Rogue: The Gilded Gates ~ Entrance Thread

Moderator: Mods

Syra
The Chocolate Game Designer

Rogue: The Gilded Gates ~ Entrance Thread

Post by Syra »

The Gilded Gates

The city gates lack any sort of truly fortified strength. Made up of ornately sculpted metal and climbing, flowery vines, they are clearly made more for ornament than for true protection. The safety of the city is, instead, left in the hands of the armored guards that patrol its streets, and stand at its gates. Five stand outside the quiet gates, no matter what time of day. They are always and uniformly dressed in blindingly polished metal armor bearing Roque's crest. They are silent as they watch visitors pass them by.

Up ahead one can see the city's plateaux rise slowly over the cliffs that touch the enchanting Mer de la Luna to the right. There is no sign of the harbour, save those imposing ships that are large enough to be noticed from here. Obviously the docks are well within the protection of the city walls.

From time to time a salty breeze carries the tolling of a bell, reminding the inhabitants of Roque of their duty to the One god, Dominicus. Other typical sounds of the Mer are drowned out by the busy city life, which starts at these very gates.

Just within the gates, protected from sun and rain by a matching overhang, sit two men at an obviously repaired wooden desk. From the looks of it this stury and expensive wood has seen quite some action. Quills and sheets of parchment sit in front of them. Another guard stands beside them, quietly watching any newcomers who approach. A sign above the desk - lettered in gold calligraphy - reads "Information" in Elvish, with its Common Tongue translation beneath it in smaller, less ornate script
Last edited by Syra on Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Chocolate is not an addiction, it is a way of life.

[/size]
Sara Penman

Post by Sara Penman »

Sara was indeed impressed by the sight of the Gilded Gates, the beautiful metal wound with climbing vegetation. It was opulent, but with undertones of security. The guards with the gleaming armor and stern visage caught her attention from atop her cart momentarily. The soft salty breeze was refreshing and even invigorating as it ruffled through her dark hair. It was unfortunate, though, that she would enter Roque in such a common manner. A woman driving her own horse and cart was a lowly place to start and a difficult place to rise from. Once again Sara was reminded of what little she could expect from her first few months in Roque. A job was primary, something she had to secure quickly in order to maintain financial stability. With a career she would need a residence, humble though it would be. Then, stable and independent, Sara could make a place for herself.

Sara paused momentarily, casting a glance at the desk, its scripted sign reading "information" in her language beneath an elegant calligraphy in a language she could only guess to be elven. Reining her horse, she alighted gently to the ground. "Exscuse me, sirs, but perhaps I could have a word."
Last edited by Sara Penman on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syra

Post by Syra »

Samheen 27th, morningtide

The soft breeze still smelled of summer although the temperature had dropped drastically that night after a heavy thunderstorm. The road had seen quite a few royal Blue uniforms, signalling that King Balthasar was somewhere close. The gates seemed open and business was obviously flourishing, so whatever it was the King had to do here, had either gone unnoticed, or was over and done with already.

A wiry boy stepped up to Sara's car while she paused, obviously admiring the horse. "Pretty thing, m'lady!" The voice piped up out of the scruffy looking appearance. "Can I help you get her stabled? Him stabled? Errr....is it boy or girl, ma'am?"

"Handron, I know there's not much work to find inside, but could you wait til we're done, please, before you steal people right from under our noses?" One of the Roques remarked, an eyebrow rising dangerously high.

The boy grinned and stepped back, tipping his non-existant hat. "Just doing m'job!" He waved at Sara and waited for the bureaucrats to fulfill their destiny.

"Ma'am, step off the cart, please." Brown eyes surveyed the woman while he waited for her to follow his order. Once Sara was actually on the ground, the guard gestured her closer to his desk. "Name and reason for visiting, please." He intoned, just before it struck him she had asked something already.

"Uh...if you could have a work? Do you mean you want to have a word with me or did you mean you are looking for work?" He frowned, looking slightly confused. His collegues chuckled behind his back.

"Don't mind him, ma'am. He's just tired from yesterday." Handron offered helpfully, earning him a glare from the guard.

"Don't think I know the difference between being polite and rude, young man." He finally warned the youngster. "You will butt out while I do my job and THEN you can do your's."

Handron once again tipped his head and kicked away a pebble with his bare feet, whistling an innocent tune.

"Now then, shall we proceed? Name and reason for visiting, please."

[/size]
Sara Penman

Post by Sara Penman »

At the boy's intrusion, Sara almost instinctively offered him Elus's bridled head. It was only the precipitous height at which one of the gentleman's brows rose that stopped her in mid-motion. Maintaining her grasp on the horse's bridle, she looked to Handron once more.

"Elus -he- is pretty indeed. But the man is quite right, I believe I'll need a moment more."

Listening to the apparently befuddled guard, Sara laughed lightly at the misunderstanding of her previous question. Approaching their desk, leading Elus with her, she amended her statement.

"Excuse me, sir, I meant 'word'. I typically attempt not to be that pointed in my requests for employment." She smiled at the young boy kindly, appreciative of his humor at this mildly embarassing moment.
"I've come to Roque to establish residence. My name is Sara Penman. I was actually hoping to determine if there are any particular policies concerning residence in this city."
Last edited by Sara Penman on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

"Policies about residents?" The guard slowly asked. "I suppose we have to be courteous to them, and I think it would be a good thing, if everyone was just a bit more kind--"

The boy stuck his head out from behind the horse, "She didn't mean residents, she meant residence."

"That's what I said."

"No, you said resiDENTS, she means residence...like dense as in, you are being dense. Residence."

"Ah, I see." The guard reacted with a lit up face. "Well, no, nothing I can think of--this is Roque, ma'am, a gem of freedom amongst places like World's Mouth and Pax. The only advice I can give about residency, is that it would be good to find a place of it. The Goose and Gander is decent inn, in the upper city. Let me think of how to tell you..."

The guard or, Roque, tried to think of directions, and as he turned around, he saw another guard just getting off duty, taking off his gold uniform and putting on a black leather vest over a brown tunic.

"Well, I could have Dreyton show you where it is, he's staying there himself."

The one called Dreyton looked up with pale green eyes as he heard his name mentioned, "Oh, aye," he said, stuffing his uniform into a saddle bag of his own horse. Then stepping forward towards the other Roque and Sara, he nodded at her, "tis not a problem, was just on my way there."

"So, yes," the other guard started most pleased with himself, "Dreyton, this is..." He looked down at his sheet as he already forgot her name, "...Sara. Sara if I could just have you sign here," he said pointing to the parchament, and handing her a quill, "And Dreyton can show ya to the nearest inn, if ya like, or if ya have more questions I'll do my best to answer them." The unintroduced guard finished with a smile, and held the quill and parchament out for Sara.
Last edited by Jadmai on Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...war is the last flower on the evil tree."-- Betrand Russel

Post by Guest »

Zulizar used the sleeve of his clothes to wipe the sweat that was forming on his forehead. This walking from place to place defiantly didn't suite him. He scanned the city for any signs of a place to rest his out of shape body, where he could get his fill of spirits. For the first time in a while he actually had some money in his purse. The weight of the purse on his belt was heavy on Zulizars mind, his mind went over the ammount.

3 Crown, 3 Lance. 3 Crown, 3 Lance. 3 Crown, 3 Lance. A drink later and it wouldn't be as much. One smart play and I can double this and double it again. Good thing I got away before more people came looking for their money when I actually had some.

He repositioned the sack over his shoulder and continued towards the city Gates.

Why do cities always have gates, its just another reason to have me walk more and more

Zulizar was relieved to see that at least the gates were open and he wouldn't have to waste more time to get entrence. He drudged on through the gates seeing the guards he had second thoughts about this city. He had no urge to want to be involved with any simpleton guards that will only question his purpose, of which he had none. Seeing the sign he scoffed at the evlish writing.

So fancy is that writing while the human tounge is smaller and written so plain. What makes them so special

Not seeing any other means of finding directions to a place to water his throat he made his way to the guards. He set his bag down and wipped his forehead again. Looking over the two guards he addressed what he precieved to be the less senior of the two at the desk.

"Please direct me to the nearest place of hard drink"

Zulizar crossed his fingers hoping they would give him a straight answer and not pester him as to his intentions or any other time consuming banter. His hands started to shake. He put his hands out of sight of the guards hoping they didn't catch sight of his shaking hands.

I need a drink, and soon
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

On the approach of Zulizar neither guard took particualar notice--just more people streaming by.

When Zulizar addressed one of the guards, he raised an eyebrow, "That's first time I have heard those words being the first out of a new arrival."

He shrugged, he wasn't offended or put off, just slightly surprised, "I would suggest, for...for a man such as yourself, The Freely Poured Inn would fit you finely."

"You seem the type that just wants to get into the city...so I just have a few questions. What's your name? Do you have work or our looking for it? Answer those, and if you could just sign the ledger, if you can write--if you can't an 'x' will do just fine. Then I can point you on your way."

Post by Guest »

Zulizar was quite please with the reply from the guard, just the basic questions, no hassle really, at least less then expected. In hind sight he tried to make a point to himself that a greeting before asking for a place to drown himself would work better but that was a minor point considering the response he recieved. He caught his breath and replied.

"I am Zulizar Olso, not looking for work at the moment" and hopefully never again "and if you could provide me with a method of writing I will sign my name and bother you no more"

He smiled, and thought if he had met this guard in a better setting he would share a drink with him. Zulizar's first impression of this town was surpisly good. Straightforward and to the point. The Freely Poured in a was a well suited name for such a person as himself and he hoped it lived up to his expectations.

Post by Guest »

Aubrey stood there with his mouth half open, stunned, in awe of the brilliant beauty that were the gates of Roque d'Ancourt. So this was what his father breathlessly spoke to him about in his youthful childish days. If only he could get his grimy little hands on that spectacularly sculpted metal... but no matter, surely there would be even more dazzling wonders inside.

Even after days of traveling on a rickety bouncing caravan without a wash for his brilliant blonde hair couldn't take away the sweetness of relief from Aubrey's grasp. Yes, this was definitely the fairy tale city of his father. He would go in there and make it his own now, like father like son.

The very thought of his father brought on a heartwrenching pain in his chest, he knew he was too weak to pursue his captors, at least here he might be able to establish some allies and acquire some skill unlike in that godforsaken Mouth. With one last sigh and ashen gaze for the open world, he approached the guards at the desk, hoping for a good reception. Thinking authority was not his best friend, he unconsciously stroked his daggers at his side. He had to admit, he was a wee bit nervous despite his usual charismatic nature.

"Greetings good sirs, a glorious day isn't it? Must say I love the smell of rain. But enough from me, could you perhaps direct me to where I could find some residence in this beautiful city you got here?"
Syra

Post by Syra »

ooc
A small tie over for you guys while Jadmai is sick :)

ic
"Hold on, sir, I'd like to finish with this fellow first." The rusty uniformed man told Aubrey. "All in good time...all in good time..."

Although I wonder if this is such a good time for you. The guard frowned, noticing the nerves playing through the young man. Ah well, none of my business until you actually make trouble for us.

"Right, mister Olso. Sign here please....and do tell me...how were you going to pay for your life in Roque if you are not looking for a job? I warn you, we have a strict policy concerning vagabonds!" He eyed Zulizar, looking for any obvious sign of rich heritage or other means to money.

This might take a little longer than expected. He nudged his head towards his dark haired collegue, who took the hint and smiled politely at Aubrey. "This way, sir. As you can see Ruelar is still occupied. Now, let's make this fast and easy, shall we?"

Youthful enthusiasm sparkled of the man in uniform. He was so entirely correct in clothing and smile that this either had to be a compulsive disorder or his first day. "Right, let's see. Name and address please...no, wait, you're just new here, aren't you? My mistake. Name and reason for visit please." He chuckled. "Don't mind me. We just had such a glorious time with the King in town and all. It's almost a shame that he left, really...of course, if he had stayed you might have been picked up for his army, so who knows, maybe this is for the best!"

It had to be his first day.

[/size]

Post by Guest »

Of course it was too good to be true. Now they want to pry.

"Vagabond? I assure you I am in no way a Vagabond. I merlely have some money, from long hours of work and am looking to spend it in your fine town."

Zulizar tried to conceal his impatience and concern that more questions might follow. Just a second ago he was prepared to sign his name and make his way to short term relief in the Freely Drank Inn or was it something else? Well that isn't a issue now, first he had to assure this guard that he was up to nothing but honest endeavors which was true as far as he could see it. Zulizar squinted at the place to sign and did his best to sign his partially false name.

"I won't be here long just enough to refresh my body, mind, and desires. I'll be leaving soon enough."

One time come on, just let me in, I'm not looking to do anything stupid see that. I'm just thirsty and tired.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

The guard licked his lips as he considered Zulizar's words, "Now, that's fine, Mr. Olso, if you are just looking for ways to depart from your money, but mind you once your money runs out..." He paused and gave Zulizar an honest look, "...once your coin runs out. I would highly suggest it that you find some way to employ yourself."

With these last words of wisdom, the guard sighed, and offered the parchament for Zulizar to sign. As Zulizar signed, the guard wrote down some directions, "After you sign, here is a piece of paper, with a small map, to get to the Freely Poured Inn. If you don't have any questions..." The guard was clearly relucatant, "you may go about your business." He finished handing the piece of paper over to Zulizar.

Post by Guest »

Maybe my luck is turning around

Just when he thought he would have to stand around for a mark going through the motions of getting into the city he was given a go ahead. Not only that but aslo a map, which Zulizar was most thankfull for. The odds of him getting to drink at a speed he desired were now doubled.

"Thank you sir, I'll be on my way then"

He picked up the map gave it a quick glance, looked back up at the guard and gave him a small wave and half hearted smile. Repositioning the bag that had grown tired on his shoulder he made his way in which the map showed.

Post by Guest »

Aubrey let loose a toothy grin, exposing his shiny canines at the cleanly cut guard. He had nothing to worry about anymore, this guard couldn't be any more naive and oblivious to Aubrey's future intentions, the other guard on the other hand seemed to pose a bit more of a problem but no matter as long as he was occupied. Regaining his confidence he replied to the guard with ease.

"Synquain, Aubrey sir. And might I add, that is a fine uniform you're sporting there." A thought crossed him as the guard inquired him about his reason of visit, he couldn't exactly say he and his father were pagans and he was concerned for his own safety in the Mouth after his father's capture. He'd need another legitimate way to earn his share as well before he got comfortable with the streets of Roque. Thus he added:

"Well I'd say I came here to settle myself in this fine city of yours. Say, you wouldn't know any place where an aspiring swordsman like myself could earn an honest banner here would you? Don't think I could lug that spiffy armor around all day but I'm sure there are alternatives eh?"
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

The guard looked at Synquain and chewed on his lower lip, "Well, Synquain--am I saying that right? You just missed the King--he took quite a few sword arms with him. More of a draft, ya see."

The guard then gave Synquain another once over, and it clearly just dawned on him, that Synquain might not best fit inside of the Kings Army. "Still, I guess, that being said...we are missing a lot of sword arms. I would think perhaps more in the private sector, then? Inquiring with those that now more of the affairs of the nobles might yield better results..." He said with a shrug.

"Would you mind signing my ledger, Mister Aubrey? And as for residence--are ya looking just for an inn for the night? What are your preferences?"

Post by Guest »

Bah, serving the king, like that would happen. "Of course," said Aubrey, scribbling his signature on the guard's proffered ledger, "and who might I inquire within good sir? I'd like to hone my skills in the mean time, as practice makes perfect you know. As for lodgings, any inn will do, nothing fancy, cozy perhaps with a view of the city? I plan to stay here for quite a while."

The process of merely getting into the city was trying his patience. Just let me in and be done with, he thought while keeping his cheerful facade. He wouldn't cause trouble the first day anyhow, a roundabout survey of the city, some good food and liquor would do for the night.
Last edited by Guest on Sat May 13, 2006 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

"Thank you, Mr. Aubrey." The guard said in reguards to the signature. "As for an inn with a view of the city, may I suggest..." He drew a quick map on a piece of parchment, "The Feathered Dragon--it's clean, cozy, all the things it sounds like you are looking for. Here," he said as he extended the map out to Synquain, "a map to the suggested lodgings."

He stood up to shake the achadhiel's hand to welcome him to the city, "As to who to inquire about the jobs, I have to be honest sir, and say that's not really my cup of tea. You're bound to get better information inside the city, and perhaps at the inn itself--word travels well in a common room. I'm sorry, but that's the best I can do for you, sir. That and wish you good luck."

The guard nodded to Synquain, and looked towards the next newcomer.

OOC: Here is a nice link for you to the Feathered Dragon. Welcome to Roque! Thanks for your patience.

Post by Guest »

"The Feathered Dragon eh? Sounds like my type of inn." He said looking down at the map.

Glancing up with a coy smile Aubrey silently slipped the map into his right pocket and shook the guard's hand warmly, "No, thank you sir, I'll need the luck." If only all the citizens of Roque were like him, his job would be heartbreakingly easy. Nevertheless, he was truly grateful for the genuine display of hospitality on the first day, something he wasn't accustomed to in the Mouth.

And with that, he tipped his head towards the guard and journeyed into the bowels of the city. Hopefully they wouldn't meet in different circumstances.
Callara
Civus

meandering into the city

Post by Callara »

The trip had been long. Long and uneventfull. The weather on the Mer had been drizzly for the past few days which forced Callara to spend most of her time below decks, which never quite made her feel happy. Cramped spaces always made her slightly uncomfortable. No, she prefered looking out over the vast expanses of water while travelling by ship, or in this case; watching the foreboding cliffs around the Mer de la Lune come closer as the ship pulled into the harbor of Roque d'Ancourt.

Callara had never been to the city, although from what she heard it was supposed to be quite nice. Previously whenever they had gone to visit her aunt and uncle they had stayed in King's Court. But now they were residing in their summer home. "Circumstances", her uncle described them in his last letter.

She wasn't really thrilled to have to leave Kislovan. But staying with her family in the west, particularly hanging out with Jules, was something she could get into. "Better make the best of a crappy situation."

"They should be expecting me..." She had waited at the docks as the ship had layed anchor, looking for a sign of her uncle or aunt. The docks looked chaotic in their size, but she looked for a larger road, leading straight to the gates which lay a bit further away, closing off the dockside from the lower parts of the city. "I'll just go and wait there then." So it was that Callara started to make her way up to the large gates, looking around every now and again, checking to see if her family was anywhere in sight in this strange new city...
Last edited by Callara on Wed May 17, 2006 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You underestimate the Power of the Dark Side" - Darth Vader

Callara's Compendium

Avatar drawn and edited by me, tweaked by QC.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

The beautiful but functional gilded gates stood before Callara, but with no family in sight, just small line of people waiting to get into the city, as soon as they cleared away, she could see two guards.

One of the guards was standing inside of a small guard house, the other was sitting behind a table with large ledger in front of him. The guard behind the table smiled broadly at Callara.

"Greetings, my lady, and welcome to Rouqe. We were beginning to worry, we've not seen a lady pass through the gates yet today--just gentlemen...or at least men. I should say you are a welcome sight to sore eyes, and you'll have no shortage of suitors in the city!" He said heartily, his eyes with bearing a small twinkle, probably as much as the average guard could muster.

"So, Miss, if I could have your name, and your reason for visiting the fine city of Roque?"
Callara
Civus

Post by Callara »

Callara patiently waited her turn at the gates, watching the goings on with those that entered before her. It appeared they kept strict records of who entered and left the city.

"I wonder what they do with that information..."

When it was her turn, the guard adressed her in a friendly tone. Back in Kislovan, near her home, people were always cautious when they encountered her, never knowing what strange events would occur. Luckily, this place was a haven of ignorance when it came to her "condition", and so she smiled in return and adressed the guard in an equally kind manner. "Good day to you too sir. You flatter me, I must say. I'm equally happy to be here. The trip has been dreary and it feels good to have land under my feet again."

"I'm chattering, let's get to the point..."

"My name is Callara Connarial. I am visiting my uncle and aunt of the Tannen family who reside in the upper city, or so they wrote." Callara produced the letter her uncle had sent, bearing the seal of his house in bright red wax on the bottom. "I hoped they would be waiting for me here, I am new to the city and don't know my way around at all."

"Chattering, too much information, cool it."

Callara was slightly nervous. She had indeed hoped someone would have arrived at the docks to greet her. Ofcourse it was hard to tell when exactly a ship would arrive because of weather and tides, but she had only a vague description of where the Tannen house would be and the city seemed very big from where she was standing...
Last edited by Callara on Wed May 24, 2006 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Callara's Compendium

Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

The guard shrugged, "I haven't not really seen anyone waiting for those at the gates. I'm sorry. I still get you inside the city, and offer up an idea on a place to stay for a short time. If you could just sign our ledger..."

As Callara was signing, the guard was busy writing on a piece of parchament, "Here, I've written out some direction to the Feathered Dragon Inn. It's a quaint place, I am sure you will enjoy it." He handed the directions to Callara.

"It's in the upper city, shouldn't be too hard to find. So, unless I can help you in another way, welcome to Roque."
Callara
Civus

Post by Callara »

Callara signed the ledger and listened to the guard's advice. She took the parchment from him containing the directions given to the inn. "Thank you very much. I wasn't planning to stay at an inn, but perhaps they will be able to direct me further. Ever so gracious of you sir." She bowed slightly, more of a gracious nod, before the man before entering the city.

She looked around at her surroundings, buildings of all sizes around her, in the distance the cliffs rose up, supporting the homes and estates of the Upper City. Still anxious about being alone in this city, but strengthened somewhat in the idea of having directions to some place a lot closer to where she meant to go, she set out on her walk, pack with light luggage slung over her shoulder as if going on a camping trip.

"Roque d'Ancourt, here I come..."

Callara's Compendium

Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

OOC: Your free to go into the city, and visit the feathered dragon. Have fun.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Post by Sebastian Beauvais »

Samheen 27 TT

Sebastian Beauvais, very much the living Baron of Brie, was still marvelling at the wonder that was portal travel as he rode up to the gates of Roque d'Ancourt. The power of the magical device astounded him, even as he remained a little distrustful of the "unnaturalness" of such artifacts. Despite the convenience and advantages, Sebastian still thought there was something to be said for travelling the old-fashioned way. But given his current circumstances, the need for speed outweighed such esoteric concerns, and he swallowed his provincial objections to the technology and instead turned his attention to the fabulously wrought gates of the city.

For all his time spent in Kings Court, Sebastian had never been to Roque. Of course, having never been in the personal entourage of a noble enjoying the summer pleasures of the Mer de la Luna, he hadn't expected to come here either. So as he approached he took a burn or two to drink in the appearance of the place - the fine gates, the guards in their polished armour, the hustle and bustle of the port city beyond, and the estates overlooking it all from the heights of the bluffs above. Sebastian assumed it was somewhere up there he would have to visit to clear his name, or rather demonstrate it was still attached to a living, breathing body.

He cast an experienced, critical eye over the guards as he walked his mount past and then dismounted next to the table beneath the "Information" sign. Sebastian wondered a bit at the flowing calligraphy above the human title, especially given recent events in the kingdom and to the north in T'aquar, but he decided it was nothing to worry about. He needed to visit and then get back to Brie, where Edvar was no doubt already rolling his eyes at the "flighty new baron".

"Good tradetide, my good men," Sebastian greeted the gatekeepers in a friendly but businesslike tone. "My name is Sebastian Beauvais, Baron of Brie, and I am here all the way from Murrelbuck in response to an urgent request of the royal administration. Can you direct me to their offices, please?"
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt Archive”