Consul's Office [Sam 29 ET]

Moderator: Mods

Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Consul's Office [Sam 29 ET]

Post by Yin Lorin »

The evening light was different here then back home. There was more red in the sky and it seemed to go a shade of purple on the distant horizon where the night was approaching. The night got colder quickly as well, the temperature dropped drastically, going from a tolerable day to a chilly night.

The hall echoed with Yin’s footfalls. He was counting the doors as he walked. He was just passing number eight when he stopped at nine. He smoothed out his clothing and took a long breath. He had to keep his calm, keep his mind even and clear. He had a number of questions and they all needed answers before he made any choice. He could not just go leaping into any wars without knowing what the battleground was at first.

He had bought some clothing so he could look presentable, just something nicer then what he had. It was all cut in the local fashion so he was not used to how the doublet fit and how tight the hose were, he was grateful there were some trousers to go with them, but they bunched just above the knee giving them a puffy look. He also did not think purple was the most flattering color on him but it was what they had in his size and cut. He also brushed his hair and had what could be put in a ponytail done so, making a small ponytail at the back of his head and some blond tufts at his neck.

He would have stopped by the Dragon to meet the other men there, but he had a number of questions still mingling in his head, and even more now that he had been around the town. he had to come back and see the Consul, he had to get some answers.

She was a dragon, he had to remember that. She was dangerous and cruel, at a woman whole and spit her out. If anything, the One was warning him of her. He had to keep his head and not let her draw him out. He was not good at this though, lying and deception. Now was his chance to practice his skill at seeing through lies.

Worst of all, she was from the Mouth. He still remembered what they did, how they shot down that innocent man and how they were going to kill the girl who just wanted into the city. They were strange, and though they worshiped the one, he was always told to be wary of them. They had some shrewd merchants, and their siding with the Duke meant they needed to be beaten to know who the real king was. And the woman in here hated the king, at least she did in the dream.

No, she hated that he ruined the country. That was important.

He lifted his hand and knocked solidly on the door.
Last edited by Yin Lorin on Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
Rosalie Marcada
Baroness Marcada, Ambassador World's Mouth

Post by Rosalie Marcada »

It had been an incredible long day for the Consul of the Mouth. These were tense times. Rosalie felt that everything depended on everything, like a house of cards. She was gambling heavily by assuming things she had no orders for, just her gut instinct as a Merchant Princess. However, that is how one gets rich, she reflected, trying to calm her own nerves.

The bad thing about it was that in between being engaged with the Baron and dealing with intriguing Major Domus who, in private, she could admit she found horribly attractive (though even under torture she'd deny it), and all the excitement of the last days, Rosalie found that she had no time for her lover, except to sniff on flower she had left her. Kaspar had hinted he would not visit her while her brother was in town and she resented both of them for that. How dare they mettle with her life, her wishes, her wants. How dare they leave her vulnerable for other temptations.

Rosalie was musing in her office when a knock distracted her. "Come in," she called, curious to the caller.
[size=84][color=darkred]This character has resigned and is now a NPC.[/color]
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

He straitened out his clothing, making sure he was presentable, then opened the door. It did not open exactly at first, he almost ran into the door before realizing it needed the latch pressed a bit harder. When he did open it he pushed it a little too hard and had to catch the door before it banged hard against the wall.

He stood at the threshold looking as if he was about to fall into the room. He stood strait when he noticed the consul, and gave her a swift bow. “Lady Lo Russo, I hope I am not interrupting anything?” He asked shutting the door behind him. “I had some questions about this land, and I was directed to you for the answers. Questions about the Duke, and about the Citadel. Do you have time?”

She was not taller then him, they would stand looking eye to eye, this was a relief. Everyone seemed taller then him, and he hoped one day he would grow into his position, figuratively and literally. For now though, the size thing would not change the field. He just had to remember what she could be, if she was not that already.

He waited her reply before entering the room any further.

Rosalie Marcada

Rosalie arched an eyebrow as the young paladin came stumbling into her office. Truly, she did not mind men falling at her feet, but she'd rather it was for different reasons. "Of course I have time," she purred, indicating Yin should take a seat, "Though I may prove of limited value. What is it that you desire to know of the Citadel?" She wondered who had send him to her. It at last indicated that they thought her on top of information, which was an indirect compliment. It stroked her ego.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin nodded to the woman across from him and took his seat. The room was over done compared to the Paladin’s room. It was place to work, an office, but it smelled of roses and flowers and other things, perhaps fruit? He was not sure, and he did not know how they could do anything in such an environment.

The Lady was beautiful, of this there was no doubt. He tried not to let that sidetrack his thoughts. “Yes, I have many questions, and it seems that no matter who I ask, no one appears to know the answers.” He said evenly and bluntly. “I guess they feel if anyone should know it would be the woman who was in charge. That was the way it was at my house, and I guess that is the way it is everyplace else.”

He tried to look comfortable in the clothing, but really they were not very comfortable at all. “What happened in the portal room? Why was it in the state it is in? How many troops do we have here and do you have any of the airships here or coming here?”

He leaned a little forward, his eyes were intent, not wild, but very thoughtful. “Did you know the reason for Lady… for miss Tinally’s visit? What are your plans now knowing what the King wishes?” He stroked his chin, the sleeve of his jacket falling a bit to expose the red hand print.

“And the people here, how attached to their gods are they? Is it as devoted a faith as our own? What do you know of them?” He asked, looking past her a moment to the pictures on her wall. “And the Duke of the Dort-lands, what is he like? Why is he recruiting men to fight for him?” He looked at Rosalie finally, pausing a moment as he looked into her lovely eyes. She may be deadly as poison but poison never looked so tasty. “I hope my questions are not too much.”

Rosalie Marcada

Rosalie arched an eyebrow. Everybody knowing women are in charge? How novel. Of course they are but in the Mouth we keep that from our gents. "I see," she said politely, before she was buried under a barrage of questions, fired to her at an incredible speed. The consul resisted the urge to throw up her hands. He was obviously a young puppy (thought the young woman) and overenthusiastic.

"I am afraid, sir Lorin, that I do not have all the answers you seek, although I would greatly wish to know them as well," Rosalie answered him mildly "What happened in the portal room? We thought it was a natural disaster. Madam D'Alevero claims it was a mage. A disturbing thought to have a foreign mage on Western Kingdom soil, don't you agree? I trust Sir Hagen, who is in charge with our security will get to the bottom of it." Would it not be be wonderful if she could get the paladin fired over this breach of security? Rosalie tried not to get lost in daydreams.

She tilted her head "I am not at liberty to discuss our numbers of troops and the coming and going of future airships, though anyone can tell you the Mardigal has just left for the Mouth, while the Lycos has arrived to take my brother back home. Again, I must urge you to discuss such military issues with Sir Hagen, or if you prefer my brother Ramius. We women do know so little of such matters." Rose gave him an innocent sweet smile, a slight blush on her cheeks. Are you for real? Do you think I'll just hand you over information that means you could potential stop me from securing Pan's Isle as a Mouth colony? Ha! See if you can find out. You'll find my men very close lipped.

"Of course you will have noticed there is a slight division in our embassy between two units of men." Rose leaned forward, knowing it would display her assets just above her neckline to its full effect, the round globes dancing slightly "Such an unfortunate attitude. We are working on closing the divide of course, but it will take time. Having patience with us."

The petite Mouthie lady laughed huskily as he demanded to know about the heathens religions "I do not involve myself with their religion and they allow me mine. That is how it is here, sir Lorin. You would find a better guide in Father Bitalli on any religious matters."

Her dark eyes narrowed as he mentioned the recruiting effort of the Duke von-zu Dort-Billigh. Indeed, why was the man so intent on recruiting men? And why was sir Lorin at all interested in that? Did he suspect anything? "It is said he has a rebellion on his hands" Rosalie shrugged, unable to say if it was the truth or not. For her sake she could only hope it was not for devilish other reasons, but this pups interest in the matter sat ill with her. "He's a very clever man, the Duke," she added "Though I have only met him once."

She eyed the young paladin curiously "Now allow me a question if you please sir Lorin. What are your plans for the future. I can see you are pondering something momentous. Is there aught I can do to help you on your quest?"
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

He nodded sagely at the mention of a foreign mage. “Defiantly, I have seen what those witches can do personally. I saw the elf witch cause the earth to rip under our feet and the temple of the One fall to its foundation in King’s Court.” He frowned, there were also Mouth ships burning and killing good people in the city as well. “If you do not mind my frankness, but that sort of magic should not go unchecked. If it were not for the grace of the One, the temple would not stand again. I am sure you heard of the events that took place there?” He said knowing that such events were sure to have hit everyone.

He understood how she may not be involved with the coming and going of troops. If there was some slight to his position he did not seem to notice it, nodding in agreement with her when she said as much. She had such a demure look when she blushed, he could almost have forgotten who he was dealing with. He had seen her before in dreams, and both times she treated him wickedly. She had gone with the pagans willingly in the tower of shadows, and she spat evil at the Avatar of the one in the neather. He could not forget who he was dealing with. “Of course, I guess I would have to get that information from other sources. Thought Sir Hagan said you had some fifty men, I was just wondering if that included the Mouthies… I mean, well, the Men from World’s Mouth.” And as if he thought of it just a moment too late. “I meant no disrespect.”

“It is just; I can understand the division in your men. I lost some good friends in the war. My family suffered dearly and my brother was killed all because of it.” He said trying to conceal the upset he still felt. “It would be hard for me to put such things behind me. I would think things like this take time, but we are to be one in the church. All mistakes can be forgiven, and the King has forgiven, so should I.” He let out a long breath, he wanted to say more, but something inside him told him not to.

He looked down as she leaned forward, looking away from her ample suggestion. He adjusted his sleeve. “I will speak to the father in time. There is much he has to know about.” He looked to the window, not making contact with those alluring eyes, or her plunging neckline. She was attractive, and it was hard for his young mind not to notice or to dwell on it.

Part of him wanted to take hold of her and kiss her, to toss her on her desk and treat her as the devilish harlot she was. This was something he would need to speak to the father about as well. Such lustful thoughts should not fill the mind of a pious knight, and he could not help but feel bad for having them.

“As for my plans, I have known what I must do for sometime.” He looked back at her this time, trying to keep his eyes from straying to her chest. He hoped he was somewhat successful. “Perhaps you could help me, if you think you could teach me about leading people.” His mind tripped over the idea. She did command great power, and people followed her. He had to learn to do this, to lead others. “I would like to learn to lead other, to command as much respect and admiration as you do. There must be something you could teach me?”

Rosalie Marcada

"Yes, it was in the dispatch and of course.. my brother visited me just recently he.. ah.. was there" Rosalie replied gently, not wanting to remind Yin of the big divide and the fact that Ramius had been in charge of the attack on Kings Court, though perhaps her brother being a military man would help his view of her. She could sense a certain hostility, or perhaps an expectation of evilness that people often had towards the merchants of the Mouth. She could not know that Yin took all his dreams so seriously for she remembered him not, focused as she was on the blue eyes of Andolin. Witches, mages... it caused an excited thrill of horror in her, the unknown calling to her.

Rosalie was no fool and there were little tell tale signs that the young paladin found her attractive. Innocently she took a handkerchief and patted first her cheek and then down to her bosom, hoping to further draw his attention."Leading people," the petite consul sighed "It sounds so devious, so calculated. I prefer to think of it as a matter of the heart. If you have the love of people, their loyalty they will follow you everywhere. First of course, you have to capture their attention."
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

She had captured his and he had to lift his eyes to meet hers when she spoke. He nodded as he listened, trying to keep his mind focused on what was important. “I see, so the people who you lead here all love you? If they do not love you, should they not fear you then?” He asked pondering the question himself.

“How would I gather the attention of others to lead them?” He knew how she would. She was beautiful; it would not be hard to love her and to trust her. Tinally had taught him that lesson, not to trust a woman just because she was pretty. He had to remember that as he sat here with Rosalie.

Rose was a fitting name for her. She was just as regal and just as lovely and fragrant. And just as thorny, he reminded himself.

Rosalie Marcada

"Ah, but is it not so that if they fear you that in the end they will seek to destroy or betray you? You might be building your own grave with such tactics, a monster you cannot control. No, you must always maintain a measure of respect amongst your men for that more than anything will build their loyalty, their love," Rosalie advised, inspired by her own monologue. Her finger trailed from her cheek to her neck, still with the handkerchief at the ready. "You must inspire them to good deeds. Sometimes of course your methods will need to be.. ah.. unconventional."

Her voice took on a husky quality, as she leaned forward once again in shared intimacy with only their desk in between. A desk which looked smooth and so multi functional ... "Now, I hope that you'll forgive me, but I cannot advise you unless you are more specific on precisely what you know you need to do? What goal do you intent to lead people towards, sir Lorin?"
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin’s eyes could not help but follow the handkerchief, but the rose back up as soon as he realized where they were going. He was not going to break his resolve. He listened, focusing his mind on the words she was sharing, the wisdom she was imparting, rather then the woman’s body. “So you lead them to do good, and you inspire them with examples rather then fear.” His mind clicked over the idea, letting it sink in and compare to others he knew who lead with greatness. He looked down at the desk as he thought, not really seeing the desk, his mind in another place.

He looked up again, and blushed seeing her closer then before, leaning back at first, and then settling on just staying in his chair and looking into her eyes. She did have pretty eyes. “I need to Re-Establish the Order of the One. A Paladin order lost to the ages. When I was in King’s Court, I was given the title by Father Ottavio in the presence of the Kingstone Paladin. He charged me to rebuild the order. Again I was given this charge when in the Nether I met some Paladin’s who entered the plane very long ago, and were still fighting there. The One has called me to do this, and so I hope to make myself fit for the task.” His eyes burned with faith, and he leaned closer now, full of his belief.

He spoke low and even, confiding in her as much as she was confiding in him, or at least giving the pretense she was. “I have never led men, and I do not even know how I would gather them to my side. I am not an impressive…” He almost said boy pausing a moment, “…person. I do not know how many would follow me. Nor do I know where to collect people who would be willing to.” He told her, looking out the window in the room. “Do you understand?” He said finally turning back to her, trying to keep his eyes on hers, painfully aware she was a pretty woman.

Rosalie Marcada

"Oh," she gasped huskily, pretending to admiration to make a point "Sir Lorin, the way you just spoke.. so intense. Your voice so.. firm. I think that is the quintessence of being a paladin. Firm with the truth. Firm with leading men. Firm... with the ladies."

She rose from behind her desk and walked around it, gripping his hands "If you speak with such passion how can the men not follow you? You, who burns up with what you believe in. Truly, you've found your voice." Rosalie was close enough for her warm scent of wild thyme to tease his nostrils. Flippantly she sat on the smooth surface of the desk, not letting go of his hands, but waiting patiently for his reply as she looked down upon him, a position the consul realized she liked rather well.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Her voice had an enchanting quality to it, and he was surprised at how she reacted. He did not want to believe her, but she sounded sincere. Part of him was worried, and screaming at him to get out, this part was being silenced by the other part that like looking at her. She was lovely, her dark hair on her milky skin, and her husky voice. Every part of him that was becoming a man was excited by her.

When she took hold of his hands all the little thoughts he was working on in his head stopped and were blown away like scraps of tissue paper caught in a strong wind. He looked at her hands on his, her grip was not strong, but it felt like he could not pull them away. She smelled exotic, like some of the other women he met at the palace when he worked there. It made his mouth dry and his palms sweat, the clothing he was wearing was getting uncomfortably hot.

“Thank you.” He managed finally; his voice was a little weak, so he said it again, this time more clearly and with his own voice. “Thank you Lady Consul.” He added, trying to bring a little more formality into the room. She was very close, and he wanted to put the desk between them again, before he wanted there to be nothing between them.

He stood; looking her directly in the eye, this time, his hand took hold of hers. “Your confidence in me means a lot. I think I understand you now, a little. You would hate a leader who led his people into ruin.” He said slowly, looking into her eyes, trying to see the true woman there. He so desperately wanted there to be something good, something he could trust, to validate these feelings of lust he did not know how to control. “I think I understand why you were so angry. I thank you for your advice, and your encouragement.”

He tried to keep his hands from trembling, and he did not release hers, even though he was done speaking. He stood there, with her on her desk. One part of him wanted to push her away and flee from the room screaming. Another part of him wanted to push her down on the desk and remove that dress that was almost too revealing as it was. Neither side was winning at the moment.

Rosalie Marcada

"Yes," Rosalie confirmed in her low throaty voice, even though she did not recall being angry "You understand me so well, Sir Lorin. " She found she rather liked being the young paladin's muse, though it wasn't pure thoughts that she saw burning in his eyes. "You are most welcome," she breathed.

Then the consul let go of his hands, freeing the poor young lad "You've got the fire now. I trust that you'll find some men willing to follow you in the cause of the One, even on his heathen isle." Take the Kingstone Guards, I don't need them here.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

When she released his hands, he held them in the air for a moment before dropping them to his sides. “Yes, I will look; perhaps there are some who are willing to join me.” He smiled an awkward smile and stepped back, his leg hitting the chair. He paused to turn and make sure he was not knocking anything over.

“I should go, it is getting late, and I am sure you have other affairs to attend to.” He turned to look at her again. “I think you again for your advice. We should chat again another time.” He said and stepped around the chair this time as he moved back.

He pushed a hand through the mop of blond hair on his head and sighed, feeling some relief and some regret at leaving. “I will pray for you, before I sleep tonight.” He added, not knowing exactly what to say. He wanted it to be brave and heroic, but he thought it ended up sounding boyish. “If you need me, just send word.” He added as he reached the door.

On the other side of the door he let out a long breath. His head was swimming with so many thoughts and feelings. He tried to calm his mind, to ease his thought. He did not like feeling this muddled. He looked down and a deep flush rose to his cheeks. With a quick motion he adjusted the trousers and cod piece so he was not so noticeably excited and knew he had to talk to the Father about all of this. He needed to find a way to control these feelings and urges, it was as if they were too powerful.

Rosalie Marcada

"Good bye, sir Lorin," she breathed huskily as he hurried away. Rosalie really had to contain herself till after he closed the door and even then she only shook silently with laughter. Oh, that had been such fun! Now, I hope he has become sensible to my ideas. That would be ever so convenient.

~ Fin!
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Thread skilled!
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Patrician's Ring Archive”