[TI} Where in the name of the Red Warrior Am I ? [sam 29]

Moderator: Mods

Langredoc
Civus

[TI} Where in the name of the Red Warrior Am I ? [sam 29]

Post by Langredoc »

Decided to do it this way because I could not think of a other place to start. Can be moved anyware. Except there !!! :twisted: This is a basic start so I can still change everything.

Langredoc was moving. His feet hurt, he was a bit lost. Not that he would admit that, but still and he never knew where he landed. The fisherman who had been so nice to give him a way out of Taquar after the battle. They had never told him why they where near that damned place anyway, nor where they actually dumped him on the coast. Somehow Langredoc even felt that this war was not finished with him yet, and that it had been not such a good idea after all to win all the money of the fishermen, even though they played lousy. O well, they got their money back in exchange of his landing on the save ..... save ? shore.

So he went on, pondering if he would find any civilization before he would starve to death.
Last edited by Langredoc on Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
[quote]I am the warrior of the raven, traveling from war to war feeding on the dead and the living alike. Until darkness fall's.[/quote]

Morg

Post by Morg »

Plains.

Plains, and plain plains at that, were all that greeted Langredoc as he stumbled ashore. Beyond the dry, sandy beaches, flat plains stretched as far as the eye could see, the land undulating only gently. Underfoot, tufts of stringy, hardy grass carpeted the monotonous landscape. No other creatures were in sight, no other plants. Except perhaps...

Langredoc had been walking for some time before he noticed it. Initially, it could have been nothing but the rippling heat haze rising from the arid ground. But soon there came a point where its existence was undeniable.

On the horizon before the young man was a spinelike tree, or tower, or something of that nature. Incredibly tall and thin, it defied his vision, rearing up into the featureless white sky and tapering to a sharp point. From this distance it was difficult to tell, but it seemed to be not quite solid, as though it were constructed from some kind of latticework. Then again, it could have been just a trick of the dust, the heat and the light.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

"Hot" that was Langredoc's thought... "Very HOT...", he wondered where he actually was, he had never heard of a land with sand and sun this hot. Maybe he should have stayed near the coast but he had decided to do not so he moved his feet.

The sun on his face already made his skin turn red and thirst had become his first concern when when Langredoc became aware of a ....something. It could be a building, strange rock or a tree for that matter. But it was a promise of shadow or more so he turned toward it starteding to move again. He was trying to ignore how much his feet hurt and how much he would give to get a horse, because walking was not really his thing.

All kinds of things wanderd though his mind.
"The Red Warrior sure makes life interesting....... First being drafted.... then smelly orc creatures... and then undying things....make one wonder what shall be next, with my luck probably huge firebreating smelly creatures..." The young man scratched the places where he remembered the wounds while chuckling about these insane thoughts.

If he would have to stay out in the open for days in a land like this he knew he would die. So the thing in the distance would better be something usefull. The thought brought a grin on his face...and new thoughts "Not without a fight... never without a fight.. there was bloody hell no tougher creature then him." he concluded while he touched the weapons on his back. The weapons would become more heavy he knew, but not now, he had a goal.... a strange building... maybe.

He moved on...
Last edited by Langredoc on Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
[quote]I am the warrior of the raven, traveling from war to war feeding on the dead and the living alike. Until darkness fall's.[/quote]

Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Talanwei Fortisse »

ooc: Hey there Langredoc! I’m gonna be supporting this thread from here on out! I look forward to writing with you :wink:

[hr]The orb of fire in the sky sent its unforgiving spears crashing down on Langredoc’s shoulders. The mail he wore started to weigh terribly on him as did the weapons, perhaps sooner than he had suspected. This desert heat did much to sap ones stamina and leave them as corpses for the birds. Though Langredoc was clearly not native, vultures would not discriminate against foreign flesh.

Rather than get closer, the mysterious spire in the distance seemed to remain stationary. Watery lines of heat rose from the gleaming sands as he suffered through the oppressive temperature. It seemed all at once when it happened. The hazy line became solid, no longer veiled by mirage and tricks of the sun. It was once an oil drilling tower but it had fallen into a heavy state of disrepair. Parts of the squat walls had caved in, making the ill fated living quarters by the tower look as a broken tooth.

By this point, swallowing would have become a chore to the young warrior because of his thirst. It seemed as if the dust in the air was contained in his throat. By the time he reached the building, Langredoc’s only thoughts were for water. If he listened he would hear the clang of tools as he drew closer. It was from inside that these sounds came. A young man scrubbed sweat running from his cheek. His skin was a deep olive color and it was smeared with dirt along with oil along his arms. A plume of deep black hair stood defiant in the desert air. Course linens clothed his body and a wrap of unknown cloth twined around his neck which would serve as a mask for dust if needed. At his side, a mangy scrap of a dog sat with tongue lolling from his mouth. The mutt's eyes were half closed as if it was waiting for the work to be done. The young man was working with large piece of wood, the use of which unknown.

For the most part, the approach of the Dortman was unnoticed. That was until he came upwind of the canine. Langredoc's smell was different than anything in the desert and this set the hound to barking. The dog made a bee line outside of the shade of the building and stood a few arm lengths away from the follower of the Red Warrior. The dog's stance was curious and the furry brush that was his tail wagged furiously. At first the young man tried to ignore the incessant yapping of his pet but soon it became too much to concentrate through.

"Agh! Shut your mouth, drebi-ferkit!" he had leapt atop a low broken wall and his arm was raised to throw a gnarled stick at the dog. It was then that his eyes happened upon Langredoc. At that same moment, Langredoc likely would have seen what could not be mistaken as anything but a waterskin on the young man's hip. The native boy's eyes widened and the arm lowered slowly.

"A guarrdi! A real, guarrdi!" he seemed disbelieving as he put his palm to his forehead. As if he remembered something suddenly he flinched slightly and gestured to the half broken building that would at least afford some shade to the sun baked warrior.

"Quickly, quickly get out of that sun!" said the olive skinned youth. He smiled and his white teeth were a contrast to the darkness of his flesh. There would be a certainty of water if Langredoc so chose to follow.[/hr]
[b]Convo Kill Count[/b]: 1
[b]Funny Chat Moments[/b]: 3
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

OOC : Thanks, I like it as well. ;) Btw I am also Gwayne, just so you know. btw very nice post.
[hr][/hr]

Dry lips, already split and bleeding. Langredoc was glad that his reflection was not visible in anything shiny. He had a feeling that he was carrying a warhorse on his shoulders while he dragged his feet towards the thing that slow, very slow turned out to be a building of some kind. And the sounds made clear that there was life....

I bloody hope that the people who live there have water, and want to share it. Fighting is the last thing I want now...

His thoughts rumbled a bit on, then he concentrated again on moving his feet. Until suddenly as it seemed he arrived.... He woke up because of a dog barking. His hands moved in a reflex.... a very slow reflex towards the hilts of his swords. But he realised soon enough that this was a happy bark, not a nasty one.

Langredoc, liked dogs, they where loyal, nice then humans and many had kept him warm when he was a mere child having a adults life. His master had ordered him many a time to stay in front of his lordships tent to keep watch. The dogs had stayed with him and as said kept him warm,
He was so absorbed by the appearance of the dog that he almost did not notice the boy.

"Agh! Shut your mouth, drebi-ferkit!" it made the man almost grapple for his weapons again. He was angry about that. It showed how tired and worn out he was. So he tried to smile nicely towards the boy.

"A guarrdi! A real, guarrdi!" the boy shouted.

Is that a good or a bad thing ? Langredoc thought.

And then invited him into the strange looking building while shouting again "Quickly, quickly get out of that sun!".

The headage of Langredoc seemed to become worse by the voice of the boy. But the idea of leaving the direct attack of the sun was a good one, if he stayed outside he would be meat for those birds who followed him for sure....

Maybe he also speaks a bit of a normal language..... just my luck, ending in a place where they speak a strange language.. What would Guarrdi mean ?

Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

"Come, come!" said the young man excitedly. He dusted off a threadbare rug with an impatient hand that was situated in the shade. The young man did this for the Dortman and for himself he simply hunkered down on the dusty ground cross legged. There was dirt smearing the darker skinned youth’s face and atop his forehead were a sort of goggles that seemed to serve no purpose. There was a charming grin on his face and he leaned forward resting his palms on his worn boots.

"So, sir guarrdi...how do you come to this place? You are a guarrdi right? You have to be..." he seemed to think for a moment and then winked as he tapped the side of his head, "No person of the Sands would go running around in the sun like that."

Langredoc looked confused at the consistent use of the word that was all but normal to the young dweller of the Sands. He smiled and nodded as he realized he was rambling.

"Apologies, a guarrdi is one foreign to the Sands. I don’t mean any disrespect it has just been some time since I’ve seen much other than dust and djinni let alone a visitor from afar! I forget my manners my name is T’akeel, have you a name so that I can use it instead of calling you guarrdi?" he asked with a sunny smile. The young man had indeed been long alone trying to rebuild the tower that had once pulled oil from the earth. He was an odd individual among those of the Sand for he had what had been deemed an unhealthy preoccupation with all things mechanical.

Even though he seemed to flit between topics like a bird from branch to branch the young man was observant. When Langredoc had drawn close T’akeel saw the cracked and bleeding lips. He had seen the burned skin on the larger mans face and hands.

"Ah! I speak too much, before you say anything take some water," said the young Sand dweller and unslung the waterskin, offering it to Langredoc's no doubt eager hands.

"Take as much as you need, yet drink slowly for you will do more harm to yourself if you do it too quickly," advised T'akeel in a sagely tone.
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

Most words passed the young warrior like the hot wind only adding to his slight confusion, but some stuck.

Guarrdi is stranger... that could be bad..but so far so good. What is a djin ? Water.....

He followed the young man called T'akeel and when his .....talking finally ended and Langredoc got hold of the waterskin.
The last words of the young man "Ah! I speak too much, before you say anything take some water. Take as much as you need, yet drink slowly for you will do more harm to yourself if you do it too quickly," advised T'akeel in a sagely tone. Those words where a sound advice... so at first even though he wanted to gobble the fluid away he took some in the palm of his hand and smeared it carefully on his face. It also gave him the change to smell and taste for foreign substances in the water.

Langredoc had stayed alive because of this and he would not change his good habits, even it would mean that he had to torture himself a bit longer.

Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Langredoc heard not a word of T’akeel’s rambling and this was fine enough. What was not good, however, was when the warrior rubbed the water on his face and cracked lips. The young dweller of the Sands grimaced as the large warrior winced ever so slightly. The water would do good going down his throat but on open wounds, that was another story. Despite Langredoc’s caution, there were no impurities or poisons in the water given. The young man was so thrilled that he even had the fortune of meeting a guarrdi that was not immediately on defense and ready to fight. Guarrdi brought new things, things he had never seen or heard of. At the least they had stories, of far off places T’akeel would never lay his own eyes upon.

"Your face is burned and your lips...I have just the thing but first, a name. You have my own, now I just need to know what to call you," T’akeel had used human speech that was accented but understandable should Langredoc take the time to listen. The young man wondered if perhaps the warrior was mute. This would be an odd combination indeed and the thought made the darker skinned youth smile. Even before Langredoc responded, T’akeel took from the pouch slung over his shoulder a sealed container of pa’au paste that would alleviate the burns and minor splitting of his lips.
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

Nothing strange, at least nothing that I know.... After this thought he started to drink, slowly. The young man remembered what would happen if he would drink to fast. And water was to precious to waste.

Your face is burned and your lips...I have just the thing but first, a name. You have my own, now I just need to know what to call you," T’akeel said.

Oi, the youth can actually speak more normal as well....

After a flicker of thought, Langredoc dedecideo answer the suntanned youth. "My name is Langredoc...."

After that he returned his attention to the water until the stranger took something like a paste out of his backpack. It smelled funny and it looked like something one of those witches would put on wounds, so even though he felt a bit reluctand...... He still accepted it. Better be smart, accept that the boy knew how to tread wounds caused by the yellow monster in the sky. Langredoc wondered a bit, he had never seen the sun burn so hot in his life.

"Where is this place ?" he asked. "And where is the nearest town ?" after a flicker... "And thanks for the help."

Now feeling a tat better Langredoc checked his weapons, he was a bit uneasy about this place. His gut feeling told him that outside into the suncovered burning lands there was something special, and only the Red Warrior would know what it was he assumed. A smart man would return to civilization and run back to Dort as soon as popossible. But deep inside he was a bit curious about this new land and its people. He looked at the sun tanned young man and tried to imagine how a woman would look like with a skin like that. The thought brought a smile on his face, but the pain of his lips made him return to drinking the water.

He would see what the day would bring to him.

For now he did not have to worry about paid asassassins from his former master it seemed. Nor about other dangers.... what not stopped his virgil though.

Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Langredoc gave his name and T’akeel nodded with a smile. He was ecstatic that he had someone likely from beyond the seas to speak with. There were so many things this man could tell him, of the Islands of the Empire. Perhaps even something of the Eastern Continent? No one had brought back tales of these things. Nevertheless he handed the pa’au to the guarrdi so that he could see to his burns. Almost immediately he laughed good naturedly.

"No, that’s not the way at all! You’ll waste it all if you do it like that!" laughed T’akeel as he saw Langredoc’s unpracticed hand begin to slather the pa’au on his burns. The Dortman looked on as the Sand dwelling youth demonstrated how to apply the paste to the sun burned portions of his flesh without using the actual concoction. After it was applied, it served to lessen the discomfort of exposed skin to the rough surface of his armor and cloth. The warrior drank afterward slowly to let the liquid hydrate him. Though it was simple water, the effects were almost immediate. He felt some of the effects of the sun wither away like the dust in the wind.

T’akeel listened patiently to the questions posed him and gave another smile at the words of thanks. He stood, quite abruptly upsetting the dog that had just settled next to him. He bade Langredoc to look to the horizon shielding his eyes and indicated the sands.

"These lands are named Terra Incognita. You are a short distance from Sabata but I can see you to the town myself possibly," the young man had neither taken his hand from shielding his eyes, nor his very eyes from the watery view of the horizon, “You are ill equipped to make the journey. In this place you have to bend your will to match that of the Sands or they will break you.”

With this T’akeel arched an eyebrow and sent a glance over to his side at the taller young man.

"That is unless a dragon doesn’t snap you up or you get bewitched by one of the spirits roaming the sands. Djinni we call them and they love to stir all kinds of mischief," he did not hold back this last bit of commentary because the man did not look as if he were afraid of such things. T’akeel hadn’t seen much by the way of emotion from the other man. That was until he let a smile slip. The young man took this as Langredoc’s seal of approval. If the Sand dwelling youth knew the other man’s thoughts he likely would have laughed.

"So, Lan-gre-doc," said T’akeel haltingly wrapping his mouth around the foreign sounding name, "Let us go shall we?"
Last edited by Talanwei Fortisse on Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

OOC: Moving to a new home/country took me a bit more time then expected. Sorry for that.

IC:

The warrior allowed the enthusiastic young man to apply the cream on his face. Its effects where almost immediately and relieved the burns Langredoc had. The young man went on with talking, and talking and talking and.... It actually brought a smile on the Warriors face again. Although some of the words where totally foreign to him. "Terra Incognita, "Djinni" all strange words who did not ring any bell. But Dragons... he had heard of Dragons in children stories. Somehow the idea of children stories.... scary children stories coming to live was not something he was looking forward to. But a town called Sabata was nearby. So that would be better... as the boy said he was ill prepared to face a country like this. Maybe it would not break him, but it could surely kill him, he concluded.

With a quick glance to the boy he smiled and said "We go..."

Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

T’akeel was not looking at much aside from the horizon. The young sand dweller did not see the man’s second smile because he was absorbed in figuring how to get back to Sabata without exhausting the water and food he had brought. It would not be impossible but he could not foolishly squander his supplies. Nodding, satisfied with his conclusion, the young man turned to Langredoc. Pulling a piece of cloth from his belt, T’akeel made it damp with his water, just enough to cool the cloth but not enough to make it drip. He bade Langredoc closer and with a few deft twists gave the taller man the approximation of a head wrap. The cloth was enough to ward off sun sickness and keeping the large man drinking would ensure his well being.

"Indeed, we shall take a brisk pace and it should take no time at all," said T’akeel and began to walk, his dog falling into step at his heel. Looking back at Langredoc he seemed to measure the larger man up, "If you need water just let me know. As a warrior, you know not to overindulge in most aspects I would assume. The same ideal holds true in this place because if you do it may mean your death."

T’akeel’s earlier tones made him seem jovial and perhaps a bit careless. However these words held gravity and a solemnity that most did not figure the eccentric youth to possess. Just around the highest wall of the broken building, a beast of burden was tethered. The camel was too old and small to be a proper riding steed but still hardy enough to pack along the odds and ends T’akeel amassed during his wanderings. The olive skinned youth strapped goggles on his face that made him look as a sort of insect and grinned. Without more talking he took the reins on the beast and began to walk with Langredoc following behind.

***~~*~~***

A few burns after the two departed and began to fade into the liquid horizon a shape seemed to melt around the wall. The man was clothed in robes the color of the sands and a wrap covering face and almost all of his hair. As he pulled down the cloth from his mouth it revealed a deep brown beard that was cropped close to his cheek. A slim curved blade hung at his side and its leather wrapped hilt was well worn from being gripped often. He smelled the air, looked at the tracks left by the taller warrior and the young man.

From his stance and ease of countenance, he was acquainted with the Sands intimately. He treaded with the careful step of a native and Langredoc had been followed by this man. The reasons were remnant from an earlier time in Langredoc's life. Crown had exchanged hands and not much had been told to this hired sword aside from the fact that his target needed to die.

Among the few facts given (the bearded swordsman took them as fact for when one is a hired blade the clients word is purely such) were that the quarry was a deserting soldier and a traitor to his lord. It was no matter, Langredoc was guarrdi and the less that sullied the Sands the better. This man himself had once been regarded as a guarrdi but that was many yahren past, when he was but a child in a strange place. Things had changed, he had gained respect and a reputation. Nevertheless the small window of opportunity to strike had passed once Langredoc made contact with the young boy. Being a hired killer did not mean he had to slay innocents, so he would follow the two along the desert just far enough to not be detected yet close enough to keep their trail.
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

Langredoc started to like the young man. Although he was a bit careless in accepting people like that. With a shrug he accepted the fact that he was far away from home. At least nobody would know where he was. After all he did not know clearly himself. The piece of cloth around his head made him probably look funny, but Langredoc assumed that it was to protect him against the blistering sun.

While outside the building he got a creepy feeling while checking the horizon. Although he always trusted his instincts, did it sound very odd now that he would be in danger. So Langredoc assumed that it would be the danger's provided by this strange land, things called Diens and other things.

He shook his head to get rid of the feeling and then he almost bumped into the smelly beast with humps. And with a quick jump Langredoc backed off.

"Uh, what the .......... " he said while his eyes checked out the strange creature that made funny noises while being handled by the young guy. And the smell...... well Langredoc, quickly removed his hand from a sword hilt to cover his nose.

"What kind of a creature is this ?!!!??" He asked the young man, his voice a bit dim because he held his hand in front of it. And it did also not help that the eyes of the young man where covered with .... something..

But while the young man started to move on, probably while telling what the creature was, and what the sky was and several other things.....Langredoc did not give the full attention it actually deserved, while he followed, with a clear distance between him and the .... thing with humps.

Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

ooc: Argh! Sorry Langredoc, RL drama and silliness but I'm going to make sure I give you the attention you deserve :wink:

[hr]While Langredoc was stuck in thought he nearly bumped into the camel before him and his leap backward and his exclamation nearly made T’akeel double over with laughter. With this the dog skipped around wagging its tail and barked happily. The young Sand dweller leaned against the camels side and it groaned its displeasure which further startled the warrior. When Langredoc’s nose wrinkled, T’akeel looked at the beast and figured that it would possibly smell odd to a guarrdi. When confronted with questions the young man lifted the goggles from his eyes and ceased his laughter. With a shake of his head, T’akeel patted the camel.

"This, my friend, is a camel. Think of it as an odd looking...ho-rse. Braghim is harmless, a little slow witted but harmless," said the olive skinned youth and then patted his sand colored dog, "Oh and this is Jezmet. Unlike Braghim, he knows exactly what he’s doing. That makes him all the more troublesome."

This last utterance was capped with a wink and he pushed the goggles back over his eyes. They began to walk again but T’akeel was silent so there was not much for Langredoc to pay attention to. Despite the moment of mirth, something was not sitting well with the young wanderer. He felt like there was someone watching, lurking. In the Sands, however, this could be anything. If a djinni were to attack the pair, there would be nothing either of them could do so he tried to ignore the nagging suspicion.

***~~*~~***

Behind them, taking great pains to ensure concealment, the man still followed.[/hr]
Last edited by Talanwei Fortisse on Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

"This, my friend, is a camel. Think of it as an odd looking...ho-rse. Braghim is harmless, a little slow witted but harmless," said the olive skinned youth and then patted his sand colored dog, "Oh and this is Jezmet. Unlike Braghim, he knows exactly what he’s doing. That makes him all the more troublesome."

Langredoc listened to the words but his face told clearly that he would never see this smelly humpbacked animal like a horse.....

"Horses are not dim witted" he remarked dry lee. But the dog was a total different story, he loved dogs. They always had been his friends in the mercenary camp. Dogs never betrayed people and they stayed friends always. So the dog was greeted with a smile.

"Hello Jezmet, nice to meet you." he said wile offering his hand to the animal to see if he would come to greet him while he walked on.

"Dogs are good and loyal friends." he muttered sofly not realy against anybody. Then his eyes darted around again. Scanning the surroundings. Langredoc felt uneasy and he hated that. But the land was to hot to his taste, the ground to soft. The sun to bright, he had no horse and something was wrong. It made him very jumpy, and his eyes started to tear from the glare of the sun while he scanned the horizon.

"Some would describe this land as a hell itself. I am not able to see anything and still I have a feeling that something is there.... How long until we reach the city ??" he said to the young man.

"The faster we are away from this ..... this oven the better."

Langredoc checked his weapons and took some water. Even talking drained the moist from your body. He would really love to have a horse and plain fields and hills with grass. Even winter would be better then this.

The Red Warrior guides my steps...... Ill kick his ass when I meet him...

Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Langredoc had misunderstood him; that much was certain by his remark T’akeel surmised. It was only the camel that was dim witted not horses. He could have taken offense but he could tell the man’s fondness for horses fueled the dry remark so he simply smiled to himself. When the tall warrior beckoned to the dog, Jezmet readily went to his hand and sniffed it interestedly and the furry shock of a tail the animal had set to wagging at a steady pace. As the warrior patted the dog and scratched behind his ears, favor was won in this simple gesture. Again, T’akeel looked back to see this and grinned.

"He likes you a great deal, you don’t speak much but I can understand such things. Your eyes are truthful and you seem just. Jezmet has never been a bad judge of character so I will trust you Langredoc," said T’akeel seeming to punctuate this with a nod, "as for your unease I share it with my own. I know not what is in the dunes but I feel we must get out of this open land as quickly as possible. It should take a few marks to reach Sabata."

With this, they began a quicker pace and one that Langredoc had a bit more difficulty following but managed to at least match so that he was not falling behind. Soon in the liquid distance, the city was revealed though the wavering heat. It was closer than Langredoc had surmised but it could not have seemed farther. After a mark it seemed as if it would never come closer. If he looked at the youth, there was a light sheen to his skin as he sweated lightly. The warrior was being slowly baked in the heat and if he had not happened upon his new companion, he would have surely been dead.

Water was given as needed and it was more frequently than T’akeel would have liked for the encumbered warrior but he was not angry of this. The youth couldn’t expect him to be used to the devilish sun in such a short time. Within two marks, they had reached the outskirts of the city. Things were slower paced than the center of the city and it was better this way for the both of them. Soon they had reached the building that T’akeel called home and it was a squat building that was nestled with more of its same construction. It was certainly no lords estate but the young man indicated it proudly.

"This is my home!" said T’akeel happily. Thankfully the sun had reached its apex and was on the down swing of its journey through the sky. At the sound of his voice another called in reply from within.

"T’akeel!! Where have you been?! I have been looking all...!" the voice was female, older by a few yahren than either man and it became increasingly louder as she came to the entrance of the home which already had candles burning from within. Her form was framed at the door when her tirade was cut to an abrupt halt when she saw the man standing next to T’akeel. He may as well have been a half cooked dragonling to the woman. Her expression was one of shock and her almond shaped eyes were wide with it. She blinked over dark green eyes framed in dark lashes and her lustrous blue-black hair hung down to her shoulders where it was loosely bound.

Langredoc was wondering what a woman with the color of skin the shade of T’akeel’s and this woman was a perfect example. She was taller than the young man by an inch or so and slight in build with only the merest of womanly curves that showcased her femininity. Though a bit lacking in both bosom and curvature, the woman’s face was beautiful in a haunting way that overcame her physical shortcomings. In her dextrous long fingered hands was a small knife that she had been using to prepare a dinner. She turned her dark eyes toward T’akeel narrowing them with a frown. Almost as if Langredoc was not there she hissed.

"What trouble have you gotten yourself into this time?" said the woman in a language the warrior did not recognize. T’akeel was grinning foolishly and rubbed the back of his head with a sheepish manner.

"This man was wandering about the dunes Neziah! If I would have left him his bones would have been picked clean by vultures by now!" said T’akeel gesturing to the man at his side. Her expression softened as she looked at his sunburned face and hands but the steel in her demeanor returned when she looked at T’akeel.

"You will bring down misfortune on us with your curious nature! How do you know he’s not possessed by a djinni, Hm? Besides he is guarrdi!" Neziah said casting a furtive glance at the large warrior. The woman was intimidated by Langredoc but did a decent job of masking it with a casual superstition.

"Sister you worry too much! Jezmet would have never allowed him near me if he was djinni-ridden!" laughed the young man jovially, “We are both starving and he could use a trip to the bath house after I tend to his burns..."

T’akeel’s sister sighed and gave polite smile that did not reach her eyes to Langredoc. Neziah gave a slight incline of her head to him not quite willing to speak just yet. She turned and entered the house to finish cooking for three instead of two. The Sand dwelling youth looked at his companions, both man and beast.

"That," he indicated the retreating figure of the woman before them, “is my sister Neziah."

T’akeel shook his head and sighed, "Sometimes I wonder if she has dragon blood in her veins with that temper of hers...come let us get you fed."

Again he smiled with the goggles perched atop his head and dust crusting his hair.

***~~*~~***

Langredoc’s pursuer was quite adept and slid into a gap between homes to listen to their conversation. Now there was a woman to worry about and the middle aged man shook his head. How many were to die this eveningtide, he wondered. He would likely have to poison the dog to silence it if he were to slip into the home to kill his quarry. Then hopefully neither would wake so he did not have to kill the woman or the man that lived there. It was then that he heard them speak of a visit to the bath house. It was there that he would lure the man out. Threats, warrior’s honor, it was no matter but he would make sure that he had his chance. With a smile, he made his way to the bathhouses ahead of them. He would already be relaxed and ready when the time came.
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

Langredoc knew one thing, he hated the sun. He disliked this land but so far the people looked strange but he liked them. If the would all be like T'akeel, something that he doubted. It was hard to force his body to walk on, the sun draining every drip of moist of his body and all the skin that was not hidden from the radiation got red and blisters.
But T'akeel was a good guide, he knew when to give water, and Langredoc never asked for it, knowing that it had to last until they arrived. It only took a few marks like the young man had promised but it seemed days to the warrior.

When they finally arrived at in the city and moved on to the young man's house he thanked the Red Warrior that he made it. But when the older and clearly female version of T'akeel came out of the house he wondered if he had thanked him to early.

The young man and what later turned out to be his older sister, had a fight... discussion about him while ignoring most of his presense, She called him possessed and a gaurrdi again. At least she was careful something that Langredoc liked, and she was good looking, actually very good looking in a special way. If she would be less fierce looking she would be beautiful he concluded. He waited patiently until she ran back inside the house.

He just smiled when T'akeel explained his sister to him.

Just before Langredoc entered the house he decided against it. He liked these people, and friends you bury. Thats what life in a mercenary camp had taught him, without thinking he touched the pouch around his neck, seventeen coins, seventeen graves. It had been a old habit among mercenaries to keep a coin around your neck in the hope that the person would give you a decent burial before he took the coin. Langredoc always kept the coins of those he liked. Besides that, the lady had not invited him in, and he would never enter a house without being invited. A sad smile appeared on his face and he turned to T'akeel.

"Ta'keel, your sisters fire is only overshadowed by her beauty and I would dearly wish that I could spend time here, with you two in peace. But for me peace does not seems to be a option, we both have the feeling that something is following us. And we both know its me. Your sister is right, although I am not possest I am still a danger to the house. So I thank you for helping and teaching me a valuable lesson about this sun. But our paths shall split now and I take the danger with me. To meet it somewhere far away where the blood spilled shall be rarely missed."

He smiled and bowed for the young man, and waved goodbye to the dog. His body still felt like being raw meat in the sun, but he would manage, he always had. So he just made the next step on the endless flight until he would find a save place. If that would exist anyway. Automatically he checked his weapons, safety was in your ability to kill.

Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

For a few moments, T’akeel was flabbergasted at Langredoc’s response. He neither wanted him to leave nor did he think the warrior quite realized the implications of such an undertaking. There were those that would try to swindle him, perhaps those that wouldn’t have his best interests in mind. If T’akeel knew anything it was that guarrdi, especially those unacquainted with Sabata, needed someone like him. Nevertheless, his mind was going over all these concerns and his mouth was doing nothing but stammering.

Neziah was leaning against the wall inside the home listening quietly. In truth she was mildly surprised by the guarrdi’s response. It was surprisingly thoughtful yet her mind more cautious than she might have liked. If danger followed him around, then it was certainly not a good idea to keep him around. No matter her logic however, Neziah had a side to her that waxed maternal and she remembered how Langredoc had looked. The man looked like the sun had cooked him and his cracked lips from the heat. The man was out of his element and it was simple compassion that spurned the woman to speak.

"Surely a man such as yourself knows the risks and advantages of being in a city alone. I understand your concern but I cannot say that I deserve to be underestimated. The very least you can allow is that I fill up your belly before you go wandering Sabata in the dead of night Langredoc. This town does not take well to its own inhabitants let alone a stranger who knows less. If you must go, then go but you will do so well fed," said Neziah with her hands on her hips. There was a serious expression she wore that brooked no room for argument. Neziah half turned to make sure he was following her inside.
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

While Langredoc watched the young man's face it clearly showed his surprise. He could not resist the urge to pad the young man on the shoulder. So he did.

The voice of Neziah made him hesitate to leave at once, and the words she spoke where clear and true. But no words would be so important as the choice that a man had to make to make sure that he and his people would be save.

So while she moved inside he responded to her with a bit of a bitter tone in his voice "I bet that Sabata treats its strangers in the same way as every other city does. My life shall be in my own hands, and I shall use the weapons I have born with. I don't repay kindness with danger, or even worse with death. I shall accept one meal because I need it, and it gives me a excuse to enjoy your company. But after that, I shall leave and never look back. Whatever the Red Warrior has in stock for me, I shall face it alone as I have always done."

He took a seat , placed his weapons well in arms reach made sure that his eyes could see all entrances to the house. Langredoc was tired and weary, but still he wore a smile on his face and tried not to show that he was very uneasy.

While attending the meal he started to ask T'akeel questions about the surroundings, the different kind of people. The different kind of criminals and dangerous people to shun. Places to sleep, where to think about when sleeping in the open. And if he knew a road to the nearest harbor to escape from this country. Or a other place to go. Preferable a place where they had horses.

He ate everything that they offered him. Al though it was sometimes clear that it was strange food, and even not really nice sometimes. But he never complained and when it tasted good he would express that.

Inside his mind he was franticly searching for a way to express his gratitude to this people.
Last edited by Langredoc on Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Away from the eyes of any that would care to look, Langredoc’s pursuer listened to the conversation within the squat home with lazy interest. It was clear that the young man was wound quite tightly and suspected danger. It was no matter, overexcitement led to easily exploited mistakes. Langredoc’s insistence to leave their company was only making his would be killers job all the more easy. He smiled almost to himself as he waited.

***~~*~~***

Neziah took her place finishing up food for her brother and his new companion. A bemused look painted her features as she gazed over at Langredoc’s words. The tone sounded a bit forced but he spoke of an excuse to enjoy her company. So he was a man after all. As she looked over him, the tall warrior seemed as if he was normal perhaps in his own country. However in the sands he was as unusual as rains coming in the middle of Chril. This exotic quality made him a queer mixture of appealing and repellant at the same time, the latter largely due to the stigma that foreigners were faced with. In reply to his words she merely shrugged.

"Do as you wish, my only obligation is to feed you. You will soon see for yourself how different a place like Sabata is," said Neziah as she turned once again to the food to dole out helpings to both he and T’akeel. The olive skinned young man leaned conspiratorially close to Langredoc with an arched eyebrow.

"I told you she was a dragoness," he whispered and ducked as she swung a wooden spoon at him. Neziah handed them each their meals. It was simple yet filled with enough flavour and spices to be quite pleasing to the palate. The meat had been cooking most of the day so it was tender and was coupled with a soup made with vegetables and further flavored by the broth of the former. With a loaf of bread about a day or so old, it was nothing far out of the ordinary. Yet Neziah laughed as he inspected everything with a cautious eye and tested each before he committed to enjoying his meal. Even as he was eating, Langredoc was more full of questions than he had been since T’akeel met him. In the face of the insistent questioning, the young man waved these off until he had his fill of food.

"Now a port is easy enough to find, you follow the merchants next morningtide and you’ll find it soon enough. I say your first venture would take you to the bathhouses to clean yourself up. Then lodgings at the Laughing Dwimmerwick are the most secure and they are near the docks. They may be able to find you room and board for a circlet or two. You can find more modest lodgings for less banner but you also have more chance of someone robbing you blind. Sleeping out in the open air would likely have you waking in the afterlife, what with the sort that wander about at gravetide. As for the criminals and such you would do well to suspect most you meet capable of ill deeds especially to a stranger," said T’akeel at length. He laughed when Langredoc spoke of horses. The warrior seemed to love them as much as he did dogs.

"The nearest place with horses would be Dragon’s Keep and it is nearly a weeks ride away. You’ll have to make do with one of our hump backed friends if you want to ride," he said rubbing his nose absently, then with a smile he added, "but I suspect you’d walk the entire way than ride one of those eh?"

Jezmet sat at the young man’s side on the floor of the meager building and looked absorbed with the casual ruffling of the fur behind his ears. Neziah was sitting in a stool that was furnished purely in the interest of sturdy function. The look in her eyes bespoke deep thought and she stirred herself from her self imposed reverie to address Langredoc.

"So there you have it. Off with you then. Should we never meet again, I bid you well on your travels," said Neziah as she stood, retrieved his plate and turned from him. Truth be told the woman was worried for him, again a maternal instinct that seemed innate to her. Nevertheless, she did not speak these things to the warrior who would likely not wish to be fretted over. With her words T’akeel stood up in a rush as if remembering his manners. He bowed deeply and straightened so quickly his goggles nearly flew from his head.

"I wish you well also Langredoc and I would hope we DO meet again," said the young man casting a dark look at his sisters feigned indifference, "I would offer an escort but I scarcely believe you would take it...”

It was an unvoiced offer, for the warrior to respond to or ignore. Nevertheless he was free to leave.
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

After a quick freshing up Langredoc decided that it was time to leave. Old habits never die, so checked if his weapons where ready. He felt sad that he had to leave, but that was the story of his life so far. The young man clearly tried to convince him to allow him to join.

And Neziah.... wel she was smart enough to know that strangers where bad luck anyway.
Langredoc, wondered for a flicker if she had bad experiences in the past, but he would never ask anyway. The past is water under a bridge.

He left a few coins on the table.

"I have not much money, and you two can probably use it better then me anyway." he said slowly. Then he turned to the young man.
"And no T’akeel I won't take you with me. I prefer the worry over my own life, and not about those who I like. My path is uncertain. but maybe it shall return here. Something that I would appreciate."
Then he smiled sadly with a tiny bit of a grin hidden in it.
"I don't think that you sister is that dangerous though. She just knows how to survive, and how to take care of you. There is no space in her life for a other, until she decides that its time. And then she shall cradle her own children and keep them save."

The warrior picked up his equipment and walked away, he did not look back. There was a town to explore, dangers to be avoided and maybe some fun to be had.

Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Langredoc’s edge to his voice had softened as he spoke and the two listened to him patiently. The warrior had a kind demeanor and it puzzled T’akeel that he would constantly be in danger as he claimed. The brown skinned young man raised his hands in surrender.

"I understand, I will not argue with you any further on it," said T’akeel with a smile. As T’akeel watched Langredoc put coin on the table, his eyes widened in shock and he looked over to his sister. Neziah was slowly washing a dish in a small basin when she heard the clink of coins on her table. Not all the words reached her ears but she turned as he continued. She put her bronzed hands on her hips and her head tilted as he listened. Neziah was in shock. Was this an inn? Did he feel he needed to make payment for a meal? Her kindness brooked no solicitation, it was insulting that he thought that they needed his coin. The warrior had turned and left before the dark woman found her voice. She threw down a cloth and stalked toward the table palming the coins.

"Sister, he has no idea!! Don’t..." started T’akeel before he had to duck the spoon he had dodged earlier. This time however it had been thrown. Neziah walked out into the street and extended her hand that held the coins before she spoke.

"Stop!" Neziah’s irritation was evident in her voice and halted the warrior in his tracks.

"I will not accept payment for helping you. I do not accept charity nor do I need it," said Neziah nearly fuming. Her common was less practiced than T’akeel’s and in her indignation her accent was heavier but still quite understandable. Again she jerked her hand toward him insisting that he take the coin. Expecting an open hand she waited for a flicker, otherwise she dropped the coin to the dusty ground. Turning she started to walk away, traveled a few steps and turned to him with her eyes shimmering with a mix of anger and something the warrior could not place.

"You...how dare....I..." she started, voice thick with emotion. Thinking better of it she gathered herself up and set her shoulders and gestured to him with both of her hands, "Bah! May the Sands take you!"

This time it was the raven haired woman’s turn to walk away without looking back.
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

He turned around at the command of the woman. Listening to her words as being slashed by a whip. The extended his hand to receive the coins. He placed the coins in a small pouch. And the pouch carefully on the ground.

Langedoc sighed and shrugged his shoulders at the reaction of the two people. His eyes filled with sadness and his face becoming like a mask of stone. Not so different as at home after all he decided. His voice had a slide metal edge in it, when he responded. As he was hurt himself by their assume that he wanted to pay for the meal. He looked down on the coins that represented all the money he had in this life.

"Lady, I would never insult you by paying. This is merely a gift from a man who has nothing else to offer then friendship and coins. Your brother probably saved my life in the sands and now I leave this place and I my friendship and my money shall stay. And I hope that the coins do a good job, better then when they are taken from my corpse by someone else. I hope that all your your wishes in life shall be for filled."

He nodded towards the young man.

"T'akeel, thanks for the support and friendship. If you wish you can leave the coins on the street, but I would prefer you to take it as a token of friendship."

He sighed again.

And spoke the chant of the Red Warrior before battle.

"The Red Warrior be on your side as death is lighter then a feather and duty heavier then a mountain. The warrior stands."

He bowed to the young man, and the back of the woman.
Last edited by Langredoc on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

T’akeel watched as Langredoc spoke shaking his head. The guarrdi was naïve, a bit too trusting for a man of the Red Warrior. If he were so eager to part with his coin he would soon have none. Truthfully, neither he nor Neziah needed the money and though he was less adamant about the refusal of what turned out to be a token of goodwill, the young Sand dweller did not want to take the purse. However Langredoc seemed determined to throw away the money if they did not take it. Neziah took a breath and looked as if she was preparing to verbally lash the larger man again but this time T’akeel raised his hand and to his surprise it silenced her. He spoke purposefully in the tongue Langredoc could not understand when he spoke to his sister.

"Leave him be Neziah! He wants to show his gratitude with coin so he can do whatever he wishes with his money. We will just donate it to a shrine of the Red Warrior or something and ask him to bid Langredoc well on his journey, said T’akeel irritably. She was so proud and headstrong. So much so that she could not take a simple courtesy without questioning the motive behind it. He turned to Langredoc with a solemn expression and walked toward the warrior. He bent and retrieved the purse of coin and touched it to his forehead.

"Though I understand your gesture Langredoc, I cannot say that I entirely disagree with Neziah. We have no need of coin and to be honest your friendship is enough to pay for a meal and a spot of help when you were in need...however since I see you are just as stubborn as she is, I will accept the courtesy as it was meant and just as simply," with this T’akeel extended a hand that was accepted readily enough and the two clasped hands. Despite herself, Neziah unfolded her arms and stood by her brother.

"I bid you farewell Langredoc and I wish you the best," said the youth and Jezmet seemed to bark his agreement, "but I ask, will you go to the bathhouse or to find lodgings?"
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

OOC: This shall be the last post in the thread because langredoc shall meet up with H'saan Ali

Langredoc forced a smile on his face when he answered the youngster "I don't know where I go. I guess that I have to earn some new coin, and find my way out of the sands. I bit you farewell, maybe the Red Warrior protect you. And may our paths cross again."

He bowed to the youngster and the lady and turned away with long strides and a heavy hearth.
Last edited by Langredoc on Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Sands Archive”