred not to end up at the wrong end of one of their pranks.

As his fellow kanthrops began to congregate around the fireplace, Ardal looked up at the sky and sniffed the air. It seemed to be a nice enough day, aside from the quakes. He stood mesmerised for a moment or two as he stared up at the deep blue sky and the clouds therein. He had always loved to look at the sky. Ardal's enchantment was disupted by the sounds of a fie getting underway. He was beckoned to join the group, and he did not resist. He was quite ready for breakfast. As he made his way over to the fireplace, he spotted Catherine approaching from the northeast. Ardal thought about her more often than he did his other peers. Her tacit nature and the fact that she was years older than the other kits fascinated him.

Ardal sat himself down by the fire just before the next tremor began. He shook his head to himself as he wondered what could be causing it. The young kanthrop waited for breakfast, but he turned his attention to Kaila as he did.

It seems to me that these tremors should make the council pay even more attention to us. If there is trouble, they will need all the help they can get.
Eidolon Myrlin

Post by Eidolon Myrlin »

"Sneaking up on an innocent kit?" Eidolon yawned, pretending to be casual, yet still keeping an eye on Niamh to catch her response. He had no idea why he had been sitting outside her tent. The whole night spent wandering around, trying to sleep and desperately chewing grass stalks had left Eidolon somewhat tired and, all in all, completely unprepared for today's Rites. For a few burns, he had even forgotten about them - he wouldn't have found it surprising if the Kanthans really had let them escape their thoughts.

Rubbing his eyes and breathing deeply the early morning air, Eidolon followed Niamh to the fire. His kanthar was hanging limply on his frame, the ends moist from being dragged in the dew. With a small groan, Eidolon scooped the loose ends of the cloth up and tucked them behind his woven leather belt. He wore a pair of leggins underneath, and walked barefoot. He always found it calming to drag his feet through the grass early in the morning, the coolness seeping through his skin, the silky, fresh ground staying wet for the precious few burns before it went dust-dry underneath the Etherial Isle's sun.

"Me, guilty?" Niamh's suggestion awakened him. "You wish, sister! And I'm not worried about the Rites either, by the way," he added both to his friend and to Kaila, who had appeared behind them. It was almost scary the way she turned up whenever either of them thought of a new prank. "I wouldn't be surprised if we first had to take care of these odd shakes and tremors and then go through the changing." He closed his eyes, imagining a few reasons as to the cause of the earthquake. Then he cleared his throat and, hoping no one would notice, nodded to Niamh. The mentioned pinecones were too beautiful to leave alone. Originally, Eidolon had thought of chucking them into the some poor kit's fire (they made wonderful noise and produced an evil, tar-black smoke), but maybe Niamh had something better in mind. He hadn't changed since yesterday, so the cones were probably still somewhere in his kanthar. As inconspicuously as he could, he began to sift through the soft fabric of his clothes.

"I know what's the cause of these tremors," he said, rising his voice so that everyone could hear him. The fire had already been lit, and it cackled and burned at his feet. "A long time ago, when Ursa Etheria was molded by the Mother and brought to its standstill position above the rest of the world, it was magicked. Ordinary winds and gales, strong so far up in the air, weren't to affect it until a certain time in the distant future. Now that time has approached, so the island is shaking off the binding spells and getting ready to move somewhere different."

Eidolon enjoyed his idea. He had voiced it the moment it touched his mind, but now that he thought about it a little, he thought it was kind of probable. However, he still chanced a secret look around to see if a Kanthan hadn't heard him by accident. He hoped not. Not only was it wholly inappropriate to spread rumours, but - most importantly - Eidolon had never heard any mention of "binding spells" during the long evening tides spent around the fire.

His hand closed around a tightly tied pack of cones and he swiftly untied them and handed them to Niamh behind his back.

Post by Guest »

Culwago had had a troubled night, he rarely slept prefering to wander alone about in the twilight, worrying birds and improving his skills. And yet the last night had troubled him. The earth was worried, it shook violently in fear Culwago assumed. This was a bad omen he was sure of it, the shaman naturally was too busy to speak to him now so his ideas were kept to himself as ever. But his dreaming had been troubled as of late, his nights were more tumultuous and he felt uneasy.

The great black panther had been visiting him time and again, he was unsure of what it meant, he knew his time to prove himself was dawning. While younger than some of his fellow kits he was strong and agile so he thought and made up for in brains what his personality lacked. And he had a certain drive to him, a restless desire to get out of Ursa, to leave the shackles of Kanthrop life and he wondered if all the rumblings would give him the chance. Was life to change he wondered.

Still the ebon black man, large and lithe exited his tent and immediately spotted those about his own age. They were his companions sometimes in mirth and sometimes in mischief, while he let very few known his real self they were likely as close as anyone would get. He pursed his lips for a moment, normally he would go and lounge in the sun, by himself thinking. But fear had welled in his breast and he found himself draw to the company. He found a free spot by the fire and lay on the stomach. His face rested upon folded arms and he looked at the others, after eyeing each one up and he spoke to no-one in particular, "I feel the wind changing, today shows good portents for the test." His lazy gaze took all of them in, as he seemed about ready to resume his catnap.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine Durenne

"Somehow I don't think that innocent quite cuts it," the woman smiled and nodded a welcome to Kaila, "Oni and Petran have spent some time in preparing us, Kaila." She left unsaid that they could have spent a little more time on it, hoping the tone of her voice would imply as much. It was all that she had to contribute to the conversation for now. It lay within her nature to observe those around her and determine their strengths and weaknesses from their behaviour.

A small smile played around her lips as her eyes went over the other kits. All of them she had known her entire life. Her memories of their first years might be a little bit better then their own, seeing that she was already a few years older when most of the others had arrived. There were some very funny anecdotes to be told about the childhood of some of the others. But, truth be told, there were also a few of those about her own...

Pulling out of the irrelevant train of thoughts she focussed back on the events of the day. "The rites... I wonder... How will it be?" Not willing to dwell on that thought to not lose her nerve she focussed on more practical matters. "So who's going to prepare breakfast?"
Niamh Windwalker
Civus

“As you say, Mother Kaila...” Niamh’s eyes glittered with amusement in response to the elder Kanthar’s wink, a playful grin curling beneath hawkish features. “Though I can’t say much, but that I’m starving for a bite of that succulent stuff you might be making?” Her tone emerged more wistfully, accompanied by slightly widened eyes and punctuated by a well-timed belly-grumble. Early on, the kit had discovered Kaila had no nonsense for excuses and whining, so she was careful that neither were hinted at in her tone.

Catherine’s arrival went purposefully unnoted at first, though it may have seemed that Niamh simply hadn’t heard the soft words as she listened to the absent chatter around her, flicking bits of crumbled wood into the dancing orange flames. <i>Gives herself airs, she does.</i> The two had always been civil, being nearly of an age to each other, yet Catherine’s temperament always seemed to rub Niamh the wrong way. <i>Always so quiet and superior.</i> A flicked bit of wood missed the fire and vanished in Culwago’s direction as the other settled himself. “Hmph.” A time or two the darker kit had been useful in their evening adventures, agile and less distinctive in the darkness when sought by the elder Kanthrops searching eyes.

Catherine’s remark on innocence finally stirred a response from her, and she darted a dark look of annoyance the other female’s direction. “Breakfast, well, seeing as how it ought to be the day of Rites ‘n all.. I was hoping Kaila might soothe our nerves with a spot of food? I sure wouldn’t mind helping, necessarily.”

“Surely they won’t forget such a tradition.” Niamh shrugged cavalierly to accompany her muttered words, more intent on her immediate need for food and something interesting to do than the Elder’s forgetfulness or not. A twinge of misgiving coiled in her gut, however, at the possibility of delay. <i>I’ve waited too long for them to brush me aside...</i> “Besides, we can always remind them... right?” There was a decidedly mischievous twinkle in her dark eyes despite her innocent remark. A brief glimmer of sun broke through before it’s early morning ray was dimmed by a thin cloud, the brief warmth was comforting with it’s caress.

Eidolon's speech left her snorting in amusement, though a quick white-toothed grin flashed his direction, regarding the pinecones. Her fingers darted to the ground for the stick once more, poking at the newly stirred fire thoughtfully. “Come on Eido, I rather think Ursa might move us from place to place without all the rumbling, hm? And besides, why would spells cause so much trauma to the land, now.. eh?” <i>Now if I could just figure something to carry the coals in...</i> Niamh was once again distracted by any innovative thoughts on causing a bit of a stir, her eyes casting to note whose tents were still occupied. Few of the Kanthans seemed to have awoken, and it was far too pleasant <i>and important!</i> a day to allow them to rest undisturbed too much longer.

Her head tilted at Eido a moment as she tapped a coal briefly with her stick and then glanced secretively towards a Kanthan’s tent. The few flickers necessary to accomplish this was carefully chosen for a moment when little attention was on herself. Swiftly, the small package passed between the two conspirators and was tucked carefully beneath her sash – the fabric already haphazard enough that another random lump shouldn’t attract too much notice.

Post by Guest »

Eidolon's comments interested Ardal somewhat. Of course, Eidelon didn't have wasn't an authority as far as Ardal was concerned. Still, it was an interesting hypothesis.

Could the island really be moving to another location? It makes me wonder what our Mother Ursa has in store for us.

The ways of the divine were mostly a mystery to the kit. He was no shaman, after all.

Ardal saw Culwago join the group, but didn't pay him much mind. His mind was still bouncing between thoughts of the tremors and thoughts of breakfast.

Ardal's eyes were on their way to the sky again when he caught a glimpse of Niamh. Her expression seemed to be one of annoyance, though Ardal could not think of any reason for it. He followed her gaze to its target. He wondered why Catherine should be the subject of such a look. While it was certainly true, that Niamh and Catherine were nearly polar opposites in terms of personality, Ardal did not understand why the former should so dislike the latter. It occurred to him that perhaps something had happened between the two, something of which he was uninformed. He for one liked Catherine. It also occurred to Ardal, however, that it really was not any of his business.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Kaila listened to the rumours rushing around the fire as another tremor shot through the village. She was swift on her feet and managed to save the food she was preparing from falling into the fire, with some help from a few of the felines who had joined in to gossip. "Ah yes, the trials. Well, I'm sure Oni or Petran will be out shortly to get them started." She handed out some cups of food, soup and some bread to the assembled Kanthrop while she was talking. "We've not missed a festival in a hundred yahren and it's not likely going to happen now if they can help it."

"No it's not."

A dark, deep voice rose behind the group.

"Ah, Petran. Good of you to join us. We've all been wondering how the meetings went."

A large, black panther roamed in between the group as another tremor shot through the ground, not even wavering the animal as he walked, but shacking up some of the older women in their human forms. He grumbled a bit.

"Don't mind the old grouch, he's brooding."

Another voice, soft and gentle swooped in from above, as a beautiful large falcon with a stark white breast and gleaming feather deck landed on a pole near the flames. "Can you pass me some meat Kaila dear? I haven't eaten all night. Gannas wouldn't stop talking."

Kaila was quick to comply, having been preparing some meat in the flames with some of her fellows, obviously especially for this occasion. She tossed a bit of meat up in the air, which Oni Swifttalon was quick to snap out of the sky with her beak, gobbling it up in one bite without chewing.
Last edited by Brytan on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Culwago cast a glance around again, his eyes did not rest anywhere and while he gazed he seemed not to see anything. He stood and stretched, his mouth wideneing into a yawn. He had done what he wanted, they knew he was alive still and he felt no obligation to hang about. Perhaps he would miss some important conversation but he knew it would filter to him eventually. "I shall see you all later" Culwago said stoically before pacing off. He was off for a prowl in the mountains, it was more exciting than sitting about.

Post by Guest »

Ardal was eating his bread passively and tuning in and out of the conversation when he heard the deep voice coming from behind the group. He was almost sure that it was Petran, but he looked anyway. The image of the black panther proved him to be right. Owing to Ardal's rather neutral relationship with Petran, he went back to his bread. Of course, the kit had respect for Petran; he considered to be a fine hunter and a great asset to the Goldenback tribe. However, he was not the best person to be around when one was looking for conversation. The following tremor caused the young kanthrop to bite down hard on his bread, nearly biting into his own tongue.

Ardal then heard another voice, this time from above. It was gentle and feminine, and Ardal knew that it belonged to Oni Swifttalon. He looked up and watched her as she landed. Her words told Ardal that she wouldn't be sharing much about what had happened at the meetings. Petran certainly wasn't going to say anything, he knew. Ardal was curious, but he resolved to himself to wait until after breakfast to ask.
Niamh Windwalker
Civus

OOC: Where is everyone? LOL. ;)
<hr width="15%">

As more figures began awakening, Niamh reluctantly realized that her mischief would have to wait. <i>Eido's not awake enough, anyhow.</i> She settled back on her heels with a soulful sigh, a reflexively innocent grin flashing white teeth Kaila's way as she accepted the food. One hand cradled the hot cup of soup, gingerly balancing it on one knee with one hand so no single finger got too heated. Her nostrils flared slightly, automatically identifying the ingredients that wafted upwards in the steam. Crumbs scattered as the bread promptly disappeared down her gullet.

A hopeful rise to her eyebrows greeted Oni and Petran, though she smothered a laugh at Oni's greeting. The old Panther was well-known for his fits of crankiness. Niamh's pranks, however inventive, had never managed to catch Petran - for one, she'd never quite dared to challenge that gruff, heavy mood of his.

"Did they decide anything, Oni?" Her inquisitive chirp shifted her attention to her own instructor, Ardal's restraint unnoticed by the impulsive kit. "Did they find any answers?" Fear and uncertainty never seemed to be present in the younger kanthrop, but her warm voice reflected that faint undertone that a resolution had been found. <i>Of course, it would mean one less adventure if they had figured everything into place....</i> Without pausing for breath she rushed onwards, "Will we start the trials soon? Or must we wait?" Niamh's blood swept eagerly through her veins, her muscles tensing and loosening with waiting. <i>Perhaps a quick run...</i> if she weren't set something active to do soon, she would have to set herself a pounding run to drain off some of that excess energy. <i>Nervous? Not me! Why would I be nervous?</i> but the appearance of Oni and Petran had brought the reality of today into sudden focus. She was ready, and then some.
Eidolon Myrlin

Post by Eidolon Myrlin »

OOC: Sorry! The battle between me and math continues... And I'm about to lose!

It was true that Eidolon hadn't exactly awaken yet. Sitting cross-legged by the fire, his clothes trailing in dust, he had gladly accepted a bowl of food from Kaila and was slowly chewing the meat, thoughts evidently elsewhere. However, his eyes followed Niamh, registering with mischievous glee that she had taken hold of the package and pocketed it. Shame, it would be nice to chuck them into the fire, he thought idly. Oddly enough, Kaila had chosen that exact look to give him a friendly yet warning look. Eidolon sighed and prodded the blazing embers with a stick. The end burst into flame. Niamh had thought of something better, he reminded himself. Then, gradually, it dawned on his still sleepy mind that she might not want everyone looking at her. The effect was emphasized by a small spark produced by his friend's stick, which incidentally landed on Eidolon's foot. He slapped at it, wincing. A distraction? Hm...?

"Then again, why not?" he responded to the remark about Ursa's rumbling movements. Although his talk was lazy and idle, his mind was racing. "Ever stood high upon the cliffs in full wind? It blows and hums in your ears - you can barely hear your own thoughts. I once tried placing my flute so that the wind would enter it. It produced quite a few nice tunes, though it had a problem with the high ones. A moving island must give off some sound. And it's bound to jerk a little too. The wind isn't the same on all sides!"

He payed a sleepy, early-morning smile in the direction of Catherine and Culwago, just in time to see the other part. Eidolon had no idea what to think of either of them - they were so... Would distant be the right word? All kits - including himself, he was forced to admit - were more of the secretive, lonely kind. Even Niamh, for even though they had both played and played pranks together, he knew there were many things they haven't either of them had ever mentioned. It just didn't seemed right. Eidolon respected the right of everyone to have their own secrets and hidden thoughts, but when he glanced at the old (especially female) Kanthrops, he couldn't help but wonder if these relationships would change.

"Greeting Oni, Petran," he said cheerfully and shifted so the grumpy black panther could pass. For a flicker, he longed to be able to arrive in their way, either like a powerful creature that everyone makes place for, or in the elegant soaring of a bird. He hesitated a moment; a plan for a diversion had begun to crystallize in his mind, but acting heedless in front of a Kanthan and on the day of the Rites was enough to make even Eidolon stop for a flicker. He just shook his head, though, and put the stick he was still holding aside. After all, this was the last day of being a silly kit - hopefully, he whipped up a quick excuse. After we've Changed, we'll probably have to behave. Better act now! His plan was silly - he knew that - but there was no time to come up with anything else - and this would work well - he hoped at least - so he JUMPED!

The almost mature kit's body sailed over the fire, managing to send the pan with the food flying. On a dark night, Eidolon could be easily mistaken for some animal, as his moves and the way he positioned his arms and legs for the leap resembled greatly a four-legged creature. In the daylight, though, the hands of a human landed on Ardal's chest, expecting that the impact would knock the other kit backwards. Eidolon had planned to engage himself and Ardal in a play fight, which would probably capture the attention of the whole gathering.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Oni gobbled up some meat and looked at the flames and those around them as more of the Kanthrop gathered to listen to any news they had to offer. For the past few tides their meetings had been held in secret and silence had been the word so everyone was anxious for news of what was happening. Especially the young kit who were about to start their trials, some being more eager to learn of their faith than others as Culwago left the scene in search of the unknown.

Petran stretched, his large feline form standing ominous in the early rays of the morningtide sun, his black pelt gleaming and groomed, save for some rough patches around his paws. He snatched some of the meat the women had been preparing from a stick which stood in the flames and chewed on it, clawing at it with his mighty front paws as he lay down by the warmth of the fire.

"Ah, hello Niamh, I see you and the others are already up. You must be really excited about today." Oni seemed cheerfull enough in her acknowledgement of the assembled kit, yet as she spoke her eyes darted around, trying to see something the others may not. "Well, a lot has been spoken of and said, and the meeting is still going. We were sent out to prepare the shrine at Paw Lake for the Festival, so that we can start them come tradetide.

A tremor shot through the village again. Somewhere some clay pottery smashed.

"We'll need some help setting up though, so maybe some of you are wi..."

At that moment Eidolon lept over the flames, landing almost on top of it as another tremor threw him off balance as he set off across the fire. He toppled over forward, landing against anyone standing in his way, tipping over one of the meat roasting pikes into the pan of soup which contents poured over the flames and the ground, most of it drowning into the sand around the flame pit. The flames went out with a loud hiss and lots of smoke.
Niamh, Ardal and Catherine felt something inside them roar as Eidolon lept over the flames. It was as though their thoughts were not their own for a moment, as their limbs wanted to move them but their brains were frozen on the spot as Eidolon put them in danger of burning. Part of them felt utterly stunned, while another wanted to react, claw and reach outside of their minds, yearning to reach outside of their souls and grasp the threat and tear it limb from limb.

As the smoke cleared though, most of the adult Kanthrop were nowhere near the fire. Yahren and yahren of training and mental communion with their Inner Animals had hightened their senses and instincts to levels the kit couldn't fathom being still among the unawakened. Petran was standing on his own when Torryian and Pert already went back to the fire to check on Eidolon and breakfast. Oni was still sitting on her post, looking in utter amazement at her pupil who now lay stretched besides the cooking fire.

"I am off to the Festival Grounds Oni, I suggest you teach that one some subtelty or he'll never make it through his first night." Petran sounded as though nothing remotely interesting had happened as he turned his gaze to Catherine. "Coming? Seems Culwago thinks he's too good for us, time to go on a little hunt, why don't we?"
Last edited by Brytan on Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Ardal was relieved to hear that no one had any intention of forgetting about the village's kit. He had waited long enough for his Awakening, and no one was going to deprive him of it.

Ardal began to ponder what he would be doing until tradetide when another quake tore through the island. The movement coupled with the sound of breaking pottery distracted him from that thought. As the tremor subsided, he turned his attention back to Oni. Seconds later, he saw Eidelon launch into the air out of the corner of his eye. Another tremor had started and he was fixed on the spot. Something primal was raging within him, but he could not get himself to move. Eidolon toppled over, crashing right into him. For a few moments, he was stunned, trying to fathom what had just happened.

As everything began to settle down, Ardal regained his composure. He got his feet as quickly as he was able. He might have noticed that almost all of the adults had vacated the vicinity of the fire, but his gaze was fixed squarely on Eidelon.

"YOU MORON!" he roared, obviously not at the moment concerned whether or not Eidelon had hurt himself. "What in the name of Ursa did you think you were doing?! You could have set us all on fire! I would beat you senseless if you were not there already!" he screamed.
Catherine Durenne

Catherine had always wondered why Niamh disliked her. It was true that her solitary nature and the social training she received set her somewhat apart from the others yet she had never been able to perceive exactly why the woman seemed so annoyed when she was around. Her own reasons for disliking the kit were, according to her, quite logical. Niamh was childish and that was just it. She and Eidolon were always brooding up some scheme. Although she hadn't often been at the receiving end of their pranks she still considered it a waste of precious time.

The first few times the duo tried to pulls something on her had showed that Catherine might forgive quickly, after doing some physical damage, but she didn't easily forget and found other ways to remind and repay them.

The blonde woman nodded a greeting as Culwago joined in. From all other kits he seemed to one whose demeanor resembled her own. Yet she found that, although she didn't dislike him, his presence depressed her. He spoke even less then she did and seemed to forego friendship, choosing complete isolation and a distant relation to the others. It might be her training that made her more susceptible to social interaction then Culwago and that made her understand the value of friends better then he did. Whatever it was, the difference between them was fundamental, even though the others might not be able to see it.

Her eyes darted to Ardal, who was looking at her, and she shot him a quick smile. She liked the proud man more than the others. If she would have had time for such things in the past few yahren she might have tried to get closer to him yet her own training had kept her quite busy leaving nothing more then a few glances and smiles and a friendship that seemed to go deeper between them compared to the her relation to the others.

”Ah, finally some news…” she thought as the two Kanthans arrived. Oni’s remark made her smile. The female Kanthan always seemed to get right to the point without obfuscating the truth, something she could appreciate. As was her habit she let the others take an active role in the conversation while she remained silent and listened.

And then Eidolon decided to jump… ”FOOL!” Catherine roared inside. For a moment her perception shifted and she trembled slightly as a fear of fire that wasn’t her own tried to overwhelm her. Her lips curled back and she almost snarled at Eidolon. Her hands twitched as a primal rage against the kit rose up in reaction to the fear she felt just before. She was in a good mind to join Ardal and beat some sense into the fool when Petran addressed her.

For a moment she looked at him, the words not registering. When she finally understood his words an eager smile played around her lips. A distant feeling tugged at her, something vaguely familiar, a primal hunger that entwined with the rage that still burned inside her. “A hunt seems like a good idea,” she conceded, following Petran, throwing one last scornfull gaze at Eidolon.
Eidolon Myrlin

Post by Eidolon Myrlin »

"Yawwrrl..."

A cry of pain. Pain all over his body, churning and burning his skin. Smoke, and the smell of burnt meat (or flesh?). Being fixed to the spot with fear, petrified, in the claws of an ancient emotion he had never encountered before.

Smoke all over.
Dull pain.
Fear.

Then the feeling relaxed its hold on him. Eidolon rolled over and away from the extinguished fire, brushing off the embers that had fell onto various parts of his skin and lightly burned him. He was confused, his mind spinning like a maniac's. He had jumped, and then - oh, yes, there had been a lurch. The island had trembled once more and had caused him to land astray. Eidolon hadn't particularly minded the small earthquakes before - in his mind, they were of natural and innocent origin, bound to stop in a few days. Yet now they began to irk him. He felt like cursing, but before he could even twist his face into a scowl, another feeling flooded him. It was relief. If the tremble hadn't happened, he might as well have landed in the fire. Choking down all his spite, the kit muttered a quick thanks to Ursa.

Then Ardal was on him, yelling and screaming. Eidolon put his hands over his ears, wondering what he could say in his defense. There wasn't a lot. There wasn't anything, actually. Glancing up, he caught Catherine's scornful look and instinctively made an equally ugly face back at her. Miss goody-goody... Hang on... It was just then that he noticed that everyone was in a safe distance from the fire. The older Kanthrops were only now starting to return - there was no one in the closest vicinity of the fire except himself. Oh, and Ardal, who was glaring at him.

"Sorry, Ardal, sorry," he said, eager to make up. "I saw you sitting there all sad and dark, and thought we could have a little fun. It was supposed to be a fight, you know. Not cooking lessons."

He grinned. What he had said was true, though he had left out the part about the distraction. Speaking of which, where was Niamh? He didn't dare look around, instead knelt beside the wet ashes of the breakfast fire and began to tidy the fireplace.

"Sorry 'bout that, too," he said meekly, looking up at the Kanthans. He caught sight of Oni and hung his head low.
Niamh Windwalker
Civus

At the peak of the commotion and lurching ground, the steaming hot contents of Niamh's soup sloshed over her knees, resulting in a piercing "AIII!" as her heart poised in that instant of uncertainty and pain. Instinct warred with her thoughts as she poised to flee the scene of discomfort, but mentally checked herself. Yet the blood pounded irrationally through her brain, and the sight of Eidolon roiling on the ground with the other two shrieking sparked a brief flurry of fury.

"Who's more a moron?" Venting some useful frustration, she scooped up one of the buckets of cold water yet unused, and promptly doused Eidolon with it - careless of whether or not Ardal succumbed to the wave due to his proximity to the younger kit. Niamh had burned herself enough over the past yahren to know that a prompt dousing in cold water did much to reduce the long-term damage. If, perhaps, the briskness of the liquid was also mild retribution for the soup adorning her own skin... so much the better! "The only thing on fire, Ardal, is the food!" She glared at Eido and turned her back on her partner in crime, only to note that the flood of water she had loosed was now draining <i>through</i> the remains of the fire, wending between the rocks, making a sloppy mess of soupy ashes.

Niamh's temper abated quickly as reason began resettling, adrenaline still forcing the blood rapidly through her veins until it pounded a steady tempo at a point behind her temple. Making a face, she tossed a hunk of drenched wood from the campfire, rolling her eyes at Eido as one hand absently rubbed the barely discernable lump under her sash.

"Gah.. it's useless now.. the ashes are completely cold..." Eido's distraction, perhaps, had been a little too successful. Niamh's hands had been full of food when he had leaped, and the remains of her soup still adorned the fabric that dangled below her waist. <i>Too impulsive,</i> Niamh thought, neglecting to recall her own failed bouts of mischief and times of impatience over the years. Of course, while Niamh's compulsive need to cause trouble exerted itself frequently, she had also learned a healthy respect for <i>avoiding notice</i> while doing so.

Catherine's departure didn't perturb Niamh overmuch, her mind reading more general scorn into the other kit's attitude than perhaps was there. Perhaps the other female kits disdain for everything Niamh considered amusing was a factor in the barrier between them. To Catherine such efforts might seem a waste of time, but Niamh saw no sense in morose contemplation of the world. There was far too much life to experience, and far too little time before such simple pleasures might pass.

"Eido and I'll help, Oni." She elbowed the kit in question, as if to caution him against protesting. The pinecones seemed to throb at her waistline, curled as she was and perched on her toes by the soggy campfire. Her beaky nose lifted, eyes trailing along it until they reached her falcon mentor. Head cocking as she listened to her answer. A quick glance at Eido followed, accompanied by a waggling of her dark brows hinted at an idea. <i>The bonfire, perhaps, if we bury them deeply enough... so they go off mid-burn....</i> "Though <i>I</i> will have to change so I am no longer wearing my <i>food</i>." Her face twisted as she peered at Eido, her grimace teasing as much as it reflected her true annoyance.

Post by Guest »

Ardal did his best to evade the water that was thrown upon Eidolon by Niamh. He had already been knocked into the dirt, so he didn't need to be wet as well.

Despite his anger, Ardal did not interupt Eidolon during his attempt to apologize. He just continued to glare at him, incredulous at his fellow kit's nerve. He didn't speak up until Eidolon finished.

"I... you... grrr!" he stumbled, finishing with a frustrated growl. He bent down to brush the dirt off of his kanthar before continuing. "Oh, nevermind! Just be thankful that I am not in a sour mood today. But if you ever do something so stupid to me again, I swear I'll split your lip!"

With that, Ardal grumbled to himself and sat back down. His eyes followed Catherine as she left with Petran. He did not desire her to leave, but he figured that Petran must have had something to talk about with his pupil.

"So, Oni, do you have any plans today for myself, Niamh, and the kanthrop kindling over there? Or is the day our own?" he asked his mentor as absent-mindedly tried to smooth out the wrinkles in his shirt, the only shirt he had which had not been wrinkled.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eidolon Myrlin

Post by Eidolon Myrlin »

With an incoherent sound - something between a yowl and an angry mutter - Eidolon scrambled back from the cold water that fell on his head, drenching him from head to toe. Why, oh why did everything go completely wrong? The morning breeze - cool and calming up to this moment - now stung his skin through his drenched clothes. Involuntarily, Eidolon began to shiver, teeth chattering. Furious, he bit down hard to stop the rattling noise and rubbed his arms, trying to warm them up.

"Great Ursa, well, next time I must remember to tease you in the mornings, Ardal," he said upon regaining command over his teeth. "Before your mood sours! And I warn you - I won't give up my lips easily. Nor any other part of my body, on second thoughts."

He shot a wide, innocent smile in the other's direction and stood up, brushing himself off. Droplets of water trickled down his chest, dripping to the ground and forming small puddles around his sandalled feet.

"Sure we'll help. I'll have to change too, though," he grimaced back at Niamh, understanding the movement of her eyebrows and giving a nod. As long as there's no more need for distraction. Eidolon had been avoiding Oni's eyes, but now he looked straight at her, head held high. There was no point in prolonged meekness. He had apologized, the damage had been done - and there was no point in dwelling on the matter any further. If there was to be punishment, fine. A lesson? Fine too. Just as long as there was a full stop to it. The kit couldn't bear long-term grudges.

"The elements seem to be keen on blessing me with their intimate presence," he remarked gravely. "Fire, water... Next thing I know, the earth will open up and swallow me."

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”