Aboard the Marsh Treader [Sam 26th, finished]

Moderator: Mods

Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

OOC: i think my posting may be a bit patchy too. don't bother waiting for me if you want to go ahead, guys...

Turi grinned at the now-recovered halfing. "Quiet one, aren't you?" she whispered. "Just as well, with the cursed pirates and all. Turi, Jonathan, Aurael," she continued by way of introduction, pointing at herself, the gull and the hatch down which the achadiel had disappeared.
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]
Ranhild Pheldroppe

Post by Ranhild Pheldroppe »

OOC: Hi - I don't want to cheat you out of a nice post (or of the evil plans I have in mind, tee hee), I'll post tomorrow. Just so you know I haven't died, life's been hectic. As soon as the photos are here, I'll show you what I had been doing for the past few days :)
EDIT: Here we go :)

IC:

Enough light shone through the planks of the board for the three (or four) passengers to make out what was below. However, if the scene could be described as anything, it was unexpected.

What Aurael saw, peeking down into the dim shadows of below-board, was a ladder that lead down from the hole, ending just above the ground. It was around nine feet below deck. The room was a large and bare cabin, completely windowless, with two doors opposite each other. In the middle of the cabin was a small wooden cage, large just enough for one person to rest inside with minimum comfort. The sounds were coming from inside, but the bars were too thick for Aurael to see through. actually, the box was something between a cage and a crate.

As the trapdoor flapped open and hit the floor with a thud, the cries increased and someone began scraping at the insides of the crate from inside.

"Help!"

"Now that is a human word at least," said Jonathan high above, peeking his scruffy head inside the dark hole. "A girl or woman, I daresay."

Suddenly his eyes went wide, if that is possible for a gull's anatomy. He backed away, feather ruffled.

"I believe I recognize it," he cawed uncertainly. "Sounds like that witch who wanted to skin me."
Last edited by Ranhild Pheldroppe on Mon May 15, 2006 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daithi Ar Avonford

Post by Daithi Ar Avonford »

OOC: Does no one here procrastinate? I guess I must be the only one gleefully ignoring study... :roll:

Daithi was distracted momentarily by the human's (no, Turi's) introductions. The gull had a name, apparently.

"My name's Dai-"

Just then the adhiel... no, the achadhiel, Daithi realised, had moved ahead of her and opened the trap door.

"Help!"

From where she was standing, Daithi could not see inside the trapdoor, but heard muffled scraping noises after the initial cry. Jonathon's reaction was disturbing, however. A witch? She wondered if he'd meant that literally. As a halfling, Daithi was not one to hold much truck with witches.

Nervously, Daithi moved to be able to look into the cabin below. Standing next to Jonathon now, she asked-

"She tried to skin you?"
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

"A bluff, I suspect," said Turi dryly. "Likely all we're dealing with is a scared, angry girl. No offense, Jonathan - that's a fine looking beak you've got there, but it can look fearsome at close range." Hoping to assuage the gull's fears and persuade him to cooperate, she wasn't being subtle with the flattery (although it was sincere enough, really).

Joining the other three, she had examinged the cabin as well. "It looks safe enough," she remarked. "I think we'd be better off down there than up here for the time being. Who knows what that girl came across, wandering around on the deck alone, huh?" With these words, she slipped into opening, clambered down the ladder as quietly as she could, then walked over to the box and knocked on it.

"Hello there. You can stop shouting now. I hear you've got a knife, but if you promise not to use it, we'll try to get you out."

Turi looked up and winked. "And please don't threaten Jonathan again, he's only trying to help."

OOC: Oh, we procrastinate all right.
Last edited by Turi on Wed May 17, 2006 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Post by Guest »

Aurael sniggered at Jonathan's comment and then returned his attention to what was going on with the mystery person in the box. He moved out of the way so Turi could make her way down to the box. He watched as she began to talk to the person and calm him or her down. He then looked over at Daithi and introduced himself, "Sorry I did'nt introduce myself my names Aurael". He smiled at her and then dissapeared down into the room that the trapdoor had revealed.

He landed with a thud and stood next to the ladder and left Turi to sort out the situation, "Hmm I'll stay out this till everything is sorted out...I don't want to overwhlm whomever's inside..."
Ranhild Pheldroppe

Jonathan stayed at the edge of the trapdoor, balancing on the tips of his webbed feet and craning his neck to look below.

"Huh?" he asked as Daithi's voice swam into his head. "Er - yes, yes, she did! She wanted to use the feathers as some sort of trim. Quite horrifying." The gull realized that he had an audience. He puffed out his feathers and stood rigidly, assuming an air of what he thought was dignified elegance. Then he took a deep breath and was about to launch into a detailed description of his dangerous and unexpected encounter with the knife-waving woman, out of which he came out as the winner, naturally, when a loud rap from below silenced him.

"If that bloody gull comes near me again, I swear I'll use its beak as an inkstand!" The person inside the crate had apparently calmed down at the sound of voices, however, their desperation had been quickly replaced by anger. Or a dark sense of humour. If there was any at all, that is.

"How kind of you to let me out," the unseen speaker continued, heaving a small sigh. "I won't use the knife. That's only for little feathery creatures with mouths that don't know when to stop. Hm..." the voice faltered for a moment, then sprung up with renewed suspicion. "How many of you are there?"
Daithi Ar Avonford

Daithi had time for a small smile at Aurael before he too disappeared down below with Turi. She was extremely confident, at any rate. Daithi was slightly in awe of her, from what little she'd seen of the human. Aurael seemed likeable enough, but was quieter.

Jonathon, on the other hand...

At that moment, Daithi was distracted from the gull's posturing by the loud rap from below them. It was followed by-

"If that bloody gull comes near me again, I swear I'll use its beak as an inkstand!"

A worthy threat. Daithi respected those who were creative with their threats and insults. It usually demonstrated a creative, intelligent mind.

She looked over to Jonathon "I think she means you", one of her eyebrows quirked upwards. Jonathon must have really annoyed this one.

Daithi then turned to determine how successful clambering down the ladder would be. As usual, it was inconsiderately not halfling-sized. She was pretty certain she wasn't dreaming, now. The only places you'd find halfling-sized furniture and tools would be in a halfling's house, or in a halfling's dream.

Overhearing the last question, she answered down to the trapped individual -

"Three of us, and one feathery creature who I believe would not want his beak to become an inkstand."

To Jonathon- "Coming, inky?"
Last edited by Daithi Ar Avonford on Tue May 23, 2006 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

Inky? Turelie shook her head, half in amusement and half in frustration. Oh, she knew Dai was only being playful, but there was no way of telling how Jonathan would take it. And the girl in the box!

Hold your tongue. Don’t take sides. Need a distraction. Before things degenerated into bruised egos and hissy fits. Turi was the second of three sisters, and no stranger to the role of mediator. She could keep the pair away from each others throats if the squabbling continued, but it would probably be better to let them sort out their own issues, and hope for the best. In the mean time, she turned her attention to her other two companions.

The halfling was having trouble negotiating the ladder, and once she got down would understandably unsure of the situation. “Are you okay, Dai?” she called out. “If you need a hand, let us know. This is kind of confusing so I guess we’ll figure out what’s going on once you get down.”

She then looked towards the achadiel. Turi found it surprising that Aurael was standing back. Coming from a male-dominated family, she’d expected him to take charge of the situation, and was slightly disconcerted at being left to handle things. It wasn’t a problem – for now – but if they found themselves under attack, she knew she would be far out of her depth.

“Aurael? I think I need some help here,” she admitted, surveying the room. Now that she was in it, she felt that something was Not Quite Right. It was too empty. The cage was positioned strangely. “I think we need to – er – secure this room somehow. Look for, uh, traps. And maybe find out what’s behind those doors? I don’t know, what do you think?” She was definitely floundering. Hopefully he would know what to do.

“Sorry, miss,” Turi apologised, finally turning her attention to the box, examining it thoroughly for some sort of opening or lock. “What’s your name, by the way? And would you be able to tell us what you were doing when you got trapped?” With luck, the caged girl’s information would help them work out how to extract her, and also resolve a few of this strange ship’s mysteries…

Post by Guest »

"Look for traps? Ok." Aurael set about looking around the room, "Everything seems to be trapless as far as I can see but maybe Turi's right, you never what nasty surprises these pirates have ready". Inside Aurael still wondered if Ceana and Bran had survived the ships sinking, part of him knew that if he had survived then their was a good chance that they did as well.

He traced his hands carefully along the wall just to see if there were any hidden buttons or something of the sort. He was unable to find anything and so he turned his attention the doors that Turi had mentioned.As he began to open them they creaked slightly, "I don't want anything flying out of here so I'll just have a small peek to check whats inside". He left the doors closed enough so that nothing could fly out yet open just enough for him to have a peek inside, "Let's hope nothing grusome's in here".
Ranhild Pheldroppe

"You bet," Jonathan mumbled to Daithi, lingering slightly longer than necessary at the top of the stairs. "Ink tastes awful." He fluttered down to the halfling's shoulder and stared sullenly at the crate. It must be said that he refrained from his annoying habit of sticking his head into people's faces. After a moment, he jerked his head up and glared at the box. "I completely refuse to be threatened by a mere two-legger who's stupid enough to get locked up in a box!"

"Just wait..." the trapped girl fumed, but stopped, as if cut short. She had evidently overheard Turelie's request. "Great God Pan, is Aurael with you?" she cried. It would be easy to say that her voice was excited, but a careful observer would notice that there was a generous dollop of incredulity mixed in, together with just a pinch of anger. However, the trapped girl quickly calmed down and the crate creaked, as if she had leant against the inside wall. There were odd sounds, and it took the three involuntary sailors a moment to realize the girl was laughing.

"That's great," she stated after a burn or so. "Ceana here. Former barmaid at the Dortenese Scandalous Seamonster." A moment of silence. "Hm... Frankly, I have no idea where I am. Last thing I remember was the battle with these awful pirates. They must've hit me over the head with something and then locked me here."

Footsteps paced round and round inside the box. It was a remarkable feat, as there didn't seem enough space for anyone to make but one step in either direction.

"From what I can tell, there should be a latch somewhere on the outside of this cage," the voice mused out loud. "I've run my hands over the walls and the only place which feels like a door is over here." She knocked on one wall of the box from the inside. "There's a dent in the shape of a door, but, who'd guess it, no handle."

She was right. A small crack traced a rectangular shape in one corner of the box, ending in a primitive-looking metal latch.

Meanwhile, Aurael peeked through both doors. A sharp, salty breath hit him in the face, but it was only the breeze. It always smelled like seawater on a ship. One of the doors opened into another cabin, this one quite a bit larger, and, from what Aurael could see through the narrow crack formed by the open door, fashioned with bunkbeds. Always three atop each other. The other door revealed a dark, dark room, with a single white candle standing in the far corner, its flame flickering slightly.
Daithi Ar Avonford

Having managed to get down the ladder with only the usual amount of difficulty (out of habit brushing aside Turi's offer of assistance), Daithi was a little surprised when Jonathon chose to settle on her shoulder. She was used to the normal, Tether-type gulls. When she was sailing with her family she always tossed out her failed cooking attempts to the few appreciative creatures onboard, or circling nearby. They'd just never come this close before.

"I completely refuse to be threatened by a mere two-legger who's stupid enough to get locked up in a box!"

Absent-mindedly she reached up to stroke Jonathon's chest feathers. Daithi always had had a soft spot for animals and birds. Then she realised this wasn't a normal gull, and might not appreciate the attention. Quickly, she lowered her hand again.

"Great God Pan, is Aurael with you?" cried the voice from the box.

Startled, Daithi looked over to Aurael, who had started investigating the other doors. I really need to find out what exactly is going on here...

She introduced herself further, which only left Daithi even more confused. A Dortenese barmaid, onboard a ship? In a box? But-

"Pirates!?!"

What have I gotten myself into this time?
Last edited by Daithi Ar Avonford on Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

"Would the two of you just behave y-" Turelie started, evidently becoming annoyed, until she heard the girl asked about Aurael. For a moment she looked stunned, then - for just a flicker - upset. A smile emerged quickly enough, but although she was pleased for the achadiel and his friend, there was a slightly forced quality to it.

Otherwise, Turi remained silent, allowing the friends to become reacquainted with one another while she searched for an opening in the box.

"Ah. Found it." Once the door was located, releasing the barmaid was a simple enough matter. "So, the Seamonster, huh?" she asked, reaching down for the latch. "I take it you've had practice with that knife then?"

Good. She would feel a little safer, knowing that at least half of the humanoids in the party were able to wield a weapon. She also had some questions for Ceana... if they ever had the opportunity to speak.

Turi then noticed that poor Daithi now appeared alarmed as well as confused, finally having caught on to the fact they were on a pirate ship. She headed towards the halfling and the seagull, and sat down next to them to talk, reasoning that it must be an uncomfortable experience for one of her height to look upwards all the time.

"Yeah, pirates. Just wait a few moments I think those two can explain much better than I can."

Post by Guest »

OOC:Sorry for the lack of posting, really bad internet and exams are not a good combination :cry:

Aurael's eyes opened wide in amazament as he heard Ceana's name. A large smile broke out onto his face and he rushed towards the cage, "Ceana it's good to see you, you and Bran have had me worried". He reached inside the cage and held her hand tightly, "It's really good to see you". He let go of her hand and stepped back from the cage, "Speaking of Bran...where is he?". He stepped back next to Daithi and crossed his arms, "I hope Bran is'nt...dead".
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

OOC: Apologies for the hyperposting, but while there's no-one here to mod us, we might as well get a few things sorted out :(

All of a sudden, Ceanna seemed to become unusually quiet. Turelie wasn't sure what was wrong, but she sensed that the former barmaid needed a few moments to gather herself before coming out of the box. "Sorry to interrupt, Aurael, but your friend could be anywhere," the book-keeper interjected. "And in case you've forgotten, so are the pirates."

"We'll be right here until you're ready, Ceanna, but there's no point sitting around waiting to be tortured or worse. We need to work out a plan - find some weapons - keep moving," she continued briskly. "And we need to figure where this ship is and how to get off it back to - "

She suddenly stopped, thoughtful.

"How did you all get on it in the first place?"

Post by Guest »

Aurael watched Turi quietly. Her suggestions were sound and he could'nt think of anything else at the time. Not one to argue without good reason he agreed, "Alright..I think we should find some weapons before exploring the rest of the ship". He looked towards the two doors which he'd peeked in earlier, each had their own dangers as one seemed to be the resting qurters for the crew and the only thing he saw in the other was a candle.

He began to pace around the room impatiently when Turi asked,

"How did you all get on it in the first place?"

He looked up at her, "Well Ceanna, Bran and myself were hit by a storm and ended being shipwrecked. The pirates dragged me on board the ship and locked me up when suddenly you appeared. I assume they did the same to Ceanna but I don't know about Daithi...she seemingly dropped from the sky..."

He paused for a moment and then continued, "There's also an old man on board the ship...the pirates are undead but he's alive like us. He said that they needed somone to read some words which would allow to pass on to the afterlife peacefully. The only problem is that if we read these words while out at sea we'll end up drowning...we have to be docked somewhere or close to an island that's near enough to swim to..."

He continued to pace around and began to mutter something, he then began to talk again, " Seeing as you and Daithi appeared out of nowhere is it possible that you guys are just dreaming? After all we in the Aether..."
Daithi Ar Avonford

Half in a daze, Daithi muttered "I was dreaming before I got here. It was like dreams I've had before... then something changed and I landed here...literally." Absent-mindedly she rubbed the sore spot on her head, though the pain hadn't been thought of till that very moment. Surely a fall like that couldn't have been real, then?

Looking to Turi now, desperate hope in her eyes. "You don't think this is real, do you? We're all dreaming this! Or, I'm dreaming of you! Or, someone else is dreaming of all of us..." Not being much of a philosopher, Daithi's mind boggled at the implications, then promptly turned back to more tangible (well, as tangible as they can be on the Aether) concerns. The Aether had always been something the halfling never had time to consider before. There were always more pressing concerns to deal with in the Tether.

"Someone needs to explain to me what we're doing on a pirate ship, risking torture and death... or undeath..." Something seemed to click at that moment. Daithi continued with a confidence the others had not heard from her before. "I say we stay together, watch each others' backs while we explore. There should be a hold where they'll have some extra weapons stored. A dagger or three would be handy..."

Daithi pondered what she'd known of her family's ship, and considered the one she found herself on now. There was a basic layout to ships, so once she knew where she was on this one she should be able to work out where to go from there...

"How many pirates are on board? We need to find out where they are, and what weapons they have. Then, I suppose, we can properly consider what we're up against."

This was the most the others had heard Daithi say, and realising it, she grinned sheepishly at them. "You can tell I was a trader, can't you?"

Post by Guest »

OOC: just so you guys know I'm going to be away until tuesday.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

OOC: No probls

IC:

"Well Ceanna, Bran and myself were hit by a storm and ended being shipwrecked. The pirates dragged me on board the ship and locked me up when suddenly you appeared. I assume they did the same to Ceanna but I don't know about Daithi...she seemingly dropped from the sky..."

“Oh, that’s right, isn’t it?” Turi said sheepishly, realising she’d already asked this question before. It seemed a significant question anyhow, and it prompted a line of thought in Aurael that led to some interesting conclusions, while providing a quick explanation for Daithi about what was going on.

She grinned as the halfling spoke up, suddenly pleased to have her along. Turi appreciated the little one's practicality - a trait that did not come naturally to the book-keeper, although she could occasionally achieve it in her calmer moments. And it seemed that Dai was familiar with weaponry as well. The girl hated to admit it, but she was starting to feel a bit useless compared to all these adventuring types.

"You can tell I was a trader, can't you?"

"Something we have in common then. Sort of. My family are traders, but most of us keep our feet dry. Good thing you dropped in on us. We might need someone who knows their way around a ship before this is over."

She leaned back and ran the conversation over in her mind again.

"Once we're prepared, I think we should try to find the old man and ask him a few more questions. He might know if other dreamers have popped up on the ship before, and what happened to them. I'm not sure if Dai and I are in any real danger, considering how you managed to survive your fall." Turi nodded at the halfling, then looked over at Aurael and Ceanna.

“You two are different, though. You got here physically. But how?” She frowned. “Some sort of portal? In the middle of the ocean?” Who would have put one there? Perhaps it was some sort of natural phenomenon. Or perhaps…

“Do you think the ship might create it’s own portals? Or be a portal itself?”

A gleam appeared in her eyes as she imagined the possibilities. "You know, I'm not sure if there's a pirate on in the world who deserves a proper afterlife. Supposing we manage to keep you alive, what would you think our chances are of commandeering this tub and sending them to the ocean floor?"

No, practicality did not come naturally to the book-keeper at all. Did it need to? As Aurael had said, they were in the Aether... [/quote]

Post by Guest »

Aurael watched quietly as Turi went off coming up with different theories. Eventually it became to much for him, "Turi! Calm down, if you keep this up your head'll explode". He laughed jokingly and sat against one of the walls, "If we did try to commandeer the ship we'd have tremendous resistance, also we don't know what'll happen to us while we're in the aether. We might end up finding some land but then we might be faced with an even greater danger".

"I'm not too sure about the ship making portals for itself. The old man said it dissapears into the aether in daylight and then returns to the tether at night".

He sighed and started talking again, " The old man is probably with a bunch of pirates anyway so getting to him definatly won't be easy...ecspecially with a group this big. If we want to find him we might have to split up and then somehow find each other again". He growled and rubbed his head vigourously, "I should never have taken the map from the old sailor, If I had'nt I'd still be in Dort!"

Post by Guest »

I'm gonna be on holiday from this Saturday to next Saturday so I'll try and get a post up next sunday. Sorry for any inconvenience :)
Ranhild Pheldroppe

It could be speculated as to what an unbiased observer would have thought upon looking on the scene. A badly lit room with an open crate in the middle and an odd gathering of people leaning against walls or pacing around, at different stages of getting a proper grasp of the situation they found themselves in.

It was odd.

"None the less, I'm really glad I'm here with you," squeaked the seagull perched on Daithi's shoulder. His thoughts had been wondering on completely different trails. Jonathan loved being with his newly found companions - he could listen and pretend to understand, though his little brain was incapable of untangling the coiled information he received.

Ceana the ex-barmaid seemed to overcome her dislike of the talking bird. A cold glance in his direction sufficed and she kept quiet for the moment, walking around the chamber and stretching her limbs. Bruises flecked her skin here and there, but she didn't seem to feel them anymore. She had grasped Aurael's hand tightly before, as if hungry for any kind of contact with a living human being, but had quickly let go and stumbled out of the cage.

"Thanks for letting me out," she said finally, sitting down with against the wall, facing all three of her rescuers. "From what I've heard, you know way more about this ship than I do. I don't know anything about Bran, Aurael. When the ship went down, I lost both of you and just swam on and on until I almost drowned. At the last moment, I found a ship. I climbed aboard and hid, but there was a sneaky young man with a rat's face who prowled the boards all the time. He managed to stumble right into my hiding place!"

She balled her hands into fists at the memory. "As you say - er, sorry, I didn't quite catch your name there?" She smiled apologetically at Turelie. "Well, as you say, I've really had to use the knife before. It didn't do me much good. There were just too many burly men running to help that youngster. Would you believe the captain tried to have his way with me? However, I slashed a few faces just in that moment, he started seething with anger and had me thrown into this crate instead. I think I bashed my head around that time."

Ceana's voice stayed oddly level and flat, as if she squeezed all emotions out of it. In a way, it was more unsettling than her former hysterical fits. She listened to the Achadhiel's explanation.

"Undead? By Pan's horned head, I like that!" she said un-enthuasiastically. "These words you're talking about - where are they written? And this place - for me at least - is real, Aether or no Aether. If you lassies are just dreaming, then you're well off. I don't think you can be killed in dreams - or can you?"

She shrugged to the "number of pirates" question. When they had fought her, it seemed like there were tens of them. That was rubbish, though, you didn't have such a big crew on a pirate ship. It would be too hard to divide the loot. At least that was what Ceana's sense of economy told her, and she was sure it was only a very rough guess.

"I agree with you, Miss Halfling," she grinned, running a finger across the blade of her knife. "We should find some weapons. Do you know where they could be stored? For example at the front of the ship, or in the back..." She cringed. Ceana was a land-dweller, prone to seasickness and happy she was able to drift atop the waves without sinking. Her knowledge of boat parts was very small. "I think the gull could help us. Why doesn't it fly around the boat and see if there's anyone onboard? Out of the pirates, that is."

"It," scoffed Jonathan, ruffling his chest feathers. "As if it would hurt that human if it said please."

"All right, all right," Ceana threw up her hands. "Pretty please with sugar on top, go search for those bloody pirates!"

"Now I'm definitely not going," said Jonathan with the calm voice of a pipe-smoking stoic and settled down more comfortably on Daithi's shoulder, snuggling against her neck. Ceana shook her head.

"If we did manage to steer this boat, though," she added to Turelie's train of thought, visibly excited, "We could have the quickest means of travelling in Tazlure! Imagine it, a boat that gets from one end of the world to the other in just one night. If only we just found a way of telling it where to materialize the next day!"

The girl seemed to be filled with energy at this scheming. She jumped up, rubbing her hands together.

"All right! Let's go and explore," she said, striding towards the room with the candle in it. "Right now, I want to know what's a lighted tallow candle doing in the middle of an empty room..." She disappeared into the cabin next door. A flicker of silence and then a hesitant voice called the rest of the party over.

The red-haired woman was standing a few feet away from the candle, staring at it incredulously. The room was divided in half by a strange metal mesh, which vibrated gently, making it uncomfortable to the touch. The loops of the mesh were small enough not to let anyone put a hand through, but one could see to the other side of the room well enough. The mesh reached from floor to ceiling and was planted firmly in both wooden walls.

The candle was not the only object in the cabin. It was planted in a candle-stand, which was very shallow and positioned awkwardly on the edge of a table. The whole thing was set up in a manner that would allow the candle to fall down from the table as soon as it burnt down about fifteen centimeters. A pile of kindling and wood, glistening with some oily substance, was prepared straight below the table. The logic behind the picture was evident - as soon as the candle would shorten, it would tip over and set fire to the kindling. The fire would quickly move to the whole ship.

"Great Pan," breathed Ceana. Even Jonathan squinted at the candle in alarm.
Daithi Ar Avonford

OOC: Sorry guys, I've been having a bit of difficulty coming up with something good for Daithi. If you guys want to push ahead, that's fine. I'll try and write something next week...
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

"I'm inclined to agree," Turi added.

This did not bode well at all for Aurael and Ceanna. Who would set up a thing like this? And why? Two ideas rose to mind.

"It could be some sort of timekeeping device," she offered tentatively. "Or something to do with the transition back to the waking world."

She looked around for any way to get closer - to get through the mesh through the wall beyond.

OOC: hi guys, sorry about doing this just as soon as ran gets back, but i need to cut my posting commitments right down. if i don't drop out completely, it'll be once every 2-3 weeks, at best.

Post by Guest »

Following the rest of the group aurael kept watch from the back just in case some of the pirates appeared. He was in his own world at the moment wondering where the old man could possibly be or even if he was still alive.

Aurael looked into the room with the candle unworriedly.He touched the mesh but it seemed as though there was no way thorough it. He was beginning to get irritated by all the traps and problems they were encountering on this ship and the only thing he wanted to do was get back to dry land.

"Hey Jonathan could you go through the mesh and push the candle back onto the table? After all you were able to go through a wall..."
Ranhild Pheldroppe

As soon as Aurael's fingers brushed against the mesh, sparks burst from the twisted wire and heavy vibrations ran through his flesh, almost stopping his heart. It was some kind of a shock. The Achadhiel hadn't touched the mesh for more than a flicker and yet his fingers were left bruised and burnt.

Jonathan hadn't notice. He was already flying towards the dividing wall, looking for the best place to fly through. Straight in front of the obstacle, he twisted his left wing so it extended in front of his body, and dived straight into the mesh.

There was a crash. A crack and a plopping sound. Jonathan ended in a miserable heap of gray feathers at Turi's feet. He was silent for a moment and then carefully freed his head from beneath some stray plumage.

"Sorry, that didn't quite work out," he said, clambering to his feet. His tiny face screwed up as if in pain, but he was unable to maintain any kind of mimic for longer than a split-flicker (it's quite hard to make faces with a beak protruding from the middle of your visage). The gull took a few hops forward, dragging behind him a pile of feathers.

"And it's goodbye to flying," Jonathan groaned. "My wing's broken. I had no idea there was some sort of magical impulse in this mesh. I haven't come to the magic-shield level yet."

"I don't like this at all," grumbled Ceana. "We evidently can't get to it from here. Maybe from a different side? It could really be a time-keeping device... Perhaps saying how much time we've got left until we materialize again? Why the threat of fire, in that case?"

She shuddered, and looked around as if trying to locate an unseen spectator. "Maybe the candle's supposed to get us doing something. Like, Put the candle out before it sets fire to the ship and burns you as well. I don't know. Anyway, let's get out of here. We can't continue through here - maybe we can return ondeck or go through the other door?"

OOC: I hope we'll still be able to continue the thread. I can always arrange a sidethread with Daithi and Aurael until you're able to post again :)
Daithi, if you get stuck, drop me a PM... We can figure something out!

Return to “Erulzat Archives”