~~Secrets~~ (Mystery, Samheen 28th-29th, closed)

Moderator: Mods

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

(OOC: Finley and Tanaquil depart to here. Asht, if you wish to depart the chamber, please post to do so and I'll spin you out appropriately when you're ready.)

Not a full burn after the great report from the West Wing, and the staff were already on the move. Just as Finley and Tanaquil disappeared into the Reception Room to the West, the house footman entered through the same door having only just passed them on the way in. He wasn't yet wet despite the arrival of the storm...a small blessing, that...but he knew it was likely he would become very, very wet before the night was out.

"Signor Armstrong has taken his carriage and advised me to inquire about..." the footman's voice fell away as he noticed Gavin's hold upon Clovis, the butler. His pox-marked, youthful face blinked a few times in rapt amazement under his dark, hat-covered head. "Ah..." he said, uncertain of just how to proceed. Fortunately, he would not be alone for long, as Nicholas should be arriving very soon...

----------------------------

Brigandine was certainly not designed to be comfortable...but it did well enough. The guard that entered wore a very typical vest of brigandine armor, a leather coat layered and rivetted with plates in a horizontal fashion, and draped over this was his surcoat that, once again, bore the livery of the house Ardemus (a livery that was black with the gold stylus of a cog upon it...an altogether ugly heraldry, but one perhaps appropriate for the estate). Below this were dark leather trousers and tall, sturdy boots, and kurbul pauldrons protected both shoulders without adding too much to the man's bulk or weight yet still providing a respectable amount of coverage.

For arms, the man had a few daggers...more than most guards...and one very wicked shortsword that any local might call an estoc. The weapon could, like any sword, cut...but it was most notorious for it's rather ugly stabs that would open wounds of an unreasonable size for their depth. He hadn't had his weapon readied when he entered the dining room...how could there have possibly been a need?...but upon inspecting the scene (and catching sight of Clovis turned hostage) he quickly moved his hand to his pommel and stared around in rapt amazement. "What in all the hells happens here?" he said, staring from the butler to Gavin and back to the butler. The expression on his dusky-skinned, dark complexion was one of shocked disbelief, as if he absolutely refused to accept what he saw before his eyes.

The guard had entered from the double doors to the South of the dining room, just near where Gavin and the butler stood (no more than a couple paces away, in fact). The cook, clearly uninterested in the drama unfolding in the room, merely continued his soup service, even for those places now vacated. He silently wheeled his soup tureen back to the East side of the table, circling north to avoid the unusual situation with the hostage and the entering guard.
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

It appeared that at least some of the assembled gathering would pay at least some attention and stop to gather their thoughts, before rushing off. At least two of the guests had already left and others seemed to be making a move to leave as well.

Rhoddin looked at Gaelena, thankful at least one other had agreed with his thoughts, a nodded thanks in her direction. Draydis' response did surprise him a bit as he expected the tattooed elf to simply continue to move in some direction. In response to his comments about Grant, Rhoddin managed a short reply. "I seriously doubt whether any of us could actually stop him, even if we wanted too, something tells me that we are dealing with most unusual happenings, and people here tonight."

To those who chose to listen he continued. "I think an organised search to determine what has happened here would be in order. If we could break into groups, maybe with each group including a warrior of some sort, and perhaps a magic user, I suspect we have several of each amongst us. Maybe someone with some sort of healing skill would be good as well.

"Then if we allocated various parts to search, and meet at a predetermined spot, maybe back here to exchange information and decide our next plan of attack." The young man paused, it was not often he espoused so much information at any one time, and took a flicker or two to see what reaction his suggestions might gain, amongst those who chose to listen.

OOC: have posted a bit early, but given when I post (being in Oz) thought it was appropriate to wade in, hope no one is offended, cheers

More OOC: sorry Grant we must have posted nearly together, should I alter my post, please advise, ta Rhoddi
Last edited by Rhoddin on Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=blue]Back from the brink, but still lost, damn some times just never change.[/color]
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

OOC: Sorry about the delay. The things have gone a bit farther than I wanted, cause I missed my turn. Won't happen again.

His actions have been perhaps a bit rash. Gavin acted on impulse and under the influence of Draydis' actions and he now regretted his choice. Not much, but just a hint of regret was there. Okay, maybe I am not quite in my element. Threatening people with a fork at a posh party. Quite barbaric. Funny even. As it was, his attention was still focused on the butler, the other becoming a slight murmur in the background. The fork in his hand, Gavin clutched Clovis' forearm and glared. Words slowly registered on him. Words spoken by others. They are right. I should calm down. No need to get violent. Not yet, at least.

It was then that Draydis appeared by his side, and Gavin nodded to his words, still holding the butler's arm. "Yes, that is just what I thought. Information." It was then that the guard entered, Gavin's eyes catching the glint of his armor. Just a flick of his eyes, told him everything he needed. The edge in his eyes melted slowly, a grip growing a bit more lax, as he tucked the fork into his coat pocket. The fact that guard was there mattered little in his decision, in fact it was that presence that almost made him reconsider letting go of the butler. The man was his insurance should the guard decide to get violent. Fortunately for him, the Dortman was quite capable of taking care of Clovis without a fork in his hand.

Moving his hand to smooth out the wrinkles his grip made on the butler's suit, Gavin smiled, perhaps a bit too sweetly. "I'm sorry. I just don't like explosions. They make me jumpy and I do stupid things. I hope there will be no more." He cast an inquiring glance at Clovis, fully expecting an answer and watching him intently for any sign of evasion of truth. No matter what the answer was, the big man would not press the issue right now. "I am sure you are busy. So, I'll leave you to your duties. But, when you have the time I would like to have a talk with you. There are too many secrets for my taste and I would like some answers if I can get them. Did I mention that I also hate secrets and unanswered questions?" This time his smile was a bit more genuine. "I guess I am not a nice man to be around."

Then the tall man turned towards Rhoddin. Ignoring the guard and his sword, his body was tense for the sound of the blade leaving the sheath. Though he did not expect that to be necessary, he was quite ready to defend himself. "You are right. We need to find out what happened here, but I have another proposal. We can cover more ground if we split up, but I suggest that one group remains here and interviews the staff so we can see what they know. Mister Armstrong mentioned them not reporting the disappearance, and while it may be nothing, I am quite prone to suspicion. Perhaps some minute details they deem unimportant can give us a glimpse as to what happened." Smiling once more he gazed at all those gathered. "For my part, I promise I will refrain from such rash actions as I have exhibited. I'll try to calm my nerves a bit. "
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

" I know.... ", the mage looked towards the direction of the west wing before looking back to Dray, " ....I have other means of searching for traps and such.... if indeed there are any. But another set of eyes and ears would be greatly appreciated if you want to come along with us Dray. ", he folded his hands into the sleeves of his robes, appearing very wizard-like

To the achadhiel, Talanwei, and the human girl Becca, " If its ok with you both.....lets get moving. I want to see the damage and if there is anything we can do to help. Bare in mind what Dray has pointed out, the West Wing is most likely dangerous, the labratory may be in flames... and more explosions could occur. I'll be shielding ahead of myself so it might be best if you remain behind me. "

OOC: Ready to depart Mister Grant!! :)
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

Post by Lir Calysta Markby »

The pirate watched the exchanges. She stared at Grant as he spoke and evaded all questions and generally acted odd. The explosion caused her to jump as she looked about to check on the integrity of the building. It was noted that the two servants assisting the dinner had looked towards the West when the exploison was heard.

Then as soon as the glasses were filled the butler headed out towards the south end of the chamber. Everything after the explosion everything turned into a blurred moving picture. Dray suddenly knocked his chair back and went after after Grant. Then the bearded man went for the butler as the blond Adhiel headed towards the same door to investigate the explosion as Talanwei said he would follow Asht. The wing full of danger before the explosion...?

The guard finally burst into the room and noticed Gavin holding the butler captive but it was the cook that made her brow raise. It is like he doesn't even acknowledge that most have left the dinner table. What in the Nether is going on?

She wasn't ready to venture the puzzle wing of death to check out what actually made the explosion, but she wasn't sure what exactly would come to holding the butler hostage. Instead, she looked down to see the soup that was just served. Lir noticed the drink that was poured and noticed that Gavin's drink was spilt over the table. The woman looked for anything that might be considered even more suspicious and the answer to why they were all here.
Beautiful avatar by [url=http://nairohe.deviantart.com/]Nairohe![/url] ^_^
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

A chill shot down the healer's back as the group began to talk of splitting up. Her experiences with dividing the group up were not good ones. If there really was a foe that they need fear here, there was strength in numbers. Divided into small groups, they would be easier to pick off.

"Do we think it wise to separa...." she began as the self announced groups began to leave the room. Standing, she turned to Rhoddin and the other remaining guests.

"Much as I dislike the idea of venturing to this other wing, I am not sure splitting up is a grand idea. Perhaps we should go with them?" she looked up at Rhoddin, remembering the last time she was at a meal cut abruptly short at Dragon's Keep.

"Hopefully there will be no dragons this time," she commented softly to Rhoddin.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

The young man was also remembering disturbed meals, and dragons. "Aye, one encounter with dragons will be quite enough for this bard thank you."

Rhoddin had also noticed that several groups seemed to be splintering away from the main group, and drifting off. He hadn't intended to many small groups.

"If you'd rather stay as one group, I'll not say otherwise Shae. As log as we stay together, I'll follow you wherever you decide, even to the West Wing."
[color=blue]Back from the brink, but still lost, damn some times just never change.[/color]
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Frustration was beginning to set in with the normally very calm healer. They were acting the idiots, running about without a clear plan. She almost stomped her foot. "Now, before we go running off, wouldn't it make sense for each group to decide where it is heading first? If all groups go the same way, what's the purpose of splitting up?," she asked, waiting to see if once again she would be ignored.

Rhoddin had seemed to be listening, but when Shaeliana spoke, it was obvious he would go where she went. Her eyes then went to Gavin, sliding to the fork in his pocket. That one bit of absurdity finally struck her and a quiet giggle slipped out.
[i]Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.[/i]
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

[size=75]Avatar by Lena[/size]
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

It was a given fact that, in the realm of soups, cioppino was the disputed monarch...and among any cioppino prepared in houses all around World's Mouth, this particular cioppino was easily the best (Lir might or might not agree, but she could indeed see such ingredients as porcini mushrooms, fresh peppers, clams, shrimp, and a curious breed of bass found almost exclusively in the Western reaches of the Mer). What truly amazed Donatello the cook was that, despite his careful, adept preparation, the guests seemed perfectly anxious to leave his dining room and wander away! Glancing around at the guests, Donatello let his soup ladle lower in his hand to splash down in his soup tureen, a look of crushed despondence slowly building upon his face as the guests expressed their interest in doing everything except savor the delectable meal...all four courses he had prepared. Perhaps I should have gone with the bisque? he thought, his eyes falling to the soup remaining in his tureen. He hardly noticed Clovis' tyrade.

Things might have been different if Clovis were a common house servant. Indeed, if he were a scullery or a clerk, he might have gritted his teeth and simply left, leaving the guests to suffer whatever hideous refreshment decisions that the cook might make. Clovis, however, was not a common scullery or a simple clerk. He was a butler, the keeper of wines and spirits...and the head servant of the household. He would often enough lay awake at night worrying over the condition of the wine stores, the best yahren for some spirits, and the house accounts (in so much as he had to worry over the budget)...and never in life had he ever been so disgraced as to be threatened at forkpoint by some mindless buffoon...and one to whom he had shown every courtesy of cordial society as well!

"Insanity!" he growled, a noise that just didn't seem to work on the little, aging man, and clearly a sound he didn't make often judging by the sudden notice he drew from the guard and the cook. "Outrage! This man..." he pointed one gnarled finger towards Gavin's retreating back "...threatened me with a fork! And that man..." he now directed his gnarled finger towards Draydis "...threatened another of our guests! And with the cutlery, no less!"

Turning towards the guard behind him, his hands were held low and clenched at his sides...a proper tantrum for a man that didn't often find himself empowered to do what he was just now about to do. "Signor Nicholas, you know your duty. They are to be removed at once! Throw them out...MILES!" this to the footman near the West door leading off to the Reception room "Fetch 'round a carriage at once. Those two are leaving. And give a care that the coach man should be well prepared in case they should take to violence again...PUT THAT BACK!" he screeched, turning his pointing finger to indicate the utensil that Gavin had hoped to pocket. He had spent the better part of two marks cleaning and polishing one hundred twelve utensils, all in preparation for his unusual guests, and clearly they cared nothing for it!

For his part, Nicholas had heard enough. It wasn't his job to make decisions, really...and Clovis was the head servant in the house, save perhaps for Signor Ivan. Shrugging, he motioned towards Gavin and Draydis. "You heard him. You are no longer welcome here, and you will depart this house at once. Miles..." the footman nodded once and disappeared back into the reception room and beyond, where he would most likely prepare a carriage. The guard continued. "If anyone else would prefer to leave, the carriage will be around directly. For those of you who are not departing, I've come to insure you're comfortable and without concern regarding the disturbance you heard earlier," continued the guard. "There was some kind of accident in the West Wing, but I can attest that no one was in the West Wing at the time, so there's no need to be concerned at all. Such noises are not uncommon here at Ardemus Manor."

"Signors..." continued to guard, motioning both Gavin and Draydis towards the Reception Room door to the West...and towards the Foyer beyond, where a new carriage would no doubt await them. Ashtallion could not yet slip past the guard as he stood in the Southern doorway, blocking access to the hall beyond (and it was clear he was not prepared to move just yet as he focused upon the two exiled warriors), forcing the mage to wait a moment longer before he could wander forward into the hallway beyond and...with any luck...find the notorious West Wing.
Last edited by Grant on Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

It was the explosion that put the gentle Motley under the table. The loud noise had scared him to the point of hiding. He crouched low, clutching the neck of his lute like a frightened child clutches a favorite doll. He watched, wild eyed for a few flickers, expecting the worst as he peered out with mismatched eyes from the dim light under the table.

At the sound of the confrontation, he crawled his way out from under the table and began to look around. Threats and weapons were being brandished, and it appeared hostages were being taken by some of the other guests. He stared around in confusion before he realized they, like he, were seeking answers to the strange occurences, but they had taken a more... martial approach.

Tidbits and scraps of conversations began to filter their way around the room once more and then more servants and guards began to show themselves. Some wanted to investigate, some were retreating to the other rooms. He could hear talk of exploding laboratories and dragons.

Could a dragon be attacking the manor? He wondered.

One man continued to pour soup for the guests. Although his attention was being monopolized by the fury of the Butler and the arrival of the guard, the fact that this man could pour soup for the guests in the midst of such chaos was intriguing to say the least.

What discipline! What mighty control! He admired silently as to avoid further wrath of the Butler.

It seemed as if the meal would continue even if some of the guests would not be.

These things are not uncommon at Ardemus Manor someone said.

Motley withdrew his napkin from the table and sat down once more as he patiently waited for his serving to be portioned out for him. In meager and lean times while growing up, he vowed never to turn down a free meal, and besides, with the exception of loud noises, this was turning out to be quite a entertaining night.

If this is typical, how I'd like to see something truly unusual.

The ugly little entertainer waited eagerly for his first course and he looked around expectantly for what was to happen next.
Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

Post by Kaelara Mentahn »

OOC: Forgive me, but things are moving very quickly and I will be on vacation for several days. I think I will spare confusion and just depart now, unless Grant can tuck my PC somewhere she won't be in the way. This will be my last post until Sunday, in that case.

IC: Unfamiliar with both the company and her surroundings, Kaelara sidestepped away from the table's disarray, pausing within easy conversation distance with the guard, to whom she accorded a faint smile.

"Perhaps you would be so kind as to arrange for my carriage, as well?" A delicate frown curved her eyebrows in a downward arc of concern. "As our host has yet to show himself, and the weather seems as it might become inconvenient.. it might be best if I take my leave now...." Allow me to return to my bartering, as this is most certainly far from the business contact I had hoped to cultivate.

She inclined her head slightly to those she had spoken to, a note of recognition and brief apology for her abrupt departure in her eyes.
Avatar courtesy of www.allavatars.com - Electra
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

It was enough to drive a man to drink. The young bard was witnessing a display of puerile insanity as a bunch of grown, well entities was the best he could come up with, spat the dummy at each other like small children, albeit somewhat dangerous small children.

Clutching his small pearl, the young bard stilled his mind, silently winding small strands of energy into a sizable band of power, "STOP". As he spoke, well shouted actually, the bard allowed, to be truthful he forced, the strand of energy into his spoken command, allowing the energy to dissipate with his voice, hence employing the Bardic Voice as he had been shown, and used several times before.

"Enough of this foolishness." Rhoddin looked towards the butler Clovis, traces of the energy still instilled in his voice, although much less obviously; as his skill was still developing.

"These, men" Rhoddin used the generic to include all the races present, "where simply reacting to the explosion that Mr Armstrong seemed to known was coming. Everyone is a bit jumpy, and I'm sure they do not intend intentional harm to any here." The young mans voice was deep, but not soft, it had strength from his trade to carry clearly to all in the room.

"As for the rest of us, well we need to decide, and proceed with some caution. It seems some of us intend to examine the explosion regards of the possible consequences," and his eyes fell towards Ashtallion, so let us decide if we all go, or some stay and await their return." Rhoddin was somewhat surprised at his own forthrightness, but managed to continue none the less.

"The young lady here is right," as he glanced towards Gaelena. "It benefits none of us if we stagger off in little groups to do the same errands. Lets use our collective heads, rather than lose them, and think this through." Silence, Well done big mouth, that should work, not.

The young man was close to appalled with his tirade, but it was better out than bottled up inside, after all he had been at Balthasars side when they had faced down the Crystal Dragon, how much worse could this be?

ooc: Bit of licence here Grant, slap me down if I've overstepped your marks
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

The lady he sat by made sense, but Gavin was not quite allowed to think of her words, as the soldier behind his back required quite a bit of his attention. Then the shout came and the tall man turned, a look of surprise on his face. The man was clearly upset and Gavin could understand why. Still, he found the entire situation quite amusing as well. He did threaten a man with a fork and even though the threat was real and even the bearded man knew he could have carried it out, it was funny. As such, he had a slight problem fighting back a smile, instead looking at the butler with disbelief. They were being thrown out and most likely Clovis had every right to do so. Gavin has let his emotions get the better of him once more and that was always bad. Slightly imbalanced as he was at best of times, recent experiences have made the tall man a bit more than slightly insane. Betrayed from every corner, his paranoia was running wild.

The guard was an inconvenience and Gavin did not consider trying to overpower him for a flicker. Apart from that being a bit too dangerous, so far it was proven that violence indeed was not the key. Yet, the big man did not want to leave. He was not very good when it came to authority and was just about to try to convince them, when a voice boomed behind him, making his feel the need to listen to the man who uttered that word STOP. Even though it sounded a lot like a command, Gavin was inclined to listen as the man actually made sense. However, he had already apologized, without much effect. Perhaps a different approach would work better. A subtler one.

Turning to Rhoddin and then back to Clovis, the Dortman pulled the fork out of his pocked and presented it handle fist to the upset butler. "There you go. No need to get upset now. I said I was sorry." He indeed was and it showed on his face, but now was the time to play on the man's guilt. It was not a nice thing to do, but what needed to be done...... "Surely, you can't send the us out in this weather. Coach or no coach the roads would not be safe." He turned towards the lady who requested to leave. "I don't want to be responsible if anything happens to her during the storm. Do you?" He shrugged and moved slowly towards the door. "I may be fine if something happens, but she is a lady."

He moved towards the guard, his gaze locking with the guard's. The Dortman was hoping that Draydis would not make this a bigger problem than it already was. He was hoping for a hint of inspiration that would enable him to stay, but it was not coming. I guess I shall have to jump of the coach and return in secret. I ain't leaving this place till I find out what caused that explosion. As he was passing the butler, he bowed, a look of genuine sorrow on his face. "I am sorry, sir. I should have thought before I acted. I bid you farewell. And I hope you manage to find the Professor. And that he is alright. Good bye." He was cast the look outside and strode through the doors.
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Frowning slightly as the gurd bloacked his path, Ashtallion considered it better not to cause any more trouble...for now. He flicked a glance to Gavin and Dray, wondering how this was going to turn out. His hands were still folded in the sleeves of his robes over his midriff, yet his fingers twitched in anticipation.

It was then that Rhoddin shouted and Asht turned to regard the human in slight surprise. He had been quiet up until now and this turn of attitude spiked his curiosity..... more so was the familiar scent of energy. It was an unfamiliar touch and one he found tried to instill command..... yet the mage had too much resolve and mental training for his mind to be overpowered easily, barriers rose in his mind to shield against unwanted intrusion. Raising an eyebrow, the adhiel sorcerer cocked his head as his golden gaze swept over the human. Had the power come from him? The magus was uncertain, but he would find out.

Now, if only the guard would move.... " Excuse me young fellow. Move aside please... I wish to find the source of the explosion... and see if there is anything I can do.... I am a Sorcerer after all. ", he smiled lightly to feign friendliness.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

Draydis was about to speak when 'STOP' was called out. He listened to what everybody had to say and then decided it was time for a less forceful approach than attacking the soldier would be.

The guardsman placed the knives back on the table and turned to face the soldier. "Sir, I can tell from the blade you carry that you are not just an ordinary foot soldier. I would presume you are one who has a command of his own. You have a patience about you and a desire to do justice and what is right. Both are commendable traits." He paused for a moment to let the compliments sink in appropriately.

"Now, having said that, I ask you. If you were at a dinner party and things were already rather secretive, and then one of the hosts indicates that prior guests have disappeared or have been killed in the place you were dining...and then counted down to a point where there was an explosion. Wouldn't you get somewhat agitated and demanding of answers? I would certainly expect any man under my command to act just as Gavin and I have. Yes, we were abrupt in our actions, but we both acted in hopes of being able to protect the other guests here from further harm." He looked at Gavin and then back to the soldier. "Now, if you would allow Gavin and myself to stay, I assure you on my honor that we will cease any further irrational acts this evening."

He then patiently waited for the soldier's response...
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Brionna Galenn

Post by Brionna Galenn »

OOC: Meh. Lose connection for a few days and look what happens! Excuse me while I try to catch up. *blush*

Brionna's nose wrinkled with distaste as the skinny man she had noticed approached bearing his roll-up. She had never been fond of the smells produced by the various herbs and other plants that some people chose to smoke. What's the attraction of sucking in burned plantlife? she wondered. Her nose wrinkled again, even as her lips twitched in an effort not to smile, as she listened to him curse under his breath. "Someone could do with a couple of stiff drinks," she murmured to herself.

It was more pleasing when the woman she had followed responded to her introduction, clasping her hand and introducing herself as Becca. The name tugged at her in the same vague was her appearance had - she knew it, but couldn't place it. It seemed as if Becca was in the same situation, and she grinned at the woman's mock attempt to pour her glass of wine over the rude man beside them.

Somehow, she couldn't quite manage to focus on the words of Grant Armstrong. Sounds seemed to be coming from very far away. His lips were moving, and she could hear the sound of his voice, but the words all blurred together without sense. She had a similar problem with the babble of voices the followed, and her brows drew together in annoyance. He must be saying something important, one way or another. People don't get that excited when someone's just talking about... the weather or what's going to be served for dinner! Why can't I concentrate?

She turned to the door as their host did, aware of a strange, rhythmic sound coming from beyond it. At least she could hear that clearly enough, so surely her hearing wasn't going. Then a drawn-out wail and the sound of some sort of explosion rocked the room. She startled out of her chair along with most of the other guests, looking around wildly as violence seemed to errupt around her. What was going on? Would she understand better if she'd been able to pay proper attention to the conversation? Looking around at the barely controlled madness, she didn't think so. Even so, she felt horribly vulnerable.

Becca had jumped forward to stop the oddly tattooed man from attacking their host, then just as quickly volunteered to join a blonde adhiel in a search for the source of the explosion. Hearing the man speak of healing, she took a hesitant step forward. "I have some small skill with healing, Mist... I mean, Asht," she told him, deciding that if he was inviting Becca to use his first name then she would too. "I'd like to do what I can to help." She tried not to think of the fact that her knowledge of healing came from caring for a girl who'd hit her head in a fall,not from helping people caught in an explosion.

The tattooed man volunteered his own services, along with a bit of information that disturbed her greatly. Warned about this wing? What wing? What warning? She sidled over to Becca and murmured, "I'm afraid I didn't pay a lot of attention to that Armstrong fellow... What's this about a warning?"

A guard entered the room, temporarily blocking the exit. The tension in the room was high, and she hoped they could leave soon, regardless of what awaited them in this mysterious wing. Then came the cry of "STOP!" in a voice that seemed to reach right inside her and freeze her in place. She saw the man she had recognised from the funeral, the one who had watched her with suspicion, as he entreated everyone to calm down and think rationally. It seemed to have worked, although now everyone was making such an effort to be civil that the tension had barely lessened at all.

She bit her lip and stared about her. It seemed as if they would still be splitting up, so she resolved to continue with her original plan of going with Becca and Asht. It seemed better than staying in this room with people on the verge of flying off the handle again.
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Becca stepped back, releasing Draydis' arm and holding one of hers out in the direction Grant had left. "You're that desperate, he went that way." If you were so damn fussed and so well trained, you could've got free of me no problem. Pillock. For a few seconds after Draydis had walked past her, the extended hand flicked into a very-unlady gesture that Finley might have appreciated.

Dropping her arm, she turned to Asht. "Fire... Yes. I think so. As for healing, 'fraid not. Closest I can get is bandages." She turned to Brionna, grinning crookedly. "Apparantly, the place we're going to is a death trap." Becca's expression had a definite hint of Typical! in it. "It's apparantly the host's laboratory or something, and all the other guests who've tried to get in it have died." She shrugged. "Such pleasant people, these Mouthies, aren't they?"

She let the chaos wash over her, ignoring most of it on the grounds that a) there wouldn't be much she could do to stop it, b) she considered the not-being-stabbed a fluke, and c) it was just... Overwhelming.

The cry of "STOP!" got her attention, and Becca grinned and applauded for a few seconds. Leaving the others to organise it, she held up a finger in a back in a minute gesture and ducked over to the guard.

"Excuse me?" Becca didn't do charming or ladylike very often, but she could. Shy though, shy was easier. "Do you know what that explosion was?" One hand was toying nervously with the jewelled end of the hairpin stuck in her bodice. "We were gonna go see how we could help, but if the guard're already here, we'd probably be better off staying out of the way." She smiled slightly. "If not though, would you mind gettin out of the way? We're tryin t'go through here."
<Becca> I am all in favour of getting Elvin laid. I am not in favour of getting Becca blown to little squishy bits
<Sevti> That's a sig line if I ever heard one.
Avatar drawn by the amazing Finn!
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Talanwei Fortisse »

Things had moved at a whirlwind pace, Asht was ready to depart, some were indecisive. The man that Talanwei had not spoken to yet had shouted for everyone to wait, so that a plan could be formulated. Even in the seeming chaos there had to be order. The paladin was not sure how he felt as of late. The one thing he did know was that he was with Asht. He watched as their ranks swelled considerably. Becca most immediately made her preference known, after she had tried to calm Dray down. Talanwei was not sure the adhiel warrior needed calming but there was naught to be said on the matter. It was then a woman whose name he was not sure of but she seemed to know Becca. The commander was willing to accompany them after all was settled that blood was not yet to be shed this night.

It was after this that the whole situation seemed to come apart at the seams. A guardsman came clad in brigandine through the door and saw Gavin most immediately accosting Clovis, the butler of the estate. Talanwei immediately marked the presence of the blade that the guard was equipped with. It looked as if it were a particularly nasty weapon. Both Gavin and Dray made their apologies but apparently the damage had been done. The Achadiel witnessed Clovis start to sputter and his face was twisted with indignation. The paladin knew what was coming next and he could almost feel the tirade before it came. Clovis possibly made an ill situation even worse but the Talanwei could sympathize.

The night had been going relatively smoothly if not a mite tensely and at the first sign of trouble (a rather large one mind you) two of the people who were guests threatened Clovis and another guest? Talanwei wasn’t sure who Draydis had threatened exactly but it was not for him to wonder. The butler, who looked red in the face, beseeched the guardsman named Nicholas to take both Dray and Gavin away. Certainly Clovis had to understand that in odd surroundings the strange tidings given by the man who had hastily departed when all was chaotic coupled with the explosion from the area that was supposedly so dangerous would easily have anyone on edge. Let alone two warriors used to asking for answers with things aside from words. They had acted hastily but the butler may have been too rash, perhaps not but Talanwei did not want them to depart. He had the feeling that the instincts and abilities of each would be invaluable as the night progressed.

He had moved to speak just as Rhoddin shouted. His word held force...and something different. Having not gotten sufficient response from his earlier request his voice seemed much enhanced. It nearly compelled all that heard it to listen. What he said made sense and the man seemed to be a voice of reason. Even with this Gavin walked out of the dining room and Draydis was trying to get the guard to listen to him. It was then that the paladin had made his way to the small knot of the adhiel warrior, the guard, and any in their proximity. His approach was in plain sight and he stood a respectable length from Nicholas.

“I beg your pardon good sir, I know there are many demands on your attention at the moment but I ask that you look at the situation at hand. I mean we, as guests, come to this location that I feel safe to say none of us have ever been before and we are served food and thusly told next to nothing about the nature of our gathering. Then you take into account the explosion that you were no doubt sent to investigate and I feel that a significant loss of focus has occurred. These two men have overstepped their bounds,” said Talanwei turning then to Clovis, “Of that much we have become certain. Now you may be used to happenings of this type but as for us, well, suffice to say some of us are out of our element and therefore a bit more tense than usual. They have both apologized and I myself make a thrice over apology on their behalf. You have put much into the nights proceedings and we were wrong to assume that you knew something that you did not about this situation. Would it perhaps be too far above my place to beg that you stay this judgment on their behavior?”

Talanwei didn’t know if Clovis knew exactly what was happening to all of them or nothing at all. He was playing the part of diplomat. Though he thought ordering them to leave was a bit harsh given circumstances in play, he could easily see the butler’s indignation and empathize with his feelings on this. The paladin wasn’t sure if his words would help, hell, Nicholas could throw him in with Dray and Gavin and have him on a fast cart out of this place. Only time would tell.
[b]Convo Kill Count[/b]: 1
[b]Funny Chat Moments[/b]: 3
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

Post by Lir Calysta Markby »

Chaos. It did amuse her to see the players acting out in the only way they knew how. It wasn't usually like this on any of the ships she were on unless there was a mutiny. The soup looked normal, but the cook seemed very off. Either he was a complete idiot or did not have all his facilities as she had watched him fill up all the soup bowls and then completely ignore all the actions of this evening.

She picked up a glass that was filled by the butler. Lir wondered if they were brought here to be poisoned but it seemed odd to do so. None of us had any sort of link except for these invitations what would be the motive. "I think the explosion has put some on edge. I believe once given a chance they will calm, sir." She spoke when she could interject a word for Gavin and Dradis. She took the glass of wine and carefully walked over towards, Clovis, the butler, and offered him the untouched glass. "Please sir, have a drink and calm your nerves down. I do not believe they meant to treat you so harshly."

Perhaps it is something in the food and drink that is causing some to act almost maniacal? She refrained from her thoughts. Cautiously turning to the guard, Lir asked, "Sir, how can you be sure that no one was in the West Wing? I would think it is important to make sure that there were no victims of this blast, and it seems that there are several healers available that can assist with the wounded even if it is a common occurence at the Ardemus Manor." Several healers being herself and Brionna who had mentioned it when Asht had asked about it before.
Beautiful avatar by [url=http://nairohe.deviantart.com/]Nairohe![/url] ^_^
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Long fucking day.

Clovis was already departing through the Eastern door, clearly convinced that the troublemakers would be managed. And indeed, they would be...but I figured he'd stick around to watch, thought the guard, clearly paying no attention to all to the burst of conversation from the eight different voices that sought to command his attention. Naturally, none of them succeeded...except for Brionna, who was rather nearer to the guard, though she didn't seem to be addressing him.

Watching Gavin's departing back as he retreated to the Reception Room, the guard raised one hand to indicate that he could not attend to so many inquiries at once. He glanced over at Draydis and nodded towards the door. "That way. You will depart at once." Oh, that was harsh, Nick. I suppose I COULD have been more cordial...but then, what the hell does he mean by 'not ordinary'? The bastard shows up in tatoos and acts like he's on a battlefield, and I'm called Not Ordinary? "You would do well to accompany the lady..." he nodded in Kaelara's direction "...on her ride back into the city. The roads aren't safe in this area after dark," he added. His response and his gestures offered absolutely nothing in the way of a compromise. He offered nothing in the way of answers, either, save that he would indeed enforce the butler's will to the letter.

And then there was the esteemed sorcerer. He had seen enough of those...there were several schools full of them in the city, and they often took field trips into the manor...but Nick didn't have any time for him just now. Stepping to one side, the guard offered Ashtallion a very crisp, brief bow...typical of household guards...and cleared the way. "Through the ballroom and out the other side...and at the end of the hallway to your right. You'll need to speak to Alexander for access. He should be nearby, I think," offered the guard cordially before he turned his attention back to Draydis. Indeed, the soldier hadn't moved to leave yet...which meant that there might just be trouble before the night was out.

Of course, Nicholas...and Clovis, for that matter...gave no regard whatsoever about the meal. Donatello, on the other hand, was nearing the worst he had ever been. He had managed to complete the soup service, and so he could easily slip away and prepare the second course...but he just didn' t know how many would be at his table for the next course! What a shabby state of affairs! he moaned to himself, his eyes darting from one seat to another trying to gauge just this. Oh, a group of guests near the head of the table seemed quite interested in his soup...and it seemed as if they would care for the next course...so perhaps his meal would be saved, if at least by a few people?

(OOC: Those departing for the house interior with Asht may post to here. Please post your departure from this thread before you do, however.)
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion merely nodded to the guard as he stepped aside, glad the human never made an issue of it. He turned his head to regard Talanwei and Becca, " Ready to go? ", then looking to Brionna, " Any healing skills will be useful m'Lady....no matter how minor. ", he smiled lightly to her, one that didn't quite reach his golden eyes.

His adhiel features set to stone as he turned in a flourish of white robes and swiftly exited through the doors into the ballroom.
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

"As ready as I'll ever be, I s'pose..." Becca shook out her skirts and nodded politely to the guard as she walked past him. 'Shouldn't've worn a dress Becs. This is gonna seriously get in the way...' "Brionna? You coming?" Her smile reached her eyes, and she stopped to wait for the other woman.
Last edited by Becca Acerbi on Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
<Becca> I am all in favour of getting Elvin laid. I am not in favour of getting Becca blown to little squishy bits
<Sevti> That's a sig line if I ever heard one.
Avatar drawn by the amazing Finn!
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Talanwei Fortisse »

Nicholas had deftly pushed aside all questioning, not leaving any room for discussion. The guard seemed to give no regard whatsoever to the misgivings most seemed to hold about the nights happenings. Indeed, this night seemed to spiral farther into the realms of oddity and mystery. Talanwei shook his head, there was nothing that would sufficiently reach Nicholas’ good sense, this, the paladin could see clearly. Clovis had exited rather quickly after passing his judgment on the two warriors.

Ashtallion Urdil wrote:"Ready to go?"

Talanwei nodded, “I’m ready, let us be off...”

Before the Achadiel exited the room, he let his gaze meet Lir’s once more. He had not talked with her as much as he desired but there seemed to much to do and his curiosity had bound him to Asht’s current path. He smiled and gave a polite half bow before exiting the dining hall.
[b]Convo Kill Count[/b]: 1
[b]Funny Chat Moments[/b]: 3
Brionna Galenn

Post by Brionna Galenn »

Brionna's answering smile was uncertain as she nodded to Asht's acceptance. A hard man, she thought. As if he's so used to being on a battlefield that he sees everything that way! It didn't occur to her that this was probably not a bad attitude to have in this place, nor would it have changed her opinion of him if it did. Still, the chance to be doing something and getting away from the more overtly warlike members of the group was encouraging.

Her spirits lifted as she saw Becca's more genuine smile, and gave the woman one to match. At least someone here is willing to be friendly! "I'm coming," she replied, stepping past the guard with a respectful nod.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Watching as the two men who had challenged the help were forced to leave the premise, the healer was torn between staying put and following the sojourners. The healer glanced around the room at the other party members, a group largely made up of women now - some staying and some headed out after Ashtallion, before bringing her eyes back to Rhoddin.

"It appears that we are divided before we begin" she sighed. "Some are evicted, some will not stay in this room and it appears others will not go. What say you my friend? Should we enjoy our meal and let the others discover the source of the noises or should we trapse after them in case there are injured who need our help?"
Last edited by Shaeliana on Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Return to “Erulzat Archives”