Kis: Decisions and Consequences - Temple of K'tan - 27th ET

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Post by Alustariel Urdil »

Alu knew her attackers were close on her heels but she still felt able enough to give them a chase. Then ... all of a sudden, there was a bench. It was familiar, could it have been the bench that sat beside the Great Oak? The Oak was a large enough tree that she could hide behind, or climb if the branches were low enough. It had also fed the High Priestess some kind of power, a tree imbrued with the essence of the Mother.

Alu darted over the bench to investigate whether or not the great oak sat behind it, obscured by the misty shroud. She also hoped but be doing this the Wolves would instead follow the path and go right by her. But she did not hold her breath, if these Wolves were tracking her without sound or sight ... she had a right to be afraid that they might catch her.

Grant me luck, Great Mother. She prayed silently in her thoughts.
[i]Abara kadabara, alakazaaaaam![/i]
Posting on Tuesdays and Thursdays
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

The mage frowned as he came across the small difficulty of unravelling the energies making up the fog, however he had some moderate success. It was clear he would have to practice Storm Sorcery more often to gain a better understanding and affinity for it. For now, the wizard was content with his dismantling of the fog, if even only in a small area, it allowed them to advance.

Still maintaining his shield, the sorcerer merely nodded to the lieutenant, following in their wake. After a moment, he whispered. " I would advise you to be ready to stand clear of me....if need be I will be weaving dangerous magic, best you are all some distance from me incase you get caught in my line of fire. ", and fire it would be. If these members of the Brotherhood wanted to see a true Firelord, they would see one, before being consumed by those very flames for even dreaming of harming his sister. The magus could feel his anger growing, but he kept it in check, not allowing it to lead his thoughts and actions. Nothing good came of seeking power from emotions. Such was considered a darker side of magic.

Seeking out strands of heat, the mage grabbed hold of them, prepared to weave them quickly into fireballs.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Post by Sebastian Beauvais »

Alustariel was in luck, or K'tan watched over her, for as she passed the bench the reassuring bulk of the giant oak tree's bole resolved itself into first darker grey, and then the dampened brown of reality. Without delay the adhiel lass slipped around the far side of the trunk, hoping to evade her pursuers with the simple deception. Overhead she could make out the shadowy tendrils of branches, one or two of which appeared within her reach if she chose.

Behind her there came a sudden crunch of boots on gravel, indicating her trackers had arrived. After a flicker of delay Alustariel heard two sets of feet move off in opposite directions, apparently following the path in either direction.
---------

With Ashtallion leading the way, figuratively at least, the small quartet of rescuers advanced steadily into the compound. Soon they heard the sounds of a commotion, and a few flashes of green phosphorescence lit up the fog. With another wrenching of the aether, Ashtallion was able to reveal one raider dressed in dark clothes assailing an adhiel priestess. Two other invaders lay motionless at their feet, pale green essence still dripping from one's mouth only to dissolve into the ground.

With a short cry the two guardsmen Lieutenant Ceallachan had brought along fell upon the raider, and the menace was felled upon the point of a glaive almost immediately. The priestess, a combination of sadness and exhaustion on her adhiel features, slumped as she let the green energy she controlled slip away.

"That way," she said after one glance at Ashtallion, her arm extended further into the fog. "Seek out the Oak and you will find her."
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

The magus watched the two adhiel soldiers kill the offender, not a flicker of emotion marring his flawless features, nothing was spared for someone seeking to harm his sister....another adhiel. Though the priestess was clearing near the point of total exhaustion, he had a feeling her goddess would take care of her.

" You have my thanks, Honoured Priestess. I have no doubt your efforts contribute to saving my sisters life. I will never forget such. ", he smiled at her, one that did indeed touch his eyes, however it was gone within a heart beat as he turned in the direction the elder adhiel had pointed. His sister could still be in danger and he was not one to take any risks. Still the sorcerer maintained a tight but controlled grasped on the heat energies, ready to weave them swiftly if need be. Right now his passion and anger were like the flames he desired to summon, yet like the sorcery, he was the one in control.

At this point he had forgotten the Lieutenant and the other soldiers and stopped for a moment to look over his shoulder to make sure they followed.
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Alu felt as though she should wrap her arms around the great tree in thanks. It had been in the right place at the right time .... though technically it had been there for a good few centuries. Alu heard her persuers moving away and suddenly felt somewhat at ease. She had evaded them, for the moment.

Alu thought of pursuing them, and perhaps striking them from the back as was their own tactic. But thought the better of it, the mist was thick, and who knew who else might be lurking in it.

Waiting for the men to move further off, Alustariel then reached for the first branch. She wasn't taking any chances, she wanted to be as hidden as possible should they return, perhaps ambush them when they did.

Shame on you, Alustariel ... she heard a voice echo inside her head ... Cowardice, sheer cowardice. The High Mother could be dying and you flee and hide like a scared child.

Alu shook her head, as if banishing the thought, but it hurt, having to run away.

Yet she knew that she stood no chance of survival in this mist with opponents unseen. Beyond that she knew that if she persisted, one day she'd have the same power that her brother held, and then she would have no more reason to flee, she might return here someday then ... and there would be one man she would return for, the man who, in her mind, started her pain ... Daithi.

But for now, she had to seek safety, and so tried to climb the Great Oak before her that seemed so welcoming. Thoughts of revenge could wait.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Ceallachan spoke a quick word to one of his guardsmen, assigning the soldier to guard the priestess, and then joined Ashtallion with the second in tow. Nodding to the sorcerer, the pair resumed their advance against the fog while the adhiel mage trailed behind, shredding the fog ahead of them as they went. With the priestess' guidance on direction their progress was quicker, though Ashtallion's stamina was feeling the effect of repeatedly unravelling the weave of fog while maintaining his own defenses and trying to hold a thin thread of fire in reserve. His ability to continue at this rate was limited.
-------------

Alustariel had one leg hooked over the lowest branch, and was reaching up with a hand for the next rung in the ladder, when a voice cut through the fog from very close. Peering through the thin screen of leaves at the lowest reaches of the great oak, the adhiel lass was able to make out a tall shadowy figure standing halfway between the bench and the tree.

"I wondered if there might be some deception here," came the voice, deep and powerful, but with a hint of respect for a worthy opponent as well. A step or two closer and Alustariel thought she spied a glint of silver at the neck of his cowl. "Now, you're not going to make me climb up there after you, are you? Save us both the trouble and come down quietly."
--------------

When the latest section of fog dissipated beneath Ashtallion's workings, a low shadow resolved ahead and just to the right. Beyond that a taller, less distinct shadow stood and the low reverberation of something...speech perhaps...floated through the air. Neither shadow seemed aware of the approach sorcerer and his Royal Guard support.
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

The strain of trying to control three seperate forms of energy was taking its toll on him, he had to drop the fire-weaving, for now the most important thing was unveiling his sister amongst all of this mist. The sorcerer let go of his tenuous grasp on the ruby red energies and lessened the power to his shield, reducing it do that it was barely an inch above his skin. Such would protect him from physical assualt, but not much against anything magical. That done, he focused on the fog, and attempted to undo the air and water energies, not more quickly, but at least more proficently.

It was then he noticed the shadows ahead of him and the deep resonating sound that could have possibly been the shadows talking. The magus thought one might be his sister and so he pushed the unravelling ahead to encompass them and reveal them to himself and the guards.
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Alustariel saw the man, but did not stop climbing. "Tsk. Tsk tsk" she taunted " Now, why would I wish to save you trouble and come down?" And she was glad she had tried to ascend it in the first place, she did not like the idea of standing around with that fellow lurking about.

She peered down at him and sneered "Who are you, that thinks himself so high and lofty ... like an Adhiel Lord, almost. Who are you that dares to kill and maim and preach that it is all in the name of the greater good. You are no better than a Firelord!" she cast her fear aside and laughed heartily, tendrils of her silver hair dancing about her face as she gazed down to the ground "Who are you that has come to take me? that degenerate Daithi? maybe covetous Cuhir? Or perhaps Aethelwulf Aisling come to finish what he bloodily started. Perhaps you are just some meddling aspirant amongst your pack of Wolves" she smiled and reached for the next branch higher.

"Come then, I have no intention of making this easy for you ... Daithi could not kill me. I am ready to take my chances with you". Despite knowing she was in over her head, Alu quite relished the thought that she might get the chance to boot this criminal in the face should he try to climb up after her.
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"Do not mock me with words of adhiel lords," the man spat back at Alustariel. "Their power is tainted by generations of abuse, by claims to rights no one should have above another. I'd rather be a Firelord than one of your revered leaders," he admitted venomously, "for at least they are honest as to where their hearts lie."

The shadowed hood tilted up slightly as Alustariel began hoisting herself aloft, and then the man reared back to throw a dimly glittering blade that suddenly appeared in his hand. "If you won't come voluntarily, then I must apologize for using force," he grunted, firing the dagger toward the adhiel lass with impressive force. The blade spun through the air and somehow filtered through the thin screen of leaves to flash in front of Alustariel's face, before mercifully lodging next to her left ear with a solid thunk in the oak's branch. The man below had advanced another step for a better angle and was already grasping a second blade for throwing.

But before he could launch the next dagger a slight breeze wafted around the tree, fluttering the leaves slightly before a flicker of misty rain plummeted to the ground. The fog was cleared in an area about the great oak and Alustariel could see the freshly soaked figure of her attacker distinctly. Behind him on the other side of the bench stood three figures, one sporting the distinctive bearing of her brother.
------------------

When the fog cleared around the shadowy figure Ashtallion could clearly make out the form of a man standing beneath a huge oak tree. His hand was reared back with a blade of some sort, but he was glancing back at the mage and his two companion soldiers in surprise, a glitter of silver flashing from the neck of his cowled cloak.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

The sorcerer almost started as he saw the man holding the knife as though he was about to throw it. The flash of silver meant little to him, however he natually jumped to the conclusion that this man was a member of the Brotherhood and so wasted no time.

Stepping in front of his two soldier companions, Ashtallion removed his senses from unravelling the fog and turned his focus on gathering threads of fire that he was familiar with. Instead of forming them into waves or balls of flame, the magus wove ropes of fire. His fingers, hands and arms moved in an intricate pattern, almost like a graceful, deadly dance.

" The fire is my strength, my strength I use to bind, my binding is strong as it is made of fire and fire is my strength, my strength I use to bind, my binding is strong as it is made of fire and fire is my.... ", he muttered the words, words used to focus his mind on what he sought to accomplish. The threads, woven into tight visable ropes of fire, wound themselves around the man holding the knife, yet Ashtallion placed them a few inches from the man skin so as not to burn him. Yet. " .....and with fire and breath, with each thud of my heart does my binding strengthen! ", his incantation continued until he was sure the fire-net would hold fast and secure. Should the Wolf made a wrong move, the mage was ready to snap the ropes around him, searing flesh and bone.
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Alustariel gasped as the first dagger thudded into the tree beside her ear. That was definately too close It was almost definately a warning shot, for somehow Alu got the feeling that he had intended to miss her. Though she felt vulnerable again she remembered that he wanted her alive for now and so she clung tighter to the tree to prevent herself from falling. She had just about worked up the courage to yell down to him to stall for more time when the leaves of the tree began to rustle and the mist began to clear. And there, looking both defiant and regal, was Ashtallion.

"Ashtallion!" Alu gasped. The silver-haired Adhiel could see that the stranger still had a dagger at the ready and was looking towards the newcomers in suprise. She wanted to call out to her brother but saw he had already started a weaving of magic ... and she did not want to disturb his casting. Instead, she took her opponents distraction as time to climb further into the tree and out of his view.

As she did she tried to catch another glimpse of her golden brother, so lordly and strong, they had not spent enought time together - she realised - if she had stayed by his side none of this would have happened. But she was ever so glad to see him again.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

OOC: Thanks for the patience, you two.
----------------------

Ashtallion's weaving was successful to a point - ropes of fire materialized from the air and coiled about the surprised form of the cloaked human, but while they encircled his form they did not coil as tightly as the sorcerer would have liked. It was as though another force was repelling the flames even as the adhiel mage sought to tighten the burning ropes. Little spurts of misty steam squirted from Ashtallion's fiery coils where they encroached too closely on the trapped man.

Apparently snared nonetheless, the human lowered his throwing arm and pivoted to face Ashtallion and the two royal guards. His dark eyes glittered beneath the cowl of his cloak and a slight grin split his shadowed features.

"How sweet," he chuckled darkly. "A rival party seeking the night's prize." The man made a show of inspecting the fiery bonds preventing his escape, and nodded appreciatively. "Nicely done," he complimented Ashtallion.

"What do we do now?" he asked the trio opposing him. "I suppose we could just wait for my companions to come back and skewer you, but you no doubt would have objections to that approach. I take it you have a counter-offer prepared?"
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

The spell was working at least, that much he had to be thankful for. Lowering his arms, he continued to feed in energy, a slow steady stream so as not to tire himself too quickly, there was something about this man that had him on edge. He complimented Ashtallion on the weaving, which nerved him even more...the human was far too complacent about his current sitution. Hopefully he was merely good a remaining calm and collected while trapped.

" A counter offer? ", Asht snorted. " No, there will be no offer. You tried to kill my sister... ", his golden eyes stole a quick glance up at Alu within the tree branches. " ....and failed in your attempt. Now, I intend to kill you. ", his face, while remaining coldl expressionless, betrayed a fury that ran deep. " No one seeks to bring my sister harm. No one. For that transgression I will sear the flesh from your bones... ", he spoke through gritted teeth now. Eyes hard with barely controlled anger.

The sorcerer rose both arms and they started their intricate arcane dance. Fire followed his motions, he drew in more and more heat, seeking to create a large gout of fire....he held back from releasing it though.

" Unless you have any reason to believe I should spare your life and hand you over to the soldiers? "
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

"Be careful, brother, he does have companions in the Temple. Two men followed me in here before him, though I gave them the slip. They may still be stalking the grounds" she said, pushing a few branches out of the way so her brother could see her. She gave him a quick smile, wide enough to show him that she was overjoyed to see him. It vanished quickly though, to leave him deal with the task at hand rather than comforting his sister. There would be a time and place for that.

Alustariel did not stir in the tree. Not out of fear, but because she could sense Ashtallion was about to face an extremely difficult decision. He had the power to kill this man, whoever he was, with good reason. This stranger was guilty of treason against the Queen, attempted murder of the High Priest of the Mother and of Alu herself and only the divine Mother knew how many folk he had slain. Should he live he would endanger more lives and for that Alu would not impede a death sentance.

She knew that ultimatum that he offered still damned the man. His choice was thus - die now or die later for the Guards would surely take him to the Courts and they would show no mercy for a slayer of the Kislovani.

Alu waited for the man to speak, to deal or die by Ashtallion's hand. The tension in the air felt thicker than the mist that had enveloped them a moment or so back.
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"Your sister? How delicious," the man grinned ferally. "Well, that explains your tenacity at least."

"And I commend you on your honesty," he continued, his tone not condescending or sarcastic at all. "At least you are an adhiel who doesn't shy away from the truth and will admit to your base urges. No better and no worse than we humans."

"That I can respect."

The man stayed quiet for a flicker or two, showing no fear despite the flaming bonds encircling him. Steam continued to spurt at odd intervals where the fire encroached too closely upon him.

"Kill me if you must, but that will only further galvanize the resistance to adhiel oppression. We are strong now, but just think what your actions could unleash upon the isle. There would be no turning back then, sorcerer."

The man's eyes glittered from within the shadows of his cowl, further highlighted by the flickering light of Ashtallion's flaming bonds. At his neck the silver brooch flashed in the firelight. "Make me a martyr, if you dare."
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion almost growled himself at the human's malicious smile. He wanted to flay the man alive with flame, the burning desire and anger in him flared brighter than any fire he could have conjured. Turning his golden eyes up to his sister once more, " I wouldn't worry, Alu. I cna take care of any others. ", it may have been a bold statement, but the wolf before him would have little idea of the sorcerers limitations. His sometimes unsettling gaze whisked back to the human, fixing on the man's own eyes with hard determination.

" I hate lies. Being honest has always served me well in the past and no doubt will do in the future. As to making you a martyr....do you think I care? ", his words were hissed through clenched teeth. " Do you think I care about this...uprising....you speak of? No matter how strong you think you are, it is you that has no idea what will happen to your people. I may not be the strongest sorcerer alive, yet, however even I could kill many of your people. Do you even realise how strong the Battllemage Royale is? He could lay waste to untold numbers of you without breaking a sweat. I have stood in his presence and felt the very air sizzle with power. So, unless you have a mighty Archmage in your ranks, depsite your possibly larger numbers, you will die. "

" Kislovan, while a beautiful land, is not my home. I did not grow up here. I may be a member of the nobility, but that mantle was thrust upon me. You talk of adhiel oppression? The Brotherhood of the Wolves and the Firelords...you are both the same. Both cowards. Both a group of self possessed idiots. Both murderers.

" I might be stooping to your own level of murder, by killing you. But. I. Just. Don't. Care. Anymore. "

The wizard brought the ropes of fire round into one single large ball of seething flame, right before the wolf brother, and sent it hurling at the mans chest. His arms flung outwards, directing the fireball with his will.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

The man continued to grin through Ashtallion's angry retort, although in retrospect there might have been something calculating in the smirk in addition to actual amusement. The man opened his mouth to point out the obvious weaknesses of all sorcerers but never got the chance to voice his opinion, for that was when Ashtallion chose to take the human up on his offer. Responding to the sorcerer's will, the fiery ropes withdrew from around the trapped vigilante and coalesced into a burning globe hovering a chest height before, with a symbolic thrust of his hands, Ashtallion sent the flaming sphere plowing into the cloaked human.

Or at least, he tried. Even with his control of fire, the golden-haired adhiel couldn't effect instantaneous changes. In the brief flickers the ropes retreated and the fireball launched the man was far from still. As soon as he felt his entrapment ease he flung himself toward the great oak in which Alustariel hid. The move was desperate, and the guardsmen accompanying Ashtallion could see a face striving for any hint of escape, illuminated in a mixture of flame and silver light from the brooch at his throat.

The fireball burst upon the diving man's form, creating a small explosion of fire and steam. The man's scream pierced through the gardens, although his actual fate was hidden behind a sudden haze of fog that sprung up around the tree. Through the thick mist Ashtallion and the royal guardsmen could see indistinct tongues of flame at ground level and in the lower levels of the oak's branches, as could Alustariel from her perch on high where the smell of burning sap drifted up to the adhiel lass.

From their right came the sound of booted feet, running toward the tree at top speed. The fog in the rest of the gardens was thinning, and several dark forms could be seen charging toward the adhiel rescuers.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Asht cursed loudly, gritting his teeth. The man had obviously been expecting the mage to act as he did, it was a testament to the humans reflexes that he moved so fast and evaded the full impact of the wizards fire. Flames started licking up the tree though and Asht cursed himself this time. Firstly though he had to deal with the charging shadows, he was tired from using so much sorcery, so he had to used something simple. Racking his brain, thinking on his feet. The magus pulled on air energy, a few thin strands of compressed air that would cleave as sharp as any blade. He wielded the bladed air as he would a Scythe and controlled the blade of air with his hand, with a flick of his wrist he sent it towards one of the shadows.

If his small weaving was effective, he would whip the blade around in an arc for the next target.
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Alu felt a surge of despair that could only be truly Adhiel in feeling. A great child of nature, the Oak, this magnificent tree that stood in the Temple ... was at risk of burning. But not only was the tree in danger, so was she. The smell of smoke made her nostrils sting and her eyes water. Alu was about to leap down from the tree when her keen ears detected the sound of boots approaching below. The Brotherhood was closing in.

She'd like nothing better than to aid her brother in the combat but with what? She did not have her effects? No staff with which to defend herself ... but she had her hands ... and, hopefully, the men did not know she was in the tree.

Alu decided to wait until she had a clear view of the battlefield, that way she could attack from behind with her martial skill, that was, if she could find a safe way down from the tree.

Watching on and waiting, Alu's eyes gleamed with pride as Ashtallion went to weave his magickal art once more.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

While Ashtallion devised a weaving to counter the onrushing enemies, the two guardsmen with him advanced to block the way with more physical means. Lieutenant Ceallachan stood ready with his short, curving sword held low while his companion twirled his glaive as a staff, the bladed head whistling through the air. Five men appeared more or less distinctly from the darkness, each armed and looking to avenge the injuries caused their leader, if their furious expressions were any indication.

In the branches of the great oak, Alustariel was able to see snatches of the approaching raiders, but her view was filtered by the intervening leaves and tendrils of sappy smoke. The dampness left by the unnatural fog still clung to many areas of the tree, and combined with its own divine robustness the flickers of flame on its lower branches were dying out. It seemed Alustariel was safe from burning to death, at least.

It took some time for Ashtallion to refocus on threads of air instead of fire and then to craft them to his liking, but once complete the invisible blade was very effective. On the near end of the charging insurgents, one of the men abruptly doubled over as though folding around a rope suddenly drawn taught in his way. There was a whoosh of breath and then a spray of blood, and the attacker was down.

The four others crashed upon the two guardsmen, who formed a bulwark of sorts to try and shield their sorcerous companion. Ceallachan downed one almost immediately, his blade striking like a viper, and his fellow soldier’s whirling glaive held his two opponents at bay while the combatants searched for an opening through which to strike. For his part, Ashtallion would have to exercise caution with his air blade, for though effective it was hardly something with which the adhiel had much practice.

Beneath her, somehow filtering through the din of renewed battles, Alustariel could hear the tortured groaning of a burned man, slowly moving beyond the bole of the great oak…
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion did not spare the concentration on a smile for his success with the air blade, it was a creative bit of weaving on his part, and one he would have to remember for the future. The mage took a few steps back, putting a bit of distance between himself and the remaining attackers. Though the soldiers were holding them at bay for now, he wanted the members of the brothehood dead so he could finish off the other one that survived his fireball.

The blade of air swung lazily in his vision behind the attackers, waiting to strike. He had to focus a fair bit on this manipulation, air not being something he had a terrible amout of experience with, but he was pleased with the results thus far. The wizard had to think quick, if he slashed with the air blade, there was a chance he would strike the adhiel soldiers being so close. Again, this required a bit of ingenuity.

He willed the strands of air to seperate, but not leave his control. He halved the threads into two coils, each again tightly bound together. Moving each coil of air, concentrating to make sure each one wasn't frayed or weak, he encircled two of the brotherhood attackers around the throat, the threads of air moving slowly and not touching the humans, until the last moment. Asht snapped the two coils tight, so eacah would contrict around the humans' throats. If successful, the mage gestured strongly, throwing each man back and pinning him to the ground by his throat.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

The two royal guards fended off the determined attacks of the three remaining attackers gamely. The lieutenant was up against a passable swordsman, and despite his own skill he was so far unable to dispatch the human raider. The glaive-wielding guard had exchanged minor cuts and blows with both his opponents, but no one had clearly gained the advantage.

Ashtallion refashioned his weave of air into two nooses, but it quickly became evident that positioning both accurately within the controlled chaos that was the melee would be nigh impossible for the golden-haired sorcerer. Ensuring at least one was carefully located about the head of a human attacker, Ashtallion then snapped the loop tight and dragged backward.

And without visible warning, one of the men facing the glaive-wielding guard reached up with his free hand in alarm, grasping at some unseen garrote about his neck. Reeling backward against the unknown assailant, the human stumbled three or four steps before tumbling backwards to the damp ground.

Both the adhiel guard and his remaining human attacker were stunned by the scene, but quickly resumed their hostilities with fervor. Ending the duel quickly would hopefully save them from some similar demonic attack.

And behind the Great Oak, pace by agonizing pace, the leader of the rebels continued to drag himself away from the sounds of battle...
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

He may not have got the two humans, but one would help at any rate and the sorcerer kept a firm grip of the mans throat with the circle of air, he thought of choking the human, cutting off his windpipe. However as angry as Ashtallion was at that moment, he did not want to torture these men, he wanted them dead, swiftly. Throwing his hand out towards the fallen human, he once more rewove his power, loosened the circle of air and straightend the threads.

This was becoming quite demanding, his energy was lowering fairly fast now so he had to end this skirmish quickly. The air energy he compressed, doing this as quickly as possible while maintaining control, the threads sharpened to the air blade and if successful he would swipe the blade across the humans throat, ending his life.

He would have to deal with the consequences afterwards. He had never killed a human before and now, within a short span of time, the wizard had killed one and now sought anothers death. All he wanted was to make Alustariel remained safe, and in a moment of clarity and honesty, he did not care whom he killed to make sure she stayed alive.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

The battle between the royal guards and the remaining raiders wore on while Ashtallion laboured to adjust and maintain his improvisational weavings. Behind the current battle the human squirmed in terror at the unseen noose about his throat, clawing at nothing with desperate fingers. And then suddenly the pressure was gone and he took three long, rasping gulps of air in delighted surprise, thanking the Sea Father for his benevolence.

But as he began to sit up, hand scrabbling for his sword, his progress was quite abruptly halted by the feel of a keen edge upon his throat. Tears welling in his eyes he began a plea for mercy, but his words were emphatically cut short by the sudden and vicious slice of Ashtallion's magical blade. The rebel slipped to the ground, gurgling blood and staining the grass with his life's essence.

About that time the glaive-wielding guard managed a solid rap upon the knee of his assailant and Ceallachan, taking advantage of a brief lull in his own duel, lashed out and downed the cloaked human with a lethal strike. The remaining insurgent returned to the fray gamely but was no match for the two guards, and within flickers the area around the Great Oak was silent again.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion stood still and solid for a few flickers, the realisation that the skirmish was over with now. He had just taken two human lives.....he moved forward and stepped over one of the dead bodies without so much as a second glance. He stopped at the base of the tree, looking up into the branches for his sister. " Alu, come down. Its safe now....the humans are dead. ", the wizard looked behind him to the Lieutenant.

" You have my deepest gratitude, lieutenant, if I have the opportunity to speak to your superior I will inform him of your aid and that of your men. You helped to save the life of Lady Alustariel, I know the Lord Advocate will be very pleased to know such. ", he smiled slightly and nodded his head at the adhiel soldiers before turning back, his eyes narrowing. The leader of this small band of Wolves was still alive, he was sure of it, the man had survived his initial fireball assualt, but he was not going to get away a second time with his life.

The mage looked around for him, raising a hand and willed a globe of light to appear before him. He was tired from the spell weaving, but he didn't think the light weaving would be much of an effort for him. Light energy would be sparse at this time of night, but from the silvery energy of moonlight, he hoped there wouldn't be a problem.

Return to “Kislovan Archive”