PI: Gatetown Center (Samheen 29th)

Moderators: Ashari, Mods

Grant
Retired Game Designer

PI: Gatetown Center (Samheen 29th)

Post by Grant »

Back in their old city, the adhiel had a beautiful fountain, around which were benches and soft bushes. Here, they had no fountain, they had no benches, but they made due with what they had. A shaper had turned a collection of saplings into a sphere of greenery which made up the central spot. Perhaps it was just to create a sense of home, or maybe it was to give the children something to run around and play.

Around this were logs which the men and strong women had gone out to retrieve from the woods for sitting places. Some were draped with blankets, cushions (were they from the famed Pan's Isle tavern?) and extra clothing to make for a softer seating area.

People of every background were here, and if one were looking for someone of a trade, this would be the place to find him or her. A lute player sat leaning against a tree, playing a simple harmony for the children's activities, other than that, most everyone else was in a conversation with their neighbor.
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Uncertain how exactly he had got back to Gatetown, Finodborn dragged himself around in a dreamlike haze. Perhaps it was because of the cushions, which at least strongly resembled those of the late Pan's Touch Inn, but he felt a bit drunk - extremely tired, but with a sense of contentment.

He heard the sound of the lute and checked his back to feel whether he had his own with him. Had he been less tired, he would have gladly sought out a musical encounter, but now the passive role was more than demanding enough on him. He tried to make his tired feet get him to an empty spot on the improvised benches.

Only once seated, he wondered where Whimsy had gone. Had she hidden for the other villagers, or simply been out of his sight? He looked at the box with stings the Queen had given him. He looked at them as the physical embodiment of his hope - and he hoped this hope would be enough.

Fighting against sleep, he tried to spot a familiar face. He knew well enough that time was precious, and that he should go look for the Shaper or Paloma in fact. But right now, both those things seemed as impossible as driving out all the Oneists single-handedly. Sadly, he had only spent a few tides here, and he realized it could be possible that he would have to overcome his shyness again and address a stranger.
Verum et factum convertuntur.
Avatar by the Artist Currently Known as Eira.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

It might have been a mark since Finodborn had been in the forests of the Fae...maybe a few tides since he had managed his curious negotiations with the mysterious Queen. Since arriving at the Grove, he felt calm...and perhaps too relaxed, as if he had only just soaked in a hot bath for several marks. His calm lethargy faded quickly to be replaced by lively strength...and soon enough he found his steps light and easy as he walked from the deserted Shaper's Grove to Gatetown a short distance away.

Whimsy was indeed there, gazing around with what might have been a critical eye. If she found little to impress her with the Shaper's Grove, she would find far less to impress her with Gatetown, for the place had grown since Finodborn had last seen it. More tents and make-shift dwellings sprung up around the settlement's center, a stretching field of tents that were nestled beneath the leafy canopy of the forest above.

More curious than the settlement or the Grove was the genuine lack of people. Finodborn saw no one at the Shaper's Grove...and it wasn't until he had entered the center until he spotted a large mass of inhabitants just nearby, all gathered near the portal itself.

"Pssst!" came the quiet whisper from Whimsy. Once she had grabbed Finodborn's attention, she winked at him mischievously before grabbing the fringe of her red-feathered cloak and pulling it forward, obscuring her form as she knelt down and...became a bird. Shaking itself off, Finodborn now found a black-beaked, red-feathered cardinal grosbeak standing beside him, it's curiously pointed comb swaying as the little animal considered him carefully.

Chirp warble chirp! it peeped, only moments before it took flight upward to land upon a branch high over Finodborn's head before they neared the locals.

It took Finodborn mere moments to realize what was afoot here in Gatetown. Hundreds of locals...mainly refugees from the invasion to the West along with a few other scattered souls both adhiel and centaur alike...were gathered around Eilish, daughter of Pan, who spoke closely with Paloma. No one could deny Eilish the title of beautiful, but at current she seemed perhaps tired, her face more drawn than usual and her customarily lethargic, relaxed expression now pained and stressed.

Of the hundreds of inhabitants at Gatetown, none had taken notice of Finodborn as yet...or the curious box he carried.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

OOC: I'm a bit confused - I thought Whimsy was taking Fin straight to Gatetown (through the ground, even). It's no problem, I can go on from your post, but if you will, I will edit my opening post to make a bit more sense.

IC:
It was good to see the familiar sight of the Grove. even though he'd been there only once before, it didn't have the eerie atmosphere that hung about the faerie woods. This particular quality had not bothered him while he was in there, but as soon as he saw a normal place, he was nevertheless eager to get there.

Not that the grove was particularly normal. Many stories were told about these places, some obviously nonsensical, other more mysterious. But Finodborn felt rejuvenated when he left the place, and made a mental note to ask the Shaper about the properties of the place.

Whimsy's psst pulled him out of his pondering. He giggled, and tried to imitate her 'chirp warble chirp'. "I'll see whether I can find you some nuts, Whimsy."

Finodborn didn't remember ever seeing Eilish before, but the sight before him could be only explained by her presence. Furthermore, every Panling knew stories about her and her famous looks, so even if they hadn't met, he could see she matched the general description.

Although she looked tired, the entire situation filled him with a sense of optimism. The gentle pressure of the box under his arm, the red bird in the branches, the presence of their leader... Things were moving the right way, it seemed.

He got as close to Paloma as he could. If he wouldn't spot any familiar face, he'd do a very unusual thing: draw attention to himself. He'd yell: "Gatetown, we have ourselves an ally!"
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha wandered carefully along the path to what was (presumably) Gatetown, taking careful note of her surroundings. Everything seemed new and strange and different - the kiss of the air on her skin, the colour of the sky and clouds, the feel of the earth under her feet, the myriad scents and sounds of her new environment. Scatha drank them all in eagerly, making comparisions between Trothgard and Amun Rah and the Citadel and Dort. This is a splendid place, she thought to herself happily. I bet this land gives good crops. Purely out of habit, she bent down and tookup a handful of earth, feeling it between her fingers; it was soft and moist, not too much clay in it, but not so fine as to slip away between them. "Good earth," she said approvingly, then carried on walking, brushing her hands mostly clean as she did so.

The sound of voices and activity and music grew louder as she approached a peculiar structure seemingly made of saplings, but fashioned so cunningly that Scatha could not see how a woodsman could have made it. Inside were many people, and Scatha entered cautiously, still not sure of her welcome, and looked hopefully for a familiar face.

There was one; Finodborn, the adhiel she had met briefly in the Duke's garden. That was a good start, at least. Scatha edged through the crowd towards him, anxious to see if he remembered her...
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image by kind permission of Peter Town - check out his great work at Elfwood!

"Cleavage & attitude can carry a girl a *long* way"
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

As he was trying to make his way through the sea of bodies, he did indeed spot a familiar face. An appropriate one at that, he thought. He couldn't imagine anybody who embodied the optimistic, carefree mood he was in -despite the gloomy situation they were all in- better than Scatha Ashtir.

As such, he was less surprised than he would have been on rational grounds. Because it wasn't all that clear how she had got here, and more importantly, why.) But it was crystal clear to him that Pan had placed her here, as a living piece of Art, to express exactly what Finodborn felt.

The feeling extended itself gradually to the entire mass present, and for a minute, he thought could understand the way of life of the fae, for he felt one with them.

On this wave of positive affect, he got hold of her, and gave her a warm hug, very typical as a Panling welcome, and very untypical as an act of Finodborn. "Miss Ashtir! It is so good to see you! What brings you to our home?"
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha grinned from ear to ear as she returned Finodborn's hug; "And it is good to see you again! As for why I am here... I am sent here by Erwin, the Duke of Dort. He wants me to observe and assist, whatever that means. So here I am, and whatever help a simple farm girl can offer is at your service. Or at the service of whoever is in charge," she added hastily. "Speaking of which, who is in charge, anyhow? The adhiel at the portal mentioned is someone called Paloma, and another person called Eilish. Who are they?"

She stepped back to take in her surroundings in more detail; "The last time we spoke, you said that there was a war, and that you were going to fight. It seems very peaceful here... has the war ended?"
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Finodborn had a hard time understanding the stream of words that flowed from the Dortese's lips, but his trip to the Citadel had been good for his knowledge of the common tongue.

"The Duke of Dort?" Finodborn frowned and thought for a flicker or two. "I had no idea you worked for the nobility," he added, resisting the first question that had come to mind: "Why did he send you?" For he was certain it would have come across as if he had asked "Why did he send you?" In fact, he was interested in how she had got to know the Duke of Dort and whether she was here as a part of a larger reinforcement on his part.

"Well, anyway, I'm glad you're here. We can use all the help we can get. We never really had a boss here, but Eilish, the High Priestess of Pan, has her way with words and people. So she used to do the talking for us. And with us.

But then she disappeared, and Paloma took over her job. I've only just got back here myself, but what the guards said to you confirms what I thought: Eilish is back, which is great news. You'll like them both, I expect.

I'm afraid the war is far from over. This is nothing but a refugee camp, even if it has grown considerably since I was here the last time. The Oneists have taken our city, Tal'Fea Taur, and murdered many of our people. I just made a journey to contact some friends to help us," he continued, eyeing the red bird, "and you walk in as yet another one. So maybe we will win this war. Let me introduce you."

He took Scatha's hand, the wax chest supported by his other hand, and made his way through the mass, mumbling excuses in adhiel. It was brutish behavior for him, but the presence of somebody who was ordered to come here by the Duke of Dort gave it enough importance.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

"I wouldn't say that I work for the Duke," Scatha explained as she followed Finodborn. "It's more of a favour, really. He asked to me come and see, and to help if I can, and then to tell him when I got back." Scatha struggled for the word; obsever... ogservant... no, wait... "An odd servant, I think he said it was. And I am to give a message to Eilish, but I do not know who she is, but I think you do, so if you can point her out I would be very grateful." Scatha paused to take a breath.

"And as for why he sent me out of all the other people he could have picked, I have no idea. He seemed to think I had skills that might be useful. To be honest, I think he just wanted me out of the way while they pick the next Caesar, to stop people getting confused. They have no idea, y'know - they even voted for me at one point. Can you imagine it?"

Scatha's eyes fell on the peculiar chest that Finodborn was carrying; "That's unusual," she remarked. "What is it?"
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

She didn't quite tell him what he wanted to know before her breath. When she continued after her breath, he cringed. Apparently he hadn't succeeded in hiding this truly unintended connotation, as she addressed the issue of why the Duke had sent her. He always felt very hurt when people didn't manage to hide such connotations from him. As such, he felt very bad Scatha was downplaying herself right now.

All of a sudden, while he was turning red because of the harm he supposedly had unwillingly caused her, he noticed a shift in the topic of conversation. "They voted you for Caesar?"

As a matter of fact, Finodborn didn't know the first thing about how Caesars were made. Nonetheless, he found it surprising that normal people like Scatha -well, normal in a specifically defined, but positive sense- were taken in consideration for the function. Maybe Scatha herself had been a little confused. But this time he knew better than to let any shred of doubt about the truth of the matter shimmer through. "You'll have to explain that in more detail, I believe. But I'm sure the others will want to know too. Eilish should be around here somewhere," he continued trying to find the centre of attention of this mass.

Then, Finodborn looked at the chest he was carrying. "This," he said, eyeing the thing with proud affection -as if it were his little baby- "are giant stings. They will help us in the war." He knew the following would probably come across as rather absurd, but he figured Scatha was the kind of person who could handle that. "The Queen of a hive of giant bees gave it to support our cause."
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

One of the strange difficulties with this crowd of onlookers were their curious variety of size and shape. The adhiel were reasonable enough...and among them were dispersed a few humans and half-giants, though precious few of those larger, hulking people. Mixed in with these were centaurs, curious creatures that had the body of a horse, but the torso, arms, and head of a man. Unique to Pan's Isle, the centaurs present were carefully painted and decorated in a fashion that would hold some significance to them...but a significance lost on the rest of the world.

Despite this, Finodborn and Scatha managed to slip through the crowds to reach the center where Eilish herself nodded at what must have been Paloma's swift description of the situation on Pan's Isle. Both ladies spotted Finodborn's approach, and while Eilish turned to greet them, Paloma smiled and backed away, leaving the trio to speak. She did, however, offer introductions...a social custom normally lost upon the native inhabitants of Pan's Isle, but one that served Scatha rather well.

"Ah...Finodborn, you've come. I had word to expect you," Paloma said, unwilling to reveal the curious nature by which she received this word. While Pan's Isle was host to a great many creatures, both natural and unnatural, she had learned in recent days that a few of them could speak...including the sleek, gray wolves that normally ranged much further north, along the hills. "This is Lady Eilish, daughter of Pan," she introduced, motioning towards the small, thin shape of the same.

Lady Eilish was small, but her bearing was anything but. A creature of singularly flawless presentation, her skin was smooth and unblemished and her hair shimmered and cascaded in a fashion that might have been casual, but was far too shimmering to be without any artifice at all. She wore pale blue robes of filmy silk that covered much of her flesh but left none of her form to the imagination. She did not appear to carry anything...no purse, no weapon, no bag of any kind, and while her expression could be interpreted as fatigue, there might have also been a note of sadness as well. Sadness...or resignation.

"Welcome, friends," she offered simply, her sparkling eyes dancing over first Finodborn and then Scatha.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha was entranced.

Not since she had been in Trothgard had she seen so many interesting people and... things that might be people. There were adhiel. There were half-giants, at least as big as the rude unique that had tried to thrust his none-existant parts into her face. And there were horse people. Or perhaps they were people-horses. Anyway, they looked wonderful. Scatha barely noticed where she was going until she bumped into Finodborn, and realised they had stopped in front of two women.

Scatha stood and listened as one of the women - Paloma? - spoke to Finodborn, and then introduced the other woman. Ah - Eilish, the one that the adhiel at the portal spoke of... Scatha waited for the woman to acknowledge her, and then spoke.

"I bring word from the Duke of Dort." She screwed up her nose, trying to make sure she remembered the exact content of his message. "He says he is sorry that he did not act sooner, but he had no idea how bad things were. He says he will send a host of Purple Guards through the portal. Also, he will send some of his own troops through a secret way." Scatha looked up at Eilish and Paloma; "He didn't tell me anything about that, otherwise it wouldn't be a secret. And he said that I was help, if I could."
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Finodborn hadn't payed any attention to the crowd at all - until he saw the amazement in his companion's eyes. By the time he had noticed the somewhat peculiar composition of the crowd, they had reached the people they were looking for.

The somewhat formal welcome Paloma offered was not wat he expected from her -no hugging fest and all- but he was more comfortable with this way of doing things anyway. "You cannot believe how glad I am to see you again," he replied. He naturally assumed the faeries had informed her of his return some way or the other.

He nodded to Paloma, and made a half-bow for Eilish, whom he had never met. He opened his mouth to introduce Scatha, but she obviously didn't need an extra introduction. Besides, his eyes were turned to their comfortable focus - his feet. As such, the sparkling was totally lost to him, sadly.

He overheard Scatha's tiding with some amusement, but even more so with amazement. The news she brought was better than they could have hoped for - reinforcements! Or maybe "forcements" would be a more suited term. He noticed the centaurs now, too, as well as the other strangers, and it was very clear to him that great progress had been made.

"I myself bring good news too" he spoke after Scatha had finished. "The majority of the Light Host of Faeries have promised that they will come when we call. Once. Also, there's a very big bee Queen who gave us these. If I understand well, they can serve as arrow heads."

Only now did he look Eilish in the eyes, and gave her the peculiar wax chest, finishing of with yet another clumsy bow.

And now what? To him, it was a genuine concern, because he really didn't know what else to say or how to close the conversation in a normal fashion if Eilish herself wouldn't continue. It was very tiring to chase himself around like that, he knew well enough, but a flicker of not knowing what to say against people was a long period of time in his book.

Luckily, there was Scatha, who clearly didn't suffer from this condition.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Oh!" replied Paloma immediately, glancing down to inspect the wax chest as Finodborn handed it over. Eilish passed the chest over to Paloma, though her attention never left Finodborn and Scatha.

"Such news you bring. Such good news you bring. I had hoped for the Duke's assistance, madam, and...leadership," offered Eilish, glancing between the two. "If we can survive until Erwin's reinforcements arrive, then we might have a chance. Finodborn, it seems as though your alliance with the Faery Host may purchase the time we need...time enough for these reinforcements to arrive."

Paloma had turned her attention upon the wax chest, placing it upon the ground and prying it open to reveal the stingers within. Eilish continued to speak, however, her expression darkening. "The situation is far worse than we had anticipated. The Westerners are coming. They've found us...it was only a matter of time...and soon, they'll be here...perhaps in another tide or so. And we have nothing with which to repel them. If they reach Gatetown, all is lost. But you have both brought with you...hope, perhaps. I am no great leader in war, but I know a few tricks...and perhaps we might buy the precious time we need."

Turning to focus upon Scatha, Eilish granted her the benefit of her most radiant smile. "And you must be our general. The Duke would send no one else. I fear you have a very difficult time ahead of you, Lady...but we will triumph so long as our faith holds. Perhaps we should gather together what soldiers we have for your review? I have a plan to help us survive to see tomorrow...though it will require some risk from both of you."
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Considering the fact that the fae have promised their assistance only once, I think we should not call them until there are truly no other options left. But I'll call them whenever you want me to." He found it impossible to speak common to Eilish, especially when the need was so high for precise use of language. He could always translate for Scatha later on.

Finodborn didn't know anything about Scatha's skills as a field general, but then he didn't know her all that well, and he reckoned Eilish had good reasons to give command out of hands, even if Scatha was nothing like the idea he had about military commanders. She was very pretty, cheerful, chaotic and young, to name just a few qualities generals didn't normally display according to his stereotype of this particular profession.

"Whatever you deem necessary," he replied to Eilish' last comment. "I do have one more question, if I can take some more of your precious time. When I left the Citadel, a messenger from Pan told me I had to come back to the Isle 'and bring Brother and Sister together again, for only combined they could drive the mad God's soldiers from our lands.' Do you have any idea what it could have meant, considering your special rapport with our Lord?"
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha's mouth opened in a perfect O of surprise; "ME? As your GENERAL?" For a flicker Scatha was quite sure that it was a mistake, the same as being nominated for Caesarii without being told. It was only when she looked at Eilish's face that she realised that the woman was absolutely serious.

"I am very honoured," she said slowly, "but I don't think I can do it. I have never been anything but a farm girl, or a scout, or a messenger before. When the Duke sent me, it was to carry a message to you. If I can provide any help, it would as one of those things. Surely there must be someone amongst your people with more experience than me of such things...?"

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Eilish glanced from Finodborn's face to Scatha's. Both could see the pained look that haunted it...not a look of desperation or defeat, but one of...resignation. What can this mean? Unite Brother and Sister. And what parts are they to play, if it is not to lead us into battle? Can there be another way? Oh, father...what am I to do?

"I...I don't know, Finodborn. I don't know what that means. Perhaps the key to our victory may lie in those words? But I cannot advise you in this," she replied, clearly very frustrated by the enigmatic prophesy. Turning her eyes downward, she caught sight of the stingers in the wax chest just beside her, at Paloma's feet. A slight wince came over her, a wince of what the stingers were...and how they were to be used. We are going into battle. How easily we have done it before. But there are so few of us. Perhaps I might offer what I can? If nothing more, we might buy time for Finodborn to unravel his mystery...and for this lady to find her place among us.

"Master Bard, I cannot help you unravel that mystery...and I must ask you to attend to other things for now. Do you know how to call upon the Faery Host? And do you know they will respond?" she began, trying to inspire herself as well as the assembled creatures around her. Faery were hardly reliable, their actions often as chaotic as the Mother herself. Still, Eilish had never know them to ignore a bargain made...so it seemed likely that they might at least carry the day today...and possibly give the Oneists something to consider. "Scatha, perhaps your skills will be better suited to what we need just now. We haven't more than a few hundred soldiers to defend us, so we must avoid fighting the Westerners directly...and we must give their scouts to know great confusion and disorganization. I think you are the ideal leader for this....for we need not fight any battles today. We need to avoid them...and hurt them. Here is what I propose...for the both of you."

"Scatha my dear, you must take the centaurs and adhiel archers we have and march away from Gatetown...to the Northwest, avoiding the approaching Westerners. You must take these stingers. This will leave us undefended save for the traps Paloma and Allegra...and for Finodborn, who will remain here with me. When the Westerners arrive, they will assault Gatetown...and we will call upon the Faery Host to defeat them. They will flee back to the West, towards Tal'Fea Taur...and you will ambush them and harass them throughout their retreat, Scatha. In this way, we might place within them great fear...and perhaps break their resolve for many days to come. Do you both believe you can accomplish these things? This is the only way I know to fight them today...and to win us time such that help can arrive."
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha pursed her lips as she watched Eilish's face; she hated disappointing people, but she knew she didn't have the faintest idea of how to mount a defense against a well organised army.

Hiding and ambushing the same though... that was something she thought she could do. Hiding and terrorising other children - especially Daisy Applebottom - had been her favourite game. What Eilish was suggesting sounded like an bigger, more dangerous variant of the same. The more she thought about it, the more she thought she could do it. It sounded possible. More to the point, it sounded fun. Dangerous, but fun.

"I think I can do that," she said slowly, trying to arrange things in her head. "I will need someone who can speak common, and adhiel... and centaur too, and any other language I don't understand, so that they can explain what is to be done. And I will need guides, to show me the land. And I need to know what these -" here she tapped the case of bee stings (although Scatha was quite sure she did not want to ever meet bees that would produce stings of that size) - "do, and how they work." She looked quizzically at Finodborn; "Do you know? Or do we just stick them in people and find out?"
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Finodborn too was disappointed. If the High Priestess of Pan herself didn't understand the meaning of this message, then who would? Perhaps somebody he had not yet met. Or maybe only he himself. But he had no clue about the identity of this Brother and Sister. Practical demands were at hand, though.

"I know how to call them, yes. I have all reasons to believe that they will respond as well. How they will respond, however, is a total mystery to me. I thought the Shaper would know exactly what to ask for. I have made some friends though, which I could consult. His eyes scanned the surroundings for a red bird.

Then his attention was called to Scatha Ashtir. "I would not advise to try them on people. They should serve as arrowheads. The archers should know how to attach them. I don't know what exactly they will do, but I reckon they may be rather poisonous. So be careful with them, in any case."

"I think it is a good plan, Mother. I have faith. We shall be victorious. Shall I go consult the faeries then, to see whether any light can be shed on the nature of the intervention they will make?"
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Perhaps it would be best if we did not know," replied Eilish evenly to Finodborn's question. While it took very little effort for Finodborn to locate the cardinal nestled in the boughs over his head, it was clear that Eilish, in all truth, did not want to know how the Fae would respond to the call of battle. Pan was not a bloodless God...He could be terribly savage if the need arose...but He was not a God of war, and his followers were inherently peaceful given the choice. It became quickly clear to both Finodborn and Scatha that Eilish was not only ill-equipped to lead the defenders of Gatetown...but she had no great desire to do so either given that she found the practice of combat and warfare to be disgusting and horrifying. "We will place our future in their hands when the time comes."

Glancing over at Scatha, Eilish gave her a wave. "Good luck. I don't know what you'll find in the forests, but so long as you...and your army...aren't trapped here when the invaders arrive, you should have a fighting chance. Go, sister...and may the Light shine upon you always. Come midnight tonight, we will either survive by the Grace of Pan, or we will be slaughtered and defeated. Take the stingers, for I suspect your archers will know how best to use them."

Turning back to Finodborn, Eilish gave him a weak smile. "Until the Westerners arrive, we have precious little to do. Allegra remains away, preparing the woodland with traps...and Paloma will return to the refugees to attend to them. Perhaps you might wish to spend this time to learn what you can of your curious prophesy? I wish I could offer you more wisdom than I have, but there are others here that might provide some insight regarding it's meaning."
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Finodborn recognized his former self in the peaceful pain of the High Priestess. He had learned his lesson though. True, the Panlings were inherently peaceful given the choice. But clearly, the time of options had passed a long time ago now.
The vile being that confronted them had to be eradicated: life had to be injected in its sterile bowels by means of Joy, the eye flaps of its narrow mind had to be destroyed by means of Art. But this alone would not suffice, the young adhiel knew now. Its Blood had to be spilt in great quantities, so that through pain they would learn how to feel. And as cheerful as he had been just flickers ago, he felt rage enflame his soul now.

He didn't reply to her passive stance, but in stead kept a respectful silence. He heard Eillish give Scatha her last instructions. "I hope we may soon see each other again and share some stories," he said to the Dortese. "Believe it or not, but I think your leadership of this mission could be a gift of Pan." I don't think I've met more confusing people than her. Ever. He then turned to Eillish again.

"It feels important to find out, yes. I have spent quite some time here trying to find anybody who knew more, before I left to seek out the fae. But at the time, none could be found. However, there's lots of new people now." He couldn't remember ever having met Allegra, for example, a person mentioned in one breath with Paloma, and as such probably somebody of importance.
"So I could give it another go. That is, if there are no more pressing demands right now."

The best starting point for the search he could think of would be to seek out the bards. Hadn't he heard one earlier on? They often carried with them stories of all kinds.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Paloma, will you help Finodborn?" asked Eilish, turning to the priestess. "I suspect anyone might happen across the right meaning to the riddle. But even if you should find it, Finodborn...you must not leave Gatetown until the Invaders are turned away. If you are not here to unleash the sidhe, then we are doomed. Once they have been confused and driven back, then we will have time...and you shall have whatever you need to pursue this mystery fully. While you do this, I must attend to the refugees to be sure they're ready to evacuate."

Paloma smiled and curtseyed slightly. She seemed in particularly good spirits, all things considered...though everyone immediately near Eilish took on the same demeanor. Finodborn never failed for a moment to notice that while Eilish could provide no military leadership, she was a very potent presence for the moral and spirit of the defenders...a living testament that Pan Had Not Forgotten Them. It was rumored that Eilish was Pan's mortal daughter...rumors that had been confirmed on more than one occasion. Stepping forward, Paloma bobbed another curtsey to Finodborn.

"Will you tell me the...prophesy again, Finodborn? I think we should start with Dilan Tiani, though he might still be out preparing the forest with traps against the Oneists. We might be able to find him, but that would take us outside of Gatetown for a time. There's also the..." Paloma hesitated here for a moment. "...there's also the centaur elders. The Wanahton tribe brought their elders in to Gatetown recently for protection while they fought...and their eldest is said to be wise beyond mortal yahren. He is...difficult to understand, but he is clearly very wise."
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Alright," said Finodborn, "I shan't leave Gatetown for as long as we are under immediate threat."

It felt rather awkward to go and look for the answer to a riddle of some emissary he hadn't even seen. He remembered how the advice of the esteemed priest Vanir hadn't helped him either. Weren't there more useful things to do right now than to go chase some fortunetelling? Of all people, Eilish was going to look after the refugees... Then again, if Eillish believed in the importance of this issue, then it was probably the best thing to do.

He watched her walk away for a flicker before turning to Paloma. "I promised Eillish not to leave Gatetown before the attack. It would be terrible if the fae couldn't be called while Gatetown is under assault. So perhaps we should hear out the centaur elders then? How good is your centaur these days, Paloma," he inquired with a wink, somewhat encouraged by her good cheer. "I thought it could be useful to speak to the bards too... I know out of first hand that they sometimes sing stories without even the slightest clue about the arcane nature of the wisdom they contain."

"I had been praying by the three altars in the temple of Pan in the Citadel. At Gravetide, an emissary came who told me to take up arms and come here. As I remember, he said I had to 'bring Brother and Sister together again', for only together they would be capable of driving away the Mad God's villains from our Isle."

He pulled back his head a bit, narrowing his eyes in fearful anticipation of another sudden trance that would make all eyes accusingly turn his way again.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Stopping suddenly, Paloma rubbed at her eyes for a moment. "Oh, I can't bear to speak centaur. I find it...terribly difficult on the throat, though it sounds impressive enough coming from them. Still, your strange words may not be a prophesy at all, Finodborn. What do you really know of the emissary who told you these words? And could it not be that you have already brought Brother and Sister together again? Could this not refer to your recent affairs with the Faery kind?"

Paloma stopped at the edge where the Gatetown ruins ceased and the Shaper's grove began. To either side, small clearings made of trampled grass, fire pits, and tents stretched outward around the ancient ruins, little camps that made up the homes of so many refugees and volunteers that gathered to the ruins to do what they could to oppose the occupiers. Finodborn could see that many of the refugees too young or too old to fight were already moving East, moving with some difficulty to the relative safety of the deep forests beyond.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

He saw the priestess rub her eyes, and for the first time considered how demanding her task should be for her. Everybody relied on her, coming with their worries and looking for some security with her even though she didn't have the answers either. He put an arm over het shoulder, continuing their way side by side.

"It sure would be nice if this prophecy was already fulfilled, but I'm not too sure about it. True, I know little or nothing about the emissary. But I don't quite understand how the 'Brother and the Sister' could refer to us and the faeries. Who exactly would be brother and who the sister? It seems imprudent to simply ignore the possibility that it could truly be a prophecy that has not been fulfilled."

The sight of the refugee camp hurt, and revitalized his anger. It was frustrating not to be able to do more than what he was doing. Somehow, if it really came to fighting, it could be a relief. It wouldn't be as hard as waiting or fleeing. "Are the centaur elders to be found here?"

Return to “Aveas Archive”