Haunted Eyes Upon the Throne (Samheen 27) (Open)

Moderator: Mods

Andolin
Caesar

Haunted Eyes Upon the Throne (Samheen 27) (Open)

Post by Andolin »

It is said that if one stands near a place of great power and is utterly silent, that one can hear the whispers of those who lived in its past. Who was to say whether it was true or not, but this gravetide found Andolin walking the halls of the Citadel in the aether.

As the Lord Chamberlain, the Citadel was his fortress, at least until he became Caesar and appointed Silk to be his successor. In fact, the Citadel was not his, and might not ever be. New in the position, the Citadel and been invaded by the nether and now faced conquest by the West. Though feeling himself fated to rest upon the Imperial throne, it seemed a cruel hoax that the throne could be more a curse than a boon.

Still, as a man driven by ambition, why not take up the scepter and crown? He would teach a lesson to Silk and the others who sought to manipulate him. He was no one's lackey. If given the time, he would turn the throne into a true crucible of power. To do so, he merely needed to best the craftiest minds in the Empire and defeat the most powerful military in the world. So, it might take a few yahren.

The throne room was empty, as was his heart at the moment. When he sat upon it, his clothing became rich purple silks. Gems flashed from every finger and the golden wreathed crown upon his dark head. The throne was solid gold too, with armrests shaped as eagle wings. A certain amount of pomp was necessary to encourage respect after all.

Haunted eyes searched the room, sure that he would see others appear soon. Would it be the ghost of Isabella, the spirit of Kitya searching the palace for him, or complete strangers? He had allowed his heart to soften on two occasions and what had it gained him? The death of both.

A man in his position could not afford love. Love was a weakness that afflicted mortals as did strong drink, or those narcotics that wafted through the dark dens of places such as the Divale. Both drink and drugs were the bane to a thinking man such as himself. Not being a great warrior, his greatest weapon was his mind. To lose it for a moment might spell the end of him, or so thought the paranoid Andolin.

Women, like wine, should be used as a tool. None shall capture me again. His laughter echoed through the empty audience chamber in mockery of more than the thought. Perhaps it had been a bit too forced.

Andolin's weakness was power. He needed it as much as a desert traveler needs water. Anything that permitted him control, was a product of power. It was whispered that his weakness was women, rather than power, for he certainly enjoyed surrounding himself with them. Let them think that, so that they will try to control me through those avenues. Yet, a truer self evaluation might have found that his weakness for them was partly an effort to control them.

The idea of having many wives and lovers caused him to smile. Not only would it be a grand time, but it would placate the stronger members of the Empire into thinking him no threat. A man with no vices is a man to be wary of. Thus, show your rivals a vice and appear content to pursue it over all else ... and they will lower their guard. It was why Erwin wanted the farm girl. Her vice would be thinking about silly farm things, rather than seizing power. Yes, Andolin thought himself clever over his little plan. The danger was, of course, that he would truly grow too fond of it.

So it was that he steeled his heart, even here in the aether. There will not be another Isabella, he told himself. There would be none that would be his equal -- he was sure of it.

Master of the aether, Andolin toyed with the notion of creating an adoring court dancing before him. It would be a pleasant way to color his dreams. Maybe he could create his imaginary wives. One from every island in the kingdom. He could imagine one from the Citadel, a dark skinned one from Amun Rah, an adhiel from Kislovan, and he would especially enjoy breaking a barbarian from Trothgard. Of course, there was Muchislie, Dort, Pan's Isle, Sierra, and Nipponar. He had not met anyone from the last two that he could recall. There might need to be a bride from the West, and maybe one from the mysterious Eastern Empire as well. The title of Caesar was not hereditary, at least not yet, but he would father an army of heirs that he could use in the next generation to take control of the Empire more completely. One child to rule each island, in time. Just the thought of it caused him to sigh and sit back in his throne. It would take time, but he was young and only now coming into his power. More importantly, it would give him the goal he desperately needed to carry on.

ooc~ edits to correct a couple of typos
Last edited by Andolin on Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Someone has to be in charge, so it might as well be me.[/i]
Andolin Avatar by the Nice GD

Post by Guest »

Perhaps he dreamt of Adhiel women whispering his ear and caressing him, but alas the visitor he received was more masculine, and with lesser desires. Lord Loraith Kasvenir of Kislovan entered the throne room. He had not been in the Isle for some time and he did not know why he came now. A whisper had guided him, his face betrayed it. He had a worried look upon his brow, the years had aged him and fear stained his once beautiful face. He removed his blade from his scabbard, finest temprered Kislovani steel, the end of the blade was stained in blood, this sword had drunk deep upon the well of human misery and made many wives widows. Now Loraith drew it and flung it at the feet of this man, this Caesar. The sword clattered along the floor and rested at his feet, the blade stained with the blood and more seeming to flow from it.

These two were perhaps bound by a common goal, an ambition burnt like fire in both their hearts. They both resisted the bondage of morality in favour of power, wealth and luxury. But what was all that worth when the Isles were under threat. Kislovan was gripped in civil war as was Pan's Isle, demons attacked the last strongholds of the ancient islands. What was there to do but to look grave and ponder upon the nature of life. Loraith threw his sword down now as a symbol of things, it showed how much blood had been spilt from this man. The armour he wore, that of the Kislovani royal guard, that would catch the light in the sun now was covered in grime and muck.

"We live in dark times your grace, we are beset by troubles beyond our abilites and beings that could only exist in the gilded mutterings of the mad, I have waded knee deep in blood for you and what have I received? My men, good men all lie little more than shattered corpses, you sit astride your throne and what was it worth? The blood of many runs down the side, your hands are as stained as my sword, you may receive power beyond your dreams and visions of women pure, but what can you create from nothing? Nothing comes of nothing my Lord, no trees will grow from the ash of destruction nor babies born from the shattered wombs of the dead, from the ruins come bones not legends, and across the land the rivers run red. You might well think that you shall be recalled many years from now, in some ancient tome of forgotten lore, you might feel the need for legions of courtiers to bow, and you feel you can wield peace or war. But yours is a curse, not a boon, to sit upon that bloody throne, it does no create legends your grace, it merely steals the souls." He smiled sadly and removed his helmet, and held it under an arm, his hair hung limply down his back and his face bore the expression now of penitance. "Do you have orders for me my most sere highness?"
Alexandrya L`handriel
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Alexandrya L`handriel »

Alexandrya appeared in a portal of smoke and sparkles. She was dressed to please the Caesar. Her gown was sown with her mind. The material was light and sensuously bunched to nestle snuggly against her curves. It was not what the usual courtier would wear but it suited her purpose and did not inhibit her movement. It was not vulgar or inappropriate no matter how unclothed the Caesar wanted her outfit, it was still enough to feel as if she has kept her decency. Of course, she had practised to be comfortable with her sexuality and knew exactly how it could be used to manipulate and mess with people's minds. There was a veil to cover her mouth and her bright eyes were clear but also without any emotion. Her silvery hair was tied up in a high pony tail and styled with many braids to ensure her hair was not ever in her eyes.

She also had a dagger concealed for her protection during these dangerous times. It was not her method to usually confront people face to face. That was Loraith's job it seems as she noted his guard uniform. Dark, depressing times, am I here to entertain the Caeser...? Her movements were graceful and as elegant as a ballet dancer as she stepped forward out of the smoke and sparkles. She bowed deeply, her knees bent, hands forward, and her forehead almost touched the ground. It looked magnificently subservient and she knew she had practised it many times. She did not speak until Andolin had acknowledged her presence to beckon her closer to the throne. The aura on the man speaks of his desire for power and domination. He exudes it as if he wore it like an overpowering cologne. The precious pendant that she always wore was tucked between her cleavage so prohibit the movement of jingling things or else it would ruin any impromptu performances.

The Caesar was with another and the other seemed to describe the happenings of war. Perhaps that is why I am here also? So much death... She was new to the Citadel, or that is how she was being represented. She was here long ago when she was a child. Her life had come full circle. Will the daughter of her mother succeed? Succeed in what exactly? The emotions will tell her when it is her time to know. Those bright eyes had watched Andolin as well as Loraith, resting on Loraith for a flicker longer but all was done as discreetly as the two men spoke to each other. As soon as she was acknowledged, she would stand up to introduce herself.
Avatar is ©Nairohe, used with permission because she is the awesomest! [url=http://nairohe.deviantart.com/]Nairohe[/url]
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Surprised at the appearance of his visitor to the throne room of his mind, Andolin sat back to appraise the man. He was a complete stranger to him. Why has he appeared here? It could have been purely random, because of the nature of the unconcious mind, or it could have been symbolically meaningful. Mortals preferred to assume the latter, for what fun was it to assume that one's dreams were little more than a polyglot of random messages. No, it was much more challenging to find a hidden purpose and message in these aetheric encounters. It was a realm in which both the gods and the demons played as well, so it was not hard to fathom some subtle message could be contained therein.

"You act as if you know me sir," Andolin declared to Loraith, "but I recognize you not. Clearly you are Kislovan by your attire." The man spoke as if Andolin had been Caesar for many yahren and that he had been a soldier to him. Perhaps this was a glimpse of the future? Perhaps this man was to be a soldier carrying out the bloody work that was to come.

"Dark times indeed," Andolin agreed darkly. "But, darkness is a necessary payment if one is to relish the Light. The gods test us. They throw challenge after challenge upon us. Only the strong have a chance of surviving the ordeal that they place before us."

"My hands bear little blood, milord, but I have no doubt that they shall be awash in it soon enough. As for you, your orders are to not be deterred by that which drives the squeamish mad. There is no greater gift than loyalty and persistence. Serve me unwaveringly and we shall bring this Empire out of the gloom and darkness in time. I swear it" he declared solemnly.

The serious and ominous nature of the conversation was lightened by the arrival of Alexandrya. No matter how urgent the topic, how could a man with blood coarsing through his veins ignore the arrival of a woman so ... appealing? She was familiar to him but his mind was racing for an identity. Had he seen her in another dream, or somewhere in the waking world?

"Welcome milady. Your beauty does much to dispel the somberness of this place. Won't you share your name with us? Do you know why you are here?" Her arrival was much more consistent with what he had been dreaming about. Perhaps she was nobility from one of the Empire's far reaches. It was the adhiel soldier that had been a surprise ... but perhaps this dream was about allies to come ... a circle of those who would come to serve him in the days ahead.
Last edited by Andolin on Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Post by Fauna Winthrope »

From out of the shadows she came, golden mane artfully disarrayed and flowing behind her back as if the wind was stirring just for herself. Clad in a dark-purple (almost black), tattered gown with strange arcane emblems adorning the hem of her dress. She moved with feline purpose, gracefully flittering across the room as silent as a cat, her feet bare above the carpeted floor.

With a faint rustle of her robe, she moved forward, her blue eyes distant, bemused and cold at the same time, staring at the man on the throne, a man she knew. He was her patron and she was his protege, and she hoped that he was proud of what she had become as she was proud of the achievements that he had taken upon this... dreamlike day.

Fauna carried no weapon for she did not need one. She was weapon itself, a weapon of pure arcane: Aetheric, Netheric and blood combined and she carried her power around her like a cloak with familiar ease, like a gown tailored like a second skin. Yes, Fauna was becoming power, a power that was not mundane but beyond physical.

Silenty, she moved again, her demeanor imperious and with indiferent air, she took a single look of the woman kneeling. Whore! She thought as she impassively glanced at Alexandrya and moved passed her and looked equally before Ceasar that was her patron and with exqusite grace, she bowed before him, the very same graceful bow of Lady Rioja. "Your Imperial Majesty." She murmured and then moved up the dais and settled behind the left of the throne, at the background, silent and focused, as was befitting her status and title as the Imperial Thaumatergist.
"Cruelty has a Human Heart,
Jealousy a Human Face,
Terror the Human Form Divine,
and Secrecy the Human Dress."

-- William Blake
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

Walking into the room came a small human woman, her long dark hair bound back in a simple braid. She glanced uncomprehendingly at the expensive green silk gown that she wore, then looked up to see the men and women already in the room. None looked familiar to the diminutive Panling. What am I doing here?, she asked herself, taking a tentative step forward.

First she studied the man on the throne. A man of power. Did he call me here? Should I know him? No sense of recognition came. But the sense that he held the key to her being here was strong.

Then her eyes drifted back to the beautiful woman standing behind the throne. Her gown was tattered - it didn't seem to fit with the surroundings. But the way the woman stood, shoulders back, the cat-who-ate-the-canary smile, said that she belonged here far more than the Panling did. Something in the woman's blue eyes sent a shiver through her. She'd be dangerous to cross.

Next she noticed the golden-haired achadhiel wearing a Kislovani dhoti. He looked so... serious. He didn't seem to fit with the other three. Rather, he seemed weary, hard... He should smile more. It makes life easier to bear.

Finally, she took in the sensual achadhiel lass that stood before the throne. She felt something unusual looking at that woman - envy. The way her gown clung perfectly to her curves, the way her silver hair seemed to float around her. She's beautiful. What I wouldn't give to have that kind of beauty. Then common sense reasserted itself with a chuckle. You've never done badly yourself. Don't wish to be other than what you are.

All of these thoughts ran through her mind as she took her measured steps toward the throne, soft slippers making barely a sound as her feet touched the floor. When she stood a comfortable distance away, she curtsied to the man sitting before her. "M'Lord, I am Sevti Vrylan. This..." her cheeks flushed slightly. "This may seem odd, but I'm uncertain why I've been called to your presence."
"First let's just unzip your religion down" - [i]Crazy[/i], Tori Amos
Tickle-fight champion.
[i]Avatar is At the Edge of the World by Electra[/i]
Rosalie Marcada
Baroness Marcada, Ambassador World's Mouth

Post by Rosalie Marcada »

Rosalie stood near the window and periodically stared up to little bit of air she could see there. Freedom. When will you come my love?

She was wearing a deep burgundy velvet dress with a plunging neckline. This time without a bustle, the dress hugging around her form in a way that made her feel uncomfortable. She had long since given up bustles in the east. The mask was still at the Embassy, inconsequential now they knew who they were.

Her eyes turned to the court room. She was not here to please the Ceasar. Oh, no, not at all. Rosalie was here as an surety. The surety that the west would not attack for fear of her life. A kidnapped diplomat.

Rosalie gave a wry grin as she observed the whores that tried to bind the Ceasar to them. Oh yes, how eager they are. Not me though. Not me. Once Rame and Kaspar arrive I'm out of here. The lady of the Mouth was no fool. She knew she could be sacrificed at any moment and she did not relish the moment.
[size=84][color=darkred]This character has resigned and is now a NPC.[/color]

Post by Guest »

Loraith smiled and nodded his head, "Your grace I shall serve you till I am ripped asunder, know that for sure." He pursed his lips and moved forwards retreiving his sword, he slipped it back into its scabbard and flicked his head back, his hair moved as a single mass and patted the back of his armour sending caked mud down onto the floor. "My Lord we are so steep in blood that the way to salvation is as far as the way to utter damnnation, but I shall serve you." He let a faint smile cross his lips and spoke in a mysterious fashion, "Do we wish to clear the gloom your grace? After all the gloom that hangs over us keeps them in check, fear is a powerful restaint for the common man." He bowed deeply and cast glances at all the women that had appeared.

Fine specimens that much was for sure, he would have any of them if he was able. Often he stood by his master and watched him with them. Girls of all sorts passed through here, and his hands remained gripped on a sword. he made sure to catch Fauna's eye and smirk, they competed for his favour, she had charms he could not posess of course. But the blade and the art of magic side by side, they served as the muscles of the arms that stretched throughout the isles. He moved and stood at the right of the throne, the guardsman of the Caesar. The sword that drove through the heart of his foes and he stood silently holding his helm under one arm as he watched the people enter. He was here if he was needed.
Alexandrya L`handriel
Tazlure Supporter

Alexandrya's own introduction was delayed a flicker longer as Fauna appeared. She shivered with dread as Fauna drew too close and looked her way. Close enough for me to spit. Definitely too close. The woman, despite the knowledge of never meeting, caused the achadhiel's stomach to turn sour. This may be a bit more difficult than imagined. The thought flit across as her own eyes glanced at the unpleasant woman as she walked towards the Caesar with ease. Alexandrya could almost feel the smugness of the powerful woman that stood by Andolin's throne.

Outwardly, the achadhiel ignored the woman and kept herself focused on the Caesar. "Your Majesty's compliments are most kind. I am Alazandra Dysia. I believe I have been summoned here--"by you. Those last two words were not spoken as another had appeared and Alexandrya did not say anything more as she let Sevti speak her mind as well. Although, the Caesar seemed just as confused. She made sure that her thoughts were only her own. She was not sure what sort of power any of them possessed and it was not fun to have people read her as she tried to read their own emotions splashing off them.

She rose, sort of unfolding like a flower and stood proudly as she waited for the Caesar to speak. She did not doubt that all would be revealed in due time. Was he a good man or is his heart blackened by greed for power...if the gutter wench has any say for the type of company that he keeps...well it does speak volumes does it not? She noticed Rosalie and her heart tightened to fear, or hatred, but she kept her mind clear and her face blank.
Avatar is ©Nairohe, used with permission because she is the awesomest! [url=http://nairohe.deviantart.com/]Nairohe[/url]
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Others began to appear, as he suspected might happen. Once one created a place in one's mind in the aether, it could act like a magnet to some. Perhaps it was akin to fishing -- seeing who might end up in the net.

The arrival of Fauna was not a surprise. At least he recognized her and she recognized him. Such a lovely thing she was, but there was a darkness to her that suggested both a valuable and a dangerous friend. She had been rude to Elaine for no reason when diplomacy would have required her to be nice. If one made enemies for no reason, one would regret it soon enough. There were enemies aplenty in the Citadel. Friends and allies were harder to come by.

"Lady Fauna, how good of you to join us." Looking at the others he added, "she is an advisor on subjects of magic," he explained. That she stood behind him was an interesting statement. As a general matter, he did not like people standing behind him, where unseen daggers could flash. But, here, in a dream, and with someone he knew, he was more relaxed.

The arrival of Sevti was an interesting development. His eyes appraised her as well. A pretty thing. Her hair style marked her as a commoner in his eyes, making him wonder what had brought her hence.

As he glanced towards the windows in the distance, he caught sight of Rosalie. What is she doing here? She was not here to try and woo him, it seemed. She seemed almost agitated to be present. A part of him whispered of her being his captive rather than his guest. If so, she would warrant watching here. "A lady of the West graces us as well," he declared, as if to explain her presence.

"Milord," he spoke to Loraith quietly, "your service is gladly accepted. If you would stand sentry to that lady. Our relations with the West are ... strained at present. If you could stand beside her to ensure that ... no harm comes to her, it would set my concern to rest." There was no need for blades to protect him from the women assembled before him. In the aether, he could summon more effective aid against them.

"Ladies Sevti and Alezandra, be welcome here. I feel the gloom already lifting," he proclaimed with a small but warm smile. With his thoughts, he imagined the room much better lit with thousands of candles. "I find myself upon the throne of the Empire, contemplating its future when the two of you arrive, yet I know you not I think." He looked harder at the woman who named herself as Alezandra. She definitely looked familiar to him.

"If I summoned you, it would have been done unconsciously. There are forces here at work that have a way of uniting persons for higher purposes. Tell me more about yourselves so that, together, we might solve the riddle of your arrival. You are from the Empire, yes?" he asked more softly.
Last edited by Andolin on Mon May 01, 2006 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Fauna frowned as she saw Loraith gazed at her with a smirk. How she despised that odious man. Too impertinent and careless, but she needed him, he would be a fine pet, unlike Andolin, a man to himself, a man who oozed with power. But, a man with a power would soon atrract... jealousy and hatred.

Tsk. Tsk. My Imperial Majesty, such carelessness, such... confidence in yourself. Haven't you thought that there is a woman in every man's downfall. Tsk. Tsk. She thought to herself as the dark, sorceress saw him relaxed, her face still devoid of any emotions as she impassively looked at the court before her. This will be your doom, My Imperial Majesty. As I am fond of you, I fear that this will be the day that you die. You have outlived your usefullness for me and I cannot, as much as I tried, could not make you my creature. Isn't that why Loraith sought my aid? Isn't that why he chooses me to aid him for your downfall? I struggled against him at first for I am very fond of you, my mentor. But there is a time that an apprentice should supercede the Master and this will be the day. Fare thee well, my beloved Andolin, you cannot love me so you must die. You should be proud that your own student is plotting your assassination, you have taught me well, my patron.

She gave Loraith a small look, a look that said to do Andolin's will. Fauna knew that the Lady of the West was a captive, a prisoner against her will and she might be needin her aid for this day, a day that the Ceasar should fall. Assassinated by those he thought as allies.

Do his bidding, Loraith! Fauna carefully sent her voice to him, a voice that was passionless and devoid of any emotions. He should not sense anything. The Lady of the West might be able to aid us for she longs for her freedom.

With that, she turned her flawless, blonde head and stared at Rosalie, her cerulean eyes cold and utterly devoid of any emotions. What will you sacrifice, Lady Rose, for your freedom? She thought to herself, drawing the aether around her and placing her mirror-shield with familiar ease. Wilt thou betray this man before you for your empire? We shall see and perhaps, when Loraith as the Ceasar, I can manipulate him and your empire could strike its way to the Eastern Empire. Of course, I will be needing your vow that I shall have dominion and rule of the Seven Empire as the Ceasari under the yoke of the West. Wilt thou bite, My Lady Rose? We shall see where this will end...
Last edited by Fauna Winthrope on Mon May 01, 2006 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Fialessa Valenstri
Panling Priestess

Post by Fialessa Valenstri »

Drawn in she was like a fly into a spider's web, she wondered if she was to be toyed with and then eaten. What was this place where she was, and who were all these people. This was not a place she would normally frequent, what was she doing here, she hadn't intended to come...

Entering fully into the room the adhiel girl had the strangest feeling she'd been in a similar situation before. Something about being in a room where the women outweighed the number of men... The blond and the white haired achadiel seemed familiar but of their names nothing came. Two other women she saw, both decidedly human, one with a braid in green and the other for some reason she thought would be better suited to the colour pink. Her nose wrinkled distastefully, something about that woman made her slightly uneasy. Her discomfort only showed for but a touch before her gaze swept first a blond man, subservient seeming and the the other darker one, he seemed to have a touch of regal of him, was it affected...

Not timidly she walked across the floor in measured movements, the length of her shimmering coppery locks flowing like a fiery river down her back. Her gown a silken ivory whisper against her skin with a diaphanous golden overdress. Fialessa's amber gaze rested on the dark haired man as she came to stand not so very far behind the lady in green. It was he... He who brought us hear... called us to himself... She did not interrupt his questions and answers merely waiting patiently for when it became appropriate for her to speak.
[i][color=black][size=84]There is a fine line between coincidence and fate...

[url=http://hito76.deviantart.com/]Avatar is 'Karelle' from the drawing Intimite by Hito, used with permission.[/url][/size][/color][/i]
Rosalie Marcada
Baroness Marcada, Ambassador World's Mouth

Post by Rosalie Marcada »

Etiquette was the core of Rosalie. While she was a clear prisoner, even without the shackles, she curtisied nonetheless upon Andolins call. "All hail the Dark Domus," she murmurred so softly it was not likely to reach the throne. She looked up at him with her amber eyes, full of accusation, of challenge.

The lady observed all the intrigue, all the pleasing of the Ceasar. She was not here to please. She was here to survive, to observe. A dark olive skinned sinister presence.

Her eyes swept briefly over Loraith. She did not know his face. She knew his voice however and long ago she had recognized and identified him as Kislovani, which made him an enemy. The lady did not act however, she only watched.

OOC: back in five days!
[size=84][color=darkred]This character has resigned and is now a NPC.[/color]
Jolanda

Post by Jolanda »

Jolanda's lips twisted darkly, leaning back to see whom the Madame Consul spoke of... she saw Andolin, though it was Loraith whom she recognized. The burglar who had spoken so derisively to the Legionnaires, her eyes narrowed.

It would not surprise any that knew them, that Jolanda stood in Rosalie's shadow, even here, kidnapped in the Citadel.

"Your concern is most generous..." she replied to Andolin's order to Loraith as she stepped forth, "milord. However Lady Lo Russo does not need the care of one such as he." her voice held contempt for Loraith, whom she had judged from the instant she first saw him as little more than an idiot.

"However, I am rather thirsty, why don't you run along now, and fetch us some wine." her tone imperious and smug, thinking that she was swiftly ridding the Consul from suffering the Kislovani's presence.

Who these other women gathering were, she didn’t care, paying them little heed. Spoilt nobles no doubt, she hated them all, she wanted to be just like them.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

If it was a dream, it was one of the oddest dreams Scatha had ever had.

It wasn't one of the usual dreams involving handsome blonde princes feeding her cherries, or the ones of Daisy Applebottom suffering several indignities (these usually had an most satisfactory ending involving her arch rival and a vat of silage). It wasn't even one of the peculiar dreams where Scatha thought she was sitting right on top of an enormous fir tree, or the ones where she was the outside of a sausage roll.

This dream was different.

Here she was, in a throne room. At least, it looked like a throne room; it had a golden throne, and the unpleasant man with big ears that she'd met at the Citadel was sitting on it. Purple really isn't his colour, Scatha mused to herself in the odd-dream. Red or scarlet, yes, but not purple... and that throne! Far too show-off and uncomfortable for anyone to sit on. There were other people in the odd-dream too; several women, all very beautiful (typical, she thought to herself - I end up in a dream where I'm not the prettiest one in the room) - and another, a man standing with a bloodied blade. That looks unpleasant, Scatha thought to herself, and checked for the whip hanging coiled at her belt. The touch of Dortish leather felt comforting against her fingers.

"Well, this is nice," she said cheerfully. "Did anyone bring the sandwiches?"
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Mon May 01, 2006 5:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Image by kind permission of Peter Town - check out his great work at Elfwood!

"Cleavage & attitude can carry a girl a *long* way"

Post by Guest »

Loraith leaned into his lord as he was given instructions and nodded, fine bred girls from the West he could look after quite happily. He put his helm back on and cast a glance at Fauna, he nodded softly at her to let her know she was inside his head, she suggested things and he did them, it had served him well thusfar. He moved to the Lady of the West and merely stood by her, he did not introduce himself but merely by his presence let her know that he was her custodian and she would not move away from him.

Lo Russo was not causing him any trouble but her sidekick seemed to want to make a mockery of this place, "You think you shall have wine my pet? You are the one that hides behind your mistress and yet tries to whisper in her voice, a grim reflection of her." He eyed her, once he had been foolish but now he had seen what the world had to offer and had gained some wisdom at last, "But we have met before have we not? In less plesant surrounds, well I have had dealings with the West and let me tell you if I were sitting on that throne I should have you both thrown into our deepest darkest Oubliette, but tell me, where is Haegen now, where are your guards your precious Condotierre? They are far away, only my guard surround you now. I conduct the palace like an orchestra and you shall writhe and wriggle in my web for all you are worth but to no avail." He smiled and just to make his point put one of his big hands on one each of their arms effectively holding them to him, he did not hurt them but was firm, they could break away if they wished but he would just restrain them in a manner he found more pleasurable. "Now my precious flowers, lets not stray too far from my side, of course stray from the eyes of the Caesar and you are in my domain and a world with nothing but my vice and immortality." He stood and cast a glance at Fauna again, he wanted instruction.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

Concealed confusion thrummed within the adhiel mage as he strode into the throne room. A measured and graceful stride that held a subtle but definate air of confidence. One that had been won through hardship and not flouted in arrogance. Ashtallion cast his eyes about the room, not really noticing anyone until he fixed a brief glance on the Ceasar. One look told him that this was no Anochrim and a for short moment a pained line drew across his brow, yet it vanished swiftly as he regained control over himself once more. The light caught his hair perfectly, shimmering with golden hues, reflecting off the golden eyes that still regarded the Ceasar curiously. He supressed a smirk, remaining relatively void of expression.... only a polite interest showing through his otherwise withdrawn facade.

Robed in red, fitted, golden threads woven into the hem and cuffs. Over the slim fitting mage robe a coat of black that reahced the floor also. Perhaps somewhat extravagant for the usually humble mage, however he felt the need to express an air of refinement.....from where it came he could not tell, it was simply there. Still, the outfit suited him. His delicate adhiel features, not so much handsome as they were beautiful, were defined and accentuated by the robes. The Pelegrim was not to be seen around his waist, for some reason it had not seemed fitting to wear it while entering the throne room of the Ceasar.

Walking slightly further into the room, he stopped some distance before the man upon the throne, bowing from the waist. " My Lord. Tis a pleasure to be in your presence..... Ashtallion Urdil, a mage of meager standing. ", he withdrew slightly, this time only nodding his head. His introduction over, he stood close enough incase the man wished to make a reply. It gave him time though to study those already within the throne room.

Loraith! This one he knew and a sensation of relief and regret sweapt over him, which in turn the mage sweapt aside. The other he was not certain on, strange faces, all no doubt with strange pursuits for the man upon the throne. He wanted to scoff but refrained from making a sound. The last person he set eyes almost froze his heart, for it may as well have turned to ice. His face became a mask of winter as he regarded the Sorceress Fauna. Eyes filled with fire and malcontent even as his face and heart chilled with a mixture of dread and ire. Fauna Winthrope. Ashtallion could almost feel the power rolling from her, the woman had indeed advanced herself, but through what sickening powers did she attain this? He was both repulsed and intrigued.

The urge to lash out with whips of flame was almost overwhelming, luckily he possessed just enough control to stop even that. Instead, Asht remained silent, eventually ripping his eyes from her. So seductively charming and inticingly dark.....true his inclinations lay elsewhere, her physical form did nothing for him. It was the power she could potentially possess that seduced the adhiel so swiftly, his craving for it was becoming more and more obvious. All he could do was wait and see if she made any move.
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Fauna rolled her blue eyes heavenward as if seeking the aid of the gods and sighed. Why did Loraith have to get aid my aid? Why did he just not take that bloodied sword and fall upon it? She thought with chagrin. Loraith's gaze was like a flag, a banner, signaling there were something fishy going on between the two of them and she knew that somehow, the Ceasar would definitely smell what was going on. It was like putting a large poster with a 'Traitor' upon her neck to be clearly seen by the people. Dear gods! Have I decided wrong? Maybe she could back out this instance and tell the Ceasar of Loraith's plot. But then, the dark sorceress knew, it would be the end of her and her rise to power.

Fauna shook her golden, artfully disarrayed head, giving a signal that no further instructions would be given to Loraith. This was a dangerous ground and the Ceasar, a very dangerous man. One needed to tread carefully around him. There would be no plan, for if you plan things, the omnipotent and august Ceasar would know of it. Loraith would have to move by his own instructions.

"Unhand the gracious ladies this instant, Master Kasvenir..." From behind the throne, Fauna turned and hissed faintly and tried to release a small spurt of the aether with a flicker of hand, her voice cold and full of malice and contempy for the Kislovani. She hoped that her sibilant whisper would slither through the air and lingered around the fool Kislovani and the two Westerner ladies. She gave Loraith a cold look, her cold eyes brimming with Aetheric energies. "His Imperial Majesty declaired that no harm shall befall them and his word is the law or would you rather pit thy prowess against me..." She shifted her cold eyes from Loraith and looked at Jolanda briefly and then back to the impertinent Kislovani.

With a disgusted sniff, she shifted her indifferent eyes back to the court and saw the appearance of other people and one caught her attention, her ceruluean eyes watching the swift and gracefull entrance of Ashtallion to the court. It was the first time that Fauna's face changed, awashed with but a small fraction of an amused emotion, her well plucked eyebrow arched.

Gracefully, she shifted and leaned closer to her patron and said: "Master Ashtallion Urdil, but he lies. He is not a meager wizard but a Warrior Magius of the University of Magick and by law, under your jurisdiction, your Imperial Majesty." With that, she stepped back into the background, watchful and vigilant as ever for the Ceasar Azarin.
Last edited by Fauna Winthrope on Tue May 02, 2006 1:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Fauna was right to worry, for Andolin's paranoia made him seek out any sign of betrayal. Yet, even if he was not cognizant of subtleties, Loraith all but shouted that he was Fauna's creature. He looked to her like a school boy would look to a teacher for permission. Any man that swore service to Andolin would look to Andolin for his orders ... not the court mage. What are you hiding from me Little Fauna? You shall require me to read your mind ... something I should have done already by now.

The arrival of Fialessa brought an appreciative smile. That brought the count of lovely Empire ladies to three. Of course, there was Rosalie, and her servant. Really, both of them were quite attractive, he had to admit, but if they would not work for him, he could spare them little attention.

Loraith was quite dramatic in his reply to Jolanda. Too dramatic my Kislovan friend. These are two unarmed ladies. Attempting to scare them is really unnecessary ... as well as unlikely to work. Fauna's reply to Loraith was even more dramatic. Everyone seemed to be threatening everyone, when it was his right to threaten people. Really, this was quite taking the fun out of being Caesar. "Really, there is no reason to threaten the Western ladies Loraith. I offer only the greatest hospitality to my guests. Do not make me a poor host," he chided.

When Scatha arrived, Andolin's first instinct was to laugh, but he choked it down. It's the farm girl! Are you here to arrange a farm dance perhaps? He warred with the notion of humiliating her. Yet, if she was the innocent farm girl that she portrayed, what sport would that be? Men in power enjoyed sport after all.

Might this be all a ruse? What if Scatha is playing the naive farm dolt, but underneath is a clever, manipulative, scheming witch? If she was, he would like her better no doubt, for he always had a weakness for creatures like himself ... though there was a certain appeal to brainless blonds like Etain. Are you another Etain Scatha? Are you destined to be nothing but a pawn for men in power?

"Ah, Miss Scatha, how nice of you to join us," Andolin declared as he stood from his throne. He could not address a country bumpkin as a lady, so he called her simply Miss. When she asked about sandwiches, he choked down a laugh. She was amusing, he had to give her that; but, no one could be so ignorant. It had to be a ruse.

"Sandwiches are so ... common ... Scatha. With your arrival, I think champagne is more in order." He willed there to be Imperial liveried servants carrying trays of the finest of champagnes. There was one servant per guest, including the Westies.

As Ashtallion entered, Andolin paused to greet the man. "You are welcome here Master Mage." It was clear that he knew Fauna and there seemed to be no love loss. That was good. That meant he could play off the two against each other so he could learn about the secrets of each. Fauna had just proven herself to be someone who should be watched ... and not just because of that alluring beauty. "Perhaps we can speak in private later," he replied to the mage, casting a look behind him to judge Fauna's response.

"Everyone, this is Scatha. Some at court would have her be Caesarii, so I would ask you to show the proper respect. Scatha, you know me of course. Over there are our Western guests, the Consul Lo Russo and her .... assistant." He paused to let Jolanda offer her name. "Their handsome escort for the evening ... the one with the bloodstained sword is Sir Loraith, a Kislovan knight. Behind me is Lady Fauna, and advisor in the arcane. Before me are the Ladies Alezandra and Sevti. This copperheaded beauty has yet to name herself." This was an invitation for Fialessa to introduce herself.

"Tell us Honored Scatha, if you were Caesarii of the Empire, what would be your wishes?" It was an attempt to see if she would continue her charade of ignorance or speak more cleverly to protect herself from ridicule. "What would make you a better Caesarii than these other ladies present?"

"Perhaps we make a game of it. Each of you offers up the wishes you would have were you a Caesarii," he declared sportingly. This might be fun.
Alexandrya L`handriel
Tazlure Supporter

Alexandrya groaned inwardly, Are all Kings and Caesars supposed to be pompous perverts? Are they all stamped at birth with, pervert, pompous, underlined with idiot or power hungry jerk? Why do all men believe women want to marry them? She made sure that she did not smirk at the game that the Caesar wanted to play. This was not one worth fighting over Caesar or not...

It was good that there were a lot more people in this large throne room but some of the people's egos were clearly making the room feel small. It did delay her own reply to who she was which she was grateful for. In fact, she did not think that it needed answering with all the other people that had suddenly appeared before the Caesar.

She moved to the side to enhance her purview of the mob that was forming before the Caesar. Will he be able to withstand whatever these people have in store for him? She did move to one side to get everyone in her purview. The achadhiel did notice the silent exchange between Fauna and Loraith which practically screamed of some inner workings probably something very devious and malicious. The whole room felt cutthroat to her and something very interesting will come of this meeting. Perhaps it is a good thing I decided to come even if it is just to witness another's demise.

The one that called himself Ashtallion was very handsome, almost as beautiful as Fauna. She did not know if it was a good thing to be more beautiful than a woman. They could almost be twins--but what exactly is this exchange between the two? Too much power that keeps this scale to be very uneven, why does it seem that magic always becomes distorted and made to look evil when it is the user that manipulates it for such? The one currently calling herself Alazandra sighed softly and sadly at all the conspiracy that was being created amongst the people that have had the pleasure of gathering today. So very sad...Is the cause for good so over-rated that it is slowly being stamped out with poisonous manipulations? She definitely did not like the looks that were being passed along and again that cold shiver ran down her back as if Death's fingers had tapped her spine.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

To be quite honest, Scatha couldn't remember the man's name. She'd only met him once before, very fleetingly, and the overwhelming impression had been of rudeness and big ears. Of course, at the time he was tidying up after someone who had been murdered, so she was quite prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt on the rudeness. She wasn't entirely sure that she trusted him, even with the newly acquired manners; there was something of a fox about him. You wouldn't trust him with your chickens, Scatha thought to herself.

She did feel a faint pang of disappointment at the lack of sandwiches - with all these people, you'd have thought he could have have managed a loaf of bread and some cheese - but something called champagne was going to be served instead. Perhaps that was a polite word that rich people used for sandwiches.

A servant appeared (seemingly out of nowhere) at her elbow, and at this point Scatha became quite sure it was all just a dream, and relaxed a little. If it was a dream, it wasn't real, and as a consequence none of it really mattered, just as long she didn't need to visit the smallest room in the palace. She didn't want servants suddenly appearing at her elbow when she was about her business in the privvy.

The servant was carrying a tray of elegant glasses filled with a pale golden liquid; the liquid in turn contained hundreds of tiny bubbles. There weren't any sandwiches, though. Scatha took a glass, looked at it doubtfully, sipped the liquid... and sneezed. "Sorry," she remarked, wipping her nose with the back of her hand. "Bubbles went right up my nose." Champagne seemed to be something like sour cider that made you sneeze, apparently. I think I'd rather be common and not sneeze, Scatha thought. She took another tentative sip, then nearly choked as the fox-like man said that some people at court wanted her to be Caesarii. She knew what a Caesarii was - it was like a Caesar, only female, and you got to rule the world. She had got Barrett to explain that to her, but then he'd started confusing her with the differences between Kings and Dukes and Lords. All she knew was a Caesar was bigger than all the others, and therefore a lot of people wanted to be it.

Definitely a dream, Scatha thought, wiping the fine spray of champagne off her chin. It's like the ones where I get to be Spring Queen, or where the prince kisses me... only this time, I get to be Caesarii... "Well, for starters, I'd make sure sandwiches were laid out if I knew people were visiting," she remarked, hoping the fox-like man would take the hint. "And I'm not sure why you're asking me in the first place." She looked at him appraisingly; no... definitely not to be trusted with the chickens. "You're the one wearing purple, with a crown upon your head, and you were sitting on the throne. Is that what you want to be, the Caesar?"
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Tue May 02, 2006 11:06 am, edited 7 times in total.
Image by kind permission of Peter Town - check out his great work at Elfwood!

"Cleavage & attitude can carry a girl a *long* way"
Jolanda

Post by Jolanda »

Jolanda's opinion of Loraith failed to improve, "If you wished to dance, you need only have asked..." her teeth were clenched behind her smile as she resisted the urge to jerk her arm away from his grasp.

Her eyes slid to Fauna as the woman looked towards her. Filmy recollections. She gave Fauna a faint nod in recognition as Loraith was told to let them go. Both sets of eyes returned to Loraith, though Jolanda's now held fresh smugness, So who is the lap dog here?

"Lady Jolanda..." she offered to the growing assembly as Andolin introduced those he knew, and allowed those unknown to introduce themselves. She looked around the others with a tilt to her chin. It did not seem that friendships were strong here.

Blood stained sword? She had not noticed Loraith's weapon, her stomach roiling as she looked, though at the same time a notion occurred to her. She smiled, as the Lord Chamberlain posed a game of three wishes. She smiled at Loraith, as some girl talked about sandwiches. "Perhaps I spoke too hastily, would you accept my apology Sir Loraith." she asked quietly, while he'd been ordered to unhand her, she now took his arm of free will.

" 'Honored Scatha'..." she addressed the naive girl, "I would guess by your first desire as Caesarii of the Empire, that you are certainly a wife any man can afford." she glanced towards Fauna and winked.

"What a delightful game," she commended Andolin, "so revealing. My own three wishes… I would have a colorful parade, a national holiday, and two dozen attendants appointed." She truly wanted a parade, she supposed that every girl did. As the other ladies were given the opportunity of joining in the game too, Jolanda savourd her own sweet imaginings of cheering crowds offering her adoration.
Last edited by Jolanda on Tue May 02, 2006 1:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Loraith gave a sarcastic look as Jolanda quibbed at him but upon Andolin's words he released her hand albeit reluctantly, torn between rulers he had ever been a follower never a leader. His sword needed direction before it swung. However somewhere at the very core of his being Loraith was indeed a knight with some of the virtues of that most noble of professions. He smiled somewhat shamefully, "No it was I who should apologise, in these troubled times I forget my self and my place." He gently took her hand and kissed it as means of an apology and then let her take his arm.

He stood back finding this game very amusing, when the troubles in the world went onwards and the Caesar should have been solving the difficulty of the Isles, defending his realms and closing the Nether rifts here he was collecting a harem and indulging them in fantasy. And yet Loraith found it pleasurable to not be worried, instead he enjoyed the attractive girl on his arm willingly for once and listen attentively as words were spoken. He hoped his sword would need not drink this evening as it had done in the past, "My Lady chooses wisely, I have seen enough rulers who persue power, perhaps it is indeed time for passive measures." He leant in and whispered those words to Jolanda, his other arm was naturally now away from Rosalie but he kept an eye on her, he wanted to make sure she did not wander off.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

OOC~ I am replying to Scatha, but I encourage the others to feel free to assume they offered their own thoughts and wishes before this reply. By replying piecemeal, it will save me from doing one 1000 word post per complete cycle. ;)

IC~

Poor Alezandra. She was in the correct place, or so it seemed. Rulers who were just, kind, patient, humble, and acting only in the common good existed ... only in her dreams. To become Caesar of the Empire, one needed to either be a complete naive bumpkin, such as Scatha was appearing to be, so the throne could be ignored, or if one wanted to unite the Empire, one needed power. To exercise power in this carnival of personalities and self-interests, one needed to be clever and manipulative. If one did not have ego and ambition, one would not expend the energy and risk one's neck in trying. Of course, Andolin was a man with sufficient self-confidence to believe he could pull it off. He would be a great Caesar, even in the darkest times in the Empire. It was a time that required a man of action and vision. Andolin, humbly, viewed himself as that man.

Alezandra was wrong about her assumption that all powerful men thought only that women wanted to marry them. Though ever on the alert for an opportunity and an opportunist, Andolin was happy to associate with women he did not intend to marry, such as Fauna, Rees and Elaine. His thoughts of marriage were reserved to ladies that could advance his political agenda. He needed women that could demonstrate the appropriate skill and blood lines to bind their respective islands and nations to him, and their children.

Surprised that it was the Westerner Jolanda that sought to play first, Andolin turned to give her an encouraging smile and nod. Hopefully the others would join in for a bit of fun. The Tether could be so dark, that one should look for sport where one could find it. A parade? At first he thought to dismiss it in a patronizing way, but she did have a point about a parade. It was a show of power. Perhaps a parade would be a good thing.

Scatha had yet to demonstrate their was more depth to her as he watched her. He would treat her well enough, for it was possible that she could still become Caesarii, or the Duke could insist that he marry her as some sort of compromise. A shudder went down his spine as he contemplated the thought. Oh, she was pretty enough ... in a rustic sort of way; but, she would embarrass him and the throne at every turn, unless he could train her. His eyes appraised her again.

With a bow, Andolin uttered, "as you wish." Now it was that there were servants bearing trays of sandwiches of multiple variety. Andolin had not been born with a silver spoon, so he knew how to imagine common fare. "Are these to your liking?" he asked solicitously.

Her question to him about wanting to be Caesar was very insightful, whether it was deliberate or not. It put him on the defensive and it made him wonder whether this was the sign that she really was feigning ignorance.

"Ah yes, Caesar. I have been nominated by the Council for the post, but here I thought to imagine it. There is pomp to be sure Scatha, but it is not a position that anyone should really want. It is only a position that one must agree to accept. It has the trappings of all that glitters and that is noble in life, but it really is a position that requires attention to uniting the Empire and defending it from its many enemies, foreign and domestic. Sadly, we are learning that not all its enemies are mortal."

"So, do I want to be Caesar, or am I content to remain Lord Chamberlain? I want what we all should want ... the dream of what could be if one were able to make it happen. It is only the dream that is worth pursuing, and only by one who has the resolve to make it happen when all the glitter falls away to reveal the ugliness that enshrouds the position when we walk the halls of the palace in the daylight."

Taking a lighter note, he added, "the silk robes do look nice ... and the crown helps make me more regal looking I suppose," he laughed. "But, if that was all I wanted, I could come here and stand before a mirror for tides. Any of you could do so as well," he offered. "That is why I thought to play this game. Beyond the trappings, what would be your wishes I wonder." His eyes swept the room to invite responses from not just Scatha, but others in attendance as well.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

Advisor in the arcane! Ashtallion wanted to laugh, he had a strong feeling as to what her knowledge of magic was steeped in. Yet of course, he held his tongue, not wanting to arouse too much suspicion of their connection. The mage watched the Sorceress closely as she had leaned forward to whisper into the throne seekers' ear. He did not have to imagine what was being said, perhaps she uttered false-hoods laced with dark influence, Ashtallion did not know the extent of her prowess, vile or otherwise. Even still his eyes rarely left her from her shadowy position behind the throne, his gaze flicking infrequently to Andolin as he introduced the other strangers present. Yes, we shall speak later and I will find out how Fauna came to be so......influencial? If even she is that.

He did not correct Andolin when addressed as Master Mage. Ashtallion still did not consider himself such. He knew what real power was and he was far from it.....for now. In all honesty he hardly cared what was being said, his whole focus was on Fauna. His mind pulled back the curtain of reality, his vision looking out for something that normal eyes would not percieve. Any unveiling of sorcery would not go undetected, unless she had indeed grown skillful in her arts.

Return to “Erulzat Archives”