Jadmai at The Crying Dragon Sam 26 TT

Moderator: Mods

Post by Guest »

Harkhebi turned toward Jadmai and eyed him suspiciously. The adhiel could tell he was unhappy someone had spoken in Roland's defense. His face began to redden with irritation.

"And I'm supposed to take the word of a . . .," said Harkhebi waving his hand toward Jadmai, ". . .dark adhiel? Who might you be? For all I know, you were in on the whole thing."

Both Jadmai and Roland noticed the room catch Harkhebi's slip up. As many eyebrows went up as faces turned down into their ale. If the guards truly had been called by the 'victims,' the story would have included a dark adhiel slashing the chest of one of them.

Watching the exchange from the corner of his eye, Gharibu moved toward the bar. On his way past Roland he whispered "Your friend went into the back room. I did not see him come out." Roland barely heard it before Gharibu slipped through the crowd to stand next to the bartender who had served Jadmai.
Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

OOC: I'm not actually sure where the backroom is but I'll improvise for now.

It's coming, you know it is. So just do it quickly.

"I doubt you'll have any luck making that stick, Harkhebi." Roland's voice was level as he slowly sheathed his dagger, gripping his axe with both hands, just where Damien had taught him.

Damien. Back room.

"Now if we're done here, and I assume we are considering you have not one shred of evidence..."

He started walking lowly towards the back room door, axe held ready and taking measured steps. He knows that soon Harkhebi and his duo will make their move: it's what they came for him in the first place. But his main concern is Damien.

But even on the defensive his hands are ready to deliver a chopping, killing blow just as he'd been instructed. He just hoped he had a few more flickers, just to get to that door.

Post by Guest »

Strangely, Roland was able to enter the back room without being stopped by Harkhebi or his men. He pushed open the door and stepped into the dark, smoke filled room lined with the velvety curtained alcoves. Low burning candles gave the Crying Dragon’s exclusive, private area an eerie orange darkness.

This time, there were fewer pair of eyes. The room was less quiet than before. Only the two tables immediately in front of him were populated. Whatever had happened was quickly becoming an afterthought. None of the curtained alcoves were open now and the two figures, even the one that had been slumped against the wall, were now gone.
Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

"Fcuk-shika..."

The savage Dragonskeep curse hissed venomously from Roland's lips as his angry eyes flitted round the room, not seeing Damien anywhere. Whatever commotion had occurred had now gone and been forgotten. He lowers his axe, Harkhebi and his peons behind the double-doors.

Got to find out where they went.

Roland's eyes flit about the room for a bartender, a waitress, even a man on his own at a table, anyone he can talk to and find out where his comrade has disappeared too, and with whom.

And he knows he must do it fast, because he had little doubt that soon Harkhebi would finish what he intended to do this night.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

OOC: Roland I am sorry, for making this thread drag. RL issues.

Jadmai stood up and faced Harbeki, the man had asked who Jadmai was and the dark adhiel had no hesitations in telling him, "I am Jadmai Av'Zathrak, the ambassador of Amun Rah to Terra Incognita. I am just here on business--seems my friend, Ionis is having troubles with ships and vandalism with his warehouses here. You, being a keeper of peace, probably know all about that, I won't bore with those issues."

"As for being a part of this fiasco--I would have thought that your victims would have mentioned a large dark adhiel being a part of the events. We are hard not to notice." He said with a tilt of his head.

"I am here enjoying a drink before I begin my days work, and since no party, save you, who was not here, implied that I was involved in these events. I should like to be left alone now."

Jadmai sat back down and turned his back on the man, waiting to hear word from the large man with the chain belt.
"...war is the last flower on the evil tree."-- Betrand Russel

Post by Guest »

As Roland scanned the room only a few patrons even raised their eyes, let alone meet his. This was just another ruckus at the Crying Dragon. How were they to know that Roland was connected to it? However, one man did something that the others didn't, and Roland caught it. One man, accompanied only by a low burning candle and an empty chair, looked away, deliberately avoiding Roland's gaze.

He wasn't a big man but he was sitting down so it was hard to for Roland to truly see. His clothing was nondescript save for a wide cloak. If he was armed, it wasn't obvious. No sword sheath stuck out from beneath his chair or above his shoulder. He didn't look dangerous but the dangerous ones never did.

~

Harkhebi's eyebrows rose Jadmai's introduction. They immediately frowned when he said "Ambassador." This was not something he was prepared to handle. It got even worse.

Jadmai had caught Harkhebi in his web of mistruths. This was no answer to someone's cry for help. The men had been planted and Harkhebi had been "prepared" to intervene. He had only seconds to save face.

"The stories of men like those are far from true it seems," the official growled. He knew he was beaten. "Your excellency, ambassador, sir" he continued, still growling. "We will leave you in peace. But I suggest in the future you pick safer places to socialize."

With a curt nod to his comrades, Boss Harkhebi turned and walked out of the Dragon. The crowd breathed a collective sigh of relief and returned to their drinking.

"He's not gone," said Gharibu sofly. "His true quarry is the Mekaraz boy. This will be only a minor setback. Roland should not leave by the front door." The bald man frowned deeply and turned toward the dark elf.

"Now, I understand you need to speak with me." Gharibu flashed his teeth in one of the most welcoming smiles Jadmai had ever seen. He knew this smile could relax even the most heated situation.

"My name is Gharibu, how may I be of service?"
Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

Roland narrowed his eyes and walked over to the lone man, now studiously avoiding his gaze. It was dark and indistinct around him, and even though he was not obviously armed, not all men were obvious.

Carefully then...

"Excuse me, sir..." Roland stops about a yard to the man's right, eyes on his hands. His own hands grip the axe ready but low, unthreatening. If this stranger gets... unreasonable, he can take him with a quick slice from below.

But his voice is the key, low and somehow comforting and yet... all-pervading.

"Would you happen to have seen where the men went? You know which one's I'm talking about..." He leans only a touch closer and there's a slight squeak as his hands grasp the oak axe handle tighter.

"Don't you?"

Post by Guest »

OOC: Sorry for the wait. Holiday weekend and all. With Jad's posting schedule you guys can move forward independently. I'll split you when I need to.

IC:

As Roland spoke, the man froze and then cringed. The cloak gave him an appearance of being bigger than he actually was. Slender to the point of almost being gaunt, his eyes were deeply sunk into his head. Still, it was obvious. The man knew something. He'd been expecting Roland but not necessarily wanting to talk to him.

"I was hoping you wouldn't come," he replied with a grimace. "Have a seat. I'm supposed to give this to you."

The man reached slowly beneath his cloak and withdrew a small stack of papers. He placed them on the table near the candle so that the orange light illuminated them as best it could. It was dim and his reading skills were poor, but Roland could just make out some of the words. Bill of Sale. Silberstein & Sons.

"I'm supposed to tell you the debt's been paid and she's free."
Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

Roland frowned at the papers in front of him, and at the foreign label on them. Of course, he knew a bill of sale when he saw one, but why in the Nether was he getting one?!

Dark thoughts quickly swirled into his minds, the facts he'd learned that days coming together as he tried to work out what had happened. By the label he'd guess that Zhanna's family had finally caught up with her and her soldier ally, and...

If they couldn't get her...

Roland pushes the thoughts from his mind for now, moving forward to the table side quickly. He didn't know anything yet, and was not about to second guess himself. So, to more direct matters.

CLUNK!

He drops the axe handle on the table, blade now positioned straight in front of the man. With his left hand he eased out the dagger from its sheath, holding it low. In case this gaunt old man was more than he seemed, he would soon get a knife in the ribs if the axe didn't kill him. But Roland couldn't foresee that yet: the man was scared.

And that will make this easier.

"You haven't answered my question." Roland's voice is the same low, dangerous tone, not a mite mollified by the scraps of paper. "Where is my friend? And since you're in a position to know..."

He tilts the axe head closer to the man's skull, letting the gleam of the axe play briefly over his skull-like face.

"Who took him?"
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

"Yes..." Jadmai said as he looked out the door Harbeki went, "he does seem to have it out for him." He shrugged as he let the corrupt offical slip from his mind, "Well, him and a few others at least."

I sure can pick 'em.

"Gharibu, it's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Jadmai Av'Zathrak." Jadmai extended his hand, he didn't know if it was customary to shake hands here, but he had seen so many humans do it before that it didn't seem like a faux pas here in The Sands--too many cultures mingled here for it be so.

"I come fresh from Amun Rah, you may have heard when I spoke to Harbeki that I am indeed an ambassador of that fine kingdom, and I am here on business. Rafao Ionis speaks highly of your employer, I must follow his judgement in that Taymar is a suitable first contact to my business here."

"If Taymar needs to know before he would see me, the business falls mostly along the lines of trade and shipping." Jadmai smiled at Gharibu, it was obvious that there was to the wanted talks than how the shipping and trade faired, but he trusted Gharibu to be a man of common sense, and to know that the details of exactly what Jadmai was doing in could only be trusted in who they were intended for.

"Shipping is everything though, the horizon holds no real future for any other means of shipping large amounts of cargo. Everyone does speak of the airship contraptions of the west, but I am not trusting of those (and there handlers), the only precious cargo I would put onto one of those would be my enemies."

A joke never hurts...usually.
Last edited by Jadmai on Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

The man looked up at Roland and tried to appear confident. It really wasn’t working but it made him appear less scared. As he looked at Roland in the eye, Roland got the feeling that this man was simply doing his job, and, like most people, didn’t like his job.

“The same men that always take them. I don’t know where.” he replied simply, as if Roland should be aware of the process. “Silbersteins bought him, I would assume they’re holding him at the auction house. That is, unless he put up another fight. . .” He sighed and lowered his head.

“He’s legally their property now and they’ll sell him first chance they get. He’s a big, strong lad. He’ll fetch a good price.” He sighed again and looked Roland in the eye. Any semblance of fear was gone now, only sympathy remained. He gently put his hand on the axe and pushed it aside. He was in no mood to fight.

“Listen, you got what you wanted didn’t you? I’m just an agent; I don’t know all the details, but this lady of yours, she’s free no? Can’t you just let it go?”

~

Gharibu took Jadmai’s hand and shook it warmly. His smile had to be one of the most inviting Jadmai had ever seen. Whoever had placed him in this position at the Dragon had chosen wisely.

“Then welcome, your Excellency,” said Gharibu with a slight nod of his head. He would not give so formal a bow in an establishment such as this.

“And you are correct,” he said, grin widening, “an airship is excellent place for your enemies, as long as they are not its pilot.” He leaned closer and lowered his voice but the tone did not change.

“Taymar would be happy to see you, I’m sure. Trade and shipping are topics of frequent interest for him. He is, unfortunately, not here right now. Perhaps you would be available to return this evening? I would be happy to reserve a private room for your conversation.”
Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

Shit... ah... shit!

Roland kepts his face inscrutable as he digested all this information, already knowing what he's going to do. Hence his foul but well-concealed anger.

Just a messenger... no need to harm him yet.

Roland sheathed his axe, but kept the dagger held low and tight to his side, just in case. He looked down and planted his free hand on the table but not leaning on it, just enough to tower over the gaunt, tired looking man.

"If you could get these papers, you must have some connection to them in general, even if you do not know specifics. That means you can give me a name."

Roland's eyes blazed into the old man's, made all the more dark and inhuman by the dim light. The Dragonskeep soldier wanted this person to see the death in his eyes this night. He was simply doing his job, true, but not his job had put him in Roland's way.

Ah, such is the benevolence of the God's... letting an old man raise my ire.

"And you will give me a name. I can see you are not enjoying this job, and I can understand that." Roland's voice is cold and controlled, almost like if a machine could talk. Emotionless. "But that man is my friend, and I will get him back, one way or the other. Do not doubt that, and do not doubt -"

He gripped the dagger at his side, flexing it in readiness to lop off a finger or two, perhaps and ear... even an eye if necessary.

"- that I will do whatever it takes to get the information I need. Now... a name?"

Post by Guest »

"Sir," said the man calmly to Roland. "Of course, I am connected with them, they are my employer." He looked at him with a slight bit of admonishment as he creased his brow.

"I've given you their name, sir. Silberstein's is the most respected slave auction house in the city. You can take it up with them, if you'd like, but your efforts will most likely be in vain." Roland could tell by the tone of his voice he was sugar coating the situation. The man sighed and rose.

"I am sorry you are disappointed, sir, but this is a transaction that occurs a hundred times a day here. You would be better off wishing your friend luck than worrying about how you can rectify the situation." The man in the cloak withdrew several steps from the table, leaving Roland to mull over his next steps.

"Good day, sir," was the last Roland heard of the man as he slipped into the main room at the front of the bar.
Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

Roland watched the old man walk unsteadily across the dimly lit room, then disappear out the door. He'd not said a word while he'd left, just listened to all he had to say. And he'd already made a decision.

I'm only one man, one man against many now. I need Zhanna... and her people.

Sheathing his dagger, the Dragonskeep mercenary gathered his cloak about him and left the back room. His footsteps are swift and relentless, a man on a mission, with purpose. Roland gave a respectful nod to Gharibu before he left, and then was swallowed up by the Sabata night.

As he walked back to Zhanna's store, he gripped his sword and dagger under his clock, reasssured by them. Roland's face was blank but his eyes were pools of mental activity. Already he's working out what he needs to do, who to go to... whom to kill.

War... war coming, Roland. Not like the old days but... goodm enough.

And silently he thanked Silbersteins, whoever they were, for they have given him another chance.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Jadmai nodded with a grin as Gharibu bantered slightly, and reached into his purse and produced a coronet which he slid across to the large man, "For your time." Jadmai said with a nod.

"Yes, a private room would be ideal. I'll come back next tide perhaps, and check in to see if Taymar has returned. If I could I would also like to arrange a room for the night--perhaps I could open an account here--a tab, if Taymar or you approve."

Jadmai watched as Roland left the building without so much as a goodbye. Jadmai wasn't after thanks, so he was inclined to let it be. However, with some quick pondering, Jadmai realized that this Roland fellow was the only person he had truly met, and a contact that seemed connected to the city. Jadmai needed that.

"Excuse me, Gharibu, but I would like to talk to the young man who has just left, I shall return. Thank you for all your help. Farewell."

Jadmai quickly followed Roland, he was going to call out his name, but then he realized that they never had a chance to exchange their names'....no wait, that corrupt officer said his name: Roland.

"Roland!" Jadmai called out after the young man, as he shuffled quickly behind him, "Roland, could I have a word with you?"
Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

"Roland!"

The second the voice reached his ears the young soldier's hands gripped his blades tighter. He started pulling them out of their sheathes as he turned, prepared for anything... and then stopped himself.

The adhiel...

"Roland, could I have a word with you?"

For a long second the two men regarded each other across the silent and deserted back alley. Roland looked over the smaller ahiel, noting that he was in no way acting aggressively. He simply wanted.

I certainly owe him that much.

"Of course you can." There was a slight hiss as his blades are returned to their sheathes, and he crossed his arms across his chest. "You saved me in there, least I can do is talk to you. So... what is it, ah... I didn't get your name, friend?"
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Jadmai extended his hand to Roland, "My name is Jadmai Av'Zathrak." Jadmai shrugged at the thanks, "There is really no need to thank me, it's in my blood to try disengauge threats--no matter how badly it seems to backfire." He said with a sardonic smile.

"However," Jadmai said with a tilt of his head, "if you did feel like indebted, I do havea propostion thank could help us both out. I wonder, Roland, what line of work are you in?" He paused to let him answer then went on. "Myself, I am in politics. I am Amun Rah's ambassador to The Sands. And I could use someone like you--I also don't think you can dispense with having a friend like the royal goverment of Amun Rah."

"Are you interested so far, friend?"
Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

Roland shook the adhiel's hand firmly, feeling it reciprocated exactly. The elf was obviously not to be taken lightly, and his words were perfectly chosen.

And he's right. You are indebted... but you still have a job to do.

"I hear your words and agree with them, Jadmai." Roland broke the shake and allowed a small smile to cross his inscrutable face. "It is rare one meets one's polar opposite: someone who tries to de-escalate violence, not rush blindly towards it."

Roland shrugged, feeling a little easier with the ambassador now. The One, he nearly forgot that: this man is an ambassador!

"But I am a warrior..." Roland's eyes slipped for a second as he remembered the shame of his past, how he'd let down all those who'd believed in him... but it was soon gone. "Or i was. Now I am a mercenary. I can see the benefits of working with a man such as yourself, but unfortunately I must decline, at least for now."

Suddenly an idea popped into Roland's head.

"You see, the reason I left quickly is because a friend of mine is vanished, kidnapped, waylaid by these... Silberstein people. I owe some loyalty to him and his mistress, and until the situation is resolved... I cannot leave them."

Roland stepped forward, locking steely eyes with the adhiel and make his play.

"Do you wish to join me? I cannot promise gold or fame or even life after it... but I have since stopped caring about such things." Another small smile, this one truly genuine. "I am a soldier in need of war. So I go wherever I find it. And after this one... I will fight yours."

Roland nodded to the dark alley behind him, close to Zhanna's shop.

"What say you, Jadmai Av'Zathrak?"
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Jadmai let a derivise noise escape from his nose, "Come now, brother, let your blood cool and your cooler head guide you. People would see something be remiss if I was looking to be under your command--it wouldn't be proper for an ambassador. Nor, friend, do I expect to be under mind."

"You see, you jumped too far ahead in a decline in our partnership. You assumed that our goals would not be the same, but that is the beauty!, in the most important repects they are." Jadmai said with a nod, and held his arm to suggest they walk as they talk.

"Let's walk in the direction you were going as we talk," the dark adhiel contined falling into step with Roland. "Roland, there is a duality in my role here. Firstly, of course, I am to represent the interests of Amun Rah. Now, I am now going to confide to you my second duty, this second duty must never leave your lips unless it's being readdressed to me in private."

"There has been systematic destruction of Amun Rah's warehouses, in the Warehouse Districts--I don't suppose you have heard anything about that? However, my second charge is where we can truly work together. You see, there was a vessel, a ship, that was coming from the Citadel and stopped here, it was called 'The Harlequin’s Ghost'. Now it is said that the ship is empty, but the ship's manifest shows differently. There are people near and dear to me and others on that ship, and I think everyone deserves to know if their close ones are alright. I suspect they have been caputured and made into slaves! Just like your friend! Surely this means we can work out an arrangement."

"All I ask from you, friend, Roland is to tell what you have heard about these happenings, and to keep me informed on any future developements with them.

"Goodman, I need someone connected to the city. Myself? I can hardly call myself a citizen here, I've only been out of portal a tide or so. That is all I need from you: words...and maybe a few directions. You need not work directly with me, or be at my service. Nor do I want sword arm at my side--I can handle myself--I just want a mutually benefical partnership, we are basicly looking for the same thing."

Jadmai stopped walking and nodded at Roland, then pushed away any hair that got into his face from the nod, "All this in our parternship, plus you will have the resouces of the royal goverment of Amun Rah...and then of course you will have myself on your side." Jadmai said with a large smile. "An accomplised politican, who gets what he wants, and also..." he went on in a hushed tone, "I've taken the skill of the use of daggers and made it into an art form. I would pit myself against anyone in the WK and the Seven Isles and have the utmost confidence. Never had any formal training, but I get the job done."

Jadmai stood with his arms crossed over his chest, and looked Roland in the eye with a inquisitve stare, "Bottom line Roland is I get things done. With or without you, but it's much easier with you. You want to come along for the ride, Roland?" Jadmai extended his hand, "If so let's shake on it, and I'll follow you like you asked."
Roland Mekaraz

Post by Roland Mekaraz »

For what seemed like a long time Roland regarded the adhiel, letting the cogs turn in his head. This ambassador was obviously a sharp man, one of those who could cover all the eventualities. A good man to have by his side.

Always a catch Roland, just remember that...

"Why not?" An easy grin slid all over the young soldier's face, the first in a long, long while, and he shook Jadmai's hand firmly. "Nothing else to keep me here..." suddenly his voice lowers as he breaks the grip.

"Apart from those people I still need to take care of."

He faced towards Zhanna's store and kept walking, knowing Jadmai will follow. He decided to live up to his side of this for now, reciprocity being the best way forward.

The One know's the guy's earned it.

"In answer to your question, I do know about the Harlequin's Ghost." Roland paused for the tiniest flicker, deciding to chose his words carefully. "She was liberated a few days ago. Rumour has it the slaves revolted and slaughtered the crew before disappearing. You're near-and-dead ones are either hiding out, dead or recaptured, I'd wager."

Roland sped up a little, wanting to get back to Zhanna's and report his new findings. This invaluable new ally would be a great help to them both.

"As to finding them, the woman we go to speak with now would be the best place to start. Who she is and what her motives are are still unknown to me, but..." Roland pauses again, this time noticeably, remembering the more unpleasant encounters he's had in this sun-baked city.

"It's better than other's around here..."

Post by Guest »

OOC: I'm not sure exactly where you guys are in your discussion. This post is meant to move it forward slightly.

IC: The pair rounded the corner and turned onto Zhanna's street. In the fading daylight, the blue paint of the two story building did not seem so bright yet it was easily recognizable down the lane. The shop looked empty and quiet in the twilight. A dog wandered across the street but otherwise the street was empty.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

OOC: Is there another thread at Zhanna's that I have failed to see, I am kind of lost on where to post to next. Roland? Gaius?

Post by Guest »

OOC: Jad - It appears you are next to respond in the conversation. I just figured I would move you guys forward toward Zhanna's as a little bump.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

OOC: Just to hurry us along to Zhanna's. Sorry about the confusion.

The dark adhiel followed the young human around the corner silently for a bit, as he mulled over Roland's words. Jadmai, ever the politican, a student of word choice and rhetoric, did notice the pause in Roland's explanation, and he felt that, though he wasn't being lied to, he wasn't given a full truth, or perhaps some details were left out.

"I appreicate the information, Roland." And for awhile Jadmai was going to leave at that, but that was not his plan, he then went on, "However, I am not interested in rumors friend. You wouldn't happen to know more than the what the rumors say? Perhaps a solid fact or two has come your way. What I mean to say is a warrior for hire like yourself, might come across this information if other mercanarnies were hired to free this ship." Jadmai shrugged. "I'm just stabbing in the dark here, friend. The contents of the ship are very important to me, and to Amun Rah. You don't have to answer now, take your time, answer me when we get to Zhanna's. Until then, let's just enjoy the walk."

The dark adhiel fell in behind Roland and walked silently, contemplating the days events, until they reached Zhanna's.

Post by Guest »

OOC: You are practically there.

IC: They continued to walk down the almost deserted street without incident. The dog disappeared down an alley beside the blue painted building but was soon replaced in the backdrop by a lonely street vendor wheeling his cart down the street, probably making one last circuit of this district on his way toward the wharf where sales might pick up. He paid the pair no attention as he meandered by.

The doors and shutters to the Rare Blessing were shut tight. If anyone was home it did not appear so. If anyone was watching from within, they made no audible move toward the door. Trying it, they would find it locked. A knock would receive no answer. It appeared that this night, the Rare Blessing was clearly closed.

Return to “The Sands Archive”