Summoning: Seeing is Believing - Samheen 27th ET

Moderator: Mods

Morg

Summoning: Seeing is Believing - Samheen 27th ET

Post by Morg »

So here Morgan was again, waiting outside Professor Octava's office in the eerily clean corridor. It seems like a lifetime since I was last here, he reflected, although he knew it had in actual fact been just over one day, and most of that time he'd been asleep.

There was no shame in that, Morgan told himself. He needed his sleep, more so than ever after his frantic rushings-about at the Temple of Pan the night before. He'd been exhausted, and had got to bed very late. Besides, he enjoyed sleeping. None of this, however, really had any bearing on the fact that he'd overslept by two whole tides.

He'd got up, had a leisurely breakfast/lunch/dinner, and eventually made his way to Octava's study. It was the first time he'd missed even a minute of his valuable tuition time, and he wasn't sure how the mercurial professor would react. On the one hand, he might cast him out of the university, or at least out of his faculty; on the other, he might not even have noticed. Although a harsh taskmaster, the Professor had, on more than one occasion, proven himself oblivious to mundane matters such as the passing of time.

He felt sure that anyone would forgive him a day's laziness after his encounters at the temple. If, that is, they believed him. But Morgan doubted that Octava was a man to be sceptical about the workings of the Nether.

He wasn't ashamed of himself, though. The events of the evening before, his first glimpse of dark powers in action, had given him new motivation, if anything. Now he wanted more than ever to understand, and learn how to counteract, the machinations of the Nether. And what he knew he really yearned for was another chance to learn from first hand experience.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The door opened to Morgan's knock and he was free to enter into the plant filled study of Professor Octava. The professor was peering intently at one of the arcane looking charts on the wall. Several colored pins were stuck into it and Octava was wrapping string from pin to pin to see where the lines fell on the chart.

Octava turned about and blinked for a moment until his brain obligingly brought him the name of his student. "Ah, Morgan. There you are. Good of you to turn up." Octava smiled. "Please come in." He beckoned Morgan forward with one ring bedecked hand. As he did so, the ruby on his pinky ring began to glow faintly.

Immediately, Octava whipped about and brought forth his right hand in a warding gesture. His darted to the plants on either side of Morgan and with a sigh he relaxed. "Sorry about that, Morgan, but you have a whiff of the Nether about you. What have you been up to, my boy?" Octava asked in concern. "Come. Sit. You can tell me all about it while I prepare the tea."
Last edited by Tristam on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan stepped into Octava's office, more than a little relieved that he'd been let off so lightly. He scanned the "Good of you to turn up" for sarcasm, but was unable to discern any. The professor's first reaction to Morgan's arrival at the University, after all, had been surprise and almost disbelief that anyone wanted to study under him, so Morgan could only suppose that Octava was genuinely thankful that he hadn't just decided to pack it in overnight. As he walked forward his eyes travelled to the pins on the chart, and he pondered their significance.

He started at the professor's sudden gesture, looking down in dismay at his own hands and scrutinising them as though he expected to see a troop of worker ants emerging from his shirtsleeves and marching along the lines of his palms. Morgan had taken a bath when he awoke, and had scrubbed himself vigorously all over to try to erase all traces of the evil insects, but clearly the Nether was one of those things that wouldn't just wash away, like guilt. In fact, most of all he felt embarrassed at having carried traces of darkness into the University. It was the magical equivalent of wearing socks with sandals, a definite no-no.

Morgan took a seat at Octava's little table, wincing a little at the action. His legs were still tired from the previous night's running. "I'm sorry," he replied simply, very grateful for the sympathy the professor appeared to be showing. "I had quite an unusual eveningtide yesterday. I was probably asking for it, though. I followed this up." He scrabbled in a pocket of his breeches and withdrew the letter that Elvin had sent out, placing it on the table in front of him.

The student proceeded to relate the full story of what had happened at the Burpin' Dragon that night, as well as later at the Temple of Pan, to the best of his ability. He left no detail out; he'd already decided that, whatever Octava's reaction to his late appearance, honesty was the best policy. He wanted the professor to have a good conception of what he'd been through. Nor did he overplay his own role in events, as he felt sure that Octava would eventually call him out on it if he did. A reasonable appraisal of his abilities - and the risks he'd taken that night, the things he'd seen - would hopefully go a long way towards ensuring the success of the rather audacious request he was about to make.

When he'd finished, he drew a deep breath and studied the professor carefully, watching his reaction.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Octava was a very attentive listener. Even in the midst of busying himself with the teapot and cups, he asked pointed questions over his shoulder about the attempted construction method he decided on for the door ward or the exact nature of the energies Morgan viewed on the insects.

"Well, it sounds like you had quite the ordeal." Octava commented mildly. "I know I suggested that more experiences with the darker side of life would enhance your warding ability but I think you took this advice to extreme lengths." Octava handed Morgan his cup of tea and looked Morgan in the eyes to emphasize his point.

"I think I must talk to this so called Mentor Motrice." Octava stated. "He should be leading you into new studies not the maw of evil." Octava's hand clenched around the teapot. "You must choose your fights carefully not rush in willy-nilly, and don't think you all coming back alive justifies the risk you took!" Octava thrust out the hand with the teapot and amber liquid sprayed the room as he shook it at Morgan.

Octava took a deep breath and steadied his shaking hand. Then he calmly poured himself a cup of tea and took a chair by Morgan. "Still, it sounds like you acquitted yourself well even if completely out of your depth." Octava took a sip of tea and looked over the cup at Morgan. "So you've had your first fight and struck your first blow against the Nether. How do you feel?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

"I feel..." Morgan sipped at the tea thirstily while considering his response.

"I'm not sure," he concluded eventually. "The main thing is that I survived. I felt on top of the world when it was all over, but that was... well, natural, I think. But after that it just felt like something quite insignificant. Like there were a million such blows to be struck across the Seven Isles. Still... I'm glad I did it." His bloodshot eyes rested on Octava's and held a moment of conviction that could be interpreted as defiance. Even if his efforts in the Temple amounted to little more than a drop in the ocean, it nevertheless felt like it had been the right thing to do.

"I don't think you should be too harsh on Mentor Motricé, if you do talk to him," the Dortman continued. Although phrasing this as a statement, he made it sound more of a request. "He may have been the one who set this all up, but we - the others - did what we did out of our own free will. And it was our fault, not his, that we went rushing in." Specifically Becca's, but that's beside the point. Anyway, I agreed with her. I thought it was a good idea at the time. "If anything, maybe you should thank him. If it wasn't for his intervention, Becca may not have come out of it alive. As it is, we not only survived but saved at least one other life - I think."

Morgan felt as if he should justify his actions further; not because they particularly needed it, but because he liked Octava, and wanted to be able to appear reasonable and rational before him - especially now, with the question he was about to ask. "Elvin - Motricé - believes that the University isn't doing enough against the darkness in the Empire. For myself, I can't really comment. I've only been studying here one week, and I know so little - I wouldn't presume to judge this whole institution. I'd like to believe that in a place like this where there's so much great wisdom, there's a good reason for everything that's done. I just know that whether or not the University as a whole is taking sufficient action, I personally want to do what I can, and that's why I was interested by the letter. But for what it's worth, you have my promise that I will never again knowingly run blindly into trouble like I did last night. If nothing else, I learned that it's not in my best interests or anybody else's."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Octava sipped his tea as Morgan spoke. He did not nod or make noncommital noises as cues that he was listening. He simply let Morgan present his thoughts. When Morgan finished, Octava placed down his empty tea cup.

"Well, if you continue to derive wisdom from your exploits and not lose that drive, you might do well on this chosen path." Octava said at last. "I never know whether to congratulate or offer my condolences when such a choice is made. I'm not even sure I remember which I did for myself lo those many yahren ago." Ocatava stared off into space following his memories. With a shake of his head, Octava focused in on Morgan and returned to the present.

"Time for more lessons then. You'll need them." Octava said simply. "Where do you wish to begin?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

The simplicity of Octava's response unsettled Morgan. I'd envisaged putting my request to him as... well, a counter-argument, really. He'd considered many possible scenarios, but the last thing Morgan had expected was for the professor to present him with an absolutely perfect opportunity to present his request. For this reason he sat for some seconds in silence before answering.

"I would like to be involved in a summoning," he said eventually, rather too quickly, but in what he hoped was a level voice. "I... know that I'm young, and that I haven't been studying with you for long, but... I must already have seen more of the Nether than the average student, last night alone. I don't feel as if I can just lapse back into pure theory after what happened at the Temple. I'd like the chance to put that theory into practice. Most of all I have a great desire to know my enemy inside out, and that means meeting him... it... face to face. It may sound presumptuous of me to say so, but I feel like I'm ready for it." He groaned inwardly. It sounded more than presumptuous to his own ears - in fact, it sounded plain arrogant. "I feel like I'm ready to test my skill against a real opponent." Not making things any better for yourself, are you, dear? he internally chided himself.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Octava considered Morgan's request. "If am understanding you correctly," he began, "you wish to be involved in a summoning because you feel it will make you more effective at banishing them or fighting them. This is somewhat backward thinking and yet not without a kernel of truth." Octava allowed.

"If I were to offer you an alternative to a summoning that would pit you face to face against a being not of the Tether, would that satisfy you?" Octava asked. "I think you risk too much even then, but better a controlled foolishness than to have you attempt a magic beyond your skill but not beyond your ego."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

Ouch. It stung, that last comment about his ego. Of course, he'd expected no better response, but it still chafed to hear it said.

Although he'd sounded arrogant even to his own ears, Morgan wasn't egotistical in any accepted sense of the word - he was just fiercely eager, and his experience of the night before had only served to make him more so. He himself hadn't believed some of the things that had just come out of his mouth. Ready for it? I don't think I'm ready for it at all. And anyway, how in the world would I know if I was?

I shouldn't have made that request. The professor had made it clear at the start that the path I had chosen was a slow and methodical one, and at the time I accepted that with good grace. Why did I change my mind?
He didn't truly believe what he'd said, and what was worse, Octava, who he hoped had held him in high regard up until that moment, surely thought less of him now.

He considered the alternative. A being not of the Tether... it was unclear what this new offer entailed. At least he knew the forms of a summoning - with this he could be walking into anything. Still, in his own mind, at least, it was out of his hands. He'd turned up eager to jump into the fray, and he couldn't just slink away with his tail between his legs. He knew, and he thought the professor knew, the choice he would make. Besides, it was what he'd always wanted. It was the reason he'd come to the Citadel in the first place. He sighed.

"What would this alternative involve?" he said at length.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"We are mixtures of the energies of creation but most of all having energies of life make us what we are." Octava replied. "On the Aether, energies of life are not needed for existence or sentience or sapience. Beings exist of earth energies alone for example or mixes of energies in two or threes. They are strong in their energies but limited in scope to those energies. They are termed elementals."

Octava run a finger around the rim of his teacup. "They must still be summoned from beyond as a Nether creature would be and similarly warded and bound if they are to be controlled. But the consequences are less should things go awry." Octava explained. "It gives you a chance to become conversant with the form and with open spell battle should you desire to pit your skills against it."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan's usually glum expression lit up as he listened to the professor's suggestion, his eyes gleaming at the prospect. A summoning nonetheless - just not involving a creature from the Nether. "It's a generous offer," he answered firmly, "and it's more than I deserve." Morgan was still unhappy with his earlier presumptuousness, and wanted to make that much clear.

"My main aim is to practise laying the wards. And of course initiating the summoning itself." Something he had little idea of how to do. "But once that's done I should probably try to face it directly. At the least it'll give me some experience of thinking on my feet if things go wrong. I don't suppose any ward is infallible." It didn't take the young mage much prompting to remember the last time he'd had to use magic on the fly against a hostile being - last night, against the ants - and the churning in his stomach and frenetic quickening of breath that had accompanied it. It wasn't an appealing thought, but he knew it was something he would have to become acclimatised to.

"Thank you for giving me this opportunity," Morgan continued seriously and eagerly. "When can I begin?" A yawn tried to escape him, and he stifled it. Probably best not this evening, then. I can't still be tired - can I? "Tomorrow morningtide?"

(OOC: I think Elvin wants to set up a meeting with Morgan, Becca and Fia for late 27th ET, so probably best to start a new thread on the 28th?)
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Whenever you wish to start the thread is fine.

"I would start your studies, now." Octava said mildly as he rose from his chair. "You will have much to read up on before the morrow." Octava strode to his bookshelves and ran his finger along the spines until he stopped at a slim volume bound in blue leather. "Here this is a good starting point for dealing with elemental forces. Don't let the slimness fool you. The author's handwriting is impossibly small and yet perfectly readable. Now there is magic for you." He sniffed and handed over the tome.

"Yes, tommorrow morningtide will suffice." Octava nodded. "Though the summoning itself might not take place until the afternoon unless we use one of the carved circles. I will think on that." He shrugged.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

Carved circles. Pre-made receptacles for the wards? Morgan was excited now. He was on the cusp of learning what he'd always been planning to learn - more or less. Excited in a good way, too, not the sort of stomach-churning lung-wrenching sense-sharpening excitement he'd had the night before. Just a warm, fuzzy anticipation.

"Thank you," he said simply as he took the book from Octava. Flicking through the pages, he discovered that what Octava had said was true: the writing was minuscule but perfectly legible. Initially this was confusing, as he felt he ought to squint at it but when he did his eyes started hurting, but as soon as he simply relaxed into looking at it he had no problem at all understanding what was being said. "I'll do my best with this - and I'll be back tomorrow morningtide."

As he made his way to the door, he turned and added "And thank you for... putting up with me." He blushed. Morgan had made a right prat of himself in the last few burns, and he was incredibly grateful that Octava was even still on speaking terms with him, let alone letting him summon elementals in his back yard. "Until tomorrow!"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"To have a student enthusiastic for his lessons is a burden I will gladly bear." Octava waved him off. "Until tomorrow then." Octava returned to the wall and the pins. He probably should have mentioned the mapping to Morgan. Ah well, there was always tomorrow.

Fin. "Why go looking for trouble when you can summon it to you?" Octava opined.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Skilled by a spirit of knowledge.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”