Of Wind and Wave - Sam 27th (MT)

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Post by Dartimos Hammer »

Pages in the castle were like feral cats in the city. There always seemed to be a few around any time of the day or night, and without a great deal of effort it was nearly impossible to now if you had seen any particular one before.

Astallion had no trouble find a page who was more that happy to take him to the Lord Advocates office. As they walked the page kept a respectful silence leaving Astallion to his thoughts. The route led through one of the main hallways. Twenty or more feet wide, with tapestries and plants adorning it, it was a busy place. Full of adhiel going determinedly about thier business, or with knots of people talking quietly in groups making the deals that no doubt kept the government of Kislovan functioning.

About one hundred feet down the hall was an arch with the words "Office of the Exchequer". It would have been like each of the other arches Asht had passed except for the elf coming through it. An older adhiel, his hair pulled back in a ponytail, he clearly recognized Asht and started to approach, then thought better of it and stepped back. His lips were compressed in a thin line above narrowed eyes, and Asht could see that the hand that held his cane gripped his tightly enough to make his knuckles white.
Comfort Level =D / Age = 41 (Gasp!!!)
Posting 1-2 times per week.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

OOC: Does Asht know the older adhiel? I'm thinking its Gerenor..... a PC Syra created. Not sure though?

The mage started slightly at the sight of the older adhiel, his odd reaction to him spiked his curiosity. He knew him, most definately, motions speaking louder than words. This meeting with the Lord Argil had him slightly off balance however and his attention to the other adhiel was minimal. Asht could guess what the conversation was to be about, Argil had questioned him on his childhood only the previous eveingtide and stated they would continued the topic at a later date.

Yet there was something else that nagged at the back of his mind. Did the Lord Advocate wish something more from him? Aliiances? A Favour? What the Lord could possibly want with a mage of his meager standing was beyond Ashtallion. Was he so meager? Compared to Mage Falgan, whose prowess and power radiated from the mage in pungent waves even when he was not touching the aether, he was a mageling of inconsequential might. But to others whom did not possess a fraction of the forces he could call upon, what did he seem like?

So many questions. His head forever filled with them, trying to find answers to them all. Frustration was the often result, growing into an irritating annoyance. A constant buzzing between his pointed ears.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

As Astallion slowed in the thought, the page gave a slight respectful cough indicating which was the battlemage was to go as he followed him. Passing the older adhiel, Asht could see that he was a man of some importance from the way people stepped around him in deference, they continued down the hall. Making a couple more turns, and heading up a flight of stairs the two adhiel reached a arch planted in roses.

The heady aroma of flowers in bloom reached him as they passed through to where a young male adhiel sat at a desk with a sign on top.

Information, Permits, and Passes
]

The page led him to the line, and with a bow departed. The line was short and moved quickly. Soon in front, Ashtallion faced the greeter.

"How can the Advocate's office assist you?" he was asked.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

The presence of the elder adhiel and the reaction of others towards him only deepend Ashtallion's curiosity, a slight frown marred his brow as he waited in the short and quick line. It vanished as he approached the desk, a polite smile, carefully practiced, gracing his full lips. " Ashtallion Urdil, the Lord Advocate wished to see me... ", he handed over the short missive which had been sent to him earlier.

" I was sent this note. Is Lord Argil available to see me? If not I will happily return later.. ", he secretly hoped for the latter, for some reason he did not want to start a conversation about his childhood...
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

As soon as he handed the letter, with its elaborate wax seal, to the young man tending the desk he stood up and extending an arm pointed to the doors in the back of the lobby.

"If your lordship will follow me.", the clerk said, leading Astallion back towards the doors. If Astallion follows he will be led past rows of desks of adhiel, reading, writing, and otherwise doing the sort of thankless work that is absolutely necessary to the smooth operation of government.

OOC: If Asht is going to do anything other than follow as indicated let me know and I will edit this post.

Opening the doors led into a large, open airy room. On the floor in the center of the room was a fully three dimensional copy of Kislovan, perhaps ten or a dozen paces in diameter. The cities stood out in sharp relief to the jungles and natural greens and browns of the island. Some magik must have enchanted the map, for it seemed the water actually splashed, breaking in tiny waves upon the shore, and clouds moved, puffy pillows floating above the island.

Lord Argil, the Lord Advocate of Kislovan stood upon a platform, perhaps the height of a tall man above the island looking down as the models of a floatilla approached a southern beach. "So close," he muttered, his attention fully on the events before him. "We could have lost thousands, but with proper warning, much of the disaster can be averted."

As the clerk coughed quietly, Argil looked up. Seeing Asht before him his face lit up, a real smile erasing the look of worry on his features. He turned and quickly taking the steps down the back of his platform, came over to his guest, reaching out to take his hand in greating. "Milord Astillion, I am gratified you returned my request for an audience so promptly."
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Asht entered the room with trepidation, keeping his gaurd up. Though not fearing any sort of assault, there were more than one ways to launch an attack. He was still new to Kislovan, and their poltical powers were unknown to him. However, as he spied the wondrous map on the floor, his curiosity overwhelmed anything else within him. Even as the Lord Argil spoke he had to force his gaze away from the strange magical creation.

" Tis my pleasure to be here, Lord Advocate. Though I would have been swifter, however I had some training with Mage Falgan. ", he bowed his head slowly, raising his eyes to meet those of the Lord before him.

" What was it you wished to see for, Lord? I assumed perhaps it was to continue our discussion from last eveningtide? ", he did not mention anything specific incase the Advocate did not wish any other within the room to know what they talked about.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"Indeed, that is part of what I wished to discuss. May I offer you some refreshment while we talk. It is my understanding that studying with Mage Falgan can be... intense."

Argil gestured at the clerk who had brought Asht in to the room. "A plate of fruits and some juice for me and ....."

OOC: I am going to assume that Asht will either order or decline and in either case, give the clerk leave to go. If not, let me know and I will edit this post accordingly.

Argil waited until the door closed behind the clerk, leaving the two of them alone. "I see you like my map. It allows me to play out various scenarios and see what is likely to happen. Although, one must be careful, the map shows exactly what is asked of it. Having good base information being able to ask the right question is key. For example, what you saw was a plan to evacuate Cerleann should the Western Kingdom decide that Kislovan is next on thier crusade.

"And in the case of good information, it seems that good information about you and your sister is hard to come by. So I decided to come straight to the source. As I am sure the Royal Battlemage has told you, the health and life of Kislovan is perhaps my driving passion. So I have decided to come to the source and ask you directly.

Here Argil paused for a breath and perhaps blushed would be a good description. "Also, before you answer, I must confess that while my primary questions are for the good of the kingdom, some of my curiosity is also personal. Your sister is a charming woman. Is your family old fashioned enough that she has a chaparone? If I were to wish to court her, is there someone I would need approach first?"
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

" Water is suficient thankyou. ", he smiled to the clerk, giving a small nod.

As the Lord Advocate spoke, Asht found his eyes drawn to the map once more. " Very impressive... I assume it is indeed magic? ", he did not really need to hear the answer, but it kept the conversation flowing. It was Argils' following statement that gave the adhiel cause to regard the adhiel Lord directly. " I will be glad to tell you what I can about my sister and I.....though trust me when I say that we pose no threat to Kislovan. ", he offered a smile, one that he was forced to maintain as the last words about courting Alustariel fell from the Advocate's lips.

" My parents are not in Kislovan, my Lord. So you intend to seek permission to court my sibling...... then I will be the one to speak to. Though in reality, I suppose any who wish to court Alustariel need not ask my permission. Though I suggest my advice would be beneficial. ", he allowed his words to linger in the air for a moment before continuing. " I will admit to be extremely protective of my sister. I lost her once before, thinking her dead.... I will not lose her so easily again. "

" But of course, should you wish to court her Lord Argil.... by all means. Ultimately, Alustariel will be the one to decide. "
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

As Asht finished speaking a page entered bearing a plate of fruits and two carafes, one filled with an amber liquid, the other clear. As the food was laid out Argil spent the time describing the workings of the map. His choice of words made it clear to the magik-trained Ashtallion that the Lord Advocate was no adept, but also that Argil appreciated what it took to create a tool like the one before them.

As soon as the page had let himself back out, Argil cut himself short and came to the point.

"That is an interesting observation you make, my friend. That your parents are not here on Kislovan. Can you tell me, have they ever been here? I understand that your entrance to the island was somewhat rushed and perhaps even under a cloud. But now that you are here, have you let them know? Perhaps there are friends here on the island that could help you if they knew you were here."
Last edited by Dartimos Hammer on Tue May 16, 2006 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Here was where the mage had to be careful.

Any hint that he anything to do with the Ceasars death might cause more trouble, the kind he wished to avoid. " I had not thought about that, Lord Argil... perhaps I will look into such. Friends of the family would be most welcomed. ", in truth he had not thought of that, though he doubted he would act upon it.

" My parents have been here, yes, many years ago. It was here that Alustariel and I were first....seperated. An unfortunate night. A storm ripped through the skies and the two of us were injured. Though I was found, Alu was not and thought dead for many years. It is only recently that the two of us were reunited, so you can imagine why I am very protective of her just now... at least until she becomes and more accomplished Sorceress. ", he smiled slightly, her image warming his heart.

" It is true what you say, we left the Citadel and the University of Magic in a hurry. The reasons for which are not something I truely wish to discuss at this point in time, personal circumstances... my parents know, I sent them a letter explaining that we both ventured to Kislovan to train under the battlemages here. Mage Falgan has a great reputation, as does the training facilties available here. I doubt I would become as accomplished a battlemage had I remained at the University. ", sweet words spoke to placate the adhiel Lord. " If I may be so blunt, Lord Argil.... ", he regarded the Advocate squarely with his golden gaze, " Do you consider me a threat to Kislovan? Is such the reason for this meeting? ", his voice was pleasent, for in truth he meant no hostility in the question.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"Only in the way that a tree might consider a cloud on the horizon a threat. It might bring welcome rain, or a terrible storm, but it does portend change.

"But everything changes. Even the island itself changes over time. Waves erode the shore. The wind slowly ages even the mountains. How well will we recognize what is dear to us once it changes?"

Argil turned and gestured to an alcove where three portraits sat. All were of beautiful adhiel women, formally posed and elegantly painted. "One of these is my aunt, commissioned as a gift by the man who would become my uncle. What do you think of them?"
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion smiled politely as the Lord Adocate spoke, listening with respect as the adhiel was due it. " Yes, change. Something I have become used to, especially recently, it seems my entire world has changed.... for the better I would hope. ", he did not immediately answer the question, not sure if it was simply rhetorical.

Yet as he turned to his left, regarding the portraits of the stunningly beautiful adhiel women, the mage started, a small gasp escaping his lips. One of them, tall and willowy, beautiful... a beauty that reflected in both himself and his sibling. " Mother.. ", the word was uttered just about a whisper, loud enough for the Advocate to hear it, shock and confusion thundered in his mind.

" Lord Argil.... ", he rose a hand, gesturing to the portrait of his mother. Though it was certainly an old painting, he knew her. " Who is this woman? ", his golden eyes never ventured from the picture, still studying it, trying to see if anything betrayed it, confirming it not to be his mother...
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"That is exactly the question I brought you here to answer. Who is that woman. Or more specifically, who is that woman to you? I will tell you that..."

Just as Argil began speaking, a private door to his office burst open and a dark haired adhiel rushed in. By the time the door had flown open fully to crack loudly against the wall the adhiel was in front of Argil and down on one knee. Asht wasn't sure since the adhiel was bent over but it looked like there was blood on his hands and his tunic. "M'lord. I must speak to you. I lost her for just a moment and she disappeared. She may have spotted me and took off at a run towards the North Gate. By the time I was able to track her down she was surrounded by a group of ninadhiel", he spat out the word.

Even as he spoke his head had come up and he suddenly caught Asht's eyes. The blue of his eyes was clearly visible to Asht as they widened with recognition. With a swallow, he continued. "Umm, perhaps you would like me to return later when we can discuss this in private, M'lord?"

"No, this concerns Lord Anghiril as well. I have a confession, my friend. Until I was was to confirm what I suspect, I thought it prudent to have you and your sister's movements traced so I that I could see if anyone else you might be involved decided to attempt to contact you.

"This is, it appears, one of my less competant agents who was supposed to be tracking your sister. Now," Argil continued, his voice cold, still, and totally without any sign of feeling or emotion as he turned back to the kneeling adhiel. "Finish your tale. What happened to Alustariel?"

"They assulted her M'lord. They considered themselves some self-appointed vigilanties after the incident with the human woman the other night. She did an admirable job attempting to defend herself, but there were to many of them. When I realized they might really hurt her, I pulled out my badge and charged into them. Before they could realize I was only one person, they had dropped her and fled. I took her to the Temple for medical attention and then came here to report as soon as possible."[/b]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

It seemed they would have to cut their conversation short, or so Asht thought as he saw the dark haired adhiel thunder into the room. The mage was surprised Argil allowed this sort of intrusion, yet their was evidently an important matter. It was when the adhiel looked at Asht with what seemed recognition, did the adhiel sorcerer feel the first tremor of unease pass through him.

That termor only increased as the one assigned to Alustariel related his tale of her assault. Aetheric energy burned in the mages eyes, the golden orbs now flowed like liquid, shining with a dangerous light. " Alustariel was attacked? ", his voice was not raised, yet it held a coldness more vast than the deepest waters. " By humans? ", though it was hard to tell if his eyes moved, the light obscuring filling his eyes, his gaze rested on Argil. Yes, he was rather angry at finding out someone was following him, but he had more pressing matters to deal with. Bring his attention to the messenger once more, " You will take me to her. ", and he would undoubtly not take kindly to the answer being no. " Then tell me who these humans were.... I want names if you have them, if not then their general location. "

" I'll flay the flesh from their bones. "

He turned to walk out the door, however he stopped and turned his head to the painting, " The woman in the portrait is my Mother, Lord Argil. "
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Argil's eyes were downcast. "Will you do me the honor of allowing me to take you to the Temple myself, Lord Alrul? There are things that should be explained", Lord Argil's pursing of his lips as he chose that word, "before we see Alustrial. Now that things are confirmed they are going to be moving very quickly, and Chuir will not be pleased. And as loyal as I believe my staff to be, this office is not the place to discuss such things."

Walking quickly he caught up with the taller adhiel and led him to the massive front office doors which he opened himself. As Argil followed Asht out the doors and into the main foyer, he leaned in toward the clerk for just a moment. The clerk jumped to his feet and as the two adhiel headed out into the hallway Asht could see the clerk at the window waving a red banner.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion nodded as Argil requested to take the mage to the temple himself. He gained a measure of control over himself and the light in his eyes died down slightly, though the iris' still seemed to move like liquid gold. Such anger burned in him, a fury both hot and cold, singing in his blood with an almost primordial chorus, simply begging to be let out and slate its thirst with the blood of the human filth that dared touch, never mind harm, his beautiful sister.

He watched impassively as Argil spoke to the clerk, whom in turn jumped to action, waving the red banner. Yes, the mage was seeing red all over. Though outwardly he appeared calmer, or at least more controlled, his mind filled with images of burning winds and savage flames. " Please do explain these....things.... of which you speak, Lord Advocate. Right now I am not exactly in the mood for cryptic conversations and whispered motivations. Evidently you had reason to have both myself and Alustariel 'tagged', for good or ill, I care not at this moment and will question such later. "

" Right now, my concern is Alustariel...anything else you can shed on this situation would be immensley appreciated... ", something else burned within the War Wizard, a deeper hunger and lust. His mother was in that portrait, he wanted to know why. " Including perhaps why my Mother is within a portrait in your office. "
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

The Lord Regent nodded to Ashtallion, but did not respond, only gestured for his guest to follow him out into the hall and down a side set of steps. By the time they had reached the bottom of the steps, passed out through the doors and reached the archway the doors opened out to, a carriage was just pulling out up meet them.

The footman hopped down and dropping the stool in place swung the door open to let them in. Argil rapped on the window to the driver. "The Temple, now." With a crack of the whip and a jerk of the coach, they were off, the horses moving as close to a run as they could safely be driven in the narrow street.

"Now then, Lord Alrul , I think this is a good place to speak. I had planned several different ways to discuss this information, none of them approaching what has actually happened. I do not apologize for having you and your sister watched, that is part of my job. I only apologize for the failure of the watcher I appointed to keep her from harm, which was his job. Cuhir has clearly shown that he will do nearly anything to protect his position, and both of you are a threat to his power."
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

" I am no Lord, please. The blood of nobility does not run in my veins.... I am called Ashtallion. ", he stopped short of himself, thinking back to the portrait of his mother. Was there something significant there? Was his mother, in fact, a member of the nobility in Kislovan? If so, then she had failed to mention that small matter.

" And who is this Alrul? This Cuhir, I'll assume he is the one who ordered the attack on my sister..... I'll want his description and location after I have seen her. He has made a grave error in judgement if he thinks this Sorcerer is incapable of reaping his own revenege. ", Ashtallion's stomach felt queasy, thinking about what he would see when he got to the temple. Alustariel, his Silver Sister. It wasn't just her physical beauty that held other captivated, she possessed a light within her that radiated through her flesh, most couldn't see it, they merely felt it.

How badly hurt was she? Either way, the adhiel mage would make the humans responsible pay for this, in blood.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"I fear I must correct you. The blood of the nobility does run in your veins, and your sisters. There are some final tests required for legal proof, but I am now certain. You are Lord Ashtallion Alrul, son of Elamshin Alurl, and a member of the Anghiril family. Cuhir Anghiril is the Lord Exchecquer, your cousin, and currently the heir to the Anghiril family. He is also, although I cannot yet gather enough proof to bring it to the Council, a criminal and moral degenerate. I would not put the attack on your sister past him either in willingness or ability, but that makes him a suspect. It does not convict him."
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion sat there, dumb founded.

" My.... my mother? ", he could hardly believe the words coming from the Lord Advocates mouth, he stared at him with hard, glittering eyes. " Impossible... she would have said something to me. Why leave Kislovan for the Citadel... ", he looked the carriage window, " To leave all of this behind. ", this was all too much for him just now, he had to focus on Alustariel.

" If this Cuhir is the one behind Alustariels assult, I want to know for definate. What sort of threat are we that he would.... would dare harm my sister? ", that golden gaze became slightly unfocused, as though trying to figure something out, " Perhaps I will have to pay the Lord Exchequer a visit once I have made sure Alu is well... ", the fire of his initial ire had evidently died as he regained control of himself and his wayward emotions. The sorcerer had found that it was becoming harder and harder to suppress his emotions, they were growing stronger, yet he felt that this was not diminishing his powers... quite the opposite. Such made his somewhat uneasy, yet another matter he would have to figure out later on.

" Will we be there soon? ", again his eyes strayed out of the carriage, apprehension shimmered in his eyes.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"It should not be to much longer." Argil pulled back the shade covering the window and looked out. "Although it may take a little bit longer, there seems to be a great number of people out today."

He pulled back the screen so Asht could see. Knots of people stood talking. Some groups were all human, some all adhiel. Few, if any of the groups they passed seemed to have both together.

"I agree that Alustrial must be our first priority. And I do ask that you not discuss this matter with Cuhir or anyone else right now. Let me complete my investigation first. I would also remind you that until he is charged with a crime, the Lord Exchequer is a member of the Royal Government, and as such under its protection. You cannot help your sister from a prison cell."

The carriage slowed again, pedestrian traffic getting more and more congested. It was still faster than getting out and walking through the crowds would be, but not by much.

"As for your mother, it is a matter of public knowledge that she had an affair with a human man. THere was a great scandal attached to it when the two of them ran off to the Citadel. I can only assume that the relationship fell apart and she met the adhiel who would be your father at the Citadel. You should understand that as full blooded adhiel, you are not affected by her legal standing, which is why Cuhir is so worried about the two of you."
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion wanted to rage and thunder against it all. At that moment he severely disliked being told what was best for now, everything in his body, every spark of sorcery wanted to be unleashed and be given free reign to bringt fire and flood, quake and storm. Yet, he possessed the control to push aside those thoughts and see the logic in the Advocates words.

" Very well, I will submit to your judgement in the matter, Lord Argil. Though if you do find anything that confirms Cuhir had a hand in my sisters attack, I would appreciate being informed immediately. Cuhir has sorely underestimated me if he thinks I will be a weak player in this game. ", Ashtallion rose a hand and simply stared at it for a moment. " I have the literal power to back my words up. ", dropping the hand, he looked at Argil. " Does Cuhir have any skill in which he is adept? Anything that would he could directly stand up to me with? I ask out of curiosity for now. Obviously if he were Sorcerer.... someone with power other than political strings... something that would give him an advantage over me. "

" So I am a Lord in truth. And Alustariel a Lady of Kislovan Nobility. ", he let a soft chuckle escape his throat. " She is going to enjoy hearing this news immensely I think. ", as a matter of fact, Ashtallion could not suppress his own thrill at the news. He actually was a Noble.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"His power base is actually much more economic than political. Cuhir is already over 200 years old. The third child in the family, he had no real aims in the political direction. As such, he has no children, and had not worked to develop the kind of political network his, excuse me, your family is know for."

"However, with the deaths of his siblings during the desert trek and his subsequent rise to position of heir to the Achroilel title, he has worked hard in recent months to correct that. But such things take time. And now suddenly, when he thought his new-found title secure, you two show up and threaten to take it all away again."
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion sighed in frustration. " We didn't even know of our blood line, let alone know that we posed a threat to his title. He can have it... I doubt Alustariel will object. The two of us came to Kislovan to grow in our Art, not to become embroiled in a poltical plot. ", he gritted his teeth, stopping himself from speaking any further in his anger.

" Never did I think coming here would become so...involved. ", the mages' gaze grew unfocused as though staring far off. " Perhaps we should never have come here. Its been one situation after another. "

Looking to Argil, the sorcerer spoke in a soft voice, " I can only do so much to protect Alustariel, my magic is far from limitless. Is there anything you can do.... to protect her? "
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"I am not without...resources. Although, they we insufficient to protect her, I dread to think what might have happened had there not been someone there at all. And while she is at the Temple, Cuhir would not dare touch her, if he is in fact the cause of this attack."

"But if you care for adhiel, your people, I beg you do not let this drive you away." Argil was leaning forward, tension visible in the clenching of his hands and the tightness of his jaw and face. "Kislovan needs calm heads who care for her people more than they care for thier own purses. This is a critical time for the island, and while I understand your desire not to be caught in the middle of this mess, I need your help, Kislovan needs your help, The queen needs [b]your[b] help."

Return to “Kislovan Archive”