Damsel in Distress (Sam 30th TT) - Open

Moderator: Mods

Post by Guest »

Keeping watch behind his newly acquired companions, Traverse failed to see Rozz go down, but he couldn't fail to hear the Achadhiel hit the floor, followed by his yelp of pain. By the Red Warrior, what has gone amiss now. Traverse took a firm stance, and looked over his shoulder, taking in the scene behind him quickly, Not good.

He heard Rozz's exclamation that there were booby traps, whatever in the seven hells they were, and saw Sarah prepare to strike a light. He turned his head away quickly, back to scanning their rear, keeping his eyes averted from any new light source to protect the night vision that he had.

Well someone sure didn't want them here, and that little welcome present wasn't very pleasant. Wondering what was next, and not really sure he wanted to know, Traverse kept his dark adjusted eyes wide open looking for any trouble that might be following them, or waiting behind them.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

OOC: I am going to assume a bit to speed things up. Feel free to PM me if I assume too much, so I can edit my post.

It was amazing how much blood could flow out of the severed finger, Rozz's heartbeat visible by all, as blood gushed out of the wound with each pulse of his heart, sending numbing pain through the stump. The string landed about a foot from him, draping itself across the rope he had tripped over, the flashes from Sarah's flint and tinder making it appear and disappear in darkness in turns. Then the wick caught flame and shadows danced across the walls, thick smell of burning oil mixing with the salty scent of blood.

The carpet was stained with blood heavily, and not all of it could have come from Rozz. It was hard to judge in the unsteady lamp light, but a trail seemed to be leading towards the door that stood ajar, the red of the carpet slightly darker in places. Light showed that the liquid dripping from the handle was indeed red, though it was thick, much thicker than the blood flowing from young guard's finger. It either was not blood, or had been there for a while now. Meanwhile, Sarah located Rozz's finger close to her, the severed flesh having bounced across the floor.

Traverse had been wise in looking away, yet even with the light coming from behind him, his vision would not be as effective in the darkness as it were but moments before. The pair behind him moved and raised quite the ruckus, but there was something else too. Soft sound of footsteps coming from bellow, from the foyer they have just came from. Then a flicker later it was gone, as if it were just a memory.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.

Post by Guest »

The fleeting sound of soft footsteps from below reached the half giants ears, and although it would have been easy to pass them off as part of the noise behind him, something made the young half giant take note, clearly someone else was about.

Rather than hush the to two behind him, and give away this piece of information that may have been vital, Traverse doubled his efforts to see and hear what was behind them. He didn't wish to peer over his shoulder and diminish his already impaired vision, but his mind raced at what was happening.

It was hard for a half giant to look like anything else, size being against them, but Traverse set his feet as best he could and crouched down, keeping his silhouette as low as possible with the small light from Sarah behind him. He sought a dark, shadowed space to wait, his senses tuned as much as possible to danger, both below them, and maybe from one of the other rooms on this floor. Like a large out of place rock, the young half giant waited, his nerves taunt like a coiled spring.

Post by Guest »

The pain was starting to numb, but was definelty not gone. Everytime he moved his hand with the severed finger, the air shot a stinging pain own his hand. The achadhiel's eyes widened when he noted all the blood that was on the floor. This cannot all be mine... He thought to himself.

Also taking note of the string that was near him, he grabbed it with his good hand and placed one end of it on his severed finger as he pinched it with his thumb to hold it in place as he wrapped it near the end of his stump.

Rozz gritted his teeth and squinted his eyes. Both the pain and the sight of what he would have to live with for the rest of his live haunted him. The achadhiel had so much running through his mind that he didn't even take note of the footsteps below them. Instead, after his tourniquette was tied he stood up and sheithed his sword that he would have used in his bad hand. He picked up and held his other one in his good hand, which happened to be his stronger hand.

The day would come when he could wield two swords again, but now was not that time... his hand was in just to much pain.

"Sarah..." He said in a low voice that was hoarse from his yelling. "Can you place your candle under the tip of my blade for a moment?" Rozz was going to heat up the tip of his sword then place it on the end of his finger to cauterize his wound... it would be painful, but it would stop the bleeding and clot faster.

Post by Guest »

(OOC: Forget what I've done to Rozz's finger. His idea is much better!)

When she saw Rozz's hand, tears began to come from Sarah's eyes. She knew that it must be extremely painful, but she also knew what a blow this would be to his training. If only they could get out of here, the woman could sew the finger, instead of a simple tourniquette. After, it was a simple matter of a long period of healing, for his bones to shape together.

Now, however, was not the time to think of that, especially since the man had just asked her a question. Sarah nodded and brought lamp to sword, just like the achadhiel had asked. After that was heated, the healer made a quick check to see if Traverse was doing alright. Seeing that he was poised in a defensive stance, she guessed that he was trying to remain hidden. The adhiel took the lamp and turned it back to Rozz, so that he could see what he was doing, but also to hide the half-giant further. This way, anyone approaching from behind could not see Traverse, and would be distracted by the lanterns light....unless they had night-vision as well.

Looking back at the achadhiel, Sarah again felt sympathy for him. After saying a small prayer of healing to Illuminatus, she moved closer to inspect the wound. There was no indication of poison, nor infection. Fortunately, if one could call it that, the trap had made a clean cut.

Now, Sarah looked directly at Rozz. She had never noticed how muscular the man was until now. His hair seemed to brighten in the light, and the whites of his brown eyes almost danced in the firelight. Knowing a thing or two of etiquette, the adhiel understood he must have at least some clean habits, for he was without facial hair. Perhaps, Sarah thought, if they had met on better circumstances....

No....now was not the time to be thinking such thoughts...

Post by Guest »

While the blade was heating over the candles flame, Rozz looked up at Sarah and spoke quietly. "Thank you for your help... I'm sorry I held my blade at you so rudely... just bad timing I guess... as you can tell from this place I expected the worse." Rozz paused for a moment as he inspected the blade. "I think it's ready now."

Moving the blade close to his severed stump where his left index finger used to be, Rozz took a deep breath. This was going to hurt alot, but it had to be done...

Tsssssssssss!! The skin and drying blood on the tip of where his finger used to be fused with the heat and shot intense pain down his hand. Rozz yelled though his teeth and threw himself to the side into the wall almost dropping to the floor. He closed his eyes and dropped his sword back to the floor.

He was making alot of noise which didn't help the situation, but niether does losing a finger! After the pain numbed abit, Rozz sat up against the wall and stared at the floor. So much was going through his mind, yet it was all blank.

"I'm sorry, you two... I've let you two down... I've let my whole job down..." Rozz said, almost in delerium. So much had happened that it felt like it would never end.

Post by Guest »

The stench of searing flesh reached Traverses nose at about the same time he heard Rozz's strangled cry of pain and the young half giant felt for achadhiel.

He sensed the light fall across his shoulders as Sarah turned, but he kept his eyes forward and as shielded from the light as possible.

A shiver of sympathy ran through him at Rozz's words, but he stayed quiet, keeping what stealth he could in his semi hidden position.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The finger might have been saved, especially if magickal healing was forthcoming, but as it were, the stump was burned and seared by hot steel, renewed pain shooting through young man's arm and then receding ever so slowly, but never completely leaving. Even the minute of motions brought it back, though it did not bleed anymore. There was still a danger that the burn would fester, but it would be slow in coming and bleeding to death was out of the question now.

No sound came from down bellow, the noise from behind Traverse seemingly alerting whomever it was to where they were. Then, almost as an afterthought to Rozz's words, came a whisper, soft and feminine, the voice musical and alluring. "Leave them. Find me." It was Sarah however that saw a shadow pass across the hallway in front of them, the young guard's frame shielding the light and making it hard to discern just who or what it was, but it was almost certainly a motion, moving from right to left, soundless or at least she could hear nothing of its passing.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.

Post by Guest »

Traverse was straining to hear what was coming from below, and into this pool of silence dropped the words "Leave them. Find me." It took a great deal of self control for the young half giant to not spin around on the spot to locate the source of those words.

By the Red Warrior, now what! Obviously whoever was downstairs knew damned well they were here, and wasn't making any noise to attract attention to themselves, now there was someone else up here as well, Busier that the Citadels Gate, this place. Traverse was getting edgy, this was getting stranger by the flicker.

He wasn't sure if someone wanted Sarah or Rozz to leave the group and follow her, or if there was actually someone else again that they were all about to leave. Traverse was beginning to think that maybe it was their senses they were leaving behind. And that wire trap that had tricked Rozz, what if there were more of them, or something worse. Traverse shivered, he was pretty attached to most of his body parts.

Again he decided to remain silent for the moment, happy to take his lead from the others in the short term, he maintained his vigilance behind them, still wary of whatever lurked below.

Post by Guest »

The moment she saw the soundless shadow, Sarah lost her last nerve. The woman suddenly became very frightened. So much was going on, as it seemed there was someone setting traps, another was likely downstairs, yet another presence might be found in the room, and now this silhouette. If this 'thing' was a person, it knew how to keep quiet, which probably meant it was skilled in combat. With so many other's that might be in the house and the danger rising by the moment, things weren't looking good. After all, Rozz was in no condition to put up a good fight against that many attackers. Sarah knew she was no hero and would be of little use in combat. Traverse, although he had it a little better, being a half giant, would likely be overwhelmed from so many attackers.

"I-I think we should go." The adhiel said, her voice clearly trembling. The darkness only added to her freight, and she just wished they could all leave safely, before something else went wrong. Given the circumstances, Sarah didn't feel any more secure knowing she was in between the two.

Post by Guest »

Rozz grabbed a hold of the hilt of his bastard sword with his right hand and hoisted himself onto his feet. His finger was still hurting, but it was at least numb enough for him to move on without noticing it to much. He stood beside Sarah and said in a lower voice. "I think there is a way that I can redeem myself to the Red Warrior. I was given a task in this house and I am going to finish it! Now we must remian close together, and for the love of the gods, we must be on out best watch to search for traps. Sarah, you will be our light. We will scan each section of the house as we move for traps before we take any steps. Traverse, you keep taking the rear and stay low, but stay ready with your staff... I cannot duel wield in this condition, so I need your help that much more. Now let's get those bastards and make them pay!"

Rozz had given his head a good shake and lost any delerium he once had. If he was going to be an Imperial Guard and a follower of The Red Warrior, he had to suck it up and carry out his mission. Even if he lost both arms and legs, it would be better to carry out his orders than return back empty handed and defeated.

Post by Guest »

Well, it looked like they were about to find out together whatever it was that had just beckoned them.

Sarah's trembling voice caught at Traverse's soul, he didn't like the idea of a female being so worried, it wasn't part of his upbringing, but Rozz seemed pretty gung ho to go on, and splitting up seemed a bad idea at best. "You stay near me Sarah, I make good shield for you." His voice was low and as quiet as he could keep it, rather like rocks slowly rumbling together.

If they were going forward he needed to see where they were headed, turning slowly, and placing one foot carefully after the other, the half giant followed Rozz, careful to check behind and too the sides regularly, his head swivelling from side to side. Going to have a sore neck tomorrow, that's for sure!

"Lead Rozz, I watch back." Again a rumbling whisper, as they started to move, but where?
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The rope that tripped Rozz was still in place, but with the wire that hurt him gone, the trap was pretty much useless now. Onward they went, moving towards the slightly opened door, and with light casting some illumination across the darkened hallway, they were able to glimpse within, the crack revealing legs of someone laying prone upon the floor, facing away from the door, and not moving a muscle.

Of the shadow at the end of the hall that Sarah spied there was not a trace, a sliver of light penetrating the thick curtains, as wind that did not carry to them shifted the heavy fabric. Neither did the lady from the ground floor speak up again, though another sound came from bellow. A loud crack sounded first, followed by almost a dozen loud thuds, then the whole process was repeated, before the house fell into silence once more.

Post by Guest »

As Rozz stared at the body that was laying on the floor motionless, he jerked his head up when the thudding sounded came from below them. He looked at the others and quietly said. "Who ever has done this sounds like they are still in the house... Come on, let's go down stairs. Sarah, stay between me and Traverse but keep a light around us so we can see where we are going. Traverse, you know what to do."

The achadhiel took one last scan in the room where the motionless person was laying, assuming they were dead, before taking lead again to lead the trio down the stairs to where they thought they sound came from. Slowly and carefully was the key.

Post by Guest »

OOC: This can be deleted if required.

I think we might have jumped a few issues here Rozz

Maria sat huddled in the corner, tears streaming freely from her eyes, looking up at her Mistress. Left hand frantically rubbed at her tattered dress, the blood that stained it long gone, but it still felt dirty to her. She dared not move out of the corner, afraid of what might happen to her should the Mistress notice it. Little Tommy stared at her with eyes wide open, sucking on his thumb in another corner, mutely begging Maria to do something. It only made her situation worse than it was and that was a grim thought. The Mistress was gone now, but Maria dared not try to run, remembering what happened to Martha. Or rather remembering what her imagination told her happened to Martha, since all she heard was a scream.

I don't think the room is empty, and I suspect having entered we would not want to just leave, therefore, unless Grey Wolf has a problem ...

IC:

After Rozz had cast a cursory glance over the room, the young half giant stuck his not insignificant melon through the door as well, curious as to what confronted them.

It did seem pretty obvious that someone was dead, and apparently pretty messy at that. But why?

Traverse took his time and scanned the room, surely there must be some clues as to what had happened here. "A minute Rozz, maybe we overlook something. Maybe clue here somewhere." Traverse did not want to spend the next couple of burns running, well OK creeping up and down those stairs, looking for who knows what.

"Sarah, your light perhaps help." Traverse turned their fellow companion, hoping her small light might shed some illumination onto the scene.

Post by Guest »

(OOC: This may seem like a short post, sorry about that! Right now, im having Sarah play the role of support, while you two examine things.)

With so much going on at once, but at the same time silence, all Sarah could do was keep to the middle of the group and follow instructions. She kept the light as steady and high as she could, so that it would shed the most illumination upon their surroundings. Slowly and carefully she followed her two companions, until they came to a room.

When Traverse spoke about their haste in leaving, the woman had to agree. It might be a better idea to search this room for a hint of what happened, before moving on. The half-giant then signaled for the light, and the adhiel brought it over to him rather quickly, so he could make a scan of the room. It might reveal some much needed information about what was going on....

Post by Guest »

OOC: I don't understand what you pionted out with that quote Traverse. Are you saying those two could be in the room? I was just going by the sounds that came from downstairs, I thought that would have been our best clue, the sound of someone thumping below us. But it's ok, we'll check out this room. I'll let Grey Wolf take the next post to let us know what going on. :) But I wrote my last post in such a way that if there was something in that room Grey wolf could cut in and say something:
"The achadhiel took one last scan in the room where the motionless person was laying, assuming they were dead, before taking lead again to lead the trio down the stairs to where they thought they sound came from. Slowly and carefully was the key."
Last edited by Guest on Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The body in the room did not move, but it was obvious that it was a male, laying still, completely nude. Unless he moved inside, there was little else Rozz could spot, but the man did not appear to have any injuries upon his skin. Slightly plump was all that could be said for now, as the trio moved back downstairs, seeking the source of the series of thuds that reached them. It took a flicker or two for the light to enable them to identify the source of the noise, finally a pair of wide planks set across the main doors becoming obvious. A number of nails keeping them secured to the frame. Should one choose to count them, they would realize that the number of thuds was equal to the number of nails sticking out of the planks now. Whomever it was that did the deed, was no longer there, the house eerily quiet all of a sudden.

Post by Guest »

It was clear they weren't going to find anything further from the dead man in the room, and Traverse trailed Rozz down the stairs, keeping Sarah between them. He kept a sharp eye out, checking above and at his feet, as well as to the sides and behind him. The young half giant was getting a substantial crick in his neck swivelling his head in all directions trying to keep eyes everywhere.

Having reached the foot of the stairs, he became aware of the door and the planks nailed across it. "Someone still here. Wood nailed from inside." It was probably an obvious comment, but the eerie silence almost dared them to think the house was now empty.

Traverse gave the planks a careful look, pretty sure that at a pinch he could simply rip them from the door, he doubted it would take much skill, just brute strength, and that was something he had in spades. Now where is the would be carpenter that has nailed those planks up? For some reason it appeared someone didn't want them to leave.

Post by Guest »

Rozz examined the door along with Traverse. This mission was just becoming unreal. It seemed as if someone was playing mindgames with them. With a sigh, the achadhiel looked at the others and said.
"Traverse, do you think you could knock those planks off the doorway?"

It was evident that Rozz was incapable of the task, since one of his hands was out of commission for the time being, and one good hand would not cut it... Not to mention Traverse looked like the strong type.

Post by Guest »

The half giant gave a nod, "I think so. Not look too hard."

Traverse wasn't yet sure if they wanted to pull the planks off, but then again it seemed Rozz had a task to complete, and the young half giant was now helping him out, for whatever reason that might be. So nodding to himself, he took a hold of the first plank and gave it a good heave, levering the power of his half giant frame to try and tug off the first plank.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The plank came off rather easily, but it hid a nasty surprise. With a screech the nails were torn out of the wood, the plank coming free within flickers, revealing a small pouch pressed firmly between the door and the plank. The moment pressure was released it burst into flames, bathing the entire room in brilliant white light. All three of them were blinded for a flicker, but for Sarah and Rozz it was just a temporary effect. Traverse was not so lucky, his vision not returning even as the time passed. Only thing he saw were the colorful lights dancing before his eyes, the rest of the world cast into the darkness. It was then that the whisper came, barely audible to Rozz and Sarah, but quite clear to Traverse now that his vision was not interfering with his hearing. "Such a nice trap you did there, nine-fingers." It was a feminine voice, followed by pearly laughter and a clap-clap-clap of hands, coming from somewhere upstairs.

Post by Guest »

Damn and blast, what in the seven hells was that? The young half giant rubbed his eyes, which were watering with the impact of the blinding flash, but when his vision failed to recover, another thought or two crossed his mind. Last time I listen to someone else, and not go with my own judgement. Knew we should prise those damned boards off.

As he heard the whisper, and the clapping of hands the young half giant became somewhat agitated, so someone called nine fingers, who the hell has nine fingers? set a trap did they, well lets see how he likes this.

Traverse felt his way to the door, squeezing his eyes shut to block out the swirling lights. In the back of his mind he considered the situation, someone he nailed planks from the inside to keep them in, and the trap had been laid from the inside. Therefore, the outside seemed a safer place to be, he was also pretty sure it would be impossible to nail planks inside, and then set a trap outside.

Just as he was about to barrel through the door a light went off in his head. What if someone set a trap outside first, then nailed the door shut with another trap afterwards. At the last moment he restrained himself from throwing his weight at the door, and instead sat down slowly.

"Sarah, I not see well. You help please?" It was pretty sad to see a half giant so despondent, well it would have been if Traverse could have seen himself.

Post by Guest »

When the blinding flash came, Sarah wasn't suprised at the trap. In fact, she suspected as much. If the person doing this to them had seen the group, they would have known that they faced a half-giant. As such, it would be obvious he could rip off a couple of boards. The achadhiel was going to warn them, but didn't have the time before Traverse did his work.

The only thing Sarah couldn't make sense of was the faint voice of the woman she kept hearing. She thought that maybe the others could hear it as well. Nine-Fingers?Could she be referring to Rozz? Sarah did not thing that was likely, as he didn't seem to want to harm them. So then who was this woman and what did she want?

Then Traverse motioned Sarah over. She picked up the lamp and stood beside him, so that she was ready when he needed her.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Awwwww, big lug can't see. Ain't that cute." The voice was back, softest whisper carried on a breeze that seemed to come out of nowhere. Even though Sarah did nothing direct to help Traverse regained sight, her actions did have an effect. As she moved closer, the half-giant could sense that the darkness that filled his vision was not so dark anymore. He did not quite see yet, but as the light came closer his eyes detected the change in the surrounding. His vision was damaged, maybe irreparably, but it still worked.

Return to “Patrician's Ring Archive”