~~Secrets~~ (Mystery, Samheen 28th-29th, closed)

Moderator: Mods

Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

Post by Lir Calysta Markby »

A polite thank you was murmured to Draydis' gentleman ways it was definitely not expected, but these people were far from what she was used to.

Violet eyes noticed the achadhiel that stared at her in the parlor looking at her once again two seats away from across the table. Then he leaned forward slightly across that table and addressed her from where he sat. A faint smile was given and she gazed at him straight with no coy look and spoke. Do not sound like a pirate. This isn't the place for it, that is for damn sure. "Calysta Marks." She answered loud enough for him to hear as the lady did not even hesitate with the slightly false name. It was rare she gave out her real name, but then her life caused her to be overly suspicious and confidential even with personal information. It was her middle name after all, and close to her mother's maiden name and wasn't too much of a lie. Plus her real name did not sound as lady like as her middle name.

"I do not know why I am here either." She spoke softly more to herself than to Talanwei. The distance made it quite awkward for them to have a conversation. Then Talanwei's attention was pulled away by the tattooed Adhiel sitting next to her and closer to the achadhiel.

Another man requested the seat directly across from her and next to Kaelara and she shrugged. "It is fine by me." She answered only because he had asked about it but Kaelara made Rhoddin feel quite comfortable and she let it be. She continued to listen to Grant's explanation of the place they were in. A place to keep people out, or keep them in? She wondered to herself as introductions were made. Several of the men made inquiries about why they were here. Why exactly are we here and why would anyone be silly enough to venture into a place that he had just deemed dangerous enough, result being death? Sheesh, at least dress it up with treasure, of course in such a creepy place it is probably cursed. The story in her mind seemed to match the mood she was in as well as the milieu that was being created. Mysterious and cryptic invitation, a gathering of random, unknown people, odd staff, the explanation of this fortified manor, insane Professor, and the west wing o' death. Riiiight...
Beautiful avatar by [url=http://nairohe.deviantart.com/]Nairohe![/url] ^_^
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

The tall Dortman did not wait long. He knew how the proper ladies could drag on, enjoying the attention they got and making men wait. Well, they had another thing coming. Allowing them a dozen or so flickers of time to find their places, Gavin slid into the chair next to the red headed girl. For a bit he simply let his gaze wander the room once more, catching faces and listening. Talanwei..... Brionna......[/] He did his best to commit those names and faces to memory. He could not hear everything, but the names stuck. That would be enough for now.

Then a new girl showed up. He was certain she was not amongst the guests in the previous room. [i]Late arrival? Or a hostess? A posh lady nonetheless. Well, boo-hoo, sorry. I am already seated.
Then Finley slid into a chair opposite him and Gavin smirked. For some reason he disliked the man and felt a need to break his arm. Something about him made the big man have violent urges. Not that he would give into them for something as irrational as that, but something about the man made him feel a low growl building deep in his throat. He had to avert his gaze lest he stare at Finley and risk him becoming aware of his dislike. Not that it would matter, but still.

The servants arrived then and Gavin, picked his napkin and folded it neatly in his lap as was proper. Only then did he turn to the lady at his side, realizing he was ignoring her till now, letting his instincts overpower his manners. "I am sorry about that. It is just that the other guests are such a diverse crowd, I can't help but wonder what drew us all together." Casting his eyes towards Dray and Ashtalion, he subtly pointed the out. "You have a Captain of Emerald Guard there, sitting next to a University of Magick trained sorcerer." Eyes went back to the redhead as he continued. "Which reminds me of my lack of manners. Forgive me for not introducing myself before. Gavin Tylvan of Islay. Currently working for Count Johann there.

Grant went on and on, and did manage to get Gavin's attention. A chamber? We are to stay for the night? He had to suppress the urge to look over the invitation once more to make sure it said nothing about staying for the night. His memory still served him well, but it never hurt to make sure. Still, this was neither time nor place for such a thing. It was the mention of the West Wing that made him look up and cast a surprised glance at Grant. Is this some sort of a trick? Simple 'Don't go into West Wing' would have been enough. While he did want to find out why they were invited, he had no desire to endanger his own life pursuing something obscure in some ancient laboratory.

It was Draydis that made him smile. Just a question he sought to ask, though Gavin would have preferred a more subtle approach. Ah, Dray, my friend, subtle as a warhammer with a long handle. But, otherwise, well done. He said nothing, watching the faces of other guests, trying to gauge their reactions. Ashtalion spoke next and add another fine question, albeit one of lesser importance at the moment. For a flicker the tall man pondered his next move and then rose from his seat. Waiting for a flicker to see if anyone was about to ask something, he would politely wait his turn.

"Mister Armstrong, if I may?" He did pause a flicker, but not to wait for a permission. He just gave an illusion of doing so. "The questions my friends over there asked, are very appropriate and valid, but I would like to add a few of my own." His gaze went over the guests. "I notice that my fellow guests are all very varied, both in location and I would hazard vocation. I wonder what purpose brings us here. You mentioned the West Wing and warned us about it, and then speak how we are allowed to go there. To that I ask, why should we? What do we stand to gain by endangering our lives thus? Forgive my mercenary stance, but I am not known for being a thrill seeker." Focusing upon Grant, he leaned over the table slightly, studying the man's face intently. "What is in that Wing and why do you want it? And what are you willing to give in return?"
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

Dray nodded in agreement with the various questions being asked. The one he paid the most attention to however, was Gavin's. His friend had asked a question that indicated Gavin felt there was something their host wanted recovered from the other wing. Perhaps he was right....or maybe partially right.

"...or somebody...", was uttered immediately following Gavin's question without the guard commander really knowing it. It was more like he was just thinking out loud.

But perhaps this was not to be a 'rescue' mission at all...perhaps it was more of an experiment. Secret labs, people getting killed and then their host talking about it as if it were normal...or expected. Something smelled funny here, and for once, it wasn't Raevyn...

With that thought in mind, Draydis decided that eating or drinking at this table would not happen. Alcohol was right out, as he had to keep his wits about him, and who knew what they had put in the food. His appetite was suddenly gone...
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

With a parting smile for Motley, the healer followed Rhoddin to the one spot which offered two seats together. Seating herself next to Kaelara, she turned her attention to their host, or at least their tour guide.

Though Shaeliana had not grown up attending dinner parties, recent events had projected her into the upper echelon's of society enough that this affair seemed amiss somehow. Not given to suspicion however, the young woman merely chalked it up to the oddities of this Naturalist Society. Organizations did tend to be very self involved, promoting themselves and their members with avid enthusiasm. A history and tour of the founders home was not so out of the ordinary, even if the offering to explore the dangerous west wing was.

That they were expected to stay the night did evoke a response, however. The invitation said nothing about an overnight stay. She'd brought nothing with her for an overnight stay and having watched the other arrivals, neither had they. Her thoughts were interrupted by Kaelara.

"I must confess I know nothing of this Society or its founder. Most dinner invitations are vague so I thought nothing of it. It tends to be an opportunity for the organization to recommend itself," she replied to the adheil next to her. "Often looking for donations, though with this group...." the healer shook her head slightly as her voice trailed off.

"His mention of bedchambers in this wing... do you think they truly intend for us to stay the night? That is definitely out of the ordinary for an extended stay is always advertised as such. We can hardly be expected to stay the night without having brought suitable clothing and accessories," she added tersely.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

As soon as Tanaquil began to speak, Finn found himself freezing up again, breath held and a strange, numb feeling overwhelming him. Glancing up quickly, once, to check she was actually addressing him, he returned his eyes to the apparently fascinating soup plate - which was abruptly filled by some sort of stew. For all intents and purposes, it appeared as though Finley had seen something quite shocking in his food, such as a severed finger or a pair of mating flies, and was staring at it in disbelief.

He willed himself to calm before replying, fingers wrapping instinctively round the bowl of his wine glass, bringing the thing up to his face so he could have a good swallow, without tasting it at all. And then he sniffed, and dragging his eyes upwards to meet hers, opened his mouth to speak.

It was probably a good thing that their apparent host, Grant Armstrong, began addressing the table at this point - for as soon as his dark eyes met Tanaquil's blue ones, it was as if the bottom had dropped out of his world. Finn had absolutely no clue of what to say to her, and it appeared his tongue was made of stone anyway, because it clearly wasn't cooperating. Keeping his eyes on her as if mesmerised for a moment, tracing over her pale face and down, towards the rubies refracting scattered red light over the table, and her white fingers, he coughed slightly and made a small face of apology. Nominally, they were both supposed to be listening to the man. It was an excellent excuse to say nothing at all, at least for the time being.

Grant was making some sort of speech regarding the house, and its owner. Finley had no idea this owner was dead, of course - he did not move in such circles as would know - and to him the speech seemed somewhat redundant. He was not the sort of man who would go sightseeing on a relaxing day off, or the sort who was interested in knowledge or learning. Indeed, he was illiterate, and this had helped his formal education not at all. So, the speech was of little use to the Dortman - and though he concentrated on it, his mind was completely occupied by thoughts of the woman sitting a mere two seats away, wearing white, with blood around her neck. No... not blood. Rubies. Rubies.

A great deal of the words washed over him like so much smoke in a bar, and he took in a little in the same way one would breathe in smoke, simply by it being around. ...place is like a fuckin' castle... beds, fer.... sleepin'... Wes' wing... 's a place a' death. Hmm....

Once Grant had finished speaking, Finley had no immediate questions unlike the other guests. Oh, the most important information had gone in, but his mind was otherwise occupied at present. Had he actually bothered to concentrate on what he'd just learned, he might had decided it prudent to leave at this point - the whole thing stunk of a trap, in his opinion. But Tanaquil was right there. The dominating thought in his mind at present was simply, ...what the fuck d'I say ta Tanaquil....?

"...err..." Finn's mouth had opened, and he'd begun to speak to her, then, without any plan of what to actually say, "It... has been a while, yeah. I wasn't expectin' ta see you, Tana...." leastways, not alive.... "...Uhh... How're you feelin'...?" He dared himself to meet her eyes, and managed it, a shocking case of nerves rendering him stumbling and inept with his words, and for some reason, his hands felt clammy and damp with cold sweat. Truly, he had never felt quite like this before - it was fear, but fear of what...? Such an unprecidented emotional response left him utterly at its mercy, and confused. He truly had no idea of what to do.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Actually, your questions will have to wait for the Professor himself, should you have occasion to meet him," replied Grant, glancing towards the reception room door from which they came. "I did not receive an invitation to dine this eveningtide, so I'll be departing momentarily. Should you wish to depart the house, either this eveningtide or in the morningtide, you need only speak to the footman, Miles, and he'll collect your carriage...though be advised that once you've departed, you will not be allowed to return without a new invitation. Before I depart, however, I should like to hold your attention for just one more moment."

"This is perhaps the most...amazing household in all of Tazlure. The marvels within are perhaps matched only by the secrets within, some secrets rather minor and insignificant while others might change the face of Tazlure forever. One of the more distressing secrets is the disappearance of the Professor himself, gone for the last seven days or so...and presumed dead. That is, no one has seen or heard from the Professor in the last seven days...except for the fourteen people seated in this room, for your invitations were penned by his hand personally."

"Now, I don't know what contrivance brought the fourteen of you here, and I know not what you'll do. Some of you might wish to tour the mansion and be away, while others might have come just for the free food. However, there are secrets to be learned here...such as why the staff never reported the Professor's disappearance, and what became of the Professor seven days ago. The only certainty I can offer you is that one of those secrets...the secret of the Professor's disappearance...will no longer be a secret in about...five flickers."

Grant didn't bother reaching for his pocket watch this time. He merely glanced towards the reception room door and waited, two sounds filtering into the room from the distance. The first sound was a steady, rhythmic tock! coming from the reception room where the guests first arrived. The second came from somewhere further...as if some mysterious banshee wailed from the basement of the house...

....eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeBOOOooom...

The distant wail was interrupted and terminated by an amazing boom the likes of which gave the entire Manor to shudder. Even the unwavering, almost magical light of the chandelier above their heads flickered for a moment, and the floor could be felt to quiver and vibrate with the force of the sudden, distant...explosion? The two servants in the room glanced up suddenly, staring towards the West (which must have been the source of the sudden disturbance) before they exchanged looks between each other. The butler, having filled all glasses once, left his bottle upon the table and moved to withdraw towards the double doorway towards the southern end of the chamber.

----------------------------------

Elsewhere, in the Southern Marches...

"Mon DIEU!" gasped the legionnaire, his shoddy mug of cheap vino falling to the wooden deck of the watch tower. While most of the old watch towers in World's Mouth had been decommissioned and sold decades ago, this one remained in the service of the Council...and for only one purpopse. It overlooked Ardemus Manor, a place of such vital strategic importance that the Council was unwilling to leave it unwatched for even a moment. In the past, the posting was usually a very boring, mindless one, offering only free vino and the best view of the countryside to be found anywhere...but not today.

Just as the storm reached the Manor, it erupted in a great ball of fire. That is, a great ball of fire sprouted from one side of the Manor's West Wing, igniting several acres of forest and sending flames and smoke swirling a thousand paces into the air. The shuddering of the ground captured the attention of the other legionnaire in the little watch tower, and soon enough both were atop, trying to peer into the dark, eveningtide storm as if they might catch sight of the billowing, black cloud in the distance. "Mon Dieu! We...this should be reported, non?" asked the first.

"Vaffanculo! Of course this should be reported! Take Guiseppe and ride into town at once! Report this directly to the Magister!"

"It will be done, sargento..."

Three burns later, a hastened legionnaire galloped away from the watch tower towards World's Mouth, racing to bring news of catastrophe at the Ardemus Manor. In another two or three tides, the entire Alamairre Legion would be mobilized and formed in the Southern Marchlands.
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

OOC: I apologize in advance for the following words. A *certain* person who's character might have a huge beard goaded me into this... :P

Dray listened to Armstrong as he made mentioned knowing a secret in five flickers...

and then the explosion came.

~He knew that was going to happen! Is this man a murderer? He knows far more than he is letting us believe...~

A look was given to Gavin that indicated the guardsman was about to do something either very appropriate or very stupid...as he reached for a pair of knives resting in front of him.

Suddenly, with speed and force to send his own chair flying backwards, the commander jumped to his feet. The knives were ready to be thrown, and he moved to intercept Grant before the man could leave the room. "You aren't telling us all you know, good sir. I believe you owe a better explanation than the one you just gave...especially since you seemed to know perfectly when that explosion would happen..."

He gave the man a cruel smile that indicated he would attack without hesitation should he move at all. "Now, if you even try to flee, I will bury this knife so far into your skull that it will hurt your unborn children. Am I clear?"
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

When Draydis added those two words to his question, Gavin did not react. It was perfectly logical assumption, and now that he thought of it, he should have anticipated as much himself. Still, it was out in the open now, and Grant had better start giving some answers or Gavin would have to see to their extraction themselves. He always hated when people made him be nasty. But, the man started talking and the tall Dortish warrior sat and picked up his spoon. He was quite hungry and refused to believe that there was some danger in eating. What are they gonna do? Try and poison us? Yeah, right.

Picking up the larger of two spoons, he scooped it full of soup and carefully brought it up to his lips. Yet, he never got to take that sip. The man opposite him was babbling something to the white clad girl, unease seeping out of every pore. A former girlfriend? Perhaps she knows something about him that he is reluctant to let into the open? Maybe even both. But, Grant was talking and he held the spoon close to his lips as the man sought to explain. Several points of interest were raised and the reason for their presence was partially revealed. Free to leave at our own will, are we? But, not to return? Professor is missing? And the staff did not report it? How, quaint. Are you trying to draw our attention away from my question, Mister Armstrong? Of course he said nothing, remaining immobile, maybe even comical with the spoon hovering in the air mere inches from his face.

It never made it to his mouth, as the explosion shook the soup from the spoon and thankfully back into the plate. Okay, now I've had it. Enough of these games. Time for some answers. Before he could rise, Draydis literally jumped out of his chair and strode towards Grant, twin knives in his hands. Yeah, real subtle, Dray. Perfect example of subtlety. With an apologetic smile, Gavin turned towards Gaelena and whispered. "Excuse me, milady. I'll be right back. This won't take long.[/i] Lowering the spoon, the bearded man focused his eyes on the retreating back of the butler and narrowed his gaze. And where do you think you are going, my pretty? Trying to run away? Not yet, I think.

With a flick of his finger, Gavin flipped his glass over and let the liquid spill over the tablecloth. "Oops. How clumsy of me." His voice rose and boomed across the chamber. "Excuse me. I seem to have spilled my drink. A refill please." He hoped it would bring the butler back. Should it work, a vice like grip would close around the man's wrist as soon as the glass was filled. If not, drastic measure needed to be used. Drastic measures including a fork and butler's throat with some words, too sweet to swallow. Something along the lines. "Stop right there, or I'll make sure I can follow you around by the string of your own guts."
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Talanwei Fortisse »

Talanwei witnessed Grant deftly avoid all questions fired at him. The reasoning he gave was that “unfortunately” he had not received an invitation to dine with those present.

Right, you’re just getting the hell out of here before things get ugly.

Even as Grant continued to speak about the queer nature of the dining guests receiving invitations penned by a supposed dead man the paladin realized that this man didn’t care about a one of them. Something bad was going to happen here, of that he was certain and the questionable attitude of their host for the time being cemented his train of thought. Through all the haze of truth and half truth the man was saying that all would be made clear in...five flickers? This was planned whatever it was as Talanwei sat motionless watching this odd man look at the room they had entered initially. It was then that a low wail was heard from far off. It got louder and louder until it was punctuated by a rolling report of a cannon? A powder keg? No it was larger than that, and it’s sound shook the foundations of the mansion. Glasses shook, plates, spoons and the chandelier above gave a musical tinkling with the reverberating blast.

What in blazes?

Talanwei had gripped the table unconsciously and he watched the butler relinquish the bottle of wine he had been holding and made his way toward the double doors leading to the south end of the room. The first to react was Dray, as he leapt from his seat with such fervor that he sent it skittering across the polished floor. Two knives in his hand, he had moved to intercept the less than forthcoming host. A part of Talanwei thought it was a great idea to make this man give answers and fast. His more rational part did not agree but reflex pulled him to his feet almost the same time as Gavin. The larger man moved almost immediately and intentionally knocked over his glass. This the paladin had not known until he looked at his face and heard the tone with which he asked for another filling of his glass. There was menace, brooding behind his eyes. It was controlled, and that was what likely made this man dangerous in a tussle with swords or otherwise. It seemed the two of them had things under control but Talanwei stood at the ready nonetheless watching the scene unfold.
Last edited by Talanwei Fortisse on Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Convo Kill Count[/b]: 1
[b]Funny Chat Moments[/b]: 3
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

As the explosion erupted and the manor shuddered, Ashtallion frowned deeply, looking in the direction of the explosion. The laboratory? Perhaps something had caught fire? An experiment gone awry.... he had little time to contimplate it as Dray and Gavin were both out of their seats, knives glinting and threats flying left, right and centre. He wanted to sigh, but simply stood, pushing back his chair and circling to stand away from the table.

Ashtallion headed towards the door the butler was about to head through, however he stopped, turning back to his friends. " Perhaps I should go investigate? There will be a fire most likely... I should see if I can put it out... ", he didn't want to imagine how big the blaze would be from an explosion that loud and powerful. He was surprised the entire manor was not up in flames or in ruins.

For now though he waited to see what the response from the butler was to be.
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Talanwei Fortisse »

Asht stood to his feet and watched Dray and Gavin that were attempting to gain the butlers attention. Four men standing two of them ready to get answers from the retreating man servant. Talanwei watched tensely and it was then that the adhiel mage spoke. He expressed a desire to investigate and possibly stop whatever blaze the explosion had created. Talanwei knew that the two men whose attention was focused on the butler could handle things here. Talanwei looked at Asht and spoke.

"If you decide to investigate, I will accompany you, that is if you don't object. I don't think it's wise to go off alone, and I may be of help," the achadiel said this and stood as all else, awaiting the scene to unfold.
Last edited by Talanwei Fortisse on Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Convo Kill Count[/b]: 1
[b]Funny Chat Moments[/b]: 3
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Shaeliana had about decided that the strangest thing about this dinner party was actually the guests. Many of them behaved as if they had been coerced into attending, as if they had been trapped and now sought a way out of the trap when the gentleman who'd identified himself as Mr. Armstrong, undoubtable a member of this society, had already said they were free to leave at any time.

Listening to their questions, full of suspicion, almost paranoia, the healer wondered what was driving them and why they accepted the invitation to begin with and was about to lower the shield that blocked her empathic abilities to see what she could learn when a thunderous boom shook the room.

We're under attack, hide! was the first response that raced through the healer. But here? In a major city? Then again, Kings court was a major city and it had been devastated by this same sort of thing. Her thoughts were cut short as some of the men jumped to their feet, apprehending the butler and their tour guide, an act in accord with their previous paranoid behavior. It was as if they had expected something bad to happen and weren't at all surprised now that it had.

On the other hand, Mr. Armstrong's haste in seating them and his continued perusal of his time piece did seem suspicious now, in light of this interruption. Had he actually expected this as some suspected or was it coincidence? Shae found she was tensed, awaiting the next explosion of the attack on their premises.

"Surely Mr. Armstrong didn't plan for this to happen?" she said to no one in particular.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Becca ducked around the table before she got a chance to think about what she was doing and grabbed one of Draydis' arms. Not really getting in the way - she wasn't about to argue with a man wearing that sort of smile, except technically she was - and if he decided to go through with his threat she did not want to be in the way.

She spoke low and fast, back turned on Grant. "Much as I admire that threat, don't you think it'd be better to wait to threaten him until he's not the one in charge of this house? Or at least until you get a weapon you could actually ca - " The girl stopped, reassessing his expression, then carried on just as fast as before. "For the love of all the gods, can't you pretend to calm down until we know what the hell just happened? Later, fine, rip his balls off and choke him with them if it'll make you happy - in the meantime, you don't have a clue what just happened, how he set it off, or whether he can do that in here." She squeezed his arm lightly. "I don't know whether either of you are bluffing, but..."

Becca shook her head, wanting to say be careful or something similar, but figuring that her expression - a concerned/borderline worried please don't get anyone killed look that she seemed to have perfected since she arrived at the University - probably said it for her. Shooting that same glance at Gavin - she recognised the man and remembered enough to know that the calm expression didn't bode well for anyone - Becca said dryly (addressing, Shaelina most likely) "I think, milady, that they're throwing a fit because Mister Armstrong said the magic words "Five flickers" just before something exploded. Plan or no plan... Shouldn't've said it. Mister..." Urdil. His name's Urdil. Ash. Asht. Something like that. "Mister Urdil, I'm coming with you."
<Becca> I am all in favour of getting Elvin laid. I am not in favour of getting Becca blown to little squishy bits
<Sevti> That's a sig line if I ever heard one.
Avatar drawn by the amazing Finn!
Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

Post by Kaelara Mentahn »

Upon arrival, Kaelara had quickly ascertained that rather than an invitation from a possible business partner, this event was something else all together.

She joined the party in a brief moment of silence as Grant finished his soliloquy, "five flickers..." and at first she did not quite recognize the distant heightening whine until it erupted in a crescendoing explosion that sent her fingers diving for the relatively more stable armrests of her chair, which she clutched tightly in startlement, unable to hide the flicker of fear that crossed her sharp features. It seemed such an answer as the Adhiel across from her awaited, as his knives emerged to threaten the figure momentarily playing host.

Despite the man's strange awareness of some event about to happen, she glanced at Shaeliana in mild agreement.

"Yet if he didn't plan it, must that say he hasn't been involved in some way?" Glancing the way of Becca and Draydis, she made no move to intervene, but set her chair back from the table and straightened, the napkin slithering unnoticed down the length of her skirts to puddle upon the floor. "I don't believe I understand why such an explosion would reveal the 'secret' of a man's disappearance." Her amber eyes glinted in Grant's direction, displeased with the fear tracing along her spine. What next, an explosion in the next room? Whatever was to happen, her appetite had departed with the room's calm, though she was torn between curiousity as to the explosion's cause, and a healthy respect for the perseverance of her own skin. Her shoulders tensed, goosebumps prickling along her arms as she, too, waited, uncertain as to what might happen next.
Avatar courtesy of www.allavatars.com - Electra
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

The young bard had barely seated himself, and was listening with interest to the by play between Shae and Kaelara, when Grants sudden announcement that in five flickers something was about to happen, followed by the explosion a mere five flickers later.

As much as he disagreed with the tattooed elfs approach, the young man did agree with the sentiment. Just what did this balding man know about what was in store, and what secrets could change the world forever?

Rhoddin stood carefully, and moved behind Shae, offering some support and what protection he could, as he did so he allowed his mind to still, finding the quiet centre of his core, before carefully allowing his consciousness to seep out, looking for disturbances in the etheric plane, for energies that ere out of place.

One hand on Shaes shoulder, one hand wrapped around an odd little pearl he seemed to be carrying everywhere these days. He had no intention in running off anywhere until he had a better idea of whether he was jumping out the frying pan and into the fire, or jump plain jumping into the fire for the sake of getting warm again!
Last edited by Rhoddin on Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
[color=blue]Back from the brink, but still lost, damn some times just never change.[/color]
Tanaquil di Veria

Post by Tanaquil di Veria »

Tanaquil was vastly relieved when Grant began to speak -- it seemed she was not, in fact, the hostess, which really took quite a burden from her shoulders and did much to explain why she had absolutely no idea who any of her fellow guests were. Well, anyone except that other fellow down the table, who, if his reaction to her question was any indication, was frightfully shy. The poor dear! She would have to make it her mission to draw him out, she supposed, and set about thinking of guaranteed conversation-starters, such as "when it is hot outside, do you prefer lemon sorbet or peach?"

Needless to say, with her mind thus occupied with such weighty matters, Tanaquil completely missed everything their host had to say to her. Then Finley finally mustered up the nerve to respond to her. She smiled at him benevolently and replied "and I must confess I didn't expect to find myself here either!" The answer to his second question -- how are you feeling -- proved a mite more difficult. She began to say she was fine, automatically, but... was she? As her mind was beginning its laborious trek through her strange feelings of dizziness and... detachment, almost, there came the explosion.

Tanaquil jumped, hands flying to her face in defensive reflex. Then an adhiel was brandishing a knife at Grant, which struck her as a far graver breach of etiquette than any explosion. "Really," she said indignantly to no one in particular. "And they wonder why we don't want their kind in our city!"

The excitement seemed to be building rather than subsiding, and it was no state of affairs she could tolerate. She looked from person to person as the questions flooded out -- but the question that concerned her had nothing to do with west wings or missing gentlemen, but the all-important question of who would protect her in what was rapidly becoming a dangerous evening. Her eyes quickly settled upon Finley, the only one she knew at all and the only one not currently engaged in some act of hysteria, and she turned a pleading gaze upon him.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

It was perhaps a very classic display of crisis response, with almost half the room instantly falling into panick. The other half had either lost their wits entirely, or had remained calm...a precious few, really, but that was no longer any concern of Grant's. "So much for the...enlightened race," murmured Grant, almost amused at the steak knife threat, before he turned his attention to Shae. Smiling, he offered her an apologetic look. "I'm sorry, Miss Caerdhan, but I've nothing more to offer you. Good night...and good luck," he finished, before he turned to exit the dining room by way of the reception room from which they had come. He had never for a moment...either in the reception room or the dining chamber...taken a seat. Draydis' and Ashtallion's questions (or threats) went unanswered as well.

Elsewhere in the chamber, Gavin had little difficulty catching up to the butler though he was forced to catch the man, as he gave spilled drinks no further thought in light of the recent noise. Having been intercepted just behind Tanaquil at the end of the table and just before the double doors leading out of the chamber to the South, the butler merely lifted his chin in response to the threat and glared at the warrior, a look of pure surprise initially upon his face...though it quickly melted from surprise to annoyance.

The unusually stable flame up above (assuming it was a flame, in all truthfulness, given that no open flame could be seen) settled back to it's usual, monotonous glow and the only sounds from outside the room that might be heard within was the continual tock! from the foyer as well as the sounds of running feet in the distance (though none in the room were in any position to attend to those sounds). Nothing else seemed out of place, and Rhoddin quickly found his own inspection of the room to serve no further purpose than to leave him with a sense of vertigo and confusion typical of losing his sight for a time. In truth, the distinct lack of anything magical was somewhat unusual.

The cook, having continued his soup service (he would be damned if he didn't serve out the cioppino properly, accident or no accident), stopped mid-serve at Becca's placement just between Tanaquil and Finley. It was rather convenient that Becca had quickly moved to intercept Draydis, as the cook embarrassed himself horribly by spilling the soup upon Becca's chair when Gavin attacked the butler, a horrible scald that might have happened had the girl actually been in her chair at the time. "Mon Dieu!" he gasped, more surprised at the Dortman's reaction than the explosion earlier.

As for Draydis, any potential violence he might have imagined with a steak knife evaporated with the sudden appearance of Becca at his side, though the indomitable Mister Armstrong didn't seem to be in any great hurry when he walked out of the chamber not a moment later, leaving the guests alone with the cook and the butler...the latter now a hostage.
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

To say that Finley was a shy man would be a grave miscalculation, though Tanaquil - who could easily occupy the entirity of her brain capacity with a single thought on fashionable satin shoes - could probably be forgiven for thinking it. He certainly was acting nervous, though the exact reason for this remained unclear. Thus it was that, when mysterious noises began, culminating in a room-shaking explosion, Finley jumped almost as much out of his seat as her, and his dark eyes flicked towards her white form with a look which might have passed for genuine concern. She made him nervous, true. But the thought of her becoming upset, of another explosion perhaps injuring her, or even of her leaving his direct line of sight - this was unthinkable. Strange reaction coming from a man who had all the empathic capacity of your common houseplant, but there it stood.

In its simplest terms, his immediate gut reaction ran thus: Tanaquil was his. It was, of course, far more complicated than that, but far be it from Finley himself to unravel this particular confusion so rapidly and all by himself.

And there were adhiel waving hopelessly blunt dinner knives about, some big man making threats, and all play at subtlety and tact from the majority of the gathered guests seemed to fly directly out of the window, gone far far away where no-one might find it. Clearly, it was not safe here for his woman, Finley determined with surprisingly rapidity, eying the perpetrators of this act of complete foolishness with a slightly grim, unimpressed look on his face. Clearly, what needed to be done was to get her away from all this nonsense before something really crap happened. Such as... guards turning up to see what that big exploding noise was all about. Such a thing could hardly have gone unnoticed in the heart of the Marchlands, after all. Finley was all too aware of the eagle eyes of the watch, particularly in areas such as this where he might be caught breaking and entering on occasion. And he rarely had any desire whatsoever to be present when loud questions started to be asked by men in uniform.

The Dortman barely needed the hopeful glance from his first victim and growing obsession, then. His eyes still on the big man and the adhiel... ...fuckin' pointy-ears. Never know when ta jus' keep their heads down an' mind their own, d'they? he made his way around Becca's chair rapidly, and murmured in Tanaquil's direction, "I think now might be a very fuckin' good time ta leave, Tana..."

At that point, perhaps wisely, he caught himself and remembered who he was speaking to - even this girl, epitomy of all he held dear, lights on and nobody home - even she required some play-acting from the empathy-free zone that was Finley Ward. In an unprecidented act of manners, Finley apologised for his swearing in a rather curt manner, and adjusted his mindset to reflect the idea that she was still alive and therefore would expect him to behave like some sort of gentlemen if he wanted anything like cooperation from her, instead of petty arguments on proper ettiquette at the worst of times. And then he offered her his arm, willing her to take it rapidly so he might escort her out of this room of fools and back to the relative security of the reception room. From there, he'd have to decide on a firmer plan than simply get the hell away from these fuckin' morons.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

In truth, Shae had not been paying much attention to their tour guide. He had been a noise in the background while she had concentrated on conversations around her and all the questions she wanted to ask Rhoddin but couldn't as yet. Thus, she had a vague recollection of hearing Grant say something about five flickers, but no idea what he was referring to. Why in the world would the man plan and time something that was dangerous to either himself or to those invited?

The healer's attention was drawn back to Mr. Armstrong as he apologized that he had nothing more for her before bidding them good luck and departing with as little regard for the men who had threatened him as one might for an ant that threatened to bite. Behind her, Rhoddin stood with a hand on her shoulder, strong and comforting, making her once again grateful to find her friend here.

"Perhaps it was just a noise, like the symbolic firing of cannons in salute?" the healer offered. "I mean it makes no sense for the someone to invite us here, hurry us into the dining room and then at a specified time, blow the building up before the soup has even been served. What purpose does that serve?" she added. Then again, what purpose did any of this serve? Clearly, this dinner party wasn't designed to serve any typical purpose.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

The mage nodded to Talanwei, " Very well... ", he looked towards the table again, Gavin, then Dray, yet held back from saying anything to the human and adhiel warriors. He was not about to tell them how to act. As Becca addressed him, her name popped into his head also, " Just call me Asht....Becca....will you be able to help with the fire if there is one? There might be people hurt aswell...I'm no healer and what healing I can do is extremely limited. "

Asht wondered if there were any healers at the table, but again he said nothing about it. Looking to Gavin and Dray, " I doubt our Armstrong has had anything to do with the explosion, it might be the laboratory....an experiment or something gone wrong...try not to kill anyone while I'm gone? "

The silence of the room was somewhat disturbing, it almost seemed as though they were to be left to their own devices? Would their host be turning up now that the explosion had rocked the entire manor? Perhaps it would be his more pressing concern to save his home. He wished Armstrong had not left, the mage wanted to know how to get to the west wing. Looking to Becca and Talanwei, " Are you both ready? I don't think we should stay away long.... ", he paused a moment, biting down on his lower lip, looking somewhat lost which was not a common expression for the sorcerer. " .....or maybe just stay and see if our host turns up... ", he was torn between seeing what he could do to help and staying out of curiosty and waiting for the professor.
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

Rhoddin managed to regain his sense of equilibrium, and brought his sight back to the here and now, softly shaking his head to clear the feeling of vertigo.

"I'm not too sure about that Shae. Symbolic maybe, but not in the usual sense." The young bard was struggling to pick the oddity of no magical presence in the room.

"There is something odd here, but I can't quite pick what, other than the obvious of people running hither and tither." The young man was strongly tempted to try his bardic voice and bring the room to a halt. They needed some sort of planned approach, rather than just all rushing off, it was going to be like herding cats, he just knew it.

Raising his voice, but not employing his bardic voice, he managed to call out, "WAIT." Would anyone pay attention, well time would tell..
[color=blue]Back from the brink, but still lost, damn some times just never change.[/color]
Tanaquil di Veria

Post by Tanaquil di Veria »

Unfortunately for Tanaquil, she was much given to grave miscalculations, particularly when it came to deciding whom she ought to trust.

She shot Finley an appalled look at his foul language, but didn't bridle at his over-familiarity, which otherwise would have offended her more than the language. Instead, with her brain exceedingly foggy, (foggier, really), she merely assumed that she must be rather close friends with him or else he would never dare treat her with such informality.

A Tanaquil in full command of her faculties, such as they were, and her memories, would never have laid hands on the low-class Dortman; a Tanaquil faced with dizzy spells, amnesia, and adhiel brandishing serving implements clutched at his arm like a drowning person clutches at anything that floats and let him lead her out of there.

At Rhoddin's shouted 'Wait,' she turned to look over at the source of the noise, decided the speaker was rather handsome but clearly impractical if he wanted them to stay, and so gave him a look of icy disdain for having raised his voice in polite company (even if it seemed the majority of the company was pointy-eared) and flounced out of the room with Finley.

Once in the reception room again she bit her lip and considered the options. "I would say that we ought to leave here straightaway, but I am quite sure my carriage has already left, and these shoes are certainly not fit for walking in," said Tana, lifting her skirt to reveal ravishingly fashionable satin shoes of the sort that one could while away many happy hours thnking about.

"Where is your carriage? Has it left as well? If so, I propose we retire to a different room -- one without the... undesireable element... and wait for their return at the end of what ought to have been the end of the party a few hours hence. I am quite sure we shall find something suitable down there," said Tana, gesturing in the direction of the west wing.

She looked over at Finn, who continued to seem somewhat agitated, the poor dear. "Don't worry! Explosions or no, I am quite sure that I am safe in your company," she said, patting his arm reassuringly.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

OOC~Sorry. Traffic problems delayed me

As Gavin settled beside her and began to name those he knew, a bit of the unnatural nervousness that had crept into Gaelena melted away. It would take a brave or stupid person to take on a mage, an Emerald guard and the huge man next to her. This relaxation showed in the growing smile on her lips as she looked at her companion. Then, he finally gave his name.

"A pleasure to meet you, Master Tylvan," she said serenely, her eyes dancing. She would have told him he didn't need to keep apologizing for his manners, but it seemed she would be kept from it by Mr. Armstrong's words. Then, he added his own questions to his friends, causing one red brow to rise. Very wise questions, to which she unconsciously nodded at.

Suddenly, all hell broke loose. An explosion of some sorts rocked the building, causing the normally unflappable healer to gasp and grab the table. "In the name of the Mother...!", she mumbled softly under her breath, her eyes quickly scanning those around her to see if anyone was hurt. It seemed not, as Draydis jumped up and threatened Mr. Armstrong. Then, Gavin made to depart, tipping over his wineglass in the process.

It seemed the ladies were much more under control then the men were, as they remained mostly where they were, except for one, who's sudden departure from her seat saved her from a terrible scalding (And me without my salves). And it seemed the last lady (Tanaquil) to arrive seemed quite comfortable staying with the man who had so unnerved her (Finley) and leaving their presence.

Speaking in a soothing tone, she said loud enough for all to hear, "I agree with the gentleman that perhaps we should wait a moment. Calm down. Think rationally." As she spoke, her eyes moved from one person to the next, trying to ease nervousness by exuding calm. "If we simply rush about wily-nily, we won't accomplish a thing." She waited to see if anyone listened to her.[/b]
[i]Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.[/i]
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

[size=75]Avatar by Lena[/size]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray looked to those that addressed him, and more importantly to the woman that had restrained his arm.

"I may have acted quickly in most of your minds. My training is in war...not pleasantries of dinner parties, so I beg your understanding. First, no...that was certainly not cannon fire. I've had the opportunity to hear cannons being fired, and the report of them is much different. That was the sound of an explosion...a large one, considering it rocked the foundation of this building." He thought for a moment to another time when an explosion had toppled the building in which he had been fighting... Had Gavin been there? Asht too? It was a fuzzy memory, but the memory of the building collapsing was certainly there. The sound then was the same as this one. "I've been in a building before where a similar explosion caused the building itself to collapse. The explosion we just heard tonight was very much the same."

He looked to those present to reinforce the purpose of his actions. "Due to the actions or inactions of some of you, one of the men that could have answered our questions was able to leave without us stopping him. Have any of you thought about how he's acted this evening, and how it is too convenient for him to know exactly when that explosion was going to take place? I know not your backgrounds, but my training tells me when quick action is necessary."

He then smiled at the woman holding his arm and he spoke quietly with a pleasant voice. "M'lady, I mean no offense, but I would please ask you to not restrain me in the future. I've spent more time than most present training so I can protect those around me. Though I appeared to be acting without thought, my actions were well calculated. I beg you to please not restrain me in the future." Draydis then gently pulled his arm away from Becca and turned his attention to Gavin.

The butler and his bearded friend were approached by the guardsman, who was no longer holding the steak knives in a threatening manner. "Good work, Gavin. It seems like a few of us here at least know when a proper time to react is. At this point, we need information about several things...the layout of this building, the purpose for this meeting, and any other information our new friend here might have. If there is guard nearby, they are likely on the way. We need to make sure that we're not the ones blamed for this incident. Information is our friend at this point...as we're likely going to be asked plenty of questions when the guard units arrive."

He looked briefly at Ashtallion, "My eyes and ears are well suited for scouting. We've been warned about that wing that you're wanting to investigate. It would be good to go better prepared and with somebody that can keep your way safe."

DMD Member since 2005
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

It was with some small relief on Finley's part that Tanaquil agreed to a quick exit, and as soon as she had his arm he took to leading her out of the room immediately. She seemed to lean on him somewhat heavily, but had Finley noticed this at all he probably would have put it down to her fright at the explosion - truthfully, though, he did not, since the very touch on her on his arm was enough to confirm that she was in fact real. And she was touching him. This minor physical contact commanded the whole of his attention with ease, evoking memories of earlier times, when she had lived, and when she had died - of those treasured memories he and she alone had witnessed. That perfect moment between the two of them, when he had taken her life. It was enough to cause his breathe to shallow slightly, and his pulse to quicken - the very thing he remembered so fondly and so often here, on his arm...

"WAIT!"

Finn frowned at the shout, but did not turn, allowing Tanaquil to shoot her disapproving look neatly over his shoulder as he escorted her out. He made sure to have her safely behind the door of the reception room and out of sight before he made his own response, as eloquently as he usually might. A twisted, pleasant grin on his face, he showed the room the finger, voicing everything he needed in that one getsure.

Think I'm gonna wait wiv a bunch'a fuckin' liabilities like you? Yeah, you must be smokin' something, mate - I value my skin a little higher than that. Fuck you all very much, an' goodnight...

Though it would not do to say it out loud, of course - Tanaquil would probably overhear, and though she might possibly agree with the sentiment, she would not approve of the coarse language if her earlier expression of distaste were anything to go by. Therefore, he held his tongue, and let his expression do the talking, pausing for just long enough to let the pleasant grin and obscene hand gesture sink in before he turned on his heel and left them all to whatever pointless oneupmanship and rash decisions they chose to become involved in. Not being the most social of people at the best of times, Finley had quickly come to the conclusion that he wanted absolutely nothing to do with any of them.

Once the door was closed, and the other people neatly removed from the picture, he turned back to Tanaquil, and immediately the sight of her took his breath away. She spoke of practical things such as carriages and shoes, initially, and even displayed one perfectly tiny satin-shod foot for his appreciation - and leaving was certainly a very sensible thing to be thinking on at this moment. No doubt guards would be along directly. Finley preferred not to have run-ins with such types at the best of times. But then, his mind was not really on guards, or carriages, or even fashionable satin shoes - more, it was on the expression she'd had on her face when she'd drawn that last breath. How magical it had seemed.

...y'were the best thing that ever happened ta me, Tana...

He coughed slightly, running a hand over the two days' worth of stubble on his chin absently and forcing himself to think on the present, and on this ridiculous dinner party. "...m'fraid I think my carriage is also... gone." He murmured, as if he were barely thinking about it at all. "An' I think yer suggestion of keepin' away fr'm those idiots is a good one, darlin'... They're trouble, an'... we should both stay away fr'm... Ah."

And she touched him again, causing him to hesitate in his sentence as a schoolboy might when confronted with his one true love. His obsession with her was perhaps that pronounced already, though he might not recognise it for what it truly was. Finley swallowed, roughly. "I'll take care of ya, Tanaquil. Y'don't need ta worry about that... I ain't gonna let anyone else so much as lay a finger on ya..."

He hadn't quite meant to say 'anyone else'... but there it stood. Anyone else, meaning, except him. He coughed again, clearly uncomfortable, but in his dark eyes there seemed something close to nervous worship when he looked on her. Desire, completely undisguised - or perhaps, since he already subconsciously thought of her as his property, simply tentative fondness. You do not desire after something you already own, after all. "C'mon... we should get away fr'm the idiots b'fore they come after us, eh?" He jerked a thumb back towards the dining room and his expression expressed everything he might have otherwise said. "Find somewhere we can relax til this whole thing blows over an' we can leave..."

With that, he made to exit the reception room, looking back to shepherd her gently as if afraid that if he let her out of his sight she might disappear like a puff of smoke. And, because his mind was not on such things as exploding laboraties of death at all, towards the west wing, where they both (vainly) hoped to find a quiet place to wait.
Last edited by Finley Ward on Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Erulzat Archives”