What Manner of Sorcery is This? [~Open!!~] Sam 29 GT

Moderator: Mods

Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Talanwei Fortisse »

A few moments after Alon left the alley, the crumpled body of the adhiel melted away and the smoky figure rose to its feet. The one that had seemingly retreated emerged from the shadows as the illusion that hid its features faded. The two stood across from one another and in between them the very air seemed to sunder and tear as if like tissue paper. It opened to a darkness that was visible on both sides. When the wraiths stepped inside, it seemed as if they were stepping directly into one another. There was an odd rush of wind and they were gone.

***~~*~~***

Janus opened his eyes as his servants returned to him, emerging from the rip in the air. They stood before the sorcerer and the ghostly shape that had taken the guise of the tall adhiel stepped forth.

"He is strong but he hesitates too much my Lord. Are you certain that he will be enough for those from Tazlure? For Marius?" as the being spoke, Janus shook his head which caused his ebony hair to fly flippantly.

"You leave his doubts to me. I will make certain that he is ready when the time comes. With my help he will be able to withstand Marius. I would be surprised if anyone, save possibly the mage would be able to touch him," his eyes narrowed to slits as he folded his hands behind his back. Janus turned slowly on his follower menace rolling from him in near palpable waves, "You surely do not question my competence..."

Though it may have sounded like a question it was instead a statement that dripped with danger. The wrong word and the man would tear the being of the shapeless wraith and scatter its remains on the wind. So rather than speak, it said nothing and stepped back. This made Janus' smile deepen and he closed his eyes again.

See? That was effortless was it not? You needn’t worry about those Adhiel unbelievers. They were trying to kill you and you acted as you should. Now...you must be Dominicus' hand and smite those that skulk in the gathering place of the unbelievers. They hold one of your own, a follower of your God is in the clutches of an evil wizard. Adhiel, much more treacherous and powerful than the one you have slain, lie in wait. The name of your sister, as it were, is Neit Akil. Go now, if not for your own reasons for the sake of one whose life hangs in the balance.

Janus sent these thoughts to Alon. With them he showed the giantess to the young Condotierre. He also revealed the location of Tazlure and after these facts were shown, the sorcerer weaved illusion. Janus let a crafted scream resound in Alon's mind and an image of Neit being tortured by Marius and the others. The skilled magus sent specific feelings with each image. Seeing Neit was accompanied by a feeling of fellowship, potential friendship. The scream, utter terror and the images of each adhiel and Achadiel was accompanied by anger and distrust. Even one with skilled in shielding their mind would have had a time resisting this. Alon would surely succumb and with these false ideas would help Janus in destroying Tazlure...starting with the club.

***~~*~~***

Talanwei watched Draydis’ anger personify itself. The adhiel looked at the wolf pelt and to the aged proprietor with a marked darkening of his demeanor. The paladin was taken aback by the intensity of his anger and the words he spoke were harsh and unforgiving. He extended a hand in a gesture to halt Draydis, not understanding what warranted this behavior.

"Dray, surely he..." started Talanwei.

"Talanwei, let him speak," the words were low and they came from the green eyed old man. Marius’ face was unreadable as he shook his head.

Marius gave a tentative smile as he poured both a glass for Adante and Dory. His eyes, the color of sea foam missed neither the interest in the Achadiel's eyes at the skin of the wolf nor the initial darkening of the countenance of Draydis. This quickly flowered into a cold anger that the Emerald Guardsman seemed to have knotted close with his heart. Marius watched with not so much as a word as the Adhiel proceeded to chastise him on the wolf pelt. The aged man took each word in turn that dripped with his distaste. He did not fault the Adhiel for his assumption. How could he know the past behind the creature that had once filled the pelt? Marius was too old to harbor anger through a misunderstanding, with no just cause. If the commander were to hold him in low regard, so be it. The old man would speak his peace and that would be all. Dray had not entered the room in the hopes of not setting foot on the large pelt.

"I understand your initial anger Draydis Quinn D’Anorre, however I would ask you stay your judgment. Trust, I keep all life in the same high regard as you do and not simply the wolf that this pelt once was..." the past seemed to take Marius’ thoughts as he looked out the office window for a few flickers. He gave his gaze to Dray fully and his expression held an old sadness. Still potent enough to be seen clearly yet aged enough to be worn at the edges.

"Long ago, likely when you were quite young Draydis, that wolf walked the forests of T’aquar and as you suspected he was indeed a majestic beast. The most old and seemingly wise of his pack. Without warning, he began to attack outlying settlements of Taloh. As large and as strong as he was the Border Patrol was at a loss. On top of this both bow and blade oddly seemed to have lost their effect. That was when an old friend, once one of your order requested the aid of a mage, namely myself, to apprehend the beast. At that point we did not know it was that same wolf that the entire village had come to respect," Marius let this point sink in for but a moment.

"When we engaged it in battle there was immediate disaster and many a Border Guard was slain before I even had a chance to weave my sorcery. As I had feared, the wolf that once was had warped and changed under a demonic influence. He simply reeked of the Nether and it took a good deal of sorcery to contain it. After I had broken the wards protecting it from weapons, it was my own friend that ended the tortured beasts life...this was sadly at the cost of his own. The demon tried to emerge after the flesh it occupied was slain. It was I that banished it back to the darkness and brought the wolf’s soul to peace. You have no idea how difficult it is to separate two souls, send one to the Nether and the other peacefully to the Aether. So this pelt, though possibly not placed as you feel it should, is to both commemorate the sacrifice of a comrade and honor the wolf himself," his words were firm. Marius felt that Draydis’ reverence was noble but the Adhiel jumped to conclusions and this would not do. He held his gaze with Dray’s for a few moments, letting the commander know that he had nothing but respect and hoped that this would be the same in return. Marius contemplated Ashtallion’s words and stroked his beard.

"I know perfectly your mood, Ashtallion. If I were in your situation I would feel the same. From what I have already said, you can glean that I am myself from Tazlure. The wards you felt were created by my sorcery and if there were any doubt..." Marius paused as he lifted the hair that artfully covered the tips of his ears to reveal the points they came to, "I am Adhiel. This place, though alien, has been my home for some time. Earth is the name of the world we are now. More specifically a city called New York. I’m sure you have noticed, all of you even, that the very air lacks the magic Tazlure held. It starts to take a toll after a time. It reminds me of the malady a fish encounters when out of water yet only stretched over yahren rather than a few burns..."

The aged sorcerer knew he was rambling but he would illuminate the reason for their journey here soon. He took a breath and it was in this space Dory’s camera popped and flashed. Talanwei flinched at the flash and stepped toward her as she showed the snapshot. It was an odd affair but it was definitely Dory’s within the borders of the object. The paladin looked from the picture to the Adhiel woman before him. Never had he seen something like this; a painting of such detail and realism. He was impressed as he turned to Marius who was grinning.

"Did you...do this? Some sort of magic?" asked Talanwei, puzzled. At this Marius laughed and shook his head.

"That, I cannot do with the most complicated of sorcery. Oddly enough, that tiny button on the right corner is what triggers the flash and creates a picture of whatever you aim the camera at," said Marius. The old man turned his eyes to Ashtallion. The Magus’ eyes held questions. Questions that would be answered when or if asked.

"I know I have not said much but do any of you have any immediate questions?" Marius said this to allow them the opportunity to ask what they wished before he started imparting what he knew.

***~~*~~***

Janus could feel the wraiths behind him nearly bursting with anticipation. The man seemed to stand outside the touch of time; ageless yet at the same time ancient. He seemed as old as the primordial darkness before the world was sparked but by appearances possibly 20 yahren. His chuckle was subdued and satisfied.

"Hold, hold my friends. I will let you do as you will with the human but you leave the rest to me," said Janus. It was nearly time.
[b]Convo Kill Count[/b]: 1
[b]Funny Chat Moments[/b]: 3
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

The fact that he was adhiel did little to appease the mages' suspicions. When did he become to distrustful of others? How could he not be though? With all the schemings of the Citadel, even in Kislovan, then there was the betrayel of a friend to the darkness. Blow after blow. Yet the wizard was stronger for it.

" For now I will trust you, Marius. Perhaps more out of fear than anything else... ", he probed the wards again, " ...your power is beyond me. ", yes the mage feared, but he also hungered. The old adhiel must have possessed a vast resevoir of knowledge within his mind. Ashtallion desired knowledge and the power than came with such, he realised he could learn much from this old one. Perhaps if they were given the time.

Sipping the wine again, the sorcerer had hardly taken a quarter of it. Noticing the flashing device, Ashtallion merely glanced at it. Some kind of technology, he mentally shrugged, had he been a gnome he would have been interested, but such was nothing to him. He simply stood, cloaked himself with thoughts, trying to glean what he could from the situation. The old mage would reveal their reason for being here soon enough, no doubt.
Dianissiya E'Dorian

Post by Dianissiya E'Dorian »

" Oh, I see." replied Dory thoughtfully and turned the camera around again. Correctly this time. " Like this?"

"Oh and I have a thousand immediate questions, but I'd rather not even start asking. It'll take all night" she giggled, not looking up from the screen of the camera.
She looked around her companions wondering who would be her first victim. This thing seemed to be a really fun toy. And surely she couldn't leave it alone now that she's found how it work!

" Talanwei, look over here. Smile! I like it when you smile." Dory pointed the camera at the young paladin and pressed the magic button to activate it. A bright flash followed and there he was!

"Look at this! It's you! Wow, it's remarkable. I wonder how they maid such a thing without magic. Seems nearly impossible. Take a look Talanwei." she handed the young man the camera so that he could take a better look. "It's kind of like looking in a really small mirror, only you don't move. I bet that if you save the image it'll be really fun to look at when a few yahren has passed and see what you used to be like."

Dory was absolutely thrilled with everything, till the moment Asht spoke.

" For now I will trust you, Marius. Perhaps more out of fear than anything else... ", he probed the wards again, " ...your power is beyond me.

She turned to face the mage.

" What's gotten in to you?..." asked Dory and frowned. Her voice didn't sound accusing, she really didn't understand his reasons for being so negative. " I don't see a reason why we shouldn't trust anybody here in this "Tazlure", especially sir Marius. And yeah, sir Marius, looks like a more experienced mage then you are. After all magic is something you learn all life, so I'm guessing I can't compare my own skills to yours, Ashtallion, but that doesn't give me a single reason to not trust you. Or even fear you, if it comes to that." said Dory seriously, but still smiled at Asht. Nope, she didn't understand a thing and it was quite obvious. It was also obvious that Dory considered everyone presant to be if not a friend, but at least a good and trustworthy person.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

Draydis listened to the words of Marius and nodded as the story was told. "Apparently, good sir, youthful bravado applies to this day." He smiled at the mage. "You have my apologies and I beg for your forgivness." The words were genuine.

"The present woods of Taquar would frighten you if you had the chance to see them. Demon wolves run rampant, a terrible demon-looking man-wolf who smells of death hunts as the Mother's champion, and werewolves prey on unsuspecting travellers." His eyes cast down at the wolf pelt once again. "Rest well, my friend." The words were quiet. It seemed as if the adhiel were talking to the wolf as if it were alive and present.

He looked back to the mage and waited for him to speak of the purpose for them being in this strange place...
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Turning to Dory, he rose an eyebrow. " I admire your trusting nature, Dory. Forgive me though, I have seen too much evil to trust openly. I've had friends turn corrupted and attack me to serve their own selfish desires. ", he shrugged, " I haven't survived in our demon ridden world without being cautious. ", the mage looked to Marius, " My apologies if I have offended you, however I'm sure you will agree with me Marius. You've done nothing so far to suggest you intend us harm...just those with great make me nervous. "

He smiled lightly. Falling silent once more.
Adante Tinuviel

Post by Adante Tinuviel »

Adante took the cup but didn’t make any move to drink it. He simply held it between his fingers and for a moment, stared at the shimmering liquid. It was enticing indeed but he thought that Marius wasn’t someone that he could easily trust.

Careful, he thought. Dying in this world due to poison has never been in his plans. He instead averted his gaze to everyone else and observed them one by one. He noticed Dray’s negative reaction towards the wolf rag, and he thought it best not to mention his occupation to anyone else in the room. He wasn’t looking for trouble. Not just yet.

He saw how Dory seemed to be at ease with the people here in Tazlure. He saw how trustful she was to Marius, and how she tried to impart this to Asht. The mage, on the other hand, seemed to be cautious, yet he still took a sip from his wine.

Adante stared back at his own cup. Maybe Marius was really trustworthy just as Dory suggested. Maybe he’s really planning to help us. Us, the lost aliens of this weird place.

But then again…. Caution. Caution. Trouble brews, and deep within the Achadiel’s gut, he knew this was true. Something was amiss… But what was it? There was only one way to find out.

Adante moved a little further away from the mysterious man (Marius). He stood on a spot where he could easily see everyone else. Feigning interest on the numerous trinkets and antiques placed elegantly in the room, Adante did his best to observe everyone else from the corner of his eye. He was ready for action, in case something unexpected. Hence you could have imagined how comical his reaction was when the camera suddenly flashed. He had suddenly dropped the wine glass, and had immediately sprung into action. His knives finally found their way in his hands, and he immediately executed his 'fighting pose' - hands clenching his knives in front of his chest, knees bent, eyes determined, teeth bared. Only when Marius explained what had caused the commotion did he realize that it was another false alarm.

“Picture? Camera?” the achadiel quipped uneasily. His head started to swirl once more. “Please enough of these mysteries!” he blared, his voice filled with unmasked irritation. “Whatever do you want Marius, tell us now. Why have you brought us here?” He glared at him. He’d had enough of darkness in one day. He wanted out of the dark pit and into the light fast.
Last edited by Adante Tinuviel on Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

The words that came from the perfect voice resounded in Alon’s mind. They were infinitely suggestive and he could do little more than prevent himself from being consumed by the embedded emotions and sorcery woven into the voiceless utterance. The name Neit pounded into his skull, her face burned into his mind. To resist he took a moment to lean against a store front and shove the baseball cap from his head. Both hands gripped his temples that felt as if they were going to split from the pressure the unknown voice put on them.

"Aaaaahhh!! Stop! Let me be!" shouted Alon. He turned away from the street that seemed to be drawing him and the pain increased exponentially. The Condotierre had no choice but to make his way toward Tazlure. Each step seemed to lessen the pressure and dull the pain. Before he knew it, the flashing sign of Tazlure loomed into view. The ridiculous dragon curled around the depiction of his world. The continents were in startling detail and he could see the Western Continent clearly. The broken plate of the Seven Isles in the east and the expansive seas were paid close attention as well. At that moment, a sick wave of nausea hit him square in his stomach. Alon stumbled and ducked into a shallow alley. The nausea deepened and it stole his legs from him as he sank to the ground. The Condotierre looked toward the building and his eyes widened. This was followed by his jaw dropping slightly. A black miasma that looked like a haze and a rolling mist seemed to emanate from the building. The man that paced in front of the large doors seemed to glow a menacing red. Alon shook his head and looked once more, if possible the effect seemed to worsen and on top of this it seemed to reach out and violate him.

Without consciously acting, he clenched his fist and a blue arcing snake of electricity ran from his elbow to his hand. What his hand clenched around was the hilt of the sword that had appeared before him burns before. The moonlight and odd torches on the street cast dancing light on the glittering jewels and the folded steel of the blade that looked as if it had never touched flesh. Alon looked at it distractedly.

Good, a weapon...

It was then that the Condotierre began to step forward from the alley.
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

The doors to Tazlure had been pulled closed by Domingo. The tall Spaniard had suddenly caught a chill and was feeling ill at ease after the giantess had entered the club. There was nothing specific he could pinpoint but the hairs on the back of his neck were standing on end. For some reason the cold air, the growing moisture and the smell of rain was laced with danger. It was driving Domingo crazy and he could do nothing but pace like a caged tiger because he could not justify his feeling of foreboding. It was a twining feeling in his gut that made all of his muscles tense and tingling in anticipation. The bouncer was certain that something was going to happen soon but he was pretty sure it wouldn’t be pleasant.

***~~*~~***

Janus watched the human start to pace, could feel his anticipation. It was odd because the man didn’t exude fear but instead a manic anxiousness that was not standard in a run of the mill human. It was odd but not admirable, for there was not a time in many ages that Janus had found anything of note to admire about humans, adhiel, orcs, angels, demons or any of the Aether’s fauna. They were all hampered by what could be done in their realities; they did not know that this place was not bound by rules. This place weaved by the soul was limitless in its potential and only one had come to the same realization. It was that troublesome Marius and the solution was simple. The silly Adhiel sorcerer had to die. Him and any of his trusting followers, the Tazlurian natives included. He would draw every ounce of power from the man until there was nothing left but a lifeless husk. Janus would go to the extra trouble of rending his soul to nothingness.

The sorcerer cast an eye down to the alley and saw Alon reeling. Janus smiled a feline smile at the havoc he was wreaking on the poor young man with his woven sorcery. All that he was doing was revealing the wards that Marius had created around Tazlure and the aura of the man, Domingo, to the Condotierre. Never mind the fact that he was tinting what would have been an awe inspiring sight to behold with dark sorcery. Alon never knew the difference and when Janus felt the young man summon the blade that he himself had created, the sorcerer was surprised. He didn’t expect the Condotierre to leap into an attack but now would not do. A strong wave of sorcery held the man still.

Hold, hold my young friend, there will be plenty for your blade to cut down....

***~~*~~***

Talanwei watched as Dory got comfortable with the apparatus and turned to him requesting a smile. The pretty young woman had but to ask and he gave her a charming smile and the light in the corner of the tiny box gave a brilliant flash. Stars danced before the paladin’s eyes as the light subsided. He closed his eyes and rubbed them absently. For but a moment as she was showing him the picture, he could see nothing but a shapeless blob where his vision normally snapped into focus. Talanwei was amazed by what he saw, a picture of his face that had been copied exactly.

"Remarkable," the paladin murmured under his breath. Ashtallion spoke, not abrasive but the soaked in the natural apprehension that the mage kept close in his breast when confronted with a situation like this as well as those he was unfamiliar with. Talanwei allowed himself a smile nodding slowly, it was to be expected. Dory however did not feel the same, she addressed the words Ashtallion had chosen and it was the closest thing to admonishment that Talanwei had heard directed at the sorcerer. The Achadiel knew that she did not mean it this way but he could not help the arch in his eyebrows showing his mild surprise.

Marius watched this exchange with interest, though they barely knew one another they seemed bound by a loose fellowship that could likely not be explained if addressed. Some of them seemed to share experiences beyond this one and that was preferable. It would strengthen them and make their potential immeasurable. Marius had poured himself a glass of the Kislovani white. The aged adhiel drank it so infrequently that it was a treat each time he indulged. Dray's words were welcome and Marius nodded respectfully and smiled warmly to the adhiel commander. It was then that the mage attended to Ashtallion's words. The golden haired magus inner thoughts were closely guarded as was his outward stance. If only he knew the potential he had in this place, Marius sighed and put down his glass.

"You flatter me Ashtallion. Though you may not believe what I am about to say, your potential outshines my own in this place...let me explain. You are already acquainted with the Aether, anyone that uses or that can recognize magic has even the most rudimentary knowledge of it. When you pull upon the power of the Aether you manipulate the sorcery into the form you wish it to take be it flame, lightning, ice what have you. Now take all of these things that you know about the Aether...and forget them. Those same rules do not apply in this place. If you wish to summon a gust of wind to carry you into the air, do it! If you are so inclined to make snowfall reverse in its path, simply use your sorcery to make this happen," Marius spoke, his face calm and placid though his tone betrayed the excitement his countenance did not hold. Almost all of those in attendance looked at him in sheer disbelief or confusion. Adante seemed to be the most visibly agitated, his knives were held in his hands and his tone was abrasive. Marius sighed, the young Achadiel was on edge and if he did not explain what there reason was for being here, violence would likely erupt and Marius tired of the whole idea of it. There would have to be unity amongst this band but who to take the reins of leadership?

"You recall how I was referring to these wards keeping things out not in? Well there is one in particular that I am actively trying to keep out. His name is Janus; a sorcerer of unknown origin. This man has gone between dimensions with magic the likes of which I have never seen. Now heed my words as I say this, the sorcerer I am referring to is outside the reach of time. It does not affect him as it does any of you. The passage of time as you know it, marked as flickers, burns, marks and eventually stretches into yahren is not the same here. Time has been wakened, given form and consciousness albeit limited. There are creatures he has created that when they simply touch one of the humans from this world they can cause them to age and wither in mere moments. Their life and vitality are siphoned away by these...abominations; parasitic adaptations of the oldest institute that is known to all...time. This is where his power originates; the man I speak of can manipulate time itself and use it as a weapon. Janus can make the energy they absorb his own. The unifying reason that brings you here is because he must be stopped. I cannot do it alone or I would have done so ages ago. Now before any of you make the judgment that I have dragged you here against your will, know this. The plea I threw into the Aether was open to all. Not one of you resisted because something in your soul told you to be here. Yet whether the answering of my call was for good or ill that remains to be seen," Marius had spoken much and there was more to be said but he paused nonetheless.

"Now when I present this to you; life absorbing foes and sorcerer outside time's reach you may question the chances of victory. Rightly so, if you were as any of the humans that are downstairs save a few it would be a hopeless task. Yet when these creatures attack one such as us from Tazlure, they cannot simply take hold and rob us of our innate magick and life force. You fight them as you would any other foe. For example, Adante those knives you wield, have you ever thrown them through stone, metal, or perhaps wood? In this place you can hurl a blade with the force of say, our friend Neit here or cut with much more force. So to put it more plainly, the extent to which each of you can use your specific talents is near limitless here. It will likely take practice, but soon you will be as formidable as any of Janus' minions," Marius felt his fervor and eagerness showing through and he reined in his emotions. The old man folded his hands before him and met eyes with each of those in attendance, from the youngest to the oldest, to the most skilled in battle to those that had never wielded weapon or sorcery.

"I talk too much. Even after all these years, I still have a penchant for being long winded....You all have no reasons of your own to help me, yet by some machination of fate you are here. If you so choose, with but a request, I will send you back to the Aether and to Tazlure. Keep in mind that eventually, Janus will find a way to sunder the barrier that bars him from our world and it is my belief that if he does achieve this, he will be nigh unstoppable. Already he has been leeching away my power slowly and before long he will try to simply end my life. If you doubt this, let me show you the reality of this threat before us all," Marius fell silent and closed his eyes. The air around him seemed to shimmer and bend. It was likely that all could feel the sorcery unraveling before them, an illusory image Marius had to constantly keep erected so as to not alarm those under his care and employ.

Talanwei himself sharply took in his breath as he saw the image before him. Draped about Marius shoulders, curling down his body and most heavily concentrated around the experienced hands of the sorcerer were smoky apparitions that looked as snakes. The Achadiel recognized these as the creatures the sorcerer spoke of. As a reflex the paladin stepped forward with an outstretched hand.

"No, do not come closer. You have no idea how difficult it has become to restrain them when I release the sorcery that binds them from sight. Plus they tire of my particular flavor so to speak and would enjoy a change. I think that the power Illuminatus gives you would be just that. It is not my wish to pass this curse of sorts on to anyone else," said Marius forcefully but with a fatherly tone. With a slight effort he hid them from the eyes of his guests once more. Talanwei did not accept this, it was not right that one should slowly watch his life be sucked dry by...time? The paladin could scarcely believe the words the sorcerer had given them but the visual cue and the malevolence emanating from the curling beasts was enough to convince him almost completely.

"Why? Why does he do this? Time given life, a sorcerer that tears between the dimensions...you have to know how outlandish this must sound!" said Talanwei his hands gesticulating to each side in a half shrug. Though it was likely that he would throw himself into this fight with the same eagerness to combat evil he had exhibited before, his rational mind still was resisting.

"I know, this fact I know too well my young friend. I don’t expect you to believe me outright but you have seen with more than your eyes what I face everyday," Marius then looked to Ashtallion with a sad smile, "In actuality I am by the count of yahren younger than you are, sir. Yet I feel older than any of you by far I suspect..."

"At any rate, the time for explanation grows short. My question to you all is if you will stand with me when the time comes?" Marius once again touched all of the companions with an appraising gaze.

[hr]ooc: I know guys, a lot of explanation but another post will follow shortly! So post up![/hr]
Last edited by Talanwei Fortisse on Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis listened closely to the words of Marius. They rang of truth and honesty. He then looked to the others present. "In my time, I have had opportunity to listen to many men. There are those that boldly lie flat out. There are those that mask their deciet with a silver tongue. There are those that are worthy of trust despite the unbelievability of the tale. I believe Marius is the latter."

The commander stepped forward into the room carefully avoiding treading on the wolf pelt on the floor. "Though I am a simple warrior, I have seen far too many times the fury that an evil mage can unleash on the innocent. If I have but one purpose in life it is to rid our world of evil...be that in the aether, tether, or nether. The Mother has given me my talents for a reason, and I fight in Her honor."

He looked to the others to see their reactions and then turned his eyes back to Marius. "I only have these two swords, but I will fight to my end to aid you in eliminating this mage."

The adhiel then stood and waited for the others to make their decisions...

DMD Member since 2005
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Janus’ smile had not left his face and in the air in front of him his fingers traced a few lines, the counter sorcery to shatter the wards that barred any simpleton wishing ill on the old sorcerer from entering. A subdued, "hm" was the only verbal cue that the young sorcerer gave in showing he encountered any trouble at all. Obviously Marius had put much thought into the barriers; they were multilayered with a conjoined subtlety that could likely not be matched. No matter. If Janus were not so powerful this may have been an issue that would have taxed his patience. Instead of covert little attacks that would unravel these irritable wards, he focused his sorcery like a great blade and visually drove it into the center of the iron bound wooden doors. There was resistance as the seemingly weak spells and wards curled around the attack hindering its force. Portions of the door started to glow and swirling Adhiel script became visible in a red that seemed like a brand put under heat. This made Janus feline smile deeper as he cast a look to one of the smoky creatures.

"Strike those doors where they come together, if the human gets in the way...kill him," he spoke and the creature was already swooping down the base of the building. The wraith landed silently and looked wrapped in fog as it stood.

Domingo could not believe his eyes, so he rubbed them. A few times. However still this man, not man, ghost man was still standing across the street looking at him with haunting holes where eyes would normally sit on a human face. The bouncer turned to look at the shining red behind him. What looked like haphazard gibberish shifted and became words. Domingo could only make out pieces of the script and it was then that he felt the creature behind him approach. As he turned, the ghostly creature seemed to whip over the ground without touching it. A last minute bracing of his stance as he crouched only slightly to center his balance put him almost in the direct center of the closed doors.

***~~*~~***

"Your blades are welcome Draydis...." his words melted into silence as his expression contorted. Marius felt the assault as he would have a physical blow. The sheer force doubled him over next to his desk and he clutched his chest. A tortured half groan escaped his lips and his eyes closed. Janus had grown strong, so much stronger in fact that Marius feared that the initial stroke had broken through. He wove tighter webs of sorcery in an attempt to bring the killing force to a grinding halt. The aged sorcerer felt the minion of his enemy charge forth and knew that the combined strength would shatter the wards. At the very last moment he dropped the wards on the door, for if this was not done Domingo would have been crushed against the barrier of Marius magick.

***~~*~~***

"Oh no you don’t!" the last word came as a grunt as the wraith collided with his torso with the equivalent of a shoulder. The ground was lost to him, he was sailing through the air and he was for an instant pinioned against the huge doors before they buckled beneath the shearing force of Janus’ sorcery and the impact of two bodies. The two tumbled end over end and tore through the curtains that hid the inside of the club. The falling tangle of Domingo and the half creature knocked over a few patrons before they came to a halt. There was a scuffle as Domingo struggled valiantly against the creature. It was akin to wrestling with a stream of water or smoke given something that resembled substance. The bouncer felt an impact with his stomach which sent him back a step and pain lanced across his chest as four claws that seemed soaked in ice raked through cloth and the surface of his flesh. He scarcely had room to shout in pain as another blow hit him solidly in the diaphragm with the force of a sledgehammer. This time he was sent through the air and into a small gathering of tables. The creature stood to its full height, probably a half a head taller than Talanwei and most of the patrons shrunk back.

Meanwhile...

Janus leapt lightly from the building and plummeted to the concrete but landed quietly with only a slight bend of his knee. He walked up to the young man that was held fast and struggling against his sorcery. Alon looked at him insolently and Janus for what seemed like the first time frowned. He let down the sorcerous threads that held him in place to see what the human would do. Of course, the young man swung his sword. An exasperated sigh escaped Janus’ lips and he stopped the blade in mid swing. Since the sword was his own creation, this was easily done.

"Child, I made that blade for you! I could disarm you in an instant with a simple snap of my fingers. If you would accompany me inside, I would show you to those that keep our good friend Neit captive," said Janus in a patronizing tone. He walked with Alon in tow, by force or otherwise, toward the doors and paused at their threshold. There was powerful sorcery that Janus had broken and if he did not respect mortals he did respect Aetheric power. The sorcerer sauntered jauntily into the club and stopped when he reached the relative center of the club.

"MARIUS!!! Come down here before I kill all of your followers!" the voice that came from his pale throat was a shout with such force that one could feel mild threads of sorcery enhancing it. There was a clatter and motion from where Domingo had landed. The tall Spaniard pushed a table from on top of him and stood slowly. There were four parallel slashes across his chest dripping intermittently with blood. He was literally burning with anger. It was running like molten metal through his veins and almost clouding his vision. It personified itself in his shaking shoulders and clenched fists. Domingo turned his eyes toward Janus with his face twisted in anger.

"Is it you? Are you the one that set this...whatever the fuck it is on us? It's not gonna fly, not while I'm still standing," Domingo let his voice carry strongly over the hushed room. Janus arched a single shaped eyebrow as he felt the hot rage burning off of the man and was surprised that he could feel the red tinted emotion from that range. The sorcerer looked at the translucent creature that had stood near stock still. There was another two of the creatures on the flank of the odd sorcerer.

"Very well. Kill him," said Janus to the wraith before him.

Shelly had seen Domingo be thrown so easily by the creature that burst through the doors. The man that walked in after and shouted like there was a megaphone in his throat scared her. There was something dangerous about him and Domingo was challenging him with no fear. This puzzled Shelly because even though there was no one she knew that could do what the thing had done to the bouncer, she knew that the man in white robes was dangerous. So when he told the creature to kill Domingo, her friend, she reacted.

"No! Leave him alone!" Shelly screamed hopping pushing open the door before her. She didn't know what she was going to do so after a step or so she stopped. It was then that the wraith that Janus had ordered to kill Domingo dashed forward. Janus looked toward the woman. Domingo was no longer an issue, he would be slain shortly and without much fanfare. These humans were certainly feeling feisty this evening. At the young woman he laughed. Janus affected a wounded look and shrugged as if he had no choice.

"Very well, one of you others kill the woman as well," he said flippantly. One of the wraiths was about to spring forward when an ear splitting wail, from lungs that were decidedly not human. Janus' gaze whipped back to where the human known as Domingo should have been laid low, dying. The sorcerer’s eyes fell upon the scene just as his servant was melting into thin air like so many cobwebs. Domingo was standing with his fist in the finished movement of a punch, his left foot planted forward, his right hand fully extended in a perfectly normal straight punch. Perfectly normal save the fact that his whole right forearm was engulfed in flame. It slowly extinguished itself and he clenched his fist bringing it up the back of it facing outward.

"You won't do a damn thing until I'm dead and cold buddy. Deal with me before you pick on girls," said Domingo darkly. This time a there was a thin crackle of blue electricity that crossed his hand, "You send another one of those things over here and see what I've got."

It was an interesting development indeed. Yet it was nothing that Janus could not handle and he smirked at the show of defiance. No human would tell him what he was and was not to do.

"Fool, now I'll tear her apart before your eyes," Janus sent a weak wave of force at the young girl that was meant to crush her against the wall. What it was meant to do and what it did were two different things. Domingo started to run forward but knew he was too late. He looked in horror at the woman he counted as friend. Shelly could feel it coming before it reached her. She curled up her arms close to her body her hands loosely clenched. The woman screamed for she was, rightly so, terrified. There was no crushing force, in fact it stopped a few feet in front of her. The wave broke on woven sorcery and instead passed the young girl and crumpled a portion of the wall behind her instead. Shelly looked quite surprised as she saw she was unscathed.

Now this was simply irritating to Janus and for the first time in ages, he did not know what he should do. For if he acted just then in the midst of his anger, most everyone including the young man Alon and all of the people in the room with him would die. This would not do because he wanted to have his fun first. The humans would pay dearly for their insolence and Marius would watch each one of them die then the blasted elf sorcerer would follow them into the Nether or whatever the blasted Tazlurians called it.

Post by Guest »

Almost as soon as he had stepped forward Alon was halted in his tracks. A binding force seemed to wrap around him and stop his limbs from moving. The voice sounded in his mind again telling him to wait. Alon was sick of waiting and wanted to get the man in front of him to give him some answers. By force if necessary and this blasted voice told him to "hold". As the wraith descended and went tumbling with Domingo through the doors he could have screamed in frustration. In fact would have if a man had not walked up to him then from one side. His long black hair reached past his shoulders, his features were beautiful but the young man recognized him as male. Queer violet colored eyes regarded him with much interest. What confused Alon was the fact that from head to toe the man was dressed in white robes. The feeling that exuded from Janus was not one of light but one of the blackness of the Nether.

Without even speaking a word to him Alon knew that this man was the one that had brought him out of the darkness but was also likely the one that had caused him so much pain. The Condotierre's mind was clouded and his hand closed tighter around the sword. The anger was written clearly on his face and when Janus saw this a frown marred the man's perfect face. For an instant the binding sorcery lifted and Alon took this chance to swing the blade at this man. It was irrational and against his normal demeanor but in this place so much was different. Again, he was stopped, yet it was only his attacking arm this time. The man spoke, in that same voice and Alon listened closely. Janus began to walk and allowed Alon the chance to follow which he did. The Condotierre did not feel as if he wanted to be walked about like a puppet this eveningtide.

Through broken doors they walked and Alon watched detachedly as the ghostlike apparitions made havoc in the building. The Condotierre did not in fact pay attention until the sorcerer at in front of him attacked the woman. The young man’s mind was confused but he knew this place was evil, it had to be with all of these pagans frequenting it. He could, if he could believe it himself, nearly feel the Adhiels that were close. He would save this Neit, that was first and foremost on his mind and then there would be time to think.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion watched as Marius seemed to cave in on himself and in the next heartbeat he felt the wave of magic that was striking against the older sorcerers wards. It made him dizzy and the blonde adhiel placed a hand over his forehead, the other against a wall to remain steady. Regaining his control, Asht looked to Marius, wishing he could help his fellow mage. The voice that thundered down stairs startled him, yet the words brought fire and rage.

It was obvious another sorcerer, or a demon was responsible of the mystical assualt, but such were not uncommon to the battlemage and already he delved into himself to pull forth the magic. " Marius. Let us deal with this. ", his eyes flicked to Talanwei and Dray. They were the only two he knew that could definately fight, the others... he glanced at them. Certainly the half-giantess had some strength in her, he could make use of her also.

Making for the door, his golden hair gleamed, the same gleam lighting up his golden eyes. He showed no sign of actually touching his power, but he was, slowly building it, shaping the power in the unseen world of his sorcery. He was a Magus of The Light. He would be true to his calling. Descending the stairs before Marius could muster any sort of protest, Ashtallion entered the bar area once more and face the commanding presence, whom everyone elses attention was focused on. " Harm a single one of these people and I'll make sure you regret it.... ", the sorcerer had his own wards ready, as well as an offensive weaving ready to spring.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray knew that the blades in his hands were deadly...he knew that a bow was even more so. His eyes cast about Marius' office to see if such a weapon existed here. But his search ended when Marius seemed to be attacked by some unknown source...until the door downstairs burst open.

He was the closest to the doorway, and did not want to block the others. His short blades were drawn in an instant and the adhiel commander moved for the stairs.

The warrior was not concerned when Domingo yelled, as it was clear the big human could handle himself in a fight. However, when Shelly yelled out, the adhiel moved as quickly as he could. No words were spoken...it would be known that Draydis was present soon enough.

He headed to interpose himself between Shelly and anything that would cause her harm...

DMD Member since 2005
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Before either Draydis or Ashtallion moved, Marius knew they would spring into action. They were the type that would act to protect others. This was why he had chosen them, this was why they would prevail...but they were simply not ready. Marius could barely groan his disapproval before they were gone.

"Draydis! Asht-...sanai!" said Marius under his breath. The Achadiel’s first instinct was to dash downstairs to confront the man to whom the voice belonged. Instead he looked toward the pained old Adhiel who was nearly folded by his desk. Talanwei rushed to the aged sorcerer’s side offering his young strong arm to let the man regain his feet. In the space of a few flickers the paladin was eager to rush downstairs with his friends...his allies.

"Thank you Talanwei. Quickly, to the cabinet in the corner," with a cast of his hand the heavy lock gave an audible snap as it clicked open, "Grab what you see and give the weapons as they are needed. You must get down there...quickly. I will be down shortly."

Talanwei gave a grave look to the older adhiel and strode quickly to the door that opened of it's own accord. The paladin's eyes widened and his breath caught in his throat. From left to right there were neatly arrayed weapons each of a master’s craftsmanship. The first a sword with curling adhiel runes along the blade's inlay. The odd thing about this weapon was it's lack of a crosspiece. It had a hilt wrapped in blue leather that would support a hand and a half if needed and went smoothly into the blade which was a half inch wider on each side of his closed fist. On the pommel was an onyx colored gemstone and embedded spun silver wiring spiraled around the hilt. Next to this weapon was another, more traditional blade but equally crafted with master workmanship. It's blade gleamed a brilliant gold and the crosspiece was an embellishment of a Firebird on the wing with plumage the color of sunset and burning fire. It's blade was tapered and was perfectly crafted for swift usage and the stone on it's pommel was a flawless amber colored gem. Tanned leather came around the hilt in a light hue. Next to these were two long bows one with minor green embellishments and the other with a sunburst yellow characterizing it. Each was a dark lacquered oak and the grips wrapped in well worn leather. However there was but one quiver between the two bows. Talanwei grabbed all of these. There were other weapons but there were only three of them that seemed ready to battle out right. It was a silly notion that the Emerald Guard Commander would be hung up on the cosmetics of a killing weapon but he could think of no other that could use a bow.

***~~*~~***

Shelly watched the back of the adhiel interpose himself between her and the disembodied harm of Janus' sorcery. She appreciated his chivalry more than he could know. However her memory was starting to return...Janus...the Time Magus. Marius, Domingo...they had all fought him once. Next to Marius, Shelly's sorcery had been the most formidable and she was nowhere near as powerful as her teacher. This man had become too strong; his power seemed to suck from the air around it.

Ashtallion had arrived first. Then Draydis had rushed into the scene with not so much as a word to protect the woman. The young sorcerer held a robed hand to his mouth and began to chuckle. When Ashtallion issued a threat, the chuckle evolved into full on laughter. The slow churn of the Aetheric power around the Adhiel magus was complex, potent, and laced with his warning. Nonetheless, Janus nearly doubled over with his continued laughter. This display of confidence was odd because if Asht hazarded a gaze into the Aether, there would have been a queer nothingness. It wouldn’t have seemed as if he was weaving sorcery at all. It was not from a complete absence of sorcery but instead a gaping blackness that seemed to stretch to the Nether. Janus sighed and wiped a tear from the corner of his eye. The situation was simply ridiculous.

"Ha! Magus of Light are you? You wish to be Archmage my little elf? So be it, loose your sorcery upon me and see what good it does you!" exclaimed Janus extending both hands to either side of himself. The seeming thin air behind the young sorcerer seemed to rip as four holes dilated as pupils. From the blackness of space or otherwise, more grayish translucent figures took there places behind Janus swelling their number to approximately eight of the odd creatures. They looked much the same as those that attacked Domingo. The odd interloper's violet eyes, arresting in their intensity, looked over the small group of patrons still remaining frozen on their feet and those that had just came down the steps. His eyes narrowed and his grin, like a large predatory cat stalking prey, was turning up one side of his lips.

"However, while you attack me...can you weave a large enough barrier to protect them all? You felt my power child, when I tore through Marius silly wards. What good will that nice little barrier of your own do if everyone around you lies dead? I certainly wouldn’t want you to overextend yourself my friend..." said Janus jovially.

Janus' eyes turned to the two figures of Dray and Shelly. The foolish follower of the Crone thought that his mere body would protect the woman. It was laughable and completely punishable in the sorcerers mind, however to attempt to fathom his minds workings one would need many yahren and no small measure of psychosis. Janus was about to attack once more the irritating young woman that had repelled his wall of force but...

Talanwei came swiftly down the stairs and behind Ashtallion. The tension in the air was near palpable when Talanwei came to a halt with his armful of weapons that needed to be parted with.

"Asht! A blade," Talanwei handed the man the gilded weapon for it seemed most suited to the Magus. As soon as Shelly laid her eyes on the tall Achadiel, the memory flooded back when she saw the bows on his shoulder.

"Hey! The yellow long bow! For me!" shouted Shelly. Talanwei quickly threw her the weapon without a second thought and she caught it on the fly and drew the string back as she stepped to the left of Dray’s shoulder. This likely gained a queer look from the Guard Commander for there was certainly no arrow nocked in the bowstring.

"Sugar, you watch this," she shot him a wink and a thin spike of perfectly straight gilded lightning stretched to the length of an arrow. The residual energy sparked on her hand and forearm impatiently Shelly loosed the energy as she released the string and it shot with a slight report at tremendous speed. The left most creature behind Janus was perforated at it’s throat and it keeled backwards. It melted in the air before it hit the ground. Talanwei wasted no time tossing the other bow to Draydis and the quiver. The Achadiel drew the blade he had chosen for his own at that point. Each letter etched painstakingly in Adhiel stood out with a white light as he channeled the power of the Bright One through his left hand to the blade. Talanwei waited for a move to be made, he did not want to rush forward without watching his enemies for a moment.

Post by Guest »

Neit did not know what to think at the sudden eruption of violence from the room below. Marius was in pain and some of the others rushed to confront the new visitors.

A fight was not something that Neit would be useful in despite her size and apparent ability to cause massive harm. She looked with interest as the cabinet opened and weapons were removed. Was there something in there that she could use? With curiousity, she approached the cabinet, disregarding the pain of Marius and the danger the others below might be in.

She needed to be armed, and then she needed to determine how she could best survive the day...and with whom she would fight. Neit was far from stupid and she would take advantage of the opportunity protect herself above all others.

Besides, with a weapon, she could have some real fun. Her encounter outside with the metal beast had shown her that the people of this world were definitely scared of her presence. Terrorizing them with a weapon could be even more fun. She chuckled slightly at the thought...
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion grabbed the blade by the hilt as it was thrust towards him. Once more with a blade in hand, despite it not being his own Pelegrim, the Battlemage felt a little more complete. " I have no need to protect everyone, dark-mage, as you'll shortly see my friends are more than capable of sharing the protection. ", he smiled slightly, trying to hide the uncertainty that coiled around his gut.

His right hand gestured and a wave of gilded flames, wreathed in gold and silver thundered from the sorcerer, tumbling towards the dark wizard at the other end of the establishment., Ashtallion was under no illusion that his power would crush the vile mage, yet he could hardly stand by and allow the man to flaunt himself so profusely. His sickening sorceries were what concerned Asht, the magus hoped he was strong enough to at least wound the stranger.

" I am no Archmage. But I will be one day....until that time, my power will have to be enough! ", he had gestured again, another wave of the glittering, magical flame rolling dangerously towards the dark-mage.

Post by Guest »

Alon was watching the group of Adhiel before him and in much the same way as he had seen with Domingo; a black aura seemed to permeate the air around Ashtallion as the magus build up his sorcery. Again his sight was tainted with the magick that Janus was impressing upon him and there was that horrible pressure and sense of danger. For some reason, power seemed to pour from Janus who was in front of him and into the Condotierre’s body. It was intoxicating, it made his muscles feel light and almost all seemed to move slowly otherwise. Ashtallion’s righteous anger was perverted to a black malevolence in Alon’s eyes and he was blinded to the truth.

The young man shook his head to try to clear it from all the retaliatory thoughts. There was something that he was missing, something that was not right. However, he could sense Neit the woman, a half giantess among those in the building. If questioned Alon would not have been able to answer how he knew this. Already the strategic military part of the Condotierre’s mind was swiftly assessing the situation. The most immediate threat was the Magus, second was likely divided between the Adhiel with two blades and the tall Achadiel that was wielding a flaming blade. It was no matter, if he were to avoid the roiling sorcery that Ashtallion had loosed he could likely run the man through. Ashtallion threw sorcery at Janus and to Alon it seemed like an assault on his senses. The oppressive force bore down on him and made him take a step back. There was more talk and then another torrent of flame.

It was no time for debate, instead he dashed forward across the path of flight that was Asht's sorcery. It could have spelled doom for the young man but, by some sorcery, Janus seemingly removed the restrictions of the Tether from the Alon’s body. Much faster than a normal mortal was capable of movement, he closed the space and with a terrific thrust of his sword he aimed to penetrate below the Adhiel sorcerer’s cage of ribs. Though Ashtallion would likely notice, it did not register for Alon the ward that had been raised upon him. Two forces, Ashtallion’s wards and ones that had been raised by Janus around Alon collided before he reached the Magus. There was a furious sparking as the odd energy the young sorcerer used fought against the threads of Asht's sorcery. The blade stopped short as if he had sunk it into wood and the young man knew that it was to no avail. Swiftly, Alon jumped backwards to regroup.

"I know not your reason for enslaving a follower of the One but I search for one named Neit Akil. Release her now or the next time my blade strikes it will not fail," Alon spoke for the first time to the pagans before him. Purple threaded ripples of sorcery ran across his shoulders and he stood tall pointing his blade in open challenge toward the three men.
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Marius had just gained his footing when Neit made her way over to the opened cabinet. The half giantess would behold many weapons and bits of armour. The ones that would likely hold her attention would be a large mallet with a long silver handle with leathered grips of a brown shade. The head of the weapon was a polished copper with intricate metalwork along each side that looked as leaves and vines. The ends of the great weapon head were capped in a pearlescent material the likes of which the woman had not seen and was infinitely durable should she test its durability. Next to this was a weapon of similar design but its handle was a blackened metal with dark leather around the base and one end was as a hammer capped in a red ore and the other a keen axe blade. The cutting edge was a deep crimson that traveled a few inches into the blade face.

"Either of them are suited to you Neit. Use either as you wish," said Marius trying to regain his breath before making his way down the stairs. Had he known the woman’s inner heart he may have thought better of this but in his state, the aged sorcerer could not sense this.

***~~*~~***

Slowly, beyond the notice of all present, Janus had begun to feed sorcery into the young man at his side. Alon likely did not feel the change aside from a general heightening of all his senses. These magicks were to fuel the young man’s strength and empower him physically beyond what the Tazlurians were currently capable of. Also, he covertly began to weave tighter and tighter wards around the young man’s body so that it would be a hard pressed feat to wound him out of turn with sorcery. A great deal of the dark magus’ concentration was devoted to this but not so much that he could not smirk at Ashtallion’s words. Even this he had only a short time to indulge in before the magus loosed his flame and sorcery. Janus regarded it languidly as one of his minions inserted itself in the path of the attack. The creature seemed to wrap its arms around the blast and gave its life to stop the flame from colliding with the dark sorcerer. A charred bit of ash wafted toward his white robes and Janus flicked his leg to ensure it did not touch him. Janus shook his head at Ashtallion and clicked his tongue.

Again the flame erupted from the fingertips of the Magus of Light. This time however, the young man at Janus’ side dashed as a falcon across the line of flame avoiding it deftly and made a straight and swift rush toward Asht. Janus saw Alon move, much swifter than a normal man toward Ashtallion. The attack would not succeed but before long, Alon would be able to cut through wards such as Ashtallion’s with ease. Nevertheless the raging sorcery still had to be dealt with before Janus could address the magus that hurled it. He pulled back the sleeve on his right arm and with a curt hand gesture, the air undulated and opened as a mouth to what looked like Netheric blackness which swallowed the sorcery almost whole. The residual energy cascaded over Janus revealed pale forearm. The force of the attack made the midnight black hair on his head whip as if stirred by wind. Quizzically the dark sorcerer looked at his hand which was curling with a golden sorcery and a few strips of smoke. He shook his hand absently dispelling the clinging magick and let his sleeve cover his arm once more. After the failed attack the young Condotierre fell back and issued a challenge of sorts to the Adhiel warriors. Janus turned eyes of vermillion to Talanwei as he spoke.

"You damned fool! Don't you see this perversion of the Aether next to you for what he is? Are you so singularly minded that you mistake him for a follower of Dominicus? Mark my words swordsman, if you let your blade loose on one that I call friend once more, it will be me you answer to," Talanwei shouted his emerald eyes aflame as he looked at the Condotierre. Talanwei gritted his teeth and the flame on his blade grew deeper in intensity. The achadiel wanted to rush forward and attack first the Oneist that had launched himself at Ashtallion. Attacking an ally was as much as sealing his fate. The paladin was confident in his skill with a blade but it was the inhuman speed of the man's movement that stopped him.

"Now, now Alon. Perhaps you are being a bit hasty...we wouldn't want our paladin friend here to get angry with you," said Janus indulgingly and arched an eyebrow as he looked at Asht, "Certainly you don’t think I mean your foolish companions do you? I am talking about these...humans that have had neither the opportunity nor the presence of mind to leave this place," Janus indicated the men and women huddled in the furthest corners from him.

"I have no qualms with ending their less than significant lives, I am just curious if you share that same disregard because you are trying my patience," purred Janus letting his eyes narrow to slits.

"You feel it don’t you Ashtallion? That sick, slow realization that you may not be able to overcome me even if you use the last bit of your energy...surely it is twining around your stomach now, making you doubt your own abilities. The way you are now, there is no hope of bringing me to justice as you so desire. I agree wholeheartedly my good elf, you are no Arch Mage and if you continue you will not survive to see the day," said Janus as he folded his arms.

***~~*~~***

Marius slowly made his way down the stairs, drawing strength from within. It could be the end of him waiting in the form of the timeless sorcerer. The violet eyes and long black hair that haunted his dreams along with his terrible power. The old sorcerer emerged from the stairwell standing tall, he held no fear in his face as he stood across from his adversary. Janus stepped forward clapping his hands magnanimously. The dark magus started to circle Marius appraising him with his eye.

"Well, well, well...it seems our esteemed mage has decided to grace humble visitors such as us with his presence. Have you finally come to face the fate that only I can deliver to you? Do you bow your head and beg for mercy? You certainly look as if time has taken a toll on that old face of yours. Are you tired Marius? I can grant you the rest that you desire and you will not have to run anymore..." said Janus in his audacious manner. Marius raised his hand to halt the blustering tirade.

"You waste your time Janus. I bow to no one, let alone an abomination such as you," said Marius strongly. Janus shrugged as he continued to walk and folded his hands behind his back.

"Your decision is your own but I will kill every one of these people you have dragged here before your eyes and when...only when you have been stripped of all hope, all chance of stopping me, I will send you to the deepest darkness any of your kind has ever known," Janus words were venomous and filled with a level of sincerity that only the truly evil possess. Marius knew that he could hold Janus back for a short time if the dark magus decided to lash out but if he could guarantee the safety of all in the club without bloodshed...it may be worth the sacrifice.

"If I were to surrender myself, you would let these people go?" Marius felt foolish for even asking. Janus would lie with a honeyed tongue if it would serve his ends. Janus rolled his eyes to the sky and sighed.

"Well...they would certainly have a better chance at surviving this encounter were you to just cooperate," said Janus stopping in front of Marius. The aged sorcerer frowned for he could feel the betrayal, could imagine Janus lashing out and killing every living being in his radius of sorcery. Marius hesitated, for the fate of all rested on chance as slim as a knifeblade and the merest misstep in judgement could send them careening into hopelessness.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

It took a moment for Dray to recover from the surprise as he watched Shelly unleash an arrow of pure energy. Her spunk was something that caught and held his attention. This woman was one that he would not grow tired of.

The words of Marius then echoed in his mind. He remembered how the mage told them that their abilities were near limitless here...but they would have to learn how to use that power. There was no time like the present to try and learn.

His words were directed at Shelly as an arrow was pulled from his quiver. "That was fancy shooting, m'lady, but how fast are you?" He smiled as the arrow was readied and fired...followed up with additional arrows fired as fast as he could accurately shoot them....at Alon. His target was the man who had attacked Ashtallion and now stood defiantly in front of them. The arrows were aimed at various places on the man...no one arrow following exactly after the prior one. He wanted to make it as difficult as possible for Alon to dodge them or for him to be able to deflect them with his blade. "The Mother Crone has Her opinion of you, and I am here to deliver that message." The words were cold and low. There was no hesitation or doubt held within them...

DMD Member since 2005
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion stood with no expression on his face, devoid of emotion, yet while it was absent from his features, it blazed with a cold fury in his golden eyes. Those orbs glittering with ire. Alon crashed into the warding shield about Ashtallion, it would take a powerful mage, such as this Jauns, to smash through his defenses. With a flick of his wrist, he slammed a ball of condensed air into the human child, not waiting for the results, he simply turned about and watched Janus as he spoke to Marius.

His power coiled around his hands, tightly bound, ropes of lightning, flashing blue and white, crackled with thunderous delight. " No need to surrender, Marius, you know as I do that this creature will kill us all even if you hand yourself over to him peacefully. "

" I know I can't defend all within this place, Janus. Some may well die. I cannot change that. However I can do my damn best in bringing you down....", he cast one hand out to the dark mage, thunder compacting with powerful concussive force, lightning arched and screamed, leaping through the air, joining in with Ashtallions own cries as he shouted strange sounding words.

Post by Guest »

Neit smiled at Marius when he told her of the two weapons in the cabinet. She thought about each of them briefly and then shrugged. Where one was good, two are better. With that, both large weapons were withdrawn from the cabinet and she headed towards the top of the stairs to watch what was happening...
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Domingo did not know what the hell was going on. There were a few things that he did know. The guy in white robes was bad news and the ghost looking creatures around him weren’t much better. Like Shelly, bits and pieces of his own memory had begun to crack the woven fallacy that had been what he thought was his own past. Janus had been chasing them for what seemed like ages, Marius had locked away both he and Shelly’s latent abilities because they had not the sophistication to shield their own raging magicks. Both were talented in focusing Aetheric energy but their powers were limited to that which could only destroy. This made both the woman and himself tread a fine line to avoid a dark path. Shelly used the bow infused with focusing magicks to allow her to loose the elements as she had exhibited. Domingo controlled his power in a different way.

The warrior had never shown a propensity for hurling bolts of flame or electricity. Instead he had shown great skill in martial arts. Marius trained him to focus threads of the Aether around an attacking point on his body and imbue his strikes with a nasty surprise. This had allowed him to kill the wraith that had attacked him and his returning strength burned within him as he looked at Alon most pointedly. If unchecked the young man would likely grow much stronger. Domingo would not let the young human harm Shelly, or any of his new allies. All he could do was wait for the right time to strike against the young man. The bouncer was confident in his ability to land a blow sufficient enough to make the Condotierre think twice at the very least.

***~~*~~***

If Domingo was worried about Alon, Janus could feel the power bubbling from both he and Shelly which could prove more than troublesome. The dark sorcerer still gave his attention to Marius but was expanding his senses to watch for any sudden attacks. The most immediate came from Draydis as he loosed a volley of expertly shot arrows toward Alon. It was almost certain that the swordsman would be able to defend himself but for a moment, Janus’ eyes flicked to the young man’s figure to make sure that his wards were holding well. Only a few arrows actually struck the Condotierre but were halted by his sorcery from causing harm. The sorcerer indulged himself with a grin and shook his head. How slowly these Tazlurian's learned but Janus was ready to teach them. Again the Magus of Light's voice sounded clear and strong with words of challenge. The tone grated upon the dark sorcerer's nerves and caused the grin to fade as a wave of murderous energy sped toward him. A dark look of malice painted the flawless face and what ran through his veins burned under his skin.

"Ashtallion! NO!" shouted Marius. As close as he was to Janus the old man could feel the dark magus pulling together energies. Ones that he, Domingo, and Shelly were intimately acquainted with. There were no wards to speak of but the Aether bent inward forming as a cup with which to catch the roaring thunder. It slammed strong and damagingly against the containing sorcery and with a murmured word and a gesture of his hand Janus sealed the lightning...and turned it on the crowd of innocents. A flare of brilliant power lanced out into the Aether like an ugly spiderweb as the dark mage added the sick nothingness of his sorcery to the already sizable power of Ashtallion's redirected blast. The unleashed power blew away the wall and tore savagely through the alley behind Tazlure tearing chunks of concrete in its wake. The tall building beyond the alley absorbed the shock with a ground shaking thud and there was a smoking hole with twisted steel beams marking the ferocity of the attack. There were no human remains to mark there were even people standing along the wall. The magus relished the sweetness of the humans souls reuniting with the Aether.

"Yes, Ashtallion. Of course when you said some, I decided to give you one better...and now they are all dead," said Janus with a dark scowl.

Marius gasped as the lives extinguished; the shock and pain that hit his consciousness was like a physical blow. Lids closed on eyes the color of the sea and he swayed slightly trying to pull back his Aetheric senses. If he could just pull away from the intoxicating strength he could mount a counterattack of some sort, with the help of Ashtallion perhaps. Their powers combined would at least force Janus back if only a bit so that an escape could be made.

Without even speaking Domingo launched himself at Alon. Hopefully while Janus was taking his sick pleasure in death, the wards guarding the young swordsman would be lax. A gutteral roar issued from the tall man as he turned with a whipping speed to deliver a kick to Alon's exposed flank. Cords of cold energy wove themselves into a tight mesh around the heel of Domingo's foot and would explode with an icy impact should he connect. In mid air however, his body halted as constricting bands of sorcery stopped his limbs from moving. He already knew then that Janus had not missed any of his movement. The fighter struggled but he was only more tightly restrained. The large man was plucked through the air and thrown against an unforgiving wall. The air was crushed from his lungs and he had no time to ascertain if any of his bones had broken with the impact before he was thrown through the emptiness where the wall used to be. Domingo tumbled across jagged concrete that cut through clothing and bit into his skin.

"DOMINGO!!!!!" Shelly saw her friend brutalized in a casual manner by Janus and something within the dimunitive woman broke. Back she pulled her bowstring and the power she tapped into was not elemental in a direct sense. If Ashtallion were looking upon her it would seem like a pure gilded sorcery of the Aether, borne of righteousness and designed to sunder the deepest of darkness. Instead of a sliver of arrow thin energy it was inches in diameter and her whole arm was engulfed in this same power. In her rage, she loosed this bolt and sent shot after shot a handful of flickers slower than what Dray was capable of. What she lacked in speed, however, Shelly made up for in sheer power. Janus was pleasantly surprised with every crashing blast that slammed viciously into his wards.

Marius saw this as an opportunity that screamed in his face. The aged sorcerer scarcely let his power loose because it was then that the parasitic creatures had most access to his magick. However, to save the hope for another time that he could allow the warriors fight to their full capabilities, he would give what he had to drive the vile mage from this place.

When I let loose my sorcery, follow my power with your own. Our powers together can give us the time to escape Ashtallion!

A silent thought he sent into the Aether toward Ashtallion. He envisioned his magicks as a wedge used to split a log in two and Ashtallion's the hammer that provided the force to do it. With a masters hand he crafted a thin wave of energy that he wove tighter and tighter until it was the Aetheric equivalent of a steel edge. The sorcerer put all of his power behind the stroke and it struggled valiantly against Janus' wards. Alone he and Shelly would not prevail...but perhaps with the Magus of Light it would be a different tale.

***~~*~~***

Among those fighting, Draydis, Ashtallion and Talanwei namely, there was an odd feeling tickling the edges of their consciousness. If given enough attention it would likely prove to their advantage. The edges that marked the ends of their abilities were worn thin. Whether this was due to Marius calling their attention to this or a natural occurrence in this world, they would never know. Ashtallion would feel that he could draw upon the Aether without sacrificing his stamina completely as per usual. The potency of his sorcery would be twofold if not more. Draydis would feel a warmth beginning in his breast and creeping into his extremities. The already swift adhiel would feel as a feather if he focused enough on this strength and each attack would have vast strength behind it. Talanwei felt this and focused singularly on it. Like layers of sediment, the amount of energy that the paladin could safely pool from his god was slowly building. The glow that began on his blade started to extend to his exposed flesh until it shone with its own light. Talanwei grinned, it was time for Alon to know the might of Illuminatus and the havoc a follower of the Crone could wreak.

"DRAYDIS! Let us show this dog of Dominicus what it means to challenge us!" Talanwei shouted this to the Emerald Guard Commander for the sound of the raging sorcery was akin to that of a tempest. Without waiting for an answer in the affirmative that he was sure would come, the Paladin dashed forward with the borrowed blade. His body was near a blur as he swung in attack.
Last edited by Talanwei Fortisse on Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Alon’s eyes shifted from Ashtallion to Draydis and to Talanwei. The sorcerer turned his attentions away from the Condotierre without so much as a word. If there were any outward signs of being struck with the force Ashtallion had thrown, the young man did not notice. Janus had ensured that no harm had come from the minor attack. The dismissal enraged Alon but he had no time to shout further challenge to Asht because of this. This was largely due to the hail of arrows that were loosed toward him from Dray’s bow. They flew in succession and at different points on his body. To the young man’s dim surprise the arrows normally would have been too swift for even he to deflect. The Condotierre’s skill with the blade was extensive but there were limits to human capabilities weren’t there?

His arm began to move of its own accord. The arrow that flew first was deflected with a pinpoint thrust that only the sharpest of eyes would have seen impacting the very head of the arrow that sent it askew and clattering across the wood floor. The arm of the trained swordsman whipped with grace and inherent strength as he knocked more and more of them aside. Despite Alon’s accelerated speed, two arrows penetrated the cage of steel he made with his Schlaeger. They slammed into his torso and thigh but bit into the tightly weaved wards around the young man’s body before falling to the ground. Vermillion sparks of energy ran from the impacted areas as he looked at the points where the arrows would have pierced. Alon extended his arms to either side and opened his stance.

"It seems those arrows of yours are of no use. A bow is the weapon of a coward. I think you may fare better with those swords because when I deliver what the One's thoughts of you are, it will be at arms length with the point of a sword," said Alon with a smirk. This was gone as the sickening feel of Ashtallion's sorcery assailed his enhanced senses again. His hands went to his skull and he closed his eyes trying to blot out the horrible feeling that dug into his mind. His stance had been open for any sudden rush but when it came it was not from the quarter he expected. From his rear came the human, Domingo, for he could feel his presence. How he knew the man's name however was unknown to him. With a snarl he turned about with a lateral swing that would have been meant to cleave through the mans throat. The scream of the blade bit through air as he saw the man held in the air outside of his radius of attack. Alon gave no more notice as Domingo was thrown about as a doll and the woman standing behind the foolish adhiel archer launched an attack at Janus which was then followed by Marius' complex weavings. The magicks looked as a sick perversion of the Aether to his sight and he watched with wide eyes as the magus that had given him his weapon held them back.

Talanwei's shout brought him back to readiness as the achadiel dashed toward him. Now this was something he could savor. A crossing of blades with another swordsman, perhaps two if Draydis were to join the fray. He rose to meet the paladin with a powerful stroke as their two blades collided with terrific force. Such force that both men stumbled back unused to the amount of power they were wielding. In the moment after this initial attack, Alon saw the woman standing atop the stairs. It was Neit undeniably and his eyes softened, his expression brightened.

"Neit Akil!!," this would likely pull no recognition to the woman and he added, "Do not ask me how I come to know your name but I am here to deliver you from this den of pagans! Join with me so we can leave this place!"
Dianissiya E'Dorian

Post by Dianissiya E'Dorian »

Well Dory surely picked a right moment to depart in search for the ladies bathroom where she was amazed by the huge mirror one of quality she had never seen before, and when she remembered others were waiting for her - she couldn't remember the way she came. How embarrassing. The only thing to worry her was all that noise and racket coming from downstairs. Could she have missed something important?

The adhiel girl ran down the corridors of the Tazlure taking a few wrong turns a couple of times, but was finally she came to the door of what seemed to be the cabinet where everyone was supposed to be, (or so she though) only to find there was no one there. At least she hadn't noticed them from a first glance and was about to rush back downstairs. Now that she had an idea of where she was, she though she remembered where to go.
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

A fine time it was for a bathroom break for Dianissiya indeed. She had missed the subtleties of Janus’ intrusion though she would likely feel the presence of a fell perversion of the Aether at least slightly. Plus there was the unmistakable noise coming from the lower level of the building. What she would have noticed most however would have been the rolling explosion that shook the building to its core when the wall was blown away. From almost anywhere upstairs, the sounds of crashing lightning and explosions could be heard. When Dory returned to Marius office which was quite empty save for perhaps Adante her attention was drawn to the oak cabinet in the corner of the large room. It was sitting ajar from when Neit had taken her choices from the inside.

Upon looking into the cabinet Dory would see a folded cloak that would most immediately draw attention and it shimmered a dark blue in the half light spilling into the slightly obscured interior. The clasps for the neck of the article of clothing were beaten silver and were in the shape of two starbursts with a mother of pearl inlay. If she touched the cloak it would fill her with a sense of safety. This was due to provide protection past what armor was capable of. Hanging on a peg next to this cloak was a pair of two black leather gloves lined in soft fur that were covered in runes along the palm and back of the glove that were meant to enhance the potency of a given weaving of Aetheric energy. The young Adhiel woman could choose either of these, or both. However the conflicting sorcery used in the creation of each would possibly create an unstable reaction. It was left to Dory to decide what to do.

If Adante felt the inclination to follow Dory in her inspection of the items inside he would see a few things that would likely suit his preference. Two fighting blades, longer slightly than hunting knives, were lain cris-crossed along holding pegs. The blades had a slight curve as a scimitar but the edge was along the inside of this curve. They came to a more pronounced curve at the edge of the blades ending just short of a full hook. Adante would find the hilt of each a finely crafted fit to each of his hands and below was also a string of knives balanced for throwing. These were durable folded steel and barbed for easy entry to flesh but would prove not nearly so easy to remove.

Meanwhile downstairs a battle raged that would pass them by if they were not careful.

Return to “Erulzat Archives”