PI: Aveas Portal (Samheen 29th, entrance)

Moderators: Ashari, Mods

Reise Silverskye
Adventurer

Post by Reise Silverskye »

Reise nodded politely to Bartran, but made no other greeting. She was only paying half attention to his words, as well as to the reply that Rhoddin made. Instead, her attention was elsewhere. There were far too many people in the room, far too many conversations going on at once for her to catch much of any use, but it didn't take long for her eyes to fall on the two men that Rhoddin was even now mentioning.

In the dimness, it was hard to tell how far away the pair was from them, but she quickly decided that if there was any information of use to be had in the room, those two were likely candidates to have it. She concentrated on them, her ears straining to see if she could hear what they were talking about, though she made an effort not to look too conspicuous about it.

And if they could indeed "walk past," that would only make things easier.
"Oh look... my tax dollars at work, coming to arrest me." [i]National Treasure: The Book of Secrets[/i]
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena had smelled putrid flesh, so the stench that assaulted her when stepping from the portal didn't make her reel back, though her stomach turned suddenly. The trip had not been easy on her. She was careful not to show just how affected by the smell she was, her hands remaining calmly by her side.

It took a moment for the words from in front of her to register in her mind, though they made no sense. Why would a bird send someone to meet someone from a portal? What in the name of the Mother? Then, a man was approaching her.

Her brow raised at his words. Work at a tavern? Was he mad? "I came from Pax Balthasar to work as a healer, not a tavern wench, sir," she said calmly, though her eyes flashed ever so slightly. The words, looks and her unsettled stomach made her slightly irritable.
[i]Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.[/i]
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

[size=75]Avatar by Lena[/size]
Sweeney
Civus

Post by Sweeney »

[OOC: arriving from here. ]

...somewhere else. A muddy, baldheaded half-giant stumbled through the portal along with a rag-tag stream of other "pagans." Sweeney
stood a few flickers, disoriented and blinking, before regaining his composure. So this is their war, he thought. I wonder where we are. He straightened himself, hefted his newly-acquired mace and shield and followed the line of other "recruits" to find out what their orders would be.
Last edited by Sweeney on Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Apeneck Sweeney spreads his knees / Letting his arms hang down to laugh
The zebra stripes along his jaw / Swelling to maculate giraffe.'
--T.S. Eliot

Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

"Sir Brytan?"

Brytan was about to comment on that but muffled his remark when he got what Rhoddin was going for. Rather than speaking he nodded and extended his hand in greeting towards Bartran as if greeting an equal, a knight...like him?

"Indeed, an inn seems much better than this dreery...surrounding."

Actually Brytan prefered the shadow, but an inn would provide them with the needed information and from there they would be able to work further. "Lead on."
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Oh, it would be nice to have one available for your inspection, certainly," replied Maglio easily. "But unfortunately, I don't have one here just now. We have an Air Frigate available...and a few smaller launches...but they're all on station, watching the advance of the Oneist army. You know...Father Rathe has already marched, and the Condotierre are watching closely," he replied. By this, Ignazio could immediately determine that whichever Air Frigate was present had not been given orders to assist the Oneist army...which was very telling, and very typical of the problems they faced here in Aveas.

"And I'm afraid there isn't any unit structure for me to offer you. I am the sole commander of the Aveas garrison, including all forces issued to reinforce my position...but the Oneist armies do not recognize any authority I might have. I have a large host of mercenaries...detachments from two legions, including your own...and a collection of private guards hired by interested families back in World's Mouth. Hopefully, it will be enough."

Rhoddin, Reise, and Brytan didn't have any trouble hearing the Governor's words as he moved passed, for he took no effort to hide them. In moments, they had moved through and beyond the crowded gate room and out to the Square beyond...moving to url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=13431]the local inn[/url] after Bartran.

Elsewhere...

"A healer? Oh, dear...most of the healers we had marched with the Oneists a mark ago. That leaves you, I'm afraid. I can direct you to the Orlop...ah...to our hospice, but I don't think anyone is left within just now," replied the functionary as he lead Gaelena forward a few paces. "Who hired you, if I could ask? Or...were you sent by anyone? It might be wisest if I took you to meet the Governor...if you are to be paid, of course."

Just behind Gaelena, the portal blinked to life once again and a massive creature stepped out armed with board and mace. All at once several paladins drew their swords and stepped forward, inspecting Sweeney with innocent interest (even though their drawn swords depicted otherwise). Another functionary approached, passing Gaelena and her interrogator.

"Ah..welcome to Pan's Isle," asked the new clerk, speaking to Sweeney. "Ah...from where have you come?" he asked, though Sweeney could tell if the clerk's stuttering were natural or simply a nervous reaction to an eight foot warrior.
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

He was lead here by the councilor upon his consent to join at the wage instructed upon him. He had left his advance earnings behind, but that didn't bother him. Money was a tool. Experience was far more valuable. Spitting at the politician's money was his gesture of a past life. He smiled when the slivers of deeds done in freedom came to him.

Mules, donkeys, orcs, dwarves, and men like him. They all walked in one line of ragtag throngs going through a mechanism of steel, iron, rusted surfaces, and the familiar stench of magic. Reiker looked about him and stopped himself from smiling. He was among the people he was meant to be. Killers.

It was a casual stroll, his entry through the gate. The passage in between though was inhuman, alien. He felt his stomach lurch as his mind dizzied at the images he saw. His eyes sent confused, blurred, and distorted figures of a colors he didn't know how to describe and dimension he didn't find logical. He felt his his lunch slowly crawl up to his throat but held it back. He looked down upon his own body from the pain his brain felt and that increased the migraine some more. He saw not his body, but rather an illogical distortion of what used to be his body.

He widened his eyes and shook within. His grip upon his blade tightened, but even his feeling was just as tainted. He thought he felt his blade but soon the feeling was replaced by an oozing like texture of strange gel. In utter defeat he tried his best to do what thought to be the semblance of a straight stand and closed his eyes. The darkness was a blessing. The colors beyond the walls of his eyelids were bright, but they did not seep through here. Here his mind was eased, despite the distortion his sense of touch was ailing from.

He shot through the portal like stone from a sling shot, landing with one big splash. He felt the familiar physics of what the real world was and acted as he would always act. He crouched his legs as the familiar force of falling reached him, and braced himself for the water that splashed.

Several were discomforted from his arrival, a rather queer arrival, but that was how his body felt like and reacted to the portal. It felt like hours, the journey he took in between, but that was fine. He felt his lunch rise up, but finally he could steady it in familiar ground. He welcomed the stench, the easily explainable and comprehensible stench, and the logical figures that appeared before him. He saw stone walls that looked like stone walls, and he saw his body and felt his blade that looked and felt like they should be.

He walked off towards the general flow of those he passed through with and kept his eyes straight blank. He didn't look at anything or noticed anything. He just kept walking.
[url=http://world4.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=47124424]click me please[/url]
[url=http://www.knightfight.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=63002342]Knights Game[/url]
Sweeney
Civus

Post by Sweeney »

After all the trouble the Purificatio had gone to in rounding up pagan "volunteers" and shipping them here, it rather surprised Sweeney that no one on this side of the portal seemed prepared for their arrival. He found himself facing drawn swords and a stuttering clerk. It crossed his mind that he could perhaps walk away from this war. Then he remembered that he had no idea where he was and no possessions but the clothes on his back. He would remain a soldier... for now.

"We from World's Mouth," the half-giant grumbled at the little bureaucrat. "Purificatio send us here to fight for you." He looked pointedly at some of the drawn swords. "We on your side. What you want us to do?"

While he waited for the official to respond, Sweeney surveyed the others who'd arrived through the portal with him. Mostly he saw the same faces that had surrounded him back at the Arsenale, the desperate faces of unfortunates who, like him, had had their lives snatched away from them and replaced with a weapon and some marching orders. He was surprised to notice a few humans in the crowd as well. A little in front of Sweeney, a tall, red-haired girl, clearly out out of place among the throngs of thugs and soldiers, seemed to be having an argument with her own functionary. A few paces behind him, a strapping but queasy-looking youth stumbled out of the portal looking a bit like someone who'd been eating toadstool soup. Overall, it was as motley a collection of beings as one could hope to find in Tazlure, a fact Sweeney found oddly comforting. It reminded him of his circus days before everything had gone sour.
--T.S. Eliot

Post by Guest »

Ignazio sighed softly; indeed, there appeared to be dissention and disorganisation everywhere. A conundrum if there ever was one. He was momentarily distracted by the huge man - if it was a man, no sure thing given his stature - but returned his gaze to Maglio quickly.

"Inspection of the fortifications will be done on foot then; I will start shortly, but I still have a few questions first. The Onesists are assumed to be lost until further notice then I suppose; the legion detachments, I presume, are loyal enough? As for the mercenaries, how are they responding to your authority?" Mercenaries were fickle, but so long as they were being well-paid and kept busy Ignazio could see little problem there. A problem he could see was with the private guards.

"As for the private guards, under what circumstances have they been provided? You mention they were hired by 'interested families'; families who have economic or personal interests here in Aveas, or Pan's Isle in general?" Ignazio could see problems where the guards were given orders by their benefactors to protect certain things which ran contrary to defence of the town and Maglio's orders.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena wanted to blink in surprise. She had stepped into the Oneists camp? Oh gracious. That was not good. Well, she could fake it if she had to. Not that she wanted to, of course. This must be what the Land wanted of her, in any way.

"I received an anonymous request to come," she lied, her eyes opening wide to give her an innocent look. "I do not know who sent for me. Perhaps I should speak with your governor. Maybe he might find another place for me." She allowed herself to be led away from the portal and any who stepped through behind her.
[i]Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.[/i]

Hastarl Ras'diath
Simaldi hand

Post by Hastarl Ras'diath »

OOC: Continued from here

Hastarl had entered the portal and was now in the other end of it but nothing could have prepared him for what he saw. He felt a little dizzy after the trip and tried get a feeling of his surroundings.

The first thing he saw was a group of soldiers standing nearby, and some crafters or whatever they were. At least they had recognizable tools. Where am I was his first thought as he felt quiet outnumbered, not knowing what to do. When he joined the legions, he thought he would do a an agent or spy in another city, country or continent. Shortly after that he stood with a uniform in his hands and was on his way to unknown destination.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

OOC: welcome all. I'll be doing a covering post here tomorrow. Vanadius will be picking up your stories next week until hopefully circumstances allow Grant to thaw from big icestorms and return to our midst.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

The surprisingly young governor Maglio, with a small, wirey build blanketed under vibrant, wealthy robes of red and gold turned to face the new entries, his grin growing wider. So, this was the time when reinforcements of his hometown finally came through. His father must have pulled a few strings, or perhaps one or two magisters realized their interest in this conflict. If only they could secure a base here...

"Welcome, welcome," Maglio beamed at Sweeney , Reiker and Hastarl and quite a few others who were stepping through the portal at a rapid pace. The Mouth was pulling its resouces into Pan's Isle in a last attempt to secure the area. "You have all been added to my private forces. Please be so kind to follow Lt. Castellani over here, who shall be employing you alongside his own troops." There was enough here to form at least three extra units to the mounted troops, with more likely to come. Maglio could only hope they were good at building fortifications.

Finally his eyes rested on Gaelena, the clerk quickly whispering to him she was a healer. He arched an eyebrow. The One provides he thought piously. The army of Father Rathe had emptied all his reserves. He knew he was damn well going to need every healer he could get. "Welcome milady," he said with a courteous bow, pretending to wanting to kiss her hand. Girls were impressed with this he had learned "I find myself currently without good guidance in the hospice. I wonder if I might impose upon you..?"
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Waiting her turn, Gaelena allowed her eyes to graze over those before her. Soldiers, out to kill those of beliefs similar to her own. But, she went where needed, so she would not let on to her own, supposedly pagan beliefs.

When her turn arrived, she smiled sweetly at the young governor, giving him her hand. "I would be happy to help in any way I can, milord," she replied. She was no great healer, but she would help where people needed her, even if they were trained killers.

Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

"So basically you're the one we're supposed to talk to bout coin?"

It took a while for Reiker to notice who Maglio was. The authority and blue-blooded demeanor inherent in the way the man spoke made his insides squirm. Reiker bit his lip as he stayed his restless sword-hand.

"I had a disagreement with your representative back in sands, he said I'd talk to you about wage."
[url=http://world4.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=47124424]click me please[/url]
Sweeney
Civus

Post by Sweeney »

[OOC: Thanks, Maeve! Welcome, Vanadius!]

Sweeney fidgeted with his new armaments while the youthful governor addressed the growing body of "recruits." He was unimpressed with the governor, who struck the half-giant as a boy playing at being a leader. When Maglio pointed out Lt. Castellani as their immediate commander, Sweeney took a bit more interest. Although the Lieutenant was also young, he at least had the bearing of a real soldier. Then it dawned on Sweeney that he'd seen Castellani before, in the Dortman just last night. He'd been talking to the Purificatio whom Mezzatino had attacked, but beyond that, Sweeney had not gleaned much about the man. Although they had not been introduced, Sweeney figured the officer would remember him—the half-giant had learned some time ago that inconspicuousness was never going to be one of his leading attributes.

On the strength of this sliver of acquaintance, Sweeney approached the lieutenant directly. "Good day, sir. Which way to the Dortman? I'm famished, 'n' I never fought well on an empty stomach," he asked. The question was a jest, but also in earnest. Sweeney was hungry and hoped he'd be able to find some hot meals, even in the middle of a war zone.
--T.S. Eliot

Post by Guest »

Ignazio was pleased with the way Maglio immediately impressed the Lieutenant's authority upon the new recruits. It was a good first step in ensuring that the disunity which had plagued the defences in the past would be alleviated.

"Good day, sir. Which way to the Dortman? I'm famished, 'n' I never fought well on an empty stomach."

Ignazio did not immediately recognize the large man who approached him - no, he quickly decided that he could not be a man, but was more likely a half-giant with his stature - but his friendly approach and mention of the Dortman caused Ignazio to cast his mind back for a second. He remembered someone entering the Dortman the previous night - though he did not see their face, the man's stature left little doubt as to whether it was the same person that stood before him now.

"Alas, the Dortman is now far away," Ignazio said with a hint of a smile. A restrained smile, though; professionalism must be maintained. "I am sure there is plenty of other opportunity for food in this place though. As I have just arrived myself I am unsure as to where that may be, but I am sure the fine Governor here would know." Ignazio quickly changed his focus of attention from the half-giant to Maglio, nodding in apology at the interruption to both the red-haired Gaelena and the weathered Reikar.

"Governor, my men and horse will require the lodgings you mentioned you would provide earlier; I need some time to inspect the defences, and undoubtably soldiers such as my good man here - whose name I have unfortunately not yet caught (Ignazio left the unspoken question hanging in the air, half glancing at Sweeney as he spoke) - are needing to eat and find a place to offload their baggage."

As soon as he had secured the location of his men's quarters, he would organise for everyone to move there and unload their belongings while he began inspecting the defences. Once Ignazio was finished, he would take to sorting out these raw recruits into units, see exactly what it was that he had to work with.
Hastarl Ras'diath
Simaldi hand

Hastarl felt very small with the human and halfgiant right next to him. He didn't know any of them but he recognized something by the halfgiant.

The Dortman. He must be from World's Mouth too. The other one can't be, I didn't see any sand back there

At least he was in what the little man called his private forces. That meant no frontline action at the moment. He also looked to have money in his mind more than loyalty. The lieutenant, on the contrary, looked like a more pleasant man with a glimpse in the eye.

"Governor, my men and horse will require the lodgings you mentioned you would provide earlier; I need some time to inspect the defences, and undoubtably soldiers such as my good man here - whose name I have unfortunately not yet caught - are needing to eat and find a place to offload their baggage."

Just what I need. I haven't got any food so far. He looked forward the food, but feared the moment he should prove his worth with a sword.
Sweeney
Civus

Post by Sweeney »

Sweeney noticed the hint of smile that played on Ignazio's face as the officer responded to his question and decided on the spot that he liked the man. A man who cannot smile will never have need to went his people's expression. When the Lieutenant went on to insist on food and quarters for the new conscripts, the half-giant's approval grew further. Somewhere inside the haughty exterior of the Alamairre, Sweeney thought, beat a heart that would not have been out of back in a halfling village.

"Thank you, Sir," he finally said to Ignazio after the formalities had been sorted out. "My name is Sweeney. Yesterday I was traveler from Brie. Today, seems I am soldier of World's Mouth." The former pugilist had a great many questions, but he sufficed himself with one of the most urgent: "So who we fightin', anyway?"
--T.S. Eliot

Post by Guest »

"For the moment, no-one," Ignazio replied briefly to the half-giant he now knew was named Sweeney, while waiting for Maglio to redirect his attention. "However, the actions of the Oneist faction here have meant that there is a high chance of conflict with the Empire - there will be a briefing on the situation later." Hoping that appeased Sweeney for the moment, Ignazio turned back to Maglio.

While some men operate on a largely 'need to know' basis, Ignazio believed that soldiers - and, indeed, anyone taking rather than giving orders - were better able to act independantly when called upon if they were aware of the context of their actions.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

OOC: Sorry for the wait all! I had to get all my ducks in a row! Thanks for your patience and lets get going again! :)

Once again the machinery of the portal sparked to life and a trio of men in black robes with the symbol of the eye in white upon their breasts stepped through. In most cases, the loud noise of the portal caused most to turn and look, and this case was no exception, but here were three dressed in strange and stark contrast from all others that most stopped and stared a bit.

Even more strangely, the trio of men moved out and away from the portal with strong, measured steps as if they were continuing down a wide avenue, and not as if they had just transported to entirely new location. They marched directly to the young Governor of Aveas and the somewhat stunned Maglio interrupted himself from what he had been about to say to Castellani as the men approached.

"Governor Maglio, I am Acolyte Exeter of the Scions of the White Orb. My order has come forward to assist you with securing of the Aveas colony. In what way may we assist you in this?"

Governor Maglio looked taken aback and somewhat unnerved by the strange arrivals.

"Meet with Lieutenant Castellani there. He has been placed in charge of the military compliment here."

The trio moved in perfect unison towards Ignazio and the others. When they reached the Lieutenant, the one who had named himself Exeter pulled his hood back to reveal the weathered face of a man roughly forty yahren with a broad nose and a strong jaw.

"Lieutenant..." The Acolyte looked around at the others carefully before continuing. "... I am Exeter of the Scions of the White Orb. Our order wishes to assist in the effort."

The strange priest stood there, expectantly, casting his gaze around at Ignazio and the others somewhat defiantly.
Sweeney
Civus

Post by Sweeney »

Sweeney had not received a very satisfactory answer to his question about whom he'd been drafted to kill in the name of the Church and the King, but before he could press Ignazio further on that point, the clanking of the portal announced a new arrival. The half-giant watched as did everyone as the three robed Oneists appeared and marched toward the governor. Sweeney was suspicious of the newcomers, but intrigued. They moved with a purpose and confidence that Sweeney recognized as being the product of either great power or great ignorance. He suspected it was not the latter case. In light of his recent treatment at the hands of the Purificatio, the half-giant edged away from the Lieutenant as the three approached. He lingered within earshot of the discussion, but tried to do as little as possible that might draw attention to him.
Last edited by Sweeney on Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
--T.S. Eliot

Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

Reiker grunted and said out louder," Hey, buddy. Wage talk. Right about now."

He strained his brow at Maglio as he spoke.

Post by Guest »

Ignazio was momentarily surprised by the appearance of these three men who had so quickly drawn Maglio's attention. They radiated self-confidence, but also defiance as though expecting predjudice - something that set off a warning bell in Ignazio's head as potentially causing division in their defences. He would have to learn more.

"You a most welcome here, Senor Exeter," Ignazio replied smoothly. "Any aid is welcome aid. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with your order; what help are you able to provide us with?"
Hastarl Ras'diath
Simaldi hand

The sound of the portal surprised Hastarl as everything was quiet around them and suddenly the scrampling sound from the portal.

It's hard to see anything with those robes, he thought and the Half-giant didn't help as he walked into his sight. He caught something like "white Orb" as he tried to move away to see better.
Last edited by Hastarl Ras'diath on Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

Reiker sighed in a quick burst and massaged his temple with his free hand, the other tightening its grip upon his sword. He gritted his teeth and tried his last and final best to get Maglio's attention.

"Sir, If I may intrude," his speech shook and took a deepened tone as it came from clenched teeth, "Your representative in the sands had a little disagreement with me concerning the amount of wage I'll be receiving as I fight for you. He told me to speak with you concerning the problem. If it bids you wise to do so please speak with me now as that I may as rapidly receive my orders when the concern of money is settled."

He breathed deep and slowly, a thickness of heavy pressure replacing his aura.

Return to “Aveas Archive”