Sabata: a new face in town TI samheen 29 mid day

Moderator: Mods

Sabata: a new face in town TI samheen 29 mid day

Post by Guest »

Halgrin had travelled the mountains and had survived the desert. Somehow though as he gazed upon the city of Sabata; he realized that hiss true journey had begun. He had heard many rumours from the few caravans that he had encountered about Sabata. A city of many faces. To some an oasis in the middle of the desert. To some even a place to begin again. But to others still it would be a place to come and die.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:24 am, edited 7 times in total.
Ilaria da'Margeir.
Special Branch

Post by Ilaria da'Margeir. »

OOC: Hello, Hello!

IC: The port city of Sabata is really the only city in Terra Incognita. On one side lies an ocean of water, and on the other an ocean of sand. Between these the dome city has settled on a broad expanse of solid rock, which clearly defines its borders despite its lack of walls. Each dome is tent-like in appearance, and from every surface protrude spikes, giving the whole city an unwelcome and threatening appearance.

Despite this appearance, the city is known for its welcoming of foreigners and the trade they bring. The streets are wide and filled with vendors of every goods from across the known world, along with its own unusual goods. Where vendors have not taken up residence, entertainers have. Acrobats, snake charmers, musicians and poets fill the city with music and noise that rises above the hawkers shouting there wares and bartering outrageously with prospects.

The city is composed of three main domes, canopying the sky. One shelters mostly businesses and offices, the central dome hovers over the Great Market, and the Third covers the wealthiest of the residential districts. There are other smaller domes scattered around each within the main city wall, like chicks clustered around three mother hens. These tend to house newcomers, sailors and people of the Sands who choose to live part of the year within the city to trade. Lanes and then broad streets connect the domes, usually covered over as well, the shade and sea breezes making the punishing sun more bearable.

Within each dome, great or small, streets and lanes are laid out largely in a spiral or circular pattern, conforming to the domes overhead. Many of these cummulate in a central court, often with a public well or fountain, kept supplied by the underground rivers of fresh water beneath the city itself.

Halgrin was currently standing in the great market area. The sights and sounds were overwhelming for most newcomers. Everywhere, merchants were hawking their wares, claiming that they had the best prices. Most people blindly passed by Halgrin, content to stroll through the market. A few marketgoers looked over Halgrin, curious, as it had been a great many yahren since a dwarf had been seen in these parts.

Off to his left, Halgrin could see a wooden sign that read "Longfellow Institute Owned by Crispin Longfellow, Explorer". Outside the building stood a semi-balding halfling with flaming red curls. To the right he could see a two story building, painted a flamboyant blue color. The elegantly scripted sign read "Rare Blessings". Off in the distance, Halgrin could see the cool marble of the bathhouse.
Now we gotta make the best of it, improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, shit happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it.

Veritas vos liberabit

Image is copyright Electra and www.project812.com

Post by Guest »

Halgrin had a hankering for some burnt meat and fine grog, but he learned the Market was seldom the best place to buy things. More often then not you were asking for a thief to cut your purse. Fighting his temptation Halgrin walked over to the Halfling.

"Would you be Longfellow. If, you are they must be speaking about another part of you because it ain't your height." Halgrin chuckled "If, your not Longfellow What be this place, The Longfellow Institute. Because I am a scout and traveller of sorts and was wondering if you know if they be hiring"
Ilaria da'Margeir.
Special Branch

Longfellow was lost deep in thought when Halgrin approached him. He jumped, and then grinned as Halgrin's words sank in. "Eh, well. You know what they say about halflings with big feet." He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively and winked. "Anyway, I am Crispin Longfellow, famed explorer." He looked Halgrin up and down. "And I just may be hiring. Come inside and have a look."

The Longfellow Institute for Surveying and Expeditionary Adventures was a small shop under the wealthiest of domes. It had a large window in front through which passers by could see countless maps and plotting equipment strewn about a large table. The door, painted a bright read, looked inviting. A brass bell adorned the jam to signal any entrants. It rang softly as Halgrin and Longfellow walked inside.

Opening the door, Halgrin entered an amazing realm of paper and planning. Charts and diagrams of various parts of the world covered the desk. The walls held shelves lined with leather bound books and knick knacks of various sorts. Each item seemed unique, foreign and mysterious.

Longfellow passed up all of the interesting looking charts on the walls and went into the back. He emerged moments later holding a dust covered book. He opened the book and flipped to the middle and then set it down in front of Halgrin, pointing. "Philosopher's Stone. You do know what that is, right? It's said that it can turn almost anything into gold. Of course, it's got other properties, but that is the most important. Said to be out in the middle of the scorching sands of the desert. The way will be fraught with danger, but the rewards will be worth it. You interested?" Longfellow was not one to mince words. He got straight to the point, no pleasantries.
Now we gotta make the best of it, improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, shit happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it.

Veritas vos liberabit

Post by Guest »

Halgrin was not as motivated by gold as most dwarves, but still gold was good. Just like all the mapping gear, odds and, ends were. Not wanting to be to anxious. Halgrin replied calmly,

"Could be if the price be right." Halgrin like the bluntness of the halfling. "Give me few more details and we can go get this stone. Like pay, training, and expedition date."

Halgrin was hooked. He looked for a comfy place to sit so the Halfling could tell him more. Pulling out his empty waterskin, "You wouldn't have a drop or two of Grog it always helps me decide better."
Ilaria da'Margeir.
Special Branch

"Well, I'd base my pay on what kinds of skills you have. You do have skills, don't you?" Longfellow ushered Halgrin to one of the oversized chairs towards the back of the building. "Of course! Where are my manners? It's been a while since I've had anyone even remotely interested in exploration. Most would rather sit in the cities at some comfy job doing mindless work." Longfellow disappeared into the back, only to reemerge with a bottle filled with some kind of dark liquid. "My finest Dortenese Ale! Got it from the Abbey myself. What a trip that was!"

He sat back in his chair, and poured a glass for Halgrin and himself. "Well, I suppose the sooner we leave, the better. Probably within a day or two, if you don't have any pressing matters to attend to. We'll meet up with some of my associates and then we'll be off. If you have basic survival skills, you should be ok. I'll be bringing along plenty of water and supplies, so we should be alright in that area."

Veritas vos liberabit

Post by Guest »

There was a knock, the red door opened with another jingle, and the sunlight was temporarily blocked out as a massive figure tried to navigate its way through an entrance designed for a creature less than half its size. “Sun and Sand, a careless man might be stuck here for the rest of his… ah, much better.”

Once inside, an immaculately groomed half-giant unfurled himself, towering over Halgrin and Crispin with a broad and rather relieved grin. A quick glance around the establishment told him that he had indeed found the right place. He had not been quite sure, being unable to read the sign outside.

“Kal’essen Master Dwarf, Master Halfling. My name is H’saan Alai. I do not disturb anything important, I hope?”
Ilaria da'Margeir.
Special Branch

Longfellow craned his neck back as far as it would go so that he could see the newcomer. Once his eyes met H'saan's, Longfellow's face split into a wide grin. "Welcome, Master Alai! No, you weren't interrupting anything important. I think my spirits were too strong for Master Firefore here. It seems that he's fallen asleep. No matter, someone will be here when he wakes, whether it's me or one of my assistants. Now, what can I do for you," Longfellow asked as he stuck out his hand.

Veritas vos liberabit

Post by Guest »

“The very same question I wished to ask you,” H’saan replied with a gravelly chuckle, reaching down to return the Halfling’s handshake. His grip was sure, but surprisingly delicate; the greeting of a man who knew his own strength and controlled it with care and ease.

“I understand that you are an explorer, Master Longfellow,” he began to explain in his languid way. “I seek… an interesting occupation, so your Institute has a particular attraction for me, although I am considering more than one line of work at present. Now, I have heard only a few tales of your adventures, but from what I know of them I believe that I have skills which may be of use to you.”

Introductions made, the half-giant found an empty space on the floor and set himself down, cross-legged, in order to speak with his prospective employer at a more comfortable height.

“I am, by trade, a healer. I have practised mainly as a physician, although my ability in the chirugeon’s art is growing. Marianna of the Red Tribe has been my dreshi for many yahren now. A fine woman. She has been a mother to me and her people have taught me much, but every bird must leave the nest someday, eh? ”

“I have been taught the ways of the desert – not all of them, but five burns on the Sands will not cause me to perish.” A wry grin accompanied this claim. “I know the properties of the vegetables that grow there and where they may be found, I can hunt with a sling, and hold my own with a quarterstaff although I am no warrior. Furthermore, should Master Firefore wish to rest under more inconvenient circumstances, I can carry him home to recover.”

“I will not claim to having great experience beyond the walls of this city, but I trust that even Crispin Longfellow was once in the same position, eh? So, you have heard what I have to offer. Do you think that a place might be found for me upon your next venture?”
Ilaria da'Margeir.
Special Branch

"Yes, I know Marianna. A fine woman," Longfellow said absently. He studied H'saan for a few flickers before making a decision. "Yes," he said slowly. "I do believe that we would have a place for you on our next journey." Longfellow moved about the room, gathering up maps and books. "Could I offer you some ale? It's the finest Dort has to offer."

After gathering up his maps and charts, Longfellow sat down across from H'saan. "As I was telling Master Firefore here, my next quest is to find the Philosopher's Stone. You do know what that is, don't you? I've been collecting tales about it for some time now, and I believe that I've pinpointed the general area where it rests now."

Veritas vos liberabit

Post by Guest »

“The Philosopher’s Stone.” The half-giant’s long eyes narrowed thoughtfully. “Lapis philosophorum. Yes, I have heard of it. There are those in my profession who dream nightly of obtaining such an artifact.”

Quacks and idlers, mostly. But if it existed, who wouldn’t? Wealth. Spiritual purification. Eternal health and long life. These were only some of the properties the Stone reputedly conferred upon those who possessed it. The stories were so wild that only the most credulous of fools would believe them all. But Crispin Longfellow did not strike H’saan as a fool – for a start, he seemed quite meticulous with his books and his charts. Secondly, no-one in Sabata could afford fine Dortenese ale if they spent their time chasing dreams in the desert; they had to come back with something to show for it. So unless the Halfling was a very good conman, there was probably some evidence for his claim.

H’saan leaned over for a better look at the maps. “I am sure that your hunt for information would make quite a tale in itself,” he said, savouring the ale he had accepted from Longfellow. “It is rare to hear of legends from one who has honestly sought the truth of them. Will you indulge me after our business is concluded? I do not know a great deal about the Stone and I would like to hear more over lunch, at the Crying Dragon perhaps.”

“It is no issue if you do not wish to discuss the expedition publicly, of course,” he added. It was quite possible that the Institute had rivals in pursuit of the same object, and H’saan did not wish to put the explorer’s project at risk – even if he had his doubts about the existence of the Stone in the first place. “I am content to concern myself only with my support capacity – but in order to prepare for this trek there are many things I will need to know. How long is the journey to take? What do you expect to encounter along the way? How many travellers will there be in your party, and what are their positions? How much finance is there for this project and who is in charge of obtaining the supplies?”

He may have been a little hazy about his ambitions, but when it came to performing his work, H'saan was a thorough professional. In this respect, Marianna had taught him well.
Ilaria da'Margeir.
Special Branch

"Oh, I know what you're thinking. Believe me, the Stone is very real. You can ask Marianna. She saw it once, when she was a small girl." Longfellow sighed as he sipped his ale and leaned back in his chair. "Of course I would be happy to talk to you about the legends after we're done here. I just have a bit of business to follow up on, but after that the rest of my day is relatively free."

Longfellow looked at his maps, eyes gleaming as he studied the maps of the desert. "Smart man. I've seen many men try to jump into one of my expeditions without getting the proper information. The journey to the Stone should take about four or five days, depending upon how fast we travel and what we encounter. I won't lie to you, if your looking for an easy crown, then this won't be for you. I fully expect to encounter dragons, bandits, and wilders along the way. There will be 10 people in the party, not including myself or you, should you choose to join us. Ayman of the Yellow tribe will be our scout. He's one of the fastest people that I know and he accompanies me on almost every journey. Baqir of the Red tribe will head up a group of seven Red tribesmen who will be our protection. Fadil of the Black tribe will also be traveling along with us. He is one of the most knowledgable people that I know when it comes to dragons. I had to pay a pretty price to get him to come out of his tent though. Almost all of my ale is gone now," Longfellow muttered. "Ah, but it will be worth it in the end I suppose."

"I will be personally obtaining the supplies for our party. I know exactly what we'll need to get there, and I'm one of the best barterers there is. Don't let Zhanna Boroda know that though, should you ever run into her. She likes to think that she's getting over on me when she sells me stuff, but I know better. She's a big softie when it comes down to it. Speaking of Zhanna, she's the one who will be financing our journey. That woman has got a way about her," Longfellow said with chuckle. "She just barged right in here and plopped a big bag of crowns on my desk and told me to cancel my plans, that I was going to find the Philosopher's Stone for her. Well, she's lucky that I hadn't made any definite plans, I tell you. Ah, she's a good woman. If she didn't have to go and save that blasted husband of hers, then I'm sure she'd be on the trip with us, even though she's got that fair skin of hers. Ah, no matter. She's left me with enough crowns that we'll all be well off once we get back."
Last edited by Ilaria da'Margeir. on Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veritas vos liberabit

Post by Guest »

"MMmgrbl rr- Snort.." Halgrin sputtered awake. "So Crispin, when we going, and aren't you going to fill my stein up. So we were talking about this stone. How far do you think it is from here, and when we do we go for it how many people will be going."

Halgrin noticed the Half giant. He had seen a couple in the past, but did not realize them so sneaky as they could get in with out him seeing them. These few hours must of been solftening him Halgrin thought.
Ilaria da'Margeir.
Special Branch

"Ah, welcome back Master Firefore! I've just covered the basics with Master Alai here, but I'll go over them again for you. Not a problem." Longfellow gathered up Halgrin's stein and took it into the back room. When he emerged, Halgrin's stein was filled with a less...potent ale than had been given to him before. "Now, as I was saying, the journey should take about four or five days. We will leave sometime tomorrow, as soon as I get all of the supplies together and packed up. There will now be...oh thirteen of us, should the both of you decided to accompany me. I fully expect to encounter dragons, wilders, and bandits along the way. Now, if that doesn't scare you off, then you are both welcome to accompany me on my journey." Crispin beamed at the two men, waiting for any questions that the two men might have.

Veritas vos liberabit

Post by Guest »

Halgrin tasted his new ale. Grunbling a bit." well Master Crispin. Just so you know this is fine ale for the likes of me. Nots as good as the last one, but I ain't complaining."

Halgrin looked over the map of the journey. He knew that things would go better in this deal, and he would learn more lore if he played it up a little. Be the stereotypical dwarf. He really did not care about the crowns he was promising, but to be able to work with the three people he mentioned would provide much valuable training. Playing dumb and sleepy sometimes worked to a dwarfs advantage.

"Youse know that 13 is not a good number, but I guess it is okay because they say I ain't that good either. Sounds like we have a deal."

Post by Guest »

H'saan's face fell. "I did not expect that an expedition would be leaving quite so soon - I have a job offer with the Eastern Sands Trading Company which will require me to leave Sabata the day after tomorrow. It will only last for two days, but it will not fit in with your schedule."

He sighed and stared at at his drink for a few moments. "It seems to me that your interests will not suffer if I do not accompany you on this journey, but it will be difficult for Arnaud Corlais to find another man to replace me in his operation. I'm afraid that I will have to decline your offer at this time, Master Longfellow," he said regretfully. "Can you keep me in mind if any other opportunities should arise?"

OOC: The timing of the journey is not good for H'saan now, but he'll be joining you after the Recess. Looking forward to it! :D
Ilaria da'Margeir.
Special Branch

OOC: Ok guys, we're going to end this thread after you respond. Once you guys get your recess posts up, I'll make a new thread with a new timestamp and we can pick up from there!

IC: Longfellow let out a hearty laugh. "Superstition, my friend. I've had plenty of journeys that started out with thirteen people, and came back with all thirteen. Well, except for the one time that I tried to enter the Eastern Empire, but that's a story for another time. My point is, you will be perfectly safe, no matter how many people are journeying with us. Baquir is an excellent fighter, as I'm sure Master Alai could attest to." Longfellow's face fell when H'saan told him that he would not be able to accompany him on the journey. "Well, do as you see fit. I will most definitely keep you in mind once another opportunity arises. And believe me, there's always some kind of opportunity floating around here somewhere. Why, just the other day...." Longfellow was cut off by the slamming of the door to his Institute. A tall Adhiel woman with pale blonde, almost white hair, and milky white skin flew into the room, breathing heavily. Her piercing grey eyes took in the men sitting at the table, and then settled on Lonfellow.

"Now, see here...oh Zhanna! It's you! Why I was just recruting these young men for our journey. What's the matter," he asked, his eyes taking in the fact that she was paler than normal, if that was at all possible. "Forgive me, Crispin, but it's urgent that I speak to you...someplace private. Forgive me, gentlemen, but it will only take a few moments." Longfellow murmered apologies to the two men, and took Zhanna into the back room. They were only in there for a few burns, but when they emerged, Longfellow was pale, and visibly shaken. "Well, gentlemen, it appears that our little journey will be delayed for a while. I must travel with Zhanna to World's Mouth. I will be gone until about Chyril 20th or so. I would ask that you meet me here on the 22nd, and we can continue discussing our journey then. Now, Master Alai, it appears you will have the chance to join us after all, provided that you have no other arrangements. So, is it agreed?"

Veritas vos liberabit

Post by Guest »

Well, this was a curious turn of events. But what was there to lose by accepting?

"Agreed."
Ilaria da'Margeir.
Special Branch

Longfellow nodded. "Well then, I will see the both of you back here on the 22nd, provided that you survive the next few months." With that dismissal, Longfellow disappeared into the back room.

Veritas vos liberabit

Ilaria da'Margeir.
Special Branch

OOC: Skilled!

Veritas vos liberabit

Return to “The Sands Archive”