Troth: Running late: Lori (Samheen 29th late MT)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Troth: Running late: Lori (Samheen 29th late MT)

Post by Guest »

The heavy canvas sack bumped painfully against Lori's legs as she bustled along the street, out of breath and puffing. She had spent far longer than she had meant to at the Trade Hall that morningtide, as per usual. The frantic mingling of noises, colours and scents intrigued and excited her, and she relished the chance to get out of the cold and into the relative warmth of the Trade Hall tent.

So I got a few more things than I was asked to buy, so what she thought, shifting the bulky bag onto her other shoulder and trying to quicken her pace. They'll thank me for it later...you can never have too well-stocked a kitchen, and that garlic and rosemary was just too tempting to resist...and all those spices come to that.

She passed the Melkorka tents, where there was a distinct smell of lunch being prepared. The midday meal for the children of the Margeir clan was largely contained in the bag on her back. Grimacing, she forced herself to move at a brisk trot if I don't get back soon it'll be me for lunch! she thought. As the Margeir settlement came into view, she hoped her absence hadn't been noted by too many of the clan.
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

Lori's hopes of going unnoticed seemed to be coming to fruition lasted all down the street and until she entered the trade tent of the Margeir clan. Well known for all of their skill with the healing arts, it was not well known for the stern taskmistress it had as a clan leader.

In stark contrast to the largely gentle population of healers that the Margeir clan produced, Eirrin Margeir was a rather stern taskmistress. She was well known within the clan as being demanding and rather unyielding. She sat on the Council of the Kona, and was well respected and often listened to by that esteemed leader. It was said that the Kona sought Eirrin's ear on many occasions.

As Lori entered the tent, it was Eirrin's eyes that first met hers. Feeding the children was a priority, and Lori's tardiness had little hope of going unnoticed by the rigid Clan leader. She might have been able to get by all the others that were waiting to prepare the mid-day meal, but she might never be able to get past the observant leader of the clan.

The others greeted her warmly, and helped her unpack and prepare the food. Eirrin merely walked past and whispered into Lori's ear.

"When all are fed, you will come see me."

The clan leader spoke no words of punishment or rebuke, yet her icy tone was as cold as the winds outside, and had it's own peculiar type of menace and threat.

Post by Guest »

Lori approached the tent at a jog, and burst in out of breath. She was hit by the warmth of the fires which had already been stoked in preparation for the lunchtime meal, and quickly she felt her cheeks begin to flush rosily with the heat. There seemed to be an unusual hush in the tent, and, dumping the heavy sack somewhat unceremoniously on the ground, and looking up, Lori realised why. Her gaze met that of the clan leader Eirrin, and she did not look impressed. Oh great, Lori thought this is just my luck. She decided not to say anything, realising it might only make things worse, instead she bowed her head respectfully to the clan leader, and moved past her with as much dignity as she could.

Walking to greet the other slaves, Lori bent down to begin unpacking her wares and to lay them out in front of her, ready for preparation. Straightening up, she heard Eirren's command hissed icily into her ear as she stalked past.

Lori flushed deep crimson with embarrassment and shame and felt sweat prickling out on the palms of her hands. She hated being in trouble....and she'd only been trying to help. At least she knew the children of the clan would appreciate the new ingredients, even if their appreciation only stretched to a louder chorus of "Mmm...yummy" with the occasional "thank you".

Watching the elegant back of Eirrin disappear from the Trade tent, she grimaced at the others, hoping for some sympathy, and began chopping, dicing and seasoning. The cooking cheered her up somewhat, and soon enough there was a thick aromatic stew bubbling away in the large pot in front of her.

As she served each of the children in turn, she had a smile and a kind word for each of them, but her mind was elsewhere. Agitatedly, she wondered what Eirrin would say to her. Would she be punished?

After all the children had been served and were contentedly slurping their stew, Lori washed her hands, wiped the sweat from her shining face with her apron and went in search of the clan leader.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The children were grateful and boisterous. They each sang a chorus of thanks and soon, like all children do, their attention quickly wandered, leaving only the task of cleaning up. Some of the children even volunteered to help, making it go by that much faster.

Eirrin Margeir was not difficult to find. She was showing a novice how to properly wrap a poultice in place, and when she was finished, her eyes found Lori's and nodded. She finished with the novice and bade her to keep practicing. She then motioned for Lori to approach as she sent the other away.

"Now then. Rosa has been informing me of your progress and I couldn't help but notice that you seemed to be coming in late for our mid-day meal. Rosa speaks highly of you and despite your heritage, something has come up that made me think you might be suitable to do. Tell me girl, do you spook easily?"

Post by Guest »

Upon entering the tent, Lori's eyes were immediately drawn to the novice and her work. She began trying to deconstruct the different components of the poultice in her mind: she could definitely smell lavender, and there was something else she recognised but couldn't put a name to. Having received no teaching in the arts of healing, Lori's limited knowledge of medicinal herbs came from spying or eavesdropping on the healers as she went about her daily chores, and so it was often the case that she knew the herbs by sight but not by name.

She craned her neck forwards to peer more closely at what the girl was doing, and then caught Eirrin looking at her and straightened up quickly, embarrassed.

As Lori approached the clan leader, she had an elaborate explanation about her lateness all prepared and was running it through in her head at top speed. After Eirrin finished speaking it took the young slave a while to realise that she wasn't in fact being asked for an apology...nor did it seem she was in trouble. She gaped stupidly for a few seconds before gabbling "No Eirrin, I mean Ma'am, I mean...." she sighed and tried again, "no, I don't scare easily" except when it's dark, or there are strange noises...or big bugs she thought wryly c'mon Lori focus "and I'd be happy to do any task you might ask of me". Looking up at Eirrin, Lori chanced a smile, hoping to get one in return.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Perhaps it wasn't a smile she received in return but it was something a bit softer from the Clan leader. It was an expression of begrudging respect.

Good to see this fearful little thing is so eager to prove her worth... Was the thought in Eirrin's mind.

"Good. I want you to seek something out for me. It is a talisman. It is very sentimental to me and although it is worthless in monetary value, it is a trinket that is valuable to me. I fear I do not have the time to retrieve it myself, but as it seems you have more than enough time to dawdle about in pot shops and the like, you will retrieve it for me."

It was not the tone of a request, it was a command, given from master to slave.

"Seek out Alvyn, the furrier. He shall be awaiting you and shall give you what you shall need. Now go."

Eirrin's face resembled cold, hard stone as she issued her command.

Post by Guest »

There was a distinct finality in the tone of Eirrin's voice as she gave Lori her instructions, it seemed abundantly clear that in her eyes, this brief meeting was over. Lori's mind, however, was full of questions. Some of these she chose, perhaps unwisely, to voice aloud.

"A talisman? What form does it take? Does it possess any power?" The excitement in her voice was obvious, and her questions came staccato and fast. Suddenly she remembered to whom she was speaking and trailed off into silence, hanging her head slightly. In her head, the questions kept coming why does she need it so suddenly? is it really of only sentimental value? and why is it important that I'm not afraid? this last question rang ominously loudly in her head...she wondered what she was letting herself in for.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

"Alvyn... The furrier. Go."

Room for argument or discussion, or even the well reasoned questions in Lori's mind were simply quelled by the awful finality in Eirrin's tone. The clan leader gave Lori a sidelong glance, practically daring the young woman to utter another word.

Yet the woman's thoughts betrayed her. Inside the cold, icy shell lurked something else altogether. The sidelong glance was accompanied by silent pain.

It's a thing of great beauty. It was given to me by someone important to us both, and until you show me something, some fire or spark within you like the one who gave it to me, I will keep that secret from you for many yahren to come... Now go! Please!

Post by Guest »

The flash of raw emotion in Eirrin's eyes told Lori it was time to go. There was something more than just exasperation in that glance, what was it? Fear? Pain? Grief? None of these options filled Lori with a great sense of optimism for her task ahead. She hoped Alvyn would be able to give her some more detailed information.

She bowed her head to the clan leader, "I'll do my best for you Ma'am" she said softly, before backing quickly out of the tent and into the cold outside in search of the furrier.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Alvyn the furrier was an odd little man that smelled.

The oils and potions he used to separate fur from bone gave him a weird, nauseating smell, and the odd assortment of bones and skulls caused many to stay away as well. The people of Trothgard were a hardy folk, able to cope with extremes in weather and extremes in people equally, but there was something oddly unsettling about this wiry, weasel of a man that caused many to stay away.

His tent was strewn about with scraps and pelts, and great cooking cauldrons of gristle and bone bubbled and boiled outside. When Lori found him, he was using a sharp knife to remove the blubber from a seal in a great bloody pool on the ice near his tent.

"Lori." He said in his odd, nasally tone. "Mother Eirrin told me you might be stopping by. I have something for you."

He scratched the side of his nose, leaving a great bloody smear on the side of his face which he seemed not to notice.

"Come inside. I'll show you." He dropped the seal in the gory puddle, the wet smack of the dead flesh sounding loudly as he set off inside his tent. The flap swept open, a silent invitation to go inside.

Post by Guest »

It hadn't taken long for Lori to track down Alvyn. As she neared his tent the chill wind took on a sickly, rotting tinge which seemed to leave a nasty greasy feeling at the back of her throat and intensified as she got closer.

Ever since she was little she had tried to avoid the furrier's tent. It wasn't so much the gore or the smell that bothered her - thankfully she had quite a strong stomach - but rather that the strange little man seemed to arrange the leftover skulls and bones with such pride. The gaping eyesockets which hung like grotesque mobiles around the tent used to give her nightmares as a youngster, and still made her shudder as she approached the tent and its skeletal trophies.

He was engrossed in his work as she arrived, his hands slick with seal blood. She called out to him to get his attention and he looked up with what may or may not have been a smile.

As she followed him into the tent, fighting the urge to hold her nose so as not to appear rude she wondered what on earth it was he had that would be of use to her.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Inside the relative warmth of the furrier's tent was the ramshackle effects of the man's life. Furs of all kinds were hung and draped all over the inside of the tent, and several braziers dried the curing flesh for use. There was also a bed of furs, added almost as an afterthought, and several small personal items strewn about.

The wiry little man scratched his patchy beard and wiped his bloody hands on a scrap of cloth before he began to rummage about to look for whatever it was he was supposed to give to her. he overturned several jars and bottles, a dusty blanket and a wooden chest before he found it.

Whatever it was wrapped in a scrap of skin and fur about the size of a handkerchief. He presented it to Lori proudly with a beaming smile of crooked teeth.

When she unwrapped it, it was something quite beautiful looking and rare. Lori had made many trips to the Merchant tents and had never seen anything like this anywhere in the Rimmerhold settlements, or indeed beyond.

It was a spider carved from the delicate looking crystal that Trothgardian's treasured. It's eight legs like slender daggers and it's crystalline body shown in the light of the warm glow of the braziers. It glowed with a strange, eerie violet glow and the furrier chuckled as she examined it.

Post by Guest »

Once inside, Lori looked briefly at her surroundings, scouting out any skulls so as not to be taken by surprise by a confrontation with a leering, long dead creature. She was pleasantly surprised to find how homely the place was, if a little odorous.

Perching on a small stool, Lori unwrapped the small package the furrier gave her. As the shining object fell into her cupped hands she gasped. Trothgardian crystal was a thing of great beauty which inspired a sense of almost religious awe among the people, and especially among the slaves, for whom it was rare to see it, let alone touch it. She held it up to her face to get a closer look, enjoying the play of the firelight on its smooth surface.

But wait.....that odd purplish tinge wasn't caused by the flickering firelight was it? With a jolt, Lori realised that the strange light was coming from the crystal itself. While that only served to increase its beauty, Lori suddenly felt a wave of something like foreboding wash over her. The furrier's slightly eerie chuckle compounded this, and, despite the heat of the brazier, Lori shivered.

"Alvyn, it's beautiful" she breathed, "where did you get it?"
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

"Mother Eirrin."

He replied somewhat curtly. It wasn't that he was angry or rude, it was simply his way. She asked a question and in his mind, he had answered it.

As she turned it in her hands, the violet glow grew brighter and more intense. Lori could see ripples as if the figurine were full of water growing and moving inside. They danced in the dim light of the tent and Lori could almost feel the carved figure yearning to be outside in the light.

"Cover it girl." Alvyn instructed sharply without further explanation.

He looked on and waited for her to follow his urging. Expectantly he stared at her.

Post by Guest »

The unearthly colour of the crystal was impossible to ignore now. Lori couldn't take her eyes off it, its beauty seemed to be pulling her gaze towards it, and she was almost powerless to resist. She thought she could feel a heat from within the object in her hands, to feel it twitch slightly of its own accord...or perhaps it was her own hands that were shaking, she couldn't be sure.

The furrier's command cut through her reverie, and with an effort she tore her gaze from the strange glow and wrapped the crystal spider back in the skins. But the rippling violet lights she'd glimpsed inside it still danced drunkenly in front of the girl's eyes and she shook her head slightly clumsily trying to blink them away.

Whatever it was she was holding evidently possessed a power of some sort. The young slave had never encountered anything remotely like it before. "Mother Eirrin gave this to you?" this couldn't be what she sent me to "retrieve"...could it? I thought I'd have to look harder "I....I'm not sure I understand" she said.

Seeing that she had done as he asked, the wiry little furrier had turned his back on her, and seemed to be about to resume his work....evidently he thought his work with her was done. She moved across the tent to his side and tapped him lightly on the shoulder.

"Umm...Alvyn...I know you're a very busy man..." her eyes alighted on what looked horribly like a small piece of blubber caught in his beard, she swallowed her disgust and continued, "but did Mother Eirrin say anything to you about it?...If you know anything more about this....thing...where it comes from....what it does...anything... then I'd be really really grateful if you could share it with me...."
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The odd little man looked at her oddly. He reached up to his collar and displayed his slave mark.

"Wasn't in a position to ask, if you catch my drift."

He straightened his clothing and continued.

"She had brought that thing to me a few months ago. Summertime. I remember because it was in a bucket of water and covered. She told me to hold it for her and she would let me know when the time was right to give it back to her. Truth be told, I forgot all about it for a long time. Recalled it when I needed the bucket. I took it out, dried it off and wrapped it up a few weeks back. Didn't pay any attention to it until she came around this morning, and told me to give it to you when you came by. That's it. That's the whole story."

Post by Guest »

Lori blushed as he showed her his slave tattoo, and instinctively she raised a hand to touch her own mark. She sometimes forgot the roles of the people in the clan, and tended to assume that all were above her in status unless outrightly told otherwise.....she seemed to get into less trouble that way.

The furrier's words did little to help with her confusion, if anything she now had even more questions she wanted answering. As he finished his speech she felt a flurry of butterflies in her stomach.

So it's not just a matter of chance that I was sent to fetch this she thought Mother Eirrin wanted me to find it for her....but why? and what on earth is it?!

She realised she'd been silent for several flickers, and could feel the furrier's eyes on her. "Thank you, Alvyn, you've been most helpful," she said somewhat distractedly. "I'll let you get on with your work now", with a smile, she turned to leave, the spider clutched tightly in her hand.

She knew that she should bring it straight back to Mother Eirrin, that she had only been commanded to "retrieve" it for her....but now her curiosity was far too strong. She'd had a glimpse of its beauty, of its power...Mother Eirrin was unlikely to have the time or the inclination to answer an inquisitive slave girl's questions and she wanted to know more.

"it was in a bucket of water and covered"

"Right" she said to herself "let's see what this thing can do." She set off towards the river with brisk, determined strides, hoping not to be stopped and questioned by anyone.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Crusty ice cracked and broke under her feet as she approached the river. Here in the autumn, snows had encroached on the banks of the wide swath of water, but the middle still ran swift and deep. Too deep to freeze yet.

Out in the light, the crystal spider looked almost alive. It sparkled and shone and not once, but twice, did it seem as if the thing moved in her hand.

When it was placed in the water, there was no sudden jerk of the figurine coming to life. It did not jump in her hand at the caress of the cold river. But despite this, there was some change in the thing to be seen. The watery substance inside seemed to react to the water and the violet color grew subdued and dim. Lines, like clotting blood, began to appear all over the surface of the figure, and after the span of a dozen heartbeats, every surface of the figure appeared as a thin web had formed on the the figurine's 'skin'. The web was distinct and clear on the back and legs, but seemed more cloudy and thicker on the underside. The spidery lines underneath were forming an image, lines danced and grew for several more heartbeats before Lori began to recognize what it was depicting. The lines stretched, forming familiar patterns.

It was the well known outline of a peninsula. It was a map.

Post by Guest »

The water was almost unbearably cold. Lori thought what an odd little figure she must look to anyone passing, out at the edge of the ice, on her hands and knees, cupped hands plunged into the river, staring fixedely at the running water.

She wasn't sure what she'd been expecting as she placed the spider in the water, but it had been something instantaneous and spectacular. Perhaps the spider would come alive...or maybe it would have the power to freeze over the river.....although that would leave her hands trapped beneath the ice....not such a good idea...no. In fact, she decided, she was very glad that nothing so dramatic occured.

Although, for the first few flickers nothing seemed to be happening. She sighed, and was on the point of withdrawing her freezing hands when she noticed the lines begin to appear across the back of the crystal. She shifted her position so she was lying on her stomach, with her nose practically touching the water, so she could get a better look at what was happening under the water.

The lines on the underside began to form a shape she knew.....with a shock she realised what this was. A map she thought excitedely but what does it lead to? She squinted at the shifting lines on the figure, but the rushing of the water blurred the outline. She took the spider out of the water to get a better look...but the image faded almost immediately. She sighed in frustration and wiggled backwards off the ice onto the softer snow at the edge of the river in search of a stick, or sharp stone of some kind.

Having found a thick, strong twig with a ragged point, she returned to the river, plunged the spider back under the water, and waited for the map to appear. She committed sections of it to memory, before scrambling back onto the snow and quickly sketching what she had seen with the point of the stick before it faded from her mind. It took four or five trips in all, but soon enough she had a copy of the map on a much larger scale sketched crudely at her feet in the snow, the peninsula itself in thick, deep etchings, with the thinner lines of the web she had seen traced more finely over the top. She was out of breath by the time she'd finished, and she stood back to survey her handiwork.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Snow wasn't the best of mediums to draw maps in, and Lori's work was crude and rough. Despite this, it gave her a image to work from and a general idea of what the map was depicting.

The edges of the peninsula were well defined and easy and familiar. The area around Rimmerhold was distinct as well, as were several of the temporary mining camps as well as the more permanent camp at Grimkell. Further into the Ice Plains to the north and west was a large indication that something was there and was without any sort of identification. It was here that the map was pointing to, but it was unclear of exactly what the location was, or even what could be found there.

It was no where near the Valley of the Hippogryphs, or where the Ice Queen's palace was reported to be. In fact, it wasn't near anything known or mapped by the hardy people of Trothgard. It was out in the middle of nowhere, leaving Lori with a mystery nearly as obscure as when Eirrin had placed her upon this path.

Post by Guest »

Lori slumped in the snow to think.

Never in her life had she heard tell of anything situated so far north west, and she had always assumed it to be nothing more than an icy wasteland. The indication on her fuzzy snow map was hazy and indistinct....but there was definitely something out there.

The curious young slave could feel that familiar determined look spread across her face. She wanted to know what was out there...and not just to be told about it from brave adventurers in her clan, or through the whisperings of the slaves in others...no...she wanted to investigate it herself. But how? Going out there alone would almost certainly be suicide...she would need a companion...not to mention a sled with dogs and provisions.

Briefly she considered stealing what she would need, but a frown darkened her brown eyes and she quickly dismissed the idea. She was not a thief, and certainly had no intention of starting down that dishonest path. There seemed to be only one thing for it: she would have to go to Mother Eirrin and ask permission to go on this strange quest.

She almost laughed at how ridiculous her request would seem, and could imagine the stony look on the clan leader's face. But then again said a little voice in her head she chose you to find the talisman, she must have had her reasons.

"It's worth a shot" said Lori aloud, standing up and brushing herself off.

She kicked fresh snow over her crude little map, pocketed the crystal spider and set off towards the Margeir settlement once more.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The ice cracked and broke beneath her feet once more as Lori made her way back to Eirrin's tents.

She found the Clan leader engaged in a spirited wrestling contest with one of her bodyguards, and was slightly winded as they broke at Lori's approach. It was a regular thing for clan leaders to spar against their warrior counterparts. It was a sign of virility and life, and most of the clan's leaders engaged in it from time to time. Even the Kona herself had been known to practice against the finest warriors from all the clans. The Kona was a warrior title, and must be prepared to lead the clans against any invasion. It was not a shocking thing, and Lori was not surprised by it all whatsoever.

Leader Eirrin was a shrewd judge of character and the perceptive sort so she knew in an instant that Lori had seen something that would lead her back here in a such a hasty way. It did not take the wisdom of the Gods to deduce that this little slave girl had seen the spider, and the map by now. The stony faced woman smiled inwardly. It seemed her plan was working well thus far.

"Leave us." She told her bodyguards. Once they were alone, the leader looked at her expectantly.

"So then girl. What have you found?"

Post by Guest »

OOC: Apparently am not as busy RL as I thought I was going to be :)

IC: Lori watched the leader's lithe movements as she wrestled, impressed at the muscle tone and sinew on Mother Eirrins seemingly slender frame. After a burn or so the stocky bodyguard departed, leaving Lori alone with her Mistress.

She took the spider from the pocket of her cloak and offered it to the clan leader.

"It's a map," she said bluntly. No point in beating about the bush...she must know I'd have wanted to investigate this thing she thought, but could nevertheless feel a slightly guilty blush beginning to bloom on her face.

"It points to somewhere far out to the North West and I've never heard anyone talk of a settlement-or-a-temporary-camp-or-or-anything -out-there-before-and-I'd-really-love-to-know-what's-out-there..." Her words came out in a stuttering rush, an overexcited babble. She'd wanted to show the stern clan leader how much she wanted to discover more about the mysterious map, and now she cursed inwardly at having sounded so childish and inexperienced.

"That is...I mean..." she stopped and sighed. "Mother Eirrin I find this all very intriguing. I know that you asked me only to bring this talisman back to you...and...and I'm very sorry that I went to the river before coming here to you," she dropped her eyes and continued while staring at the floor "it's just that now I've seen the map I feel...." she searched for the right words "...connected to it somehow. I have so many questions that I want to find answers to...it seems wrong for me to simply return it to you and go about my chores as if nothing has happened. Again...I am sorry."

Her large, dark eyes met those of the clan leader as she finished. This respected and wise woman was almost as much of a mystery to Lori as the strange talisman and the young slave always felt slightly off balance during the infrequent times their paths crossed. She was never sure what reaction she would get. Right now she was praying not to be reprimanded and sent on her way.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

"Of course its a map." Eirrin snapped quickly. "And put it away before you show it to the whole clan."

The Elder looked around suspiciously to see if anyone was watching.

"Now then. I chose you for this because of your background. You know our ways, you know what we hold sacred, but you are... removed from us. You have distance, and perspective..."

It was almost a caring statement, that started off with a twinge of sympathy and warmth. Empathy crept into the Clan Leader's voice for just a flicker before she slammed that door shut.

"...but you are expendable. And beyond Rosa, few would miss you."

The woman swallowed, trying very hard to maintain her icy composure.

"Now then. The next step is to show you where I found it. Prepare yourself. You will need three days of supplies, food and warm clothing. You will not take any sleds, or deprive this clan in any way with your leaving. Come back here later, after nightfall and I shall tell you everything you need to know to get there."

"Until then. Not a word to anyone. Now go!"

Post by Guest »

Despite the involuntary shiver that the word "expendable" sent skittering down her spine, Lori felt a great warmth spreading through her at the thought of being useful to the clan. Mother Eirrin had almost sounded proud of her. She sensed that there would be time for questions later, and simply nodded in response to the clan leader.

"Thank you Mother Eirrin. Until later".

Bubbling with excitement, she returned to her sleeping quarters to ready her things. It was still a few marks until the evening meal, and the other slaves would more than likely be busy with other chores. She went swiftly to the kitchens, taking only enough to make the meagrest of meals so as not to draw attention to the missing supplies.

Soon she was packed and ready to go. All she had to do now was wait for night to fall over the icy land. It seemed to take forever.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Trothgard Archive”