Jadmai at The Crying Dragon Sam 26 TT

Moderator: Mods

Jadmai
Civus

Jadmai at The Crying Dragon Sam 26 TT

Post by Jadmai »

Across the top of the dome is the gleaming white skeleton of a dragon. Held in place by spikes through its ribs, it still appears majestic and fearful, even long after its death. From its eye sockets, down its skull, running down the dome to either side of the door, are two black trails.

Inside is a large common room, well lit by lanterns that hang from the ceiling. On the far side of the common area, directly across from the door, stands a well stocked bar and a bartender with deep brown skin and golden hoops through his ears. To the right is a stairwell leading up above the common room, and to the left stands a small stage, currently standing empty.

In between it all lies the inhabitants of the tavern. Scattered about on tables and chairs, men and women drink, eat and converse loudly. The group is diverse, more foreigners can be seen than natives of Terra Incognita.

Jadmai made his way into the Crying Dragon. He was quite pleaed to see all the different types of people, and even scanned the room for other Dark Adhiel.

As he made his way causally to the bar, wondering a little if he drew any stares, or if indeed,. this place was this diverse as it seemed.

He sat at the bar, and demurely ordered an ale, and took long drinks of it, letting it settle in his stomach before the next large gulp. Again, he nodded as if ordering another drink, but instead he spoke up.

"I was wondering if the owner of the establishment was avaible. Could you tell him that there is someone out here who has also met the man who makes the sunrise and set."
"...war is the last flower on the evil tree."-- Betrand Russel
Ilaria da'Margeir.
Special Branch

Post by Ilaria da'Margeir. »

Damien and Roland strolled casually into the Crying Dragon. With a nod to Gharibu, Damien sat Roland down at a table. "Now, I want you to watch out for anything funny that goes on. I want you to let me know if anything, anything at all seems strange or out of place to you." Orders given, Damien strolled into the back room. Not even a flicker later, unintelligible shouts could be heard from the back room, followed by a thud and a low moan.

While all of this was going on, unbeknowst to Roland, a man sat down at the table behind him. The cool blade of a dagger was pressed up against Roland's throat in the blink of an eye. "You know, a hefty sum of money has been put on your head," a deep voice whispered in his ear.
Now we gotta make the best of it, improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, shit happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it.

Veritas vos liberabit

Image is copyright Electra and www.project812.com
Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

Even as the blade bit into his neck, all Roland could think of was not fear, but anger. Anger that he'd let himself been rendered so utterly helpless so quickly. What if this man had wanted him dead, not just threatened?

sure but it gives you a taste of your own mortality, doesn't it?

"No, but thank you for informing me." Roland's voice was even and unafraid, almost toneless, "Alway's nice to know your valued."

He slowly put his hands by his sides, fingers moving imperceptibly towards his blades. He thought if he was lucky he might be able to force the chair back and catch his assailant off balance, and if he was to die, by the One Roland was going to die with a sword in his hands.

But until then...

"Now, would you tell me what in the damn Nether you're doing, other than threaten a man that, if I'm worth so much, you should be killing?"
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

As the strangers paid him little heed as they came in, Jadmai paid little heed back. However, Jadmai's shoulders slumped forward as he heard the noises coming from the back room.

Jadmai sat for a moment in silent contemplation a noir finger running over a mug he found in front of him.

Well, this is just my shit luck. That's probably my contact there getting beat senseless, and I've got some poor bastard with a blade on his neck behind me.

The drunk adhiel teetered his way to his feet, grabbing his mug in front of him. He tilted his head back to hide his eye as if he didn't see the situtation of the two men, and steered wide of the pair.

However, the dark adheil hadn't touched any spirits and was quite sober. As soon as he was passed the two, he expertly and quickly unsheathed one of his stilettos, and with one quick lung he made for the top of assaulting man's head with handle of his blade. His blades made from a royal smithy, Jadmai did not doubt that blade would carry enough force to subdue the man. Yet, he did not want the assaulted man dying with him there, so as an extra precaution at the same time he lunged for the armed man, he reached for back of the tunic of the victim and yanked him back towards the man, hopefully getting a headbutt out of the motion, but the main goal was to get him to the ground to safety.

Jadmai was confident in his skill (yet still always cautious) with his blades and that he could get this situation over we all parties alive...however a few lumps might be in order.

In any event, Jadmai remember the cardinal rule of blade fighting, and made sure he was out of the armed mans reach at all times except for his quick lunge, but after that, he would quickly move himself out of range again.

Post by Guest »

“It’s simple really,” the man with the knife whispered into Roland’s ear, “this is your chance to counter off . . .” The man’s voice trailed away into nothing as the butt of Jadmai’s knife crunched into the back of his skull. Roland felt his body yanked at the same time the man’s voice cut off. It was an instant of fear. With his back turned Roland had no idea that the one who pulled him was not the thug but rather an interloping dark elf with uncanny agility. The result, though, was the same. Roland and his stool tipped backward landing sprawled on the floor with his head unceremoniously resting in the now unconscious thug’s crotch. At least he wasn't hurt.

Looking up from his prone position, Roland could see the dark skinned adhiel a few paces away. His eyes also caught a flicker of motion from the direction he’d been previously facing. Where most patrons had scattered at the commotion, these three men were now standing and walking towards the scene.

~

Jadmai landed well out of the armed thug’s range. The man crumpled like a paper doll and the “victim” he grabbed went with, tumbling to the floor along with his stool. The patrons seated in all the nearby tables dispersed quickly, grabbing their drinks and moving to a less “noisy” part of the room. All of the patrons, though, except three who remained and began advancing on the dark adhiel. They were all human men, all armed. One held a club while the others sported daggers. They seemed prepared for the conflict. The man who had gone after the “victim” was not alone.

Jadmai also noticed another man approach from the direction of the bar. He was dark skinned, bald and his face bore a look of irritation rather than anger. Loose robes, secured with an ornate chain, covered what, in the adhiel’s opinion, were a very powerful frame. He seemed out of immediate range which lead the adhiel to deem the man non-threatening. Yet, instinctively, Jadmai knew the man was an experienced combatant ready to intervene.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

Roland is still reeling from knowing a man has a knife at his throat when he's sent actually reeling. The man's voice had trailed into nothing after a few words and before he knew what that meant-

- he had his ass on the floor and his lap in the guy's crotch.

Well that was unexpected.

But he reacted quickly, an ability honed in combat. In that, the slow man was often a dead one. He spun to his feet and took in the room, noting the three men advancing quickly on them with weapons in their hands.

Threat.

Roland grabbed his sword out of its sheath and pulled his dagger with his other hand, holding them ready in combat stance. Then he noticed Gharibu rushing towards them, face like thunder, and somehow that relieved him a little.

He turned, and finally saw his saviour. A tall, lithe dark elf.

The One, a Dark Elf. I've only ever read about-

No time for idle thoughts now, just actions. He locks eyes with the elf and nods to him, speaking quickly as all four men from both directions start closing the gap.

"Thank you. I owe you."

That commitment made, in earnest if not eloquently, Roland turned back to the three armed men, and braced himself.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Jadmai put away his stiletto slightly and took a defensive stance, "Hopefully, you can repay me later." Is all he said quickly.

Then, he looked towards the other men, "This isn't something that should be done right now. At least one of us could die, and when that happens nobody will get what they want--no counter offer, no money, and if I die you'll have an ambassdor's blood on your hands--could you imagine your bosses' displeasure when they become privy to that information."

Jadmai slowly drew his dagger, and spun it in his hand, to show the oncoming men, "Look like anything less than what's made in a royal smithy?" Jadmai drew another of the four of the matching set, and showed it another manner, "Part of a matching set. You don't want to do this, collect your man, and leave. We can settle this another time."

Jadmai spoke quickly, and watched for any sudden moves. Now that he had his blades out, he spun them quickly back so he was holding the hilts. He held one with a an overhanded grip, and one with an underhand grip. Holding one at chest level, and the other at his waist.

"I will only react to your move. But I urge you to collect your man and leave."

Jadmai tried to caculate his odds, looked for the exits should he have to run. He had mastered his blades, but he was not indestructable, and he vauled his life greatly. He had a slight plan, involving a technique that involved throwing his blades at the chest of his attackers, and counterattacking while the poor sap was dodging the blades.

Jadmai made a quick look to his new allies, said a quick silent prayer, and waited for the thugs reactions.

My divine Moonlady, I only wanted to preserve life. Please persuade these souls towards peace and reason, enter their souls, and show them enough pain has been caused today.

With sharp adhiel eyes, Jadmai watched and waited.[/i]

Post by Guest »

The three men continued to advance, though they paused at the adhiel's word of warning. The leader, or more accurately, the one in front of the other two smacked his club against his meaty palms.

"We've no quarrel with you stranger," said the thug to Jadmai, his beady eyes showing no fear. "That is, unless you've got a price on your head as big as 'e does."

The dagger wielding men, one with a dark swarthy complexion and the other ruddy and sunburned, spread out to flank their club wielding companion. The swarthy one moved close enough to the unconscious man's boot and gave him a swift kick.

"Fool's out cold," he spat, a sly grin on his face. "Mean's there's mo' to split."

"See," said the leader, "we're just businessmen. We just want the boy, is that so wrong? We'll even take him out of the bar so Gharibu here doesn't have to worry about nuthin'. Sound fair? So instead of sticking your nose where it ain't wanted, just turn around and let us take the boy with us. We don't get no ambassador's blood on our hands, and you don't get your fragile little skull crushed in."
Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

Roland takes in the words, the unspoken threats and negotiations in quickly, concentrating more on keeping track of his three attackers. And now there was no doubt they were after him.

Damn Harkhebi, and Ramessu.

"This is my fight friend," Roland moves a little to his left, keeping the swarthy man and the leader in front of him while keeping an eye on the sunburnt one at his right. His eyes flicker to the adhiel and he continued, voice clear and hard.

"You needn't die over some quarrel not of your own. Stay out of it. They want me-" Roland grips his weapons ready, blood starting to pump, combat instincts taking over as he prepares to kill, "-they can come and get me."

And he waits, anticipating a bloodbath. He doesn't want to involve this adhiel in danger of his own making; that simply wasn't right. However, he has to admit, he wouldn't mind him on his side. He's obviously a master with small blades, able of taking these three thugs apart in seconds he's guessing. But if he does not, then it's Roland's fight.

But that's the way you like it, isn't it? More for you...

Roland forces the voice from his head and his eyes flicker over the three advancing men, ready to meet his fate.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Jadmai looked at Roland, then gave a sidelong glance at the leader.

Take him. He wanted to convey silently and stealthly without words.

However, Jadmai just turned towards the leader and shook his head, "Good, you understand, no ambassador's blood on your hands." Jadmai turned to who seemed to be the owner, "I apologize," He said beginning to sheath his daggers, "for the trouble I have caused in your inn."

Jadmai sighed, blades slowly going into their sheathes', "But these men must die."

On the word die Jadmai quickly pulled those two daggers which were half way home, out and again, and with a natural and learned quickness he snapped his wrist and extended his arms, throwing the blades at the two flanking thugs chests'. He was not an expert at throwing his blades, however, at this distance, and aiming at the chest or lower he liked his chances.

The dark adhiel would have loved for both men to go down with daggers protruding from their chests', the act also served as a feint. Jadmai would follow with quick steps the dagger he threw with his left--quick drawing his two remaining daggers. The idea was to wait for the man's dodge, then as soon as he started it, Jadmai would attack in a melee fashion.

If Jadmai saw the beginnings of a dodge to the left or right of the thrown blade, he would simulataneously with both hands give backhand slashes towards where the man was, this way no matter which way the man dodged, Jadmai had blade slicing at him from both directions.

If the man's intial reaction was to duck, Jadmai would carefully sidestep to the left, away from the leaders reach, and strike down in the middle of the man's back with an overhand strike.

It was an attack and a counter rolled into one, it was Jadmai's best tatic to end a fight early: knife throw, follow, attack the reaction.

Jadmai had to be quicker, otherwise he knew his slice would be nothing but in vain, and if that was the case he would make sure to stay to his left, avoiding the center man.

If Jadmai failed in first tactic, he would take that step to the left, and took the stance he had before the melee started (one blade over hand to attack with, one underhand to defend with.)

The dark adhiel hoped that Roland would take the center man, just so he wouldn't have to deal with the head of that club...side stepping away or not.

Jadmai made his attack, and listened more than watched for either the whoosh of air, or sound of flesh being opened up, so he could more quickly follow up with another attack or move on to the next thug.
Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

Roland and the adhiel's eyes locked for that one precious second, and the soldier knew a hint when he saw one. In a situation like this, more was said with looks than words.

I will.

Suddenly the adhiel had sent two daggers flying at the two men to the side, whipping past Roland so quickly he could almost see his reflection in one of them at it hurtled towards the chest of the man on his right.

Roland doesn't waste a second. He can't afford to.

He raises his sword and take a few very quick steps forward before bringing it crashing down across the leader, aiming to his him squarely on the left shoulder. The sheer force of the blow and the sharpness of the blade could almost cut him in half.

With his other hand his grips his dagger and gets ready to swing it towards his belly. He's guessed that this man is not just a petty thug: he has some skills. Therefore, he might see his sword swing coming and block.

And when he does, Roland will jam his dagger into his belly, right up to the hilt, and gut him like a sheep.

The men to his left and right are the adheil's problem, for now, but he's confident the elf can handle them.

Time to die.[/i]

Post by Guest »

Jadmai's feint and lunge had caught the flanking thugs unaware. The one on the right dodged successfully, ducking behind a table. The one on the left though, was not so lucky as a dagger stuck solidly into his shoulder above his knife hand. And then, in a blur, the dark adhiel flew toward him blades outstretch. The thug was clearly surprised . . .first by the short blade sticking out of his shoulder and second by the charging elf slashing at his chest. The blades bit through leather, cloth and then Jadmai felt the soft give of flesh. The man's scream rang painfully in the elf's ears and then he fell backward clutching his wounds.

Where Jadmai's quickness had provided him an advantage, it had worked against Roland. The leader saw the blades fly toward his companions and knew that the time for talk was over. When Roland raised his blade to strike, the leader rushed toward him. Roland never got a chance to swing his mighty strike. The leader's shoulder struck him squarely in the sternum, knocking him back to the floor and knocking the wind out of him. Struggling for breath, Roland could see the man continue past him in the direction of the door.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

For long flickers Roland gulped down air like water, lungs empty after that bull-built man had run into him. But only a few of them later he reacted quickly, wasting no time on curses.

He scrambled to his feet and paid no more attention to the leader: he was running for the door, and therefore out of the equation. Roland thought briefly of pursuing but it could always be a trap. Instead he directed his attention to the last man behind the table.

Gripping his swords he stalked over to it, eyes now on fire with anger, and more than a little humiliation.

Hardly the actions worthy of a Dragonskeep trooper, wasn't it Roland?
Mekaraz shuts the vicious little voice up and closes on the man behind the table. Not willing to make the same mistake twice, he eschews a massive swing in favour of a sudden stab.

He holds the sword in front of him and jabs it furiously at the man, dagger ready in his left hand to stab from the side or above should he deflect it or try to move away.

Post by Guest »

Seeing his leader run and his comrade dying on the floor was too much for the thug facing Roland. With a look toward his mate he moved toward the door and flung his dagger toward Roland.

His timing was unfortunate, he'd tried to catch his opponent off guard as Jadmai had done but the thug did not recognize Roland's change in tactic. He spun wide just catching his thigh on the point of Roland's thrusting sword causing a bright red gash on his leggings. Roland though had little time to savor his successful strike. A dagger had been flung directly at his chest.

The dagger was poorly thrown but its aim was true. It's arc took it over Roland's sword and directly toward his sternum.
Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

Roland let instinct take over the second the dagger left the man's hand, a twisted to his left and to the floor, dropping like a stone. But as he dropped he flung his own dagger at the wounded man's chest, an awkward throw but made only a few feet away from him.

He could not see how the elf was doing, but knew that one man was dead and another fled, leaving only this final assailant to deal with.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

OOC: Sorry guys, I have been extremely sick over the past week. But I am back now.

Jadmai had been crouched down to look underneath the table at the damage he had done. The man had hit the ground, that much Jadmai expected, but was he dead?

The wound was large, and Jadmai didn't seem to think that this fellow would cause any trouble even if he was still alive.

The nimble dark adhiel lept up onto a table overlooking the thug he had possibly slain, and looked down on him with a cocked head. Then, he looked towards Roland. A dagger flying at his chest. Jadmai didn't have time to tell the man to be evasive, though he watched as he fell to the ground, trying to avoid the dagger.

Don't die on me now, that would really defeat the purpose of this whole fiascal.

The thug was making his way towards the door, and Jadmai would let him leave. He's scared, Jadmai thought, and he'll do anything to leave, so Jadmai decided letting the thug leave would be the thing to do.

Perched on top of the table like some sort of bird, Jadmai lept down to the man he had sliced open. He stepped on his shoulder near the first wound the dark adhiel had caused and checked to see if he recoiled in pain, if not not Jadmai would retrive his blade.

Glancing at the bar as he was standing over the man for a flicker he mumbled to himself, "I could have swore I ordered a drink...service is everything."

Post by Guest »

OOC: Hope you're feeling better :)

IC:

Roland hit the floor solidly and the fleeing man's dagger sailed harmlessly toward the bar. Someone would have a decent souvenir of the night's activity. Roland's own dagger met a similar fate. Though he could not see it as he jumped to the ground, he heard his blade clang against a support post and rattle to the floor.

His target had only to duck slightly and within a few steps was out the door. He was followed shortly by the leader who stopped to throw an angry look at the crowd.

"Run, dog," shouted Gharibu, "you've had yer fun for tonight."

The man scowled and fled. Gharibu moved between the tossed chairs and upturned tables to stand above the prone Roland. He had a look of amusement on his face. His eyes glinted with what could only be called glee.

"You know, friend Roland," he chuckled, "it is much easier to fight on your feet than on your back."

~

The man groaned loudly as Jadmai stepped on his shoulder. His wounds bled profusely and he might be dead soon but he wasn't yet. He opened his eyes slightly to see what had caused this shot of pain and his gaze met the dark adhiel's. His face was a mixture of hate and desperation. He knew the adhiel could not and most likely would not save him but instinctively he sought mercy from his tormentor.
Last edited by Guest on Fri May 12, 2006 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

Roland smiles crookedly at Gharibu, trying to ignore the searing humiliation he's feeling. The One, what a debacle?! The damn adhiel had done more than him. At least his blow had actually struck its mark.
"You're a funny man, Gharibu."
Suddenly he remembers Damien, remembers the whole reason they walked back into the Dragon anyway. The mercenary scrambles to his feet, weapons still in hand, and walks quickly towards the back room. He'd head that low moan and thud, and like an idiot had ignored it.
But not now. Now he had to make sure his comrade was safe.
He reaches the room and holsters his sword, preferring the smaller blade for the smaller room, and turns the handle.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Jadmai pulled his dagger from the man that he was standing over--Jadmai not an expert in healing, didn't need to be, this man would die soon if he didn't get a healer.

The Dark Adhiel looked around at the common room, "If any one cares if this man live or die, send for a healer now--else the thug dies."

The master bladesmen sighed, and shook his dagger free of some blood. He was going to say something to Roland, but then caught a glimpse of him going to the backroom.

Grunts and thuds coming from their earlier too Jadmai remembered. He also remembered that he was worried that those sounds might be coming from the man he was supposed to meet here.

Shaking his head slightly, he decided he might have true interest in the back room, so he kept a dagger out, and slowly and silently made his way towards this backdoor.

When he would reach it, he would only just let his eyes glimpse inside to see what ruckus was going down.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Roland, I thought you were going back to past tense.

IC: Roland made it to the back room, pushed open the door and stepped into the dark, smoke filled room lined with the velvety curtained alcoves. Low burning candles gave the Crying Dragon’s exclusive, private area an eerie orange darkness. Several pairs of eyes, reflecting in the strange light, stared at Roland as he marched into the room with his dagger drawn. The room was oddly quiet. Whatever had happened was over.
All but two of the curtained alcoves were open, with most patrons enjoying their select drinking club in the open. In one corner, there appeared to be two figures, one slumping against the wall.

From behind him, Jadmai could see the poorly lit room and the soft glows of candles. He could not make out the shadowy figures enjoying their anonymity in the private atmosphere. The room was before him was calm and the room behind him was beginning to get back to normal. His sharp eyes even caught a drink resting on the bar where he’d been standing earlier. But what caught his attention most, though, was the sound of booted feet. They were approaching from the direction of the door. He overheard words next.

“Hello Harkhebi,” came the voice of the man Roland had named Gharibu. There was acid in his tone. “Word of our excitement has spread quickly.”
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Jadmai laughed softly to himself as he caught the last bit of Roland charging into a nice quiet room.

I'll admit, the man can make an entrance. Jadmai thought as he considered the two entrances the human had made so far.

Deciding to sheath his daggers and looking around to make sure he had all his precious and priceless blades, Jadmai reasoned that Roland had his own business to attend to at the moment, and he would let him to do so in his own private time, but he knew that he still wanted to talk to him before he left. Jadmai was here looking for a criminal element, and he found it, and someone who must be involved with it somehow, and he wouldn't let him just wander away.

Gharibu seemed like a goodman, so this new fellow he was dealing with gave Jadmai caution. He would go to where his drink was set, and sit down. He decided to ask Gharibu flat out where Taymar could be found, and then he would sit and listen to what this newcomer was all about.

The dark adhiel raised his tankard to Gharibu in thanks, and spoke up where a lull in the conversation was, "Gharibu, does Taymar still own this place? Or is he at least still around?" Jadmai would wait patiently for an answer, dedicating himself to his drink, and the words of the newcomer.
Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

Oh, this is just what I need...

Roland heard the name Harkhebi but stopped only briefly to process it in his brain. The man was a cockroach, but a powerful one, and Roland would give him time when he wanted to. But now, he needed to find Damien.

He looked towards Gharibu, dagger still in his hand and his other edging towards his axe. With Harkhebi and his guard, he would need it.

"Where is the man I came in with?" He spoke clearly and directly to Gharibu, no time for searching, only time to find out facts, and now. "Tell me Gharibu!"

Out the corner of his eye he sees the small, lithe form of the adhiel enter the room. Roland did not know him, or even why he'd saved Roland's life, but the young mercenary felt better knowing he was with him.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Since I didn't hear back on the PMs, I'll run with it.

IC: Gharibu looked peeved at the appearance of Harkhebi but was planning on ignoring him to answer Jadmai's question. His reply was stopped short by Roland's shouting.
"Tell me Gharibu!"
The door to the back room slammed shut to accentuate his order. The room, just coming back to an acceptable level of noise, grew silent again.

Gharibu looked incredulously at Roland. This was not the tone with which he was accustomed to being addressed, least of all by Roland. Gharibu's eyes flicked to the dagger and the axe and Roland could see the confusion on his face. The look clearly said - You're not seriously threatening me are you? His eyes narrowed as he tried to comprehend causing his massive shaved head to crease deeply.

"Or you'll what Mekaraz?" Harkhebi interjected, words laced with venom. "Assault him like you did the poor fellows in the street?" Harkhebi and his two goons moved to the middle of the common room. They were dressed almost identically. Each wore a hardened leather breastplates over his tunic and a wide belt, on which hung a short sword. Each of the men with Harkhebi also held a halberd with a distinctly non-Sabata feel. All of the equipment looked new and unused but neither Roland or Jadmai had any doubt these men would love to try it out.

"I come in here," Harkhebi continued, "on the report of an attempted robbery. Two men say a lad with an axe tried to take their purses when they tried to collect a gambling debt. Now, I thought the story groundless. Two drunks trying to get revenge for losing their shirts." He looked down at the two bodies on the floor. The first one knocked unconscious by Jadmai stirred briefly as if in recognition of the once over. Harkhebi sniffed in disgust and glared at Roland.

"But now I'm not so sure," mused Harkhebi with a sly smile. "Two men lie here dying for all I know, and the only one here with a weapon out is you Roland." As he spoke he moved to the bleeding man and knelt by his side. He placed his fingers on his neck and shook his head. The man was dead, lying in a pool of his own blood. Harkhebi reached up and closed the thug's eyes.

"This looks bad for you Roland," said Harkhebi smiling. "Murder, technically speaking, is against the law in Sabata. Do you have anything to say for yourself? Or should I just take the word of the men outside?"

~

The bartender watched the scene with Harkhebi and Roland play out with only a mild interest. This was the Crying Dragon. It was a good day if someone didn't get killed here. Everyone was used to it. If someone got caught, it was all the more entertaining, but no one really cared. Murder, technically speaking, was just part of life on this end of the desert.

He was not a dull witted man or even a hard of hearing one. He just had select interests. Too many thugs, pirates, con men and thieves had sat at his bar to make him perk his ears up for their crazy stories. But there were still a few things that did pique his curiosity. And one of those were people dropping the name of the Dragon's owner at full volume in the middle of a crowded room.

Foreigners invariably thought Gharibu owned the joint but Gharibu was an employee, albeit one with more benefits than most, just like the bartender. The bar's owner, of course, was Taymar. This was hardly a secret. In fact, any local could tell you so. Few, though, ever discussed it. Taymar was a private man who enjoyed only a select few as company. Those individuals, with an invitation, were welcome to enjoy the exclusive section of his inn where discretion was always more valuable than gold.

"Of course he still owns the place," sneered the bartender in a whisper. He did not want to interrupt Boss Harkhebi in the middle of his performance. "Did you think he just up and died without telling anyone?" He chuckled to himself. "But he doesn't just see anyone who knows his name, and something tells me a chap like you isn't top on his list of charity visits for this evening. If you want to see him, you'll need Gharibu to help."
Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

OOC: Bollocks! Sorry G, forgot to check my messages before I posted. Yes, I'm in the back room, with Gharibu.

IC: Roland knew a set-up when he smelt one, and he was fairly sure that's what happened here tonight. Three men attack him, plead self-defence and then get the law to finish their job. Either that or they really were trying to get the bounty on him and just turned their bad situation into one where Roland died either way.

Real question is, who sent them?

"I came here with a friend. Three men attacked me and..." Roland paused as he spoke to Harkhebi, voice calm and unafraid. But he stopped just before he mentioned the adhiel. No reason to drag him into this.

"... and they lost. It was self-defence, Harkhebi, and as much as I know you would love to have my head on a pike, I haven't done anything to warrant it."

And there's no way in the Nether I'm going back into a cell...

The young soldier turned to a glaring Gharibu, face softening briefly. He spoke hurriedly, knowing he had mere moments before Harkhebi made his move.

"I meant no threat nor offence my friend, but I need to find that man. He is my comrade." His eyes bored into the tall, muscular hostess'. "I would not raise my blade to a man who did not warrant it."

That said he turned back to Harkhebi and his men, gripping the weapons in his hands tight and ready. He guessed that the Chief of Guards was going to try and kill him anyway, whether of not he'd broken the law. Roland stops himself snorting at that thought.

Like he really cares about the law?
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

OOC: I meant to talk to Gharibu, but that's all good.

"Well, barkeep, I actually meant that for Gharibu--but thanks for the information."

Jadmai swished the liquid in his tankard as he thought about the barkeep doubting his station, he used his moment to control himself to not make a snide comment, or take a tone.

"However, Taymar and I, have a mutal friend--one who's friendship I'm sure he vaules--but! I shouldn't be telling you this, if only Gharibu can help me in this matter." Jadmai reached into his purse and pulled out a circlet and slide it across the bar to the barkeep. "Could you tell Gharibu I'd like to speak with him when he has a moment? Thanks, goodman."

The dark adhiel took a gulp of the ale and listened to Roland talk to Harkhebi, and he almost smirked as Roland didn't mention his name, but mostly from the thoughts of now how glib he could be now.

Jadmai turned around after Roland told his story his mug in hand, and looked at Harkbebi, "The man is telling the truth it was self defense. I, honestly, had a frieghtening good view of it--in fact, I was worried for my own safety during the whole fracas. But, yes, I saw it...scary stuff, and all self defense."

Ever the politican Jadmai used half truths and rhetoric, to put a little distance between himself and the events, and just to have a little fun.

Return to “The Sands Archive”