~~Secrets~~ (Mystery, Samheen 28th-29th, closed)

Moderator: Mods

Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

Post by Kaelara Mentahn »

The wheels clicked in cadence with the horses' swift hoofbeats as Kaelara sat within the rumbling carriage, her ungloved fingers stretching the invitation wide as her eyes perused the markings. Strange, but he must have heard of my recent dealings... The note in question had drawn her away from a stack of her own invitations, as she penned requests for audiences in a desire to expand the trade she had already begun in the now blossoming city of Pax. Success and status had treated the rather single-minded Adhiel kindly, and this unexpected invitation had placed a somewhat self-satisfied smile on the blush of her lips.

Slender fingers neatly refolded the invitation, sliding it between the lips of her handbag, where it jostled with kohl and a few tiny containers of color for lips and cheek, as well as a tiny quill, a tightly lidded bottle of ink, and a few small blank slips of paper, tightly rolled, one extra slip containing a list of items she was yet seeking for trade, and another listing items she might supply (it never hurt to be prepared, after all). A few small hair-pins hid in the corners, and a small mirror was tucked into an inner pocket. She allowed herself a glimpse of the dark Manor which was growing larger by the flicker, an unusual chill tracing her spine as a brief feeling of foreboding swept over her. The air was thick with expectation, as if the roiling clouds in the sky above were just waiting the appropriate moment to empty themselves completely, burying those unlucky enough to yet remain out-of-doors. A lone curl dangled free of the styled tresses twisted elegantly along the back of her head, knotted in an intricate pattern that blended with the soft gentle wave of curls. Several long pins glittered there, long spines holding the slipperly hair in place while the demurely gemmed ends glittered in tasteful shades of amber. One might even miss the decoration amid her wheaten hair if they were a careless observer.

Her knuckles rapped the carriage ceiling abruptly, signalling her impatience with the driver, who accordingly skittered the whip across the horses' flanks, thereby sending the contraption barrelling upwards regardless of the uncomfortable jolting for the lone passenger within. One cannot reason with weather, one can only avoid it... Kaelara's eyes noted the rather pompous, dark statue that loomed in the courtyard, tucking away her observations for future reference. Burns later, the wheels skittered to a stop before gently rolling into place behind a carriage that was just departing.

The young adhiel that emerged seemed simply clad at first as she mounted the steps to the Manor doors, withdrawing the invitation and handing it to the appropriate person as she swept by. The fashions of no particular city seemed her influence, her petite frame garbed in a rich brown that seemed traced with gold depending on the arc of light. It framed her slender waist, rising smoothly to cover all cleavage before ending in elegant folds of silk that ran evenly about her arms, leaving her shoulders bare. Several layers of sheer fabric gave an elegant drape to her sleeves, which widened slightly at the elbows and draped elegantly just slightly past her wrists. The same sheer fabric layered around her skirts, lending a smooth fluidity and quiet to the skirts which swept a bare centimeter from the floor. The understated hue of her garments made her amber eyes seem large in her pale Adhiel features, the barest of appliques used to color lips, soften high cheekbones and darken her eyelashes. The elegance of her garments, which lacked the flash and intricacy of many other women's, seemed granted more by the easy glide of her step and the proud tilt of her chin that the depth of her purse. Her tiny frame might come as a surprise to some as she neared them, as the firm line of shoulders and a confident gaze often granted her the illusion of greater height.

The delicate figure did not pause in the doorway as many did, noting the open doors to the dining room; instead, she traced the few extra steps to slide into place among the first Adhiel that she spied, a smile intending to charm curling on defined lips as she greeted both Draydis and Ashtallion with a friendly nod, the small reticule dangling from her bent elbow, a closed fan clasped loosely in the fingers of her right hand. Before any words could emerge, however, perhaps even before they had noticed her presence, they were turning and making for the dining area.

Arriving last, when she had expected to be among the main arrivals was somewhat disconcerting, though she rather demurely followed the others within, sliding neatly next to Talanwei so as to better converse with the unknown Draydis and Ashtallion across from her.

"Namaste.... I hope..." her words were framed pleasantly with the musical accent of her native tongue, "someone might explain what I may have missed? It seems I have arrived perhaps later than the explanations?"

Her polite expression was friendly, if a trifle cool, though among fellow Adhiel perhaps such aloofness would seem only natural. Her eyes, delicately traced with brown, gold and the barest hint of green, seemed a blend of amber unless one was far closer than propriety dictated.
EDIT: For flow, and for writing my post before but submitting it after the last three.
Last edited by Kaelara Mentahn on Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Avatar courtesy of www.allavatars.com - Electra
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Talanwei Fortisse »

Talanwei had looked out of the window for a few burns letting his sense of disorientation subside all the while looking through the reflection of said window at the arriving guests. None prompted him to turn save one; it was a woman of hair so black it was near blue. Perhaps it was Lir’s elegant appearance that first caused him to take a glance and it was her countenance that held it there. She looked as if she was as far back on her heels as he felt. That the attire was not of her usual fare. The aloof attitude, she didn’t know a soul here either. Talanwei caught her eyes flit to him once, probably out of a feeling that this odd half adhiel’s eyes were on her. Lir’s violet eyes looked away from his own. She probably thought him a fool for staring at her so. Talanwei’s observation was not born from an attraction per se but the Achadiel’s ill mood had lifted and given way to curiosity. It was an inherent characteristic of his personality along with his normally personable nature. He felt odd hanging back and not meeting new faces but he had to find his own way.

Just as he was about to step forward and talk to Lir as a fellow lost soul (he smiled at the reference his mind threw out) the host interrupted all of the conversation and spoke to all present. Talanwei looked at the odd choice for a host and listened as he introduced himself and began to lead them to the dining room. The Achadiel had fallen into stride behind the two Adhiel men; one adorned with an impressive array of tattoos on his exposed skin and the other a lean man with long blond hair. There was a sense of strange déjà vu as Talanwei inadvertently eavesdropped on their shared words. It was only seconds in passing and when the group came to a halt the host gave everyone a few moments to absorb the surroundings. The mysterious man then bade them to be seated.

Talanwei made his way to a seat on the east side of the table three seats in directly across from Ashtallion who was adjacent to Draydis. The close proximity they shared afforded a glance between them. The Achadiel gave each a smile and a respectful incline of his head. His choice of seat had been only a half unconscious desire to put himself between two people. This would offer the most opportunity for conversation that would hopefully in turn give him more of an idea on what this gathering was all about.

Talanwei looked about the room and noticed the casual opulence of the room. The chandelier hung above their head composed of fine crystal and flaunting wealth. The walnut table and matching chairs alluded to a subdued elegance. Fine dining utensils were set for all present save one vacancy from a quick tally in Talanwei’s mind.

Now that all of Talanwei’s mental faculties were his own he could not help but feel a growing sense of unease. In his pocket he felt the invitation once more. The wording of the invite had been calculatingly vague yet the Achadiel had come. Had been drawn inexorably to this place, not against his will but magnetically nonetheless. The assortment of guests seemed to range from swordsmen to members of the social elite and all those in between. At least he was not the only one that had seen combat, Talanwei had given thanks for this fact. He then stood, waiting for the ladies present to be seated before he took his own. Inconspicuously his emerald eyes looked over the group for Lir. For some reason he was drawn to the woman that seemed to share his lack of acquaintances and harbored was the idle hope she would take a seat next to him.
[b]Convo Kill Count[/b]: 1
[b]Funny Chat Moments[/b]: 3
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

The girl replied and only then did the tall Dortman turn his gaze to her. He knew quite a bit about proper conduct, but this was unlike any situation he ever encountered. He had never been to a dinner party before. As such, a slight bow and a nod, followed by a smile were all he offered to the lady at his side. "You will excuse me, but I felt the need to mingle a bit. Draydis and Ashtalion there are wonderful friends, but my curiosity demanded that I try to get to know the others a bit better. Hope you don't mind I selected you as my target?" The questioning glance he gave her lasted but a flicker, giving her a sense of choice. Even though she had made a choice when she answered his words in a way.

While what Gavin said was true, there were several more reasons why he approached Gaelena. One of which was his attempt to find a pattern in the choice of guests at the party. Men he could judge easily, looking at the way they moved and dressed, but the women were a bit of a problem. All five were dressed in dresses and all five carried themselves with a certain grace. Thus he needed to approach at least one and see if he can find a bit more about her. Men came from different social classes and he needed to see if the women were as well. That in itself would not be very much, but he needed to start. This was as good as he could do on such a short notice.

His introduction never came as their host stepped forth and made an announcement. He offered no explanation for the invitations, evading the subject skillfully. His eagerness to move them to the dining room spoke volumes to the young bounty hunter. Prior arrangements have been made. It was no simple dinner party, for such events did not have time-tables. Something is about to happen. Or several somethings are. I wonder who our host truly is and how I can find out more about him? Does one of the guests know more? Or perhaps a subtle inquiry of his representative? Now how can I make Grant Armstrong reveal a bit more? He said nothing, of course, his face showing no signs of inner workings.

As the others made their way to the dining room, Gavin stayed close to the red haired lady on his side. The door drew closer when he leaned to her and whispered. "Would the pleasure of your company for tonight be too much to ask?" Whatever her answer was, he still lingered close and moved to pull her a chair. Choosing a spot next to Talanwei, he waited until the lady was seated and then waited for the other ladies to take a seat themselves. Still, his posture made it clear that the spot next to Gaelena was taken. A large calloused hand rested on the back of the chair, even though he was still standing. Whole posture spoke Mine as the warrior waited. He was in no hurry to introduce himself waiting for the others to do so first.
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

OOC: *Sighs* While I started this earlier today, I see I didn't get it finished it time.. bad work place for making me do other things. Anyway.. I am still going to post it late.. pretend it is above Grant's post and I'll do another reply for his later this evening. EDIT: actually, I'll wait til after Rhoddin's post to do my next one. ;)

IC: Either she was the only one invited to this affair or she'd had the bad fortune to arrive first. After only a few flickers of contemplation, she assured herself of the later, for the thought of being the only invitee made the whole affair seem rather sinister. Taking a glass of wine from one of the attendants, she slowly strolled about the room admiring the architecture and decorative touches.

Before long, any remaining fears were aleviated as other guests began to arrive; a tall muscular man in dark green immediately followed by a lavish redhead decked out in a very becoming, if somewhat revealing, green dress. She wondered if they were together with the matching outfits. Behind them arrived an elf, but unlike any elf she'd seen with cat like markings on his body.

More ambled into the hall, most looking a bit lost, a few breaking into smiles as they noted someone that they knew. None of them were familiar to the young healer, but the Mouth was not her home and so it would be unlikely for her to find someone here she knew. Or perhaps not!

Her own lips spread into a smile as she turned to see a familiar face strolling across the room towards a small man with a lute. Rhoddin! She'd not been able to find out what happened to him after their adventures in the howling mountains. It was as if he had just disappeared and she had feared the worst, that he had become dragon food. Without hesitation, she swept across the room and embraced an outstretched arm as he talked.

"Rhoddin! I thought you were dead! Where have you been hiding out? You missed all the pomp and circumstance and time at court you know," she bubbled happily, letting her shields down ever so slightly for just a flicker to let her pleasure wash over him.

"Your son sure misses his father," she added in a whisper, a glint of mischief in her eyes.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

Post by Lir Calysta Markby »

The room was studied by the healer and she sighed softly as her glances caught several glancing back her way. She wondered if they were also wondering why they were invited to this party. All in due time perhaps? I hate not knowing though. Lir clutched the fan and caught Gavin's stare until a red head caught his attentions. She had moved about the room serenely until she glanced upon a pair of jade eyes looking curiously in her direction.

The woman was not one to shy away from people staring at her. She was more used to the drunken leers of pirates but it did not offend her and she even managed to give Talanwei a smile. It would not do to be mean to strangers. The man seemed to think this was encouragement to approach when the one that was not the host got everyone's attention and then herded them towards the dining room.

It was a rather ornate room and similar to what she was used to when she lived with her father. She noticed everyone heading towards a spot and caught a glimpse of Talanwei who was already flanked by Kaelara and Gaelena as well as Gavin. She could have sat next to the bearded man but instead headed towards the side of where Ashtallion and Draydis were and sat down beside the heavily tattooed adhiel. She was not really one to make conversation and instead just sat and watched as the rest came in. Lir will answer and introduce herself when asked or spoken to. The purse and fan were placed on her lap.
Beautiful avatar by [url=http://nairohe.deviantart.com/]Nairohe![/url] ^_^
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena felt herself amused at being called a target, as though she were Gavin's prey. And while he was quite a bit taller than her and more rugged than she was used to, she did not feel uneasy next to him. Her smile was supposed to be serene, but the humor that tilted the corners threw it off. "Your target? I suppose I do not mind," she said lightly, her eyes catching his and twinkling with suppressed, good-natured laughter.

She would have said more, but the man who had given them their drinks was making another announcement. Ah, yes, dinner. She noted the object in his hand, though, and found it quite curious. What in the world was that? Of course, she had no time to study it, as he was moving them towards the elegantly decorated dining room.

As they began to make their way to the dining room, Gaelena noted that Gavin stayed with her. It was almost amusing, but also flattering. Glancing up as he whispered to her, her eyes flared bright for a moment as his words slid over her bare shoulder. "I would be delighted with your company," she replied just as softly, then added, "I'm Gaelena." Taking the seat he pulled out for her, she cast her smile around at her tablemates, surprised as one came in to view that seemed familiar. She was certain she had seen Kaelara before, but her mind decided not to register the meeting.
[i]Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.[/i]
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

[size=75]Avatar by Lena[/size]
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Talanwei was mildly disappointed that Lir had chosen a seat across the table but he could nary fault her for it. She had not known what was in his mind and she sat down observing the group yet to be seated as they walked in. Talanwei gave a few moments to watch the remaining guests. There were some that quite obviously shared history and there were a few markedly detached persons among the group. Though he found himself part of the latter the Achadiel determined to change that. Talanwei looked at the ground and smiled as he leaned toward Lir only barely.

“I for one have no idea what I’m doing here,” said Talanwei confidingly. The young woman looked up at the sound of his voice. Lir’s gaze found his own. Violet, striking color for a pair of eyes. He could not divine her expression for ill or good but he offered an easy smile. The Achadiel pressed on at once remembering his manners.

“Talanwei Fortisse, may I ask your name?” the half adhiel’s eyes glinted lightly. Talanwei knew neither their previously shared glance nor did Lir's smile guarantee a friendly exchange. She could in fact ignore him completely if she was so inclined. Talanwei knew all of these things yet he still offered his name and asked her own hoping for the best.
Brionna Galenn

Post by Brionna Galenn »

Sipping her wine, Brionna watched the flow of people in the hall. Several seemed to know each other, and still more were pairing off and getting to know each other. She sighed, feeling alone and more than a little out of her depth.

She bit her lip as she noticed a new addition to the gathering: the man she had noticed at the funeral. He approached the musician immediately, which confirmed that it was the same man she had also seen that day. Should I approach him? she wondered. Maybe he can tell me why he was watching me? The thought had barely formed when the woman in brown rushed towards him with an exclaimation of delight. Well, that puts paid to that idea! She certainly wasn't about to interrupt the reunion of old friends, even if watching it did serve to make her feel even less at ease.

Looking around, she spotted a man who seemed as out of place as she felt: he was slouched in an armchair, smoking and looking as if he wished he were anywhere else in the world. She felt a pang of sympathy for him. In this apparently random gathering, there were obviously a number of people wondering why in the Nether they'd been invited.

Ting ting ting ting ting ting ting!

She looked around as the Host tapped his glass with... something. It appeared to be a little metal case of some kind, and she wondered what it held. At any rate, it seemed to be a signal of some sort, and she forced herself to pay attention to his words.

He made a brief speech, then suggested that they should move into the dining room. A sensible move, she mused. I'm not sure how much more of this standing around feeling awkward I could stand! Drifting along with the flow of people through the doors, she noticed another face which looked vaguely familiar but which she couldn't place in a context. Once more she studied the woman out of the corner of her eye and finally gave up. I'm not going to remember, so I may as well go and find out who she is, she decided.

Having made a firm decision, she felt a little better. At least she wasn't drifting aimlessly any more. She waited until the woman (Becca) had chosen a seat, then slipped into the one beside her. A self-deprecating smile touched her lips as she said, "This is going to sound terribly odd, but I can't help feeling I've met you before. I can't for the life of me figure out where, though! Oh, and I'm Brionna." Her smile widened a fraction, and she held out one hand in a friendly gesture.
Tanaquil di Veria

Post by Tanaquil di Veria »

Tanaquil had been posed just so at the head of the table, looking very pretty and perfect and just the way she wanted people to see her as they arrived. But then at the last minute she had become convinced that her hairdo was perhaps just slightly awry, and had gone upstairs instantly to tend to it.

Finally she was satisfied that everything was just so. Her hair was elaborate and stunning, and she looked ravishing in her dress if she did say so herself. The funny thing was that she had no recollection of having acquired the dress-- it was very white and a touch... barer than she would have otherwise been comfortable with, and white, given her ivory skin and pale hair, rather tended to wash her out. Luckily the outfit was saved by an impressive ruby necklace tight around her neck then spilling down over her chest like blood against the white fabric. She didn't recall getting the necklace, either, but then she supposed perhaps no one would mind if she ended up not recalling giving it back, either.

In fact, she couldn't remember quite a lot of things. She had a sort of just-woken groggy feeling, and every now and then there was a terrible ringing in her ears and a taste of copper in her mouth. To be sure, she hadn't eaten in... how long? But it must be more than that, because there were things she knew she had to remember that she just... couldn't. She remembered having seen a book of her brother's that someone (certainly not her, of course!) had spilled a pitcher of water on -- some of the ink had run and washed away, leaving no hint of the words that had been there, while other words that had escaped the water's path remained, but never enough to make a full sentence. That was how Tana felt, as though half her life had been washed away and she could make no sense of what remained.

Anyway, she felt a little dizzy, and all that thinking was too much for her, so she bounced down the stairs and entered the drawing room. Rather chagrined that her perfect pose had been ruined by the fact that everyone was already there, she settled for making a grand entrance instead, walking into the room in a stately and elegant way, spreading her arms, smiling warmly, and beginning in a rich and throaty voice "Welcome...."

Her voice trailed off a little as she realized she couldn't for the life of her recall just what this party was for or who the guests were. She was sure she was the hostess -- after all, she was Tanaquil di Veria and the daughter of one of the finest families in the Mouth and if this was a fine party in the Mouth she must be the hostess -- and though the crowd blurred ever so slightly before her eyes, her smile stayed wide and dazzling, she said again as though she had never intended to say anything else, "welcome, friends."

She tossed her hair a little so that everyone would notice how lovely it was, and then, as the roaring in her ears threatened to overtake her, she sat down quickly and just on the edge of gracefulness, reaching quickly for her waterglass as she looked around the table and tried to recall where, exactly, she was, and what she was supposed to be doing.
Last edited by Tanaquil di Veria on Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

Few people paid a great deal of attention to the small, skinny Dortman slouched in the chair in the corner, ...an' that suits me jus' fine... wankers... he considered, rather uncharitably, leaning back in the leather chair and blowing out a puff of smoke from his freshly-made rollup. He took in the crowd from his corner as if looking through one-way glass, a somewhat blank look on his face and not one ounce of politeness or interest mustered to serve as some form of bait. For he did not want to be approached or to make idle conversation with any of these idiots, as he so pleasantly had dismissed them all already. Fingering the rim of the wine-glass absently, he took more pleasure in eying (without any subtlety whatsoever) the cleavage and jewelry of the more finely dressed women, wondering exactly how much each might feel if in his palms, than he might from actually exchanging words with any of them. Doubtless they would expect pleasant, friendly, pointless smalltalk - this, he was in no way prepared to give, this eveningtide. What on earth would be the point? There was no profit in it, after all... financial or otherwise.

This sour outlook was interrupted neatly by the host of the evening, and the man who quickly and formally introduced himself as Grant Armstrong began to speak - Finn looked up from over the rim of his glass briefly, taking the gentleman in with a rapid, uninterested glance, and then went back to drinking and smoking as if he were not listening to a word that was being said. Actually, he was listening rather closely. It might give some hint as to what the point in all this was, and give him call to make his excuses and a quick exit, should the approaching eveningtide sound too unbearably dull. Cleverly, however, Grant simply skimmed over the point with consummate ease, and suggested the lot of them retire to the dining room. Finley sighed to himself, ever so softly, touching his fingers briefly to his temple.

Reluctant to immediately vacate his comfortable seat, Finn waited for the others to jostle and push and chatter their way through the doors and select their various seats at the dining table. He had no desire to be caught up in that mess, and a far greater desire to simply sit alone, being annoyed by no-one, with a drink in his hand and a rollup between his teeth. He chewed on the roach-end, before taking a long drag and blowing the smoke up to the ceiling. Eventually, when the excitement of walking from one room to another had begun to die down, Finley stretched his legs, grabbed the wineglass in a possessive manner, and grudgingly began to follow the others through the double doors.

He'd made it about halfway around the table, and was concentrating very deliberately on both his feet and the floor - not because he felt unsteady at all, but because avoiding eye-contact would neatly avoid being hauled into conversation in one easy step. He'd made it about that far when he heard a... a very familiar voice...

...welcome...? Finley stopped suddenly in his tracks, inviting collision from some other guest from behind - but this, if it happened, he paid no mind. His eyes dragged from the very fascinating view of the hardwood floor, upwards, to the source of the voice.

...b...bloody hell...

Dressed in a white gown cut to accentuate an almost glowing porcelain complexion, Tanaquil Di Veria stood at the foot of the table, her arms spread and a dazzling, charming, utterly vacant smile plastered over her beautiful face. Drops of blood... no... no, a necklace on her throat, over her chest, glinting faintly in the light. Her white throat. Finley swallowed, awkwardly.

All in all, she was quite breathtaking... and Finley perhaps did not breathe for a good few flickers, before shaking himself out of the stunned-statue pose he'd adopting and taking a long deep breath, returning his eyes to the floor carefully. This certainly could not be real. That would be ridiculous. First of all, Tanaquil was dead, and she had no tongue, which made the fact that she was standing there speaking rather... shocking. Particularly when he dared to look up for a second time and find her still standing there, adding something else that he was sure was in human and he should recognise, before floating gracefully to her seat and gracefully falling into it.

Finn was entirely accustomed to feeling nothing at all, but not quite like this. Numbness overwhelmed him - with an effort he tore his eyes away from her, and hastily reached for a seat, plonking the wine glass down and sitting as quickly as possible. He ended up beside Briona, not knowing she'd been saving her seat for Becca - though truthfully, he would not have cared much had he considered it, but simply avoided that seat in order to avoid the conversation that would likely go along with it. After a long... very long moment spent inspecting his soup bowl intimately and not thinking on it for a passing flicker, Finn risked another glance up to the foot of the table.

She was still there. "Fuckin'... hell..." He breathed to himself, very quietly. "Fuck..."
Tanaquil di Veria

Post by Tanaquil di Veria »

The water helped a little to calm the ringing in her ears, but Tanaquil still felt herself ill at ease. Was she the hostess? Here she was, but how could she be? She looked around the table again with a rising sense of panic, her eyes going from one unfamiliar face to the next. What was wrong with her, that she could be in a house full for a party and yet recognize no.... wait! There, down the table aways, a strange skinny little man looking decidedly ill at ease and yet somehow... familiar?

She frowned to herself slightly, but then up from the depths of her mind bubbled a memory of an etiquette teacher she had had once who had said that the best way, when upset, to put yourself at ease was to put someone else at ease, and in so doing achieve a double purpose. It was a lesson that had never had much resonance for Tanaquil until just now, so she set down her water glass and turned the full force of her benevolent smile on Finley.

"And you, sir, how do you do this fine evening? It is so good to find you here; it has been a while since last we saw each other in..." In Southbridge? came the thought unbidden to Tanaquil's mind. But that was surely impossible, because Tanaquil was quite certain she had never once set foot in that seedy part of town! No, her memory must be flawed, but she could hardly admit, for the sake of politeness and of pride, that she had absolutely no recollection of who he was or where they had met, save for the gnawing certainty that she knew him, somehow. That he was important, somehow. "...in town," she finished, vaguely, the rubies on her necklace casting little red reflections onto the cut crystal of the waterglass by her hand.
[/i]
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

Rhoddin was pleased by the small mans response, glad to be welcomed by Motley. A smile crossed his face, the small man beside him couldn't help but poke fun at himself, and Rhoddin had a feeling it was only part defence mechanism. "Aye Motley, and me as well. Maybe we're too be the hired entertainment my friend. I managed to bring my ute at least." And the young bard brandished his lute towards Motley.

He had barely responded to Motleys last comment, and had just noticed Briona looking towards him, when as he swept his hand back in a encompassing motion, only to find it engulfed by another as Shae pounced on his outstretched hand.

A happy smile creased his face and his eyes lit up as the healer hugged his arm. Her feeling of happiness nearly making his senses reel. He began to reply, fully intending to introduce Motley, when Shae's last pronouncement left the young bard staring like a recently landed fish. His mouth was working but no words came out, her last pronouncement leaving the usually talkative bard struck dumb.

And then there was Grant Armstrong inviting them into the dining room.

Managing to get some sense of propriety back into his rather stunned counternance, Rhoddin managed to nod and gulp at the same time. In a rather strangled voice he managed to get out "Umm, Shae, sorry, Shaeliana, may I introduce the bard Motley, recently of Roque d'Ancourt. Motley I introduce to you the one and only Shaeliana, healer to Prince Balthasar."

In and even more strangled voice he managed to whisper at Shae, "My son?" His mind reeling still he somehow managed to shepard both Shae and Motley towards the dining room.

Looking at the small man beside he managed a more presentable voice, "My apologies Motley, but I think I need a seat, would you care to join us." Looking at Shae he raised his eyebrows in a question, hoping his invitation to Motley was acceptable to her. "If my lady pleases."

By K'Tan what have I got into now!
[color=blue]Back from the brink, but still lost, damn some times just never change.[/color]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

As the others filtered into the room, Draydis smiled at each. Though he was not the most outgoing one present, he did not want to appear rude or disinterested in talking. As Lir took the seat next to him, the commander assisted her as he had seen others do before.

It was then that he heard Kaelara speak. She had been noticed in the other room, but due to the host asking them to go to the dining room, Dray had no opportunity to greet her. He smiled as the adhiel language came from her lips and he replied in kind (in Adhiel). "Good evening, m'lady." As to not appear rude, Dray then began to speak in common. "You have missed little. Our host has been elusive in explaining the purpose of this evening, and we had only gathered in the other room for a short while before called into here."

Talanwei took a seat across from him. For some reason, the man appeared familiar, but Draydis did not know why. He looked at the man inquisitively. "Have we met before, good sir?"
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

(OOC: I have aggregated the scene based on your posts. Fear my aggregation!!
Also, I apologize for my swift pace as we start. This event should become more moderate and well-paced once we've moved forward a bit more.)

The dining hall filled quickly. Sitting upon the East side were, from North to South, Kaelara, Talanwei, Gaelena, and Gavin, leaving the north-most and south-most seats unoccupied. On the West side, there was Lir, Draydis, Ashtallion, Brionna, and Finley...leaving the southern-most seat on that side unoccupied. Tanaquil sat at the South end, between the two unoccupied seats, and the seat at the North end remained free as well.

Two gentlemen entered from the door opposite the reception, one man that could be readily identified as the butler (his bald pate, hawking nose, and careful attention to even the smallest detail of his hygiene were instantly recognizable), lead the way, a tray of wine bottles in his arms as and a towel thrown over the right. He placed the tray upon one of the many small service tables nearby and attacked the bottles with casual ease, popping one open and filling each guest's wine glass (the first one) with the pale, almost colorless fluid.

The other gentleman, a rotund human wearing a clean, white smock instead of a livery, entered pushing a wrought silver cart carrying a silver soup tureen upon alongside a barge of bread. Working just before the butler, he ladled a healthy dose of cioppino into each soup bowl (in some cases waiting until the hand towel had been removed), the hot, red stew reaching up with thin arms of steam as he worked. A few loaves of long, thin bread were placed upon the table in several places to enjoy with the soup, and with the bread went numerous crocks of churned butter or olive oil and cracked pepper.

Click.

Once again, Grant checked his pocket watch, flipping it open suddenly to glean the time before he would snap it shut again and return it to his waistcoat. Standing to one side, he watched as Motley, Rhoddin, Shaeliana and Becca found seats of their own at the crowded table. "Oh, anywhere will do, I assure you..." you won't be here very long "...anywhere at all. For those that know nothing of this place, allow me to describe to you the building in which you are about to dine."

"Construction of Ardemus Manor began in 1204AD. While it's rather well-known that Professor Ardemus singularly funded the Manor, most are unaware that he also served as the foreman of construction, directing labor personally. Over sixteen thousand laborers contributed to the construction of the Manor, though few lasted for more than a month here at the work sight. The Professor was...a notoriously difficult employer, and most laborers refused to return after a month of his abusive, inconsistent behavior and impossibly long shifts. One legend has it that the Professor once oversaw construction for over a week continuously, without any sleep or rest or even drink during that time. Over the yahren, the house has been improved to become more and more defensible and secure. Today, Ardemus Manor is perhaps as fortified as any castle...and it has become this by order of the Council."

"The house is made up of two broad wings. The East Wing is where we are now, a modest mansion on its own with forty four rooms within, if my memory serves me properly. The East Wing is where you will take any food or drink you might require, and each of you has had a bed chamber prepared for you if you choose to use it. Please direct your inquiries regarding accommodations to Signor Clovis, our head butler..." Grant motioned towards the gentleman pouring the light wine into each glass. The hawkish gentleman might have smiled slightly at his introduction...but given that butlers never smile, he would no doubt deny it.

"The West Wing, however, is the...laboratory. Access to the West Wing can only be found from the hall just near the Arboretum at this time. The external doors to the West Wing might also be used for entrance from the grounds, but they're routinely kept locked until new deliveries arrive from World's Mouth or Kaza Rhun. Unlike all guests before you, you all have full access to go wherever you wish in the entire building, including the West Wing...but before you would do so, I offer you this very strong caution. Many have tried to penetrate the workrooms and laboratories of the West Wing in yahren past...and all have died. The Wing is heavily protected by nothing more than the cunning design of Professor Ardemus himself, and as such, you will be in grave peril while you're there. Indeed, I have no doubt you will explore the wing carefully during your time here, but please use caution as you do so."
Last edited by Grant on Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

"Food, bed chambers, laboratories, and certain death. Sounds like we're all in for a great time!" It was said part joking, and part serious. The commander always liked a challenge, and gaining entrance to the other wing sounded like a challenge he'd love to take...cautiously.

Looking to the others, and then back to their host, the adhiel inquired, "So how were we all selected to receive invitations? It seems that we represent quite a diverse cross-section of society and geography."

It was a question he was certain everybody had in mind, and the guardsman didn't mind being the bold one to ask it directly.
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

OOC: Just to make sure my picture of the layout is correct.. there are only single seats available now, no grouping of 2 or more together at the table?
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

The little bard bowed politely at his introduction and gave the fair and elegant woman a grin that was both warm and friendly. He was about to ask her about her time with the Prince, but found himself being ushered along, and rightfully so. He settled for trying to accept the invitation graciously.

"I would be doubly honored to have the lady accompany us and to join you at your table."

Motley watched the servants arrive and listened to the story of the halls that surrounded them with rapt attention and careful attention to detail. As he often did as a watcher and observer of people, as the Mr Armstrong spoke of the history he began to glance around at the others in the room to gauge their reactions.

Some were likely thinking of the fabulous treasures that waited patiently beyond the guards and wards of the fabled West Wing. Some were likely disinterested in the whole idea of such a notion, and some, like himself, found it an interesting and amusing tale, but had a healthy sense of skepticism about which truths were being highlighted to overshadow the others. These were the tactics of a master storyteller, something that the ugly little man aspired to be himself one day.

A heavily tattooed man made a jest that he smiled at.

Well done. He thought. And a question I have been pondering over myself.

He took up his glass after it had been poured for him, but he simply held it in front of him casually. He had a mind to taste the no doubt delicious and refreshing beverage, but he wanted to raise a toast to the occasion after Mr. Armstrong answered the question at hand.
Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

Kaelara's eyebrows lifted slightly at Dray's comments, though she nodded in thanks, settling back in her chair slightly and drawing a napkin along her lap as her mother had once shown her was proper. Gaelena's was a familar face, and thus was accorded a smile. The whys and whereabouts were unnecessary to her mind at the moment. A small smile for the young human woman drifted across her lips, but the commotion and activity were too great at the moment to pursue any detailed conversation. So she sat and observed, listening to the introductions around her, and responding in kind with a demure murmur of "Kaelara Mentahn" if her own name was requested.

The pale woman, Tanaquil, at the end of the table unnerved her ever so slighty, and she had a clear view of Finley's vague discomfort across the table's length. Based on the whiff she had noted as she passed him into the Dining Room, she was rather thankful at the distance between them.

The man's description of the house and it's owner drew her eyebrows upwards. Such as the man shared were certainly not worth bragging of, though with these examples of the man's character undoubtedly he was not a figure she would seek a business relationship with.

Indeed, I have no doubt you will explore the wing carefully during your time here, but please use caution as you do so.

Indeed? And was the West Wing your idea of entertainment? She chuckled slightly at the man's exaggerated claims - the law would have looked into matters had there been any such deaths. Dismissing the dangers with a subtle flick of her fingers, her eyes focused on Draydis as he spoke, thankful she had not been called on to ask the question which pressed upon her thoughts.

OOC: Shae, as I see it, there is one seat on my Right open, and next to that is the seat on the end. Two seats next to each other, I think.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

Ashtallion returned a polite greeting to Kaelara, " Namaste. ", he smiled warmly before returning his attention to those seating themselves. The adhiel mage felt oddly relaxed, a sense of.... what? Superiority? No, that was not it.... surely not. Asht was humble in nature, or so he prayed such was the impression he gave to others. As Dray addressed the stranger across the table, the magus turned to look at Armstrong. An intriguing one he was, and his conversation even more so.

Labratory? Well well.... perhaps some experiments? Mystical or otherwise I wonder... , either way he promised himself he would head for the West Wing at the first available oppourtunity. Perhaps there would be a library for him to browse through. He may be a battlemage, yet Ashtallion had higher aspirations and did not like to limit his knowledge of other magicks.

His hand rose slightly simply to draw attention..... " If I may, Master Armstrong.... this Naturalist Society? Would you mind giving me and any one else who does not know of them a brief overview of what their goals are, and also what it is they do? Forgive my ignorance, yet I am not originally from this part of Tazlure... ", he allowed his words to trail off.
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

After Lir responded to Talanwei’s question in the fashion she saw fit, Dray asked Talanwei if they had met before. The Achadiel’s eyes met with the full blood warrior and he grinned. Talanwei had to admit he immediately took a liking to the man. Plus there was the queer feeling that they had met somewhere before. That they shared some sort of history that allowed this familiarity he felt. It tickled the back of his mind just enough to take him a shade past idly wondering and really thinking about it. However the closer he got to the answer the more it melted into smoky obscurity. Dray would have been a person that the paladin would have remembered surely, right? The intricate body work tattoos...yes, Talanwei was sure that he had met him somewhere but he would not waste time wondering where. That would come later if his mind deemed it necessary.

Just as he was about to respond he was inadvertently interrupted again. The host, Grant as it were, explained at length the history of the estate. With each word Talanwei listened more intently. The casual way the man stated that all that ventured to the west wing did not survive sent an unbidden adrenaline spiking through his veins. It was a challenge; Talanwei looked for challenge and for the first time that night, a small portion of him cheered at the prospect. His elbows were on the table, and fingers were laced in a cage. The Achadiel savored the bit of silence before Draydis spoke. Talanwei chuckled at his jest and his words were indeed well chosen.

“Indeed, I am of a like mind with my friend here,” there was the merest hint of a pause as the paladin questioned the familiarity of his words, “I mean, these accommodations are splendid but you tell us that those curious enough to hazard a look into the West wing are likely going to die. I for one am all for it, but again, what reasons bring us together?” Talanwei spoke these words, on the heel of Dray’s question.
Last edited by Talanwei Fortisse on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Becca didn't gulp her first glass of wine quite as quickly as Finley had done - for one thing, she hadn't had as much practice as him, and for another her mouth wasn't connected to a drain - but it was a close thing. Feeling much, much better, and looking it, the girl collected another glass and turned to look over the room absently. Two people caught her eye, admittedly because they seemed to be staring at her - a woman in green, and a tall man with a beard that she knew from somewhere. Becca nodded to them both and raised her glass slightly as acknowledgement, then looked to the man trying to break his glass.

'And here comes the fun part...' the girl observed, pushing off the bar and following everyone to the dining room. She wasn't limping. The fact that she was favouring one leg more than the other... Well, her ankle was objecting. She wasn't limping.

Becca was however hanging back until nearly everyone else had staked out where they were sitting, then moved over to one of the empty seats, looking around to see why nearly all the men were still stood up. She didn't even notice Brionna diving for the seat next to her until the woman spoke.

"I'm Becca." She accepted the hand with a smile. Becca recognised the woman - but as for where from... "I can't think where either." The girl pondered for a few seconds, leaning on the back of the chair. "Wasn't it... Something like this?" She waved the hand holding the wine glass vaguely, cheerfully ignoring Tanaquil. "... Nope, it's gone. But I'm sure... Hey!"

Becca leaned away from the chair just in time to avoid being smacked by Finley. "Watch it!" The girl gave the back of his head a disgusted look, then raised an eyebrow at Brionna, looking from her almost-full wineglass to Finley with a Do you dare me? look in her eyes. Finally, she shook her head, murmuring "It'd be a waste of good wine," and dropped into the seat on Finley's other side.

She didn't touch the stew at all, instead looking questioningly at Grant and trying not to let herself glaze over. 'That sounds like someone I know,' Becca thought. 'I guess it's just something mages pick up...' "I didn't know people were staying," Becca observed finally. "Let alone that we were allowed to explore the place."
<Becca> I am all in favour of getting Elvin laid. I am not in favour of getting Becca blown to little squishy bits
<Sevti> That's a sig line if I ever heard one.
Avatar drawn by the amazing Finn!
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

With a quick curtsey, the healer returned the short bard's warm smile. "A pleasure to make your acquaintance, good sir," she offered. Any further conversation was cut short by the man with the watch who seemed to be in a hurry for them to scurry into the dining room. Stiffling a giggle, she held onto Rhoddin's arm as the three moved into the dining area and unable to torment her old friend any longer, and having no time to do so at any rate, she leaned into him and chuckled softly.

"Just teasing about the son. Got your attention though, huh?" she squeezed his arm. "I'm so happy to see you here. I really did fear the worst and no one I could find had any news of you, only that you had disappeared. When we have time, you'll have to tell me about your adventures after you were separated from Balthasar and I. Oh yes," she leaned in closer and lowered hervoice to a bare whisper. "It's king Balthasar now. He was crowned not that many days ago," and she huggled his arm again as they approached the already full table, looking for space for three.

"Do you think we dare ask the fair haired lady at the head table to scoot down one?" she remarked as she nodded her head towards the woman who sat between two empty chairs. She was content to sit anywhere but prefered to be near her old friend and his friend, Motley. There was so much to catch up on.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

The young man managed a rather strangled laugh, that might have been a gurgle at Shae's explanation of her jest. "Oh, you're just pulling my leg, well just seeing you gaining my attention." This time his smile was a bit less wan, and more it's usual self.

"It seems we have little choice in seats, perhaps the two at the North and north east corner will do?" He looked a gain, seeing only two seat and one at the other end of the table.

"It seems my dear Motley that fate has intervened to separate us yet again. A pack if I might. Let us agree to meet after the meal, and swap stories, and maybe ballards?" Rhoddin waited to see if Motley was agreeable to this, before leading Shae to the two empty seats together.

"may we?" he asked quietly indicating the spare seats between Lir and Kaelara. It seemed obvious that it was acceptable, but better to at least enquire.

As he was sorting out seating he listened to Grants description of the Manor. The West wing sounded somewhere to avoid, but why were they being given this information? Why not just lock them out if it was dangerous, something was afoot other than just dinner, and Rhoddin listened to questions asked, holding his own council, and awaiting replies from their host.

As for the wine, he decided against drinking at this time, a clear head might be in order as this night wore on.
Last edited by Rhoddin on Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=blue]Back from the brink, but still lost, damn some times just never change.[/color]
Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

Rhoddin's polite request drew her attention briefly away from Grant, and she turned a mild smile to both, amber eyes vaugely curious.

"Feel free, certainly - there seems little method to this madness." A dainty flick of fingers accompanied the words, as if including the entire group in her comment. Introducing herself as the pair were seated, she waited a few moments before requesting their names in turn. "I would ask what you know of this evening's event, but I gather your answer would be similar to mine. That the particulars were a bit vague." As she spoke, she smoothed a small pat of butter across a slice of bread.

Not wanting to be rude to the newcomers, she was ready to converse if they seemed willing - and yet her eyes most often lay on Grant, as if to see what answer he would make to the questions plied him.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Placing her napkin gently across her lap, Gaelena listened as Grant spoke, her eyes watching him. Words were not her dominion, being more at ease watching the world around her to take in the subtly of interactions. She noted the arrival of Tanaquil and the strange reaction of the man who had disturbed her calm in the waiting area. It was almost as if he had seen a ghost, though the lady seemed quite solid, if a bit too pale.

The jest of one of the gentlemen(Draydis) her companion (Gavin) had been speaking with earlier before selecting her had her smiling, though it didn't reach her eyes. Instead, those emerald depths began to silently study the words of Grant. A fortress...by decree of the Council...Never come back alive... That last thought made her shiver.

More questions were asked of Grant, keeping her eyes focused on that part of the room while unconsciously leaning a bit towards Gavin, her food going untouched.
[i]Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.[/i]
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

[size=75]Avatar by Lena[/size]

Return to “Erulzat Archives”